Premiership Glory 2011 Clan

alvaan

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil - Fiorentina

Been a crazy 6 months at Fiorentina. I have major problems, which is that the board are crazy!!!! We have a loan debt of 60mil (club valued at 64mil) so I thought that I needed to sort out my finances so out went all my high earners (e.g.Jovetic for 24mil). It seems as soon as I did that the chairman gave us a Chairman loan of 28mil, then in the middle of June he gave us another chairman loan of 35mil!!!! So i have 30mil in the bank + all of my sales which is roughly 35mil + excess wage budget!!! I thought this season was gonna be rough so ive already signed a whole new team through free transfers, but they were more of a survival strategy to get throught the season. Hopefully the board will give me a half decent budget, although we are now building a new stadium and training facilities.

We finished a lowly 12th (took over when 16th) which is not good, but we managed to win the Italian Cup beating Juventus in the final, which of course gives us passage into europe next season.

Well really need my budget day now just to see what the chairman has in store for us this season, with a budget of 30mil + I should be able to crack the top 4 (hopefully)

Phil

Étienne Fougére - Sheff Wed

The season's over, and drew to it's inevitable climax, although there was some excitement on the last day as we missed out on claiming fifth by goal difference. Man Utd had imploded and were there for the taking, but we could only muster a final day draw.

Snapshot:

League: 6th, predicted: 12th

Cup: 3rd round, lost to Nathan

LC: no-one cared

The squad:

Gk - hennessy, diogo, mulders. Hennessy is a good solid prem keeper, but not top class. Diogo deputised well, he could be class. Mulders was a late January signing, and should be class

Rb - ramaciotta and clyne. The latter played more and did well. The former is the guy I have my hopes pinned on long term.

Lb - robertinho and Rodriguez. The former is only 21 but it feels like he's been here forever. Class act. The latter was on loan and barely got a game.

Cb - Guevara, Tomkins, Pepe, and Hobbs. G and P are the future but play better alongside T or H.

CM - Prodan, campos, cicek, costa, marquinhos. Prodan has not settled well and has been troublesome. Campos has been a star turn and will get better. Cicek has not got going, but has shown glimpses. Costa has enjoyed a good spell on loan and Marquinhos has done ok when called in.

Wings - Diaz and kocourek are world class youngsters and would walk into any side. The depth is lacking as Dzsudzsak and Morrison are not good enough as wingers for the highest level.

CF - Ramon, giradi, carbonaro, and Lascaux. All are young. All are full of potential. Only Ramon is consistent.

My side is young, 9 of my best xi (i.e. hennessey & Tomkins excluded) are 23 or under! In fact they're averaging 20 yrs. old.

Transfers:

I've had a few lined up waiting to come of age:

Gilson - str (18)

Gilson - drc (18) (yes really! I have signed two players called Gilson and both similar ages and both from Palmerias!)

Sandoval - lw (18)

I was not sure about a left back who my scout rated highly, so I've loaned him to get a better look. So full backs wise I'm hoping gilson and the loanee left back can provide adequate cover to the existing trio, with clyne's versatility key. At right wing cristian thinks a lot of himself after u19 exploits and his agent wants a new £56k a week contract, which is unbelievable bearing in mind he 17 year old has yet to play. He will make his debut shortly. Dzsadszak will compete with Sandoval to provide back up to Diaz. So Diaz and Kocourek will start, Dzsudzsak and Morrison will provide experienced back-up with new recruit James Milner (33 yrs old on a free and can play MC, AML and AMR) and hopefully the two youngsters will be ready for blooding in Europe.

Upfront we've lost Lascaux on loan. He needs a full season under his belt to see if he can go up another level to be properly competing for a first team berth next season. I hope he follows Costa's lead, as I had written off the portugese and the loan spell was a last throw of the dice, Lascaux is 3 years older than Coasta was, has much better attributes, but like Coasta will just not seize a place. We had hoped to add a 18 yr old from Nathan to our ranks to be the fourth choice striker, which would mean a lot of games with a European Campaign, but Nathan pulled out of the transfer at the last minute and so we've not seen eye to eye since. I could easily afford to pay for the striker, as I have not used any of my transfer budget, and have a big sum ringfenced. Gilson (the striker will need a nickname to distguinish him from the defender) will fill the void as fourth choice striker. I'm toying with the idea of playing 1 up top and having an extra cm. This is made more attractive by the return of costa who looks much improved after his year on loan. I have 5 good cms and 3 good strikers so should be able to vary my tactics and keep things fresh and strong.

