FM11 - is it possible to recreate the Totti role?

so, much like it says on the tin, Im trying to get my lone striker in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 system playing like Totti, im mostly happy with the midfield roles, how they run and how they burst into the box, but the link up needs to improve a bit (supose I can sort that up by playtesting with a better team then Pompey) but I cant for my life figure out what would be the most suitable way to set up my striker

if we are looking for such a player role currently in action irl I supose Messi as central striker would be the one coming closest

pretty much what I want is to get my center forward droping deep and constantly attempt passes like this, if possible, the sweeping longballs launched to ether side from a deep central position:

It really is that simple. That role gives Through Balls: Often. No Closing Down and a decent Mentality, that's how Totti plays in real life, in my opinion and unless you give what you think he plays like how am I supposed to know what settings you want?

EDIT: It also gives Move into Channels and Roaming, exactly like Totti does/used to. The role even gives Passing Style Mixed which will give you those sweeping long-passes as well as short through balls!

Offer him a huge long-term contract and play him fleetingly as a sub whilst along him to influence team matters which should be the managers business.

I think you missed the point, I want an all action preformace out of my striker, I want him to play extremly deep and make the odd forward run, and I want him to flog that kind of passes showed in the highlights I posted (I dont really care if all passes hit the intended distination, I want my player to try that kind of passes)

I honestly dont think the ingame Totti have the stamina to produce what Im looking for, while some of his other stats might be a tad to high, but that is a data issue and have no place here

SCIAG@ DFL/support or Complete Forward/support does indeed seams to come closer to what im looking for, but I feel it would still need additional tweaking to get right

Jenko_EFC@ my main bother would be that my player would end up to high up the pitch (assuming I play fluid/attack), make to few forward runs, and not fully mirror some of the defencive aspects of Tottis game (yes that bit may not be prominent or be his main task, but its hardly as non existant as the trequartista role would suggest), and well....easy tackling for a role set to mirror Totti? just naaaah...

This offers no help- but makes an interesting subtext to what you are talking about:

http://suhrith.blogspot.com/2008/06/death-of-trequartista.html

Im personally of the opinion that the role is dead in modern football; that the Trequartista or enganche has to be much more of a complete player than of old- having to either be good enough to lead the line as a front man when required (ala Rooney); or hard-working enough to perform defensive duties in addition to being a creative force (ala Fabregas). Even Messi presses and closes down within the Barca formation- and if any team could afford to carry any player at the moment it would be Barca and him.

None of which helps you of course- and it all remains theoretical rather than gameplay based. But thought it was interesting all the same :)

This offers no help- but makes an interesting subtext to what you are talking about:

http://suhrith.blogspot.com/2008/06/death-of-trequartista.html

Im personally of the opinion that the role is dead in modern football; that the Trequartista or enganche has to be much more of a complete player than of old- having to either be good enough to lead the line as a front man when required (ala Rooney); or hard-working enough to perform defensive duties in addition to being a creative force (ala Fabregas). Even Messi presses and closes down within the Barca formation- and if any team could afford to carry any player at the moment it would be Barca and him.

None of which helps you of course- and it all remains theoretical rather than gameplay based. But thought it was interesting all the same :)

I would not say that its a role that is dying out, just that its geting massivly reinvented, both by how the type of player is deployed in european football, how Spalletti changed the face of a modern 4-3-3 and how a new breed of players have been used in the position often held by a trequartista in the past

currently in Serie A there's a bit of mini obsession to play a "winger" type of player that drift all over the pitch and use dribbling and pace as the main mean of disruption in the hole (of a 4-3-1-2), while the more creative attacking player can often bee seen playing secunda punta

My striker plays similar passes quite frequently and the three attacking midfielders behind him are often leading the attack with him dropping deeper. I changed every single slider so can't tell you the role but deep lying forward or complete forward on support would probably come closest. Here are his settings:

