The Real Madird/Cristiano Ronaldo Champions league tactic disaster!

Hello,

I will give a bit of background first all, I am currently Real Madrid having taken over in October 2012. They were sitting 3rd from bottom in the league (don't ask how) and had 2 points from the first champions league games. The group contains Shakhtar, Feyernood and Anderlecht.

In the league I have been in charge for 6 games, winning 5 and drawing 1. Easy you may say, it is Real Madrid.

However, the champions league is a completely different story. In the two games I have been in charge, a 1-1 draw at home to Anderlecht and a 2-1 defeat away to Feyernood. A total of 8 shots across two games, less than 50% possession in both and quite frankly Feyernoord hammered me.

The formation I play is a 4-2-3-1. Usual team being (forgive my spelling) Casillas, Arbeloa, Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo, Alonso, Khedira, Ozil, Ronaldo, Di Maria and Higuain. I play counter attaching, short passing, fluid football, a high defensive line and press the opposition for possession, basically I am trying to re-create what Barcelona etc do in real life. I try and get the keeper playing the ball out, moving it through the defence into midfield and then the tempo quickens, Alonso/Khedira get the ball wide and we go from there, at pace, using Ronaldo and Di Maria who either cut in side and shoot or fire balls into the ball.

In the league, in the 5 wins I have scored 17 goals, clearly no issue with creating chances and scoring them, but as previously mentioned in the Champions League I am hardly managing a shot, never mind scoring! I watched the Feyernoord game on extended highlights and my team seemed to be all over the place. Alonso was playing the ball in the air at Higuain's head, Ronaldo and Di Maria were firing cross into the ball when there was no one there and as for Ozil...don't get me started. On at least 4 occasions he receive the ball in the central attacking position, turned to face goal, had a great chance to either run at the defence or play a through ball (as he is instructed) and he simply turned back and played the ball back to a defender.

Is there a significant difference in tactical approaches that are needed? I know IRL people say the CL is much more tactical, much more difficult to get results, but are Anderlecht or Feyernoord better than Athletico Bilbao and Valencia, both of whom I have beaten in the league? I know I am based my whole frustration on two games, could it just be my players had a massive off day, similar to Liverpool at Oldham in the cup recently IRL?

Also, Cristinao Ronaldo...the worlds best player arguably. His highest rating so far is 7.3 and that was in my first game in charge. How on earth do I get this guy playing??!! I have played him 3 games at deep forward and he was appalling, 1 at attacking mid and I nearly took him off and a couple out on the wing and again he was very ineffective. I have changed a lot of his personal instructions to include the usual, shoot from distances, beat his man, play with flair etc, however, when he gets the ball he either gives it away with a awful pass or simply gets tackled. His motavation is on poor, could this have something to do with it? Clearly I am not the most well known manager in world football, do you think it may be that he just doesnt' listen to my instructions? In one game in particular against a 3rd division team in the cup, he had a total of 1 shot all game and got a rating of 5.2!!! What's that all about?

I appreciate this has become less a tactic question and more a rant of frustration, but maybe you guys could give me a few pointers.

Thanks

I don't really have tactical answers for you - but I have a suspicion that your European reputation doesn't fluctuate as quickly as your domestic reputation. If Real were so low in the league, you may find opponents playing a more expansive / aggressive game that you'd have thought, thinking that Real are an 'easy' target. This opens up space for you to attack - which Real can do very well ;)

However, in Europe you'll probably find that you are still feared and therefore teams more prepared to put men behind the ball and make you work to get a goal.

I don't think this is going to resolve all of your problems, but it may be worth bearing in mind and perhaps adopting a different (control?) stance in Europe. Think of it as a heads up that your domestic form is improving and opposition will go back to being defensive - so you're likely to come across this problem in the league soon anyway.

Ronaldo in game is sadly not represented very well, being quite far from the actual Ronaldo. I had to use the editor to change his attributes a little in order to get him closer to real life.

I don't use the editor to be honest mate, I agree though, he doesn't seem very good at all on this game so far!

