Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The Brazilian midfielder Marcos Senna, Andrés Iniesta and Oleguer of Barcelona, and Cesc of Arsenal are the featured new names in the 33 strong party Spanish manager Luis Aragonés named today for a get together in Madrid on Dec 12th. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Translated from Marca

I'm still in relative mirth at Cygan's antics at the weekend.

We're playing a team notorious for swinging in the high balls and challanging in the air, thus giving away set pieces anywhere in our half is not a good idea.

Cygan recieves the ball, gives it away, then fouls the Bolton player. Cygan recieves the ball, gives it away, then fouls the Bolton player. Cygan recieves the ball, gives it away, then fouls the Bolton player. Repeat forever.

It's like when Almunia was starting ahead of Lehmann, making point-costing mistakes every game and still Wenger held his faith in him. There are potential defensive solutions that don't revolve around Pascal Cygan, it's just that Wenger doesn't seem to know them... icon_frown.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has spoken of his admiration for both Hatem Trabelsi and Steven Pienaar.

The two players currently play for Ajax, and the Gunners boss will be able to observe them directly when the two sides face each other in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday.

Trabelsi almost became an Arsenal player before his move fell through in the past but Wenger does not want to be drawn on whether either star will be arriving at Highbury.

"I don't know. But you never can say no," he told Sky Sports News.

"But of course it's not the best moment to talk about it before tomorrow's game.

"We were once close to signing Trabelsi. They are two good players who I love and I think are very good footballers."

Meanwhile, Wenger has rushed to the defence of Pascal Cygan who has come under heavy criticism following his display aginst Bolton Wanderers in The Premiership last weekend.

The Frenchman has been deployed in an unfamiliar left back role and struggled at The Reebok Stadium.

"Sometimes critics look at easy targets," countered Wenger. "I don't think Cygan had a bad game.

"I am ready to discuss that subject with people who criticise him and analyse the game with them."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can he not think that Cygan was totally abysmal?

Plus Trabelsi and Pienaar will be available on bosmans next summer, potential signings?

De Jong play at LB? Not got FM loaded up atm. We'll need a solid player to replace Coley.

Pienaar looks fs. Trabelsi will come in only if Lauren is off too. Unless Wenger is thinking of shifting Lauren as a CM for next season.

As for the Cygan defending, Wenger can't come out and say, your guff Cygan. It would KILL Cygan's confidence, well, any shread of it he might have left.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesc Fabregas The Phenom:

De Jong play at LB? Not got FM loaded up atm. We'll need a solid player to replace Coley.

Pienaar looks fs. Trabelsi will come in only if Lauren is off too. Unless Wenger is thinking of shifting Lauren as a CM for next season.

As for the Cygan defending, Wenger can't come out and say, your guff Cygan. It would KILL Cygan's confidence, well, any shread of it he might have left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think de Jong is the classic Ajax utility player- pretty much everywhere across defence and midfield.

Didn't he score his first European/Ajax goal at Highbury?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Lens forward Jussie has been watched by Arsenal scouts, according to sources in France.

The Brazilian, full name Jussie Ferreyra Vieira, impressed watching Highbury observers during last month's clash with Paris Saint Germain at Parc des Princes.

Lens won 4-3 with Jussie one of the goalscorers, and it has been claimed that Arsenal will continue to monitor his form as he adapts fully to life in Ligue 1.

The former Brazil Under-21 international left Cruzeiro to try his luck in France, after a previous spell in Japan with Kawisha Reysol in 2003.

Arsene Wenger has built a reputation for unearthing gems from European leagues, particularly his native France, and the 22-year-old will be looking to maintain his current progress in order to catch the Gunners manager's eye. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nearly got a Viera, now maybe a Vieira. \o/

An extract from the match report of the Ajax game.

You know the bit I'm loving tbh icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Inspiration came after 42 minutes in the unlikely shape of centre-back Philippe Senderos as he skipped past two tackles before feeding Henry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Swiss Tony ROCKS.

• SI Staff

That run from Seneros was ffffb.

Reyes has been ruled out of the Newcastle game on Saturday after getting injured last night.

Next round of the CL we can get:

Bayern Munich

Werder Bremen

PSV

Benfica

Real Madrid

Rangers

Anyone but Bayern and Madrid i guess?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lauren continues at left back after Cygan's injury lingers

Lauren is set to become the fourth left back used by Arsène Wenger in the Premiership this season.

The right back will switch flanks for the trip to Newcastle on Saturday after Pascal Cygan's groin problem extended beyond last night’s Champions League tie with Ajax.

The left back position has been cursed by ill-fortune this season. Ashley Cole played the first seven Premiership games before suffering a stress fracture in his foot, Gael Clichy featured for the following four and then went down with the same problem. Cygan took over the mantle for the League matches against Wigan, Blackburn and Bolton. The Frenchman was omitted from last night’s game as a precaution but it seems his malady has lingered on. At least Lauren got some practice in an unfamiliar position against the Amsterdam outfit.

In addition, Jose Antonio Reyes picked up a thigh problem against Ajax and will miss the Newcastle game. Dennis Bergkamp (hamstring) is also unlikely to recover in time. Clichy and Cole will not be seen until the New Year.

“Pascal Cygan will be out so will Dennis Bergkamp,†Wenger told Arsenal TV Online. "Dennis will not be long but Pascal’s problem is a groin. It is not a strain but an inflammation, I don’t know how long he will be out at the moment.

