Why is the game so easy?

Please win Prem with Portsmouth or Wolves within 5 years ;)

I actually did that with Pompey, if you survive the first three seasons it gets considerably easier, because all the loans are then paid off and you can actually spend a fair bit of money. And that's without using the 48 month thing to spend millions from the start.

The game is as easy or as hard as you make it.

These are some of the things I do as standard that haven't been mentioned so far (Some of which you may or may not already do):

A) Always use "Fog of War"

B) Don't use the staff search, sign staff by using the job centre.

C) Don't use the player search, use your scouts.

D) Don't use third party applications.

E) Don't use outside knowledge either from RL or from a previous save - Use your scouts.

F) Try a different country.

These are some of the things I do as standard that haven't been mentioned so far (Some of which you may or may not already do):

E) Don't use outside knowledge either from RL or from a previous save - Use your scouts.

This makes it slightly tougher put the point is you don't have to create a team that is far better than the rest to do well. It doesn't even have to be on par. My assman says I need to strengthen to finish in a European place yet I'm a couple of points off the top.

Hull has a higher rep than wolves so why is it more difficult... smaller stadium?

I was SOOO sure that what you said was wrong that i had to check it out!

Hull's reputation = 5500

Wolves' reputation = 5700

;)

Apart from that, Hull starts with terrible squad and terrible injuries! No money at all and no back up players in order to sell some. No one decent agrees to come at first year.

You need more proof? :)

First, sorry for not reading all posts. Am in a bit of hurry and feel the need to post! :)

I am having a completely other experience. Going incredibly bad for me. Started with Sirius in Swedish Superettan and lost all the games I played. Restarted and "cheated" with reloading just to check. Loosing and loosing despite testing almost all tacticts and lettint the coaches pick the team.

Somehow managed to get the managmentpost at Millwall and the same thing. Loosing about 93% of the games I play despite trying everything.

Yes, I suck I know! Can´t figure out what to do to enjoy the game more than just cursing all the losses I am experiencing. :(

You complain its too easy and your managing AC Milan, Man Utd and Italy. You want to try managing in a lower league or with a team you know absolutely nothing about.

Also if you want people to read your 'rant', try using paragraphs. It makes it a lot easier to read.

The OP has a very valid point. The game is to easy and the AI is basically crap. Let's hope for a big improvement in the next FM version.

I have gone lower league teams which I know nothing about and it's still to easy. I've been promoted at my first attempts and gone on to win the top flights straight away. The game BADLY deteriorates because of the AI, and playing a game for more than four or five seasons, realistically and challengingly, is next to impossible, unless of course you just keep joining crap clubs with no chance and as I said before, it still isn't hard enough. I suppose this sounds like bragging but it is just my honest opinion and experience of the game.

I'm hearing palace are tough to manage? may give it a shot.

Well said sir.

It is also down to how you go about shopping for players. I'm playing as SWFC and rather than do what I would typically do and go out for the games "world beaters" (be it at whatever level) and instead I shopped for a side that would be a "strong" championship side. Not optimistic enough? Maybe not but as an owls fan that is what I would want for the club IRL right now so that is the route I went - signing all players that I had heard of IRL as well, and either english/irish.

If you are coming in buying big players who we all know are stunning players and whos stats turn into world beaters - christ I remember a few years back in a network game buying players who we'd never heard of just because their stats were world beaters. Even now I haven't managed a top side for an age and looking at the stats of gerrard for example is unbelievable after all the 10s and 12s I sit staring at normally.

But with regards to the AI shopping, yes it is bizarre. Ebanks-blake was an £8m signing for AC Milan on my SWFC save. He never played a game and spent 2 years sat in the reserve squad.

Good on you for your run though. It is has been far too long since I have tasted any glory :(

Well said sir.

It is also down to how you go about shopping for players. I'm playing as SWFC and rather than do what I would typically do and go out for the games "world beaters" (be it at whatever level) and instead I shopped for a side that would be a "strong" championship side. Not optimistic enough? Maybe not but as an owls fan that is what I would want for the club IRL right now so that is the route I went - signing all players that I had heard of IRL as well, and either english/irish.

If you are coming in buying big players who we all know are stunning players and whos stats turn into world beaters - christ I remember a few years back in a network game buying players who we'd never heard of just because their stats were world beaters. Even now I haven't managed a top side for an age and looking at the stats of gerrard for example is unbelievable after all the 10s and 12s I sit staring at normally.

But with regards to the AI shopping, yes it is bizarre. Ebanks-blake was an £8m signing for AC Milan on my SWFC save. He never played a game and spent 2 years sat in the reserve squad.

Good on you for your run though. It is has been far too long since I have tasted any glory :(

erm..so when your scouts tell you about a really good player you don't buy him?

I guess sticking to English players may be tough as english players seem overvalued and there's possibly more competition for the signature. There loads of bargains in scotland though...not sure about wales and ireland.

I myself can't really comment on how easy it is to manage a big team, as it's been a long time since I've done so. Also, I never manage in the EPL (or any leagues in England for that matter) because it doesn't really interest me - I watch it week-in week-out and want something different rather than managing/buying the same players all the time. Plus, the money EPL teams get would, I'm sure, make it difficult not to succeed in one way or another. I find it much more enjoyable to start a game in a new country/continent.

I do, also, impose some limits on myself, as other posters have mentioned previously. For example, I don't sign Re-gens. This is just a personal preference of mine. I believe that they are incredibly over-rated, and it is far too easy to sign a world-class 17 year old who can slot straight into your first 11. This doesn't happen in real life. Plus, I gain much more satisfaction from finding a real unknown gem - even if they'll take longer to mature and improve (and may never reach the same stats as the re-gen).

Secondly, another personal preference, I don't like to spend big money. Don't get me wrong, I buy a lot of players - that's my favourite part of FM - but I only really spend money that I receive from selling players. I hesitate at paying millions for any single player. I'm of the belief that you can always find somebody of an equal ability for less money somewhere. For example, in my longest FM10 save, the most I've spent on one player is £3m.

Thirdly, I sometimes impose limits on who I can buy etc. Again, in my longest save, as Le Havre, I decided to only buy French and African players and so far it's been really enjoyable. Of course, you are always free to break these limits - I've signed 2 Americans and a Brazilian - but it's a lot more rewarding when you succeed with these limits in place.

I doubt I'd be so pleased with my record against champions Lyon (played 3-won 2-drawn 1) -taking into account that I'm a promoted team - if I had signed lots of well-known players.

Maybe try managing more than one team at once? It can be difficult trying to juggle both, whilst it means you will also have to widen your transfer interests considerably. I'm currently managing 4 teams in one save - each with different goals and abilities.

And, just before I finish, if you do want a good challenge try managing in Africa using created leagues and FuryG's African Mega database. With very little money, and only players from Africa to choose from (as those already in Europe will have absolutely no interest in returning to the continent), it'll be a new experience.

Manage a very low league team, dont use any outside programs and use your own tactics. I have been managing same team for 20 years and the only thing I have won is the carling cup, I reckon world domination awaits in 10 years and by that time i will have deserved it.!

Archived