Cooking up success in the Cook Islands

ShanghaiNugget

Cooking up success in the Cook Islands...

... And I've left my oven mitts in England.

I've decided to spend some time in the unknown of Oceania, or the Cook Islands to be precise, in an attempt to tame their top tier league 'The Round Cup'.

This league can be both fun and frustrating. Seven teams, twelve games, and a cup competition that only takes two wins to claim (if you receive the bye, otherwise it's three games); easy isn't it? Well, we'll see. All the teams are amateur so there's no salaries, no transfer fees, and no compensation to pay.

The season lasts from mid-September to late-November in real life, but I've changed this in the game to mid-August to mid-December to meet the minimum season length required. The teams like to make a LOT of transfers. In a test run one team made 35 inbound transfers and 41 outbound transfers, that's a total of 76 transfers in ONE season. These teams will try to steal your players too, simply just by offering them an amateur contract, and all you can do it offer them an amateur contract too and hope they choose to stay. Annoying? Yes. Busy? Yes!

So an entire roster can change with your back turned, this is almost playground football. And it's easy to get carried away and just sign anyone from anywhere simply out of spite, so I've put in a transfer window so no teams can sign/steal any players during the season, and no loans are allowed between teams, you simply get your team ready for when the window shuts at the end of July, and then that's all you've got until the new year.

I'm going to take charge of whoever is predicted to finish last, not that the predictions have much impact in this league. I've also added an U20 league so unused youngsters can still develop.

Here is my profile. My previous experience is set to Sunday League, but nice to have national reputation already. I have taken charge of Tupapa, who are predicted to finish 7th but are the 2010 and 2011 champions.

Best of luck.

Must admit I struggled in a similar career (well, one season!) in Vanuatu precisely because of the nature of the clubs with all of your team disappearing in front of your eyes during the season.

There was a transfer window in Vanuatu, but clubs were still able to pinch players from Amateur contracts as free transfers. Think you can do something about this in the Editting settings, but you'll need to make sure that it is set up too not allow free transfers.

Best of luck.

Must admit I struggled in a similar career (well, one season!) in Vanuatu precisely because of the nature of the clubs with all of your team disappearing in front of your eyes during the season.

There was a transfer window in Vanuatu, but clubs were still able to pinch players from Amateur contracts as free transfers. Think you can do something about this in the Editting settings, but you'll need to make sure that it is set up too not allow free transfers.

I saw that, it's a shame to have that gulf in status between teams in the same division, but you did well for what you had, and for what you had taken from you. You wasn't going to do any better without semi-pro status so was best to move. This should be fun though... I put the window in because it will otherwise become too much to deal with when your top scorer wanders off to another team without any warning or consent, it seems unfair so I compared it with Sunday league football (which it's probably the same as in terms of standard), no one I know in the Sunday leagues would quit a team to join another simply because they asked, you'd have to have a strong valid reason for it.

Good luck mate. Sounds like you have an interesting challenge on your hands.

It should be a good challenge, I'm going to try and limit myself to 10 transfers a year, just to cater for any losses and reinforces, it would be ridiculous to change your entire 30 man swuad because you can.

Here is my squad that I have been lumbered with. Nothing amazing and a few areas I need to strengthen, goalkeeper and right wing to name a couple.

hwguja.png

Key Players

GK - Tyson Tekeu. I couldn't have a better native keeper, he's in the national side and only 24. Good aerial ability, reflexes, concentration and agility, not much more you can ask for in a keeper. My backups are both 15-year olds, think I'm going to need to bring in someone with a bit more experience in case of injury to Tekeu.

DF - David Maggie. Not fantastic tackling but good marking and can play anywhere along the back four. Unquestionable work rate and fitness, but his high aggression has a potential for a few suspensions.

MD - James Nand. A 34-year old veteran, plays down the left wing, not a lot of pace but good fitness and stamina and a good leader. Won't offer a lot in skill and flair, but should help in getting the ball down the pitch. A little worried that he may be pushed off the ball too easily though, may start looking for a backup.

FW - Junior Puroku. Has made several international appearances with good finishing and penalty skills. A good stamina and natural fitness should mean the 30-year old is regularly in the team, and looks likely to be a star player in this seasons squad at least.

PRE-SEASON 2011

TRANSFERS

In

15.07 Ben Marsters (D/WB L) - Titikaveka

15.07 Logesh Chandra (GK) - Arorangi

25.07 Vase Tereva (D RLC) - Nikao

27.07 Terry Piri (D RL) - Avatiu

27.07 Bim Kiriau (M/AM RL) - Avatiu

27.07 Niko Tangi (AM C, ST) - Titikaveka

28.07 Teavae Best (AM C, ST) - Titikaveka

30.07 Mariri Purea (D RC) - Avatiu

30.07 Manu Priest (D RL, WB R) - Avatiu

31.07 Michael Varney (M C) - Free Transfer

Out

31.07 Teira Ioana (M C) - Matavera

31.07 Mii Joseph (M/AM L) - Takuvaine

31.07 Tokoa Tauraa (M C) - Arorangi

31.07 Trens Poila (D C) - Arorangi

31.07 Niirangi Arona (D C) - Takuvaine

31.07 Tuakana Marukore (ST) - Takuvaine

31.07 Anthony Parakoti (ST) - Avatiu

31.07 Ricardo Espinoza (AM C) - Avatiu

GAMES

rcudtw.png

With no senior teams to play who aren't in the same league, it was either go abroad or play youth teams, so I decided to stay on the island and just have a couple of games for fitness. Still, 8 goals and none conceded, with a few braces from my promising strike force. Maybe a tour for next season's preparation though.

INTERNATIONAL CALL UPS

SENIOR (Friendly v Kiribati)

Tyson Tekeu

Shunia Herman

Mark Vulcher

James Nand

Michael Varney

Junior Pukoru

U21 (Friendly v Samoa U21)

Logesh Chandra

Mariri Purea

Arve Best

Ben Marsters

Javon Nicholas

U19 (Friendly v Papua New Guinea U19)

Tuka Piri

Let's get ready for the season! I will do brief updates every 3 league games, which our first bunch are against Titikaveka (H), Matavera (A), Nikao (H).

