Any Laptop Players ?

I would buy that, but i want to pay it up monthly so It has to be PC world.

This here looks good:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/acer-aspire-5750-15-6-laptop-11318181-pdt.html

Intel Core i5-2430M Processor

- 2.4GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3GHz

6GB RAM

750GB HDD

Intel HD3000 Graphics Card, is this good or bad ?

Only 500 pound

There is only 2 IMO on www.PCworld.co.uk and the first could possibly be the better 1 but has half the memory of the other 1, but is more for games than the 8GB.

4GB DDR3 Ram - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv6-6176sa-15-6-laptop-steel-grey-10783799-pdt.html

The 4GB laptop has only 1 downfall when it comes to comparing it to the laptop below, and thats just because the other has 8GB RAM, but other than that, this laptop is far superior and isn't much more in cost either. It's screen, sound and finger print reader make up most of the money.

8GB DDR3 Ram - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo-ideapad-z570-15-6-laptop-gun-metal-11306307-pdt.html

If your not bothered about the screen and being able to watch videos and listen music in with stunning specs, then this is the laptop you want. FM doesn't require stunning sound, you dont require a finger print reader and the you only need to be able to see FM to play it.

To be honest though, you don't even need 4GB RAM, so the first 1 is more than sufficient Ram wise and i would personally get that 1.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is only 2 IMO on www.PCworld.co.uk and the first could possibly be the better 1 but has half the memory of the other 1, but is more for games than the 8GB.

4GB DDR3 Ram - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv6-6176sa-15-6-laptop-steel-grey-10783799-pdt.html

The 4GB laptop has only 1 downfall when it comes to comparing it to the laptop below, and thats just because the other has 8GB RAM, but other than that, this laptop is far superior and isn't much more in cost either. It's screen, sound and finger print reader make up most of the money.

8GB DDR3 Ram - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo-ideapad-z570-15-6-laptop-gun-metal-11306307-pdt.html

If your not bothered about the screen and being able to watch videos and listen music in with stunning specs, then this is the laptop you want. FM doesn't require stunning sound, you dont require a finger print reader and the you only need to be able to see FM to play it.

To be honest though, you don't even need 4GB RAM, so the first 1 is more than sufficient Ram wise and i would personally get that 1.

The processors arent that great on them two though are they ? I thought I should be looking for i5 and i7?

Are there any other pay monthly websites you know of ? Then I wouldnt be limited to pc world?

The processors arent that great on them two though are they ? I thought I should be looking for i5 and i7?

Are there any other pay monthly websites you know of ? Then I wouldnt be limited to pc world?

I'm using a Intel Core 2 Duo Processor (old school) 2.2 GHz and I can load 105k players and 9 Nations and run smoothly, I haven't tried anything higher than that.

So basically, it doesnt matter if it's i3, because i3 is way better than duo...

I'm using a Intel Core 2 Duo Processor (old school) 2.2 GHz and I can load 105k players and 9 Nations and run smoothly, I haven't tried anything higher than that.

So basically, it doesnt matter if it's i3, because i3 is way better than duo...

Is there a real difference from i3 to i7 ? How quickly will an i3 run ?

Right, How about this one? Bit pricey at 750 but ...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-vaio-vpcej1z1e-w-17-laptop-white-10683211-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR~~10683211

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Processor with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology

- 2.3 GHz

- 5 GT/s DMI

- 3 MB Cache

- Dual Core

6GB RAM

Graphics card NVIDIA® GeForce® 410M GPU

640GB HDD

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-vaio-vpcej1z1e-w-17-laptop-white-10683211-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR~~10683211

- 2.3 GHz

- 5 GT/s DMI

- 3 MB Cache

- Dual Core

6GB RAM

640GB HDD

There is a big difference between i3 and i7 as far as i know, but as the best i've used is Core Duo, I'm not really a good person to ask. But! You said you wanted a laptop to run FM and i3 is perfectly good enough to do that, especially if my Core Duo can do it!

By the way, that laptop is great :D But above your budget?

haha! I know.

It takes ages to simulate matches and progress, esp internationals! And that is with 3 leagues and large database loaded!!

I just want to know how fast it runs FM before I buy haha. Will i3 be fast enough ? I dont want to buy it and then be dissapointed.

- 2.3 GHz

- 5 GT/s DMI

- 3 MB Cache

- Dual Core

6GB RAM

640GB HDD

The rendering power of the GeForce 410M is similar to the integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000.

