Continental Dominance Challenge

Well done Acid, nearly at the end eh... going to carry on with the save once you have the african cl too or move on to something else? Try and get all the continental international trophies too perhaps?

Wondering whether to start again on mine really... found an edited A-league with the teams to be added over next few years + an FA cup instead of the final series... tempting :|

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers lads, that is very tempting Valin, where did you find it as I will be heading to the A-League for a new game at some point.

If I can get it done in Africa I will probably stay with the save, I want to manage Sunderland and take them to the top as I support them in real life.

Cheers lads, that is very tempting Valin, where did you find it as I will be heading to the A-League for a new game at some point.

If I can get it done in Africa I will probably stay with the save, I want to manage Sunderland and take them to the top as I support them in real life.

In this thread here (working download link is near bottom of thread) it boosts the A-league up to 16 teams by adding in those that they plan to add over the next few years like Melbourne Heart and Canberra United, and also re-adds the NZ Knights (team Wellington Phoenix replaced) to give NZ two teams. Finals series is removed and replaced with an FA cup, top two in the expanded A-league qualify for ACL. Also has some regional leagues below it which don't promote into the A-league.

Just testing it out atm, had to use the editor to get it to run with my NZ league files, just a case of re-adding Auckland City to the NZFC on the Australian edit file otherwise the game won't load the NZ leagues along with it. Also changed NZ Knights country to NZ. The guy who made it has also upped the salary cap to around 30k and increased the limit on foreign players to 9 but I'm thinking of editing this back to 21k and 5 as I kind of enjoyed the limitations.

Don't know if I'll actually restart, just a few of my many edited leagues were annoying me when I looked to move to them, e.g. Algeria which I hadn't checked didn't have a reserve/youth league so no way to keep young players fit... annoying but only 5 seasons in so not catastrophic I suppose.

Yes I think it is supposed to increase to 2 marquee players, but I think he's just put the cap at 35k wages and removed the marquee player stuff entirely. But anyway, don't want to derail the thread too much.

I found an out from Oz. I'm now the manager of Sao Paulo. Almost end of the season now though I have 10 games left. I am hoping I can sneak in to the Libertadores this season and win it next time if I make some decent signings. probably a big ask though to be honest.

Well looks like I made the right move. Toluca as I may have mentioned were already past the group stage of the NACL when I joined them mid season. I decided not to sign any players and just see exactly what was required for the new season, while hoping I could put up a good show in the remains of the NACL. Well we are through to the Closing Stage Playoffs, and well here are some screens shot of the NACL!

Final Leg 1

Final Leg 2

Even though I didnt start the campaign I hope this counts, as I have managed the so called hard stages!

Well done Gilbster of course it counts.

Thepathtoamen I really wanted that job but had to go to Argentina instead.

Cool, been trying not to get too far ahead while waiting for you to confirm that. Just feel a bit guilty as I have been at the club for less than a season, but think I will job hunt, while working through another season.

A few months have now passed and I managed to get Panama to the quarter finals of the Gold Cup, and keep my job afterwards. Have world cup qualifiers to look forward to, so hopefully may do something with them then.

I have been offered and accepted a job with Sao Paulo, so will be stalking you there, or taking over from you thepathtoamen, since I'm further ahead!

As I join they are in 14th, with 16 games left of the season, just 1 point above the drop zone. Hope I can turn their fortunes around somehow, and then make a push for continental sucess in future seasons. They were knocked out of the prelim round of the Sudamerica already, so will be a while before I see South American continental competition. Looks like I wont be judged in any competition this season, so can just try and keep them in the division and see what emerges.

Good luck in Brazil Glibster, it will not be too long until you experience continental competition with them if you do well. The teams that finish 6th-13th go into the Sudamericana on my game.