SEASON 2011, GAMES 1-3

08.08 - 17.09

RESULTS

51ilj.png

TABLE

17zw2b.png

REPORTS

13.08 Tupapa 1-1 Titikaveka (League) - With a few key players away on international duty, namely Tekeu, Varney, Nand and Puroku, I'm having to field a bit of an under-strength team. I tell the players to tackle hard and it seems to do the job as Titikaveka are a little frightened to attack, but when they do they get it right and take the lead minutes before half time. It takes until the 80th for us to salvage something from the game after Herman Muraai makes good use of a Campbell Best through ball, slotting home to claim a point.

Att: 137

05.09 Tupapa 1-0 Arorangi (Cup) - Cup fever comes to town as we welcome Arorangi to Victoria Park but I am still without some key players due to internationals again, this time the Pacific Games are trying to halt a potential cup run. 90 minutes go by pretty uneventful, just some shoddy attacking from both sides and we're forced to play extra time. It takes 6 minutes for the first goal to be scored, a David Maggie cross meets the head of Shunia Herman who guides it away from the keeper, scoring the winner. Bim Kiriau goes off injured to at the mid-way point of extra time and we're left with 10 men, but it doesn't matter, we hold out to the final whistle. On to the semi's where we will face Avatiu.

Att: 90

14.09 Tupapa 1-0 Nikao (League) - With all players back from international duty, we're ready for this game. Michael Varney, James Nand and Mark Vulcher are straight back in, but Logesh Chandra has kept Tyson Tekeu out of the #1 spot. We take an early lead in the 2nd minute when Gustave Tutuava capitalises on a goalmouth scramble, but despite constant attacking after, we fail to double the lead by half-time. Nikao put us on the back foot in the second half and there's a few nervous moments in front of goal, but it's cleared every time and we hold on for the win. Unbeaten so far.

Att: 136

17.09 Tupapa 0-0 Arorangi (League) - Only 3 days after the win against Nikao and we're on the pitch again, for our 4th home fixture in a row. Complaining? No, I love game day, even at a desolate field like this. After his good performances for the U21 national side, Mariri Purea makes his first team debut. It was a dire game, with only 3 shots on target from both teams, actually, they were all ours. We should have scored our goal, out-shooting Arorangi 9:1, but we went down to 10 men when Michael Varney was sent off in the 2nd half and we ended up just concentrating on not conceding. A point is a point.

Att: 125

INTERNATIONAL APPEARANCES

SENIOR

10.08 Kiribati 3-0 COOK ISLANDS (Friendly)

Tyson Tekeu, Michael Varney, Junior Puroku (inj), Mark Vulcher, James Nand.

21.08 COOK ISLANDS 2-1 Papua New Guinea (Friendly)

Mark Vulcher, Michael Varney, Tyson Tekeu.

23.08 American Samoa 3-2 COOK ISLANDS (Friendly)

James Nand, Michael Varney, Mark Vulcher, Tyson Tekeu.

27.08 COOK ISLANDS 0-2 Wallis and Futuna (Pacific Games)

Mark Vulcher, James Nand, Michael Varney.

29.08 Solomon Islands 2-0 COOK ISLANDS (Pacific Games)

Mark Vulcher, Michael Varney.

31.08 New Caledonia 2-1 COOK ISLANDS (Pacific Games)

Mark Vulcher, Michael Varney, James Nand.

U21

09.08 Samoa 1-2 COOK ISLANDS (Friendly)

Mariri Purea, Ben Marsters, Arve Best, Javon Nicholas, Logesh Chandra.

02.09 Tonga 3-3 COOK ISLANDS (Friendly)

Logesh Chandra, Ben Marsters, Mariri Purea, Javon Nicholas.

U19

09.08 COOK ISLANDS 1-3 Papua New Guinea (Friendly)

Tuka Piri.

02.08 American Samoa 0-3 COOK ISLANDS (Friendly)

Tuka Piri (1), Arve Best.

INJURY TABLE

Junior Pukoru suffers a punishing injury in an international game against Kiribati, the striker will be out for 3 months (expected return mid-November). That's a blow for me as he's my first choice up front, now he's out for most of the season before it even starts.

Bim Kiriau is out for 3 weeks due to a damaged elbow, which means he will be out for 5 games, possibly returning for the semi-final against Avatiu.

UNDER 20'S

The youth squad didn't have the strongest starts to their campaign with 2 losses against Titikaveka (0-2) and Matavera (1-2) but held their own against a good Nikao team with a 2-0 win. The winning mentality stuck around as a 5-1 win against Takuvaine came round soon after. A late hat-trick from substitute Joshua Kare was the highlight in that game.

SEASON 2011, GAMES 4-6

18.09 - 30.09

RESULTS

ifcshd.png

TABLE

eg277r.png

REPORTS

21.09 Takuvaine 0-0 Tupapa (League) - Tyson Tekeu starts his first game of the season, but the game goes breasts up as striker Campbell Best is sent off 5 minutes in. We manage to keep it goalless up to half-time, but midfielder Eugene Tatuava takes a knock and has to come off. With 10 minutes to go, still 0-0, we're down to 9 men as centre back Mark Vulcher gets himself sent off with a rash challenge. Did I set my tactics to 'kill'? It ends 0-0 which takes us up to 3rd, and after going down to 9 men, I'm happy with a point.

Att: 146

24.09 Avatiu 0-1 Tupapa (League) - Before the game, I receive the news that a key player, Michael Varney, has been suspended for a further 2 more games following his red card against Arorangi, this is a bit of a blow. Logesh Chandra is back in goal for this one. Another game, another red... as if we weren't short on forwards for this game already, Kore Herman receives a red 25 minutes in. Not much goes on until the 70th minute when a Gustave Tutuava shot is saved but falls to Sheik Shah who scores the rebound, and we're on our way to a sweet 3 points.

Att: 122

30.09 Titikaveka 0-0 Tupapa (League) - Campbell Best has been suspended for a further 2 games, so I'm very low on strikers forcing me to change to a 4-1-4-1 formation. Things get worse during the game as centre back Vase Tereva goes off injured, and full back David Maggie is injured too but can play on. It all ends very uneventful, we do love a bore draw at Tupapa. I also sacked my assistant manager for giving me some bad advice.

