Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

Robin Returns

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> By Richard Clarke

Robin van Persie is back in the Arsenal squad for the game with Charlton on Saturday while Sol Campbell will continue his recovery in the Reserves on Monday.

The last game for both players came against West Ham back on February 1 but they have been in full training for a week. The Dutchman’s recuperation from a broken toe is obviously slightly ahead of the England centre back’s ankle bruising.

“We have few players still out,†said Wenger at this pre-match press conference. “Jose Antonio Reyes (hamstring), Freddie Ljungberg (calf), Ashley Cole (ankle), Gael Clichy (foot), Lauren (knee), Pascal Cygan (hamstring) and Abou Diaby (ankle). But Robin van Persie is back in the squad.

“Sol will not be involved this weekend. But he is working hard and is getting sharper. He has another reserve game on Monday and then he will be close.â€

Ironically the game will also be against Charlton at Barnet FC, kick-off 7pm.

Campbell’s return is timely but it may be tight for him to get sufficient match practice to be ready for Juventus in the Champions League Quarter-Final in 10 days time.

“I am not as far as that,†cautioned Wenger. “From next week he will be in contention again. After that I will select the team I believe is the best to play the next game.

“He will certainly play on Monday night, and from then on he will be available. Do I decide to play him or not at Portsmouth [next Saturday]? I do not know yet.â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arsene to stay at least till 2008

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> By Richard Clarke

Reports that Arsène Wenger is going to Real Madrid poke their head above ground every year like a hardy perennial.

Supposedly, the seed of the story was sown in the Spanish press over the past few days but, at Friday afternoon’s press conference, the Frenchman once again applied the weedkiller.

“I can say publicly that I will be at Arsenal,†said Wenger after it was suggested that he or Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti would be taking the reins at the Bernabeu. “I have said many times I have a contract with Arsenal until 2008 and normally I try always to respect my contracts.

“I love Real Madrid,†he went on. “After Arsenal, it is certainly a club I love because of my childhood. It was the team I admired when I was a kid and I have a lot of good memories for Real Madrid.

“But my priority is to do well for Arsenal because I am here and I feel we are in the rebuilding process of a big team again. I want to do that.â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

If thats aimed at me, then in my defence I have not watched the video. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watch them.

icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

You would have thought Barca would have learned their lesson after cesc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe its a sweetner for a potential henry deal icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

Just watched it.

fb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alright for a fiteen year-old I guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was talking about the Shania Twain music icon_frown.gif ...the kids alright too I guess

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

You would have thought Barca would have learned their lesson after cesc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe its a sweetner for a potential henry deal icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its barca's own fault. They did not pay enough attention to him (shocking after watching that video) and Fran basically got fed up and left Barca in august. There were reports in October that he was going to join Arsenal this March after his 16th Birthday, turns out those reports were true. Looks like 'A. Trialist' really was a star.

I think if beckham was to come to arsenal, he would play a central role.

He is by far the most hard working offensive player at madrid, and i saw this tackle he made on Eto'o a while back, from behind, when Eto'o was 1on1. Tracked him back all the way and won the ball cleanly.

What i think we do need is a winger who can play on either flank.

It would be a mistake i think to let Pires go. He is easilly our most composed player and even at his age there are few in the league who have the eye for a pass cutting in from the left.

Ljungberg is almost 30 too, and with Reyes and Walcott not really wingers and hleb liking a more central role i would think Wenger would look for a good 'fulltime' winger.

Ribbery (sp?) the marselle winger comes to mind. Looks like a natural replacement for pires.

I dont think we need to sign another striker tbh. We have reyes, rvp, henry, adebayor, walcott and at times lupoli.

Would be nice though to sign a D/M RLC......ahhh if only life was like FM icon_frown.gif

I know thewy are only videos, and very promotional in nature, but bloody hell, this kid looks the business. Was especially impressed by his off the ball running, interceptions, and tracking ability. That sort of stuff is more natural instinct, can't really be taught to any great degree apart from work ethic, and can be the sign of a top drawer player in the making. Sweet left foot too by the looks of it.

I'm not sure Pires will sign a new deal knowing he was going to be used mostly as a sub. Strikes me as the type of player who needs to be playing most games. Even more so if the rumours of so much interest on the continent. Supposedly, he wants to finish his career in Portugal (his family from there I believe), and I honestly think a transfer there this summer, or once his contract is up, would serve everyone best, allowing him to bow out with grace, instead of dragging it out the way Bergkamp has this season.

Perhaps it's just the romantic in me, but I hate seeing players approaching retirement age, and barely playing the odd half here and there. I understand experience is called for at times, Pires and Bergkamp can give us that now, but like I said, I'm a romantic, and prefer to think of them in their prime, not bench warming most weeks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Arjen Robben:

is that fran the new cesc? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watch the videos dude

could of sworn freddie was 29!

We lack experience, and have lacked it over the season. I think in europe our style has suited us very well, and it doesnt really take old heads to rip a good european side appart.

But in the league it seems most teams have figured us out and know what to do to stop us. Doesnt help when you have just 2 outfield players in the team who are over 24.

I hope dennis stays for the last year, its only fair he gets a taste of the new stadium, same for pires.

Having said that, the fran kid reminds me of edu in a way. Not too many left footed CMs these days, and again, he looks composed and is a good dribbler so icon_biggrin.gif

On the other hand, i seem to remember watching certain reserve games before cesc broke into the first team, and i recall he was a VERY good dribbler....i remember an instance where he toyed with a defender dancing with the ball left and right before he put it past the goalie. So was i dreaming or did he just suddenly forget how to beat his man and leave him dead?

