Continental Dominance Challenge

An update on Beijing.

So, of the 4 competitions this season;

Chinese Super League - It's going alright, there are 6-7 games left, and it is a very much 3 horse race, with Shandong on 52, Me (Beijing) and Shenhua on 50, but my head-to-head edging Shenua into 3rd. I have the undoubtedly harder run in than Shandong, and they show no signs of slipping up, but I keep hope..

Upon being entered in the East Asian Championship I won it first time of asking, no real trouble there; this delighted the board and fans, so that was nice, considering it was a league table of 3 games; i.e. not much work!

The Chinese Domestic Cup has gone pretty darn well, though unfortunately the board don't care about it in the slightest. I am through to the final against Chanba, but that is some time away yet. Looking forward to it, and hope to get my first win in it, even if the board don't care about it.

But for the big one, the Asian Champions League, I am through to the semi-final. I was paired against a good Korean team, and the first leg at home was a nightmare. Went 2-0 down in the first half, away goals counting. I managed to fight back in the toughest battle for a long time to equalise with a Cezar double.

Second leg is coming up, but it's going to be a real test..

Miscellaneous stuff; Xuri, my signing from a couple of seasons ago has been a fantastic purchase, still dominating midfield. Pretty much first name on the team sheet, everyone else will change occasionally, but if he is fit, he plays. Qu Bo is still in ridiculous goal scoring form, however it's become clear after his two seasons with me, that he is a bit injury prone. Whenever he plays, he scores, but he doesn't make quite as many apps as I'd like.

Really nervous about the second ACL leg away from home, as it seems unlikely I will win the league, so if I fail the ACL, and don't win the league, then it will be 2 seasons of hard work, providing I win first time of asking next season, before I can hope to win the ACL. I am loving my time in the Chinese Super League with Beijing, but I could easily see this turning into a far longer project than I hoped.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay quick update from SOuth Africa with Platinum Stars. Halfway through the season and although we were knocked out of the Knockout cup in the 1st round we currently sit 5th in the table at the halfway mark of the season 1 point behind 4th. Winning the league from here is gonna be a hard task with 3rd place 6 points clear of us.

It's been an interesting start for me at Canterbury. Because of the timing of the save and my start date (December, 2008) I had the whole winter to build a team before we played a game. Kind of a back door method I know but I had picked that start date because I was hoping for an MLS team.

Canterbury was a mess when I got there. Most of their players were either on youth contracts or were out of contract. The team is currently semi-pro but I'm hoping to "go pro" when we have some success, or when the team is taken over (more in that in a few...). There was no staff at all when I got there so I had to hire a staff. The chairman didn't give me too many staff slots and where we suffered most was in coaching with only 2 coaches allowed. I tried to hire a "well rounded" coach and a really good goalkeepers coach. So once I hired a staff I hit the player market. The team had some good young players and some well established top guys, but was severely lacking in a few areas and needed overall depth. Here were my signings in the spring:

th_09_Canterbury_Transfers.jpg

I also signed all the good out of contract players and youth players to 2 or 3 year deals so hopefully we'll be a good team for a few seasons as it make take a bit for the team to gel.

In the spring rumors started flying about a board takeover by a consortium headed by a Russian businessman. What concerns me is that the news reports say they'll put in their own manager if they gain control of the club, and since I now have a transfer embargo imposed on me it seems like the negotiations are coming to a close. Hope they don't sack me before we ever play a game. That would suck, especially since I think I've built a really good team really quickly. We'll see what happens....

Another update;

So, in the Chinese Super League, I have been battling away, more wins, and Shandong pulled out a draw, so now we are level on points, but they beat me on head to head and goal difference. There is 4 or 5 games left I think, so...I don't know if it's going to go my way, but I can hope.

In the Asian Champions League, after my disastrous 2-2 home draw, I pulled the away leg back with a 2-1 win, to go through. It was tough, but delighted to get away with it. Through to the final, and against Shenhua, of all teams. Beijing's bitter rivals, title rivals, but more importantly, a team I have a good record against. First leg at home, got a 2-1 win, which should have been more, and was happy with that. Then the away leg...I lost, 1-0. I just couldn't score...So gutting, to lose in such manner. Stupid two legged final..

After the ACL final, which I lost, there is the Chinese Domestic cup final, against Chanba, but I just haven't had the heart to play it yet, straight after the ACL.