“Lauren can do the job [at left back]. He did well against Steve Peinaar [of Ajax] who is a good player. I was pleased with him. He is not naturally left-footed but at the moment we don’t have a lot of choice.â€

There is better news about Reyes.

“The damage is not big but he will be out for three, four or five days,†said Wenger. “He will be ruled out against Newcastle but should be back into contention for the Chelsea game.â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

Best injury news ever

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ollers Kenners:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lauren continues at left back after Cygan's injury lingers

Lauren is set to become the fourth left back used by Arsène Wenger in the Premiership this season.

The right back will switch flanks for the trip to Newcastle on Saturday after Pascal Cygan's groin problem extended beyond last night’s Champions League tie with Ajax.

The left back position has been cursed by ill-fortune this season. Ashley Cole played the first seven Premiership games before suffering a stress fracture in his foot, Gael Clichy featured for the following four and then went down with the same problem. Cygan took over the mantle for the League matches against Wigan, Blackburn and Bolton. The Frenchman was omitted from last night’s game as a precaution but it seems his malady has lingered on. At least Lauren got some practice in an unfamiliar position against the Amsterdam outfit.

In addition, Jose Antonio Reyes picked up a thigh problem against Ajax and will miss the Newcastle game. Dennis Bergkamp (hamstring) is also unlikely to recover in time. Clichy and Cole will not be seen until the New Year.

“Pascal Cygan will be out so will Dennis Bergkamp,†Wenger told Arsenal TV Online. "Dennis will not be long but Pascal’s problem is that he is absolutely rubbish at the moment. It is not a strain on me but I don’t know how long he will be out at the moment - hopefully a long time!

“Lauren can do the job [at left back]. He did well against Steve Peinaar [of Ajax] who is a good player. I was pleased with him. He is not naturally left-footed but at the moment we don’t have a lot of choice.â€

There is better news about Reyes.

“The damage is not big but he will be out for three, four or five days,†said Wenger. “He will be ruled out against Newcastle but should be back into contention for the Chelsea game.â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

Best injury news ever </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Van Persie delight at new deal

Arsenal have reportedly agreed a new long term deal with impressive young forward Robin van Persie, with the player expressing his delight at extending his stay in North London.

The Dutch starlet has emerged as a strong rival to veteran compatriot Dennis Bergkamp this season, and has hit the goal trail with eight strikes in his last ten games.

Reports from Holland indicate The Gunners have now reached agreement with van Persie for a new and improved contract that will run until 2011.

The 22-year-old, signed from Feyenoord in the summer of 2004, has been heralded as a future superstar by prominent figures at Highbury, and van Persie has indicated his delight at agreeing on his extended deal.

"I am extremely pleased with my life over here," van Persie told Algemeen Dagblad.

"Arsenal is a formidable club.

"We have found the ideal house and with my new contract I don't have to worry about other things than football.

"That is exactly what I want, to focus only on training and playing matches to become an even better player."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great news, he really has come on leaps and bounds this season especially after all the rape stuff in the summer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

YES!!!! Best news I've heard all day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs but for the new deal for Van Persie. icon14.gif

patience is the big thing, we need to give the kids like fabregas and senderos a chance to gain the experience they need, we need to give new guys like hleb and van persie time to settle in, we need to give wenger a chance to do something in the transfer market to bring in the players needed to fill in the gaps we have atm.

get things in perspective. worst case scenario is that we miss out on 4th, for that to happen teams like spurs and bolton need to ourperform us and i just can't see that happening, i'm confident we'll start stringing results together soon enough, even without additions to the squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Not really, but i'm not gonna argue with you.

We're 'first eleven' players short, not squad players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But so were we.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

to me thats the same thing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

But so were we. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't in reference to todays game mate.

er what why do we have to move a level? lets see what the league table says at the end of the season but going on the last 8 seasons its liverpool who have to do the moving

anyway, lets talk CL mates icon_cool.gif

the possible options for the last 16 draw for us are:

bayern - no thanks

werder bremen - YES PLEASE

benfica - YES PLEASE

Rangers - icon_biggrin.gif

PSV - might be tricky but i'd back us to beat them

Real - beatable

winning the group certainly has given us a better chance than finishing second...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

Ratinho: What will it take to move you guys to the level that will better Liverpool as you seemed to believe might happen in the Liverpool v Boro thread? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? Giddy.....5 times...yada yada....

And HOVI, would you say Porto were strong enough to win it? I don't think we will, but most teams left (i'd exclude Ajax (they really looked poor), Rangers....) could win it on their day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jongi:

Ratinho: What will it take to move you guys to the level that will better Liverpool as you seemed to believe might happen in the Liverpool v Boro thread? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? Giddy.....5 times...yada yada....

And HOVI, would you say Porto were strong enough to win it? I don't think we will, but most teams left (i'd exclude Ajax (they really looked poor), Rangers....) could win it on their day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

porto where better organised though and a had system that worked for them.

we at the moment do not have a system that works for us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

er what why do we have to move a level? lets see what the league table says at the end of the season but going on the last 8 seasons its liverpool who have to do the moving

anyway, lets talk CL mates icon_cool.gif

the possible options for the last 16 draw for us are:

bayern - no thanks

werder bremen - YES PLEASE

benfica - YES PLEASE

Rangers - icon_biggrin.gif

PSV - might be tricky but i'd back us to beat them

Real - beatable

winning the group certainly has given us a better chance than finishing second... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Werder Bremen are playing some incredible football, I'd take Real Madrid and PSV over them in a heartbeat.

Archived