[FM12] Plymouth Argyle - Can you spare any change?...

Gebadire

For those of you looking for a challenge…

Welcome to Plymouth Argyle

Plymouth_Argyle_2011_crest.png

Club Background

Founded in 1886, Plymouth Argyle are a professional English club currently playing in the Npower Football League 2 following successive relegations. The club play their home games at Home Park and posses good training facilities and an average youth setup. The club is affectionately known as The Pilgrims and retains a fierce rivalry with Exeter City.

Since becoming professional in 1903, the club has won five Football League titles, five Southern League titles and one Western League title. The 2009–10 season was the club's 42nd in the second tier of English football. The team holds the record for most championships won in the third tier, having finished first in the Third Division South twice, the Third Division once and the Second Division once.

Club Information

Nation: England

Year Founded: 1886

Chairmen Status: Will listen to offers

Legends: Paul Wotton, Micky Evans, Paul Sturrock, Romain Larrieu

Icons: David Friio, Tommy Tynan, Paul Mariner, Billy Rafferty, Graham Coughlan, Kevin Hodges, Lee Hodges, Neil Warrnock, David Norris, Carl Fletcher, Jason Bent, Lilian Nalis, Peter Reid, Marino Keith, Akos Buzsaky, Barry Hayles, Peter Halmosi

Favoured Personnel: David Kemp, Mick Heathcote, Paul Dalton, Dan Gosling, Kevin Summerfield, Sean McCarthy

Fierce Rivals: Exeter, Bristol City

Other Rivals: Cardiff

Finances: In Debt

Average Ticket Price: £21.00

Average Season Ticket Price: £340

Season Ticket Holders: 3,500

Estimated Value: £2.7 (Loan Debt: £9.5m)

Continental Competition: None

Media Prediction: 14th

Squad Personality: Determined

Captain: Carl Fletcher

Vice-Captain:

Kits

399145287.jpg

The Squad

Romain Larrieu GK

Jake Cole GK

Jordan Pearce D (RLC)

James Bradley D (RC)

Curtis Nelson D (RC), M ©

Jamie Richards D (LC)

Ladji Soukouna D ©

Durrell Berry D/WB ®, ST

Robbie Williams D/WB/M (L)

Onismor Bhasera D/WB/M/AM (L)

Jordan Copp DM, M (LC), AM ©

Carl Fletcher DM, M ©

Simon Walton DM, M ©

Conor Hourihane M ©

Will Atkinson M/AM (RL)

Jed Harper-Penman M/AM (RL)

Luke Daley M/AM ®, ST

Luke Young M/AM ©

Matt Lecointe M/AM ©, ST

Isaac Vassell AM (RL), ST

Jared Sims AM ©, ST

Warren Feeney ST

Finances

Transfer Budget (Season): £0

Transfer Budget (Remaining): £0

% of transfer revenue made available: 0%

Sponsors: 1 Year main kit sponsorship deal at £75k per season. Ends 2012.

1 year additional kit sponsorship deal at £50k per season. Ends 2012.

Loans Outstanding: Bank Loan of £2.2m (£20k/per month until 31.12.2012)

Loan of £1.6m (Repayable on promotion to top division)

Bank Loan of £100k (£1.7k/per month until 31.12.2015)

Supporters’ Trust Loan of £325k (£5.75k/per month until 31.12.2015)

Loan of £300k (Repayable on promotion to top division)

Gift Loan of £3.1m (Repayable on departure of Chairman)

Gift Loan of £1.5m (Repayable on departure of Chairman)

Club Balance: (£2,493,601)

Stadium & Facilities

Plymouth-Argyle-Home-Park-General-View_2387045.jpg

Name: Home Park

Capacity: 16388 all-seater

Year Built: 1903

Owned By: Plymouth

Stadium Condition: Poor

Under Soil Heating: No

Roof: No

Surface: Grass

Pitch Dimensions: Length: 102m, Width: 65m

Maximum Pitch Dimensions: Length: 107, Width: 71m

Pitch Condition: Good

Corporate Facilities: Average corporate facilities

Training Facilities: Good training facilities

Youth Facilities: Adequate youth facilities

Youth Coaching: Adequate youth coaching

Youth Recruitment: Above average youth recruitment

Staff

Chairman: Peter Ridsdale

Manager: You

Asst Mgr: Cole Welch

Player/Coach: Carl Fletcher

Gk Coach: David Johnson

Fitness Coach: Scott Russell

Youth Coach: Kevin Nancekivell

Youth Coach: Gordon Bennett

Youth Coach: Kevin Hodges

Youth Coach: Allan Evans

Physio: Paul Atkinson

Physio: Tom Hunter

Scout: Bob Shaw

Scout: John Jame

With all but non-existent finances, no transfer budget and a depleted squad, can you stop Plymouth’s downfall?...

