Rob Ridgway's "Rat Pack"

tenthreeleader

Jen, thank you for helping Rob's knowledge of fine singing :D ... SCIAG, Hoosiers was a great movie! Or did you mean something else? ;)

___

Saturday, November 22

West Bromwich Albion (3-3-8, 17th place) v Reading (8-6-0, 3rd place) – EPL Match Day #15

There have been moments in my career, both on and off the pitch, when I have wondered why I got out of bed in the morning.

Today was one of those days. Fifteen minutes into today’s match, Lobont was picking the ball out of his goal for the second time and our carefully laid plans for dealing with the struggling Baggies were in shreds right there in front of God and everybody.

From the start of the match it looked like we might have an easier time. Five West Brom players were out due to injury or suspension so as I gave the pre-match team talk my thoughts were on staying focused to get the job done.

We were strong favorites for the match and with the early-season pressure starting to build, focus and relieving pressure were my goals. In that order.

“Play how you can play and you’ll get this result,” I urged them. “Now let’s make this happen today.”

We made nothing happen, right from the opening whistle. The Hawthorns wasn’t even full – today’s announced attendance of 21,382 was about 25 percent short of capacity – so we faced a 17th placed opponent playing before a subdued home crowd. In short, a nearly ideal road situation for a top-four side to work with.

And we promptly made a hash of it. Despite all the advantages – five regulars out, an opponent in relative discomfort and a comparatively pedestrian home crowd – Carl Hoefkens stood at the penalty spot with the ball in his hand, put there by referee Howard Webb. Sonko had done the deed, tripping Colautti in a clumsy challenge just nine minutes into the match.

Hoefkens then scored his first goal of the season, sending Lobont the wrong way from the spot to put West Brom into the lead. Whatever I had thought about the Midlands crowd being pedestrian could now be put to bed. They were alive and into the match, singing as loudly as half again their number.

We’ve been behind before, and lately our pattern seems to have been to concede first. We weren’t in a position we haven’t faced before, so we resumed play with our usual calm, confident approach.

That is, until Colautti entered the area to Lobont’s right five minutes later. Sonko, by now playing more tentatively after conceding the penalty, didn’t get him closed down and the striker bent a smartly-taken effort around my keeper on fifteen minutes to put us down by a pair of goals.

The Baggies supporters were coming unhinged, it appeared. Stealing one march on us was one thing, but getting a second so soon afterwards was the stuff of ecstacy. Colautti’s sixth goal of the season had us in real trouble.

As one, a group of sheepish players looked to me for instructions. I waved for Maloney and the Scotsman approached at a sprint.

“Get them forward but do it carefully,” I said. “They’ll look to counter. I want pressure on the ball and I want them closed down. Go.”

We kicked off and proceeded to follow our horror-show quarter-hour with a drab display for the next twenty minutes. The best thing I could say about that time was that West Brom didn’t score again – and actually, they didn’t even threaten after Colautti’s goal. My players were quite mindful of their responsibilities against the counter, but our offensive application was being squeezed right out of us through strong midfield play.

They had Maloney scouted especially well, with the raider unable to avoid the attention of Hoefkens in particular, so our offensive nous was not unlike that of a monster truck spinning its wheels in mud. We were working hard but creating a frightful mess.

It took us 41 minutes to register our first shot on target, with Jamie Ashdown collecting comfortably from Dagoberto’s long range effort. Our next attempt came sooner but was no less feeble, as a long effort from Pogatetz, of all people, flew harmlessly over the bar.

We were listless, lifeless and in danger of getting run right out of the match. Webb blew for halftime and I finally got the chance to address the squad in the manner I felt was appropriate.

# # #

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, here's what Rob has in mind for his charges at halftime. It reminds me a bit of Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach John McKay, who after a loss was once asked what he thought of his players' execution. "It sounds like a good idea," he replied.

___

“What dreck,” I spat.

No one made a sound in reply.

“What absolute, utter dreck,” I repeated, warming to my task. “Premiership contender? Please. I ask one thing from you – go out and take the seventeenth place club in the league by the throat – and what I see reminds me of Sunday league. What on earth are you playing at out there?”

“You know, we worked all week on a plan for this match. We know they’ve got so many players injured or suspended that they’re practically using their ball boys as bench players. And they’re handing you your heads in baskets – gentlemen!”

I circled the room like a hawk searching for prey. No one moved a muscle in response.

“If you need me to stand in front of you and tell you how awful that was, I give up,” I said. “Yes, you’re away from home but you’re playing against about half their regular eleven and they’ve kicked you right where it hurts for 45 solid minutes. I expect better out of you in the second half. You can beat them for pace, you can beat them over the top, you can do pretty much as you like as the video showed – but so far you haven’t chosen to do any of those things. You’re getting stuffed as a result, and you deserve it.”

My face started to get red as for the first time, my “hair dryer” got good and warm.

“Maybe you’re due for a bad game. Maybe you’re due to get beat after this run. So if any of you think that’s true, then tell me and I’ll get you out of there. I’ve got a nice warm spot on the bench for anyone who wants to come up to me right now and tell me they can’t hack it. I’ll be in my office. Kevin, the floor is yours.”

Talk about an introduction. Dillon got up to give his tactical summary and was just as snarky as I had been. Well, I get to have emotions too. It’s not all about the players, despite what some of them try to tell you.

Mowbray looked well satisfied as the teams took the pitch for the second half, but I’ve been in his position before and dropped points. A fired-up team can sometimes do wonders in the second half of a match seemingly lost and I was banking on a better performance from my unchanged eleven in the second half.

I wanted them to play their way out of their torpor. There are times when substitution is necessary to get players’ attention – but there are also times when you need to let those who got you into a mess try to get you out.

Immediately, we were brighter as the second half kicked off. We got the ball deep, took it right to the byline, and rammed it into the box looking for a power route to goal.

West Brom backed into a shell – early, but a shell nonetheless – and started to defend desperately. Kitson had a header saved by Ashdown, who tipped over the bar while falling backwards to give us a corner. Maloney’s effort was then headed behind by Hoefkens for another corner.

And so it went. We earned five of them in the first eleven minutes of the second half as we really started to put on the pressure. However, our application was lacking from the set piece and as the minutes dragged on, we still trailed by two.

We went on another flurry at the hour mark. Faé’s cross from the byline found Maloney cruising in the area, with the raider’s shot deflected behind off a group of players in front of the goal. We got the corner and Maloney headed off to do his work once more.

This time, we had some success. Shaun’s effort into the six-yard box missed the leaping Sonko, on to challenge the keeper – but found Kalou, who had slipped his marker near the far post. Salomon’s header bounced once on its way to goal but found its way into the back of the net on 63 minutes to give us a lifeline and the scorer his fourth tally of the season.

From that point forward, we started to play with some real fire. Attacking toward our away support in the Smethwick End, it was almost as if our fans were willing the ball toward them like it was magnetized. The pressure grew after our first goal, and we generated two more corners in the first three minutes after scoring.

The look of dismay on Mowbray’s face in the opposite technical area suggested he knew what was ahead. I’ve had it happen to me twice in the last six weeks – and today it happened to someone else.

When it happened, it was quick and deadly. Kalou started it, taking Pazienza’s pass down the left but belying his usual tendency by cutting to the middle with the ball as Maloney swept behind him to the left.

Kalou feinted towards Maloney and then spotted the run of Kitson, who had zoomed inside the path of Hoefkens and had position on the defender, who was now on his outside shoulder. Kalou’s weighted lead ball was perfect, finding the targetman in full flight.

Kitson controlled with a wonderful first touch and slammed a quick shot past Ashdown on 70 minutes to get us level. Half the Smethwick End went nuts while the other half remained completely silent.

Back on terms, we piled forward looking for a winner. The eleven who had got us into the hole had now dug us out of it and were looking for the full redemption that a third goal would bring.

Dagoberto, on a comparative goal scoring drought, now took over the match. On 75 minutes, he showed the defense a surprising burst of pace after Faé’s raking 40-yard ball bounced past the central defense. He controlled smartly, moved into the penalty area, and gave Ashdown a head fake before whipping a powerful shot to the lower left corner of the keeper’s goal.

Only Ashdown didn’t buy the fake, diving to his left to see the shot wide of the post. He would have had the angle covered in any event and my striker knew it.

From the goal kick, we got possession back immediately and Pazienza then sent Maloney away with a perfectly threaded through ball. West Brom’s back line was being shredded for pace, and again Ashdown had to stare down a great scoring opportunity.

This time Maloney’s drive went over the top, and I was left to rue two excellent opportunities in the late going, both missed.

There wouldn’t be any more.

West Bromwich Albion 2 (Carl Hoefkens 1st, pen 10; Roberto Colautti 6th, 15)

Reading 2 (Kalou 4th, 63; Kitson 4th, 70)

A – 21,382, The Hawthorns, West Bromwich

Man of the Match - Salomon Kalou, Reading (3)

# # #

“So much better, I can’t even describe it.”

I was speaking to Bobby Hopkins of Setanta after the match, in response to his question about the difference in my team after halftime.

“No disrespect to West Brom but in the first half we were just horrible and they took full advantage,” I said. “We came out in the second half as a much different team and it really showed.”

“Did you turn the air blue?” he asked with a smile.

“Darned right I did,” I answered, truthfully. “I did remind them, though, that there is never a good time to let up on the pitch - especially not when you’re protecting a run of fourteen league matches unbeaten.”

“They let up?”

That was a dangerous phrase to use and I knew it. “We weren’t doing what was required,” I corrected. “The things we need to do – the things any team needs to do to be successful – we just weren’t doing. Our passing was poor, our defending was poor, we gave away a penalty, you name it. We weren’t doing it. I reminded the players of their obligations and they responded.”