Att: 123

INJURY TABLE

Eugene Tatuava was injured in the game against Takuvaine, the midfielder suffered a torn groin and will be out for 3 months.

UNDER 20'S

Two games played by the U20's, a 2-1 win against Arorangi and a typical Tupapa 0-0 against Avatiu. The goals were scored by Tuka Piri and Rob Taeru. Tuka Piri has been putting in a few good performances for the youth team and will be one for the future. They are now up to 2nd in the league, level on points with 1st place Matavera.

SEASON 2011, GAMES 7-9

01.10 - 04.11

RESULTS

5v52y9.png

TABLE

3522d74.png

REPORTS

03.10 Avatiu - Tupapa (Cup) - I've got a new assistant manager, Albert Arioka, who is also the U21 manager for the Cook Islands. Bim Kiriau makes his return from injury too, with both Mark Vulcher and Michael Varney back from suspension. Gustav Tatuava, you beauty, he scores a pearler curler from a sublime Michael Varney through ball, a very well worked goal. Avatiu get level with a goal from Jimmy Katoa after some poor defending. Vase Tereva goes off injured, again. A goal from Apo Dyer puts us ahead, Shah puts in a cross, Ngarua heads to the far post and Dyer finishes the job. We hold on for the win, and we're through to the final! We will face Nikao.

Att: 89

21.10 Tupapa - Matavera (League) - Junior Puroku returns from 3 months of injury, and Campbell Best completes the strike force, coming back from suspension. He scores the winning goal, albeit slightly lucky, Bim Kiriau took a shot a goal and Best got in the way, deflecting the ball in. Another 3 points in the bag, and another clean sheet.

Att: 140

24.10 Nikao 2-1 Tupapa (Cup) - It's final day, and we take the lead early on through Junior Puroku but give away a penalty just before half-time which is duly scored by Nikao. Disheartened by the late goal, heads drop and we let in another from a corner which should have been dealt with easily. The whistle goes and we're not cup winners, which I certainly expected to be before the game. I just hope this doesn't affect the players from here on. This is also my first defeat as Tupapa manager.

Att: 656

27.10 Matavera 1-1 Tupapa (League) - Our 2nd league game in a row against Matavera who sit 6th in the table. A game we should have won to be honest, we took the lead through Gustave Tutuava in the 4th minute before succumbing to an 80th minute equaliser.

Att: 87

04.11 Nikao 3-0 Tupapa (League) - This was our chance for some revenge over Nikao, the Cup winners only 2 games ago. I'm not fussed about 3 points, just a couple of broken legs will do. The result doesn't go our way at all, and we actually end up with a couple of injuries.

Att: 108

SENIOR

08.10 Papua New Guinea 3-0 COOK ISLANDS (Friendly)

Michael Varney, Mark Vulcher.

U21

07.10 Tonga 3-0 COOK ISLANDS (Friendly)

Arve Best, Mariri Purea, Javon Nicholas, Sheik Shah, Logesh Chandra, Ben Marsters.

U19

07.10 Tahiti 1-0 COOK ISLANDS (Friendly)

Tuka Piri.

INJURY TABLE

Junior Puroku is injured again, he sustained a bruised rib in the final against Nikao. Expected to be out for 2 weeks.

Centre-back Terry Piri sprains his ankle in the league game against Nikao, which will put him out for 2 months.

UNDER 20'S

Another 2 games for the U20's, 4 goals but only 1 point. A 3-3 draw with Titikaveka and a 1-4 loss to Matavera. Joshua Kare is the current top scorer with 3 goals, and the team sit in 5th.

SEASON 2011, GAMES 10-12

05.11 - 02.12

RESULTS

2011_10-12.png

TABLE

2011_Table.png

REPORTS

09.11 Tupapa 1-0 Takuvaine (League) - Going in to the final 3 games of the season, I change to a 4-3-3 hoping for some goals. It wasn't the flurry I expected but Junior Puroku, who also scored a goal when he last returned from injury, sealed the points 10 minutes from time.

Att: 131

25.11 Arorangi 0-1 Tupapa (League) - We need 4 points to guarentee us the title and we got the vital 3 against a strong Arorangi squad. Gustav Tatuava clinches it for us, and I give him a wet sloppy kiss.

Att: 133

02.12 Tupapa 2-0 Avatiu (League) - Actually, we had already won the league before the game started because I didn't take in to account the game in hand we had, which was that game against Arorangi. Holy crap, I've won the league! Who cares about this fixture, I've won the championship, up yours Nikao. Anyways, Vase Tereva scores with his head, and Junior Puroku scores from the spot, a nice win to end the season with in front of our fans.

Att: 151

INJURY NEWS

Thomas Nganu bruises his head in a collision during the Avatiu game and will be out for 2 weeks, and Bim Kiriau is out for 2 months with a broken arm.

UNDER 20'S

Not a fantastic ending to the youth's season; 1 win, 1 draw, 2 losses. They finish 5th out 7.

FINAL RESULTS

2011_Results.png

PRE-SEASON 2012

FRIENDLIES

10.08 Tupapa 3-2 Tupapa U20 (Friendly)

Not a fantastic game for our first team, but it shows some promising signs from the youth squad. The U20's lead at half time 2-0 with goals from Tennessee English and Christian Henry, but the first team get in to gear and Ta Nooroa scores their 1st with a beautiful curling shot in to the far corner. Paul Luiz van Eijk heads in from a corner and Sheik Shah seals the win with a shot on the rebound.