Season 1: YoungHearts, New Zealand

The season started strongly, with our first match being a 2-1 win away to Team Wellington. Our next three games were all 1-0 wins against Waitakere Utd (H), Waikato (A) & Canterbury Dragons (H). This resulted in us topping the table, and me being awarded the Novemeber Manager of the Match. The season collapsed after that however. A 3-0 loss to Hawke's Bay was followed by us coming from 2 goals down to draw with Team Wellington, before a 1-0 loss to Otago United. Despite scoring first against Waitakere United, we collapsed to 4-1. We then managed to lose a 2-goal lead against Waikato, then lost 2-0 to Canterbury Dragons. Our next 2 games were both 1-2 losses, both with us scoring first, against Hawke's Bay and Auckland City. Finally, we managed to get a win, 1-0 against Otago, but, neading a win in our final game to get to the Championship play-offs, we could only get a 0-0 draw against Auckland City, so we finished fifth by two goal difference goals.

Results

Table

Position Graph

Managed to drag them up to 7th, so have got into the Sudamerica at least. Currently just started the new season and am playing out the Sao Paulo State Championship games, which seems to be a long competition before the start of the league campaign, that I am not sure I understand, but will mean that we play a ridiculous amount of games a season, which unfortunately means I cant fly through the season as fast.

Club Career So Far

Season    Country        Team                Division          Position     Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10   New Zealand    Auckland City       NZC               4th          Champions after the playoff
2010/11   New Zealand    Auckland City       NZC               2nd          Lost in Playoff Semis
2011/12   New Zealand    Auckland City       NZC               1st          Lost in Playoff Semis
2012/13   Egypt          Al-Maqasah          North Division    14th         Stepped down as manager as still an amateur club
2014      Singapore      Tampines            S-League          3rd
2015      Singapore      Tampines            S-League          2nd
2016      Singapore      Tampines            S-League          2nd
2017      Singapore      Tampines            S-League          2nd
2018      Singapore      Tampines            S-League          2nd          Got to Quarter Finals in ACL
2019      Singapore      Tampines            S-League          1st          Champions and then left
2019/20   Australia      Melbourne Victory   Hyundai A-League  4th          Hyundai Final Series Winner 
2020/21   Australia      Melbourne Victory   Hyundai A-League  2nd          Hyundai Final Series Winner
2021/22   Australia      Melbourne Victory   Hyundai A-League  1st          Hyundai Final Series Winner
                                                                           3rd place World Club Champs
2022/23   Australia      Melbourne Victory   Hyundai A-League  1st*         *in first at time of leaving. Runner up in ACL
2022/23   Mexico         Deportivo Toluca    First Division    1st (CS)     Winner of Closing Stage Playoff
2023/24   Mexico         Deportivo Toluca    First Division    1st* (OS)    *1st at time of leaving.
2023      Brazil         Sao Paulo           First Division    7th

CS=Closing Stage. OS= Opening Stage

International Career So Far

Season    Country       Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012      Iraq          Appointed Manager
2014      Iraq          Qualified for Asian Nations Cup
2015      Iraq          Finished 3rd in Asian Nations Cup group
2016      Iraq          Sacked after failing to get through 3rd round of World Cup Qualifying
2021      Panama        Appointed Manager
2023      Panama        Gold Cup Quarter Finalist

Trophy Case

2012    O-League Champions                        Auckland City (NZ)
2015    Singapore League Cup Winners              Tampines (Singapore)
2015    Singapore Cup Winners                     Tampines (Singapore)
2016    Asian Confederations Cup Winners          Tampines (Singapore)
2017    Singapore League Cup Winners              Tampines (Singapore)
2018    Singapore League Cup Winners              Tampines (Singapore)
2018    Singapore Cup Winners                     Tampines (Singapore)
2019    Singapore League Cup Winners              Tampines (Singapore)
2021    Asian Champions League Winners            Melbourne Victory (Australia)
2022/3  North American Champions League Winners   Toluca (Mexico)
2023    First Division Champions Trophy           Toluca (Mexico)

Unlucky MCS, push on next season I am sure you can get up there and do the business.

Glibs, I am enjoying my time so far at 'Paulo', how are you finding it? Looking forward to buying some youngsters/future stars, however I am also looking forward to getting to Europe and getting some decent money. :)

Season 2: YoungHearts, New Zealand

Disaster. Absolute disaster from start to finish. We finished sixth, which doesn't look too bad, but that was almost all because of our strong performance in the final game. Aside from that, we were dreadful, and spent almost half the season 8th/8

Fixtures/Results

Final Table

Positional Graph

One bit of optimism. Throughout the season I was experimenting with different formations, trying to find one which could stop the rot. As can be seen, the 4-5-1 I started with against Waikato has resulted in two draws and a win. I've picked up a new goalkeeper, so I'm optimistic that we might be able to reach the play-offs...