I don't really have tactical answers for you - but I have a suspicion that your European reputation doesn't fluctuate as quickly as your domestic reputation. If Real were so low in the league, you may find opponents playing a more expansive / aggressive game that you'd have thought, thinking that Real are an 'easy' target. This opens up space for you to attack - which Real can do very well ;)

However, in Europe you'll probably find that you are still feared and therefore teams more prepared to put men behind the ball and make you work to get a goal.

I don't think this is going to resolve all of your problems, but it may be worth bearing in mind and perhaps adopting a different (control?) stance in Europe. Think of it as a heads up that your domestic form is improving and opposition will go back to being defensive - so you're likely to come across this problem in the league soon anyway.

God help me if they start doing it to me in the league as well. I have spent most of the day preparing a tactic for the last CL game, home to Shakhtar, if I don't win, I'm out!!

I would go for an attacking strategy with Real Madrid rather than a counter attacking one...

The problem is, when I go all out attack, Pepe seems to have some sort of mental illness and goes wondering off up the pitch, miss controls the ball all the time and I can caught out constantly. I have tried an attacking gameplay twice, once again Real Betis and once again Osasuna, both times I was 2-0 by half time, changed to counter and won 3-2 on both occacasions. Unforutnately I cannot post screen shots so this is difficult to explain/show. Perhaps I just need to do a Mourinho and actually consider my tactics more. I have now spend about 2/3 hours annalying Shahktar, if I don't win this I am giving in I think!

So far I have realised their left back can't defend to save his life, he especially can't head the ball and has no pace, so deep crosses from the right is one option, get CR7 against him at the back post and win a few headers. Also If I can get Ronaldo at him trying to beat him for pace this should be a good option.

Are you able to list out the Roles and Duties you've given everyone, say whether or not you've fiddled with sliders, and say what your Team Instructions are?

In the absence of that sort of info, any suggestions people make are less robust because it's just speculation rather than based on how you are actually set up.

I don't use the editor to be honest mate, I agree though, he doesn't seem very good at all on this game so far!

I can understand that, but the researchers have done a very poor job representing Ronaldo in game. Before the last patch he had a composure 10 . >_>

Im in 2017 with an unedited ronaldo and he barely got around the 20 goal mark in whatever season. Sorry but this is wrong.

I will give it a go

The starting 11 is as follows, brief dets of sliders included,

Casiallas - Sweeper keeper, plays ball short to full backs, no other specific instrustions

Arbeloa - Full back, set to defend not attack. Runs forward never.

Marcelo - Wing back (attack) overlaps, crosses often, gets forward whenever possible.

Pepe/Ramos - both standard CB instructions, pass short and play out of defence.

Alonso, Deep lying play maker, short passing, forward runs never, run with ball never. Shoot from distance is often. Cross from deep 'sometimes' - Mentality is set to defend as want him to sit deep.

Khedira - Similar to Alonso but he is set to be ball winning midfielders, press often, run forward etc never. Cross no. Never shoot. Passing is set to short again.

Ronaldo. Inside Forward on the left. Cuts inside, tries to beat opponent, shoots from distance, crosses often. Flair set to very high and free role ticked, basically do whatever he wants!

Ozil - attacking play maker. Centre of the attacking 3. Through balls often, run with ball often. Shoot from distance no. Cross no (as he should never be wide).

Di Maria the same as Ronaldo.

Higuain - poacher, set to run onto through balls. I did have him set to advanced forward but he was awful. Not a lot of instructions given really as thought it was quite straight forward, stand in the box and score.

Does this help?

Is it the 4-2-3-1 Deep (DMs) or the normal one (MCs)?

Initially I'd be concerned if it's the MC variant that you have Alonso on Support rather than Defend, and it seems that you have manually overridden lots of individual sliders? That's a messy business and should only be attempted if you know precisely what you're doing.

I have Alonso and Khedira both set to Defend purely to stop them running forward and leaving gaps. If my full backs, or at least one is overlapping, I don't want to leave just 2 defenders back?

It is a 4-2(dm)- 3(2 IF and a AM) and 1 striker formation?

Regarding Ronaldo, I would play him as AML inside fwd attack with lots of freedom and wide play "move into channel" instead of cut inside so when he's not on the ball he'll move inside to the box just like IRL however be sure to set your striker as DLF/ Treq so he'll drop deep , pulling defenders out and making space for Ronaldo to attack.

Archived