“Penalties have been a problem for you,” I was informed.

“Very observant,” I said, chafing a bit at the thought. “However, they tell me these things even out in football so we’ll be looking forward to that day when it comes. Right now, we’re in a bit of a bad patch in that department and we just have to keep working hard to make the calls go our way. If defenders are in the proper position, and make sound, fundamental plays, they are less likely to give away penalties. That is my job to encourage.”

# # #

The “Big Four” matchups have helped us gain ground.

First to the leaders – Arsenal got a goal on two minutes from Emanuel Adebayor at Anfield but Fernando Torres hauled the champions back with a brace in just seven minutes in the first half. That was the way it ended – Liverpool 2-1 Arsenal, dropping their lead to three points and pushing Liverpool to fifth.

United went to Stamford Bridge and ground out a goalless draw with the Blues. From what I could tell on replay, Chelsea had the better of the play on their own patch, but United deserved their point. So second place and fourth place stay the same.

Spurs continue to slide, falling 1-0 to Everton with Andy Johnson scoring the only goal of the match. After such a bright start, Martin Jol’s men are now ninth in the table and in dire need of a turnaround.

Bolton may have gotten the goal of the season today from Kevin Nolan in their 2-2 draw with Derby. Ten minutes into the second half, Nolan scored from fully 35 yards on a free kick that amazingly gave Stephen Bywater no chance, banking off the keeper’s left post and in. It was just a wonder goal and I actually watched the replay half a dozen times due to not being able to believe my eyes. Gavin McCann scored Bolton’s other goal, while Nene and Sebastian Mila scored for Derby.

Newcastle continues to hover just above the relegation places. Christopher Samba opened the scoring for them nine minutes into the match at home to Aston Villa, but Ashley Young equalized ten minutes later and the result stuck in a 1-1 draw.

Valery Bojinov scored fifteen minutes from time for Manchester City, which beat Blackburn 1-0, and in a match someone was bound to win, Radek Sirl’s goal on 57 minutes propelled 18th place Birmingham past tail-end Cardiff 1-0.

# # #

tenthreeleader; this is truly inspiring. It really is a fantastic read. I haven't posted in this before but i follow it everyday to see if there is a new spectacular update. The way the story is set out is great, match reports are incredible, the side story of robs family and personal life is magnificent. This is definatly the best story on this board and ive read my fair share on here.

who knows, this could be good eough to get published into a real book. It's certaintly good enough. It keeps a 14 year old like me interested and thats no mean feat:D

keep this up, it really is top notch.

TaylorB, thank you very much for one of the nicest things anyone has ever written about my work. Welcome to the "Rat Pack"!

___

Sunday, November 23

“Rob, I don’t mean to disturb you on a Sunday, but I wanted to wait until an off day to discuss this letter from Sidney Richmond.”

Madejski’s Sunday afternoon phone call was necessary but I don’t think either of us really wanted to have to talk today. I’m disappointed we didn’t get a result yesterday so I was in a bit of a sour mood. Yet that mood paled in significance to that of my chairman.

“I own this club,” he explained to me. “If there is to be a Director of Football here it will be my decision to hire one, not Sidney Richmond’s. Still, I am sure you’re aware that if this winds up in the press we’ll have questions to answer.”

“Of course,” I replied. I moved to my den to continue the call so as not to disturb Patty, who was napping peacefully on the couch next to me.

“Rob, I’m not as upset about the whole Gúti situation as Sidney is,” he explained. “In fact, I hold the opposite view.”

“In what way?” I asked.

“Ambition, Rob,” he said. “I understand that at this point in time we are not yet a destination point for world stars – we can’t afford them as a rule, and until the stadium expansion is finished we can’t really consider outlandish expenditures. Yet, this purchase would have been for a name player who would have raised our profile. Sidney does not understand that sometimes ambition fails. You simply have to try again.”

“But wouldn’t a Director of Football be able to take the next step?” I asked. “Playing the Devil’s Advocate, of course.”

“You’ve brought in good players,” he said. “Really, the form of those players you’ve bought has been a key reason we are in third position at the moment. I see no reason to disturb the harmony of the squad you have built. And if that is what we tell the press, then that is what we tell the press. Clear?”

“Perfectly,” I said. “Enjoy your day.”

# # #

Patty didn’t feel well again this morning. She would prefer to be in better physical condition for her meetings this week, but morning sickness strikes when it wants to strike. So she slept for a good portion of the afternoon while I watched West Ham on television.

They’re our next opponent and to say that Dean Ashton has my undivided attention is an understatement. He scored both the Hammers’ goals, on either side of the interval, in a 2-0 win at home to Middlesbrough. He is the leading scorer in the league, with 15 goals from 15 matches, and has 18 in all competitions.

His form has been exceptional but what I admire most is his confidence. He’s not afraid to shoot from virtually any location where he can see the goal, and when enough of those shots go in, that feeling of confidence has to just snowball.

I can’t say for sure, though. I scored two dozen goals in my entire career, so I guess I’ve never been in that kind of scoring groove.

I almost feel badly for Roland Nilsson, too. Almost. With twelve minutes to play in Pompey’s match at The Valley this afternoon it appeared the teams would play a goalless draw. Then Landon Donovan found the range for Portsmouth to give them a late breakthrough.

Celebration time, right? Well, no. Two minutes later, Yassin Moutaouakil equalized for Charlton and then Portsmouth’s Luizao put through his own goal four minutes from time. So Nilsson had snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, with Charlton gaining a 2-1 triumph.

The halfway point of the season is looming large. Our FA Cup draw is coming up within the next ten days and most importantly I’ve got all sorts of wonderful new things to explore with Patty. It’s an exciting time. Yet as we prepare for that time, I’ve got an internal fight with a board member coming up, Kate’s divorce proceedings are looming large, and we need to keep getting results while being unable to “sneak up” on anyone in our league.

I hope the ride won’t be too wild. Somehow, though, I doubt I’ll get my wish.

# # #

| Pos   | Team          | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Arsenal       | 15    | 11    | 1     | 3     | 27    | 12    | +15   | 34    | 
| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Chelsea       | 15    | 8     | 7     | 0     | 25    | 6     | +19   | 31    | 
[b]| 3rd   | Reading       | 15    | 8     | 7     | 0     | 32    | 20    | +12   | 31    | [/b]
| 4th   | Man Utd       | 15    | 8     | 4     | 3     | 25    | 15    | +10   | 28    | 
| 5th   | Liverpool     | 15    | 7     | 5     | 3     | 24    | 14    | +10   | 26    | 
| 6th   | Aston Villa   | 15    | 6     | 6     | 3     | 23    | 17    | +6    | 24    | 
| 7th   | Bolton        | 15    | 7     | 3     | 5     | 21    | 18    | +3    | 24    | 
| 8th   | West Ham      | 14    | 8     | 0     | 6     | 24    | 25    | -1    | 24    | 
| 9th   | Tottenham     | 15    | 6     | 3     | 6     | 24    | 22    | +2    | 21    | 
| 10th  | Everton       | 15    | 4     | 8     | 3     | 14    | 11    | +3    | 20    | 
| 11th  | Man City      | 15    | 5     | 5     | 5     | 15    | 16    | -1    | 20    | 
| 12th  | Middlesbrough | 14    | 6     | 1     | 7     | 23    | 23    | 0     | 19    | 
| 13th  | Portsmouth    | 14    | 4     | 6     | 4     | 25    | 22    | +3    | 18    | 
| 14th  | Charlton      | 14    | 3     | 7     | 4     | 19    | 27    | -8    | 16    | 
| 15th  | Blackburn     | 15    | 5     | 1     | 9     | 16    | 26    | -10   | 16    | 
| 16th  | Newcastle     | 15    | 3     | 4     | 8     | 16    | 23    | -7    | 13    | 
| 17th  | West Brom     | 15    | 3     | 4     | 8     | 20    | 29    | -9    | 13    | 
| 18th  | Birmingham    | 15    | 3     | 2     | 10    | 12    | 24    | -12   | 11    | 
| 19th  | Derby         | 15    | 2     | 4     | 9     | 17    | 28    | -11   | 10    | 
| 20th  | Cardiff       | 15    | 1     | 2     | 12    | 6     | 30    | -24   | 5     | 

Monday, November 24

Mercifully, Patty got up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this morning, ready to head to London for her first meeting with IMG’s staff.

“What’s this?” I asked, as she emerged from the shower toweling her lovely red hair. “Aren’t you supposed to be in bed?”

“Funny man,” she said, playfully snapping me with the towel as she headed into the master bedroom. “I happen to feel very good today, thanks for asking.”

“Wonderful,” I said, rubbing my leg where the towel had struck me. “Really marvelous.”

“We’re supposed to talk about company business today,” she said. “Then after work, I’m going to meet with them again about my own career.”

“Bring Freddie,” I advised.

“He’s going to be there,” my wife said. “I may be naïve, Rob, but I’m not stupid.”

“I never suggested you were,” I said, still rubbing my leg. “I’m sure Freddie will do a great job for you.”

“And us,” she said, now crossing to me to apologize for creating a strawberry on my leg. “This is as much about us as it is about anything else.”

# # #

Now that I’ve had some time to get to know my players, I’m starting to pair up veterans with youngsters in tutoring arrangements.

I want the players who are best able to handle the assignment to bring along our best young talent. That involves making character decisions about my senior squad as well as figuring out who could most use the help a veteran can provide.

There are two youth players who are cursed with vast potential: Craig Cathcart and Simon Shaw. Both are relatively new to the club, with Cathcart coming over on a Bosman in the summer and Shaw arriving from Newcastle in the August window.