Let us know how you get on!...

Paul

Ive been waiting for somebody to do this!

Ive startedas Plymouth, its great!

Firstly, reduced Fletchers, Waltons and Larrieus wages considerably, which brings the wage budget down.

Manage to bring in Pablo Counago ona free and Gavin Massey from Watford.

As have I, but got tired of waiting for someone else to set it up and figured I'd do it myself!...

I started by re-negotiate the contracts of my players as well, reducing the wages of the three most expensive players by roughly 70%, giving a drop in my weekly wage outlay of around £7k!

In terms of transfers, you start the game with no budget, so the players I got in were on loan or on a free to start with; however, once I had re-negotiated the contracts, I used some of the spare cash in my weekly budget to give me a small transfer fee, which I used to buy one player and pay a loan fee for another. In terms of loans I've gotten in:

Jacob Walcott (AMC) on loan from Reading

Steve Cook on loan from Brighton

Chex Isaac on loan from Watford

Jake Reeves on loan from Brentford and

Nathan Cameron on loan from Coventry

With the following in permanently:

Stern John on a free

Damilola Ajagbe on a free

Omar Koroma on a free

Jamil Adam on a free

Damian Casalinuovo on a free (would highly recommend!) and

Oliver Lancashire in for £24k from Walsall

After five games my league table looks like this:

399146197.jpg

Paul

Currently playing a 4-2-3-1 formation that looks like this:

399147432.jpg

These are my results so far. Played a weak side in the JPT in order to rest players, and unfortunately lost the match. Was unlucky in the League Cup against Milwall. But, using the age old excuse, at least I can focus on the league now!...

399147425.jpg

Paul

I've managed to get the top of the league in Feb (by 7 points) of my first season. Key signing below:

Jamil Adam on a free (Scored 25 goals before Jan 2012)

Damian Casalinuovo on a free (Scored 20 goals before Jan 2012)

Nathan Cameron on loan (Coventry) A rock at the back

Also managed to sign Marlon Harewood in Jan on a 6 month contract and he's scored 8 goals in 6 games so far.

Managed also to get Ipswich as my parent club and signed Lee Martin (10k a week wages for 0k) and Adam Drury on loan.

If only Plymouth could follow suit In real life, i'd be a happy man.

I topped the league last night, after 11 games, winning 5 and drawing 6.

I beat off bigger and better competition for Damian Casalinuovo, who has 2 in 6. Grant Massey from Watford is class though, 6 goals in 9 games, and were doing very well. Walton and Fletcher are a class act in centre mid.

Up the Argyle!! I managed to win league 2 from Swindon in season 1 but not started the second season yet. Renegotiating the big earners contracts was the first thing i did also, I managed to get rid of some of the deadwood and made up the rest of the squad with players on loan who i could get without paying wages. I signed Counago upfront and played him with a lad from Arsenal called Luke Freeman and they did the business for me big time with support from Matt Lecointe. My loans were excellent, i got Raheem Sterling from Liverpool and Carl Jenkinson from the gooners on long term loans and had a few short termers as and when i needed them. I signed Gavin Mahon on a deal until the end of the season for £120 a week and he was ridiculously good, also got Helan from man citeh on a freebie with 50% of profit from net sale going to them. The basic spine of the team is decent, as you say Fletch and Walton are class and Nelson is a monster while Bhasera is great when he regains fitness.

i always start my long term save unemployed and after going on holiday and setting it to apply for all jobs i was shocked to say the least when in my news it said i had been hired as the new plymouth boss in the first week of the august....i was expecting to start in the blue square north south as thats how it went in previous football manager games.

seems a though a takeover had just happened at the club just before i took the job.

with 0 transfer budget and only being able to offer 550 a week maximum to players its been a challenge.

had a terrible start and was rock bottom after about 7 games with only 2 points on the board.

changed formation and after getting my first win went on a mega streak of 12 games unbeaten.

managed to get a few good players in such as

Luke freeman from arsenal on loan striker banging them in

paul walker decent AMR

thierry gathuessi quality right back

maxime blanchard rock at the back

ben thatcher solid left back

didnt realise untill a few months in that i could ask for some of the players to reduce their wage demands so managed to get carl fletcher and larrieu to lower their wage and give me more to sign players.... for some reason though simon waltons reduce wage is greyed out???