And because of the way the forum spent the last couple of days; I'm now more optimistic that I was when I wrote this...

O dear MCS. Well crack on with a couple of decent buys and see how you do next time. Maybe aim for a playoff place....

My save isn't doing to well either, just went out in the Pre-lim round of the Sudamericana, which is a bit annoying but I am now the China boss and seeing as I know some of the players I am doing ok so far.

Didn't realize how many games there were in a Brazilian season, must be coming up to 60 already. takes a while to whiz through a year.

I'm going to do this challenge, and it is my first challenge in fm2010!

What I did, for the most part, was pick 1-2 good to decent ones, and one-two poor but not horrific one from each country.

North America: Trinidad and Tobago, Costa Rica, Suriname

South America: Argentina, Chile, Uruguay

Oceania: New Zealand, Papau New Guinea, Fiji

Europe: Netherlands, Israel, Bosnia and Herzgovina

Africa: Cameroon, Tunisia, Angola

Asia: South Korea, Australia, and China

One problem: not all of these are in the completed competitions thread. I'm pretty new to the FM community (I joined these fourms last night!), so can some one help me find the ones not in the thread?

Ones not on there: Tunisia, Suriname, Papau New Guinea

Season 3: YoungHearts, New Zealand

I said I was optimistic. Was I right? We finished 3rd in the table, but it could have been so much better. 15 minutes from the end of our match against Hawke's Bay, we were 1-0 up and first in the table - despite the other results going against us. But then Soloman Islands international Andrew Abba scored, and the wins for Auckland and Canterbury Dragons resulted in us going to third. Still, for the first time, we're in the Championship games.

Fixtures/Results

Final Table

Positional Graph

Championship Semi-Final

Leg 1

YoungHeart v. Auckland

Memorial Park had the biggest attendence in my time in Palmerston North. Over 700 people were in the... um... 15000 seater stadium. I think it would be a good idea to sell one of these stands, maybe make me some money? We had two players away due to New Zealand's Presence in the OFC Nations Cup Final. That's alright; Auckland had eight.

Sadly, the absences initally made no difference. Auckland striker Tim Smits fired past Ben Kennedy in the eleventh minute to make in 1-0. In the twenty-five minute, an attack by YoungHeart resulted in Japanese winger Takayuki Omi being in the area and being brought down by replacement left-back Dalin Wilson (for the main one was away with the All Whites). Top scorer Omi stepped up to the spot....

...and kicked it straight at the keeper. For the next fifteen or so minutes, the majority of the posession was controlled by the away side, until, in the 43rd minute, Samoan captain Des Faauiuso passed a perfect ball into the area for the New Zealand Under 21s captain Corey Chettleburgh to slot home. One-One! After the 3 additional minutes, the two teams went in for half-time. The second half spent 45 minutes being even, with both sides having good chances. There were to be two minutes of injury time, and in the first, Des Faauiuso ran past four players and 25 yards into the area and shot into the net for a certain winner! There was no time at all for another goal, and we had the win in the first leg!

YoungHeart 2-1 Auckland

Stats: Match Team

In the other match Otago United beat Canterbury Dragons 2-0 to put them in a strong position for qualification for the Championship match.

Leg 2

Auckland (1) v. (2) YoungHeart

One week later, and the internationals were back. A Faauiuso goal had won goal of the tournament, YoungHeart's Jacob Williams had made his debut for New Zealand, and the Soloman Islands were officially the best team in the OFC. Replacing New Caledonia. I don't think this is the most realistic tournament in the game.

Both our Internationals, Jacob Williams & Cameron Lindsay, were both back in the squad at the smaller and fuller (over 2000 fans out of 5000) Kiwitea Street Stadium in Auckland. The fact that the Championship Semi-Finals used the away goal rule meant that we would need to score a goal as soon as possible. We couldn't get a goal in the first half, but fortunately, neither did Auckland, despite them dominating (6 shots as opposed to YoungHeart's 0).