If properly tutored, both could wind up very, very good players for this club. Shaw has been virtually the only bright spot on the u-18 team and has played about half the reserve matches as well, to bring him along. Cathcart is the Northern Ireland u-21 captain and has played for us in the Carling Cup.

Together, they are a big part of our future. So choosing tutors for them deserves careful consideration.

The players I’ve asked to do the tutoring are Lobont and Sonko. I met with the four players before the senior squad watched video of West Ham this morning and told them of my plans.

I received four nods of agreement. The young players need to know that I rate them and value their futures with the club and this is a good way to do it. The veterans know that I trust them, and their professionalism, enough to give them a prize younger player in charge.

“I need the very best from you veterans,” I told Lobont and Sonko after the young players had been dismissed to their training. “Those two players are a big part of our future and I need you to handle it well. You probably had mentors to bring you along when you were younger. Well, now it’s your turn to hand the baton. Clear?”

I got two nods of agreement this time, followed by a smile from the ever-energetic Lobont.

“It’ll be a pleasure, boss,” he said.

# # #

“Gentlemen, this is the man we have to stop.”

I had Andrew Waters put all fifteen of Ashton’s league goals on a DVD, edited end to end.

“It’s only the end of November, fellows,” I said, while the video was playing. “Does anyone else get the message here?”

“He’s got a streak that’s going to end?” Pogatetz offered. I enjoy his carefree spirit in training, but so far keeping him focused has been a bit of a challenge.

“I like your optimism, Emanuel, but not without a whole lot of work,” I replied. “Given space, Ashton is going to create a horribly long day for us. Today’s video work for the defenders will focus on how he finds that space. He’s one we’ll have to watch very carefully and I’ll expect focus in training toward getting him stopped.”

# # #

I made that point abundantly clear in my Monday media session as well.

“Do we respect him? Absolutely,” I said. “Are we going to let him dictate how we play? Absolutely not. The moment we do that, we quit playing to our strengths and I can’t let that happen.”

“No one’s been able to stop him,” I was reminded. “What will make you different?”

“Hopefully, a better sense of understanding how he works,” I said. “That said, Ashton is a fine athlete and he can make his own opportunities. They’ve got a real player, no question about it.”

“Perhaps more importantly, how do you stop the trend of slow starts we’ve seen from your club in recent weeks?”

“Great question,” I said. “If I had an answer we’d be top of the table. But I don’t have one quite yet, so we’re third. I think one of our strengths is that we are as resilient a club as I’ve ever been around. We don’t seem to let a whole lot faze us and that’s a quality that I think most clubs would love to have. When we get down, we don’t stay down, and when we lose a lead so far we’ve been able to keep our ship steady until the end of the match. I give the players full marks for that.”

“Is that why you wear rats on your training kit?”

I smiled. “That’s a team secret,” I said.

# # #

Tuesday, November 25

I could just cry.

I arrived on the training pitch this morning to find the physios working over Lehmann. In the start of his second workout with the club, he had broken down in training, falling hard on his shoulder during the first set of keeper drills.

“He can’t raise his arm over his head,” I was told. “He’ll need to go to hospital.”

“Absolutely unbelievable,” I sighed, stopping to check on our injured trialist before he was gently assisted to his feet with his shoulder wrapped against his body.

“Separated?” I asked.

“Looks like it. But I think it separated and went right back in. Still, there’s no way he could play in that reserve match.”

“If it separated, I suppose there’s no way he can finish his trial, either,” I said. “Any idea how bad?”

“Even if it’s not separated, he’d be looking at an absolute minimum of two weeks out. I’m sorry, Rob.”

“I know,” I said. “It can’t be helped. When he gets back from hospital, we’ll talk. Thanks for your help.”

# # #

My bride is on top of the world this morning. She’s considering leaving her job.

The meeting with IMG went so well – the second one, not so much the first one – that she may decide she wants simply to take jobs as they come. Actually, it’s a relief for her, as things haven’t gotten much better for her in the office.

I guess that surprises me. Things are going well for me, and that ought to mean they’re going reasonably well for her. In other situations I’m familiar with, spouses of unsuccessful players and managers tend to lay low. When the club is winning, it’s just easier to be out in public.

We’re playing well enough, we’re in a good league position, and she can’t get traction in her own office. That’s disappointing to me. I’ve told her before that if she wants to leave I’d actually encourage it, and that is certainly true now.

She was positively breezy today as we got out of bed, and even a little queasiness upon arising couldn’t dampen her spirits.

Patty seems genuinely happy about work for the first time since she took her job, and that’s a real load off of my mind.

So we talked about it. “They’re talking about making an offer through Freddie,” she said. “It would probably involve some travel.”

“How much?” I asked. “More than me?”

“I don’t know yet,” she said. “They want to do a couple of test shoots to see if I really am viable in the field, and they’ll let me know. But they’re interested.”

“They have to get in line,” I said, and she blushed prettily. “You’re taken.”

“I’m glad,” she said, as I prepared a modest breakfast for her.

“What happens when you start to show the baby?” I asked.

“I don’t know,” she said. “That’s probably why they didn’t make an offer right away.”

“Maternity modeling is all the rage now,” I said, which made Patty’s face light up.

“I’d like that,” she admitted. “Sooner or later, people will figure it out.”

# # #

Wednesday, November 26

They’ve figured it out.

Eaton called this morning while we were on lunch break at the ground. “I’ve got four media enquiries as to your wife’s potential family situation,” he said, as diplomatically as he could. “Do you wish to make a statement?”

“Not from my office,” I said. “I’ll talk with you when I am in a private setting. What have you been asked?”

“To confirm a paparazzi snap from your shopping trip with Patty,” he said. “You were rather blatantly looking at baby furniture.”

I laughed. “Well, between you and me, Freddie, I suppose the cat’s out of the bag. We talked about that possibility when we went shopping. Yes, Patty is pregnant but we’re waiting a bit longer to make sure nothing bad happens before we make any announcement.”

“Sensible,” he said. “We’ll talk later today, then. Feel free to ring when it’s convenient.”

# # #

Light Blues supporters have some reason to smile this morning. Rangers picked up a huge point in their Champions League qualifying group last night thanks to American international DaMarcus Beasley.

“Run DMB” scored a huge goal twenty minutes from time to give Walter Smith’s side a 1-1 draw with Juventus at Ibrox and set them up for possible qualification into the knockout stages. A draw in their final match at Rapid Bucharest will ensure no worse than the UEFA Cup for my old club, and a win might mean more, as Juventus plays Arsenal in the final group stage match.

The Gunners got a first-half goal from Gael Clichy and held on to beat Rapid 1-0 in the other match last night, and Chelsea stumbled at home to Sporting Lisbon in a 1-1 draw. Group F has proven a surprisingly difficult nut for Avram Grant’s men to crack – with one match remaining in the group stage, no team has qualified for the knockout stages and no one has been eliminated. Bordeaux and Standard Liege have provided stiff opposition and that group will go right down to the wire.

# # #

I also talked with Lehmann today. That was a difficult conversation to have.

He sat in my office, his arm immobiziled, and we agreed there was no option but to end his trial at the club.

“I’d like to know through your agent when you’re healed,” I told him. “I don’t consider this to have been anything like a fair test and I would be interested in discussing another trial with you if you’re interested.”

“I’ll consider it,” he said. “I just wish I had had an opportunity before being injured.”

“I’d still like to provide that opportunity,” I said. “This is just the wrong thing happening at the wrong time.”

With that he rose, we shook hands, and he was gone.

# # #

“Okay, Freddie, let’s talk.”

Now comfortably situated in my den, I felt better able to talk with Eaton about how we’ll handle some of the personal challenges ahead.

“It isn’t all good news,” he said. “I’ve taken the liberty of speaking with your solicitor on two fronts this afternoon. You need to know about what has happened.”

I braced myself for bad news, and when Eaton gave it, it came quickly and with the bark off.

“As part of our service to you, we regularly check the internet for postings made in conjunction with either of your names,” he said. “Unfortunately, a search made last week revealed alterations made to some of your wife’s pictures that were placed on a celebrity website.”

I broke into a cold sweat. “Freddie, you don’t mean…”

“I do,” he said. “We didn’t think you’d want to wait. So we contacted your solicitor and they are working on a complaint.”

“I knew it,” I groaned. “I knew this would come back to bite us.”

“Rob, it could have happened anywhere, at any time or place where someone with a half-decent camera got a picture,” he said. “Unfortunately, your new station in life and your wife’s new fame have resulted in a most unpleasant situation.”

“I should say so,” I said. “If her father finds out about this he’s going to skin us both.”

“I don’t know those particulars,” he said. “But I will say he needs to understand that in the tiny minds of some people, that’s part of the cost of living in today’s world.”

“Thank you, Freddie,” I said. “I suppose the only thing we can do in such a circumstance is to make it known that the pictures are fakes in the strongest possible terms.”

“Remember what Tiger Woods did,” he said, and a ray of hope shone in my mind. The world’s top-ranked golfer successfully sued an Irish newspaper for libel after a story was written about his wife.

So it can be done. Proper public relations work could help save a potentially tricky situation.

“That is why you pay me, Rob,” he said. “We will start work immediately.”

# # #

Is life ever peaceful for the Ridgway family?

Brilliant as always 10-3

Might that be a rhetorical question?

