Star Rating System, Team Report, and Natural Positions

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the following:

Is there a "penalty" in terms of attributes or morale when I play a player not in a natural position? The manual only says for "accomplished" for example: The player isnt naturally at his best in this position but will perform in an accomplished and successful manner. Ok. Great. Does this mean his attributes get a hit? 10% or so loss? Or how is it translated into the match?

Example 1:

I am asking because I have a DM natural who can also play MC accomplished. The coaches give him a 3.5 star as a DM but only a 3 star as an MC. When I look at his attributes, however, he fits an advanced playmaker much better than any of the DM roles because of low positioning and marking. As I have another great DM as anchor man I am actually playing him as MC.

Is he getting a lower star rating because there is a penalty on the attributes?

Example 2:

My DL was injured and I replaced him with my ML who can play DL accomplished. The sub played actually really well in that position. He has an average rating of over 7 and has already scored some goals. In the team report, the assistant manager still recommends the main DL (natural position) as the DL even though he played really badly when he played. Further, he suggests that our defense still needs to improve as the DL has only 2.5 stars (the natural DL) and is recommending some DL players.

I really have no interest in buying a new player for that position when my current sub is one of my best players (rating and performance wise) in the team.

Do the reports and star ratings take into account recent performances? If he has high average ratings in that positions, shouldnt it go up? Will the assistant manager always recommend the natural player over the accomplished one even though he is clearly better?

Example 3:

In another save, my MC was bought by another club due to the minimum release clause. I bought a new MC with the money received and now tried to set up the squad. The team report doesnt even recommend this guy because my DM is a natural in MC and he puts him at the MC role now. To replace the DM he chose a junior squad DM member instead. So instead of using one of my MCs who has the same rating as DM but not natural and the new guy as an MC, he recommends a youth guy as DM and leaves out the new MC.

Basically, I am doing whatever I feel the stats and my own opinion tell me but I am just wondering if there is somehting I am not aware of such as the penalty in attributes. Do you trust the team reports and star ratings or do you go by the attributes and by the ratings that you see?

Thank you.

Some Ass. Managers are plain idiots and you should not listen to them. Others are just brilliant. Just like with players you need to find staff that is compitent and who's oppinion you trust. For the above mentioned function for an Ass. Man. you need a guy with high tactical knowledge and judging player ability. What stats you need from him just depend on how you use him. These stats are kind of self explenatory though so you should be able to figure it out.

I hired new ones with good stats in judging and tactical knowledge. Maybe it's because he has to get to know the players better.

In any case I am guessing they would always just give a safe opinion with the player in a natural position preferred.

I have one more question unrelated but here it is:

If my player has a low passing attribute this means the accuracy and range of passing will be limited. In that case I suppose I should set him to play short passes as direct and longer ones are more difficult to pull of? But I also read somewhere when the pitch is wet it's better to set players to direct passing as the short passes will be difficult in those conditions.

Thank you for any feedback.

Well I would say that shorter passing is easier to do, but it can reduce the efficiency of your tactic. Think Denilson playing for Arsenal, fantastic at keeping the ball but sometimes lacks the flair to try those adventurous balls, or one twos etc. Rather than risking this give him the same range as normal or mixed but use through balls mixed or rarely to avoid him giving the ball away.

In wet weather, the ball can bobble a little and the weight of pass is more difficult to judge in these conditions. This means a short passing game for your team is more difficult to pull off (not impossible). I would say that mixed passing should be fine, although direct passing can work as well. I would say do what suits your team. If you have quick wingers and a strong midifeld and strikers, go direct. If you dont have an aerial presence up front but pace, go for mixed perhaps.

Thank you for your feedback. My wingers are pretty fast but have really low crossing attributes so I use them as inside forwards. Most of my players have low passing attributes with the best one, my MC with a 16 and 15 technique and 14 creativity. The others have between 10 and 13 with the defenders below 10. I think I will go with more short passing as I keep struggling to maintain possession.

Guest nik1313

Example 1:

I am asking because I have a DM natural who can also play MC accomplished. The coaches give him a 3.5 star as a DM but only a 3 star as an MC. When I look at his attributes, however, he fits an advanced playmaker much better than any of the DM roles because of low positioning and marking. As I have another great DM as anchor man I am actually playing him as MC.

coach reports for current and potential ability, are always "compared to" the best player of your squad for the position the report is being made.

to be more accurate in your readings, know that your player report has a 0.5-1 star bonus or penalty for:

a) his hidden atributes

b)his mental traits

Aha. Thank you. So the reports don't only take into account the attributes but everything even hidden stats that I can't see. Interesting. I assume playing someone in a position that is not natural probably also has some negative effect. It's clear if the position is only competent. I don't know how big the gap between natural and accomplished would be.

I just had another thought. In the tactics creator you can set up the various roles for the positions. The same way you set your formation. Depending on the formation they recommend different players. I wonder if they also take into account the role that you se up with the strategy. For example if you leave the default deep lying forward maybe they choose a different striker than if you set it up for a poacher role as the strikers will have different attributes.

