SHOUTS - Do These Make Sense?

I am wanting to add shouts to my normal set of 3 tactics(Counter, Standard and Control) which i'm hoping will make them even better and was wondering if anyone knows enough about them to know what works best with what?

I am also setting up a "Need A Goal" tactic for last 15-20 minutes of a game and wondered if these instructions are ok?

Overload

Pump ball into box

Play wider

Push higher up

Get ball forward

Stand off opponents

Take more risks

For a "Shut Up Shop" tactic?

Contain

Stay on feet

Play narrower

Drop deeper

Take a breather

Retain possession

Play even safer

Pass to feet

I'd be interested to hear if these are any good? plus, if anyone can suggest any pre-game shouts for these tactics?

Standard - Used at Home against bigger clubs and Away against similar clubs

Counter - Used Away against bigger clubs(and when 2 goals up Home or Away)

Control - Used at Home against similar and weaker clubs(and when away to very small clubs or lower league clubs)

Appreciate any input

I guess they kinda make sense, though like everything FM, it depends on your team.

Some issues I might have with the Overload setting is that by playing wide you are spreading your players out and in many cases moving them away from the box. If you are pumping the ball into the box who will be there to receive it? If you are playing wider and you also happen to have players out wide, you might want consider 'clearing ball to flanks'.

The shout, 'play wider', if i recall correctly, also focuses passing down the flanks. So, just be aware of that.

If you want to stick with 'pump ball into the box, you might want to consider focusing play through the middle.

If you have fast players then the throughball shout is good. Assuming that if you are chasing a goal you have probably increased your stategy to control or higher, with the Overload shout, you will be highly vulnerable to the counter attack.

In relation to the Contain shouts.

Be careful with playing to deep. Again and similr to above but in reverse. If you are shutting up shop, I'm guessing you have switched tactics which means you will have an incredible deep defence line. Unless you have a DM or two, you will be ripe for longshots.

Try not to go to defensive unless you have too.

LAM

I wouldn't 'stand off opponents' in the Overload setup. That will reduce all pressing to a minimum, meaning you'll struggle to get the ball back and be hammered on the counter. I'd Hassle Opponents. Stand Off Opponents is more suited to a Shut Up Shot approach, although you can use Hassle to see out a game as well.

Zero closing down i.e. Stand-off is actually plain unrealistic in the modern game of football. My advice, don't bother with it.

Not sure I agree with Hassle all-over-the-pitch either in the dying minutes. Going contain itself should be enough as the most important thing is increase time-wasting which that strategy does. If you want to do one more defensive thing then maybe flick to man-marking if you aren't already doing so but that's perhaps a user preference thing.

Looking at the rest. Don't push up and take more risks or you'll simply force to many through balls too high up the pitch.

Don't drop deep / contain / stand off or players will be dribbling into your goalmouth.

Zero closing down i.e. Stand-off is actually plain unrealistic in the modern game of football. My advice, don't bother with it.

Not sure I agree with Hassle all-over-the-pitch either in the dying minutes. Going contain itself should be enough as the most important thing is increase time-wasting which that strategy does. If you want to do one more defensive thing then maybe flick to man-marking if you aren't already doing so but that's perhaps a user preference thing.

Looking at the rest. Don't push up and take more risks or you'll simply force to many through balls too high up the pitch.

Don't drop deep / contain / stand off or players will be dribbling into your goalmouth.

I don't use Hassle and Contain personally. However, I once got my ass handed to me by Ov Collyer when he snuck an early goal and then played Contain and Hassle the whole match. So it does work.

I don't use Hassle and Contain personally. However, I once got my ass handed to me by Ov Collyer when he snuck an early goal and then played Contain and Hassle the whole match. So it does work.

Haha - this I find funny - proper smash and grab football

wwfan posted this last time.

Shouting Strategies: Defensive

1: Deep Defence

Stand Off, Drop Deep, Easy Tackling (gets men behind the ball and holds position rather than tryin to win the ball)

2: Pressing Defence

Reduce Space (Narrower, Higher), Get Ball Forward, Hassle Opposition (reduces space in all parts of the pitch)

3: Aggressive Defence

As 2, but include Get Stuck In (adds some bite to the above, which can be useful to bully less physically strong teams out of their stride)

4: Channel the Opposition (useful against narrow formations if you are wide)

Play Narrower, Drop Deeper, Hassle Opposition, Exploit the Flanks (reduces possibility of outballs and the breaking the offside line and attacks space on the counter)

5: Defend the Flanks (useful against wide formations if you are narrow)

Play Wider, Push Up, Target Wingers and FBs in OI instructions, Exploit the Middle (holds a higher, wider line in the final third to make getting round the back more difficult and attacks down the middle on the counter)

6: Play Keep Ball

Retain Possession, Pass to Feet, Stand Off, Work Ball into Box, Take a Breather (aims to keep possession above all else. Very useful for sides with a technical advantage)

7: Clear the Lines

Counter, Get Ball Forward, Clear Ball to Flanks, Pass into Space, Shoot on Sight (aims to quickly get the ball down the pitch and away from the danger area)

8: Wet Weather

Get Stuck In, Clear Ball to Flanks, Get Ball Forward, Play Wider (turns the middle of the pitch into an attritional mudbath and quickly gets down the flanks on the counter)

9: Timewaste (for technically poor sides)

Contain, Play Even Safer, Pass to Feet, Clear Ball to Flanks, Shoot on Sight (gets ball out of play and wastes time in retrieving it)

I wouldn't 'stand off opponents' in the Overload setup. That will reduce all pressing to a minimum, meaning you'll struggle to get the ball back and be hammered on the counter. I'd Hassle Opponents. Stand Off Opponents is more suited to a Shut Up Shot approach, although you can use Hassle to see out a game as well.

Oooops, thats a posting error, appreciate all the advice :thup:

Archived