brutal all this motivation crap

to sum it up: nobody really knows HOW A BIG PART OF THE GAME ACTUALLY WORKS, right?

Interacting with the press remains a big mystery for me. I resorted to choosing "no comment" except when praising my superstars.

Team talks are the same. I know SOME players react well if I select "angry" if they underperform, I know SOME players react well if I select "pleased". I have no clue however, what I am supposed to do when my top striker who scored 25+ goals during the last season has good morale but does not hit the goal for 900 minutes of football during the next season...

This game is in SERIOUS need of more feedback (tooltips!) about what your interaction actually does!

to sum it up: nobody really knows HOW A BIG PART OF THE GAME ACTUALLY WORKS, right?

Interacting with the press remains a big mystery for me. I resorted to choosing "no comment" except when praising my superstars.

Team talks are the same. I know SOME players react well if I select "angry" if they underperform, I know SOME players react well if I select "pleased". I have no clue however, what I am supposed to do when my top striker who scored 25+ goals during the last season has good morale but does not hit the goal for 900 minutes of football during the next season...

This game is in SERIOUS need of more feedback (tooltips!) about what your interaction actually does!

pretty decent summary imo

Here's a new one!

Player with superb morale after we trash our nearest challenger for the title 5-1, next game, ass. man says something in the press conference, his morale shoots to poor, i tell him i have faith, it barrels down to very low.

What they hell did he do? Did someone record himself banging his mum and send it to him?

Letting your Assistant take a press conference is always a mistake. Take them yourself, even if you don't say much. I don't get in to any real trouble then.

I know that it's a bad idea, the main point i was trying to make is that the morale drop was INSANE. something like that would only happen in real life under extreme circumstances, not some guy saying he thinks he sucks or wants to even remotely think about defence.

And that's another thing, WHY do your players hate playing defensively in ANY way and always moan after conferences if you say that?

Letting your Assistant take a press conference is always a mistake. Take them yourself, even if you don't say much. I don't get in to any real trouble then.

True - another time consuming mini game that gets quite repetitive

So, my experiment yesterday evening:

Took over a team at the bottom of Dutch league 2. 15 games, no wins, -1 pts. Micro-managed press, individual & team talks; selected by morale only. I only considered game mechanics. Logic, realism not required.

Initial morale: poor/very poor. (not surprising)

match 1: lost 1-2. Morale now OK/poor - morale went up despite the defeat.

match 2: drew 0-0 - morale now good/very good, with 1 superb! After one point from six!

conclusions:

1) morale can be learned but is just a series of exploits.

2) I'm so BORED I could scream.

Sorry, I'm feeling even more negative about the game now. I wish I had stuck to my "fun stuff only" policy.

you can figure it out, if you pull up the motivation screen during the ME you can see how your talks have effected players and learn from there.

I don't think that helps much...

First and foremost because players don't seem to react consistently to team talks; actually they don't even listen most of the time (check Team Talk Feedback...)

Then because the reaction to team talks is quite hard to figure out... and some talks are plain counterintuitive. For example, you would think "Prove a point" or "expect a performance" would be good choices to prevent/solve complacency, or "I have faith" would work for players with low morale... instead it's not always the case, and you can end up with players not reacting at all or reacting in the wrong way.

I don't want a set of predetermined instructions always leading to the same result (that'd be boring and game-breaking, like "press A to win match. B to draw. C to lose") but while I understand unpredictable reactions are human, I do think we could use better consistency in players' reactions to team talks and press conferences.

And UNEQUIVOCAL team talks, with reasonable action-reaction patterns. Like "Pleased" while leading an important game at half time shouldn't often be taken as "ok, it's in the bag, let's just phone the second half in" promtply leading to draw/defeat.

I don't think that helps much...

First and foremost because players don't seem to react consistently to team talks; actually they don't even listen most of the time (check Team Talk Feedback...)

Then because the reaction to team talks is quite hard to figure out... and some talks are plain counterintuitive. For example, you would think "Prove a point" or "expect a performance" would be good choices to prevent/solve complacency, or "I have faith" would work for players with low morale... instead it's not always the case, and you can end up with players not reacting at all or reacting in the wrong way.

I don't want a set of predetermined instructions always leading to the same result (that'd be boring and game-breaking, like "press A to win match. B to draw. C to lose") but while I understand unpredictable reactions are human, I do think we could use better consistency in players' reactions to team talks and press conferences.

And UNEQUIVOCAL team talks, with reasonable action-reaction patterns. Like "Pleased" while leading an important game at half time shouldn't often be taken as "ok, it's in the bag, let's just phone the second half in" promtply leading to draw/defeat.

team talk feedback in one thing, i personally never look at it for that reason, i base mines on motivation levels using the widget in the ME, but i also have played ALOT of this game and now kinda have a 6th sense of what works and what doesnt for certain levels of players and for the different personalities. I have always had a basic formula for it, big teams always expect alot, never let them get complacent, smaller teams i hold back a bit and i seem to find good success with that.

For the last part of your post, i dont think many managers would allow their team to become complacent at half time no matter what the score, i very rarely use pleased at half time, at home its always dont let your performace drop or dont become complacent and away its always encourage if i have a lead at half time, there are exceptions like being 4-0 up at home or 2/3 up away when i will use it, but its a dangerous choice. i would much rather keep ontop of my players all game and praise them at the end if they have performed. I have also had good success recently using the dont be complacent in the next match choice, i was always worried about using that one, but with Milan it works a treat.

• 3 weeks later...

After spending hours on clicking players personality info pages and "team talk feedback ("nothing specific noted")) I am playing with full auto (press and teamtalks) for the 3rd season now. Did not notice any difference (Still won every title/cup) Sometimes I overrule what my Assman tells the players in the team talks, but only once every 10 games. Nobody knows what the several option actually do and the lack of feedback means it will take years to find out (if this is possible). So I decided to simply ignore what I cannot control.

So, my experiment yesterday evening:

Took over a team at the bottom of Dutch league 2. 15 games, no wins, -1 pts. Micro-managed press, individual & team talks; selected by morale only. I only considered game mechanics. Logic, realism not required.

Initial morale: poor/very poor. (not surprising)

match 1: lost 1-2. Morale now OK/poor - morale went up despite the defeat.

match 2: drew 0-0 - morale now good/very good, with 1 superb! After one point from six!

conclusions:

1) morale can be learned but is just a series of exploits.

2) I'm so BORED I could scream.

Sorry, I'm feeling even more negative about the game now. I wish I had stuck to my "fun stuff only" policy.

I don't get it. You micro managed your squad to get their morale up, and it paid off. Isn't that what most people complain about? That player interaction is too random.

I don't get it. You micro managed your squad to get their morale up, and it paid off. Isn't that what most people complain about? That player interaction is too random.

Not me. Random I can cope with.

I don't need a game for boring.

I've got plenty of boring things I could do, like dusting or shredding my old bank statements.

Archived