TRANSFERS

IN (22)

01.01 - Joe Iafeta (M) - Utulei Youth (Samoa)

01.01 - Willie Bera (G) - Free Transfer (Papua New Guinea)

01.01 - Akwasi Ageyi (F) - Free Transfer (Solomon Islands)

13.01 - Mike Lewis (M) - Titikaveka

22.01 - Tautu Manuarii (M) - Avatiu

31.01 - Naea Rangi (G) - Nikao

09.02 - Grant Taylor (D) - Matavera

13.02 - Raymond Newnham (F) - Arorangi

08.03 - Taku Samuel (M) - Arorangi

14.03 - Ta Nooroa (F) - Nikao

09.05 - Dennis Tararo (M) - Titikaveka

10.05 - Eddie Marama (M) - Takuvaine

13.05 - Grant Cooper (D) - Miramir (New Zealand)

15.06 - Raymond Pirangi (G) - Matavera

02.07 - Vaivase Samania (M) - Nikao

23.07 - Lionel Taylor (D) - Moataa (Samoa)

29.07 - Teavae Kare (M) - Avatiu

30.07 - Christian Henry (F) - Nikao

30.07 - Morris Hallin (M) - Nikao

30.07 - Tennessee English (M) - Takuvaine

31.07 - Ngatuaine Ngere (F) - Arorangi

31.07 - Paul Luiz van Eijk (F) - Avatiu

OUT (13)

07.02 - Mariri Purea (D) - Matavera

28.02 - Adam Kamana (M) - Takuvaine

29.02 - Campbell Best (F) - Titikaveka

12.03 - Gustave Tutuava (F) - Matavera

25.04 - Patrick Ropiani (D) - Titikaveka

30.04 - Herman Muraai (M) - Matavera

11.05 - Manu Priest (D) - Nikao

06.06 - Raiorua Paio Ngarua (D) - Free Transfer

07.06 - Thomas Nganu (D) - Avatiu

12.06 - Logesh Chandra (G) - Nikao

28.07 - Mike Lewis (M) - Matavera

27.06 - Duane Gukisuva (M) - Takuvaine

31.07 - Junior Puroku (F) - Avatiu

As you can see, transfers is a hectic business in the Cook Islands. I had a lot of teams interested in players like Sheik Shah, Gustav Tatuava and Ben Marsters, but managed to keep a grip on these key players. However, a few departures I wasn't too pleased with were Mariri Purea (who moved to Matavera and then to Nikao a few months later), Campbell Best, promising 'keeper Logesh Chandra and most of all, Mike Lewis, a winger who I was looking forward to seeing, left before I even got to field him.

In terms of players coming in, I've brought in 5 foreign players, 1 of which is one for the future, 18-year old Papua New Guinea goalkeeper Willie Bera, who already has 6 caps. Grant Cooper is a 38-year old defender from New Zealand, Lionel Taylor (28) and Joe Iafeta (20), defender and midfielder respectively, are from Samoa, and Akwasi Ageyi, my hopefully new star striker, is 31-years old from the Solomon Islands. But probably the most exciting Cook Islands signing is Ta Nooroa, a striker from Nikao.

AUGUST 2012

RESULTS

mrsm84.png

REPORTS

17.08 Tupapa 0-4 Avatiu (League)

Junior Puroku comes back to haunt us in his first visit to Victoria Park since leaving in the summer, scoring the first goal from the penalty spot. Avatiu bang in 3 more in the 2nd half, goals from Geoffrey Strickland, Matthew Tou and John Pareanga. This game almost marked the return of midfielder Thomas Nganu, but our performance was abysmal, it was an exact copy of Milan vs Arsenal and the worse way to kick off our defence of the title.

Att: 120

24.08 Nikao 0-1 Tupapa (League)

That's not a bad way to bounce back from a 4-0 defeat, by beating a team I absolutely dislike. It was Ngatuaine Ngere who won us the 3 points with a rocket shot from outside the box.

Att: 129

31.08 Tupapa 3-2 Takuvaine (League)

A second victory on the trot with 3 well worked goals. We took the lead through Akwasi Ageyi who scored his first goal for the club, but Takuvaine levelled with a Mona Vainekeu goal, then Ta Nooroa put us in the lead with a pretty sweet shot before Anthony Parakoti brought the two teams square again. It wasn't until the 88th minute when Akwasi Ageyi completed his brace, capitalising on a saved shot. Takuvaine definitely looking a better team than they did last season.

Att: 142

TABLE

14ayb91.png

STATS

GOALS

Akwasi Ageyi - 2

Ngatuaine Ngere - 1

Ta Nooroa - 1

ASSISTS

Akwasi Ageyi - 1

Terry Piri - 1

Senior

Cook Islands: Ben Marsters, Mark Vulcher, Michael Varney, Vaivase Samania.

U21

Cook Islands: Grant Taylor, Javon Nicholas, Tautu Manuarii, Ta Nooroa, Arve Best, Teavae Kare.

Samoa: Joe Iafeta.

Best of luck with this :thup: Just persist with the hard work and maybe one day you can make the Cook Islands really good!

Where did you download this database from? Can you give me a link?

Oh I don't know about making the Cook Islands any good, that's going to take a LOT of work! And a Qatari.

I made the database myself, was easy enough to do as most of the vital details were already there, just needed to add a few kits. I can try and upload it somewhere, but I just need to tweak it a little.

Oh I don't know about making the Cook Islands any good, that's going to take a LOT of work! And a Qatari.

I made the database myself, was easy enough to do as most of the vital details were already there, just needed to add a few kits. I can try and upload it somewhere, but I just need to tweak it a little.

Okay, because I would really like to give this a go myself ;)

SEPTEMBER 2012

RESULTS

2eald01.png

REPORTS

05.09 Titikaveka 0-2 Tupapa (League)

We continue our winning form with a win against a reasonable Titkaveka team. Akwasi Ageyi scores yet again and then assists Mark Vulcher's goal with a corner. One thing I have noticed is we're not taking as many bookings compared to this time last season, always a good thing.

Att: 136

10.09 Matavera 0-2 Tupapa (Cup)

Four wins in a row now as we advance to the semi's at the expense of Matavera. A beautifully headed goal from Sheik Shah put us in front and then early substitute Bim Kiriau sticks his foot out in front of a Ben Marsters cross to double the lead.

Att: 95

15.09 Tupapa 1-2 Matavera (League)

The second of a double-header against Matavera, this time it's in the league. Ngatuaine Ngere scores one of his trademark rocket strikes in the 8th minute following a missed penalty from Michael Varney, and we look comfortable up until the 70th minute when Matavera start to put us on the back foot. Phillip English scores a soft goal in the 76th minute, and then Shunia Herman gets sent off for us in the 88th minute, which English scores from the resulting free kick. Far from an ideal result and the lack of concentration was disappointing. I'd rather have lost in the cup.

