*Official* - the BIG Chelsea thread. Post all sorts of transfer crap in here, but no mentions of 'Chelski'

Team news for the Charlton match

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Chelsea v Charlton

Stamford Bridge

Sunday, 8 February

Kick-off: 1605 GMT

Referee:

Chelsea have a number of absentees, with John Terry and Joe Cole banned, Geremi on international duty and Scott Parker unable to face his old club.

Emmanuel Petit, Juan Sebastian Veron, Hernan Crespo, Damien Duff and Celestine Babayaro are all injured.

Carlton Cole cannot play for Charlton as part of his loan deal from Chelsea.

Jerome Thomas could make his debut and Shaun Bartlett returns, but Jason Euell is a major doubt and Richard Rufus and Gary Rowett remain on the sidelines.

Chelsea (from): Cudicini, Melchiot, Johnson, Desailly, Gallas, Bridge, Makelele, Lampard, Gronkjaer, Hasselbaink, Mutu, Gudjohnsen, Huth, Nicolas, Oliveira, Sullivan

Charlton (from): Kiely, Kishishev, Fish, Perry, Hreidarsson, Stuart, Young, Holland, Euell, Konchesky, Johansson, di Canio, Fortune, Bartlett, Jensen, Royce.

BIG-MATCH FACTS

CHELSEA aim to keep pace with the top two and avenge their heaviest Premiership defeat of the season, when they welcome fellow high riding Charlton to Stamford Bridge for a Sunday afternoon London derby.

The Blues are undefeated in five League and Cup games, winning four of them. But having scored in each of their home Premiership matches in the calendar year of 2003, they're yet to score a home League goal in 2004 and in 188 minutes (three hours three minutes) of top flight soccer in front of their home fans.

Chelsea and Charlton have not finished level in any of their nine Premiership contests, but they've not been short of goals of late - 16 have been scored in the last three meetings.

CHARLTON ATHLETIC routed a Chelsea side suffering a Christmas hangover when they met on Boxing Day at the Valley. The 4-2 victory gives the Addicks the chance of a third Premiership 'double' in four seasons over the big spending Blues, and a sixth 'double' over them since they first locked horns in 1929.

Bolton ended Charlton's seven match undefeated League run last time out. But Alan Curbishley's men cross the capital having not lost in four top flight matches on the road spanning the last two months (two wins, two draws).

The match will mark a notable milestone for Charlton midfielder Matt Holland. If he plays, the Republic of Ireland International will be making his 100th consecutive Premiership appearance. The sequence started at White Hart Lane on 19 August 2000, when Holland was playing for Ipswich Town - then a Premiership club. (Holland played in the First Division for Ipswich in 2002/2003.)

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

CHELSEA

Going into the weekend: 3rd 49 points

Dropped 20 Premiership points so far. Won 15 top flight games this term. Drawn only four League games. Kept 12 clean sheets in the top division. Gone nine games since recording back-to-back Premiership victories. Scored ten times in the last 15 minutes of their Premiership games this season. Next visit Portsmouth in the Premiership before successive League and Cup meetings with Arsenal. First a visit to Highbury in the FA Cup, then the Gunners will be welcomed to Stamford Bridge, followed by trips to VfB Stuttgart in the Champions League and Manchester City (PL).

CHARLTON ATHLETIC

Going into the weekend: 4th 37 points

Registered just one 'double' so far this season - over Wolves. Dropped 32 Premiership points. Won 10 top flight matches - six of them away. Lost only two League games on the road. Going into the weekend with the Premiership's widest margin of goals conceded away, compared to home. Defences have been breached 16 times at the Valley, as opposed to only nine times on their Premiership travels. Kept clean sheets in half of their 12 away Premiership matches. Gone eight games since suffering back-to-beat defeats at the highest League level. Gone 18 Premiership matches since losing by more than a single goal. That was the 0-2 loss to Manchester United at the Valley on 13 September. Two of the following three Premiership matches will also be against London opposition. Charlton next face Spurs (h), Blackburn (h) and Arsenal (a).

KEY PLAYER NOTES/POTENTIAL MILESTONES

CHELSEA

New boy Scott PARKER gets an early opportunity for an "old boys reunion". Jimmy FLOYD HASSELBAINK, needs two to total 100 in the Premiership. If he beats Arsenal's Thierry HENRY (98 so far), the Dutchman will become the 11th player to bag a ton of Premiership goals and the second overseas player, after Blackburn's Dwight Yorke. If they play, Mario MELCHOIT and John TERRY will be making their 150th appearances for Chelsea. Suspended: John TERRY

CHARLTON ATHLETIC

Jason EUELL needs one goal to total 50 in the Premiership. If involved, Graham STUART will be playing against his former club. If allowed to play, loanee Carlton COLE will be facing his parent club. If they play, both Matt HOLLAND and Richard RUFUS will be making their 100th Premiership appearances. When he next plays from the opening whistle Kevin LISBIE will be making his 50th Premiership start for Charlton. If selected in the eleven, Chris POWELL will be making his 200th start for Athletic and 600th club career start. If he plays in goal at any stage, Simon ROYCE will be making his 200th career League appearance (excluding Play-Offs).

