Continental Dominance Challenge

Quick update. I've got Villa into the Champions League for the 2016/17 season after winning the league with 3 games to go. We're in the Semi Final of the Europa League against Schalke, First leg was away which we won 4-0. Also got the Carling Cup in the bag and in the final of the FA Cup so there is a quadruple on here

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll just wait to see what jobs pop up i think, quite fancy oz actually.

EDIT: Well after applying for a job in Oz (Melbourne Victory) and 2 jobs in Korea (Seongnam + Jeonbuk) they all pretty much laughed at me ... seriously.

But then i was asked to quit my post with dignaty with Auckland which i did and i immediately got offered the job at Masry (in Egypt) .. Here. I'm in the process of setting us up for the new season (lucky i got the job pre-season) and i'll update with transfers etc. soon ..... Oh we're predicted 9th top 2 Champs League. My first target: Top 4.

Masry were pretty good in my save top 6 side for the years I was at Ismaily.

Quick update. I've got Villa into the Champions League for the 2016/17 season after winning the league with 3 games to go. We're in the Semi Final of the Europa League against Schalke, First leg was away which we won 4-0. Also got the Carling Cup in the bag and in the final of the FA Cup so there is a quadruple on here

How is you rsquad shaping up? Much chance of decent progress in Champions League?

Anyone who wants adding to the opening post let me know what year and with who you won and I will add you to it.

Another update;

Have been a bit busy recently, so barely played at all. Last update I had got through to the final of the Chinese Domestic Cup for the second consecutive year (losing last years however, to Chanba I think), and was in the semi finals of the Asian Champions League. I was drawn against Shenhua, which wasn't an ideal draw, our records against each other are remarkably similar after 4 years now. In the Chinese Super League, which I had said previously was by far my easiest year yet, I ended up strolling to my third consecutive title, which I am delighted about, because before my arrival, Beijing hadn't won it before. I have it in the bag with 3 games to go, and will personally be gunning for the records for most points, most goals scored and least goals conceded. I could theoretically achieve all 3, but it could be tough. Not too fussed, but an extra incentive to finish the final 3 games well.

Back to the Asian Champions League, also known as the Bane of my life. Got thumped a couple of seasons ago in the quarters, lost in the final last year (immediately followed by the loss in the Chinese domestic cup...that hurt) and drew Shenhua this time. First match, at home....well, got off to a flier, no other way to say it, strolling out 5-1 winners. Remarkable given I have never got close to a similar result against them, but what a time to get it! Lost the away leg 1-0, but it was of minor import.

Through to the final, against Shandong, who are fierce rivals (along with Shenhua and Tianjin). First leg, at home once again. They strike first blood on 4 minutes, which left me horrified. Sandro, my star acquisition from my first season at Beijing, pulled it back to 1-1 with a long range strike. Then my other star, quite and composed Zhao Xuri, my midfield anchor, went and got I think his second EVER red card for me, in the most important match. Devastating. Thank the gods, Sandro popped up again with another long range strike, and I hung onto a tenuous 2-1 win.

The away match was tense, and I dreaded it, looking at my injury list.

Going into the match, I was missing Xuri, Hao Junmin (my winger attracting clubs like Monaco.), my other Sandro, the LW/LWB, Qu Bo (who some may recognise as my best striker, single handedly won the first title for me if I recall), Xiangchuang (my pretty good fill in RW/striker), Wan Hualiang, my first choice defender.

So as you can see, considerable damage, with 5 first teamers out, and also the fill in for the first teamer. This was compounded with Xu Liang, my goal scoring, all action LB getting injured. Zhou Ting comes on in his place; this is important to remember later.

I strike first, on about 60 minutes, to utter elation, leading 3-1, my away goal cancelling out theirs. Unfortunately, before 70 minutes elapsed, I somehow contrived to concede two goals, to bring it to 3-3 aggregate, deadlock. I am getting battered, but hold on till extra time. Then in extra time, Zhou Ting, who as I said came on for Xu Liang, gets injured himself. I have no substitutions remaining, and worse, no player who can even be shifted into his position, so I end up fielding a very wonky 3-2-3-1 and hoping they don't attack too much down the left...

Cezar, my star man this season, breaking all kinds of goal scoring records, is playing poorly, so I moved him back into midfield, where he can at least unleash the thunderous shot he has, and put on my very worst (and only remaining) striker, to play upfront. Beyond all belief, he manages to counter attack, latches onto a loose ball from the keeper and runs it into the goal to my absolute delirium.