Att: 126

28.09 Arorangi 0-0 Tupapa (League)

Looking to bounce back from the defeat against Matavera, we fail to take advantage of a weak and vulnerable Arorangi side. This kid is keeping a tight hold on their sweets.

Att: 106

TABLE

vphggo.png

STATS

GOALS

Akwasi Ageyi - 3

Ngatuaine Ngere - 2

Mark Vulcher - 1

Sheik Shah - 1

Ta Nooroa - 1

Bim Kiriau - 1

ASSISTS

Akwasi Ageyi - 4

Terry Piri - 2

Ben Marsters - 1

Ngatuaine Ngere - 1

OCTOBER 2012

RESULTS

1glous.png

REPORTS

05.10 Avatiu 1-1 Tupapa (League)

Playing against top of the league, we can't let them win and extend the gap. Or at least not lose 4-0 like last time. We do take the lead before half-time with a fantastic strike from Paul Luiz van Eijk, but Junior Puroku haunts us again, grabbing a point for his team at 90 minutes blasting his shot in to the roof of the net.

Att: 134

08.10 Tupapa 1-3e Nikao (Cup Semi Final)

A chance for us to progress in the cup and challenge for some silverware was ended short by holders Nikao. Jeremy Robertson gave Nikao the lead at half-time before they scored an own goal in the second, courtesy of Manu Tautu. This took us to extra time but my team were shattered from playing 3 days ago, and Nikao took advantage of that with 2 goals from David Ngametua and Simione Kairua. We crash out unfashionably, but that's one less game to play.

Att: 113

19.10 Tupapa 0-0 Nikao (League)

We fail to capitalise on a 10 man Nikao team. Ioane Victor was sent off in the 24th minute for a second bookable offence. This leaves us in 3rd, 3 points behind leaders Takuvaine (who we play next), with 4 games left of the season.

Att: 116

26.10 Takuvaine 0-0 Tupapa (League)

An improved and top of the table Takuvaine team go to town on a sub-standard but recently regular performance from Tupapa. Daniel Taringa scores a double and Anthony Parakoti puts in the 3rd before Paul Luiz van Eijk salvages a consolation goal for us in the final minute. This season has been very disappointing and I can't see us turning it around in the final 3 games.

Att: 163

TABLE

2eozb80.png

STATS

GOALS

Akwasi Ageyi - 3

Ngatuaine Ngere - 2

Paul Luiz van Eijk - 2

4 players - 1

ASSISTS

Akwasi Ageyi - 4

Ngatuaine Ngere - 2

Terry Piri - 2

3 players - 1

INTERNATIONAL APPEARNACES

SENIOR

COOK ISLANDS Taku Samuel

SAMOA Lionel Taylor

SOLOMON ISLANDS Akwasi Ageyi

U21

COOK ISLANDS Tautu Manuarii

SAMOA Joe Iafeta

NOVEMBER & DECEMBER 2012

RESULTS

November_Results.png

REPORTS

09.11 Tupapa 0-1 Titikaveka

The result does not reflect the impressive attacking displays from our team. We out shot the visitors 18 to 1, they had 1 shot on goal and they scored it. We ebbed and flowed beautifully, swift passing splitting the defence but we just could not hit the back of the net. And then Koutu Tua scores for Titikaveka in the 88th minute. It's impossible to win the league now, so we're just going to have to do our best, and hopefully score a goal.

Att: 120

14.11 Matavera 1-1 Tupapa

Again, we trip ourselves up. Taku Samuel gives us the lead in the 31st minute with a nicely taken effort, but complacency sets in and Junior Lupena wipes the smile of our faces with a soft goal in the 93rd minute. Major changes need to be made during the window.

Att: 119

07.12 Tupapa 1-1 Arorangi

Biggest attendance yet, but still can't even win for the fans.

Att: 235

TABLE

STATS

GOALS

Akwasi Ageyi - 3

Ngatuaine Ngere - 2

Paul Luiz van Eijk - 2

5 players - 1

ASSISTS

Akwasi Ageyi - 4

David Maggie - 2

Ngatuaine Ngere - 2

Terry Piri - 2

3 players - 1

SENIOR

Cook Islands - Tyson Tekeu, Mark Vulcher, Sheik Shah, Paul Luiz van Eijk, Ben Marsters

Solomon Islands - Akwasi Ageyi

U21

Cook Islands - Tereapii Teao, Grant Taylor, Javon Nicholas, Teavae Kare, Ta Nooroa, Joshua Kare, Tautu Manuarii, Tuka Piri

Samoa - Joe Iafeta

FINAL RESULTS

16t1g2.png

Ouch, that is a poor run of form considering the short leagues in Oceania!

Need to get back to your winning ways early next season

Five points in the last eight games, far from ideal, and quite painful to see after a nice run of games early in the season. Some good news about to come up, though.

UNDER 20's

RESULTS

2012_U20_Results.png

TABLE

2012_U20_Table.png

A very good showing from the youngsters who managed to score in 11 of their 12 games, and the one they didn't score in they lost. A few players managed to break the first team throughout the season, and some I will be looking to bleed in to the team, Tennessee English and Christian Henry in particular.

PRE-SEASON 2013

TRANSFERS

IN (25)

01.01 Chris Niyonsaba (D) - Free Transfer (New Zealand)

01.01 Koutu Priest (G) - Takuvaine

01.01 Andrew Taylor (F) - Nikao

01.01 Anonga Wearing (D) - Matavera

07.01 Mariri Purea (D) - Nikao

08.01 Poka Pauka (M) - Takuvaine

08.01 Tokoa Nikoro (D) - Takuvaine

08.01 Rob MacKenzie (D) - Takuvaine

09.01 Maara Kaukura (D) - Arorangi

21.01 Anthony Parakoti (F) - Takuvaine

27.01 Mark Tare (M) - Avatiu

04.03 Damien Heather (M) - Avatiu

07.03 Tukatara Tangapiri (G) - Takuvaine

16.05 Ricardo Tou (D) - Avatiu

19.05 Ross Keown-Robson (G) - Free Transfer (New Zealand)

30.05 Simon Lauru (M) - Atsal (Vanuatu)

30.05 Lexa Bibi (D) - Amical (Vanuatu)

31.05 Hank Sarginson (M) - Arorangi

01.06 David Nicholls Jr (M) - Arorangi

01.06 Carlos Matepi (M) - Arorangi

01.06 Robert Tuaati (M) - Arorangi

01.06 Tokoa Tauraa (M) - Arorangi

12.06 Timote Moleni (F) - Veitongo (Tonga)

02.07 Ngatuaine Manu (D) - Titikaveka

03.07 James Ngametua (D) - Titikaveka

OUT (21)

