The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

I would love for us to go for the win, but am happy watching us 'block' this one out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nas would go for the win. I remember when he did it against South Africa, probably only cos Cronje had a bet going on it, but meh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

I would love for us to go for the win, but am happy watching us 'block' this one out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Btw pjburrage - my mouse is crap and it just clicked on 'Report post' by accident.. sorry pj and mods icon_redface.gif

I'm with you pj, it's nice to win tests but in this instance we just need to avoid the defeat at all costs. Too much at stake to be giving them a chance of winning tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

At what point would Ponting give the game up?

When they need 15+/over? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we're already a beaten side. another dozen or so overs at the most i reckon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kapper:

Btw pjburrage - my mouse is crap and it just clicked on 'Report post' by accident.. sorry pj and mods icon_redface.gif

I'm with you pj, it's nice to win tests but in this instance we just need to avoid the defeat at all costs. Too much at stake to be giving them a chance of winning tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well thanks for the apology.

Well done England, thoroughly deserved it for the planning and professionalism and lion-hearted effort, especially from Flintoff. It's going to be fascinating to see how much further Flintoff can go from here.

Well done Shane Warne, gave it everything he had to try and retain the Ashes and fell just short. One day I'll have the pleasure of being able to say that I watched Shane Warne play and be dominant in a class of his own.

A fantastic series overall, the best that I've had the pleasure of following. I'll probably have to spend my nights sleeping from now on...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

we're already a beaten side. another dozen or so overs at the most i reckon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But even then you'd only need something like 8/9 an over - surely Ponting would go for that? Even if it's highly unlikely.

That's the Aussie spirit i'm more familiar with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

we're already a beaten side. another dozen or so overs at the most i reckon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But even then you'd only need something like 8/9 an over - surely Ponting would go for that? Even if it's highly unlikely.

That's the Aussie spirit i'm more familiar with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a dozen overs more, and we'd need ten an over just to get what you have now, never mind whatever else you add in those overs.

if you're still only seven wickets down, with 25 overs to go, he'll call it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

Another 41 runs and KP will become the most successful England test series debutant in history icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, david steele scored 367 runs off 3 tests, so if we average things pietersen still needs about 120 runs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Time to get a video in to record the closing stages methinks. Sure the DVD will be ace, but still...

Great running there, putting this match completely to bed at the minute </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've just turned my Sky+ to record the rest of the days play.

as i said on the last page, you get batsman who will try and pull from outside off. the square leg is there for when that shot goes wrong, and gets skied. his secondary role, is to save the single, again, when the batsman plays across the line.

you are wrong, have been proven wrong, and all we are waiting for, is for you to admit it.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're trying to make out that a square-leg is PRIMARILY a wicket-taking position?? icon_biggrin.gif

Nah, you're not having that.

Great innings from Pietersen - I felt before this test that he was due his maiden century.

He had a dip in form, but he's a quality player with the temperament to pull out big innings when needed most, or when there's a lot of pressure on him - his hundreds in South Africa in the face of a hostile crowd, almost single handedly winning the first ODI against Australia, 50 on debut at Lord's when all others were floundering. The dip in form was inevitable - but 450 runs in his first ever test series, and against this Australian side is very impressive.

Full marks to Giles for sticking there, and Collingwood - he may have only scored 10, but he held up an end while Pietersen scored freely at the other, when we needed a couple of partnerships to steady the tide.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SBA:

as i said on the last page, you get batsman who will try and pull from outside off. the square leg is there for when that shot goes wrong, and gets skied. his secondary role, is to save the single, again, when the batsman plays across the line.

you are wrong, have been proven wrong, and all we are waiting for, is for you to admit it.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're trying to make out that a square-leg is PRIMARILY a wicket-taking position?? icon_biggrin.gif

Nah, you're not having that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

where in that post did i say that?

now, would you just frack off? you've already been proven wrong umpteen times ffs...

Archived