Mentality: Normal (lower than the AMC and same as the AML/R but in your case I would put it a bit lower than the AML/R)

Creative Freedom: Much (almost full)

Passing style: Mixed (one notch below middle)

Run from deep: Sometimes (having him on rarely would make him more Totti esque is suppose)

Run with ball: Sometimes

Long shots: Rarely

Through balls: Sometimes

Cross ball: Sometimes

Cross aim: mixed

Cross from: mixed

Wideplay: move into channels

Roam: Yes

Hold up ball: No

Essentially I just give him full creative freedom to do and move about as he pleases. His mentality ensures he drops deep to get the ball. To make him play more like Totti you could put throughballs on often and change the wideplay and roaming to normal and no.

Run from deep: Sometimes (having him on rarely would make him more Totti esque is suppose)

sometimes would IMO be more fitting considering that he score a great number of goals simply by runing into the box (or arriving late), would he really score so many goals well inside the box if he was only staying back and spraying passes? ofcorse he run from the deep if there's a good opertunity to do so

some more recent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkimQMqA4Wg

and that was also the case back when he played a more traditional trequartista role behind two strikers:

The Trequartista is definitely not 'dead' in modern football. Berbatov and Ibrahimovic spring to mind instantly. Slow and wouldn't ever dream of closing anything down but when they have the ball they play some outrageously stylish and creative passes. Effectively a Trequartista.

Not really, he doesn't close down much at all. Mainly because he can't be bothered. Trequartista is pretty much a DLF, he stays a bit more advanced than one but when you have possession, he maintains his position and links up play; just like a DLF. Advanced Forward for Berbatov is preposterous, he doesn't make forward runs and run with the ball like the role suggests for starters. He often makes through balls whereas that role gives him Mixed and Berbatov holds up the ball unlike that role.

You also need the right player with the right attributes and individual player skills in order to get the role to function right, and if you want him to play deeper then you should put him in the AMC slot not FC.

In my first season with St. Pauli I used Rivaldo (and I think that Rivaldo has that "stops play" ability but I'm not sure) in the trequartista role (in the AMC slot) and he did score a lot of goals by arriving late in the box and he did provide a lot of assists. As Rivaldo is quite old I needed someone else to take his place in the second year, I found a very nice Brazilian with all the right stuff with the addition having higher teamwork, work rate (very high work rate) and stamina, this made a huge difference in how he played the same role, the difference was that he scored less and made more assists, and he was playing so deep that you could think that he is a DMC

so if you want a trequartista that scores more goals then his teamwork should be lower if you want him to assist more then his teamwork should be higher and if you want him to drop deeper then he has to have higher work rate and that skill "comes deep to get the ball" would definitely be nice

Not really, he doesn't close down much at all. Mainly because he can't be bothered. Trequartista is pretty much a DLF, he stays a bit more advanced than one but when you have possession, he maintains his position and links up play; just like a DLF. Advanced Forward for Berbatov is preposterous, he doesn't make forward runs and run with the ball like the role suggests for starters. He often makes through balls whereas that role gives him Mixed and Berbatov holds up the ball unlike that role.

Unfortunately, this just looks like the kind of lazy stereotyping that exists about Berbatov

Your first point suggests you don't really watch him play at all

Obviously I don't watch him much consideering I'm an Everton fan. ;)

I watched him alot at the beginning of the season when he was on fire and I must say, he left most closing down to Nani, Rooney and Valencia. Since then, Rooney went off-form and Valencia is injured so maybe he's started alot more in the past few weeks, I don't know. Even if he did close down alot during that time, I doubt he went out of his 'zone' to close down. Since the Trequartista role makes him close in his 'Area' as it suggests, this is exactly what happens. And Closing Down in FM has alot more than the slider, if you told Roy Keane to only close down in his 'Area' he'd chase anything down that came near him because of his Work-Rate, Determination, Aggression, Bravery etc.

Archived