The key words this summer are stability and continuity, after my spat with Nathan led to me missing my only real target, and my failure to identify a good youngster immediately ready for first team football (mainly in Europe against weaker opposition) I decided to leave things as they were. I have had a high turnover of staff in the previous 9 windows and it was time to let this team continue to grow together. Instead I ensured Campos (my midfield lynchpin) was tied down to a long term deal, without any minimum fee release clause and so ended 12 months of heated negotiations with his unscrupulous agent. He is now on £96k a week, and as my best player, I can't really begrudge him that. All my first team now have long term deals, or are in the case of Hobbs, Hennessey or Tomkins, coming to the end of their careers. I have a considerable sum ready for reinforcements in the January window if things go wrong.

Goals:

Lge: Media say 10th, I've told the board 6th, I'm aiming personally for the top 4, beating the AI.

Europe: I hope to cruise through the early round with a young reserve / fringe side, before bringing in the big guns for the later rounds. However, should I be battling for anything in the league, then I will have no hesitation in sacrificing this competition by playing my reserves further in order to keep my first team fresh.

Cups: Board want 5th round in FAC and are not bothered about the LC. I'm not bothered about either and will play my reserves and only reconsider this stratergy should I reach the latter stages without having the League or Europe to worry about.

Predictions:

Nathan - winner, but Kim is pushing hard, and will overtake him eventually.

Kim - will come up just short once more.

Jim - time for Jim to bridge the gap, but he'll do well to get close, third for him.

Geir - thin squad, but some quality, just outside the play-offs once more.

Joe - midtable medicority was almost invented by the irishman, what else can we predict?

Paul - looking to push onto the play-offs but will come up short.

Fred - back to his days of midtable against the odds, methinks, certainly will not go up.

Davie - almost cocked up his promotion campaign by only making the play-offs. No chance he will be consistent enough to stay up, and sacked by Christmas.

Belly - tough job on his hands, but low expectations, midtable.

Stuart - it will be a major feat to get the Shrews promoted, but I have faith in Stu, the most promoted manager.

Anton - has been talking himself up, but had a distrasterous window and I believe he didn't get everyone in he expected to, midtable for him too.

Will - the crazy one will have another rollercoaster season and where he finishes no one will know. I expect him to keep his job and be below the play-offs but stay in the top half. He's got a load of old and expensive (?) players, financial troubles ahead?

Mike - who cares about Italy? The failure should come home.

Man City - a collapse?

One of the things to watch with interest this season is how Man City come out of their recent troubles. There can be no doubt that the once unbeatable side are struggling. They lost 3 out of 6 league games at the end of last season in the crucial run-in, almost surrendering the title to Kim from what appeared to be an unassailable position, but hung on through a narrow victory over Jim, and as Kim lost, the final 5 point gap made it look far more comfortable than it was.. They then lost the Champions League Final to Kim. And that was that, Nathan spent in the summer, the gaps were plugged, the team reinforced, and ready once more to steamroller it's way to another inevitable title, as whilst Kim could beat any team on his day, Nathan's was such that even in the middle of a big injury crisis, it had enough strength in depth to be able to easily beat every side outside of the top four. This season normal service would resume and Nathan would romp away once more ... surely ... well no, not quite. We are only, yes only, 3 games into the new season, but Nathan has already slipped up twice. He's won one, drawn one and lost one so far. That invincibility appears to have gone, and he must be wondering how he recovers it once more. Nathan will be perplexed at how the best defence in Europe was breached four times at home as they slipped to a crushing defeat, and it now seems that both Kim and I have the measure of him in head to head games. I have personally (i.e. not the assistant) beat him in all of our last 4 meetings in the league. This excludes a drubbing in the cup and a drubbing meted out to my assistant in the league last season. Nathan's form over the last 10 league games reads 4 wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats, mid table form at best, and hardly the stuff of invincible champions. This is not the end of the world but is cause for concern and highlights that his evil empire is not as secure as it once was.

citycollapse.jpg

Saying all this, I fully expect Nathan to win the league. However, the cracks have appeared and the invincibility has gone. Now it is time for Jim to step up to the plate and take his best shot at Nathan to join Kim in turn ing up this pressure, and who knows, perhaps the Man City board will demand perfection, which it is currently not getting, and so relieve Nathan of his duties. Nathan has had it easy so far, no one has put any pressure on him, until now. Nathan will be feeling the challenge, perhaps he will relish it and thrive to the extent of rejuvenating a flagging will. Surely one can only keep going to win the title with such ease, year after year, after year, after year, after year, and maybe this challenge, this period of pressure, is what Nathan needs to get a greater hunger to get himself ready for the fight once more.

