Continental Dominance Challenge

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update

Was on holiday for a week then had to change from a desktop to a new laptop. Heres my bumper update:

Brazilian Championship 2013

Final League table - Taking over at the mid point in the season I was gutted to just miss out on the title. In Brazil it comes down to which team won the most games.

Best Player Award

Internet Player of the Year

Midfielder of the Year

South American Team of the Year

Transfers

Transfer History 2013 - With so much money taken in from transfers I was able to radically change the shape of my squad. Although I did sign quite a few players who were not eligble to play until the end of the 2013 season. Dammit. Anyone else playing in Brazil beware, if you sign them after the State Championships they will be unavailable until after the Brazilian Championship finishes.

Sao Paulo State Championship 2014

Final League Table - Very straight forward to be honest, managed to blood quite a few 'promising' youngsters throughout the season

Playoff Semi Final

Playoff Final - Palmeiras are the current Copa Libertadores Champions and I was delighted to take their scalp and the trophy.

Team of the Year

Young Player of the Year

Transfers

Transfer History 2014 - I have really enjoyed, for the first time in this career, being able to really form 'my own' squad. Very, VERY, difficult to keep the European clubs from unsettling my star players though.

Brazilian Championship 2014

Current Brazilian Championship League Table (2014) - Happy with my efforts so far. There are so many fixtures with the State Championship then the Copa Libertadores then the Brazilian Championship. Injuries and tiredness have affected my squad for several crucial games so far but I'm hoping this will pick up now and I can catch Fluminese.

Copa Libertadores

Fixtures/Results - I was a huge outsider for this tournament and got very lucky in the group stage draw. Delighted to win it at my first attempt, although it was touch and go in the 2nd leg of the final!!!

Best Player Award

Top Scorer

Jobs:

AC Milan

Juventus

Palermo

Villareal

As you can see lots of links to Italy, which has been evident throughout my career so far. I'm hoping that Europe will be my next destination.

I was offered the Egypt national job after their poor African Cup of Nations display but I really wanted to see through my time with Belgium at the World Cup.

I was also approached by Reggina, just promoted to Serie A, but I think I can get a bigger job than that now.

Players:

Here are some of my favourite players at the moment in my Santos team...

Felipe - Great keeper and holds the record for most apprearances at the club

Ganso - One of, if not THE, best player in South America at the moment

Henrique - My biggest signing in this challenge so far. Went on a 36 game, yes 36 game, unbeaten run from the minute this guy took up my holding role

Luiz Henrique - this wonderkid has been a nightmare to keep a hold of, rejecting bids almost weekly. I hope to take him with me wherever I go

Pimba - Very attacking midfield player who arrives late in the box and plays in the 'hole'

Roberto - Signed for a bargain £2.5mil, this wonderkid has just earned his first cap for Brazil and will hopefully follow me to my next managerial destination

Tardelli - The experienced striker has had a tremendous impact on so many games either starting or coming off the bench to score the winner

International Management

Belgium

Fixtures 2013 - Delighted to qualify for the 2014 World Cup

Fixtures 2014 - Terrible start to the World Cup but managed to qualify before facing an incredible Italian side who brushed my over achieving boys aside

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge progress:

Oceanic Champions League

Asian Champions League

South American Champions League

To do:

European Champions League

North American Champions League

African Champions League

Well done on completing the challenge AcidBurn.

Seems to be quite a lot of people doing it now. Its interesting to see how everyones careers take them off in totally different directions, other than the NZ start.

Neilez you appear to be heading in the same direction as me, if you go for the African next I'll know you definitly copying me :p

Congrats on south American all the same.

Cheers mate. Delighted with how it went with Santos. To be honest the money that I had to spend made the team for me. I was gutted at first about the loss of their big 3 players just before I arrived but it allowed me to get in exactly the type of players I needed to do well.

Don't think I'll be going to Africa next to be honest. I fancy a shot in Europe while I can still sign some of todays big names. I haven't experience that in FM 2010 yet.

Still plodding along in my Beijing save. After I finished league winners first time of asking (at Beijing anyway, obviously Wuhan sacked me the previous season) for the first time in the clubs history no less, I have been building for the Asian CL.

Changed my formation, brought in a new keeper who has been fine so far. Brought in a new LB, Danny Quaye, so I could push Xu Liang further up the pitch. Brought in Han Yanming for the ACM spot in rotation with Sandro from last season. And also brought in a RW player too. Brought in a new CB also, so quite a big change.