So, I have a longer stay in China.

ah unlucky DA, as much as I am happy for Shenhua to win on any save as they are one of my old teams I wanted you to beat them when I was reading it. Better luck next time though I hope! :)

I just lost first leg of NACL quarter final against America (MEX) 2-1 so not my best result - just to post a little update.

Ah my beloved Spurs job just came available how annoying I can't take it!

EDIT: had to play the second leg against America (MEX) without my best striker but my second choice popped up with two goals to send me through to the finals. Its getting close but can I make it 3 CL's in 3 years?

ooo unlucky DA, good luck in the final pathtoamen :p

im still trying to win the european champs league, regretting not leaving it till last as its taking me yonks, got to the quarters last year with spurs, but got put out by barca on away goals (2-2 in first leg, then 0-0 in second), however i did manage to win the prem last season! and this season i finished top of the champs league group stages, which included barca! so here's hoping i can finally add CL no3 and move on to another continent :) lovin it :L

Ah my beloved Spurs job just came available how annoying I can't take it!

EDIT: had to play the second leg against America (MEX) without my best striker but my second choice popped up with two goals to send me through to the finals. Its getting close but can I make it 3 CL's in 3 years?

Your beloved Spurs job? You're a Spurs fan?

Uh oh. If so, not only are we rivals in game (Beijing and Shenhua being rivals), but I am an Arsenal fan. :p

Despite this, good luck! Would be an incredible record.

ooo unlucky DA, good luck in the final pathtoamen :p

im still trying to win the european champs league, regretting not leaving it till last as its taking me yonks, got to the quarters last year with spurs, but got put out by barca on away goals (2-2 in first leg, then 0-0 in second), however i did manage to win the prem last season! and this season i finished top of the champs league group stages, which included barca! so here's hoping i can finally add CL no3 and move on to another continent :) lovin it :L

Doing good!

Every one is kicking my ass at this. But I was prepared for this; I am not a very good manager, I knew this before!

Continental Domination Season 3 - Platinum Stars

League

The league went quite well with us absolutely blowing the media prediction out of the water

Media Prediction

League Table

Cup Competitions

The less said about the cups the better. we were awful in them

Knockout Cup

South African FA Cup

Key Players

Gilbert Mushangazhike

Clive Winstanley

Granwald Scott

Cole Alexander

Chanda Mwanza

Dillon Shepard

Tapuwa Kapini

Transfers

Year     Team                  League                Achievements                     notes
09/10   Canterbury Dragons    NZ Championship        League and O League Champions
10/11   Canterbury Dragons    NZ Championship        None                             Resigned after playoffs
10/11   Platinum Stars        SA Premier             None
11/12   Platinum Stars        SA Premier             None

International

I took over as the Jordanian manager with the intention of trying to get them qualified for the World cup but resigned not long after.

After a disappointing result in the champions league last year, all at tottenham were expecting alot after the premiership win, and i duly delivered, after wins against FC Bayern,Lazio and Athletico Madrid in the 1st knockoup round, quarters and semi's respectively, i was faced with fellow EPL team Sunderland. Many will feel this would be an easy win! as it is Sunderland afterall, however Sunderland have finished in the top4 for the past 4 years, and are currently first in the league (im second).

So in the games leading up to the final i played second and third teams(thus finished 3rd in EPL), but it seemed to pay off !The Final was 2-2 after 90 mins, so i believe that the rest i gave the players(which sunderland did not) helped as i managed to win 3-2, with a peach from kadlec proving the difference.

So that me conquerd Europe now ! 3/6 done so far, time for a new challenge Africa perhaps ? :D

Acid ... 2022 European Champions League - Totttenham Hotspurs

It's been an interesting start for me at Canterbury. Because of the timing of the save and my start date (December, 2008) I had the whole winter to build a team before we played a game. Kind of a back door method I know but I had picked that start date because I was hoping for an MLS team.

Canterbury was a mess when I got there. Most of their players were either on youth contracts or were out of contract. The team is currently semi-pro but I'm hoping to "go pro" when we have some success, or when the team is taken over (more in that in a few...). There was no staff at all when I got there so I had to hire a staff. The chairman didn't give me too many staff slots and where we suffered most was in coaching with only 2 coaches allowed. I tried to hire a "well rounded" coach and a really good goalkeepers coach. So once I hired a staff I hit the player market. The team had some good young players and some well established top guys, but was severely lacking in a few areas and needed overall depth. Here were my signings in the spring:

th_09_Canterbury_Transfers.jpg

I also signed all the good out of contract players and youth players to 2 or 3 year deals so hopefully we'll be a good team for a few seasons as it make take a bit for the team to gel.

