[RELEASE] The SOK Bumper Commentary Pack *UPDATED 27/08/10*

Jolly Oli

The SOK Bumper Commentary Pack 2010

Version 4

27th August 2010

Another 2,000+ lines of added commentary!

Yes, another 2,000. Another monthly update from the SOK team brings the number of added lines up to a super size 8,000 +. Classics, old favourites, Partridge quotes and many, many original lines that will liven up your match commentary.

The SOK Bumper Commentary Pack is an ongoing work and the team plan to provide an update on the last Friday of every month. As always we appreciate your input. If there are any lines you would like to see included in future versions or if you want to be kept informed of the latest developments email EatMySok@hotmail.co.uk.

Cheers!

*************************************************************************************************

Version 4 - 27th August 2010

Download links

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=2438

http://www.mediafire.com/?ntgtcqnbqtqtscn

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UW98LEE9

*************************************************************************************************

From the team that brought you the KROL commentary file back in 2005 comes a brand new commentary pack for Football Manager 2010.

Just to refresh your memory, the 2007 KROL file was developed over several years and included the work of the legendary Taipan. After we were contacted by Sports Interactive, parts of the file were later implemented in Football Manager 2006.

This year, we decided to bring the team back and work on a brand new commentary file, an aspect of the game which we feel has been a bit too generic and repetitive over the last few years.

Initially, we had problems with the pack but with the help of Seafire - whose new addition to the team came as a blessing in disguise - we were able to overcome these problems and successfully implement around 2000 modified commentary lines which we hope will enhance your gaming experience. These lines have been thoroughly tested and there have been no reported problems.

The new modifications to the commentary file include the following:

* More goal celebrations

* More in game comments involving the managers

* More in game comments involving the players

* More lines creating larger sense of drama for different occasions ie comebacks, winning a trophy/title

* Improved media references

* and much more....

Please be aware that this pack has been designed for English commentary only and will not work for any other languages.

Our main aim is to ultimately change every line of SI's original commentary, along with as many alternatives as we can in an attempt to provide the fans with as less repetitive a gaming experience as possible for each game.

We would welcome your feedback and in the meantime we will be starting work on Version 2.

************************************************** ***********************************************

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Find the ’events’ file on your hard drive by going to 'My Computer' and opening the C: drive.

Depending what, if any, update you’ve installed the path will be something like:

C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2010/data/updates/update-1030/data/events

Or for Steam users:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2010\data\events

Unzip the ‘events’ file in this download and simply replace the one in this folder. You might want to back it up first.

Don’t replace ‘match_sounds’.

If you have any problems please email EatMySok@hotmail.co.uk and we’ll do our best to help.

Jolly Oli, what is needed to make this work in Dutch too?

Must every line of text then be recreated / translated?

Yes, you'd have to create every line then translate it into Dutch if you wanted to display the commentary in the Dutch language.

If I understand correctly, that would be an awfull lot of work...

I might change to English then.

Another question:

If I use this in English and then change my game back to Dutch, what would then happen?

Will I only see the Dutch lines, or will my game crash?

Yes, it is an awful lot of work mate.

Don't take my word for it but I think if you were to play in English then switch to back to Dutch you may experience a crash as the game wouldn't be able to find the Dutch version of the commentary as it isn't there.

great work lads, you never cease to amaze me and your work always livens up my game. Can't wait to see what you produce for 2011 (although hopefully SI includes some of your work because the vanilla versions is usually awfully dry.)

Cheers buddy, it's good to know it's being well received. We've still got a few things 'up our sleeves' that's never been done in FM before but I'll say no more about that for now as it's still in the testing stage at the moment. We'll have to see what happens with that.

Meanwhile, work has started on version 5 of the commentary pack. Well, I say 'started' but the truth is that it's never stopped - we just carry on doing it then release what we have each month!

No, what I meant was that the game wouldn't be able to find the Dutch version of the commentary as it isn't there in our commentary.

I understand that Seafire, but the original Dutch lines, are then still in my game. Or not? So why should the game then crash?

Perhaps I am missing something essential here, but I don't quite understand it right now.

Sorry.

I understand that Seafire, but the original Dutch lines, are then still in my game. Or not? So why should the game then crash?

Perhaps I am missing something essential here, but I don't quite understand it right now.

Sorry.

Sorry if I confused you there.

If you used the SOK commentary file to play in English and then wanted to play in Dutch again, you'd have to replace the SOK file with the original SI file to do so.

If you didn't make a back up of SI's original file when you installed SOK, you can find a copy of it in either the update-1010/data/events or update-1020/data/events folders, assuming that you've installed these official patches.