Good luck for the West Ham gane abd some extra luck for handling ashton. Are you doing this story game by game or have you done the season?

weeeman, just when Rob thinks he's got life by the tail, it turns around and bites. Ever had a stretch like that? Salkster, the answer to your question is a little bit of both. My season is not over in my current save - I play a few games and write a few games, never getting more than a match or two ahead of where I am in my text so I can accurately gauge Ridgway's feelings at the time I'm writing. Also, in this save the only thing that frightens Dean Ashton is Kryptonite. :)

___

Thursday, November 27

Eaton has done his work, and given me some precious piece of mind while we prepare for Saturday.

He talked with our attorneys and on the very day the whole story hit, we had a response already prepared. Unfortunately, we were forced to confirm Patty’s situation earlier than we would have liked, but in the grander scheme of things, it will hopefully work out for the best.

The statement “condemned” those who “have unscrupulously used the image of Patricia Ridgway to create false and scurrilous character insinuations. We will take every available legal measure open to us to ensure that her good name is not besmirched.”

That did it for me, but I’m looking forward to taking the proverbial pound of flesh out of the cretins who did this to her.

The person who took all the hubbub the best, ironically enough, was Patty herself. That surprised me more than a little bit.

“The pictures aren’t real, and we’ve got lawyers,” she said, as we ate breakfast.

I realized that Eaton’s call of yesterday, and the statement of today, had kicked me right in my ‘second eyebrow’, so to speak. My desire to protect my wife had kicked into overdrive and the result was a highly protective reaction.

“Honey, it’s sweet of you to react like that and I know you want to nail these people to the wall. I do too. It’s just that you aren’t an attorney and we need to let them do their work.”

I thought her mood had taken a 180-degree from the previous few weeks. Obviously, something had happened in London that had completely turned her around, at least from a professional standpoint. So it seemed like a good time to talk about it.

“You know, hon, I think if the roles were reversed here, I’d be a bit more upset,” I said. “I have to be honest about that. I think something in that meeting has changed your mindset a little bit. Would I be right to assume that?”

“Sit down, Rob,” she said, patting the couch next to her. “We need to have a talk.”

# # #

I don’t really remember driving to the ground, but once I got there I was able to put the latest distractions aside and move on to Saturday’s match.

I’m ready to give Bikey his place back, since his application in training has been much better this week. The Hammers will face our best eleven, as we continue to have good luck with injuries and after a bit of an off-match for him against West Brom, Dagoberto seems fully recovered from his dead leg.

Then there is the matter of the rivalry between the clubs. This is as close to a derby as we’ll play in the Premiership this season and the past bad blood between the clubs seems to be just under the surface.

There haven’t been any overt statements by either side – my players know that if anyone provides bulletin-board motivation for an opponent I will take it out of their playing time – and I suppose that calm before the storm is best.

Our mood has been good. Despite that, though, I’m again stressing the need for a strong start on Saturday, especially at home. We need to come out ready to play in front of our own fans and I’m starting to lose patience with the way we’re coming out of the gate in recent matches.

Still, I haven’t gone to the whip in training, so to speak, because the results are still there. I’m keeping my frustration to myself. At least, I think I am.

# # #

Last night’s matches in the Champions League may be a bit revealing in terms of league form.

The big story came from Parkhead, where Celtic was well and truly dominated by Liverpool in the “Battle of Britain” match between the English and Scottish champions. However, Liverpool couldn’t manage a win, drawing 1-1. That may mean their next opponents, Cardiff City, are in big trouble this weekend.

And United finally got untracked in the Champions League, giving Steve Coppell reason to smile. They qualified for the knockout stages – albeit as a second-placed team – by beating Legia Warsaw 3-0 at Old Trafford. So United rolls on.

Tonight, though, another Premiership team didn’t get such good news in the UEFA Cup. Bolton has really been struggling in their group and tonight they drew AZ Alkmaar 0-0 at the Aalkmarderhout. They’re fourth in their group with one match remaining while others in their group have two. Three of five teams in each group progress and Sammy Lee will need a win in his last match to progress.

Not so Spurs, which eased past PAOK 2-0 at White Hart Lane this evening to qualify for the knockout stages with a match to spare. Martin Jol hasn’t had a lot to smile about in recent weeks with his team sliding eight places in the table from the start of the season, but continued European football gives reason for a bit of optimism in their part of North London.

# # #

Friday, November 28

I’m not sure I really care for Patty’s reasoning on our latest controversy, but then, I’m not in charge of her career. After the conversation we had today, I’m quite sure that much is true.

I received papers from our attorneys today on a complaint to be filed against a celebrity website that posted Photoshopped pictures of my wife. She doesn’t like the idea of appearing on the web in such a fashion, but from a mercenary standpoint, it isn’t the worst thing in the world – at least, not to her. Last night we talked it through.

In this respect, I’m sure I agree with my father-in-law, which has to be a first. I don’t like the idea of people taking advantage of her – and our privacy – in such a way. Of course, someone in my position gives up an element of privacy when on the job, but in Patty’s case she wants to be seen as much as possible.

“Not that much exposure!” I exclaimed, as she explained what had happened.

“Look at what celebrities go through,” she said. “If I’m going to make a go of it in this business, I have to be visible. So a little buzz isn’t the worst thing in the world.”

“Where did all this come from?” I asked. “Where’s the shy Patty that I knew in Padua? Do you like what’s happening so much that you’d change your whole career for it?”

“A fair question,” she said. “The short answer is yes. I do like it, a lot. And if IMG comes through with the offer they might, I can forget about the office in Reading and I can do what I want with my career. I thought that would make you happy.”

“In a sense, it does,” I said. “I love you and I want everyone to know that I love you. But this seems like a steep price to pay.”

“When I appeared in the papers, I gave up that privacy and I knew it,” she said. “The stories about the baby and now this idiot on the internet just prove it. I’m in it now, Rob, and if I’m in it, I want to win it. Where have I heard that before?”

“From a familiar source,” I said, hoist on my own petard.

“Lawyers deal with slime like this website all the time,” she said. “The IMG people explained to me that in some cases, any publicity is good publicity.”

“Not true,” I said. “Patently not true.”

“They do know,” she said softly. “And I’m in the business too – I could see what they were trying to tell me. I want you to trust me on this, Rob. I really want to do what they’re suggesting and if it works out, I’m going to be as professionally happy as I’ve ever been in my life.”

I sat back on the couch, helpless to resist her. She had gotten advice the liked – or advice she wanted to hear – and there wasn’t thing one I could do about it. So I bowed to the inevitable.

“Okay, Patty,” I said. “You win. Just please let me know what you’re up to, all right?”

“When it’s agreed, of course,” she said. “And I don’t mean to shut you out – but if it gets signed it’s going to mean some travel and I don’t want to give you travel news if I’m not absolutely sure it’s true.”

“Suppose you do that anyway,” I said, my hackles starting to rise. “I’m big enough to take it. I’m also your husband, and you’re carrying our baby.” I was starting to think I wanted ten minutes in a steel cage with Patty’s friends at IMG. But they’d have to get in line. There are others I'd like to reach out and touch first.

“That’s fair,” she said. “Rob, there may be travel to Los Angeles in involved as well as Paris and London. Nothing’s been agreed to yet but it’s possible.”

I took a deep breath. “I’ve always said I wouldn’t stand in the way,” I said. “At least I know.”

“I want the travel to be as short as possible,” she explained. “I owe you that, I owe the baby that, and I owe myself that. I’ve waited too long for a happy family life to simply travel it all away.”

“I will hold you to that,” I said. “Believe me, I will hold you to that.”

# # #

West Ham arrived today for a session on our pitch. While their players were on the field, I sat for a television interview and another interview for the club website.

I’ve got nothing against Alan Curbishley, who did an outstanding job for a long time at Charlton with limited funds. I’d hope that he’s got nothing against me. Yet the whole Pardew situation created bad blood that has yet to settle down.

The match broadcasters this week are Sky Sports so that meant a one-on-one interview with Bobby Hopkins, who has treated me fairly well to this point. This time, though, his questioning revolved around nationality, in a slightly different way.

“Rob, you’ve been around the Premiership now for several months but you’ve never managed in a rivalry here,” he said. “Tell me your thoughts about this match from the point of view of the relations between the clubs.”

“I can’t speak to the relations between the clubs,” I said. “I also have no desire to create tensions by trying. I know there were issues in the past but those really aren’t for me to discuss because I didn’t have anything to do with them. I do know that we are playing them tomorrow and I know we both need points. They are just off the European places and we’re chasing Arsenal and Chelsea. That’s what matters to me.”

“But can you compare the emotions in a derby match to some of the rivalries you see in American sports?”

“That I can do,” I smiled. “There are people over here who think the world comes to an end when the Giants play the Jets. They’ve probably never seen the Old Firm and if they did, I’m sure they’d at least re-consider their opinion. I plan to travel on Sunday to see the North London derby at the Emirates, and I’ll see more passion there as well.”

“Point being, there are things American sports do better than any nation in the world,” I added. “Surely as a single-day spectacle, nothing matches the Super Bowl. But for regular, ongoing theater and passion there is nothing better than football, and I mean the kind played with the feet. It’s the main reason I got into the game and the main reason I’m driven to stay in it. There’s just nothing better. Anywhere.”

# # #

SCIAG, that's my hope! And Harlow, welcome to the Rat Pack! As a regular reader of F365 myself, being included in that list of regular reading is high praise! :)

___

Saturday, November 29

Reading (8-7-0, 3rd place) v West Ham (8-0-6, 8th place) – EPL Match Day #16

I can tell that Waters thinks more of the rivalry between the Reading and West Ham than I do.

As we headed onto the pitch for the start of this afternoon’s match, his choice of music told me all I needed to know.