10.01 Shunia Herman (M) - Nikao

16.01 Ta Nooroa (F) - Matavera

20.01 Grant Taylor (D) - Titikaveka

24.01 Ben Marsters (D) - Avatiu

25.01 Taku Samuel (M) - Matavera

05.02 Tautu Manuarii (M) - Arorangi

09.02 Mark Vulcher (D) - Matavera

12.02 Teavae Kare (M) - Matavera

18.02 Sandy Pomat (F) - Free Transfer

20.02 Paul Luiz van Eijk (F) - Matavera

13.03 Javon Nicholas (M) - Takuvaine

26.03 Ngatuaine Ngere (M) - Avatiu

04.04 James Nand (M) - Free Transfer

15.04 Apo Dyer (D) - Retired

15.04 Raymond Newnham (M) - Retired

18.04 Grant Cooper (D) - Retired

06.05 Vaivase Samania (M) - Avatiu

20.05 Tennessee English (M) - Nikao

29.05 Michael Varney (M) - Arorangi

29.06 Rob MacKenzie (D) - Titikaveka

30.06 Maara Kaukura (D) - Arorangi

AUGUST 2013

RESULTS

August_Results.png

REPORTS

10.08 Tupapa 1-1 Tupapa U20 (Friendly)

Not a brilliant result against our youth, but it was more to do with seeing how the team would play rather than winning [excuse]. Goals from Poka Pauka for the first team, and Christian Henry for the youth.

17.08 Matavera 1-3 Tupapa (League)

Ready for the new campaign, looking to finish in the top 3 this season, and it goes swimmingly well when Matavera open the scoring in the 2nd minute. Conrad Piri finds himself in acres of space as the ball breaks through behind our back four, and he tucks it nicely in to the bottom left. But it doesn't take long as Ngatuaine Mani scores out first goal of the season with a sweet header from a corner. Tonga international Timote Moleni puts us ahead on the stroke of half time, and Akwasi Ageyi nets the final goal with a cross from Simon Lauru. This was a beautiful way to start the season.

MoM: Ngatuaine Mani - 8.0 (Tupapa)

Att: 146

23.08 Tupapa 3-1 Avatiu (League)

Another comfortable victory. Ngatuaine Mani scores first again, pouncing on a rebound from a corner. Jeremy Robertson equalises for Avatiu on the 30 minute mark but again, we score right on half-time, this time Lexi Bibi heading in an Akwasi Ageyi corner. Timote Moleni secured the points just after the break, not sure whether he meant it as he just stumbles in to the ball but it's his goal nonetheless.

MoM: Lexi Bibi - 8.9 (Tupapa)

Att: 149

30.08 Arorangi 1-2 Tupapa (League)

It may only be the 3rd game of the season but this one is key. Arorangi are a much improved side and could well challenge for the title, so victory over them will be a good confidence boost for me at least. Timote Moleni is starting to turn in to quite the goal machine, he scores in the 5th minute with a wonderfully crafted shot in to the top corner and then one after half-time from the edge of the area. Tokari Nooroa scores not long after but we hold on for maximum points, and almost make it 3 through Simon Lauru but he was caught offside.

MoM: Timote Moleni - 8.8 (Tupapa)

Att: 119

TABLE

August_Table.png

STATS

GOALS

Timote Moleni - 4

Ngatuaine Manu - 2

Akwasi Ageyi - 1

Lexa Bibi - 1

ASSISTS

Damien Heather - 2

Akwasi Ageyi - 1

Lexa Bibi - 1

Simon Lauru - 1

Tokoa Nikoro - 1

Poka Pauka - 1

SENIOR

Vanuatu - Simon Lauru

U21

Cook Islands - Mariri Purea, Tuka Piri, Christian Henry, Joshua Kare

SEPTEMBER 2013

RESULTS

September_Results.png

REPORTS

04.09 Tupapa 4-1 Takuvaine (League)

We welcome the title holders to Victoria Park in another must win game. It all goes to plan from the off as Akwasi Ageyi scores 3 minutes in with a superb header from an equally impressive cross from Sheik Shah. A few moments after, centre-mid Carlos Matepi makes it 2 with a 25-yard strike, and then the breasts go up. Lionel Taylor gets sent off for a dangerous tackle (which I don't believe it was), and we're down to 10 men in the 12th minute. Takuvaine come back in to the game with a header from Koutu Tua and it looks like a comeback is on the cards. We go in at the break in the lead and come out with our heads up as substitute Patrick Ngametua volleys in a corner and then full back Tokoa Nikoro scores our 4th in the 97th minute with another volley from a corner. One concern we have is top scorer Timote Moleni went off injured in the 57th minute, he will be out for up to 5 weeks.

MoM: Bim Kiriau 8.2 (Tupapa)

Att: 154

09.09 Nikao 2-3 Tupapa (Cup)

We venture in to the cup as we visit Nikao for a quarter-final tie. We've met Nikao in the cup every year and each time they manage to knock us out with relative ease. It all started well, with Mariri Purea scoring our first at 7 minutes and Akwasi Ageyi getting the 2nd in the 9th minute with a sweet strike. Samoan youngster Joe Iafeta scores our 3rd and final in the 14th minute, expertly struck from the edge of the box in to the top corner, leaving our former keeper Logesh Chandra no chance. Nikao score 2 in the second half through James Charlie and a Francis Tamangaro penalty, but we win, we advance, we finally beat Nikao in 'their' competition. Eat that, you yellow-bellied ponces.