Still very worried, given I have 10 men on the pitch, but I manage to hang on and secure my very first Champions league win of any kind, ever :D

I still have the chinese domestic cup final and 3 league games to go, and I really would like to take the domestic cup, as the very last piece of silver wear I haven't gained in my lengthy tenure here. If I can get it, I will be happy, but it's against Shandong, and I am not too bothered currently. Undecided on current matters, whether to leave my beloved Beijing now I have finally finished my long term goal here...

I am delighted with my time at Beijing; to get a bit Harry "they only had 2 points when I joined them" Redknapp on you all, Beijing were really nothing special. Never won the league, never got close to the ACL either. In my time, they have won the league three times in a row, expanded their stadium to become the richest club in China with a much higher average attendance than anyone else can get close to. The board are delighted I have raised the clubs standing in world football greatly according to them and I have improved just about every other segment of the club, running at a huge profit, with unparalleled success to go with it. I have gained 'world class' status apparently, I have leapt into the 2nd best manager China has ever seen, and 6th that Asia has seen as a continent, with 3 league wins, 1 ACL and a worthless, but endearing, East Asian Championship.

I think I will sit on my success for a little while, go back and finish the rest of the season and then make a decision as to the future. Who would have thought the lowly Wuhan manager, who in 08/09 was on the way to relegation had he not been fired before hand, would amount to...anything, let alone this!

Continental Domination Season 7 - Aston Villa

League

A couple of decent siginings saw us hit the top and stay there wining the league with 3 games to go.

Media Prediction - 5th

League Table

Cup Competitions

Carling Cup. A good run here with a fantastic aggregate win over Spurs in the Semi.

FA Cup

Europa League. We had a good run through the minor european competition but did have some difficult ties against Panathanaikos, Rangers and Getafe before playing Sevilla in the Final.

Key Players

I can't pick single players so here is the squad's stats

Squad 1

Squad 2

Transfers

4 players were selected in the Team of the Year.

I was given the Manager of the Year award

Yannis Tafer got the Player of the Year

Year     Team                  League                Achievements                                notes
09/10   Canterbury Dragons    NZ Championship        League and O League Champions
10/11   Canterbury Dragons    NZ Championship        None                                        Resigned after playoffs
10/11   Platinum Stars        SA Premier             None
11/12   Platinum Stars        SA Premier             None
12/13   Platinum Stars        SA Premier             League Champions
13/14   Platinum Stars        SA Premier             League Champions and 3 cups won
14/15   Platinum Stars        SA Premier             League Champions and CL Champions, 2 cups
15/16   Aston Villa           English Premier        PL, Europa League, Carling Cup Champions

Seems to be dying down a bit in here, can't wait to start this challenge up again for FM11 should be able to get quite a few more people attempting it as this one was started pretty late. As soon as a New Zealand created league is available I will post the FM11 version up, so if anyone sees it before me please drop me a PM so we can get the challenge going as soon as possible.

Continental Domination Season 8 - Aston Villa

League

Won the league with 6 games to go this season. The sigings made were good as well

Media Prediction - 3rd

League Table

Cup Competitions

Community Shield

European Super Cup

Carling Cup.

FA Cup

Champions League. Put out by Porto in the 1st KO round.

Key Players

Squad 1

Squad 2

Transfers

1 player selected in the Team of the Year.

I was given the Manager of the Year award

Tom Turner got the Young Player of the Year

Year     Team                  League                Achievements                                notes
09/10   Canterbury Dragons    NZ Championship        League and O League Champions
10/11   Canterbury Dragons    NZ Championship        None                                        Resigned after playoffs
13/14   Platinum Stars        SA Premier             League Champions and 3 cups won
14/15   Platinum Stars        SA Premier             League Champions and CL Champions, 2 cups
15/16   Aston Villa           English Premier        PL, Europa League, Carling Cup Champions
16/17   Aston Villa           English Premier        PL, FA Cup, Community Shield and Euro Super cup champions

I'm still playing, just not had a lot of time to play properly recently

^This. I'm 10 games into my season in Egypt (currently 4th) Al Ahly are running away with the league 10 wins. I'm slowly getting confident of a top 4 which will put us in Asian competition (Top 2 in champs league).

AcidBurn I'll probably have a go at this next year with FM11 (I have to make sure some XML files of the nations I want are available for FM11) to integrate with my career game. The only problem is that I might not complete the challenge not because I don't have the ability, but more because I might love managing a club so much I'll never want to leave... :p

It broke my heart to leave Auckland :) so much so I headed back there for a season and I suspect I will go back there again when my time at Fiorentina comes to an end.

