Better than Brian Clough?

Northernpilgrim

As previously stated, if the trophies aren't won in the specified timeframes, the save continues, but the challenge is over. I would then be free (and probably looking, unless Derby looked like winning the league the next season for example), to move wherever I wanted. I hope to succeed, of course, but I have enjoyed the experience of doing this challenge. This will be my last save before FM13.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro 2019 qualification is shaping up nicely. Only the group winners go through, and with 3 games to play including a home tie with Serbia, it's very definitely ours to throw away. The squad is getting stronger and better with every game, and I'm optimistic that we can do well again. Qualification will be assured with victory at home to Serbia, then we can concentrate on preparing for the tournament. Not sure how long I plan on staying, as it's not looking likely that the club side of the challenge will continue beyond the Derby years, I just can't get them high enough up the league to mount a challenge. If I don't, I'd like to take on either the nation of my birth (England), or my ancestors home nation (Rep of Ireland).

Agreed, SRL, it's a very slow, disappointing start to the season. I'd hoped that the overhaul would have produced some results, but even with the increased wage budget, it's still well below what the teams challenging for the European spots are spending, and we're no longer over-achieving as we did in my first season or so. Life with the U21s is working nicely, and I'm surely making a case to be considered for the senior role. It's looking very unlikely, with 2 seasons to go after this one, that I'll achieve what Cloughie did at Derby, but that in a way was the point, to find out just how difficult that was. How he never got either the England job, or one of the top jobs in England or abroad, is beyond me.

Cheers cerud, but as I now have only 78 games left, that means I HAVE to win the League this season, so that I can achieve the European Cup Semi Final too. That looks very unlikely, but I'm going to scour Europe for expiring contracts to replace the current squad. Expect a major upheaval again this time, in one last desperate attempt to pull off the impossible. If I don't succeeed I will be off in the summer.

The challenge as it originally stood is over. I received the following offer, which given the severe restrictions at Derby, was just too good to turn down. I realise there will be some who are disappointed, and feel that I have betrayed the career thread, but I was finding it increasingly difficult to continue, and felt that now was the right time to give it up and move on. I am remaining as manager of England U21s. I genuinely don't know what's going to happen in the thread next, but I'm looking forward to my new challenge in Spain

JamieSheehanNews_Inbox-8.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to close the season out with 2 more wins, as the recent upturn in form leads me to the conclusion that that is what should be achievable. I'm looking at minor surgery over the summer, with only one or two players in, and a similar number out. I desperately need to solve the problem of an over reliance on Joaquin Ibanez though, as he's bagged more than 60 goals in all competitions this season so far.

Not really jumping ship 'every time'. The point of the challenge was to try and replicate Cloughie's achievements at the same clubs, and to move when this had been done or no longer could be. I achieved way more than him at Hartlepool (and they're still a Championship side, so it wasn't built on sand), then moved on to Derby, where I would have had to win the league the season I left, which was never going to happen due to the finances. I then took England U21s to a European Final, before being offered a promotion to a top national job. The move to Malaga proved successful, but again their finances were shocking, so beating the big 2 was never on the cards. I've always fancied a crack at Italy, and when the Italian champions came calling, it was too good to say no. That said, their finances are bad too. What is it with me and clubs with no money?

I've just checked out HOW BAD. I haven't made any signings in or out, and the bank balance is (£26,602,064). This despite being £170k below the wage budget. Some catastrophic decisions must have been made by my predecessor, and the squad is hardly full of household international names.

How come we get 2 European heavyweights, whereas Man Utd and Athletico Madrid get groups they would have chosen themselves? Particularly galling as Fiorentina won Serie A, Man Utd came 3rd in the EPL. I'd be happy with their group. At least Atletico Madrid won La Liga.

Archived