Poaching Youth Players

Why is it that if you buy a youth player from another team, sometimes he can't make the move to your club for several years? Can young players not move clubs until they're 17 and can sign professional contracts? I don't know anything about how youth contracts work, but why can't you work out a deal to acquire such a player immediately?

Also, is there any difference between acquiring a player like this by "approaching to sign"/paying the compensation fee, and actually negotiating a transfer for him? I just found a 15 year-old in Brazil, and my scout tells me we could buy him for under $100k, but if I attempt to directly sign him, it tells me I have to pay a $1.7m compensation fee. How is the compensation fee calculated?

Sorry for all the questions!

If you sign a player direct, the fee is set by a tribunal and takes into account the potential skill of the player along with future transfer potential.

With a talented player you can often negotiate direct with the club and get a better deal than leaving it to a tribunal, especially if they need the money.

Players from Brazil & some other countries (Mainly South American I think) a player can't leave the country until they are 18yo unless they have a European second nationality in which case they can move to that European country.

no other way around, it has nothing to do with EU laws, but rather the country they are from (even if they are EU) they will wait to 18 before they get transfered. Have a look at side menu (on the right) when you are on the transfer screen, they will tell you when they can come over.

Players from Brazil & some other countries (Mainly South American I think) a player can't leave the country until they are 18yo unless they have a European second nationality in which case they can move to that European country.

Is that true? Annoying to find a great 15 YO only to realise he's from Brazil. You start imagining how good they could be if they could join you straight away. Never thought 2nd Nationality would over-rule this. So if I'm an Italian team the player has to have Italian as 2nd nationality?

Is that true? Annoying to find a great 15 YO only to realise he's from Brazil. You start imagining how good they could be if they could join you straight away. Never thought 2nd Nationality would over-rule this. So if I'm an Italian team the player has to have Italian as 2nd nationality?

Unless there have been rule changes in the last couple of years.

The last time I actually did something like that was in Italy on FM10.

Players from South America and parts of Africa (maybe all Africa?) can't join an European club (within EU) before they are 18 years old (and the transfer window is open). Sometimes players can have a second nationality. If that second nationality is in the EU the player can join before he reaches 18 years (still the transfer window has to be open).

Hm... Could someone clarify? Is it second nationality and/or place of birth that decides if a player is allowed to move to EU before his 18th birthday?

And by the way, i'm pretty sure this rule applies to all non-eu countries (except Iceland, Norway & Switzerland).

I can only second the request for an option to pay extra cash to the parents so that they will move to the club before his 18th birthday. But, a big but, it should be something that goes through the board. Otherwise everyone will just do it for every player they buy. Even though there should be a very high price for it. But if we can tick a box when negotiating the contract where we say that we want him to move earlier and that we'll ask the board about it. After that the board can decide if the player is worth the cost or not. Some players/parents should refuse too. I doubt many American parents would be interested in moving to Europe unless the player is a true super talent and a sure high-earner in the future.

If i remember correctly there was also a Nigerian striker that went to some German team while he was still 16/17 a few years ago?

Hm... Could someone clarify? Is it second nationality and/or place of birth that decides if a player is allowed to move to EU before his 18th birthday?

And by the way, i'm pretty sure this rule applies to all non-eu countries (except Iceland, Norway & Switzerland).

If just one of the players nationalities are in the EU that would be sufficient.

Archived