However, due to better driver support and the dedicated memory, some games (like Dirt3 and Fifa 11) did run faster in our tests

Not sure how getting a i5 instead of an i7 (i7 is twice as fast) for 120 pounds more than THIS for this little increase in graphic power is good sense.

Not sure how getting a i5 instead of an i7 (i7 is twice as fast) for 120 pounds more than THIS for this little increase in graphic power is good sense.

Good point. The only thing that put me off the Dell was the graphics card.

WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL WITH ONBOARD GRAPHICS CARDS ?

Btw, that processor Intel Core i7-2630QM, is only 2.0ghz, is that not quite bad ?

Btw, that processor Intel Core i7-2630QM, is only 2.0ghz, is that not quite bad ?

Its a quad core. One of the fastest vfm laptop CPUs.

No it's not bad at all, you have to get your head around the difference in Processors before you can figure out that an i7 2.0 GHz is better than an i3 2.6 GHz. There's dual cores and quad cores to take into account too...

That doesnt mean that an i3 2.6GHz is rubbish though!

that is brilliant celtic... and if your never going to want to do anything but fm on it ... it will be the best lappy you can buy for that money..

but if you want to do much more than fm graphically.. i wouldnt..

BUTTTTTTT

dell are a no nonsense company... buy from them direct.. you'll be happy , its all sorted... and they offer finance

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-l502x/pd?oc=n00x5m19&model_id=xps-l502x

the xps there is perfect ... 629 quid gets you everything you need ....

a good i5 processor

a good amount of ram (which can be added to later for as little as 30 quid if needed )

a great dedicated graphics card

good amount of HDD space.

and from a reputable company with insurance etc aswell...

THAT will blow your current system out of the water 100 fold.... ive got and inspiron from dell and its never been anything but perfect.... and i have 6 lappy's at my house. lol

Like?

And yes this laptop is pretty good all round laptop. That 525M can be overclocked really well too.

any card with no dedicated memory is going to suffer when it comes to anything graphically intensive ishu... you know this im sure..

onboard graphics have come a hell of a long way and they are great for home use now... but anything more and the extra little bit of cash needed to get a dedicated card becomes a must

The graphics card in that is pretty poor. Also note the battery life. That's 4 hours, but that's the manufacturer's specs so that will mean when it's set to power saving and not doing much. Basically, it'll spend most of it's life sat on a desk plugged in to the mains.

So you'd be better off getting a desktop, where you'd spend half as much and get 2 to 3 times the performance.

Note the i5-2430M there is Dual Core. In desktops, the i5s are Quad Core, yet the price point is about the same.

The HDD is low capacity, it's got a Blu Ray drive yet doesn't have a 1920 x 1080 screen (so what's the point?).

The graphics card in that is pretty poor. Entry level. Also note the battery life. It says 4 hours. But that's the manufacturers description, which means it'll be 4 hours when it's sat doing nothing on power saver mode. Basically, it'll spend most of its life sat on a desk plugged into the mains.

So you'd be better off getting a desktop, where you'd spend half as much and get 2 - 3 times the performance.

Note that in laptops i5 chips are Dual Core, but desktop models are Quad Core. Also, the HDD is a little on the low side capacity wise, and it has a blu ray drive but nowhere near 1920x1080 display (so what's the point?)

EDIT: When I first responded to that, I was under the impression that it was £800 for some reason.

Also, fwiw Ishu is right about some chips being good for over clocking but honestly, the last thing I would do with a laptop is over clock. They have a hard enough time staying cool as it is, without people starting all that sort of fiddling and tampering.

this is it. going down pc world at 7 to get this am i making a mistaken or is it ok. although i do like celtic 1967s one above. but doesn't have dedicated memory card

Processor Intel Dual Core processor i5-2430M

2.4 Ghz

Cache 3MB L3

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit with Service Pack 1

RAM 6GB

512 MB Video Memory Dedicated

Screen type VAIO Display

Screen resolution 1600 x 900

Screen size 17.3"

Screen features Widescreen

Hard drive 500 GB

Optical disk drive Blu-ray Disc™ ROM Drive with DVD SuperMulti read - CD 24x, CD-R 24x, CD-RW 24x, DVD 8x, DVD-R DL 6x, DVD-R 8x, DVD-RW 6x, DVD+R DL 6x, DVD+R 8x, DVD+RW 6x, DVD-RAM 5x, BD-ROM 4x, BD-R 4x, BD-R DL 2.2x, BD-RE 4x, BD-RE DL 2.2x, write - CD-R 16x, CD-RW 10x, DVD-R DL 4x, DVD-R 8x, DVD-RW 4x, DVD+R DL 4x, DVD+R 8x, DVD+RW 4x, DVD-RAM 5x