Elvis Presley and Junkie XL greeted us with the hopped-up version of The King’s hit “A Little Less Conversation”:

“A little less conversation, a little more action, please

All this aggravation ain't satisfactioning me

A little more bite and a little less bark

A little less fight and a little more spark…”

Generally speaking, I’m all for that. I hate aggravation. And in certain areas of my life, I wouldn’t mind a little action on the part of our representatives to take away some worries I’ve got.

But as we took the pitch, everything seemed comfortable. The starting eleven are really settling into a nice groove for me. Match day is turning into a smooth, balanced routine. So that isn’t one of the worries.

I was also glad we were at home for the first match after the media speculation about Patty. I’m not sure I would have enjoyed hearing some of the pithier comments I might have received from the stands without Eaton’s statement of earlier this week.

But then, she seems to have a thicker skin than I do when it comes to such things, so I could be dead wrong about the reaction I’d get. From her husband’s point of view, though, I’d still prefer things to go as smoothly as possible.

I didn’t have much work to do in the pre-match team talk. We were focused, and the players who have been here awhile didn’t need any prompting to get ready for West Ham’s challenge.

For the hundredth time, I admonished the defenders and Pazienza to watch for Ashton. And some people think redundancy is a bad thing. Sonko and Bikey were part of a zonal marking scheme in our standard tactic, but they were well briefed before ever setting foot on the pitch today.

Dillon spoke his piece about tactical considerations and I had the last word.

“Fellows, I need a better start from you,” I said. “You guys are terrific at retrieving a bad situation and we all know that, but let’s get out there today and show we can play a solid 90-minute match. I can’t think of a better opponent to show, and I think you might agree with that. Get it done today.”

With that, we headed out to play, with Elvis ringing in our ears.

# # #

There were a couple of important zeroes in play at the stadium today, and no, one of them was not the home manager.

Our unbeaten string was of course on the line – Reading and Chelsea were the last two unbeaten teams in England’s top five divisions entering play – and West Ham entered play as the only team in the Premiership without a draw.

Due to Ashton’s explosiveness, his ability to turn a game by himself has resulted in several victories for his club. But when he hasn’t scored, West Ham has been exposed and defeated.

Naturally, they started better than we did, while we tried to keep the league’s top scorer under control. Defensively, we were decent at the start, but offensively we were AWOL.

West Ham may have the league’s top scorer, but we have the top scoring team in the Premiership because we spread the ball and create opportunities through a flexible and creative midfield. However, today we didn’t seem especially creative in our approach and even though the match was between ostensible rivals, it was quite a turgid start to the match.

We generated no good chances in the first half hour. Nada, as in zip. In that respect we resembled the side that had started so poorly at West Brom. This annoyed me, but the events of the half hour were even worse.

It started on the right side of midfield, where Julien Faubert brought the ball into our defensive third and drove hard to the byline to cross for you-know-who. Faubert got past Pogatetz at left back and his cross arrowed straight for Ashton.

Sonko, though, had a height advantage on the striker and cleared the cross with his head. Unfortunately, he cleared it straight back to Faubert, and he re-crossed the ball before Pogatetz could react. This time, the ball found Ashton’s forehead.

The striker nodded the ball toward the goal and Lobont sprung into action, diving to his left to parry the ball. Unfortuantely, he pushed it right back to Ashton, who drilled the ball home on 28 minutes on the second bite of the cherry.

The Hammers on the pitch celebrated Ashton’s 19th goal of what is already a remarkable season, and his 16th goal in the Premiership. They led 1-0, a momentary defensive lapse had put the ball into our net, and we had exactly zero offense to show for the work we had done. So in all, the first half hour could reasonably be classified as a total loss.

# # #

The home crowd was starting to show its dismay over our performance. Ashton’s goal was greeted with howls of disappointment from our faithful even as the Hammers’ away support looked like it happened every day. Judging by Ashton’s strike statistics, they wouldn’t have been far wrong to think it.

Then our visitors showed a defensive resiliency that I could only admire. The natural desire of a team to strike back after it has conceded certainly applied to us, but they wouldn’t let us near decent positions around Robert Green’s goal. We looked absolutely impotent and this season, that has been a rare thing indeed for my team.

Referee Peter Walton sounded the halftime whistle and I retreated to the rooms with my players to give them some badly needed tactical bodywork.

Once everyone was present, I took a dry erase marker and walked to the big wipeboard at the front of the room. I wrote one word: zero.

“Okay, fellows, let me have your attention,” I said, and they looked at me quizzically. I pointed to the board.

“That’s what we did in the first half,” I said. “Now, for a moment, feel free to suggest synonyms.”

They looked at me like I was nuts, but then suggestions started to flow.

“Bollocks.”

“F**kall.”

“Nil.”

“Nowt.”

I nodded. “All right, that’s enough,” I said. “Am I making my point here? We talked about a fast start and we’ve talked about a fast start for weeks now. Well, we didn’t get one again, and now we have to worry about a fightback on our own ground that shouldn’t have had to happen.”

“Ashton scored a good goal and we had him defended twice before he got it. I can’t fault you for that,” I said. “But we have got to start putting the ball into positions where we know we can do something with it! You’ve scored thirty goals in this league already because you know how to work the offensive end of this tactic. Where’s the application, fellows? You torched United and Arsenal for seven goals between them – what’s different today?”

I nodded to Dillon as silence reigned in the room. “Kevin will go over the tactics, but I want you to know that I think you can do it. Application is the key.”

# # #

Dillon was positive and upbeat. I had every confidence that our base formation could generate chances with a little more attention paid to the attack, so that was how we set out the stall for the second half. We were looking to force the action.

Only it didn’t work. West Ham sat back in a solid, defensive 4-4-2 and proceeded to generate counterattack chances gainst us that kept Lobont busy for the first twenty minutes of the second half.

Then we finally got into gear. Dagoberto, who had been invisible for most of the match, now shook loose and latched onto a clever little ball from Kalou, zooming onto Green from about thirty yards out.

Lucas Neill raced over to cut down the angle for the shooter and just as they reached the top of the penalty area, Neill made his challenge. He caught the ball but took Dagoberto’s legs at the same time, the striker tumbling heavily into the penalty area while the ball spun to Green. Dagoberto stayed down, which was a very bad sign for us.

Green cleared the ball upfield, drawing whistles from our fans, and then we finally put the ball into touch so Dagoberto could receive treatment.

I turned to Dillon. “We’ve played 67 minutes without a single shot on target,” I said. “Time to change. Three up front.”

One of the three wasn’t going to be Dagoberto, unfortunately. He hobbled off the pitch with a cut to his leg from one of Neill’s studs, so I made a bit of an unorthodox change. While he was receiving treatment on the pitch, I signaled for Kalou.

“Up front,” I yelled. “Get to the right, play off Kitson.” I motioned for Hunt, who has been exiled to the bench for several weeks now, and the Irishman sprang to his feet ready to make an impact.

Having to play with ten for a few minutes while Hunt finished his warmup wasn’t optimal either, but he finally came on and our dearth of scoring opportunities continued. Finally, 71 minutes into the match, we managed a shot on target as Kitson’s weak header was collected with some ease by Green.

Finally, I adjusted our 4-3-3 tactic to get the central midfielders forward as well. With Faé mailing in a performance on the right side of midfield, I pulled him in favor of Harper on 77 minutes and moved Maloney forward as well.

Harper and Pazienza were the main men in midfield, but I wanted Harper to cheat forward as well to give us five in the box. Harper made an impact almost as soon as he came on.

Our pressure was at least getting us possession in the offensive third, with the Hammers content to clear their lines while we flailed away at their back four. Anton Ferdinand hoofed a high ball just beyond the center circle that Bikey trapped to the ground and started forward, finding Harper forty yards from goal.

Harper flicked on, to the front of the penalty area where Kitson was battling Ferdinand. Harper timed Kitson’s run beautifully and the red-haired targetman took the ball with his back to Ferdinand just inside the area. Cleared to shoot, he did – and he beat Green low to the keeper’s left.

It had come like a thunderbolt. No meaningful offense for 81 minutes had suddenly given way to an equalizer. Kitson showed his joy at netting for the fifth time this season and I sheepishly turned to Dillon in the dugout.

“Strange game, football,” I smiled, and my deputy could only agree.

With the score now level I pulled back just a bit, into an aggressive 4-4-2. As soon as that happened, Kalou went down under a crunching tackle from George McCartney that had my wing wizard limping as soon as he got up.

Angry, but not at Kalou, I waved Lita into the match, wondering if his instant-impact streak would continue. He now partnered Kitson in the attack with Hunt on the left and Maloney on the right of a four-man midfield.

Both teams seemed satisfied with a draw, with three minutes of added time producing nothing. With seconds to play, we moved the ball forward and Maloney latched onto it, lofting a harmless little cross for Kitson at the top of West Ham’s penalty area.

Only he never got there. Scott Parker cut off Kitson’s path and barged him to the deck with a shoulder that was as clear a case of obstruction as I’ve ever seen. Immediately, the crowd roared to life and all eyes fixed on referee Peter Walton. I wasn’t optimistic – he hadn’t awarded a single penalty in 24 matches this season so I knew before the match started we might be able to be a little more physical in defense.

It seemed like the whole world had slowed to a crawl while we waited for the official. He pointed to the spot and the Madejski Stadium was up for grabs.

“Well, I’ll be a son of a gun,” I smiled, as Maloney grabbed the ball. The Hammers players all went after Walton and their bench went wild with recrimination and remonstration. None of it mattered to me. Maybe the penalties are starting to even themselves out.

Curbishley, who had made no substitutions to that point in the match, now made two of them in an effort to ice Maloney before the spot kick. Veteran Freddie Ljungberg was one of them, on for Mota, and John Pantsil was the other, on for Julien Faubert.