The start of the second half saw winger Hamish Chang clear a ball from his own half that went past everyone and went through to Auckland goalie John Taylor, who completely miskicked it into the path of Des Faauiuso. He couldn't possibly miss. And he didn't! YoungHeart lead 1-0, and were 3-1 up on the aggregate score. That goal really knocked the stuffing out of Auckland, and it was YoungHeart who had the best chances in the second half, failing to get a goal, but winning through to the Championship Final!!

Auckland (1) 0-1 (3) YoungHeart

In the other match Otago came from 2 goals down to draw with Canterbury Dragons and qualify for the Final Match.

Championship Final

YoungHeart v. Otago Utd.

As luck would have it, we were drawn to be the home team for this game. Memorial Park had 2735 of the 15000 seats filled. I'm guessing whoever it's in memorial to liked green seats. This was the team that finished third verses the team that finished fourth. The earlier matches this season had both been home wins, and in my time at YoungHeart we'd beaten Otago thrice and lost to them thrice. So the match was finely balanced. Home advantage meant that YoungHeart were the pre-match favourites, although not by much.

The Final game of the 2011-12 NZFC began with an even first half, with both sides getting shots, but not many (a total of 3 for YoungHeart and 2 for Otago, with each team getting one on target). Otago managed to get a few more shots off, but still couldn't get a goal throughout the second half, and we'd be going to Extra Time. The first 15 minutes followed the pattern of the opening 90, with both sides having chances and no one scoring. The next 15 seemed oddly familer. Penalty time!

First up; Jacob Williams of YoungHeart. Stepped up, into the corner, 1-0.

Otago United sent forward Striker Nathan Knox... and he sent it well wide!

The Japanese Takayuki Omi came up to the spot and sent the ball into the corner. 2-0.

Scotsman Stuart Kelly was next, and he had no problem. 2-1.

Up came Hamish Chang... and he sent it into the same corner as Jacob to make it 3-1!

Ryan Faichnie was next, and easily into the corner to make it 3-2.

Phil Williams had come on specially for the shootout... And he sent it over the keeper to make it 4!

The Norweigian and former Man City midfielder Abdi Ibrahim had to score.... And He Did!

Rupesh Puna had replaced Cowen as captain when the latter came off for Phil Williams. Now, if he scored, YoungHeart would have won the Championship....

Puna...

Steps up...

KEEPER THE WRONG WAY!!!

YOUNGHEART CHAMPIONS!

YoungHeart 0-0 Otago Utd. (YoungHeart win 5-3 on penalties)

A brilliant season in the end. And now, of course, for the O-League itself!

Good luck WC :) lets hope you can get through to the OCL at the first try! :)

Back to my save. Finished my first full season with Sao Paulo and phew it was a long one. Not a big fan of loads of games in a season so am now looking to move on as soon as possible after winning the CL. I made a couple of signings in the close season to support my midfield (Mazinho and Willian) Mazinho was in and around the first team all season and was a good buy, Willian I used once or twice but will most likely sell again this season.

The State championship went close at the end but Santos were too strong for the rest of the league having won the national league 3 times in a row so far, and the final state league table looked like this with me slipping in at the end. Did not do well in the playoff however and went out in the first round.

The National division went a little better however Santos were again still strong and went on to win their 4th consecutive title, just. The final table looked like this. So I am now into the Libertadores and am hoping for a good run in this. I will be concentrating on this in the next season with the league on a back burner.

Right well I had problems with my last save and now have decided to have some fun with a true journeyman career in this thread before I prepare for FM11, I have loaded the following Leagues:

Africa: Egypt (1st Div ^), Ivory Coast (MTN L2 ^).