One thing Man City will be relieved about is the table. Liverpool were beaten by Newcastle, and so Jim is not too far ahead of Nathan. Newcastle themselves have had a tough start and like City have only 4 points. Man Utd have started well, Arsenal have not, Sheff Wed are doing ok, but lost at home to Villa, which means that it is the perennially underachieving Spurs who finally are at the right end of the table and leading the way.

Next week should be eventful.

that little ramble there seemed more hopeful that his empire was crumbling than actual evidence, it still is only 3 games after all

There are signs Joe, such as the last 10 league games, which show the aurora of invincibility is gone and we have proved he can be got at. We just need to do so on a more regular basis.

Kim - Newcastle

It's a beautiful spring night in May, and I've just picked up my first proper trophy with Newcastle; the Champions League! After a thrilling final that ended in a draw after ET. vs Nathan, we outshot him on penalties once again, to claim our second cupwin of the season. Forward a couple of months, and we've now played about 10 games into the new season, and we're once again back at losing to Nathan. Back to back defeats in the Community Shield and Premier League in our first two games of the season saw us off to a rather terrible start. Add to that a home draw to lowly Spurs plus a draw away to Forest, and it's not been the best of starts.

On the other hand we did win the European Super cup against Barcelona, which ensures us a ticket to the World Club Cup later this year. We're sitting 3rd in the league now after 5-6 games, and we're only 3 points off the top, so it aint all bad I suppose. We set a new league record with a 10-1 drubbing of Stoke, and the fans were chanting on for us to score 11 like we did against Man Utd in the CL semi's last season.

So, what will this season bring then? Well, I think it's gonna be Nathan's again unfortunately this season, but it looks like it's gonna be even tighter this season. Nathan's form is not the best at the moment, so we need to pick up as many points as we possibly can, as his moneytrain surely will pick up pace sooner rather than later and just steamroll his way through the league.

The aim this season is to retain the Champions League title, win the World Club Cup and the league. The youngsters and fringe players will be fielded heavily in both the CL group stages, the league cup and the FA cup this year, so beware of any slipups here!

--Kim

Étienne Fougére - Sheff Wed

We're off to a stuttering start. After beating Nathan we lost to Jim and drew with Spurs. We thrashed Stoke and Wolves. We're up to 5th in the table, behind Jim (2nd) and Kim (3rd), but ahead of Nathan. In Europe, I refused to prioritise the Europa League, much to the dismay of the fans, and my young side were cruelly beaten by Celtic thanks to a late goal. However, we bounced back with a convincing win against Standard Liege. We have also advanced in the MickeyMouse Cup. Hopefully my side can now find some consistency. One area of concern is where the goals are coming from, we beat Wolves 7-0, but Ramón got one. There was two each for my wingers and Cicek belted in another two, to make it six goals from midfield. Whilst it's great to share your goals around, you worry about strikers having droughts, and Carbonaro is prone to going 10 games without a goal. Giradi has done well when deputising for Ramón and maybe the time has come for the Ramón and Giradi combination to be given another chance. Meanwhile, young Cristian, the 17 year old who wanted £54,000 per week is set to sign a new contract for 5 more seasons at 10% of that demand, and he's been in some form in the EL and Cups this season.

--Steve

Joe- Watford

Yes still stuck in League One, for all my worrying about avoiding Pauls Yeovil in the playoffs I ran into barnsley, cruised through the away leg and won it at a canter 2-0, then somehow my team contrived to lose the home leg 4-0. Bloody playoffs.

So some new backups brought in and largely keeping the same starting side i've had these last 2 seasons (which i'll come to later) I went into the season and ran headlong into some technical trouble, half not my fault half utterly self inflicted so wasn't actually in control of my side for the 1st 2 games and my useless new assistant screwed up losing both and getting my starting lb injured for 4 months, then lost the following league game myself to a flukey goal and what a fantastic start, 3 played lost 3 only scored once and conceded 5 along the way and bottom of the league. Just as nightmares of possibly having to return to league 2 were dancing in my mind which were not helped as my team defending the paint bucket lost to league 2 crawley after taking a 2-0 lead and managing to concede 3 times in 10 minutes thus went out. However something odd then happened, my team woke up and went on to win the following 7 league games putting me top of the league after being bottom. Not insignificant wins either beating then league leaders aldershot 3-0 at their place to put me top and a first for me, beating Paul 2-0 away. Oh and beat davie too but thats not worth shouting about. So for the moment things are looking good for Watford, but still expect a few screw ups to head my way.

now onto my team

Gk: Larkins, had him when I came to watford and I thought i'd have to replace him after promotion, boy was I wrong hes come on leaps and bounds and is one of the best keepers in the league

RB Jenkinson, one of my old players from bradford, when I signed him there he was (like most of my defence at the time) useless in league 2 however he's miles better now after I picked him up on a free to originally cover the pos but now firmly my starting rb.