Maloney didn’t care. He drilled the penalty with the last kick of the match and we celebrated a wild and most improbable win.

Curbishley shook my hand, but didn’t want to look at me. I understood.

Reading 2 (Kitson 5th, 81; Maloney 6th, pen 90+4)

West Ham 1 (Ashton 19th, 28)

A – 24,126, Madejski Stadium, Reading

Man of the Match – Dave Kitson, Reading (2)

# # #

“I thought the referee let us play,” I said simply. “He didn’t give a card in the whole match, did he? I did think it was a penalty but there’s no doubt we got a very big decision at the key moment in the match. We have had some penalties go against us recently so I was happy to see us get a big call. I won’t deny that.”

“Yet you were within a few minutes of losing.”

“Let’s not sugarcoat that,” I said. “We started slowly again, we didn’t keep Ashton marked on their goal and I was starting to wonder if we’d make the breakthrough when Kitson made a very nice play. I can’t think of a more exciting way to end the match, but the way we played until Kitson’s goal made an exciting finish necessary if we were going to get the points.”

“Are you in the title race for real?”

“We’re there now, so we’re in it regardless,” I said. “We aren’t quite at the halfway point yet and there’s a lot to be done before May arrives but I can’t be anything but pleased with the start we’ve had. I’m optimistic for the second half of the season.”

BBC reporter Ben Crossley then raised his hand. “Rob, we hear you’re having trouble with your board,” he said. “We’re hearing about infighting regarding players. Can you comment?”

“No,” I said. “I have no comment.”

# # #

After the interview, I saw a number of my players crowded around Sky Sports News looking for information on Chelsea’s match. I shooed them to their post-match routines after it was reported that the Blues still lead us on goal difference.

Today at Villa Park, Curtis Davies’ own goal and a strike by Frank Lampard were enough to overcome Villa by a 2-1 score. Scott Brown’s injury-time strike wasn’t enough to save his club from defeat.

We stayed third in the table due to today’s win, but Chelsea’s goal difference puts them top over Arsenal. The Gunners will play their match in hand tomorrow at home to Spurs, in a match I’ll attend.

Liverpool and United kept up the pressure today as well. Ryan Babel, Peter Crouch and Xabi Alonso all scored in the last fifteen minutes to sink stubborn Cardiff 3-0 at Ninian Park. Liverpool are now up to fifth, despite losing Dirk Kuyt to a broken arm that will keep him out through Christmas.

United didn’t play particularly well today, but Louis Saha’s 54th minute goal gave them a 1-0 win at home to Charlton, putting them into fourth place, breathing down our necks. City also defeated Boro 1-0 this afternoon at the Riverside with Rolando Bianchi’s goal in first-half added time the difference.

And Raúl turned back the clock with a vintage performance for Everton against Newcastle. Each time the Magpies would score, Raúl would answer.

Vagner Love opened the scoring for Newcastle five minutes into the match at Goodison this afternoon. Raúl replied sixteen minutes later. The ever-popular Joey Barton scored his first goal of the season on 24 minutes. Raúl struck back ten minutes afterward.

Christopher Samba made it 3-2 for Newcastle just before half. Just to keep things interesting, Raúl waited until five minutes from time to complete his hat trick and give Everton a 3-3 draw.

Tomorrow, though, I head to London to watch the derby. Hopefully, I won’t run into any reporters there.

# # #

norteño, thank you so much for your kind words and for giving your first post to the thread. Welcome to the Rat Pack! Kewell, it's true ... third isn't good enough so we'll see how Rob reacts!

___

Sunday, November 30

Chelsea’s stay atop the table lasted less than 24 hours.

Joining a huge crowd at the Emirates this afternoon, I watched Arsenal put on a clinic in dismissing Spurs 3-0. They are every bit as good as anyone we’ve seen and the fact that we caught lightning in a bottle against them doesn’t change that.

They have twelve victories now, three more than anyone else in the league, and they showed they can play in conditions as well. It was a cold, windswept day with the temperature hovering at zero centigrade at kickoff.

That just meant the Gunners needed a few extra moments to stretch their legs. Eduardo then made sure Spurs’ net was equally stretched with a brace of well-taken chances on either side of the interval.

Aliaksandr Hleb finished things off with a thundering shot in second half added time, but the goal was hardly necessary. Wenger’s men were … well, they were in mid-season form throughout the match.

I could only admire them. Next time we play them is at home, of course, but the challenge will be immense.

Meanwhile, Spurs are in free fall. After winning four on the spin to start their season, they’ve lost seven and drawn three of their following twelve, taking only nine of 32 points on offer. Today’s loss dropped them to twelfth in the table, trailing Portsmouth and Everton on goal difference. The only bright spot for Martin Jol has been Europe, where Spurs have bossed their UEFA Cup qualifying group from the beginning, but domestic results will soon become a priority for him unless something changes. Daniel Levy probably doesn’t like being below mid-table and I don’t blame him.

There were other games today as well. “The girl with the curl”, otherwise known as Blackburn, was very, very good today as they thumped Birmingham 4-0. Roque Santa Cruz and Javier Pinola set the table for Matt Derbyshire’s brace in the last ten minutes. Portsmouth got goals from Dave Nugent and Jermain Defoe to offset Scott Sinclair’s opener for Bolton.

And two managers who have had run-ins with officials met each other today. Omar Bravo of West Brom scored twice for Tony Mowbray’s team while Rob Earnshaw and Kenny Miller scored for Billy Davies’ Derby. This time, the last-minute penalty went Derby’s way and Jaime Lozano won it for County in the waning seconds.

To say Mowbray was apoplectic would be kind. Referee Steve Tanner’s ears are probably still burning, and I’m sure the FA will burn a hole of corresponding size in Mowbray’s wallet this coming week.

# # #

Today, though, I didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to the other matches once I got back from London. I sequestered myself in my den coming up with a list of talking points for tomorrow’s board meeting.

I have no reason to believe Richmond will do anything but try to play power politics. I’m going to be as ready as I can be. I don’t want a Director of Football here and it’s comforting to know that Madejski doesn’t either, but I still want to present the best possible arguments I can so the issue is dead and buried after tomorrow.

Key to that argument is the performance of the players I’ve brought in. Gaspari and Cathcart are for the future and everyone knows that. Kalou has scored four goals and given us a huge presence on the wing. Maloney has scored six goals and laid on five more so far, and the fans love him. Pogatetz has overcome his early blip in form to be a regular contributor, and Ferreira continues to play well.

Yet Gúti rubbed Richmond’s nose in it when he wouldn’t come here. That sort of thing happens in football yet one thing I’ve learned over many years in the game is that the more money you have, the more likely you are to take things like that personally. Sometimes players just don’t want to move and that’s the end of it.

That’s football, as they say. We’ll see if I wind up paying for it.

# # #

[left][font=Courier New]| Pos   | Team          | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   | Arsenal       | 16    | 12    | 1     | 3     | 30    | 12    | +18   | 37    | 
| 2nd   | Chelsea       | 16    | 9     | 7     | 0     | 27    | 7     | +20   | 34    | 
| [b]3rd   | Reading       | 16    | 9     | 7     | 0     | 34    | 21    | +13   | 34  [/b]  | 
| 4th   | Man Utd       | 16    | 9     | 4     | 3     | 26    | 15    | +11   | 31    | 
| 5th   | Liverpool     | 16    | 8     | 5     | 3     | 27    | 14    | +13   | 29    | 
| 6th   | West Ham      | 16    | 9     | 0     | 7     | 27    | 27    | 0     | 27    | 
| 7th   | Aston Villa   | 16    | 6     | 6     | 4     | 24    | 19    | +5    | 24    | 
| 8th   | Bolton        | 16    | 7     | 3     | 6     | 22    | 20    | +2    | 24    | 
| 9th   | Man City      | 16    | 6     | 5     | 5     | 16    | 16    | 0     | 23    | 
| 10th  | Portsmouth    | 16    | 5     | 6     | 5     | 28    | 25    | +3    | 21    | 
| 11th  | Everton       | 16    | 4     | 9     | 3     | 17    | 14    | +3    | 21    | 
| 12th  | Tottenham     | 16    | 6     | 3     | 7     | 24    | 25    | -1    | 21    | 
| 13th  | Middlesbrough | 16    | 6     | 1     | 9     | 23    | 26    | -3    | 19    | 
| 14th  | Blackburn     | 16    | 6     | 1     | 9     | 20    | 26    | -6    | 19    | 
| 15th  | Charlton      | 16    | 4     | 7     | 5     | 21    | 29    | -8    | 19    | 
| 16th  | Newcastle     | 16    | 3     | 5     | 8     | 19    | 26    | -7    | 14    | 
| 17th  | West Brom     | 16    | 3     | 4     | 9     | 22    | 32    | -10   | 13    | 
| 18th  | Derby         | 16    | 3     | 4     | 9     | 20    | 30    | -10   | 13    | 
| 19th  | Birmingham    | 16    | 3     | 2     | 11    | 12    | 28    | -16   | 11    | 
| 20th  | Cardiff       | 16    | 1     | 2     | 13    | 6     | 33    | -27   | 5     | 
[/font][/left]

World update

Championship (promotion and playoff places only) – Wigan 37, Sunderland 36, Fulham 36, Wolves 34, Southend 34, Ipswich 33

League One (promotion and playoff places only)– Leeds 40, Stoke 38, Walsall 35, Bristol City 35, Carlisle 34, Bournemouth 33

League Two (promotion and playoff places only)– Brentford 40, Rotherham 39, Leyton Orient 39, Swindon 36, Cheltenham 35, Lincoln 35, Stevenage 35

Conference National (promotion and playoff places only)– Rushden 44, Aldershot 42, Halifax 40, Kiddermister 39, York 39

Ligue One – Lyon 46, PSG 35, St. Etienne 33

Bundesliga – HSV 38, Bayern Munich 31, Mainz 29, Werder Bremen 29

Eredivisie – Feyenoord 34, Roda JC 29, PSV 25

Serie A – Atalanta 35, Lazio 27, Roma 26

SPL – Celtic 39, Rangers 35, Hibs 26

La Liga – Espanyol 32, Real Madrid 32, Valencia 27

# # #

This is brilliant stuff TTL - not only has it boosted my enthusiasm for getting into FM09 it's also made what would otherwise have been a very slow week at work go by in a flash! I've read calcio and now the rat pack over the last few days and to say I'm engrossed would be an understatment. Keep it up!

azazel, thank you for giving your first post to this thread ... and welcome to the Rat Pack! There's room for everyone! I'm glad you enjoy my work - it's always fun to know that my writing is well received! I hope you enjoy the rest of the story!