MoM: Joe Iafeta 8.3 (Tupapa)

Att: 109

14.09 Titikaveka 1-0 Tupapa (League)

Today, we were a team who just did not want to work, who did not care, who thought they had in the bag before they even arrived. I wish there was a "You're a worthless pile of crap and your wife wants to leave you but is too worried to say anything in case you kill yourself because no one else could ever love you" team talk because I would use it, I'd use it a lot. Andreas Tamangaro scored their goal on the stroke of half time, and to be fair they should have had more after hitting the wood work twice.

MoM: Andreas Tamangaro 7.4 (Titikaveka)

Att: 113

20.09 Tupapa 3-3 Nikao (League)

A game of two halves, Lexa Bibi scores a brace of 2 headed goals for us before Francis Tamangaro nabs one for 'them'. Christian Henry scores a pearl of a goal before Teina Savage makes it 3-2 before half time. Just after half time, Herman Muraai levels the score, much to my frustration. We have 2 goals ruled out for offside in the second half, one of which I don't believe was, and then Joshua Kare missed a one-on-one right at the end to seal the points. Instead, we leave with just one.

MoM: Lexa Bibi 9.2 (Tupapa)

Att: 164

TABLE

September_Table.png

STATS

GOALS

Timote Moleni - 4

Akwasi Ageyi - 3

Lexa Bibi - 3

Ngatuaine Mani - 2

6 players - 1

ASSISTS

Poka Pauka - 5

Akwasi Ageyi - 3

Damien Heather - 2

Timote Moleni - 2

5 players - 1

U21

Cook Islands - Mariri Purea, Tuka Piri, Teariki Ngatoko, Arve Best, Joshua Kare, Christian Henry

Controversy?

This came up after we beat Nikao in the Quarter's.

Cup_Prediction.png

The interesting bit here is the last line: "Tupapa have now been knocked out at the Cook Islands National Cup Semi Final on the last two occasions."

Here is my record in the cup:

2011 - Final: Tupapa 1-2 Nikao

2012 - Semi Final: Tupapa 1-3e Nikao

I've only been knocked out at the Semi's once, is the game predicting I'll be knocked out again? Is this already programmed? Is FM going to make me play crap in the lead up to the cup game? I already lost to Titikaveka and drew to Nikao (which isn't too bad), but I've yet to play Matavera in the league before I play them again in the cup after. I just find this a little strange...

OCTOBER 2013

RESULTS

October_Results.png

REPORTS

04.10 Tupapa 1-1 Matavera (League)

As suspected, that weird message in my inbox saying we had been knocked out of the cup before the game even took place triggered me to believe the game would make me mysteriously dip in form, and I now haven't won in 3 games despite a solid start to the season. Things looked promising though when Timote Moleni scored a 1-on-1 to put us in front, but as per usual to our brilliant fortune tellers that is the FM game machine, we lose out on all 3 points thanks to an equaliser from Clive Nicholas.

MoM: Clive Nicholas 7.3 (Matavera)

Att: 144

07.10 Tupapa 0-0p Matavera (Cup Semi Final)

And as predicted, we're knocked out of the cup, despite a very dominant performance from us, we lose on the "lottery" that is penalties. I feel very very agrieved, unhappy, disappointed and a little disheartened to continue. How can my team go from 5 comfortable wins on the trot to no wins in 4? This doesn't make sense.

MoM: Hank Spijkerman 7.5 (Matavera)

Att: 105

18.10 Avatiu 1-3 Tupapa (League)

This is more like it, winning at half time, all 3 points and the obligatory goal conceded. Both my star foreign strikers net a goal each, Timote Moleni slotting home easy and Akwasi Ageyi getting on the end of a Simon Lauru cross. Lexa Bibi makes it 3 with a header before Benjamin Maaka scores a last minute penalty for the hosts.

MoM: Simon Lauru 8.7 (Tupapa)

Att: 117

25.10 Tupapa 1-0 Arorangi (League)

Again, we had to beat Arorangi as they were breathing down our necks. Lexa Bibi made sure we went 4 points clear at the top with a header on the corner. This guy is a machine on set pieces! Could be the league's top scorer with just his head.

MoM: Lexa Bibi 8.0 (Tupapa)

Att: 169

TABLE

October_Table.png

STATS

GOALS

Timote Moleni - 6

Lexa Bibi - 5

Akwasi Ageyi - 4

Ngatuaine Mani - 2

5 players - 1

ASSISTS

Poka Pauka - 6

Akwasi Ageyi - 4

Damien Heather - 2

Timote Moleni - 2

2 players - 2

U21

Cook Islands - Joshua Kare, Tuka Piri, Christian Henry, Arve Best

NOVEMBER 2013

RESULTS

November_Results-1.png

REPORTS

08.11 Takuvaine 2-0 Tupapa (League)

Now, we can claim the title back in this game if we win and Arorangi lose against Matavera, so it's all a little nerve-racking! But, we fail to beat Takuvaine, the team who have been stuck to the bottom of the table all season. Koutu Tua and Tennessee Purea both score headers from set-pieces as my defence stand idle. What is, somehow, a little disheartening is Arorangi did lose and if only we put our heads down and work rather than daydreaming about lifting that trophy again, we may have just clinched it. But still, we're 4 points clear with 2 games to play.

MoM: Koutu Tua 7.5 (Takuvaine)

Att: 104

13.11 Tupapa 0-1 Titikaveka (League)

So we couldn't even win at home against another poor team. The team is playing without any confidence whatsoever, and no matter how much I tweak the tactics, they just can't do the task at hand. Even getting a shot on target is too much to ask it seems. Noel Akava scored their goal early on, and we made one single attack in the second half, now Titikaveka are 2 points behind us with a game in hand.

MoM: Rob MacKenzie 7.6 (Titikaveka)

Att: 164

29.11 Nikao 1-1 Tupapa (League)

It really is a disappointing end to the season. All the other teams have a game to play too. We let in an early goal from Maru Ngatama in the 3rd minute and spend the rest of the game just trying to claw ourselves back in to the game. We grab one back, Lexa Bibi with a header but get a man sent off in the 80th minute, Mariri Purea receives a second yellow, and we can't do anymore than that. Us and Titikaveka are joint top, level on goal difference too but we've scored more. All I can hope is that they lose to bottom of the table Avatiu, but I don't think there's a chance in hell of that happening, hell isn't a lucky place, just warm.