CB Grandison, best defender in league 1 in my opinion the guys awesome another that was there pre my arrival to watford. Comes up with vital goals from set pieces.

CB Broadfoot, picked him up for 30k odd I think upon promotion to league 1 and worth every penny, a very solid defender and struck up a great partnership with Grandison

Lb Oshodi a more than capable lb already present when I arrived, originally backup to (the now departed) matt sadler but form put him firmly as my 1st choice lb. Currently out for another 2 months.

Dm Myler Picked him up on a free upon promotion and originally back up to another dm (whose name escapes me) but after he was sold (for 200k odd too) he became my 1st choice dm solid.

Cm Berret solid and comes up with the occasional goal, another already there when I came

Cm Waters, a youth player when I arrived and boy has he come on leaps and bounds becoming one of the best in the league in his position. To think I almost released him.

RW Buckley, legend, (literally) my best player and provides me so much from that right wing position I love him to bits, scored loads and sets up a fair few as well. currently injured for 2 months

LW Ferguson Another I had at Bradford where he was inconsistent but now has (hate to repeat myself) come on leaps and bounds after I picked him up on a free, my favourite player in my squad. sets up loads and scores a few

St Montano, one I don't know how to feel about him on the one hand he offers loads going forward bringing my midfield and wingers into play and great for counter attacking with his speed just legging it from one end to the other. However hes quite capable of missing an open net or scoring a screamer. Had him at bradford (where they sold him after I left) and picked him up for a costly enough 100k but I think its been worth it.

Joe

hmmm how the hell can morecambe go from 7th to 17th they wer 7 pts from top now 16 wen im on i win or draw mostly win but wen im not im losing somthing not rite there

Because there's 4 point gap between 5th place and 18th place

Will - Morecambe

after bringing in alot of players that played at the highest level for the best teams in football and still full of talent it looks as tho the gamble is starting to kick the team down back with a promising start for the part of the season we hovered in and out of 5th, 7th and 3rd now sitting in 17th maby its the age of the players taking its toll on the morale is low in the camp to so every game is a battle but when it is me and not the ass man in charge the team morale and results improve so im now going to have to look for a better ass man we were predicted to finish in 17th but i felt that with the plays that i brought in we would be pushing for the title now its looks like we will be luck to get in to the playoffs as its so tight that season but then i never liked it the easy way i like things tight keeps the team pushing for better and keeps my wits about me and on my toes.

I had a meeting with the players to find out wat teams inspire them and to my surprise they all said newcastle due to last season and this season they like the hunger and determination showen by them in all games even if there down and out so thats that but we must try to install that at this club we have had our fair share of ups and downs and to be honest i still really feel we cant top league 2 or at least gain an auto promotion but thats all down to how the team plays and if they work hard they will reap the benefits of that.

last season i joined and my sole aim was mid table but finish just outside in 18th so this season is promotion and if we get that then its the 2nd time orund at morecambe i had guilded them to league 1 and that in its self is no mean feat it is a miracle.

Yep - Thanks for the 3 points will :p

Guess I should thank Steve's assistant for laying down as well, as we brushed Sheffield Wednesday aside with a 4-0 drubbing at home. (I guess Robertinho's red card didn't help out much either :) )

Guess I should thank Steve's assistant for laying down as well, as we brushed Sheffield Wednesday aside with a 4-0 drubbing at home. (I guess Robertinho's red card didn't help out much either :) )

You sabotaged my net!

Belly - Preston

Er - Highlights - Wins against Stu and Will

Due to the close positions of the teams in Lg2 we stormed to Playoffs but after a couple of defeats went back to 15th. Have stabalised some what in mid table obscurity.

Belly (Still adjusting to life back in league 2)

only coz i wasnt online lol

Belly - Preston

Er - Highlights - Wins against Stu and Will

Due to the close positions of the teams in Lg2 we stormed to Playoffs but after a couple of defeats went back to 15th. Have stabalised some what in mid table obscurity.

Belly (Still adjusting to life back in league 2)

Phil - Fiorentina

Well after all the childish nonsense in this thread I'll do a proper post.

Im prob 2 or 3 bad results from getting the sack. We sit in 12th, which on paper is not horrendous (Media prediction 11th) My board are not happy. The crux of the problem is that we cant beat the smaller teams ie we can get a point of most teams, we just cant get the full3, no matter if we deserve it or not.

Harry Boot has been awesome, and an ever present, on the LW where as the Expensive Marengo (30mil) has not performed at all really. All of my other signings seem to be able to play superbly in Euro Cup but when it comes to Serie A, just hide in their shell. Its time to perform.