In the spring rumors started flying about a board takeover by a consortium headed by a Russian businessman. What concerns me is that the news reports say they'll put in their own manager if they gain control of the club, and since I now have a transfer embargo imposed on me it seems like the negotiations are coming to a close. Hope they don't sack me before we ever play a game. That would suck, especially since I think I've built a really good team really quickly. We'll see what happens....

Don't want to promise anything as I cannot be totally sure but in most cases they keep the manager on after a takeover so I wouldn't worry too much.

After a disappointing result in the champions league last year, all at tottenham were expecting alot after the premiership win, and i duly delivered, after wins against FC Bayern,Lazio and Athletico Madrid in the 1st knockoup round, quarters and semi's respectively, i was faced with fellow EPL team Sunderland. Many will feel this would be an easy win! as it is Sunderland afterall, however Sunderland have finished in the top4 for the past 4 years, and are currently first in the league (im second).

So in the games leading up to the final i played second and third teams(thus finished 3rd in EPL), but it seemed to pay off !The Final was 2-2 after 90 mins, so i believe that the rest i gave the players(which sunderland did not) helped as i managed to win 3-2, with a peach from kadlec proving the difference.

So that me conquerd Europe now ! 3/6 done so far, time for a new challenge Africa perhaps ? :D

Acid ... 2022 European Champions League - Totttenham Hotspurs

Added and well done dude, that's a much harder team to grab the Champions League with than I used, half way there now. Great to see my team(Sunderland) becoming a decent force in football, who manages them?

Added and well done dude, that's a much harder team to grab the Champions League with than I used, half way there now. Great to see my team(Sunderland) becoming a decent force in football, who manages them?

Federico Vilar is the manager just now, and has been for past 5 years, obviously a good manager to do tht well with Sunderland! especially how when he took over they were 9th in the previous season, and have been top 4 ever since :p

So, post-season review.

After my travesty in the ACL final against Shenhua, and bitter disappointment, things took a turn. A turn for the worse. The domestic Chinese cup final was the match straight after, against Chanba. a mid table team. I felt it was in the bag, and yet I simply could not get a goal, after they scored on 4 minutes, thus ending 1-0 to Chanba. To say I was disappointed to lose two finals, back to back in the space of a few days was an understatement. I have no idea what went wrong either, and needless to say I was furious with the team. It wasn't worth anything, but I did really want to win the domestic cup after the long journey I had had to get to the final.

So, then just 4 more games of the Chinese Super League, with me and Shandong level on points, but them having G/D and head to head over me, taking first. Shenhua, 2 points behind, taking 3rd. Unfortunately, time was just running out far too quick, despite my late surge on the title. Then catastrophe, as I drew 3-3 with Guangzhou (only getting the draw, thanks to a last minute equaliser too, mind). Thankfully, I was in the race for one more week, as Shandong slipped up to a 2-2 draw with Chongqing, but if anything, that left me more frustrated that I hadn't beaten Guangzhou to take advantage.

Then, I went away to Liaoning, and had the "Score update" up, as Shandong went to Shenhua, 3rd place rivals for the title. Really hoped Thepathtoamen's Shenhua could do me a favour here. ;)

Shangdong scored first, but then went 2-1 down Shenhua before the break. Luckily, I got a fairly standard 2-0 win, with the second goal to seal the win on 88 minutes, relieving some pressure. Shangdong pulled it back to 2-2, but thank god, Shenhua held firm. If I won the final match, the title was mine, and it couldn't have been better, against already relegated Qingdao.

Shangdong got a 3-2 win at Chengdu, but my emphatic 4-0 win at Qingdao made it irrelevant, and I took the Chinese Super League title for the second time, back to back. :D

It was completely unexpected, as I started the season dreadfully, 4 straight draws, and at times slipping down to 10th in the league. Then with about 10 games to go, pulled myself back up to 4th place, on average, with a slip down to 5th, or step up to 3rd each week.

Finallly edged in front of Shenhua for 2nd, but consigned myself to my final position, as Shangdong were exceptional. Really, I was probably not the best team this season, but Shangdong slipped up at just the wrong moment for me to take it, and take it I will!