Asia: Australia (A-League), Bahrain (1st Div ^), Japan (NL2 ^), Malaysia (Prem L ^), Singapore (S-League)

N.America: USA (MLS)

Europe: Denmark (1st Div ^), England (Lvl 11 ^), Italy (Serie B ^), Holland (Jupiler ^), Norway (1st Div ^), Scotland (1st Div ^)

Oceania: New Zealand (NZFC)

S.America: Argentina (2nd Div ^), Brazil (2nd Div ^), Chile (1st Div B ^), Colombia (2nd Div ^)

Really looking forward to the run in, I have started with my hometown club of Team Wellington, they train and play just down the road from my house, hoping to travel the world and at some point drop to Level 11 in England on the path to the Trophy. I am going to move clubs if any better offers come in, even if I haven't got the current Continents Trophy as once I get to the top I can always come back to the other nations I need.

Well, the season had lots of low points, and high points.

Won two manager of the months.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/wartank7/managerofthemonth.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/wartank7/managerofthemonth2.png

Despite some very shaky performances and the fans and board barely liking me, i finished first place. With only 6 wins, to boot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/wartank7/results.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/wartank7/table.png

I tied the first leg and won the second.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/wartank7/legone.png

*second leg had my girlfriends screename in it. you don't need to see that >>*

2-1 win in the final, with foreigners scoring both my goals.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/wartank7/champions.png

Kinda suprised, but I am not one to complain! I think this means i qualify for the OCL

I have decided to do this because I've been reading your thread in the career updates forum, AcidBurn, and it's awesome.

Using:

Africa: Egypt, Algeria, South Africa

Asia: Australia, China, South Korea

Europe: England, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain

North America: Mexico, USA

Oceania: Fiji, New Zealand

South America: Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay

Staring as Sunday League Manager, Just got a job with Widad Riadhi Baladiat M'Silia in the Algerian Interrégions Groupe Centre.

The media are predicting us to be 9th out of 16 teams. Good luck me.

Woo-hoo! into the quarters of the Libertadores. Didn't think I would win it this year as my team is not the strongest due to a young age and so therefore lack of experience, but I am starting to think maybe this can be done.

EDIT: make that the semi's :D only just made it though, had to rely on aggregate to beat Gremio, semi's will be a tough couple of games. Not so confident now....

Netherlands Antilles offered me a job, and loving international management, I accepted.

They had loads of talent, but a low ranking, so it seemed like a great team to manage.

The final group stage of the Caribbean Championship was my first task, and it went well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/wartank7/winnersD.png

Next was Grenada in the Semi-Finals, and I beat them fairly easily.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/wartank7/suckitgrenada.png

Last was Jamaica in the finals, and I was really praying for a close loss. However, I hit em on the counter, and that one goal ended up being the only goal in the entire game.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/wartank7/upsettingjamaicans.png

The fans and the board are in love with me, and I am quite pleased with my work to be honest.

Woo-hoo! into the quarters of the Libertadores. Didn't think I would win it this year as my team is not the strongest due to a young age and so therefore lack of experience, but I am starting to think maybe this can be done.

EDIT: make that the semi's :D only just made it though, had to rely on aggregate to beat Gremio, semi's will be a tough couple of games. Not so confident now....

Good luck dude, hope you can win it that competition really annoyed me when I was trying to win it.

Warning_Crazy that's some great progress with Netherlands Antilles nice once. I think that you will get a job eventually I managed to move to Australia reasonably quick but I may have had a higher starting rep.

Yeah I am not really enjoying South America that much, looking forward to moving on. I think it is the sheer number of games. 38 game season, 19 game state championship plus what ever cup run you are in. I just got told I have qualified for next seasons Brazilan cup. Never heard of it and never had any games in it so far so more games next season if I don't win the Libertadores this season.

I think when I finish this area of the world I may take a year off and just have a nice easy club in the Cook islands or something, then make an assult on Europe. That is ofcourse unless the Spurs job comes up, and I keep getting linked with the Madrid job and AC Milian, I would take a club like that as well.

The cup in Brazil is for teams not in the Libertadores meaning the smaller teams have a shot at winning it most of the time. I avoided Brazil and went to Argentina instead it's simple there no cups just an opening and closing stage league with the two added together for the overall winner. Teams compete in the Libertadores and the Sudamericana in the same season but the two competitions never clash Sudamerican is finished well before the Libertadores starts.

Archived