We start with an away game to 11th place Torino. We must get a win, or i will be sacked, as there are no games for 2 weeks for Serie A and im sure ill be sacked. We than have Inter and then 2 teams in teh bottom 4 places. Really we should be gettin 9 points from these matches, if I can im sure ill still have a job.

Phil

Joe Watford

Stuff happened, I won some, drew a few, lost a few. Had a few injury problems but team fought through them and charged ever onward up the table and I currently sit joint top of the table only behind on goal difference. Don't expect it to keep up but you never know. Main problem remains scoring goals as i've had some draws i should have won by a country mile but defence remains solid enough.

Joe

when will you guys been accepting new members???

Time will tell. Posting on our gamethread, and not upholding the forum laws ain't exactly the way to go about if you're interested in joining

Looks fantastic guys. A thoroughly enjoyable read, so far.

Although, I'm considering not reading it if Leicester now get relegated from the Premiership... :p

Hehe, thanks for following mate. Maybe I should make Leicester my next club then? :)

Hehe, thanks for following mate. Maybe I should make Leicester my next club then? :)

Haha, good idea.

However, Man City's time at the top is almost up, I think. So keep in there with and get that league title! :)

will - morecambe

well it looks like my luck with morecambe has been and well and truly long time gone started the season very promising and now it has turned in to a disaster only 3 pts of relegation and proberly a sacking as well all looks very bleak at the club with only a few games left to stay up and survie and i no i said i like a challenge but i think this is going to be mission impossible as in the las 10 only won 1 and lost 9 not good at all

Sheffield Wednesday

League - sitting in 6th. We've been on and off form wise. We can get good results against big teams, but have struggled to beat those sides around us, spurs and villa. We've only lost one league game in ages.

FA Cup - we've got man utd in the 5th round

League Cup - we were beaten by the odd goal on aggregate by Jim in the semi final.

Europa league - we resume in the first knockout round proper against HSV

We're dong ok. We're very hard to beat. But we draw too many. When razor goes off the boil, we have no one else to step up and score the goals. In goal Hennessey has been off form. Diogo has done well when given a chance. But neither are error free. We need to stop conceding silly goals.

We appear to be some way off achieving the consistency required to break into the top 4.

Étienne

Guest Crazy Paddy

Having endured a season of consolidation in his first year at Prenton Park despite making a misfiring attempt at getting in the playoffs, Cronin realised that a top to bottom overhaul of the entire club was required in the summer and duly set about the task with a ferocity not seen for many a day at Tranmere..

Every player in the club bar the 8 deemed the future of the club, be they first team, reserve or youth, was summarily shown the door raising approximately £300k+ in much needed funds in an attempt to bring the clubs finances back from the brink. With loan repayments currently costing the club £900k a year, it is a near apocalyptic debt on such a small club. To put it in to context, last season's entire gate receipts amounted to circa £450k....

With a keen eye for talent and the purse strings pulled tighter than a camels arse in a sandstorm, Cronin set about the task of rebuilding from scratch. Alas, despite trying to convince over 100 players of the merits of his cause, only 4 signed in time for the start of the season, leaving Rovers with a squad of 12 + 2 academy graduates. All but the most ardent of fans must have feared for the club at that stage, wondering if Cronin's no nonsense methods were in the best interests of all concerned. A reasonable start to the season and the acquistion of 2 20 year old wingers with obvious ability, one left, one right, and a pacy left back assuaged those fears somewhat, but the possibility of a successful season could still lie at the mercy of any injuries whatsoever...

By Christmas, Rovers were 4th in the table, though this was not as outstanding an achievement as it may sound, with 3rd to 14th being covered by 5 points. A dreadful run of form against the stronger teams in the league towards the end of January looked like it was going to resign them to another season with nothing to play for.

However, a few confidence inspiring battling draws and wins soon restored Rovers belief and started the surge up the table which has now left them in the last playoff spot, with 2 home games against the bottom 2 teams in the league to play in their last 5 fixtures. The expectation of 6 points in those games has to be fulfilled of course, but even so, it does not look like it would be enough to keep them in contention for the playoffs. The remaining 3 games are against 3 of the teams above them in the league, 2 of them away, meaning that Rovers fans cannot yet allow themselves consider the prospect of promotion, such a short time into Cronin's reign....

Time, as the saying goes, will reveal all.....

Belly - Preston

Well - the word this week is inconsistency. We started off the season badly struggling down in about 20th. A run of wins saw us rise to 5th and in the playoffs. A change in form saw us lose several on the bounce and we fell to mid-table obscurity. Then again the Gods of Football Manager decided that Belly at Preston would find some form and wins some on the bounce again taking us up into the playoffs with a 4 point safety gap giving us the false impression of making the playoffs or even pushing for an automatic spot.

