[FM11] How i won the Champions League (Hopefully...) - A Tour of Europes Major Leagues

rlipscombe

Game Setup: 11.1 Patch, Medium database

Leagues Loaded: Denmark, England, France, Germany, Italy, Romania, Russia, Spain

Start Date: July 2010

After playing mainly lower league games for the last couple of seasons, I have decided to test my skills in the top leagues of European football with the aim of winning the Champions league. Because I rarely get past about a dozen seasons (partly due to the speed of my computr) I have a continental reputation and I have loaded the top leagues only of the countires above.

I am looking forward to this challenge and hopefully I will be able to stick much better to it than last season. my aim is obviously to win the Champions League and long term I’d love to manage Arsenal, Inter milan or Barcelona. I don’t think I’ll be stepping into those shoes straight away though!

I am going to ‘borrow’ a rough version of iseemonsters layout as I think it’s pretty much the best I have seen on the thread (hope you don’t mind!!) A brief rundown of my progress and paragraphs of each season will appear in the second and third posts.

My plan was to take pretty much the first job I get offered, which I did.

I am going to ‘borrow’ a rough version of iseemonsters layout as I think it’s pretty much the best I have seen on the thread (hope you don’t mind!!) A brief rundown of my progress and paragraphs of each season will appear in the second and third posts.

Don't mind at all! Best of luck with this and I look forward to seeing who you'll be managing and how you get on. I'll be reading! :thup:

Englishman lands on Saturn

russia_saturn.png

FC Saturn Ramenskoye is a Russian football club based in the Moscow suburb of Ramenskoye. It is also known as FC Saturn Moscow Region (FC Saturn Moskovskaya Oblast). The club was founded in 1946. Although the club is based in Ramenskoye, the club represents all Moscow Oblast.

Their nickname “Aliens” comes from the name 'Saturn'. Another nickname for the club is "Extraterrestrials."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first job I was offered was in late July by Russian Premier League team Saturn. I find the club in mid-table after about a dozen games with the club under-performing against media predictions of 7th. I have no target for this season from the club but my personal aim is to be safe in the top 10, hopefully within the top 8.

On initial inspection the squad seems decent, but that is about it. The Russian league allows for 6 Foreigners in the starting XI and at present this allocation is pretty much taken.

Transfer Budget:- £12.25 million

Wage Budget:- £100k p/w

Current Wage Budget:- £50k p/w

My transfer plans are to freshen up the squad with some additional Russian talent in order to free up a few Foreigner places so that i can use them for key players who will make a difference.

russia_saturn.png

Saturn - Russian Premier League - Season 2010

Transfers

As previously mentioned, I felt that the squad was in need of improvement as there were too many 2.5 - 3 star players and not enough 4+. I therefore set about making some moves in order to make my mark on the squad.

My first signing was that of Colombian striker Jackson Martinez from Jaguares for £1.5 million. I could see pretty quickly from the season at that point that goalscoring was the major problem so I brought in Jackson. On the same day I signed Sergey Budylin, a Russian LB on a free transfer to strengthen our defensive option. A couple of days later I made my big splash - signing Ivorian striker Lacina Traore for £7.5 million from CFR Cluj. it was a massive splash and probably more than I’d have liked but he’s a presence upfront and a major prospect.

Next through the door was another striker, Fedor Smolov from Dinamo Moscow for £500k. Fedor had been on loan at Feyenoord but I managed to pick up the Russian U21 for a bargain fee. Next up was Brazilian CB Gladstone from Vaslui for £1.2 million. Gladstone added some presence to the centre of our defence which was badly needed as the club was lacking in CBs. The second biggest signing was Georgy Gabulov for £3 million from Alania. The Russian midfielder will add some creativity to the midfield. The penultimate signing was Belorussian defender Artem Radzkov from BATE Borisov for £1.2 million. Artem is a promising player with plenty of potential. My final signing was a squad signing of Gabriel Viglianti from Otelul for £200k. he adds a bit of wing play and filled the final void in my squad.

so that was it - £15 million blown on 8 players who I desperately hope can propel us up the league. we shall see!

russia_saturn.png

Russian Premier League - July & August 2010

[left][size=2][font=Verdana]Russian Premier League  -  24th July 2010[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Verdana]Saturn                     0   0   Terek[/font][/size]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Russian Premier League  -  1st August 2010[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=Verdana]Spartak Nalchik            2   1   Saturn[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Verdana]                   Smolov 68[/font][/size][/left]

[left][size=2][font=Verdana]Russian Premier League  -  7th August 2010[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Verdana]Spartak Moscow             1   0   Saturn[/font][/size]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Russian Premier League  -  15th August 2010[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=Verdana]Saturn                     2   1   Dinamo Moscow[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Verdana]Ivanov 9[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Verdana]Traore 42                     [/font][/size][/left]

[left][size=2][font=Verdana]Russian Premier League  -  21st August 2010[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=Verdana]Krylia Sovetov             0   0   Saturn[/font][/size]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Russian Premier League  -  29th August 2010[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=Verdana]Saturn                     0   1   Sibir[/font][/size][/left]

As the results above show, we didn't exactly start well winning only 1 of the first 6 matches. Disappointed with the start but still only early days...

(as i have finished the season these will only be brief updates to catch up to speed. league and more detail will follow in the new season...)

russia_saturn.png

Russian Premier League - September & October 2010

[/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][u]Premier League  -  4th September 2010[/u][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Saturn                 1  -  2              Zenit[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Krizanac OG (26)[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][/size][/font] 
[font=Verdana][size=2][u]Premier League  -  11th September 2010[/u][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Rubin                   1  -  0              Saturn[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][u]Premier League  -  4th September 2010[/u][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Saturn                 1  -  2              Zenit[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Krizanac OG (26)[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][u]Premier League  -  19th September 2010[/u][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Saturn                 2  -  0              Alania[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Gabulov 42[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Kirichenko 90+2[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][u]Premier League  -  25th September 2010[/u][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Anzhi                  2   -  1              Saturn[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]                                                 Smolov 34[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][u]Premier League  -  3rd October 2010[/u][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Saturn                3   -  0              Tom[/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=2]                                                 [/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Smolov 3[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Kirichenko 50[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Radzkov pen 72[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][u]Premier League  -  6th October 2010[/u][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]CSKA Moscow      3   -  1              Saturn[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]                                                Traore 46[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=2][/size][/font] 
[font=Verdana][size=2][u]Premier League  -  16th October 2010[/u][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Saturn                 2   -  1             Lokomotiv Moscow[/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=2]                                                 [/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Smolov 37, 90+2[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][u]Premier League  -  30th October 2010[/u][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Rostov                 2   -  4              Saturn[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]                                                 Smolov 32, 55, 71[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]                                                 Zelao 49[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]                                                 Smolov 34[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]

[/size]

So after another poor month in September we slowly begin to turn our form around towards the end of October. this coincided with a switch to a 442 system i have used previously on Fm11. this all meant we started to move away from the drop zone.

russia_saturn.png

Russian Premier League - November & December 2010

[font=Verdana][size=2][u]Premier League  -  7th November 2010[/u][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Saturn                 1  -  0              Amkar[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Karyaka 14[/size][/font] 

[font=Verdana][size=2][u]Premier League  -  20th November 2010[/u][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Terek                   1  -  3             Saturn[/size][/font]                   
                                                           [font=Verdana]Kirichenko 10, 62, 84[/font]
[font=Verdana][/font] 
[font=Verdana][size=2][u]Premier League  -  27th November 2010[/u][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Saturn                 2  -  0              Spartak Nalchik[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Traore 50, 59[/size][/font]

So our run of 5 straight league wins put a nice gloss on the end of the season as i fuinally found my feet in Russia. In the end, we actually missed out on Europe by 1 point, so agonisingly close given the time we spent near the bottom.

russia_saturn.png

Saturn

Russian Premier League - Season Review 2010

Media Prediction: 7th

League Finish: 7th Graph

The League

Having Come in after about 10 games my immediate target was to obtain a top 10 finish. things started pretty badly and the early couple of months were a steep learning curve, mainly due to adapting to players who weren’t all my own and for whom I struggled to find a tactic that fit. for a while we flirted with the drop zone as the graph shows. however in the last 7 games we clicked into gear and went on to win 6 of the last 7 games. miraculously going into the last game we had a shot at the the last european place but in the end we missed out by a point.

Russian Cup

We were knocked out before I arrived. simple as that!

The Players - Transfers

Here’s a look at some of the key players for me in my debut season:

Goalkeepers

Antonin Kinsky - Veteran Czech keeper did well between the sticks and was a steady pair of hands. one for sure to stay next season.

Full Backs

Sergey Budylin - Russian LB picked up on a free. Did ok and is a steady player.

Artem Radzkov - Belarussian RB / Cb brought in mid-season. best position is as a CB but did really well at RB.

Centre Backs

Gladstone - Brazilian CB brought in mid-season. Solid if unspectacular, we were badly lacking in CBs.

Zelao - Another Brazilian defender who was with us when I arrived. another solid defender, clubs are interested in him.

Midfielders

Georgy Gabulov - £3 million signing when I arrived, Georgy is the creative spark in midfield. did well and I expect more in the coming season.

Alexey Ivanov - Russian winger who did ok, but not enough really for me to be the main winger for the new season.

Andrey Karyaka - experienced Russian LM who only really filled a gap. did ok late in the season though.

Petr Nemov - Solid if unspectacular central midfielder.

Gabriel Viglianti - Experienced midfielder brought in to add some depth to the squad creatively - he did ok when called upon but was a short term fix.

Strikers

Lacina Traore - my big signing at £7.5 million, young Lacina took a little while to settle in but showed some promise late in the season. hopefully he will kick on next season.

Dmitry Kirichenko - Veteran Russian did ok and was more involved than I thought due to his goals. will most liely be a bench player next season.

