Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah never thought of it in terms of Seville. Maybe he will sign a new contract and then just demand to be transferred next summer? All sounds a bit dodgy to me and I am just longing for a 'routine' transfer rather than having everything get drawn out all the time.

Its not a case of him being out of contract next year, its a rule in Spain where a player who joined a club when they were under 23 and been at the club for 3 years or more is allowed to leave.

The value is much less than their market value, and if the clubs cannot negotiate a fee a tribunal is necessary. Some reports seem to think they could lose him for as little as 500k next year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsenal target Julio Baptista has decided he wants to stay at Sevilla.

"I want to stay with Sevilla for one more season," the 23-year-old Brazilian striker was quoted as saying by the Daily Mail newspaper.

"Then I will be able to gain dual nationality and become a European citizen. If I went to Arsenal now, I would not be able to."

Arsenal and another unnamed Premiership club, reported to be Tottenham, have had bids for Baptista turned down.

Real Madrid and Barcelona are also thought to be interested in Baptista, a member of Brazil's squad in their recent Confederations Cup triumph.

Baptista's current deal with Sevilla runs out in 2008 and he has rejected a new one.

That prompted Arsenal's interest but Sevilla threatened to report the Gunners to Fifa after it was claimed Arsene Wenger had spoken to the player without the Spanish club's permission.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

that would f*ck Seville over though, I think they will say sign a contract or go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vidoy:

In all fairness tho its our fault we should have sealed this deal ages ago instead of trying to get him cheaper.

On a brighter note, few pics of Ashburton Grove. Looks the dogs, really cant wait icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks a bit bare tbh icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vidoy:

In all fairness tho its our fault we should have sealed this deal ages ago instead of trying to get him cheaper.

On a brighter note, few pics of Ashburton Grove. Looks the dogs, really cant wait icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks a bit bare tbh icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah ray parlour:

has the 6 shirt actually been retired or is it that they just havent given out that number yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just that no one has been given it yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty sure they retired the number 6 after Tone retired.

They won't retire Vieira or Dennis' shirts because they aren't "one-club men" like Tone was.

Doubt Ash won't be either..... icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah ray parlour:

has the 6 shirt actually been retired or is it that they just havent given out that number yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just that no one has been given it yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doubt Ash WILL be either..... icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

god knows, probably waiting to see if real or juve offer him what he thinks he should have been offered last season </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come one Real and Juve! icon_mad.gif

Let's get this bloke out the door and get this annual farce over and done with for good. He' wanted to leave for years...

Not that it matters, apparently.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Juventus transfer mogul Luciano Moggi has denied that the Serie A giants are chasing Arsenal midfielder Patrick Vieira.

A notoriously slippery communicator, Moggi has expressed his admiration for the France captain in the past, but insists that his recent trip to London was completely unrelated.

"There have never been any negotiations over Vieira," he told L'Equipe. "I went to London for other players, not Vieira.

"Yes, I met with (Arsenal Coach) Arsene Wenger, but that's because he's a friend of mine – not to discuss Vieira's transfer."

The director general's latest comments are unlikely to end the speculation, but could indicate that their bid for the 29-year-old has failed, either because Juve are unwilling to meet Arsenal's asking price or because the player himself has rejected the move.

Vieira has often said in the past that he is unwilling to pursue his career in Italy after suffering racial abuse during his time at Milan, and on his travels with Arsenal since then.

Meanwhile, Moggi also rubbished rumours that Juventus have received an offer from Chelsea for France striker David Trezeguet.

"Chelsea have never approached us. The newspapers talk about a £37m offer, but that's the newspapers for you. Chelsea have made no offer and, besides, Trezeguet isn't for sale.

"He's 28, we're very happy with him and he can play at the highest level for a long time to come.

"We let Zidane go to Real four years ago, but he was 30. We wouldn't have let him go before that."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bouncerboy13:

SWP will be an Arsenal player next season </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phew - thanks for letting us know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Vieira has often said in the past that he is unwilling to pursue his career in Italy after suffering racial abuse during his time at Milan, and on his travels with Arsenal since then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think what paddy meant to say is that they don't pay as much in italy as in spain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bouncerboy13:

Phew - thanks for letting us know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always ready and able to share my information with you. Nice to be appreciated

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

Phew - thanks for letting us know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aren't you in charge of texting Senegal with all breaking news over transfers ? icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Villarreal have stepped up their interest in Arsenal star Gilberto Silva - although they have been firmly rebuffed in their advances so far.