Alas the FM gods must of had a bad day as they decided that Belly and Preston would now go on a losing streak of 4 matches dropping us back down to midtable mediocrity. Due to the closeness of the league we can still make the playoffs should we put a run of wins together but i have no idea what mood the FM gods will be in next week.

However after my discraceful sacking at Port Vale i have now found my love for the game again and it is still however my first season with Preston so i know that if i miss out this season then i wont be far away next season.

Belly (Praying to the FM Gods)

Sky Sports News reporting

Goalmachines United

After seeing their team put 7 balls behind the AC Milan goalkeeper in a Champions League quarter final, the thoughts went back to those memorable nights last year against Man Utd. It wasn't quite as big of a thumping this night as the Toon were only able to score 7 compared to last years 11.

Early in his career, norwegian starlet manager Kim Andre Smedegard was accused of being a naive little boy in a big mans game. Pundits and media all over the British Isles were putting him in the same bracket as former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, and his reluctancy to sign any player with a resemblance of mental strenght and stability. Leaking goals from every orifice and constantly crumbling in the big games was the trademark for both Huddersfield and the early days at Newcastle.

So, what has changed? We met up with the manager to ask him about the extraordinary turnaround that the current Newcastle team has gone through.

Not much has changed really, other than maybe me and the players getting a few years older. You have to remember that when I first took over the club was in desperate need of improvements in every department; players, staff, facilities and especially trophies.

Since Smedegard took over there's been a massive change at St.James' Park. The coaching staff have all been replaced with new faces; from powerhouse coaches to well respected scouts and physios. There's been a total revamp of all and every aspect of the training and youth facilities, and the county board finally gave their blessing two years ago so that there is now a 60.000 all seater stadium in Newcastle.

There have been alot of changes up and down the club since you took over. To what extent have you had a finger in this?

-I like to get involved in the club I'm at. It's in my blood and in my DNA, and I have a very clear view on how football should be run. I try to take the best out of everything I encounter to make the greatest club we can possibly be. Yes, we have gotten some things wrong in the past, but we have learned our lessons and built on them..

You say you've learned from mistakes in the past, which mistakes do you see as the biggest, and what did you do to change it around?

-Some of the media quickly drew parallels between me and Arsene Wenger when I cam up with Huddersfield and at the start of my Newcastle career. I took that as a very positive comment, but I also thought about the things Wenger got wrong and I had a long hard look at the way I approached the game myself.

You are talking about the all-out attacking play and the constant use of young players even at a club like Huddersfield now?

-Yes. If you look at my time at Huddersfield, we achieved more than most had ever dreamed of with that club. We played one of the most entertaining football in the history of the english league, but to me personally it was a hard hard time. It still is from time to time even here at Newcastle, because the games are so intense and entertaining, it really gets my ticker going and the doctors have said to me to ease down

Your team has an average age of only 22-23 years, and as you said earlier you were quickly being looked at as a Wenger copy. Where do you see yourself compared to Wenger, and what do you see as the reason to your team winning titles and his not?

-First of all I'd like to say that I'm not a big fan of Wenger. Don't get me wrong, I think he played some fantastic football with his Arsenal side, but he couldn't win anything after losing the key players from the previous management. He failed to build from the back, and his team badly lacked any kind of leadership. That's the reason that I changed my style somewhat from Huddersfield to Newcastle, as I realised I was headed down that Wenger path, and I didn't want to end up another bitter old man without any legacy.

-We've now won the League cup twice in the time Liverpool has only won it once. We have won the Champions League, the European Super Cup and the World Club Championship. The fans of this magnificent club has finally after all the long years of waiting.

What is the reason that you have been succesful here at Tyneside?

-First and foremost this is a team effort. From the scouts that helped find such illoustrous talent as Scalie, Reyes, Pedro, Ruffini etc etc, the list goes on and on, to my right hand man Mark Bowen, or the board who has provided funds and stability in an ever rapidly changing market. Then of course it's all about making a team, built from the back to the front, with talent and leadership in every department. I think this is the key area wher my philosophy has differed from Mr.Wengers really. Where he looked for quick, technical players, I have looked for those with signs of great mental strength, determination and work rate. You don't stay long in my clubs unless you have those attributes.

There have been some voices saying you are just a one man team these last 5-6 seasons, with that man being Yannis Tafer. Do you agree with that?