Shangdong's superiority

As said above, Shangdong were great all season. They topped goals scored, comfortably, as well as least conceded. They won player of the year, golden boot, had the most MOTM, the most assists, and generally kicked ass. They even beat me 6-0, the worst ass kicking I have ever taken. They even went 10 games without conceding at one point. Really, they must be baffled that they managed to throw this title away.

Miscellaneous

Final Season Statistics

Qu Bo had yet another great season with me, though he tailed off near the end of the season badly, and his ratio suffered a lot. Sandro, another purchase from the same season as Qu Bo did well, shifting between lone striker to supporting AMC. Cezar, only brought in this season, was exceptional for me. So often he lead the line by himself, or single handedly won matches. Han Yanming and Hao Junmin, both brought in this season as conventional wingers or AMC's when necessary, did well. Junmin in particular has had a lot of interest from Ligue 1 French clubs, so I may have a hard time holding onto him. Both contributed well though, good seasons, albeit not exceptional.

My real shout outs go to Xu Liang, who was brought in as LB, but can play LW also, scored a great amount of goals, and a ludicrous amount of assists, given his position. He has been a fantastic purchase for me, and he has even managed to out-do his great previous season. More of the same next season, Xu! Also, Wan Houliang, very dependable, and great asset to the squad.

Unfortunately, this post-season window is going to be hectic. As Scheidt, my Brazillian CB, has done great for me, but he is simply too old now, and I have to let him go. Junmin may be tempted by Ligue 1, and Sandro has been a bloody nightmare to get a contract extension for, but I got it in the end. Cezar, however, is a younger, better version of him, so I may look at a replacement for Sandro. Qu Bo is young, and will be my top striker next season again I suspect.

All in all, never in a million years expected the League for a second time in a row, also picking up manager of the year in the process for a second time, and it certainly takes the edge off a very disappointing season, to have got so close in two finals and lost both back to back.

The best thing is, it means I get another crack at the ACL next season, and I just need to hope I can go the final inch next time.

Year     Team                  League                        Achievements              
09/10   Canterbury Dragons  NZ Championship               Playoff Winners
10/11   Canterbury Dragons  NZ Championship               League Winners + O-League Winners 
11/12   Sheff Wednesday    Coca-Cola League 1             League 1 Champs 
12/13   Blackburn Rovers    Coca-Cola Championship        Championship Runner-up
13/14   Blackburn Rovers    English Premiership           Finished 9th, League Cup Winners
14/15    Lazio              Seria A                       Finished 8th
15/16    Cruz Azul          First Division                First Div Runner-Up, North American Champs League Winners
16/17   Independiente       Argentine Premier League      (sacked after continuous job applications for European teams)
16/17   Fiorentina          Seria A                       Finished 8th, Italian Cup Runners up
17/18   Fiorentina          Seria A                       Finished 3rd, Italian Cup Runners Up
18/19   Tottenham           Premiership                   Finished 10th
19/20   Tottenham           Premiership                   Finished 3rd
20/21   Tottenham           Premiership                   Finished 1st
21/22   Tottenham           Premiership                   Finished 3rd, European Champions League Winners
22/23   America(MEX)        First Division                Resigned(already won NACL :S)

Ok last time you heard from my save you I had just got to the semi's against Atlas of Mexico in the NACL I managed to get past them.

In the next two league games I lost both my key strikers to injury which meant they missed the first leg of the final. I had to play a 17 year old and a wingback who could play as a support striker up there. The final was against Chivas of Mexico and I was at home in the first leg. I managed to lose this 3-0 which is obviously not the best. I gave the team a good shouting at afterwards as not being able to score is no excuse for not defending. In the second leg (away) one of our strikers was back at partial fitness so I played him anyways looking to sub him at half time. Just after half time we scored, so one more goal would of taken it to extra time or even the chance to win in normal time. However it was not meant to be and my players could not find a way through so we ended up in second place.

Not sure if I qualified in my position last year but I doubt it so will have to make sure I do well in the league this time to ensure I qualify for next years NACL.

So, post-season review.

After my travesty in the ACL final against Shenhua, and bitter disappointment, things took a turn. A turn for the worse. The domestic Chinese cup final was the match straight after, against Chanba. a mid table team. I felt it was in the bag, and yet I simply could not get a goal, after they scored on 4 minutes, thus ending 1-0 to Chanba. To say I was disappointed to lose two finals, back to back in the space of a few days was an understatement. I have no idea what went wrong either, and needless to say I was furious with the team. It wasn't worth anything, but I did really want to win the domestic cup after the long journey I had had to get to the final.

So, then just 4 more games of the Chinese Super League, with me and Shandong level on points, but them having G/D and head to head over me, taking first. Shenhua, 2 points behind, taking 3rd. Unfortunately, time was just running out far too quick, despite my late surge on the title. Then catastrophe, as I drew 3-3 with Guangzhou (only getting the draw, thanks to a last minute equaliser too, mind). Thankfully, I was in the race for one more week, as Shandong slipped up to a 2-2 draw with Chongqing, but if anything, that left me more frustrated that I hadn't beaten Guangzhou to take advantage.

Then, I went away to Liaoning, and had the "Score update" up, as Shandong went to Shenhua, 3rd place rivals for the title. Really hoped Thepathtoamen's Shenhua could do me a favour here. ;)

Shangdong scored first, but then went 2-1 down Shenhua before the break. Luckily, I got a fairly standard 2-0 win, with the second goal to seal the win on 88 minutes, relieving some pressure. Shangdong pulled it back to 2-2, but thank god, Shenhua held firm. If I won the final match, the title was mine, and it couldn't have been better, against already relegated Qingdao.

Shangdong got a 3-2 win at Chengdu, but my emphatic 4-0 win at Qingdao made it irrelevant, and I took the Chinese Super League title for the second time, back to back. :D

It was completely unexpected, as I started the season dreadfully, 4 straight draws, and at times slipping down to 10th in the league. Then with about 10 games to go, pulled myself back up to 4th place, on average, with a slip down to 5th, or step up to 3rd each week.

Finallly edged in front of Shenhua for 2nd, but consigned myself to my final position, as Shangdong were exceptional. Really, I was probably not the best team this season, but Shangdong slipped up at just the wrong moment for me to take it, and take it I will!

Shangdong's superiority

As said above, Shangdong were great all season. They topped goals scored, comfortably, as well as least conceded. They won player of the year, golden boot, had the most MOTM, the most assists, and generally kicked ass. They even beat me 6-0, the worst ass kicking I have ever taken. They even went 10 games without conceding at one point. Really, they must be baffled that they managed to throw this title away.

Miscellaneous

Final Season Statistics

Qu Bo had yet another great season with me, though he tailed off near the end of the season badly, and his ratio suffered a lot. Sandro, another purchase from the same season as Qu Bo did well, shifting between lone striker to supporting AMC. Cezar, only brought in this season, was exceptional for me. So often he lead the line by himself, or single handedly won matches. Han Yanming and Hao Junmin, both brought in this season as conventional wingers or AMC's when necessary, did well. Junmin in particular has had a lot of interest from Ligue 1 French clubs, so I may have a hard time holding onto him. Both contributed well though, good seasons, albeit not exceptional.

My real shout outs go to Xu Liang, who was brought in as LB, but can play LW also, scored a great amount of goals, and a ludicrous amount of assists, given his position. He has been a fantastic purchase for me, and he has even managed to out-do his great previous season. More of the same next season, Xu! Also, Wan Houliang, very dependable, and great asset to the squad.

Unfortunately, this post-season window is going to be hectic. As Scheidt, my Brazillian CB, has done great for me, but he is simply too old now, and I have to let him go. Junmin may be tempted by Ligue 1, and Sandro has been a bloody nightmare to get a contract extension for, but I got it in the end. Cezar, however, is a younger, better version of him, so I may look at a replacement for Sandro. Qu Bo is young, and will be my top striker next season again I suspect.

All in all, never in a million years expected the League for a second time in a row, also picking up manager of the year in the process for a second time, and it certainly takes the edge off a very disappointing season, to have got so close in two finals and lost both back to back.

The best thing is, it means I get another crack at the ACL next season, and I just need to hope I can go the final inch next time.

Nice season review, I think you can go out and win it next season. Good luck.

how do you use genie scout to target realistic signings when you're at clubs like the ones in the NZ league and likewise with the appropriate level in asia, s.america etc??

its all well and good just searching players that are free or got good potential but they are not interested n cant be obtained... im only using while in the more unknown leagues before moving on.

im doing well without it, but i want it there as an optio if i need the odd player to fill a space

Right, I finally want to get going on this challenge. One thing holding me back at the moment and that's how many leagues I can get away with loading.

My laptop is pretty rubbish. Intel Dual Core 1.66GHz and 3GB RAM. Can anyone advise me on how many leagues I could get away with running at once?

I was thinking of going for:

Africa: Egypt & South Africa

Asia: Australia & India

Europe: England & Germany

North America: Mexico

Oceania: New Zealand

South America: Brazil

Top two of each league (apart from those that are single tier). That would give me 15 leagues from 9 countries.

Anyone have any experience of running this save on a similar spec laptop?

Hmmm, maybe you're right Thepathtoamen.

I thought I would chuck India in there for something different as it is a personal favourite. Not sure how easy it would be to win the Asian version of the Champions League there though but could be fun trying!

Earlier this evening, I ran a test with the setup above and holidayed for a year while I was doing other things. I came back and discovered that it had taken about 1 hour 30 minutes. I suppose that's about 7 and a half minutes a month. Does that sound all right? Would any of you lot consider that a reasonable speed? I also don't want it to end up running really slowly in the future, which is my main concern.

Believe it or not, I've never played a save with more than 5 countries as I've always been afraid that my computer will go into meltdown and that I'll have wasted my time on a save that will ultimately have to come to an early end! I know that I can get away with around five countries. I ran a career save on FM08 that lasted a good while with 14 leagues from 5 countries loaded and a medium database.

Maybe I should just pick one country from each continent. Decisions, decisions. :rolleyes:

If you know you can run 5 countries then one more won't hurt so if I would pick one from each and run it. But to be honest it should be ok to like 2030 I reckon before you get really annoyed at how slow it is but you will most likely have completed it by then :) On my comp if it was running at 100% in 2010 then at 2021 I am about 85% quick so not to bad at all really.

If you know you can run 5 countries then one more won't hurt so if I would pick one from each and run it. But to be honest it should be ok to like 2030 I reckon before you get really annoyed at how slow it is but you will most likely have completed it by then :) On my comp if it was running at 100% in 2010 then at 2021 I am about 85% quick so not to bad at all really.

Hmmmn. Good idea. I think I'll just play it safe.

This is where it gets tough then. Which countries to knock off?

I'll take Germany over England as I always play in England and it will be nice to go back to Deutschland.

Australia over India makes sense.

Egypt or South Africa though? :confused: I think Egypt!

There we go, wasn't so hard. :D

Crouchy's World Tour - The Continental Dominance Challenge

Right, I'm in. After promising Acidburn that I would give this a shot when he first came up with it, I'm finally going to get around to trying it out.

I love the idea of managing in a number of countries I have never entertained the idea of loading up on FM before. I also love the idea of the challenge in general. I badly want to win all six continental trophies!

I've decided to load the following leagues:

Africa: Egypt (1), South Africa (1)

Asia: Australia (1)

Europe: Germany (2)

North America: Mexico (2)

Oceania: New Zealand (1)

South America: Brazil (2)

That's 10 leagues from 7 countries and I'm intending to use a medium database. My laptop is a bit rubbish so I've played it safe with these selections. It also contains one or two countries that I've been wanting to play in for a while. Egypt and Mexico, in particular, are two countries that I have visited in recent years and I'm interested in the football of both nations. While in Mexico, I remember watching the final of the Primera División de México Apertura 2008 on television where Toluca ended up beating Cruz Azul on penalties. It was a great match and occasion, and I've always meant to try Mexico on FM after that. As for Egypt, I loved visiting the country and recently saw their national team play England in the pre-World Cup friendly. It's another place I've always wanted to 'go' to on FM. I'm also very curious to try South Africa and I love managing in Germany and it's about time I returned there for another go at managing one their clubs on FM. So I'm looking forward to this save.

It will be quite a slow save though as I'll be playing it alongside my Saints save and I'm also a very slow player but hopefully I'll get quite a few seasons done and I will keep playing it until I complete the challenge, which might take forever! :D

So I followed the rules and made up a manager with automatic reputation. I started unemployed and accepted the first job I was offered, which was.......

Canterbury United Dragons

CU_Dragons_Logo.jpg

Canterbury United FC is based in Christchurch, New Zealand. The club plays most of its matches at English Park in Christchurch. It looks as though they will be a decent challenge to start off with, with the chairman willing to listen to offers and the team predicted to finish 5th out of eight teams.

Come on you Dragons! :D

how do you use genie scout to target realistic signings when you're at clubs like the ones in the NZ league and likewise with the appropriate level in asia, s.america etc??

its all well and good just searching players that are free or got good potential but they are not interested n cant be obtained... im only using while in the more unknown leagues before moving on.

im doing well without it, but i want it there as an optio if i need the odd player to fill a space

It is just as easy not to use it when in places like New Zealand just get the assman to filter unrealistic targets and search for free players search through them and it is easy to find multiple players in all positions that will come to your club.

New Zealand, the place where the number of pre-season games almost outnumbers the number of league games. Love it. :D

Good to have you trying the challenge Crouchy. Canterbury seem to be quite a common choice to start with along with Auckland City, New Zealand is a decent start as it is probably the easiest to win the OFC champions league and get things rolling. Main thing in New Zealand to remember is that Argentinians and Brazilians on free transfers are our friends.

Ive been trying to dowload New Zealand but am new to downloading leagues of the internet and this message came up...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16" ?>

- <record>

- <record id="rule_group">

<boolean id="use_game_rules" value="false" />

- <record id="season_update_day">

<integer id="day_of_month" value="1" />

<string id="month" value="aug" />

</record>

<date id="start_date" day="1" month="9" year="2009" hours="0" minutes="0" />

<date id="end_date" day="1" month="2" year="2010" hours="0" minutes="0" />

<unsigned id="nation" value="1438" />

- <list id="league_comps">

- <record>

<unsigned id="competition" value="432262" />

<string id="use_game_rules" value="not_in_game" />

<boolean id="has_sub_divisions" value="false" />

<string id="type" value="league" />

<integer id="minimum_number_teams" value="8" />

<integer id="maximum_number_teams" value="8" />

<integer id="number_rounds" value="2" />

<string id="priority" value="league_low" />

<real id="initial_tv_money" value="0.000000" />

<real id="parachute_money" value="0.000000" />

<integer id="promotion_places" value="0" />

<integer id="relegation_places" value="0" />

<boolean id="b_teams_cannot_be_promoted" value="false" />

- <list id="sort_value">

<string value="goal_difference" />

<string value="goals_for" />

<string value="own_match" />

</list>

<boolean id="use_specified_fixtures" value="false" />

<date id="start_date" day="25" month="9" year="2009" hours="0" minutes="0" />

<date id="end_date" day="28" month="1" year="2010" hours="0" minutes="0" />

- <record id="match_days">

<string id="day_of_week" value="sat" />

<integer id="time" value="1500" />

</record>

<string id="check_clashes" value="none" />

<list id="tv_dates" />

<list id="league_fixtures" />

<list id="opening_league_fixtures" />

<list id="closing_league_fixtures" />

<list id="prize_money" />

<string id="subs_rules" value="three_from_five" />

<list id="match_fixture_rules" />

<list id="squad_fixture_rules" />

- <record id="champ_playoff">

<string id="type" value="cup" />

<integer id="number_places" value="4" />

</record>

</record>

</list>

<list id="cup_comps" />

- <record id="accumulative_method">

<string id="sequence" value="2_3_4" />

<integer id="games_banned" value="1" />

<string id="start_date" value="immediate" />

</record>

- <record id="red_card_info">

<string id="red_card_rule" value="x_match_per_red_card" />

</record>

<list id="transfer_windows" />

- <record id="discipline_rules">

</record>

</record>

</record>

</record>

<list id="files" />

<string id="description" />

<string id="author" />

</record>

any help :s

I think starting New Zealand is the tradition for this challenge, isn't it? :D

It also makes the most sense from a 'career' perspective. A bit like starting off in Non-League football in England.

Looking forward to trying this out. Something totally different for me.

That's why I liked the idea that on my career I moved to the A-League by managing the only New Zealand based team in that league. The challenge was my first career on FM that involved more than a couple of teams I am now managing my 12th side.

elliotick I have not got a clue about that stuff sorry.

I can only scout in Oceania with the Dragons. I only tend to buy players that I can scout so I will probably be doing it the hard way. :rolleyes:

That is the hard way, also worth checking the New Zealand under 21's.