I also really enjoyed the MLS, which is odd as I did a mini save on it a few months ago and hated it, I didn't get the rules or the draft etc. But when the Kansas job came up I thought I would give it a go and I ended up with a really good team there and I definitly want to do a save in real time (2010/2011 rather than 2023 etc). I think that is the best thing about this challenge it got me into two leagues I probably would never of played, and also got me playing some other leagues that although I didn't enjoy so much still expanded my knowledge of world football. :)

Got to agree before starting the challenge there is no way I would have played in Mexico, Egypt, New Zealand or Australia only one I didn't like was Egypt. If not for FM10 then FM11 will see me doing a career in Australia after a starting stint in New Zealand again.

Continental Dominance - Masry Port Said - Season 2011/12.

The season started better than my expectations and we easily hung around the 4th/5th spot before jumping into 3rd after a good run (and sat only a couple of points off second) until the midway point of the season where we fell apart a little dropping to 5th and being too many points off 3rd and upwards we managed to pull together a couple of pretty lucky wins all in all and finish 4th earning a spot in the African Confederation Cup for 2013.

We was poor in the Egypt Cup.

Transfers - Table - Most Assists.

Line-Up (442 Variation w/2 DMC usually)

GK - Zenga

RB - Samir

CB - Said

CB - Eliassou

LB - Shedid/Aziz

DMC - El Shayeb

DMC - Shebeita

RM - Gamal

AML - Belkheir

CF - Belal

CF - Giancarlo/Osman

• 2 weeks later...

okay new update

Continental Domination Season 9 - Aston Villa

League

Won the league with 8 games to go this season. Didn't lose a league game all year

Media Prediction - 2nd

League Table

Cup Competitions

Community Shield

Carling Cup.

FA Cup

Champions League. Lost in the final to Man Utd on penalties

Key Players

Squad 1

Squad 2

Transfers

4 players selected in the Team of the Year. 6 were picked in the Champions League Dream team

I was given the Manager of the Year award. Sergio Canales was voted Players Player of the Year

Yanis Tafer got Premier League Top Scorer, Champions League Best Player and Champions league Golden Boot

16/17   Aston Villa           English Premier        PL, FA Cup, Community Shield and Euro Super cup champions
17/18   Aston villa           English Premier        PL, FA Cup and Community Shield winners

• 2 weeks later...

Continental Domination Season 10 - Aston Villa

League

Won the league again without losing again although I did drop points by drawing

Media Prediction - 2nd

League Table

Cup Competitions

Community Shield - Won on penalties over Arsenal

Carling Cup - Beat Arsenal in the final

FA Cup - Was getting bored of seeing Arsenal now as this was the 5th meeting

Champions League - Beat Villareal in the final after getting past Real, Sporting CP, Barca and Juve.

No squad pictures as I forgot to take them

4 players selected in the Team of the Year. 5 Players selected in the Champions League Dream Team.

Jay Lomas got the CL Golden Boot and also the CL Best Player

I was given the Manager of the Year award. Steven Zwane got the Young Player of the Year award.

17/18   Aston villa           English Premier        PL, FA Cup and Community Shield winners
18/19   Aston Villa           English Premier        PL, Cl, FA Cup, Carling Cup and Community Shield winners

Okay that's 3 down with 3 to go. One more season with Villa to try for the Club World Championship adn then I'll move on.

2. Genie Scout can be used to find regens if you wish but please do not edit your game with FMRTE.

Basically negates all achieved results.

I'm a fan of the challenge, but if you're going to do it, at least take it up embracing the very nature of the word challenge.

Basically negates all achieved results.

I'm a fan of the challenge, but if you're going to do it, at least take it up embracing the very nature of the word challenge.

Personally I do not use it but to be fair there is no real way of telling if someone is using it or not in any challenge on here. The rule is there for people to decide for themselves all I want is some conversation about peoples career and an easy going challenge designed mainly for fun.

Personally I do not use it but to be fair there is no real way of telling if someone is using it or not in any challenge on here. The rule is there for people to decide for themselves all I want is some conversation about peoples career and an easy going challenge designed mainly for fun.

If I'm honest, the one thing that stands out for me is the ease with which people have completed this challenge. One guy, I forget his name, has seen nothing but success. Don't get me wrong, it is totaly feasible for people to just win everything if they have the right club, but it is so off seeing people do so season upon season. I would like to see the saved games of all those who have completed this challenge because I know I could find errors within them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping to get a working one done over the weekend as some files from FM10 still work with FM11. Will hopefully post a new thread for the challenge up some time next weekend. Any suggestions on rules or changes in anyway are more than welcome, only thing I am against is making attribute masking a rule as that really annoys me and puts me off other challenges.

Archived