Formation is now a 4-3-1-2 with the 3 consisting of a DM and 2 wingers. It...hasn't exactly worked wonders, but I am doing alright.

However, before I talk about the league and ACL attempt, I need to say, I have Real Madrid as a parent club, and so a friendly was arranged, and I beat Real Madrid 4-2 :D Admittedly...Only a pre-season friendly, but they starte Kaka, Raul, etc., lots of big names. I was...absolutely baffled watching that match.

Right. Back to business. The league has been alright...First 4 games were all 1-1 draws. It was horrific, even against relegation candidates, I would score early on, and then proceed to batter the other team for 80 minutes without scoring, before conceding in the final 10 or so minutes. Every. Damn. Game.

Luckily, I managed to get a few 1-0 wins in a row, and have jumped up to 2nd or 3rd, so it's not too bad.

ACL, I got put in with Melbourne Victory, some team from Iraq and some team from India. Only the top team progresses the group stage, but fortunately I coasted it with 6 wins out of 6, lots of goals and only a couple conceded. Awesomely, this puts me through to the quarter final straight off.

So, although my team is...very much stumbling it's way along, clumsily managing to do just enough, it's going alright. Wait and see who I get drawn against...

Cheers mate. Delighted with how it went with Santos. To be honest the money that I had to spend made the team for me. I was gutted at first about the loss of their big 3 players just before I arrived but it allowed me to get in exactly the type of players I needed to do well.

Don't think I'll be going to Africa next to be honest. I fancy a shot in Europe while I can still sign some of todays big names. I haven't experience that in FM 2010 yet.

That exactly why I went to Europe I guess I was just lucky that Real Madrid had been so poor for a couple of years before I joined. Things seem to be going very well for you good luck.

Hi Guys

Started this the other day and love it.

I can't go into as much detail as others e.g. screenies as I am at work!!

Got a job in New Zealand with YoungHeart... Strengthened with free transfers but I'm £375 over my wage budget but hoping that I will get more funds for wages in the new season.

Season started well winning all my pre-season games and then winning the first 3 games of the league season. Went down hill around Christmas with injuries and a poorly timed international competition meaning alot of players not available.

I ended up finishing 3rd on the last day of the season and won the Champions Playoff final 3-0 against Otago Utd (whom I had previously lost to twice in the league).

I am currently awaiting for the new season to start however I have a question that I am hoping someone can help answer (I have tried looking on the OC League rules and NZ Championship rules but cant find the answer) - The draw was made for the OC League, however I wasn't in it!!

Team Wellington were in there as the only representative from New Zealand. Now they did finish 1st in the league but then lost in the Semi Final of the Champions Playoff to Otago Utd so I am thinking that maybe you have to finish 1st? But then what would be the purpose of the Champions Playoff?! The only other explanation I can think of is that this years (2010) competitors qualified through last seasons NZ Championship (2008 - 2009)...

Can anyone help me?

Cheers

Not sure I can help you too much, in the New Zealand league that I downloaded the winners of the play-off's went into the OFC Champions League about 6 weeks after the play-off's.

If it's not too much trouble can everyone who is 2 or more trophies into the challenge please post what year they won what trophy in and with which team. I am thinking of updating the first post so that we can easily keep track of who has won what.

Walker 700 ... i found the same in my save, where only the team who finished first went into the CL regardless on playoff results. Just need to make sure you come 1st next year, only short season so shldnt take too long.

AcidBurn ... i won the the OFC Champioins league with Canterbury Dragons in 2011, and won the North American Champions League with Cruz Azul in 2016 :D:) only completed 2 so far but looking promising this year (Y) and congrats on completing the challenge.

God knows how but this Valencia team are starting to pull themselves together. I have had a firm hand in management and seem to be heading for the Capello type of management handing out fines for red cards and such. I think the team are suddenly realising I am not mucking about here and want to do well with them.

I am 7th in the league but I am not really concentrating on that and am resting players and giving them a week off training in the run up to the CL matches. I am into the quarter finals as we speak with a lucky 4-4 win over Milan. They won the first leg at the San Siro 4-1 but their re-gen defender and Pato the striker got injured in between matches which made it easier for us, so I threw everyone forward and played 3 stikers in the second leg and went for broke and held it for a 3-0 win so am through by skin of my teeth on away goals. I gave the team the week off after this and I ended up losing to Getafe in the league but not to bothered by this as long as they are fit for the quarters against Man City in a couple of weeks time. Cross your fingers for me, but I am more hopeful of beating them than Milan.

Woo Hoo, so proud of this result. CL quarters, again most of my first time all rested for a week or so beforehand. First leg at Man City and we manage to hold them to 0-0 so a bore draw which is what I went for with a rigid display.

Thought there is a big chance I can do them at my place and went for it with a high attacking mentality we ended up letting in 3 which was annoying, but was also a by-the-by as we scored 7! Almost every shot ended in a goal.

So it is Valencia through to the semi's. Have to wait for the draw and hope for the best, but will be holding out for a draw at their place again and then going for it in the similar style I just have.

Been reading this thread and i'm in ...

Loaded up the following leagues ..

Oceania - New Zealand,

Asia - Australia, Iran, South Korea

Africa - Algeria, Egypt

South America - Brazil,

North America - USA

Europe - England, Spain

.. and the First job offer comes in Canterbury Dragons since everyone got them i decided to be different and delay for a week and i got Auckland City accepted the job and we currently sit here.

Been reading this thread and i'm in ...

Loaded up the following leagues ..

Oceania - New Zealand,

Asia - Australia, Iran, South Korea

Africa - Algeria, Egypt

South America - Brazil,

North America - USA

Europe - England, Spain

.. and the First job offer comes in Canterbury Dragons since everyone got them i decided to be different and delay for a week and i got Auckland City accepted the job and we currently sit here.

Same start as me, good luck dude nice to see someone else joining the thread.

Woo Hoo, so proud of this result. CL quarters, again most of my first time all rested for a week or so beforehand. First leg at Man City and we manage to hold them to 0-0 so a bore draw which is what I went for with a rigid display.

Thought there is a big chance I can do them at my place and went for it with a high attacking mentality we ended up letting in 3 which was annoying, but was also a by-the-by as we scored 7! Almost every shot ended in a goal.

So it is Valencia through to the semi's. Have to wait for the draw and hope for the best, but will be holding out for a draw at their place again and then going for it in the similar style I just have.

Great result I hope you can win it and then go on to grab the last trophy. Keep us updated.

Come on! :D Played the semi-final of the Euro CL. First leg at home against Chelsea, I was not expecting to win and I nicked it 1-0 which is not the best result when I have to go and play against a mean 'Chelsea Stadium' crowd. I turned up and told my players not to be complacent and to try and keep the ball and grab an away goal. at Half-time it is 0-0 so I am happy with this. At 46 minutes they score and I am thinking OK thats it its over, but they can't score again as my defense battens down the hatches and holds on and it gets to 90 minutes.

I tell the lads they have done well and one more goal should do it! They head out and at 96 minutes with us pushing forwards we were leaving gaps at the back and Eden Hazard ran through and scored. My heart dropped now and I though oh well. But as it by magic on 119 minutes we hit the ball high and long and my striker runs on and pops it in the net, beautiful! so we got though by the skin again on away goals and are in the final!

Ok finished my first season with Valencia well half season as I joined them in December. I was through the group stages of the champions league and decided to concentrate on this rather than the league and hopefully make my stay in Europe a short one. I used the first few games as a test to find what the team were missing and who my best 11 were. After this I was in January so I bought 4 players, Koita and Abdel Kader from Al-Ahly and two midfielders from Germany. I bedded them in and then rested at least half my first team each week to ensure they were fresh for the CL games. This resulted in me gaining a disappointing 7th place and I was 9 points off 4th so you can imagine the difference in class in the teams I was putting out.

As you saw from my posts above I made it to the final of the CL against Athletic Madrid. I played a second and 3rd string team in the remaining 4 games leading up to it to ensure no injuries occurred to my best 11. The game started well, I told the boys to go out and do this for the fans and bring home the trophy, and they started brightly and tested the keeper a few times but nothing serious and it was 0-0 at half time. I told the boys we needed one goal to win it and they went out jeered up.

In a routine corner veteran midfielder David Silva (35) popped the ball into the middle of the box and my centreback jumped up and headed it into the top corner, the fans went wild. Sadly we were able to withstand the storm until 88 minutes when a decent cross from their winger allowed Nicolas Bendtner to score from close range to take it to extra time.

My defenders were exhausted but I told them to go out and bring home the bacon and make the fans proud and this seemed to perk them up. because on 93 minutes a lovely through ball allowed my star striker to score into the side of the goal and this launched my players into the second wind and we were always going to win it then. Although it took until just after half time in extra time for Vela to head in from a cross to make it definitely ours and to put the icing on the cake, their star defender scored an own goal on 117 minutes to put the ball fully in our court. The European Champions league went home to Valencia tonight.

Now to head to north America and the tricky MLS or the slightly simpler Mexican league. I am thinking Mexico personally.

EDIT: Acid can you update the first post for me please to add this to my completed trophies. Thanks mate. :D

Congrats Thepathtoamen, sounds like a pretty exhilarating CL run!

Mean while...I am still plodding along in China, through to the Semi's of the Asian CL though I think, so wait and see. Got so many games all of a sudden, got the domestic cup (which I didn't have last season, as I got knocked out first round), got the ACL obviously which I didn't last season either, got the league, and then got the East Asian Champions Cup or something, that seemed to appear out of nowhere, and I was entered.

It took me a while but I finally got hired by another club. I ended up in the same place most of you started in, with a club many of you took: Auckland City in New Zealand. They're almost at the end of their 2009-2010 season and are last in their league. Hopefully I can get them back to the top next season. At least they have a full roster. :D

Auckland City - Season 2009/10.

There was only 4 games left of the normal season and we didn't have to do much to make the Championship playoffs, we finished second in the League and went on to win the playoffs.

I brought in alot of players to a squad that i really don't know how they was sitting joint top when i take over. I trialled alot and eventually brought a few of them in.

Transfers.

3 best players i got in;

Phil Edginton

Chris Megaloudis

Josip Magdip

I have moved over to the MLS in search of my final champions league trophy. I was manager of Valencia until the end of June 2020 when Kansas City decided to sack their manager (although I have no idea why when you see the table). As you can see they are well placed in the table and are 9 points in the lead with 14 games to go. I am also entered into the NACL but this has yet to start so will be giving this my best shot at winning straight off. Still working out my best team and stuff so will update again at the end of the season.

Acid, sorry to be annoying but do you want to add the year 2020 to my Valencia CL win? Up to you. cheers bud.

Done, not annoying at all, I wanted to know but only just saw the year a few posts above. Might have missed it in previous posts, I did PM you I think.

hi there all you fellow challengers. first time post on this thread and gotta say... in the short space of takin up this challenge, am really enjoying it.

it has started very well taking up the vacant job of auckland city, winning the nz championship with ease (not blowing a trumpet of my own!!) but now in the oceanic CL and doig well in the group stage..

updates can be provided if needs be..

im not thinkin too much about the future and where i want to go but little part of me is thinking of Oz... anwhoo im really enjoying it in NZ but not very familiar with anything out of europe, especially england and spain where ive played my only two games, and a very short game in MLS which i didnt enjoy at all. its challenging (go figure!) just to get to know the teams when you have no idea about the leagues and players so im just trying to find out about who and what it is all about... if that makes sense!!

by the way, ive loaded up the leages from each continent that seem most popular on here, two form each, just the norm and im enjoying reading everyones stories (ive only managed to read just over two pages!)

i have only one question if someone can answer it;

in the rules it was said it was ok to use genie scout and thats what i intend to do. however, i find it difficult to search for players on there that would be within my grasp. i search for the best talent but obv got no chance until i get s.america or europe so need to find players that will be willing to play for pittance and sign for nothing. and this could also apply to when i move onto other areas such as asia and africa etc...

so to put it simply, whats the best way to use genie scout to search for players that are suitable for each given situation.

ive tried adjusting to no transfer fee and low wages but it brings up loads of free transfers but stil way out of my league

so any help would eb appreciated

thanks in advance

Due to a computer issue I lost my original save so I've had to restart. I'm back to December, 2008. I have most of the same nations enabled as I had before, but instead of China and the Cook Islands I have Australia & Israel. So my nations are:

Argentina

Brazil

Australia (not sure if you guys realized, but I believe Australia plays in the Asian Champions League, not the OCL)

New Zealand

France

Israel

Italy

Mexico

USA

Nigeria

South Africa

South Korea

As before I only enabled the top leagues in each nation. When the save starts there are 15 teams open + about a dozen national teams. This time instead of applying for all jobs that are open I'm going to try to be more selective and only apply for jobs at teams that seem to have a reasonable chance of winning. Don't want to repeat what happened to me last time. I'm also going to apply for all the national jobs that are open and take the highest ranked nation that approaches me. I figure this will give me a boost in reputation while I wait for a club to hire me. I do know that we have to take one of the first 2 club jobs offered to us so I hope I won't be unemployed too long this time.