Sorry again Jorgen, I hope the above is clearer.

Sorry if I confused you there.

If you used the SOK commentary file to play in English and then wanted to play in Dutch again, you'd have to replace the SOK file with the original SI file to do so.

If you didn't make a back up of SI's original file when you installed SOK, you can find a copy of it in either the update-1010/data/events or update-1020/data/events folders, assuming that you've installed these official patches.

Sorry again Jorgen, I hope the above is clearer.

Thanks Seafire.

I might try your update, but it is also possible that I keep my game Dutch.

Does version 4 include all of the previous versions? (meaning: are all 8000+ lines included, or do I need to get the previous versions as well?) cheers!

Yes, 4 does include all of the previous versions. Each version we release adds new lines to the previous one so you'll only ever have to download and install the current version.

I noticed your event.cfg is over 12000kb smaller than the default one?

I don't understand lol

The original version includes all variations of languages whereas ours is English language only. All other languages have been removed.

I did this because I can't translate into other languages (I only speak English and Rubbish). That accounts for the smaller file size mate.

Jon and Meeko, I would imagine that it is 8000+ lines of commentary although I cannot say for sure

Me neither! I've never actually counted the number of lines we've included in total. I just keep a running total of the lines added for each version although I'd guess that it's in the region of 8000+.

Excellent work guys,it's really good, thanks for the hard work that's gone into this.

Thanks for that Wayne. Yes it's hard work but very enjoyable and rewarding in its own way. It's one of my roles in the team to input every single line (I don't think them all up though thankfully) and it can get tedious but it has the reward of an end product that seems to be accepted well by the community. That keeps you going - as does a few beers at the end of each session working on it!

Right, I'm saving it to Steam>SteamApps>common>footballmanager2010>data>events, then I extract it and overwrite the existing 'events' file and it still doesn't work, any ideas why?

I'm assuming here that your game is patched up to the last one - patch 1030.

If this is the case, follow this path: Steam-SteamApps-common-football manager2010-data-updates

Here you'll find three folders:

update-1010

update-1020

update-1030

Now, if you are patched to 1030, the SOK update needs to be extracted into the 'update-1030' folder.

If you're only patched to 1020, then the SOK update needs to be extracted into the 'update-1020' folder.

If you're only patched to 1010, then the SOK update needs to be extracted into the 'update-1010' folder.

I'm assuming here that your game is patched up to the last one - patch 1030.

If this is the case, follow this path: Steam-SteamApps-common-football manager2010-data-updates

Here you'll find three folders:

update-1010

update-1020

update-1030

Now, if you are patched to 1030, the SOK update needs to be extracted into the 'update-1030' folder.

If you're only patched to 1020, then the SOK update needs to be extracted into the 'update-1020' folder.

If you're only patched to 1010, then the SOK update needs to be extracted into the 'update-1010' folder.

Right, so, I am patched to 1030, and I've extracted it to Steam-SteamApps-common-football manager2010-data-updates-update 1030, do I just leave that there or do I do something witht the original events file?

...do I do something witht the original events file?

Just extract SOK to the 'update-1030' folder, it will overwrite the original events file.

If you don't want it overwritten, make a back up copy of the original events file first by renaming it 'events2' or something. There's really no need to do this though as you will find copies of the original inside the 'update-1010' & 'update-1020' folders.

There's no need to start a new game, SOK will show when you next start FM.

Guys,

As someone who tried to do a Commentary Pack himself, I've got to say you've done an amazing job with this pack. It's tremendously tedious to think of 25 different ways to say "He passed the ball", but you've done it, and it looks, and reads brilliant(ly). Fantastic job, you've done things with that code that I didn't even know you could do (shuffling the order of the lines around amongst other things!)

Have one of these each!

chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

:D

Guys,

As someone who tried to do a Commentary Pack himself, I've got to say you've done an amazing job with this pack. It's tremendously tedious to think of 25 different ways to say "He passed the ball", but you've done it, and it looks, and reads brilliant(ly). Fantastic job, you've done things with that code that I didn't even know you could do (shuffling the order of the lines around amongst other things!)

Have one of these each!

Ah! My favourite biccies! Can I have another one, I've got the kettle on!

Thanks a lot for your generous comments Joe, they're certainly appreciated. Re-organising and renaming the lines into groups just seemed to be an obvious thing to do instead of having them all scattered all over the place. It makes editing so much easier as you'll appreciate. As for tinkering with the code, well I've not done yet. There's a few other things I've in mind which I'm working on (testing) at the moment but I'll say nothing here in case they backfire on me!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived