*** Live from Cape Town - FMS Awards 2006 ***

Raptor

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up, a category that seems to get more entries every year, though that is mainly attributed to awards being scrapped.

The nominees for Best Rest of the World Story are:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Escape To Victory (chesterfan2)

<LI>I need to PP ! PP-70 that is (chesterfan2)

<LI>Sorrento and the Amalfi (haze.13)

<LI>Saxemara? Damn, I Thought You Said Sexy Mama! (Peacemaker7)

<LI>Sacred Victory (-Xenon-)

As it turns out, this was one of the closest run categories this year. And yes, we have a joint winner. Heck, at one stage, it seemed destined for a four-way tie. In the end, PM7 and haze.13 just miss out, as the co-winners of the award for Best Rest of the World Story are:

I need to PP ! PP-70 that is (chesterfan2) and Sacred Victory (-Xenon-)

So chesterfan2's debut year sees him come first AND last in the same category, quite remarkable!

*There is some commotion at the entrance as a man tries to gain access to the ceremony, but the bouncers are doing their utmost to stop him*

Please excuse the racket, ladies and gentlemen, it seems someone from our blacklist is trying to gain entry. Card-happy referee Valentin Ivanov, who you all will know from his astonishing tally of 16 yellows and 4 reds in the second round match between “The Divers XIâ€, sorry, Portugal and the final bound Dutch team. Due to his actions we will have to wait another four years before we can claim the world cup that is rightfully ours. But since Ivanov has reached the mandatory retirement age of 45, he will no longer be able to stop us. In fact, the only thing that can keep Oranje from claiming the 2010 Championships as their own would be a reintroduction of the Apartheid regime.

Typical... again trying to spoil an orange party... Ok, don't pay attention to that man please, rather cross your fingers for the candidate of your choice in Best Fantasy/Super League Story...

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>The Highly Recommended, Improving Influence of Cold Hard Cash. (Attjen)

<LI>The Exiles Abroad (Educated Hick)

<LI>From The Fringe – Holyhead Hotspur (Faramir)

<LI>I've got ninety thousand pounds in my pyjamas... (Terk)

We continue with the award for Best British Story and the nominees here are:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Does Anyone Have a Pun Involving Worcester? (blanklook)

<LI>Wine to Bitter, Berets to Flat Caps - (displaced_seagull)

<LI>Scottish Reprise – Return to East Stirling (Faramir)

<LI>Is there a reason it's called the giant axe (Wimb the Barman)

<LI>Evil Intentions – Mwahahahaha!! (Spav)

<LI>Whisky and Women (Terk)

A long list of nominees then, caused by a big tie in the last qualifying round that qualified an additional four stories for the final. In this final, the massive electorate was clearer in its verdict. But before announcing the winner, I would like to quote a fellow moderator who shall remain nameless...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Writing awards are for pussies. FMSer of the Year is where it's at icon_cool.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

... The winner is: Whisky and Women (Terk)

On to another close-run award, but to increase the tension: no multiple winners here...

The candidates for [DEJA-VU]Best Challenge Story[/DEJU-VU] are:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Revenge is a dish best served with haggis and stinky cheese (Attjen)

<LI>The Siege of London (AAC) (Educated Hick)

<LI>Another Harrowing Misadventure (Ages Challenge) (Faramir)

<LI>You Rrrrrrr's (We were once GREAT challenge 2006) (mavericktango)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobBev:

Simon - see what can happen when you <STRIKE>stick at something.</STRIKE> get to page two. Well done, you deserved it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And we rush on with the final award in the Geographical Category.

The nominees for Best Short Story are:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>CSI: Milton Keynes (Richey)

<LI>The Armband (Wimb The Barman)

<LI>FM addiction almost killed me (bomjr)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spav:

Evening all, I'm finally here and am just catching up on the first two pages to see what I've missed.

I'll have a glass of anything wet, that's if the bar hasn't been drunk dry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*hands Spav a can of Fosters*

[intermezzo]

This year has been difficult for FMS. The number of writers is ever declining and with it the number of good stories. A few regulars, who have more or less become part of the furniture are still around and every once in a while someone pops up who is a valuable addition to the community. More often than not though, the newly started ‘stories’ are no more than misguided ramblings about how good such and such XI is and challenging people to better it. Hopefully though, with the release of the new game, we can find a few rough diamonds who can display their writing talent to the full.

As for the community, it’s about bloody time we had a meetup, don’t you all think? icon_wink.gif

[/intermezzo]

Also, now that he's here, would HD please come up to the stage?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobBev:

Hey Spav - feeding the little one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, the wife is doing that, but the little <STRIKE>bugger</STRIKE> angel slept an hour later than usual due to the change for daylight-saving. I was counting on him to be my alarm clock.

*Necks can of Fosters* - cheers WLKRAS!!

And with that, we move on to the main course for the night: The Main Overall Awards, beginning with the award for Best Newcomer that was so cruelly denied me all those moons ago icon_wink.gif

This once in a lifetime award will go to one of the five people listed below...

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>blanklook

<LI>chesterfan2

<LI>irishregan

<LI>jim65

<LI>Wimb the Barman

We continue with Best Story Character

The nominees are as follows:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Yuri Djerkinov – Fools Go Russian In (BobBev)

<LI>Ingi Danielsson - TBGAFAWCG (PM7)

<LI>Clemente Marito - Saxemara? Damn I Thought You Said Sexy Mama! (PM7)

<LI>Stephen Beckett - Whisky and Women (Terk)

The Victory Speech

May I begin by apologising for any lack of continuity, however this speech was originally written in 1999.

Thank you, one and all, for your thoughts and your votes. This story was written primarily for my own entertainment, but also to provide a few moments of respite for those weary few wantering through the wilds of the interweb.

I appreciate that the field was not the largest, but the quality of the nominees was high and I'm delighted to pick up the award.

At the point of conception this idea was designed to test a theory, to see if I could make a go of 4 different ways of playing in one game. I think it basically worked - I had a lot of fun with it, and I'm glad it was appreciated.

And thank **** I've got one of these and the digs can stop. Forum will probably die now, nothing else new can happen... icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

I suppose I should say thanks for what is now I think my 16th award (I've lost count, I think its 16) and my first actual FMS one and actually one I haven't won before. Which is always nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

16th indeed. Have a look at this page

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HD:

Forum will probably die now, nothing else new can happen... icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny you should mention that, because something new HAS happened...

Quite HOW it did, I'll never know, but in the closest category of all this year, Peacemaker7 becomes the first person to win one and the same award TWICE in the same year!

BOTH Clemente Marito AND Ingi Danielsson outpolled BobBev's and Terk's characters by a solitary vote, and are hereby named Character of the Year

It doubles PM's tally of Best Character awards, and triples the number of characters he's won it with.

Congratulations are in place for all winners, but this is an unprecedented achievement in CMS/FMS Awards history!

Archived