MoM: Lexa Bibi 8.1 (Tupapa)

Att: 141

However, on the 6th of December, Avatiu fail to beat Titikaveka. They did well and held them to a respectable 2-2 from their perspective, but it wasn't enough for us and they claim the title with an extra point over us. One trend I have noticed, the last 2 winners, Takuvaine and Titikaveka, both finished rock bottom the season before. Let's see if Avatiu win it next season.

TABLE

November_Table.png

STATS

GOALS

Lexa Bibi - 6

Timote Moleni - 6

Akwasi Ageyi - 4

Ngatuaine Mani - 2

6 players - 1

ASSISTS

Poka Pauka - 6

Akwasi Ageyi - 5

Simon Lauru - 3

Damien Heather - 2

Timote Moleni - 2

Tokoa Nikoro - 2

3 players - 1

U21

Cook Islands - Koutu Priest, Mariri Purea, Tuka Piri, Arve Best, Christian Henry

UNDER 20'S

RESULTS

U20_Results.png

TABLE

U20_Table.png

I'm sure we've all heard of Bolton player Ricardo Gardner (currently at Preston on loan) - well, he's now the manager of Nikao.

Nikao_Gardner.png

Also linked with the job was Tomas Rosicky. Soon the league will be full of foreign managers like me, perhaps Tony Adams has his eye on my seat.

TRANSFERS 2014

IN (24)

01.01 Marky Hosea (F) - Free Transfer (Solomon Islands)

15.01 Matthew Ngatoko (D) - Nikao

19.01 Tokari Nooroa (D) - Arorangi

19.01 Andreas Tamangaro (F) - Titikaveka

21.01 Taku Samuel (F) - Arorangi

24.01 Mariri Tereva (D) - Nikao

24.01 Logesh Chandra (G) - Nikao

24.01 Tuka Tisam (M) - Takuvaine

26.01 Matarua Taringa (D) - Matavera

26.01 Eddie Tobia (D) - Avatiu

04.02 Amone Leao (D) - Veitongo (Tonga)

12.02 Francis Tamangaro (F) - Nikao

08.03 Andrew Johnston (D) - Free Transfer (New Zealand)

10.03 Tennessee English (M) - Nikao

15.03 Joshua O'Leary (M) - Free Transfer (New Zealand)

25.04 Teukihakausiu Nafe (F) - Kolofo'ou (Tonga)

20.06 Tukaroa Manuel (M) - Arorangi

22.07 Mariri Purea (D) - Titikaveka

22.07 Martin Samuel (D) - Titikaveka

28.07 Nathan Pomat (M) - Rapatona (Papua New Guinea)

29.07 Vaivase Samania (M) - Avatiu

30.07 Teuhema Talakai (D) - Popua

30.07 Lee Ponini (D) - Matavera

31.07 Noel Akava (F) - Titikaveka

OUT (50)

02.01 37 players - Free Transfer

06.01 Mariri Purea (D) - Titikaveka

18.02 Christian Henry (F) - Avatiu

20.04 7 players - Free Transfer

19.07 Tokari Nooroa (D) - Avatiu

26.07 Taku Samuel (M) - Matavera

28.07 Eddie Tobia (D) - Nikao

31.07 Francis Tamangaro (F) - Titikaveka

Decided to have a huge clearout, only keeping about 8 first team players and any players aged 18 and under. Quite a fair chunk of the players coming in are youngsters too. In hindsight, I probably should have kept goalkeeper Tyson Tekeu, but I brought in an old keeper of ours Logesh Chandra who was key to our title win in 2011, and for back-up I have Willie Bera, a 20-year old from Papua New Guinea who has been starting most of the U20 games for the past 3 seasons.

I'm becoming incredibly disheartened and have a lack of passion to bother with this game at the moment, it doesn't go by stats, it just simply creates a random story and it really irritates me that I've spent ages and ages scouting players, and I have a team better than the others, but my team simply doesn't perform and yet every shot the opposition have, no matter who they are, seems to hit target.

It's like being accused of not caring when in truth, you're obsessed and it's all you can think about.

• 1 month later...

I've decided to put my hissy fit behind me and crack on with this save. I didn't have the best of starts to the 2014 season, not winning a game until my 8th fixture.

LEAGUE

16.08 Arorangi 1-0 Tupapa (L)

22.08 Tupapa 2-2 Avatiu (D) - Poka Pauka, Akwasi Ageyi

29.08 Takuvaine 2-1 Tupapa (L) - Teuhema Talakai

03.09 Tupapa 1-1 Matavera (D) - Joe Iafeta

13.09 Titikaveka 2-0 Tupapa (L)

19.09 Tupapa 0-0 Nikao (D)

03.10 Avatiu 1-1 Tupapa (D) - Andreas Tamangaro

17.10 Tupapa 5-1 Arorangi (W) - Timote Moleni (3), Joe Iafeta, Teukihakausiu Nafe

24.10 Tupapa 2-0 Takuvaine (W) - Teuhema Talakai, Joe Haupini o.g.

07.11 Matavera 0-2 Tupapa (W) - Akwasi Ageyi, Teuhema Talakai

12.11 Tupapa 1-1 Titikaveka (D) - Remy Wearing o.g.

28.11 Nikao 1-2 Tupapa (W) - Akwasi Ageyi, Arve Best

CUP

Cup.png

TABLE

League.png

GOALS

Akwasi Ageyi - 3

Timote Moleni - 3

Teuhema Talakai - 3

Joe Iafeta - 2

Arve Best - 1

Teukahakausiu Nafe - 1

Poka Pauka - 1

Andreas Tamangaro - 1

ASSISTS

Joe Iafeta - 3

Akwasi Ageyi - 2

Simon Lauru - 2

Timote Moleni - 2

Teuhema Talakai - 2

Andreas Tamangaro - 2

Tokoa Nikoro - 1

Chris Niyonsaba - 1

MOTM

Teuhema Talakai - 2

Andreas Tamangaro - 2

Akwasi Ageyi - 1

Joe Iafeta - 1

Timote Moleni - 1

Best of luck.

Transfer embargo till 3000 for all teams would be good as well. ;) Since they aren't proffesional teams and they aren't supposed to became so they won't spend money on transfers then we could have no transfers at all.

Archived