Ive been trying to dowload New Zealand but am new to downloading leagues of the internet and this message came up...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16" ?>

- <record>

- <record id="rule_group">

<boolean id="use_game_rules" value="false" />

- <record id="season_update_day">

<integer id="day_of_month" value="1" />

<string id="month" value="aug" />

</record>

<date id="start_date" day="1" month="9" year="2009" hours="0" minutes="0" />

<date id="end_date" day="1" month="2" year="2010" hours="0" minutes="0" />

<unsigned id="nation" value="1438" />

- <list id="league_comps">

- <record>

<unsigned id="competition" value="432262" />

<string id="use_game_rules" value="not_in_game" />

<boolean id="has_sub_divisions" value="false" />

<string id="type" value="league" />

<integer id="minimum_number_teams" value="8" />

<integer id="maximum_number_teams" value="8" />

<integer id="number_rounds" value="2" />

<string id="priority" value="league_low" />

<real id="initial_tv_money" value="0.000000" />

<real id="parachute_money" value="0.000000" />

<integer id="promotion_places" value="0" />

<integer id="relegation_places" value="0" />

<boolean id="b_teams_cannot_be_promoted" value="false" />

- <list id="sort_value">

<string value="goal_difference" />

<string value="goals_for" />

<string value="own_match" />

</list>

<boolean id="use_specified_fixtures" value="false" />

<date id="start_date" day="25" month="9" year="2009" hours="0" minutes="0" />

<date id="end_date" day="28" month="1" year="2010" hours="0" minutes="0" />

- <record id="match_days">

<string id="day_of_week" value="sat" />

<integer id="time" value="1500" />

</record>

<string id="check_clashes" value="none" />

<list id="tv_dates" />

<list id="league_fixtures" />

<list id="opening_league_fixtures" />

<list id="closing_league_fixtures" />

<list id="prize_money" />

<string id="subs_rules" value="three_from_five" />

<list id="match_fixture_rules" />

<list id="squad_fixture_rules" />

- <record id="champ_playoff">

<string id="type" value="cup" />

<integer id="number_places" value="4" />

</record>

</record>

</list>

<list id="cup_comps" />

</record>

</record>

<list id="transfer_windows" />

- <record id="discipline_rules">

</record>

</record>

</record>

</record>

<list id="files" />

<string id="description" />

<string id="author" />

</record>

any help :s

Copy and paste it into a notepad file and save as an XML. Then place it in the data editor directory as you would do a normal competitions file. Should work.

I found a couple of decent players in Tahiti (think I spelt that right) so maybe a look over there might be worth it.
That is the hard way, also worth checking the New Zealand under 21's.

I'll give it a go. Cheers. :thup:

Currently having a big clear out as there is a lot of rubbish in my current squad!

I also found that; at Auckland there was close to 40 players and in a 14 game league thats mad! Guess it was because there was no reserves or youth set-up there.

I noticed that there were tonnes of players at most New Zealand teams I looked at.

Not having any reserves or youth is the reason that the squads are so big. It's a bit annoying as I would like to get rid of the youth players and banish some of my transfer listed players to the reserves.

Anyway, I've basically spent all of this time signing up a new team. :D Happy with every position for now apart from the goalkeeper. Can't seem to find a decent 'keeper for the life of me right now.

Not having any reserves or youth is the reason that the squads are so big. It's a bit annoying as I would like to get rid of the youth players and banish some of my transfer listed players to the reserves.

Anyway, I've basically spent all of this time signing up a new team. :D Happy with every position for now apart from the goalkeeper. Can't seem to find a decent 'keeper for the life of me right now.

In which case I wish you good luck for the season :D

Kansas City lost in the final of the second cup competion to the NACL called the SuperLiga. This is team is going to be a bunch of nearly men :) two finals in one season and no luck at all. I managed to go out in the first round of the US cup as well to Miami FC who have gone one to make the final so it would be nice to go out to the eventual winners. However I am just over halfway through the season and am in second place 5 points behind 1st but with 2 games in hand so I am hopeful of making the play offs again.

Made some good signings, managed to get a designated player to sign on nearly 30K a week, he was on a free from Barcelona and is my best striker according to the AssMan but is 33 so should only be for 1 or 2 seasons. I have also managed to root out some of the deadwood and replace them with better players, however I am going to release one of my young left wingbacks and a chinese attacking midfielder I brought in on a free as I feel they are not good enough. I am also on the look out for a good midfielder as I brought in Wilson Palacios (who is currently at Spurs in real life) who has done a good job in his time with me but at 37 years old he is on a major decline, he tends to struggle after about 60 minutes, however he is pretty good in those 60 minutes. I think one more season with him moving to a backup role and then I will let him go. I bought in a central defender as well on a free who was 17 at the time and highly recommended after he was released from a brazilian club and he is now worth almost 2 million and is my best defender so not a bad bit of business there as well for an 18 year old who will only get better.

Archived