with extra wages... could now offer a max of 2,600 (big jump from 550) ive managed to get 3 quality players in on frees a day befor the free transfer deadline

andrejs rubins AML great looking stats for this level.... could be a star

michael woods MC young and should be to good for this level

jean phillipe delcourt DC young and fantastic looking defender

played 19 games now and im 11th only 1 point off the playoffs and only 10points from 1st place which is brilliant considering the dreadful start however begining to think if people are right and the game is too easy this time round.

also in the third round of the fa cup

hopefully can keep up the good form and get a shot at promotion.

hi all just thought id update my progress.. currently in my 1st season in january, after a very shaky start im sitting 2nd in the league 4 points clear but a fair few behind swindon in first! we have new owners now but still havent been given any money, i cut some players wages which freed the wage budget a fair bit, i managed to get arsenal as an a affiliation! the signings i brought in july/august were;

Benik Afobe (LOAN) from arsenal, great advanced striker currently has 16 in 25.

Sanchez Watt (LOAN) from arsenal, fast tricky winger, great for league 2, 7 goals, 2 assists, 3 mom, average rating 7.10.

Damian Casalinuovo (FREE), playing him as a deep striker, has 8 goals, 4 assists, 1 mom 7.02 rating.

Dean Bouzanis (FREE), ex liverpool goalkeeper, bought as a back up but has played a few games recently.

Damilola Ajagbe (FREE), right back with some potential.

Michael Woods (FREE), ex chelsea youth player, has come in and done well, 11 apps, 3 goals, 2 assists 1 mom.

It came to january and too push for promotion i managed to bring in; Gavin Mahon, Pele, Matty Collins and last but not least Alex Chamberlain on loan from arsenal!!!

Top 5 players of the season up to now are, Nelson, Soukouna, Afobe, Bhasera and Walton.

Will re post at the end of the season!! hopefully when im back in League One :)

Just started a Plymouth as I use to watch them when I was young.

Gone with a 4-4-2

reduced Fletchers, Waltons and Larrieus wages considerably, thanks for the heads up guys on that.

Signed so far:

Jamil Adam

Maxime Blanchard

Sourza (on a free can't remember his name exactly!)

Pre season has gone well plenty of goals which I am hoping will get our team out of this league for a chance to rebuild!

Just need to get a parent club to help with a little income. Will update any progress tonight

Finally someone posting lol!! Well I finished my first season in 2nd place!

Still in pre season season 2, think it will be a challenge even staying in league one as my top performers last year were loanees!!

Had a fair bit of a clean out; Damien Johnson, Romain Larrieu, Rory Patterson, Robbie Williams, Pele, Damian Casalinuovo, Durrell Berry, Luke Young, Gavin Mahon.

The big disappointment was that my board sold Curtis Nelson, 800k to Southampton, was really annoyed with that.

The players I brought in we're;

Benin Afobe LOAN, Also had him on loan last year, great striker if he composed himself, last season; 34/15, 10 assists, 4 mom, average rating 7.20

Adam Boyd FREE, Bargain on a free, should get me a few goals.

Ross Gray FREE, Young left winger from Livingston, 4 and a half star rating potential.

Adam McHugh FREE, 20 year old goalkeeper, brought as back up but with Bouzanis out injured, again 4 and a half star potential.

Joel Ambulu FREE, 17 year old striker previously at West Brom, 5 star potential.

Salomon Olembe FREE, 31 year old left winger, Cameroon legend, great buy for Plymouth only 1,800 a week wages.

Lee Trundle £18k, Bit of a surprise buy for a 35 year old, brought him in for the year on 2,500 a week wages, bit of a gamble but last year for Neath he managed 16 goals in 20 apps, 5 assists, 7 mom with an average rating of 7.63. Also won Welsh Top Goalscorer Award last season.

So that's pretty much my signings for the season, hopefully can guide the, to league one safety, will update January.

Good updates chaps! I'm sorry I've been away with work for the last week, so I've been unable to play my Plymouth save, but I'm heading back in a couple of days so will update you on my progress!

Paul

So I got back from my trip yesterday, turned on the computer this morning ready to resume with my Plymouth save and was greeted by this:

399332876.jpg

11 players out of action, 10 through injury and one with a suspension. With no players left in my reserve squad, it looks like I'll be calling on the 16 year olds in my reserve squad unless I can get some urgent transfers in!

I'm down to a 16 year old striker, with all of my first team strikers injured!

Wish me luck!...

Paul

managed to finish 3rd and get promotion to league 1

let most of the dead wood run like berry, feeney and ricketts, patterson and williams run their contracts down and leave on frees to leave me with some money to reinvest on better players

managed to get the following players in on free transfers (most of them i never heard of)

james chambers MC... got him more as a backup originally however whenever he plays he has impressed and now he is first choice

jamie smith RW.... probably my high profile signing of the season, amazing allround stats only problem is hes 31.

christopher gang GK.... better than larrieu and quality number 1 for this level although i kept larrieu on as a backup.

marcel schlosser LW.... quality stats for this division and at a good age only 25

Kristjan emilsson ST.... only 19 and brought more as a backup as im extremely short in the striker department

stefan jarosch DR... beastly stats and one of my key players

michael gardawski RW....22 years old has stats in all the right places and bit pacey too which my wingers need

Fabian Brandy ST.... with me being short on strikers and no one outstanding available i decided to get brandy and to my surprise he has been extremely good when picked. his pace and dribbling causes defences problems and he has notched an impressive 9 goals in 11 games.

also managed to get daniel johnson and gary gardner in on loan from my parent club villa and also benik afobe on loan from arsenal.

johnson and gardner have took a while to get settled and play well however they starting to show their quality now. afobe has been brilliant sharing the striker role with brandy and notched an impressive 8 goals in 10

played 16 games and currently in 7th place one place from playoffs and only 7 points from 2nd....shef weds are well ahead in 1st however i managed get a draw when i played them.

unfortunately ive had to let curtis nelson and bhasera go and they will be leaving me in jan.

they both got unhappy after i asked them to reduce their demands and as their contracts run out at end of season ive had to get them sold.

get 725k for nelson which is good but would rather have kept him and get 90k for bhasera

also decided to sell michael woods for 16k to our rivals exeter as he has been playing poorly and wanted to speak to other clubs.

managed to get a great carling cup run and went all the way to the 4th round beating the likes of walsall, blackburn and leicester. i drew man city only to be beat 4-1 :(. hopefully can reproduce that cup form in the johnstones paint although got a difficult crystal palace in the south qtr final....they beat me in the league with wilfried zaha being beastly.

as curtis nelson is going i quickly moved to get in abdoulaye diawara in on a free bit old at 29 but looks to be a more than capable back up

hopefully can keep up the good form and maybe get another promotion.

noticed james beattie will come but looks a bit slow so and would be my highest earner so dont know

anyway wish me luck.... will update at end of season.

hopefully my rep changes soon as im still regional

in the second season of the game i managed to finish 3rd and in the league one playoffs.

despite being 2-0 down in the first leg semi i managed turn it round and win the playoffs in a final against oxford utd

jean phillipe delcourt has been an absolute rock and helped the cause with about 14 goals and voted player of the season.... unfortunately now he has been generating interest tho from bigger clubs.

set my start of season expectations to mid table finish to get as much money as possible however starting t regret it now as i think gonna really struggle in championship.

managed get 2 mill in transfer funds and about 50k a week on wages.

quality players like frasier campbell and rafael sobis are available and willing to come to plymouth only problem is they want mega wages which i cant afford... most i can offer a player without adjusting budgets is 4.5k

also would be stupid to break the bank for one player.

annoyingly my reputation is still regional and the link i had with villa has been terminated because they got relegated to the championship.

wish me luck will keep you updated

also dont ever sign james beattie... he was disgraceful and didnt even score 1 goal... retired now tho

1st Season

Out: Larrieu, Feeney, Durrell

In: Stern John, Counago, Quinton Fortune, Gatheussi, Gareth Williams, Rui Marques, Danny Jackson, Aaron Martin (loan), Scott Rendeel (loan), Elliot Parish (loan), Samba Kanoute

Unfortunately the season satrted badly with Walton and Counago getting injured for a month, followed by Fortune. But we still managed 0-0 with Crawley, a 2-2 draw and a win on penalties against Coventry (CC 1st round), and then a 3-2 over Cheltenham and a 2-0 against Port Vale, sitting in 4th, and its looking good. Cant wait for Counago and Walton to get fit, Stern John has scored 3 in 3.

Won the league last year as Plymouth (well the first season of the game) by 6 points.

Marlon Harewood score 35 goals and roared me to promotion with his goals alone - Champions :)

League one is a struggle, but were slowly getting a bit of form together I think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just come across this thread, only got FM12 last week after getting home from uni, would be too much of a distraction while doing all my assignments!