After following your career thread and getting myself a new laptop, I've decided to finally play a save with more than a couple of leagues running! I've gone with the following setup, which should allow me to try out some new countries - I've only played England, Russia and Iceland on this version of FM!

League numbers in brackets

Africa: Egypt (2), Ghana (2)

Asia: China (2), South Korea (1)

Europe: Holland (2), Spain (3)

North America: Honduras (2), Mexico (2)

Oceania: New Zealand (1)

South America: Argentina (2), Paraguay (2)

I've taken the role of Sanchez Cordoba, my Mexican/Spanish alter-ego, and the plan is to start in NZ and saving Mexico and Spain for last.

My initial applications were sent out, and as you can see I was quickly given the job at Auckland City, so already have a lot to live up to!

---------------------------------------------

The first season finished with us sitting in third place despite a shaky start, which was good enough for the Championship Playoffs. A gutsy 3-2 win away at Canterbury (who had beaten us in both league games) saw us into the final against Wellington (likewise), and a late goal was enough to see us crowned champions!

Unfortunately, the league I downloaded for New Zealand gives the O-League spot to the team topping the regular season, and so Team Wellington were given the opportunity only to be embarrassed by Ba Electric in the final! Grabbing that first spot has to be priority for next season, and then hopefully a move to Africa or Asia will be forthcoming. I'm already being linked to a number of jobs in the Spanish 'B' divisions (including Espanyol B and Atletico B), probably thanks to my second nationality, but Europe is some way off for the time being. Time to cement my position as New Zealand's finest, then think about moving on!

PS. What do you guys do about the NZ summer break? It's so long!

After following your career thread and getting myself a new laptop, I've decided to finally play a save with more than a couple of leagues running! I've gone with the following setup, which should allow me to try out some new countries - I've only played England, Russia and Iceland on this version of FM!

League numbers in brackets

Africa: Egypt (2), Ghana (2)

Asia: China (2), South Korea (1)

Europe: Holland (2), Spain (3)

North America: Honduras (2), Mexico (2)

Oceania: New Zealand (1)

South America: Argentina (2), Paraguay (2)

I've taken the role of Sanchez Cordoba, my Mexican/Spanish alter-ego, and the plan is to start in NZ and saving Mexico and Spain for last.

My initial applications were sent out, and as you can see I was quickly given the job at Auckland City, so already have a lot to live up to!

---------------------------------------------

The first season finished with us sitting in third place despite a shaky start, which was good enough for the Championship Playoffs. A gutsy 3-2 win away at Canterbury (who had beaten us in both league games) saw us into the final against Wellington (likewise), and a late goal was enough to see us crowned champions!

Unfortunately, the league I downloaded for New Zealand gives the O-League spot to the team topping the regular season, and so Team Wellington were given the opportunity only to be embarrassed by Ba Electric in the final! Grabbing that first spot has to be priority for next season, and then hopefully a move to Africa or Asia will be forthcoming. I'm already being linked to a number of jobs in the Spanish 'B' divisions (including Espanyol B and Atletico B), probably thanks to my second nationality, but Europe is some way off for the time being. Time to cement my position as New Zealand's finest, then think about moving on!

PS. What do you guys do about the NZ summer break? It's so long!

Glad you liked my career thread. The NZ summer break is a bit long, I just holidayed for a few months in between seasons. Interesting to see you not pick Australia seems to be a popular league to pick.

Ah sorry didn't see that I had a PM. Old age getting to me ;)

How is life at Stoke?

Not played that much to be honest, just spending the millions and millions available in January. Don't think I can win the league this season but maybe next, as soon as I get the champions league I will leave again. I really fancy returning to one of my old teams for a few years just not sure if that is possible.

At the end of my first season a Kancas city although it was not a full season and 15 games or so. I made two signings in the mid season window, two vetren players 37 year old Klass jan Huntelaar and 36 year old Wilson Palacios both of who did well and were first team. This MLS league is quyite hard and to be honest I am not the biggest fan of it, but going to give it one full season to see how I do for the whole year.

The league went a bit bad from being 9 points in front I ended up here, and in the playoffs I went out in the semi. However the team was in the NACL from last year and so I was determined to give it a good shot. The final group table looked like this, with the next rounds to carry on next season. I need some new players though as several teams have picked off my best ones.

Archived