Memory card reader Memory Stick Duo x1, SD memory card x1, SD Card Slot - SDHC, SDXC compatible, Not support for copyright protection

USB 4 x 2.0

WiFi IEEE 802.11b/g/n

Bluetooth 3.0

TV output VGA

HDMI

Sound Internal, Stereo speakers, Internal, Monaural microphone

Webcam Yes

640 x 480

Keyboard & Mouse Stroke (mm) 2.0 , Key Pitch (mm) 19.05, numeric keypad , Touch Pad

Touch Pad

Battery 4 hours

Accessories included Ac Adapter - VGP-AC19V31, power cord, documentation pack, VAIO International Repair Service,

Software included VAIO Gate, PMB VAIO Edition, Media Gallery, VAIO Care, VAIO Transfer Support, VAIO Update, VAIO Smart network, Office 2010 preloaded – buy Office 2010 product key for full activation, Windows Live Essentials 2011, Adobe® Reader® 10, McAfee Internet Security 30 day subscription, Remote Keyboard, Remote Play with PlayStation® 3, Internet Explorer® 9.

Size 409.1 x 274 x 32.8

Weight 3.1 kg

Also, fwiw Ishu is right about some chips being good for over clocking but honestly, the last thing I would do with a laptop is over clock. They have a hard enough time staying cool as it is, without people starting all that sort of fiddling and tampering.

GT525M is the same chip as GT550M. Only with slower clocks.

OCing it to 550M's levels wouldn't harm it at all.

honestly .. you'll never get a straight answer in here as they are getting into the hard specifics like HDD capacity and speeds..

the laptop is for everyday use and a bit of fm.....

theres no need for it all..

you've got a hundred suggestions here jetpack.. pick one you like and go with it... any single one of them is going to be lightyears better than your current set up i assure you

i get that wakers fella... but he's not getting any clear message... he's getting one suggestion and then someone saying its wrong and go for this... rinse and repeat..

thats the point with hardware.. everyone has a different opinion

which takes me to the point i made to him.. he has plenty of suggestions.. its up to him to decide what he'd like...

What is a recommended graphics card ? One that can play other games at a high level ( I want to have the opportunity if Im paying 700 odd pound, ya know)

I now know roughly what im looking for:

4GB or more RAM

i5 or i7 processor

Dedicated graphics card, but I dont know what one!

And its also annoying as I cant seem to find one laptop with all of these things!

plenty of laptops been suggested on this very thread with those specs fella...

simply put .. theres a wide gap between the different types of i5's you can get .. from entry level i5's to top of the range i5's ... what you have to ask yourself is if you want to spend some time learning about it and making an informed decision or whether you want to take a suggestion from here.. if its the second one, you have tons of choices in this thread...

Ok, I might do as told and go by Dell direct.

DELL Inspiron 15R

Processor 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM (2.20 Ghz, 6MB, 4C)

Memory1 4GB1 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

Hard Drive 750GB2 SATA hard drive (5400RPM)

Video Card 1 GB nVidia GeForce GT 525M (Quad Core)

680 pound, are we on to a winner ?

Ok, I might do as told and go by Dell direct.

DELL Inspiron 15R

Processor 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM (2.20 Ghz, 6MB, 4C)

Memory1 4GB1 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

Hard Drive 750GB2 SATA hard drive (5400RPM)

Video Card 1 GB nVidia GeForce GT 525M (Quad Core)

680 pound, are we on to a winner ?

Yes I would say so.

That's not bad for the money. I wouldn't splash out on an i7 personally because you see limited difference between them and the high end i5s in most applications - but if you have the cash go for it.

I'm not sure why they say the graphics card is "quad core" though :D

Someone asked the difference in the processors

Below are the Sandybridge technology (the latest Processor, sandybridge is a codename)

- ignore other numbers as they are of the older processor model, for example 640 or 610 or 430

The faster the processor generally the more expensive the computer.

