Better than Brian Clough?

Northernpilgrim

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A month in which we beat Man Utd (h) 4-2, draw 1-1 at Everton, then beat Newcastle at home 2-0. The League Cup has been exited at the first stage, with a 2-1 defeat at Championship Sheffield United. As I made 6 changes, I'm neither surprised nor bothered. The media tipped us as outsiders to win it, but who wants to do a Birmingham City and play European football in The Championship? I'd rather stay in the division, build for next season, and have a crack at getting in the Europa League for season 3.

We're exactly the same distance away from the Champions League spots as we are the bottom 3. Keep that up and we'll finish mid table. But we need to start putting teams away, especially at home. Our last match was a 2-2 draw at home to Blackburn, who were promoted with us. We were 2-0 down, so for now it's a point gained.

The run shows no sign of ending. I've tried keeping the formation the same, changing it, keeping the team the same, changing it, holding team meetings, not holding team meetings. I'm lost for ideas, and reduced to HOPING that the form will sort itself out.

DerbyCountyFixtures_Fixtures-7.png

I don't do Hail Mary's, I'm an Agnostic :). However, I'm pleased that we now look capable of staying in the division, rather than falling through it with a whimper

I actually meant a Hail Mary as in North American football :)

The final league table. 2-1 defeat to already relegated Burnley confirms relegation, made all the worse by the knowledge that it was in our own hands all afternoon, with Everton never ahead, and eventually beaten. At the same time, we never left the bottom 3, as we were 1-0 down, level, then 2-1 down. Gutted. We probably deserve it, if only because we've had 2 shocking runs of defeats, and if we'd interrupted either of them with even 1 win, we would be safe. The club is now rumoured to be up for sale, so I'll probably have a transfer embargo, just when I don't need it.

EnglishPremierDivisionOverview_Stages-9.png

A run in of W1 D3 L7 from the last 11, when just one more result, or a few more draws, would have done, is frankly unforgivable. To add insult to injury, the takeover has collapsed, and there are managers offering to replace me. Thankfully the board have laughed the offers off...so far. But I've had to let a load of players go to trim the wage bill, my squad currently totals 11.

Yep, and my squad's now a mess. Released all players not good enough. Have a massive wage budget of £300k/wk but couldn't persuade any decent out of contract players to join, so have ended up with several I don't want. I am not signing any players on transfer fees, as my record on paying for players is less than good. My scouts keep screwing up though, so might have to start just doing the work myself.

Our unbeaten run at this level is now 21 games, having also won the final 7 to clinch the title two seasons ago. We really need to start winning rather than drawing so many away games though. I've seen other saves where people have missed out on promotions and titles because of too many draws, and I don't want to fall victim.

Cheers cerud! And I'm starting to get linked to jobs again too. Amazing how when you get promotion, you're the next big thing, but suffer relegation afterwards and nobody wants you. So glad I managed to ward off those asking the Chairman about replacing me! On the subject of the Chairman, he's put the club up for sale again, but as yet no offers, so I don't have a Transfer Embargo. What's the betting he gets an offer in late December? :eek:

Huddersfield have been phenomenal all season, although I refuse to give up on the title, as we have reduced their lead from 10 points to 1, and our goal difference would see us crowned Champions if the points finish level.

We play them at Pride Park in 4 games time, the third last game of the season. I would put money on the winner that day taking the title. If we beat them, I just don't see us throwing it away, but lose to them, and we'll put them within touching distance. Should be an exciting time

I'm also keeping an eye on my previous club, Hartlepool. Far from nosediving back to League 1, they are mounting a challenge for the Championship playoffs, and without the goals of James Brown too, as he's currently on loan with me at Derby. Won't be making him a permanent signing, as he seems to have left his shooting boots in County Durham, but it's nice to have a familiar face around. If I could just convince them they don't need Luke James...

Fingers crossed. I'm not going to have a massive cull this time, I'll just add one or two players in key areas to try and ensure we are competitive in the PL. I bet Huddersfield didn't expect to pass 100 points and not win the league. I've never seen that happen before!

Before May is finished, I'm linked as the most likely candidate to replace the sacked managers of Aston Villa, West Brom, and interestingly, Torino. Normally I'd have packed my bags for Italy, but not this time. All rejected.

Archived