-Of course I don't. You just have to look at the stats of the team to see that we are not a one man team. Yes, we have been blessed with the goalscoring rate of Yannis, but we still have 9 other outfield players on the pitch. We have now scored 108 league goals in 33 matches this season, and Tafer has bagged 40 of them. That's still 68 goals scored by other players. There is only one other team in this league who has scored more goals than 68, so even without Tafer we would be up there. There are teams who play destructive and boring football, and only care about not conceding, especially one of the managers calling us a one man team is in charge of such a destructive team. He should mind his own club, and instead of criticising others he should maybe try and get his own team scoring.

Where does the future lie for you and for Newcastle United?

-For Newcastle the future is bright. We are in the final four of the Champions League for the 2nd season running, and we are currently in first place in the league with only 5 games left. We are on an 18 game win streak in all competetions and we have Birmingham in the FA cup semi. We have a strong, hungry and young side of players, that will continue to flourish and will be the envy of almost any manager out there for years to come. As for myself, I constantly review my own work and I am always looking for new challenges.

Are you saying you might leave Tyneside this summer?

-You never know in this day and age, but at this point all I can say is that we are challenging for 3 titles, and me and the players are doing everything in our power to succeed!

Sheffield Wednesday Manager, Étienne Fougére, and his assistant Gary McAllister enter the board room of the club where they meet Chairman Ashley Carson, Managing Director Nick Parker, and directors Leon Stockdale, Geoff Hulley and Ant Coombes.

Come in Étienne, good to see you. Hi Gary, you look well … Sandra get them both some drinks, tea, coffee?

Merci, Monsieur Carson.

Right, let's get down to business. It's been 10 years now, I remember when you sat down where you are now, and Howard Wilkinson was in charge and sat where I am now. Yeah you were sat here then Nick, but Ant, Leon and Geoff were not. And Gary was most certainly not here then. You came in Étienne and give Howard a list, and I have that list here now. Let's review it shall we:

Étienne Fougére's 15 year plan to make Sheffield Wednesday the best club in Europe.

1. Stabilise the club’s finances (completed)

2. Rebuild the squad (completed)

3. Achieve promotion to the second tier within 2 years (completed)

4. Establish the club in the second tier within 4 years. (completed)

5. Achieve promotion to the top flight, within 6 years. (completed)

6. Establish and maintain top flight status within 8 years. (completed)

7. Achieve European qualification within 10 years. (completed)

8. Win a major cup within 12 years.

9. Win the Premier League within 15 years.

10. Win the Champions League within 15 years.

I see we are very much on course Étienne, but you have given yourself only 5 years now to deliver the league and the champions league, do you still think that you can do it?

Oui, Mr. Carson, I will bring glory to Sheffield.

What about winning a major cup?

Mr. Carson, I am confident we will be adding the Europa League to the cabinet come the end of May.

I hope so Étienne. What positions do we need to improve to become a League winning side?

Well that answer is simple, all of them. However, I feel that we have 90% of the team that will win us the league in place. Those players need to continue to grow and to improve. We need a top class goalkeeper and a pair of fullbacks. I have high hopes for the two teenage wingers, Cristian in particular, but maybe Sandoval will not become world class. Gilinho is already looking a class act upfront, but I suspect that we need someone of the calibre of young Razor to compliment him and truly make us Champions.

So what's our plan?

Well we need to sign a goalkeeper this summer. I have a few targets in mind, I just need you to give me the funds. The summer after I shall look for a full back, and then I feel we may need to look at a world class striker. I want to keep the squad more or less as it is now and add one major player each summer window.

So take me through the current squad …

Well if we start in goal, we have Hennessey, Diogo and Mulders. I think Hennessey is in decline and this is why I dropped him half way through the season. Diogo came in and did well, but he's some way off being a league winning goalkeeper. Mulders is 20 years old and needs to improve some. What do you think Gary?

At the moment I believe that there is not too much difference between Hennessey and Diogo, but Diogo has the potential to play at a higher level. Mulders isn't far from the standard of the other two, but can be as good as I think Diogo could be.

At fullback, we have Robertinho on the left. He is still only 22 years old, and is a captain. I think he can get even better. On the right we have Miguel Ramaciotti who is also 22 years old. He can get better also and be just as good as Robertinho could be. Nathaniel Clyne is an able deputy but we do need better and of course younger should we want to challenge for the title. Gilson Rosa can play both centre back and right back, hes only 18 and it remains to be seen where he will be best, but for now I will look to give him games at right back as he gains experience. Hopefully, young Adriano who finally arrives from Brazil in the summer can be good enough to make the first team. Olatoundé Missigbeto is already here in our youth team and at 16 years old should be a few years off making the first team, what's your opinion of the boy Gary?

He's a left back and I think he can be every bit as good as Robertinho.