Desktop Processors

LOW RANGE

Core i3 followed by

2130=3.4 GHz

2125=3.3 GHz

2120=3.3 ghz

2105=3.1 GHz

2102=3.1 ghz

2100=3.1ghz

2120T=2.6 GHz

2100T=2.5 GHz

MID RANGE

Core i5 followed by

2500K=3.3 GHz

2500=3.3ghz

2500S=2.7 GHz

2500T=2.3 GHz

2400=3.1 GHz

2405S=2.5 GHz

2400S=2.5 GHz

2320=3.0 GHz

2310=2.9 GHz

2300=2.8 GHz

2390T=2.7 GHz

HIGH END

Core i7 followed by

3930K=3.2 GHz

3820=3.6 GHz

2700K=3.5 GHz

2600K =3.4 GHz

2600=3.4 GHz

2600S=2.8 GHz

Core i7 extreme followed by - this model is very expensive, even though it has the same processor speed as the i5-2500 it's way better.

3960X=3.3 GHz

Laptop Processors

LOW RANGE

Core i3 followed by

2310M=2.1 GHz

2312M=2.1 GHz

2330M=2.2 GHz

2332M=2.2 GHz

2357M =1.3 GHz

MID RANGE

Core i5 followed by

2410M=2.3 GHz

2415M=2.3 GHz

2430M=2.4 GHz

2435M =2.4 GHz

2520M=2.5 GHz

2540M=2.6 GHz

HIGH END

Core i7 followed by

2620M=2.7 GHz

2640M=2.8 GHz

2629M=2.1 GHz

2649M=2.3 GHz

Guidelines in looking at a processor! - It's not just the processor speed that makes the computer run faster. Look for:

• "Graphic Clock Rate" the faster the better.
  • L3 Cache - the higher the better
  • (check the RAM speed) Supported memory - only the i7 3820 and up support the DDR3 1600
  • For everything else it should be DD3 1333

• Check the release date - the later the release the more likely it is to be better.
  • CORES Check the Amount of CORES. The more the better - generally

Comparing Processors

If you Google the model number and go to the Intel webite on the first hit on Google. You'll be brought to this website

http://ark.intel.com/products/52231/Intel-Core-i7-2620M-Processor-%284M-Cache-2_70-GHz%29

You can add the processor to a Compare List

Google another processor model - add that to the Compare List

Compare as many models as you like.

Follow the guidelines above.

Other things to look for in your computer

What operating system?

Most new computers come with Windows 7. Is it 32 Bit or 64 bit? What does that mean? Well it's a bit technical. But basically Windows 64 BIT handles large chunk of Memory (RAM) more effectively.

How does that affect my decision making?

32 BIT - Can handle up to and no more than 4GB ram (memory).

64 BIT - Can handle a heck of a lot more than 4GB ram (memory).

Why do I need RAM?

RAM is what is used as memory in the computer. You need it to load up more programs. The more programs you have running, the more RAM is being used. If you run low on RAM the computer tries to divide up the tasks. If you don't have enough RAM you will notice a slow down in the way you change between programs and their response times.

The more RAM you have the more you can multi-task. 4GB RAM is plenty. You should be able to run FM12, EMAIL, INternet, Steam running (as required), play music etc.

But with 64 BIT system it will handle large amounts of RAM better! So why not get it! 6GB RAM would be LOADS. 8GB is more than LOADS. And some even go to 16GB of RAM. But unless you're doing a lot of heavy industrial programs like used in video editing or editing large images - then 6GB RAM will be plenty for you on a 64 BIT system

Graphics Card

You NEED one for FM 12 especially if you want to play FM 12.

The minimum recommended amount of Graphics Card RAM is 128mb.

Be sure to compare your graphics card and read reviews before you decide!

What else do I need to know?

You need to know your BUDGET! First filter all the searches by the amount you're willing to SPEND. If you have £500 and you think you can stretch to £600 then do it make that your criteria. After all if you limit a search by £500 and a better computer model is available for £550 - then you won't even see it in the search.

Hope that clears things up.

It's a very loose and rough guide.

Someone asked the difference in the processors

Below are the Sandybridge technology (the latest Processor, sandybridge is a codename)

- ignore other numbers as they are of the older processor model, for example 640 or 610 or 430

The faster the processor generally the more expensive the computer.