Jackson Martinez - highly rated young South American striker spent the season settling in and didn’t do too much. needs to step up in the new year.

Fedor Smolov - Signing of the season for me for a bargain £500k. Fedor scored in goals in 6 starts and 3 subs appearances, and will be a major player next season.

Club Player of the Year - Antonin Kinsky

My Player of the Year - Fedor Smolov

Finances

All in all, finances were pretty horrific mainly due to transfer spending. a monthly loss of £600-900k didn’t help. A major problem developing.

The Future

Well the board gave me £3.6 million to spend which will hopefully be invested wisely. I will make a push for the european places but if a tempting job became available I might be tempted to jump ship as the finances really worry me. time will tell though. for now it’s all about Saturn.

Career History

[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Verdana]Season   League               Pos.    Cup            Europe        Achievements[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Verdana]_________________________________________________________________________________________________[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Verdana]2010     Russian Premier   7th                       N/A             none[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Verdana][size=2]

[/size]

cheers guys. for a while it was looking a little ropey and i actually thought we might get relegated but we found some form and shot up the leeague. am through pre-season and into new season. will update tomorrow hopefully.

russia_saturn.png

Saturn - Russian Premier League

Season 2011 - Pre-season Review

Friendlies Roundup

Unirea Urziceni 0 - 1 Saturn

Osijek 2 - 2 Saturn

Saturn 2 - 1 Dynamo Kiev

Metallurg Krasnoyarsk 0 - 3 Saturn

Saturn 1 - 2 Zenit St. Petersburg

SKA Khabarovsk 0 - 3 Saturn

Fluminense 0 - 1 Saturn

Guarani 0 - 6 Saturn

Saturn 1 - 0 Benfica

Saturn 0 - 1 Shakhtar Donetsk

So a heavy pre-season schedule saw us play quite a few big teams and largely we were successful. the games helped prepare us well for the season and i'm happy with how it all went.

New Signings

Allaksandr Plotnikov - Russian keeper brought in as cover.

Gia Grigalava - young russian LB signed to provide competition. highly rated

Sergey Yefimov - young Russian CB signed for a bargain fee. highly rated again.

Alan Gagatov - Russian winger in on loan from Lokomotiv Moscow. highly rated and Russian which helps.

Diego Gavilan - Paraguayan utility player signed late on on a free. squad player.

Mauricio Pereyra - Highly rated Uruguayan youngster we're lucky to have. signed on a free.

Dmitry Torbinsky - Russian LM who took most of my transfer budget at £3 million, in from Lokomotiv Moscow. Good player for this club.

Transfer ROundup

Other things of note

Finances are back in the red again and things don't look good long term. the debts are going to pile up as the season progresses and players may have to leave.

On to the season...

russia_saturn.png

March & April 2011 Roundup

Results

Anzhi 0 - 0 Saturn

Saturn 4 - 1 Tom

Traore 21

Peyeyra 24

Zelao 51

Martinez 80

Dinamo Moscow 2 - 0 Saturn

Saturn 1 - 0 Rubin

Kirichenko 35

Saturn 3 - 1 Zenit St Petersburg

Gladstone 45

Radzkov pen 65

Smolov 75

Rostov 1 - 0 Saturn

Saturn 2 - 1 Amkar

Zelao 58

Vigilianti 83

So a solid start to the season sees us 4th at the end of April. home wins against Rubin and Zenit are results i'm really proud of. our home form is great - our away form not so. still it marks an improvement on last season. Star players so far include Zelao and Peyeyra.

russia_saturn.png

May & June 2011 Roundup

Terek 1 - 2 Saturn

Traore 11

Gabulov 44

Saturn 3 - 0 Ural

Torbinsky 15

Traore 22

Zelao 24

CSKA Moscow 1 - 0 Saturn

Saturn 1 - 1 Spartak Moscow

Smolov 16

Sibir 1 - 0 Saturn

Saturn 1 - 0 Krylja Sovetov

Smolov 48

Lokomotiv Moscow 5 - 1 Saturn

Traore 16

As the results above show, the form has begun to tail off. this culminated in the thrashing we took against Lokomotiv which hurt hard. with the club 6th in the Premier League at this point, the board have also just had to inject £4 million into the coffers to stave off receiveship and return the club into the black... just.

Over the past few weeks my head has begun to be turned by some of the job offers coming up which included AC Milan, Liverpoo, and Marseille. i upset the board by applying for the Marseille job before the Lokomotiv game and though i apologised i fear the damage may have been done, what with that and the precarious finances.

because of this, on the 14th June 2011 i decided to make the tough decision to resign from my post at Saturn and return to the job market on the hunt for a new job.

i was enjoying my time there although i did have two issues which i was struggling to manage. obviously the finances and also the foreigners rule that didn't help my team. with the two combined, i had a feeling that things were only going to get worse and so in order t opreserve my reputation i decided to jump.

not sure where i want to go yet. we will see what comes up. turned down a job at a promoted Romanian club - waiting for something a bit bigger ;)

Archived