In the middle we have 7 I want to mention. Rodrigo Guevara is world class, no doubt about that. Pepe is almost as good and is good enough to play in a league winning best xi. Then we have Tomkins and Hobbs. Both bring experience and consistency but they are a level or two below and getting old now. You remember I brought in some 15 year olds from France? Well we have Camille Cardi, a boy of 15 who is 6 foot 6 inches tall, he is a monster and Gary expects him to be every bit as good as Rodrigo. Rolly Diallo is the other boy and Gary thinks he can be every bit as good as Pepe. Right Gary?

Yes.

We also await the arrival of Gustavo in 26 months time. Hopefully he can add some further competition. So in defence we need a right back but Clyne can plug that gap for now.

Okay Étienne, I understand, one keeper this summer, a right back the year after. What about midfield?

Well we have Campos, Pavlo Prodan, Marquinhos, Vitor Costa, and Karl Cicek. I think they are all top class, and in particular we have Campos to sit deeper protecting the back four, and Cicek to play higher up pulling the stings. Costa is a young and able deputy for Cicek, whilst Prodan can deuptise for Campos and Marquinhos can play any position in the middle. Out wide I was worried at the start of the season. Dzsudzsak has got old and I will let him go at the end of his contract in a few weeks. Ariel Diaz has really come on this season and looks like he can get better still and he is clearly good enough to here for the long haul. Sandoval is the question, is he good enough? Gary?

Pablo is good enough for the Championship at the moment, but he could play at a similar level to Diaz in the future, and I believe his potential is such that it can lead him to becoming a leading Premier League winger in the future.

Clearly, Pablo is full of potential but is not good enough at the moment. And this is why we signed James Milner, James is 34 years old now, but he's playing for games now, not for big money. Is he good enough for next season Gary?

He's some way off the standard of Ariel Diaz.

Well I have some thinking to do in the summer, should I bring in someone else like James, or should I give Pablo some more playing time and nuture his talent? Well let's look at the right. Can you believe that Vaclav Kocourek is only 21 still Mr. Carson? Gary, how good is he and how good can he be?

Well I think Vaclav would be a leading star for most Premier League sides and can be even better.

I have given Cristian 22 games this season, despite the fact that he was only 17 at the start of the season, and I think he has played well more or less every time and I have a lot of hope for him in the future. I think we will continue to bring him through and we have James McCarthy in reserve if needs be. Next summer we will sign Cláudio from Botafogo when he turns 18. He can provide further competition.

So this brings us onto the strikers then Étienne?

Yes, we have Juan “Razor” Ramón, Daniele Girardi, Antony Lascaux, Luca “Pasta” Carbonaro, and Gilinho. Razor is a legend, and still only 21! Pasta needs to improve but can improve. When he plays he seems to allow the others to play better. Girardi has done well and I rate him highly, the only thing is 12 goals from 29 games, in the league and 28 from 45 overall is good but not great, and great is what we need from Girardi. At 24 he can get better. Antony is something of an enigma, he is fast, he is relatively strong for a little man, he has good anticipation and movement, he is a good dribbler, and most importantly finishes well. He has everything needed to be a top class striker, but he's failed to grasp his opportunities and we hoped that on loan with Wolves this season he would really develop with a full season of first team football. What do you think of him Gary?

He's some way off Razor's standard, but he would be a good striker for most Premier League sides and is the 4th best in our squad. He can get a little better in the future.

He has two years contract left, so we'll send him out on loan next year, and sell him the summer after unless he finally shows what he is about. More positively, in Lascaux's absence Gilnho was used more than expected, and scored 7 goals in 14 games, all the goals coming in the cup and European games. He looks good for the future.

Well I'm looking forward to next season Étienne and I'll work on getting a transfer kitty set aside. I think we'll have enough to fund getting in some young players, the keeper you want and who knows, maybe a top striker.

Ok, Mr Carson, you give the money I need and I'll deliver the club the glory it deserves.

Thanks for coming, and good to see you both again.

Stuart - Shrewsbury Town

Ill keep it short and sweet because if i start the rant at my team then i wont stop. We have been shocking this season we lose silly games to teams at the bottom of the league and then play other teams off the park. My side if more than good enough to go up this season yet we sit 9th with only an outside shot of the playoffs. the buck has to stop with me the manager, i have done all what i can for this club but maybe im not good enough to see them into league 1.

I will keep at it for as long as the board see fit to keep me but i think its another season of what if's.

More soon

Well great pompey go down to division 2 after 1 season in division 1 with me getting the sack again :( .Dont have a clue where i will be next season but i fancy going abroad for a wee shot maybe learn a new language or 2 .The english leagues dont seem to be working for me my style of football might be suited abroad .I can only hope

Archived