Desktop Processors

LOW RANGE

Core i3 followed by

2130=3.4 GHz

2125=3.3 GHz

2120=3.3 ghz

2105=3.1 GHz

2102=3.1 ghz

2100=3.1ghz

2120T=2.6 GHz

2100T=2.5 GHz

MID RANGE

Core i5 followed by

2500K=3.3 GHz

2500=3.3ghz

2500S=2.7 GHz

2500T=2.3 GHz

2400=3.1 GHz

2405S=2.5 GHz

2400S=2.5 GHz

2320=3.0 GHz

2310=2.9 GHz

2300=2.8 GHz

2390T=2.7 GHz

HIGH END

Core i7 followed by

3930K=3.2 GHz

3820=3.6 GHz

2700K=3.5 GHz

2600K =3.4 GHz

2600=3.4 GHz

2600S=2.8 GHz

Core i7 extreme followed by - this model is very expensive, even though it has the same processor speed as the i5-2500 it's way better.

3960X=3.3 GHz

Laptop Processors

LOW RANGE

Core i3 followed by

2310M=2.1 GHz

2312M=2.1 GHz

2330M=2.2 GHz

2332M=2.2 GHz

2357M =1.3 GHz

MID RANGE

Core i5 followed by

2410M=2.3 GHz

2415M=2.3 GHz

2430M=2.4 GHz

2435M =2.4 GHz

2520M=2.5 GHz

2540M=2.6 GHz

HIGH END

Core i7 followed by

2620M=2.7 GHz

2640M=2.8 GHz

2629M=2.1 GHz

2649M=2.3 GHz

Guidelines in looking at a processor! - It's not just the processor speed that makes the computer run faster. Look for:

• "Graphic Clock Rate" the faster the better.
  • L3 Cache - the higher the better
  • (check the RAM speed) Supported memory - only the i7 3820 and up support the DDR3 1600
  • For everything else it should be DD3 1333

• Check the release date - the later the release the more likely it is to be better.
  • CORES Check the Amount of CORES. The more the better - generally

Comparing Processors

If you Google the model number and go to the Intel webite on the first hit on Google. You'll be brought to this website

http://ark.intel.com/products/52231/Intel-Core-i7-2620M-Processor-%284M-Cache-2_70-GHz%29

You can add the processor to a Compare List

Google another processor model - add that to the Compare List

Compare as many models as you like.

Follow the guidelines above.

Other things to look for in your computer

What operating system?

Most new computers come with Windows 7. Is it 32 Bit or 64 bit? What does that mean? Well it's a bit technical. But basically Windows 64 BIT handles large chunk of Memory (RAM) more effectively.

How does that affect my decision making?

32 BIT - Can handle up to and no more than 4GB ram (memory).

64 BIT - Can handle a heck of a lot more than 4GB ram (memory).

Why do I need RAM?

RAM is what is used as memory in the computer. You need it to load up more programs. The more programs you have running, the more RAM is being used. If you run low on RAM the computer tries to divide up the tasks. If you don't have enough RAM you will notice a slow down in the way you change between programs and their response times.

The more RAM you have the more you can multi-task. 4GB RAM is plenty. You should be able to run FM12, EMAIL, INternet, Steam running (as required), play music etc.

But with 64 BIT system it will handle large amounts of RAM better! So why not get it! 6GB RAM would be LOADS. 8GB is more than LOADS. And some even go to 16GB of RAM. But unless you're doing a lot of heavy industrial programs like used in video editing or editing large images - then 6GB RAM will be plenty for you on a 64 BIT system

Graphics Card

You NEED one for FM 12 especially if you want to play FM 12.

The minimum recommended amount of Graphics Card RAM is 128mb.

Be sure to compare your graphics card and read reviews before you decide!

What else do I need to know?

You need to know your BUDGET! First filter all the searches by the amount you're willing to SPEND. If you have £500 and you think you can stretch to £600 then do it make that your criteria. After all if you limit a search by £500 and a better computer model is available for £550 - then you won't even see it in the search.

Hope that clears things up.

It's a very loose and rough guide.

Just as they would say if you was looking at a top computer, this guide is top of the range! I don't think this thread needs anymore replies, because this guide clears everything up :D

Cheers Eugene, using that website now, and also didnt know about the difference in 32 and 64 bit operating systems.

Still think I am going to go with the DELL though, seems to have everything and only 79 pound over my budget so I am happy with that.

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=n00q1537&c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&model_id=inspiron-15r-n5110

Anyone pick any bad points about this choice that I may not have noticed ?

Love playing on my Macbook :)

2.2ghz intel core i7

8gb 1333 MHz DDR3

Nice 'n fast with FM12, though slightly over your budget (and pretty overpriced I'd say)... I was lucky to get it from work

Yeah, Mac's are more about visual looks rather than power aren't they? In respect to power, they are way overpriced, but visually worth it?

Archived