Although Arsenal look unlikely to sell the midfielder, the likelihood of Patrick Vieira staying with The Gunners has increased Villarreal's optimism over signing Gilberto.

With the player's agents indicating that he is happy at Highbury, Villarreal may be forced to look elsewhere as they seek a replacement for departing Sebastian Battaglia.

Gilberto looked on the verge of joining Villarreal before his displays at the World Cup lured Arsenal into making a bid that brought him to England.

The Spanish club believe that the promise of a regular starting spot and UEFA Champions League football may force a change of heart from the Brazilian.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

another pointless non story

• SI Staff

And

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Spanish club believe that the promise of a regular starting spot and UEFA Champions League football may force a change of heart from the Brazilian. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has that with us already. Pretty desperate journalism icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the likelihood of Patrick Vieira staying with The Gunners has increased Villarreal's optimism over signing Gilberto. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

Aren't you in charge of texting Senegal with all breaking news over transfers ? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes - but since nothing has happened, I haven't texted him. Perhaps I should - just to tell him that nothing has happened. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

Aren't you in charge of texting Senegal with all breaking news over transfers ? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes - but since nothing has happened, I haven't texted him. Perhaps I should - just to tell him that nothing has happened. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh yeah something along the lines of:

Rob

***Breaking News***

Arsenal have have agreed personal terms with a world-class player,

Nonaminho Nobodio De Silva who was born in Dosenexistia, from the

mighty Invisible FC for £0m up front, £0m after appearances and

£0m after successful trophy wins. Arsene Wenger is delighted and

is also confident that the Dosenexistian international will bring

absolutely nothing to the club. There could be work-permit problems

however, as Nonaminho is unlikely to receive one due to the process

probably taking forever, literally.

More to follow...

Sorry, I'm bored. icon_frown.gif

Changing the tone a little but...

Just read Fever Pitch for the second time , what a book, so much of his life stuff rings true with me not just the Arsenal related parts (although it all seems to relate back to Arsenal in the end!) Has anyone ever seen Nick Hornby at Highbury ? I get the impression he sits in the West Bank but i used to have a season ticket there and never spotted him. Also how cool would it be for him to write about the Wenger era? I got a version of Fever Pitch in my silver memebership pack with his updated forward basically saying how spolit we are now at Highbury. I would love him to write about the Wenger years although maybe his life outside isn't so interesting now?

Beings our last game of the season is Wigan ( no general sale tickets there) anyone got any thoughts on what might happen at the end of the game ??

Zlatan wouldnt come to Arsenal now anyway. He had the chance before he joined Ajax. Wenger had already given him the number 9 shirt, then it went downhill, not sure what happened to be honest </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC, Wenger said that Zlatan wouldn't make it at Arsenal and was basically too much of a cocky t0sser. Hence the 'war of words' they had at some CL group stage a while back.

Goodness gracious me icon_eek.gif, Check out thislink if you haven’t seen young Quincy Owusu Abeyie’s performance in the match between Holland U20and- Japan U20. It’s a massive 21mb for a 3 mins clip but the quality is ace and it’s a must see if you missed the highlights of this match. icon14.gif

Do we really need more players? When you actually list our squad for next season we have at least two very good players for every position. If we sign SWP for example, how will we keep Pires, Reyes, Hleb & Ljungberg happy? We have been linked with plenty of forwards so why did we extend Bergkamp’s contract and surly this will hinder Van Persie and Quincy’s development. Some of you insist we need a right back but both Eboue and Hoyte need first team football to progress. Will Fabregas and Flamini get games if we sign another to central midfielder?

GK Jens Lehmann

GK Manuel Almunia

RB Lauren

RB Emmanuel Eboue

RB Justin Hoyte

LB Ashley Cole

LB Gael Clichy

CB Sol Campbell

CB Kolo Toure

CB Philippe Senderos

CB Pascal Cygan

CB Johan Djourou