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME:

Chelsea 4-1 Charlton Athletic

11 January 2003 - Ref: Mike Dean

Chelsea scorers: Hasselbaink 3 pen, Gallas 11, Gudjohnsen 34, Le Saux 54

Charlton scorer: Euell 42 pen

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE:

Charlton Athletic 4-2 Chelsea

26 December 2003 - Ref: Graham Poll

Charlton scorers: Hreidarsson 1, Holland 35, Johansson 48, Euell 53

Chelsea scorers: Terry 10, Gudjohnsen 73

HEAD TO HEAD TOTALS

League: Chelsea 22 wins, Charlton 22, Draws 15

Prem: Chelsea 4 wins, Charlton 5, Draws 0

HEAD TO HEAD at Chelsea

League: Chelsea 13 wins, Charlton 10, Draws 6

Prem: Chelsea 2 wins, Charlton 2, Draws 0

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

4-1 to us icon_smile.gif

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think (after this game of course) Parker will get alot of first team action (a la Lampard) ?

I put him in my fantasy team cause he was scoring loads of points for Charlton and playing 90 minutes every week .. then you kn0bs go and buy him !!! When he plays 60 minutes every 2 weeks i'm gonna have to change him again icon_mad.gif

Did anyone else hear about Lampard being linked with Inter Milan by the way ? Something i read on the rumours part of The Fiver

OK, well it looks like we're going to be forced into:

Cudicini

Bridge

Huth

Gallas

Johnson

Gronkjaer

Lampard

Makelele

Melchiot

Hasselbaink

Gudjohnsen

Crespo and Duff could be on the bench icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juni:

Chelsea Team confirmed:

Sullivan

Melchiot

Gallas

Huth

Bridge

Johnson

Nicolas

Lampard

Grønkjær

Mutu

Hasselbaink<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh dear.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cranberinho:

Is the Rocastle on the bench for Chelsea today any relation to the late great David 'Rocky' Rocastle of Leeds and Arsenal fame?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, Rocky was his uncle

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juni:

Mere coincidence that Kenyon's here soon icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

Your lot don't overpay much do they - and Kenyon negotiated many of those deals. Jealous icon_razz.gif

btw, Chelsea quiz, here, Sunday, 9pm icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Senegal:

Question one

how many times have Arsenal won the league more than Chelsea?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Question two

*can't think of anything*

... icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Senegal:

Question 2

Which club have beaten Chelsea in the FA Cup for the past three seasons?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Question 2

How many of Arsenals victories against Chelsea in recent years have they either actually deserved, or managed not to cheat in?

Sod it, I'll give you the answer now shall I?

None!!! bloody none whatsoever!!!! Damn it Senegal you've started me off again! icon_mad.gif GRRRRRRR!!!

The quiz was a joke - it wasn't ever gonna happen, it was just a wind-up because of the Man Yoo one icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

• Administrators

'spose I should get to posting some more stuff icon_biggrin.gif

ITV Football:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Bates to Chelsea: 'Shove it'

Chelsea, Monday February 09 2004

Chairman Ken Bates has told Chelsea to 'shove it' and will not be doing any more programme notes for the club.

Bates has been writing his controversial columns for 21 years, but was told not to bother for the Charlton game on Sunday.

His notes were replaced by a profile piece on new chief executive Peter Kenyon and the accompanying picture of Kenyon being welcomed by Chelsea Village chairman Bruce Buck is being taken as further proof that Bates is being pushed out of the club.

"Bruce Buck told me Peter Kenyon would be doing a profile piece and it would be better if I didn't do my notes.

"I told him he could shove it. I shan't be doing them again," said Bates, who has upset and amused for years with his programme notes.

"I've been doing my programme notes for 21 years and I shan't be doing them again.

"I watched the match and there were an awful lot of fans waving their programmes at me and pointing to my page and saying 'where the hell are you?'"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Administrators

In a tough, hard fought and at times frustrating match Chelsea finally edged out their London neighbours by virtue of a Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink penalty midway through the first half.

In what appears to have been the biggest selection crisis in the history of football, Claudio Ranieri was without twelve first team players. The absentee list read: Cudicini, Babayaro, Petit, Makelele, Duff, Veron, Stanic and Crespo (all injured!), Terry and Cole (both suspended), Parker (contractual) and Geremi (with his national team). This resulted in 'Neilo' Sullivan finding himself between the sticks, Huth (ahead of Desailly) slotting into the backline, Gronkjaer playing on the left rather than his more natural right, Johnson being pushed into midfield and Alexis Nicolas forming a central midfield partnership with Frankie Lampard for the youngster's first Premiership start. On the bench were a couple of other youth team players.

However despite the patched-up nature of the side, Chelsea set up camp within the Charlton half for the entirety of the first ten minutes and could have gone ahead after a slaloming Jesper Gronkjaer run ended up with him dipping the ball onto the crossbar. The pressure continued with a left-footed Lampard effort sliding wide, but Charlton weathered the storm and perked up after Alan Curbishley came down early from the stands, just in time to witness a Robert Huth special fly wide.