Anyway, I'm a huge Argyle fan, so it was only natural that I start a save with the Pilgrims. Currently in January of the first season, and sitting in 4th in League Two. Noticed a couple signings I have made which are similar to those made by others. The squad is threadbare at the start, so I haven't sold any players yet, although Durrell Berry in-particular is woeful and needs moving on ASAP!

INS:

Damian Casalinuovo (Free)

David Elebert (Free)

Luke Garbutt (Loan)

Damilola Ajagbe (Free)

Akwasi Asante (Loan)

Jose Baxter (Loan)

Casalinuovo has been particularly impressive, already surpassing the 20 goal mark by January, while young Ajagbe has been surprisingly consistent at full-back.

In terms of the players already at the club, I've found Nelson, Bhasera, Atkinson and Young to be very good. It's exciting to see some of the younger players given lots of game-time, seeing as there is no chance to bring lots of players in. One thing I have picked up from this thread is that I must reduce the wages of high-earners. I'm already well over my wage budget, so I'm not quite sure why I haven't done that yet!

Ironic to see a couple people bringing Blanchard in seeing as he has since been signed in real life. I think being Argyle will become a bit easier if/when the likes of Purse/Hemmings/Chadwick/Blanchard/Sutherland on the January patch. It's a great challenge anyway!

• 2 months later...

Reviving and old thread. I also signed Casalinuovo, who was great in the first half a season, but the goals quickly dried up. I'm now in season 3 and he will be turfed out ASAP, having scored only 6 goals in 2 seasons in League 1. In fact I tend to find this with strikers, one minute they score for fun, but then they go on an extended run where they can't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Does anyone else playing as Plymouth ever give any game time to Jed Harper-Penman? His stats dont look particularly good, but he impressed in preseason, so I gave him a chance and now 3 seasons in he has banged in about 25 goals in league 2 and league 1 (not bad for a winger) and has loads of assists too.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any changes in the clubs finances since the patch? I'm going to go for a long term save now the patch is arrived and I think I'm going to break the habit of a lifetime and pick the team I support.

Hopefully it will be a good, fun challenge.

You could always load up a new game with english leagues down to the championship and small player database to see what their finances are like, it should only take 5 minutes, saves you asking someone else to take the time to find out cos you are too lazy.

Does anyone else playing as Plymouth ever give any game time to Jed Harper-Penman? His stats dont look particularly good, but he impressed in preseason, so I gave him a chance and now 3 seasons in he has banged in about 25 goals in league 2 and league 1 (not bad for a winger) and has loads of assists too.

I'm in the middle of my third season (in League One), and have given Jed a few opportunities, and although he's shown a bit of form, it's going to be close as to whether he'll actually make the grade for me.

wooot didnt realise there was a plymouth thread..... will post my plymouth save later on, as for jed harper-penman i have used him quite abit in my second season in league 1 and has really impressed, so has jamie richards and luke young will post screenies when i can get on my computer

Started a new Plymouth save recently and loving it so far. 8 points clear at the top after 23 games, took Man City into extra time in the League Cup 3rd round (lost 2-0 at theirs in the end) and just beaten Bury in the FA Cup 4th round. Kept the current squad but added Jamil Adam and a couple of MC's on loan.

• 1 month later...

Ok - now in 2017 and in the Championship. First season at this level was a strugglle, but now we are establishing ourselves and should not be too far off the playoffs this season.

Of the original squad only 4 remain:

Jed Harper-Penman had a really tough season when 1st promoted to the championship, but now in our second season at this level he is beginning to shine once again. Scored probably the goal of the season last match. His meagre stats have improved with age, but he still seems to "over perform" regularly.

Luke Young slowly getting better and better and is a very useful squad option. Banging in a quality hattrick earlier this season.

Jordan Copp - showed great form and was part of the reason for Carl Fletcher not getting a new contract. Versatile, can play MC, DMC or ML, so often finds his way ono the bench.

Soukana - not quite cut out for this level, but was decent at League 1 and league 2. Will be off at the season end.

A return for Argyle old-boy Sylvan Ebanks-Blake has gone very well indeed. So well, his wage demands have trippled since he signed, so I have a decision to make at the end of this season. £9k per week will be a lot more than I am paying anyone else.

Dean Bouzanis is my no.1 keeper. He has imprioved greatly since signing, and keeps outperforming any higher valued keepers that I sign as replacement. I probably need a better keeper if I am to get intot he prem though.

Harry Bunn arrived on a freebie from Man City a few seasons back, and is banging the goals in.

Also, plenty of regen players have been found, so the future is bright, the future is green...

Archived