Guest nik1313
Aha. Thank you. So the reports don't only take into account the attributes but everything even hidden stats that I can't see. Interesting. I assume playing someone in a position that is not natural probably also has some negative effect. It's clear if the position is only competent. I don't know how big the gap between natural and accomplished would be.

when it is his natural position his abilities are multiplied by 2,0 and if it is accomplished position lets say 75% his abilities are multiplied by 1,5 and so on

Guest nik1313

Example 2:

My DL was injured and I replaced him with my ML who can play DL accomplished. The sub played actually really well in that position. He has an average rating of over 7 and has already scored some goals. In the team report, the assistant manager still recommends the main DL (natural position) as the DL even though he played really badly when he played. Further, he suggests that our defense still needs to improve as the DL has only 2.5 stars (the natural DL) and is recommending some DL players.

I really have no interest in buying a new player for that position when my current sub is one of my best players (rating and performance wise) in the team.

Do the reports and star ratings take into account recent performances? If he has high average ratings in that positions, shouldnt it go up? Will the assistant manager always recommend the natural player over the accomplished one even though he is clearly better?

While having an assistant manager with good stats,know that:

In Assistant manager's team report he selects the best eleven for the duty and role of your tactics. Example:he will choose to play in DL position your DRLC because he is capable to, even if his coach report for the player in this position is poor because he can not use his left foot quite well.

The ratings he gives for the selected players and for your squad overall are the outcome of their abilities/training/personality. as Sfreaser has written, "The player’s mental traits such as determination, professionalism and ambition will affect these training levels as well as how much the player enjoys training the attributes in each category" .

You'll notice that ratings change game after game sometimes for half a star, for some players. These changes also include their levels of motivation and the Team Talk Feedback shows the squad reactions in terms of motivation after your teamtalks and they effect next matches. further more: Rotation not only prevents high levels of jadedness, it gives extra days of training for the players not selected.

Your transfer budget more than anything else determines his suggestions for potential signings, and he he'll be glad to suggest high rated signings when the financial improve.

you're wellcome, glad it helped you on rating's readings

Example 1:

coach reports for current and potential ability, are always "compared to" the best player of your squad for the position the report is being made.

to be more accurate in your readings, know that your player report has a 0.5-1 star bonus or penalty for:

a) his hidden atributes

b)his mental traits

This is wrong. It is the coaches assessment of the CA and PA of the player related to the goal you have set for the team in the preseason, i.e. 'Title Challenge' or 'Avoid Relegation'. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with other players on the team.

This is wrong. It is the coaches assessment of the CA and PA of the player related to the goal you have set for the team in the preseason, i.e. 'Title Challenge' or 'Avoid Relegation'. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with other players on the team.

Are you sure? I tought that there was a relation. Because in the report the coach always talks about the best player in the team in that position. And if he has the potencial or lacks of it to became as good as him.

when it is his natural position his abilities are multiplied by 2,0 and if it is accomplished position lets say 75% his abilities are multiplied by 1,5 and so on

Well this could be right, but there's another thing to consider. The versatility of the player.

I've had a player with 20 in versatility (old FM), that I could use in almost every place on the pitch, even if he was "awful" in that position the performance would be good. He was a DMC and i played him in all defensive and midfied positions without any problem.

Guest nik1313

I have used DMC's as a fullback with success

I am sure that none of us is in need to use scouting assistance and most of the users of this forum.

How accurate are their rating systems really?

I used this relation for natural/accomplished positions for coaches ratings

There is one more situation as an example:

When a player gets a long-term injury your coaches will rate them lower than usual, even for his PA.

After some time he gets back in action, his PA increases again(in coach reports)

abilities/training/personality and season goals are all in the holistic coach rating system.

imo, I tought that there was a relation. in the same way that in scout reports the rating is "compared to" the best player of the squad,the coach and assistant reports include this factor among the others mentioned above

Interesting topic.

Yes there is a penalty and if I have a player that is "Accomplished" in X role but I intend to play him regularly in that role I make sure to retrain him up to "Natural".

I have done this with several players and it seems to improve their performances. It certainly improves my Coach report on their ability at that position.

I did not know you can retrain someone to be a natural in a positio. I thought accomplished was the highest. Do you just keep doing the position training till it is natural or would you have to unlearn a position first?

No I just retrain and play them untill they become Natural.

I retrained Berbatov to Natural AMC, Aguero to Natural Attacking Midfielder Left, Evans to Natural Right Back, Alaba to Natural Left Back, Sandro to Natural CM and Pjanic to Natural Attacking Midfielder Right.

Simply put if someone regularly plays in X position for me and isn't natural at it then I give him position training for X position and within a year or two (often less) he is Natural at that position.

Thank you for the info. That changes a lot for me. I simply assumed that you cannot learn natural but that it is a given. Now I am off to retrain several accomplished players. I should have done this a while ago.

No I just retrain and play them untill they become Natural.

I retrained Berbatov to Natural AMC, Aguero to Natural Attacking Midfielder Left, Evans to Natural Right Back, Alaba to Natural Left Back, Sandro to Natural CM and Pjanic to Natural Attacking Midfielder Right.

Simply put if someone regularly plays in X position for me and isn't natural at it then I give him position training for X position and within a year or two (often less) he is Natural at that position.

But you can't ever remove the Position Training without losing it, can you? everytime i got the player having natural position i remove the training in that position, and he, after 3 or 4 days automatically loses the natural position :(

If he has high versatility and keeps playing in that position, he shouldn't lose the position even if you remove it. If his versatility is low, he may lose it during winter or summer break, even if he played at that position regurarly during the season.

Archived