The pace and tempo of Chelsea's play was not creating many chances and Jesper had already felt the need to put on his scuba gear for a silly dive in the Charlton box, for which he rightfully got booked. Some tough tackling (including a bone cruncher from Huth) and good closing down (notably from the terrier-like Nicolas) kept the pressure up but all Chelsea could claim was a Mark Fish push in the box. Despite referee Steve Bennett waving Mutu away he did give a penalty on twenty five minutes when Hasselbaink backed into the South African, who wrapped his arms around the Dutchman, and Jimmy was brought to ground. Replays seemed to suggest the decision was a little harsh on Fish, who had nowhere to go. This did not bother Jimmy, as he got up and tucked the penalty away. Cue his rather lame but jubilant celebration.

As the rest of the half wore on the game became increasingly cagey with the most notable effort being Glen Johnson's at the back post after a corner had fallen to him. Strangely, as Mutu had crossed the ball he simultaneously managed to uproot the corner flag. That was pretty much the last action of the first half, but it did not end especially well for Stamford Bridge 'favourite' Graham Stuart, who was substituted for Luke Young.

The second forty five minutes appeared to be much a continuation of the first, except it was the Anoraks (all in garish yellow) putting the pressure on the impressive Blues' backline at the Shed End. Indeed, the away section took their opportunity to taunt Claudio about the possibility of him visiting the local job centre in the near future. Classily, he pointed out that it wouldn't be until May.

At this stage much of Chelsea's play was going down the flanks, with Bridge and Gronkjaer combining well down the left and Johnson threatening on the other side; the modified right back did well, bombing on many a time. Unfortunately, the away side kept up the pace and although they did not create many chances at first, the Blues only intermittently threatened with a scuffed effort from Jimmy.

At the other end of the pitch our towering German centre-back twice did well to intercept and break up Addicks attacks although on another occasion he nearly poked the ball past his own keeper. From the resulting corner, Matt Holland gave a fright with a flicked header wide. Meanwhile, Eidur Gudjohnsen had come on for the tiring Hasselbaink and despite the fact that he had almost single-handedly turned the tide back in Chelsea's favour, Charlton threatened an equaliser; first, substitute Shaun Bartlett glanced a header over and then a curling Claus Jensen free kick floated wide of the far post with Neil Sullivan struggling.

As the game stretched, Mutu reintroduced himself to the action and on three occasions he found himself in positions that he squandered; the first saw him over elaborate and go too wide past Dean Kiely to finish. The second occurred when he was presented with the ball ten yards out, only for him to smack the ball against the woodwork (reminiscent of the Liverpool game), and the third saw his close range tap-in superbly saved by the Charlton keeper.

With time running out, Chelsea managed to peg Charlton back inside their own half and the final whistle was greeted by the Stamford Bridge faithful with relief and applause. The Addicks, and in particular Jensen, played with great effort and tenacity but ultimately the fact that they didn't create many chances worthy of wasting showed how much Chelsea kept them at arm's length.

Teamsheet

Sullivan

Melchiot

Huth

Gallas

Bridge

Johnson

Nocolas

Lampard

Gronkjaer

Hasselbaink (Gudjohnsen 74)

Mutu

Unused Subs: Ambrosio, Desailly, Olivieira, Rocastle

Booked: Gronkjaer, (suspended for Man City game), Mutu

Crowd: 41,255

Referee: S. Bennett

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Higher attendance than Arsenal icon_cool.gificon_wink.gif

• Administrators

Chelsea forward Adrian Mutu earned the backing of boss Claudio Ranieri after the 1-0 win over Charlton Athletic at Stamford Bridge.

The Romanian has netted just three goals in his last 18 games, but Ranieri is content with his player's overall contribution to the side, despite him missing several chances in the victory over the Addicks.

He said: "I want to kill him, it hurts my heart! Everyone wants to kill me and he does that.

"But it's okay. The team created a lot of chances to finish the match. Sometimes you score once and sometimes more, but that's football.

"I'm very pleased with Mutu's performance as he was a threat."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's sad really. No matter how much of a pr*ck Bates is, one thing you could always say about him is that he had the best interests of the club at heart.

I'm not saying that Kenyon doesn't, but Bates seemed to be not only a businessman but also a very big fan.

This is a career move for Kenyon, despite him claiming on 5 Live the other day that he's a 'lifelong' supporter of Chelsea icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm not saying Bates should have a predominant role within the new structure, but at least give him some place in the club he loves and has done so much for.

I'm not saying Bates should have a predominant role within the new structure, but at least give him some place in the club he loves and has done so much for.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a fan of Bates. But before his £1 take-over, he wasn't a Chelsea fan. Not being funny. Just stating it!

Generally, i thought game was quite poor the other day although it never looked as though we wouldn't come away with all three points. Mutu looked bright but a goal would have been nice whilst it was good to see the back-four was sounds despite changes. Huth impressed me again

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ryan Hollands:

This is a career move for Kenyon, despite him claiming on 5 Live the other day that he's a 'lifelong' supporter of Chelsea icon_rolleyes.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did he really?

He was a lifelong United fan while at OT.

Although it's pretty well known he actually a Blue (of the Man Citeh variety).

Archived