___

Absolutely unbelievable.

Absolutely and completely unbelievable.

I did well at the board meeting this morning only to be shot down in flames this afternoon in a sneak attack by one of my best players. I am now managing a crisis situation at what I certainly hope does not become a crisis club.

First things first. The board meeting went well, at least from my point of view. I gave my assessment of the month just past, expressing some disappointment at individual moments that occurred during the month. However, it can’t be denied – we haven’t lost yet in the league and that will lead to a relatively happy ship.

Madejski then spoke regarding the FA Cup. “We’re off to a brilliant start in the league and that has been well documented,” he said. “This week the draw for our entry into the FA Cup will be held and we remind you of our goals for that competition. We are hoping for the Fifth Round from this squad and given our league position at present we hope that is a goal you share.”

“Naturally,” I answered. “I know this club has never won the competition and I can’t promise that, but I have high hopes for this year’s event as well.”

As expected, Richmond’s item was next on the agenda and I was asked to stay. He outlined his case against my player procurement policy and at the end, proposed hiring a Director of Football.

Madejski, as chairman and owner, thanked Richmond for his idea. “I’d like to let Rob respond to this,” he said, nodding to me. Well prepared, I nodded back.

“With the chair’s permission, I’ll proceed,” I said. I pulled a thick packet out of my briefcase and passed its contents around the room.

Each member received a packet of information, containing media excerpts and clippings from fanzines including one written by Mohammed Farrington, our supporters’ representative.

“This is a sampling of opinion on our signings since I took over,” I said. “You’ll notice that I didn’t cherry-pick these – they aren’t all positive. But the vast majority of them are. Pogatetz’s form, for example, was suspect for awhile but he’s come back nicely and is an important member of our team. The squad has been strengthened in places I felt it needed to be strengthened and the new signings such as Kalou and Maloney have done especially well. We’ve got ten goals from them already and I can’t really see where either of them have failed.”

Richmond now spoke. “Did you use club time to do this?” he asked. “Covering yourself?”

“No,” I answered, insulted by the question. “Though our media department tracks the club’s press, I keep a file on my own as well. I do like to know what people are saying even if I don’t always agree with the contents.”

“Worried about ‘personal press’?” he asked.

I frowned. “Mr. Richmond, I don’t care for the inference, and I’ll be blunt about that,” I said. “Our recent conversation on this issue didn’t indicate that you had a personal difficulty with me so I’ll thank you to avoid crossing that boundary if you please.”

He gave me a look of surprise, but now Madejski broke in. “Sidney, I’ll thank you as well,” he said, and the director sat back in his seat.

“We have done well with player procurement in my opinion,” I said. “We haven’t been perfect but then few teams are. The appointment of a Director of Football might well mean more players in, but whether they would be the right ones are anyone’s guess. I do know my system, I do know what types of players fit into that system, and I think that’s been proven by our new arrivals.”

I looked at Madejski and nodded, ending my part of the conversation.

“Thank you, Rob,” he said. “We’ll deliberate this, while you resume your duties. Thank you for your time.”

With that, I left and Madejski began the deliberation.

“We’re not going to do this,” he said, closing his folder containing Richmond’s proposal. “And that ends the deliberation.”

# # #

I then headed to the training facility, where Paula Ryan had a visitor waiting for me. This was where the day went south, in a big hurry.

“Rob, this gentleman would like a word with you,” she said, stopping me on my way to my office.

“Excuse me, I didn’t catch your name,” I said.

“My name is Phillippe Dumont. I am Ibrahima Sonko’s agent. We have not met before since my client is under a long-term contract to your club, signed before your arrival.”

“Rob Ridgway,” I offered, extending my hand. “But now isn’t a good time. I’m due on the training pitch and the players are waiting to begin their work. Sonko included.”

“I’m afraid that is not the case,” he said, making a pointed statement by not shaking my offered hand. “My client will not train today.”

I frowned, angry now on more than one front. “He doesn’t have permission from me to miss training,” I said. “He needs permission from me to miss training.”

“You will want to delay your arrival on the training pitch,” Dumont said. “Please, give me a moment and you can return to your duties.” Paula looked up in shock, as we were having this conversation at her desk.

“Mr. Dumont, it may have escaped your attention so I want to get something straight with you,” I said. “In this office, the boss isn’t you. It’s me. I take training when I take training and not when an agent gives me permission. Now, I am going to run my training session, you’re not going to say anything more about it, and if you would like to talk with me without my central defender on the training pitch my chairman will also be present. Do we understand each other?”

“We do,” he said.

“Good,” I said, turning to leave. “Make a time with Miss Ryan, after 1:00 p.m. Paula, please call the chairman’s office and see if he or senior staff is available to attend. The meeting can be held in the board room for his convenience.”

Dumont started to object again, but I held up my hand.

“And Mr. Dumont,” I finished, “at Reading Football Club, the boss in overall charge isn’t me. It’s John Madejski, and he wouldn’t react well to this meeting being held outside his presence. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll expect my entire team in training in fifteen minutes. If your client knows what’s good for him, he’ll be there too.”

# # #

I stormed off to training, knowing full well the conversation would be about one of two things; either Sonko wanted a new contract or he wanted to leave. Neither conversation would be palatable but one would surely be a lot better than the other.

Madejski called while I was changing clothes to lead training. “What do you think it is?” he asked.

“No idea,” I answered. “But I think probably a contract issue. He’s been ever-present for me and he’s played very well. He’s an important part of the side and he knows it. The agent may be making a power play.”

“That won’t sit well with me, I promise you,” he said. “Sonko has got a contract and I expect him to honor it.”

“Well, then it should be easy for management to present a united front,” I said. “I’ll ask my PA to get a time that will work for you.”

I then headed out onto the training pitch and was immediately accosted by Emerse Faé and, surprisingly, Shaun Maloney.

“What is going on with Sonko?” Faé asked. “Why are you doing this to him?”

“Wait, wait,” I said, trying to avoid a scene while the other players were preparing to stretch. “What are you talking about?”

“He wants to leave,” Maloney said. “Says we aren’t going to win any trophies and he wants to go. What have you told him? Why are you doing this to us?”

“Slow down,” I said. “His agent came to see me this morning and that was the first I’ve heard of it.”

“Well, it’s all over the squad,” Maloney added. “I don’t know how you could have missed it.”

I frowned, getting angrier by the moment. “Frankly, I don’t either,” I said. “Now go stretch with the squad while I get to the bottom of this.”

# # #

Rob does have a bit of a problem, yes ...

___

I had the senior squad circle around me after the stretching exercise was done and I vented a bit.

“I want to talk about someone who isn’t here,” I said, noting that Sonko had not made an appearance. “I am told that one of you wants to leave the club. I am also told that this is common knowledge in the squad.”

With that, every one of my first-team assistants, and about a third of my first-team players, showed their shock. I depend on the coaches and the captain for certain news from the players and I hadn’t gotten it from any of them.

“I’ll make this easy on everyone,” I said. “I have told you from the beginning that my door is open. It seems that people aren’t taking advantage of that open door, so I will now come to you. Is there anyone else in this group who doesn’t want to be here?”

I was taking an enormous chance. I was taking a blind read of my squad’s morale and if more than one hand went up, I knew full well that I could lose the squad right there on the practice pitch.

No one raised their hand – not Faé, not Maloney, not anyone. Not even John Halls, who had gone to media a fortnight ago, moved a muscle.

“All right, then,” I said. “We have work to do. Graeme Murty and Kevin Dillon, I want to see you on the touchline before you start your work. The rest of you, report to your coaches and let’s get going. We have Manchester City ahead and we have work to do.”

I then took the captain and my deputy off to the touchline and read both of them the riot act.

“I am absolutely furious that an agent can come into my office and tell me that Sonko isn’t bothering to train today, and I’m even angrier that an agent can claim that his knowledge of the squad that I see every day is better than my own,” I said. “This, gentlemen, will never happen again. I accept my share of responsibility for this, but we all have to do a better job of communicating. Do I make myself clear?”

I got two red-faced nods in response.

“Good,” I said. “Now let’s get to work.”

# # #

The training session was subdued but completely professional. Given the look of anger on the gaffer’s face during the session, anyone who messed up might have carried home an appendage in a basket.

As a result, our focus for City is as good as I have any reasonable right to expect. My anger at the events of the morning was not directed at those players who were at training, and as the session progressed I made sure each one of them knew it.

Man-management is an art form, of course. I’m angry, and it suits me that the squad knows I’m angry when my basic expectations aren’t met. But that said, there comes a time when you have to heal, or in words once spoken about the personal tactics of baseball manager Frank Robinson, “step on their shoes without messing up their shine”.

Here’s the very worst of it: I just had Sonko start tutoring Craig Cathcart last week. The prize young defender paired with the tenacious, commanding central defender, who now wants to leave because he doesn’t believe in the club’s program. I’m so angry I could spit nails.

The thing of it was – Sonko never said a word to me. If he has some sort of deep-seated grievance against me, he didn’t say anything when I asked him to tutor the best defending prospect this club has ever had on its books. He didn’t say anything after any of our matches, none of which have resulted in a loss when he has been on the pitch.

I resolved, as I ran training, to wait for the meeting and see if any of this could be true. My head started to ache at the same time.

# # #

The board room contained three people: myself, Madejski and Dumont.

The latter two knew each other. The chairman had personally negotiated Sonko’s last contract, and judging by the expressions I saw between the men, there was a grudging respect showing through a mutual dislike.

“Mr. Dumont, suppose you tell me what is going on,” I said. “I’m hearing things from my players and I would like to hear them from you.”

“I suppose they are correct,” he said. “My client would like to leave Reading.”

“May I ask why?” Madesjki asked. “He is in the middle of a long-term contract that pays him quite well.”

“It is fashionable to say, as you Americans, do, that it is ‘all about the money’,” Dumont said, making a bad impression with me. “For my client, it is not that. It is about trophies and about winning things. He does not think this club is in a position to win and he would like to play at a club that is more ambitious.”

I looked at Madejski and he nodded. “Mr. Dumont, have you looked at the Premiership table recently?” I asked, trying to hold my temper.

“I have,” he said. “But it is halfway through the season and there has not been the squad strengthening that we need to see to ensure a title challenge.”

We both shot daggers at him. “To this point,” he said, making a hasty addendum.

“Mr. Dumont, we have spent £15 million on new players at this club since July,” Madejski said. “We have spent more than Manchester United. We have spent more than Liverpool. We have spent more than Arsenal. We have not spent more than Chelsea, but then no one has. For a club of our size, we have made significant moves in the transfer market to strengthen the squad. The notion that this club lacks ambition is a notion I flatly reject.” He then nodded back to me.

“We would like Ibrahima here to help us challenge for the trophies he wants to win,” I said. “He’s under contract to us through the end of next season, as all our key players are contracted to us for at least that length of time.”

“I see,” Dumont answered. He pulled out a mobile phone and made a quick call, speaking in French. I’m sure he knew I didn’t speak the language.

Moments later there was a knock at the door. Sonko entered.

“Ibrahima, nice to see you,” I said. It was the first time I had seen him all day.

Without a word, he extended his hand, containing a letter. His agent then got up and they both left the room.

Naturally, it was a letter requesting a transfer, with an addendum saying that he had already gone to the press.

# # #

Gentlemen, thanks for the great comments -- lots of interesting opinions. Influential players are upset, the player is unhappy and there's trouble everywhere ...

___

Madejski and I looked at the letter and then got up to leave. As we did, we ran into Sidney Richmond heading the other way. He also had a copy of the letter.

“Still don’t think we need a Director of Football, John?” he asked.

I left for the media center while Madejski headed in the opposite direction to the club offices.

I locked eyes with Richmond as he passed. “Mind yourself, Mr. Ridgway,” he said quietly.

# # #

The media gathering outside my office was quite large. Sonko had made news and his agent had made sure all the right people knew about it.

Naturally, one of the people in the front row was Emiliani, flanked by Weatherby on one side, Hopkins on the other, and God only knew who else in the first three rows.

“Have you lost control of the squad?” Weatherby asked. “We hear there was trouble at training today.”

“I had a talk with the players at training this morning after news reached me of Ibrahima Sonko’s request to leave the club,” I said. “I asked the players at that time if any of them wanted to join him. There were no takers. This is the third-placed club in the Premiership, it is currently occupying a Champions League place, and I rejected the notion that this club lacks ambition to stay there.”

“We were told today that you knew nothing about the request of the player to leave before it happened.”

“No comment. That is an internal club matter and I won’t comment on that.”

“Then why are you commenting on the transfer request?”

“Because the player made it an external club matter,” I snapped.

Now Emiliani opened his mouth. “This Premiership management business, more difficult than you thought, Rob?”

“I harbor no illusions about how difficult this job is,” I said. “I daresay it’s more difficult than yours.”

“Will Sonko be sold?” Weatherby asked.

“I won’t have a player who doesn’t want to play here and doesn’t want to wear these colors,” I said. “End of story.”

“But he can’t move until January,” Hopkins said, stating the obvious. “What will you do with him?”

“I can tell you this, he’s not seeing the field on Saturday,” I said. “The adverse effect of today’s meeting and his announcement makes his position untenable as far as I am concerned. If he wants to leave here, opposing managers are going to need to watch reserve matches to see how he’s playing.”

# # #

So, as I drove home, my mind racing, I thought back on an awful day.

Richmond’s proposal may very well be in play if he goes to the right media. My top central defender and his agent Pearl Harbored me in front of the media. It was Monday. And when I got home, my e-mail buzzed with the FA Cup Third Round draw.

Home to Arsenal.

I switched on the television, where Sky Sports was just talking about the events of the day in Berkshire. They showed video of Sonko, and the presenter made a remark that was the coup de grace.

“Number five,” the commentator said, referring to Sonko. “Rob Ridgway’s old number.”

# # #

Rob Ridgway's Reading shirt

Front

http://s460.photobucket.com/albums/qq324/tenthreeleader/FM%20screenies/?action=view&current=IMG00186.jpg

Back

http://s460.photobucket.com/albums/qq324/tenthreeleader/FM%20screenies/?action=view&current=IMG00187.jpg

Kewell, Rob's Reading shirt has one of two origins:

1) My purchase from the Reading megastore (accurate)

2) The club's presentation to the manager upon taking over (the official party line!)

gaz_man, thank you for your comments ... it's always nice to know the Rat Pack is growing and holding readers!

salkster, the worm may be about to turn!

____

Tuesday, December 2

I hardly slept last night, as you might imagine. Patty was very patient with me, but when she started to feel poorly this morning as well, we became birds of a feather.

“Today can’t be any worse, right?” she said, weaving off to the kitchen as the sun rose. She wasn’t going there to make food – she was instead going to see if she could keep down a glass of water.

My own troubles paled by comparison.

The Post didn’t have a whole lot of time to discuss the Sonko situation in its evening edition yesterday, but their online edition sure did today. The Hob Nobbers were out in force as well – some supporting the club and saying Sonko should be held to his contract, while others took the attitude that if he didn’t want to stay he could take a long walk off a short pier. One of them named Brighton Pier, as an example. I thought that was a bit much.

He’s been a good servant to the club. Yet the thought that an agent would have such intimate knowledge of the mental state of my players told me something that didn’t occur to me until I sat bolt upright in bed this morning.

If Dumont knew how my players were feeling, either he or Sonko had talked to them. Behind my back. Now here was something to talk about today.

# # #

This morning’s media gaggle was waiting outside the club offices while I headed into my office to pick up the morning’s news. I half figured there would be other transfer requests – Faé and Maloney were vocal about their feelings yesterday but I figured I could make some inroads with one of those players this morning.

I did so after training, which proceeded surprisingly well. That’s because I got another surprise today.

As I prepared to head out onto the practice pitch, Sonko showed up, in full training kit. Rat Pack shirt and all.

“Boss, I need to talk with you for a minute,” he said. “Can we please talk?”

“All right,” I said. “Sit down.”

He did. “I want to talk with you – without my agent,” he said. “It is important to me.”

“All right,” I repeated. “I’m listening. But be quick and you’d better be impressive.”

“I do not want to leave the club.”

I stared at him. I suppose I probably looked like I had been hit with a two-by-four.

“Boss, are you all right?”

Slowly, I nodded. “Yes, I’m fine,” I said. “You don’t want to leave the club.”

“No, I don’t.”

“Now let me see if I’ve got this straight,” I said. “Your agent comes into my office yesterday like he owns the f**king building, tells me when I can and can’t go to training, tells you to come into the board room at his command, has you hand me a transfer request – and it’s all crap?”

He bowed his head. “I’m sorry,” he said. “But yes. It was crap, from my end. I do not want to leave the club.”

“You’ll pardon me for not really understanding, of course.”

“I don’t blame you,” he said. “I will gladly accept whatever punishment you give me for missing training and for upsetting the squad. Including a fine or reserves.”

“This makes no sense,” I said. “But you must know I don’t want you to leave the club.”

“I understand this,” he said. “I have played almost every match. And the team is getting results. Yet Dumont…”

“…doesn’t enter into this conversation,” I interjected. “Why did you let him dominate you so?”

“He said I could get a big money deal if I listened to him,” he said. “I did, and then I saw all the trouble I caused yesterday by agreeing with him. I am very upset at myself and I know I have hurt the team.”

“Not only have you hurt the team, you have hurt your teammates,” I said. “You hurt Faé, you hurt Maloney, and goodness knows who else. I have to repair relationships with them now because they think I was trying to drive you out of the club.”

“I will help with them too,” he said. “It was a foolish thing I did and I am ready to pay the penalty.”

“I have an idea,” I said. “Maybe it will help.”

# # #

Joorabchian owns Tevez's rights, which is third-party ownership and therefore illegal in England. Knowing this, he pulled the wool over West Ham's eyes and brokered an illegal contract with them, and then I believe he supplied damaging information when he was pushing for Carlos' transfer to Manchester United. Now he's jacking up Tevez's price so Man U may not be able to afford to make his 2-year loan permanent. West Ham got screwed out of a lot of cash and is locked in courts with Sheffield United over it, and poor Tevez just wants to play football.

Archived