Or has he been restricted because of the role he now plays?

i think its his role in the team and what i imagine he has concentrated on in developing his game. he is better than any reserve team player so can p*ss around with them all he likes but prob couldnt/wouldnt do it in a first team game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pires777:

I think if beckham was to come to arsenal, he would play a central role.

He is by far the most hard working offensive player at madrid, and i saw this tackle he made on Eto'o a while back, from behind, when Eto'o was 1on1. Tracked him back all the way and won the ball cleanly.

What i think we do need is a winger who can play on either flank.

It would be a mistake i think to let Pires go. He is easilly our most composed player and even at his age there are few in the league who have the eye for a pass cutting in from the left.

Ljungberg is almost 30 too, and with Reyes and Walcott not really wingers and hleb liking a more central role i would think Wenger would look for a good 'fulltime' winger.

Ribbery (sp?) the marselle winger comes to mind. Looks like a natural replacement for pires.

I dont think we need to sign another striker tbh. We have reyes, rvp, henry, adebayor, walcott and at times lupoli.

Would be nice though to sign a D/M RLC......ahhh if only life was like FM icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

reyes and walcott are natural wingers tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wenger confident Henry will stay

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has played down reports that Thierry Henry has already decided to quit the London club for Barcelona in the summer.

Newspaper reports in Spain and England claimed a deal had been done between the Frenchman and the Catalan giants.

But Wenger said: "I don't believe there is any truth in that because I cannot imagine that Thierry would do that."

Wenger remains confident Henry will stay, but admitted: "I do not know what his intention really is."

Henry is out of contract with the Gunners at the end of next season and has so far refused to commit to extending his stay in London.

"Do not forget that Thierry is under contract until 2007, so anything agreed without us being involved can only be invented because it cannot be true," said Wenger.

"After that there is a game going on between the Spanish press and English press.

"The Spanish press brings something out that is not true and the English press answers that, and the same on the other side.

"I cannot stop any noises or transfer rumours. I tried for a while and I could not do it, so there are a few solutions.

"Either Thierry extends his contract now or does it at the end of the season, or I do not know what his intention really is to do." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• SI Staff

Teams

Arsenal: Lehmann, Eboue, Toure, Senderos, Flamini, Hleb, Fabregas, Silva, Pires, Henry, Adebayor

Subs: Almunia, Bergkamp, Van Persie, Song Billong, Djourou

Charlton: Myhre, Young, Hreidarsson, Perry, Spector, Rommedahl, Euell, Hughes, Kishishev, Thomas, Darren Bent

Subs: Andersen, Sorondo, Holland, Bartlett, Powell

No Theo icon_frown.gif

Should win this without too much trouble, think we might win three or four nil. Hopefully RvP will get a roun out and if we win we go 4th as Spurs have a late kickoff.

Mon Arsenal icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

sounds like ade has had a few chances already </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only one ffs, stop doing that! icon_mad.gificon_biggrin.gif

He chased down a nothing ball and won it, made it himself, but never chose whether to square to Henry or shoot.

Invloved in a very good move for the goal, as was Cesc et thierry. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CM GOD 69:

How are you going to spend your two hours in fourth place? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And your summer in 7th?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CM GOD 69:

And your summer in 7th? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm going to Greece in July so that should take my mind off it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

And your summer in 7th? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm going to Greece in July so that should take my mind off it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gificon_wink.gif

Ade might not be finishing well yet, but he's involved in everything apparantly. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And there we have it.

Ade is just fbbbb. Our second 'striker' scoring at a goal every other game. icon_smile.gif

Ade might not be finishing well yet, but he's involved in everything apparantly. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And there we have it.

Ade is just fbbbb. Our second 'striker' scoring at a goal every other game. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

should be a goal a game icon_wink.gif

And there we have it.

Ade is just fbbbb. Our second 'striker' scoring at a goal every other game. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

should be a goal a game icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

/o\

If you were even remotely serious then, you'd incur my wrath.

Ade basically one of the pieces we've been missing for ages. icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Henry plays down Barcelona talk

Arsenal striker Thierry Henry has distanced himself from reports linking him with a move to Barcelona.

Henry, 28, is in talks with Arsenal over a new deal and said in the match programme on Saturday: "Nothing has changed in the past couple of weeks.

"If the papers want to speculate, they will speculate like they have done all season - but my position remains exactly the same."

Henry's current deal is due to expire in the summer of 2007.

And Henry added: "There have been some more stories about my future in the papers this week.

"The papers write what they want to write and I would just say this - there are no quotes from me in the story, no quotes from Barcelona, no quotes from anyone." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4820574.stm

we need boro and sunderland to get results today </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well boro have scored making it 2-2

come one sunderland icon_mad.gif

we need boro and sunderland to get results today </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well boro have scored making it 2-2

come one sunderland icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

spoke to soon icon_frown.gif

Wouldn't be worried about Blackburn they'll soon fade away when Bellamy gets injured. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you never know its always the quite ones you have to worry about

Wouldn't be worried about Blackburn they'll soon fade away when Bellamy gets injured. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you never know its always the quite ones you have to worry about </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Blackburn do look good but without MGP and Bellamy they are one of the most one dimensional teams in the Prem.

Archived