JoseRR's FM08 Small Club to Big Club From a Big European Nation Challenge

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm i'm tempted by this challenge, looks interesting!

I've also noticed a few names i recognise (rlipscombe and iacavone) who i've participated in challenges with.

I'm currently doing Gundo's challenge in Bulgaria of all places, but might give this a crack to.

I'm wondering if there is a list of the clubs that people are managing. If not no worries!

icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

tbh there's only myself (Como) and Des Tiny (Domegliara) who are playing the challenge at the moment. both of us are playing in Italy.

more the merrier playing the challenge.....

Yes only the two of us but I am enjoying this profusely, signed a bunch of young guns and looking at a midtable in my second season in Serie C1 following promotion in season 1, very enjoyable game even if the leagues are so close you can be midtable and three points from relelgation and three points from promotion at the same time, it is way too tight.

Also celebrating that we have finally made page 2, it took us a while, I am planning on going back to this game tonight after a brief flirt in Nirtania (Created country) of Wegascon fame. And heading back into Italy will be a lot of fun, Lets go DOMEGLIARA!!!!

Ok triple post but oh well, just wanted to point out the difference between the choice of clubs in Italy too, from Como 15000 seat stadium to my 1200 seater, then there is the finances, I have lots of money losing it all the time with top ups from my chairman regularly, and Como has a bit of money but gains good profits. I have a huge Wage Budget 17k and Rlipscombe has not much. But we both still gained first season promotion through playing our cards right. My Under20s and Reserves are unbeatable, but most of them are only back-up to my Senior squad, I have 58 players now on the books, and still under budget.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Keegan has the ambition of scoring more than he concedes though. icon_wink.gif

very good!! icon_biggrin.gif

Des, not to make you too despondant, but the attandance for my first home game v Cittadella was.... 5725. icon_eek.gif think you need a new ground.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Keegan has the ambition of scoring more than he concedes though. icon_wink.gif

very good!! icon_biggrin.gif

Des, not to make you too despondant, but the attandance for my first home game v Cittadella was.... 5725. icon_eek.gif think you need a new ground..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I sold out of Season tickets all 919 of them and every game has been well over 1100 sold, yet to get a sellout of 1217. But seriously my bank balance has plummetted again, although I just sold Cammilluzzi for $140k...Umm and his goalscoring records in lik 40 matchea both beaten by Pinedo in under 20.

But yes a new ground would be excellent, but with no income the board won't even listen. I am just hoping that my lack of financial control is ignored as I move on up the ranks with better performances each year, also now my team is getting a more international feel to it with the top team finally featuring non-italians.

21 games gone sitting in 12th, scored 43 goals conceded 35. Highest scoring team, 5th worst defense...Going to actually start watching games on full detail and find the problem.

Can I claim to be Kevin Keegan?

Actually I know the problem, my keeper is no good between the sticks haha, but no one better will sign for me.

My cup run came to an end in a gutting 3-2 aggregate loss to Juve Stabia, but means I can concentrate on avoiding the relegation playoffs, now 10points clear.

your form seems to be pretty similar to mine... scoring loads but shipping them too. how come you sold cammilluzzi? was it your choice or the chairmans?? take it it was because of money situation....

i'm currently 5th after 10 games - the league is really tight mind.

crowds are on the up - approx 6,500 for home games. i even made a profit of £100k last month alone, without any transfer activity. hopefully i can keep that up.....

Well I had replaced him in the starting team with Pinedo 25 League Goals in 24 League Appearances and then I got an offer of $100k for Cammilluzzi, very excellent offer, I pushed it and asked for $140k and they obliged so he left, I then used that money to sign Cavalli my loanee from Bavi into the sqaud as my back up and now looking for a third striker who is about 17 or so to replace these two. Pinedo at 22 is looking excellent.

I am losing 50-70k a month and going to go under 0 for the first time at the end of this season. I was 3rd after 10 games, now in 13th 7 points clear of the relegation playoffs and 10 points off the promotion ones with 6 games left.

Well avoided relegation with one game to go, guaranteed midtable finish now which delights my board. No sellouts all season highest crowd was 1211, yes 6 spare seats, probably gave the tickets away. Well happy to avoid relegation and I have made some great acquisitions in January, Morete (AMC), Burgos (AMLC), Kyluyskens (AMRC), Halai (AMC) these four have combined to provide much better ball to Pinedo my striker I signed in July. Has resulted in my team scoring more goals, but I have been letting them in at the other end so trying to build a new defense in July window.

Several stars have left or will be leaving in July.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Player Transferred Games Goals Assists MoM

Cammilluzzi Jan 40(10) 23 6 7

Innocenti Jan 1 (1) - - -

Niccolini Jan 7 (6) - - -

Tedesco Jul 1 (3) - - -

Pirrone Jul 1 (3) - - -

Torzoni Jul 52 (7) 5 8 1

Scapini Jul 6 (9) 6 1 1

Renna Jul 2 - - -

Carboni Jul 4(10) - - -

</pre>

And in July we have 9 more players joining the squad, should bolster the defence and provide some new options, I currently have 5 players coming off contract, but may re-sign those ones.

Signings

Turkoz (NED) (AM/FC)

Vallati (ITA) (DC)

Baherle (FRA) (DM)

Malacarne (SWI) (MC)

Volpara (ITA) (AM/FC)

Nieto (ITA) (AML/ST)

Camillini (ITA) (DRC)

Cavalli (ITA) (ST) current loan signing

Tall (SEN) (DC)

</pre>

So strengthening and letting players leave at the same time, hoping to renew my youth squad as well. Though they have wrapped up the Under20s title with ease one loss all season, most goals and least conceded.

So I will give a full update come Start of the new season when I have a full list of my new players and I will have screenshots then, if you have any requests just ask.

Finally a decent expansion. This will take me over 2k seats and mean I can actually hopefully start making money instead of losing it. Also may be in trouble Pinedo had a non-promotion clause, so if someone offers $275k he will just leave...whoops need to check whats in these contracts. And once I have accepted a contract there is no way to cancel it so my star keeper suggested by Pinedo is not going to be able to join me cause I already have one non-EU signing dammit. :p

congrats on staying up. it looks like it went down to the wire though! must have had worrying times.

have you tried offering Pinedo a new contract? that might sort that out. good to see you getting an expansion too.

i've reached half way in the league, and am currently in.... 1st place! icon_eek.gif it's really close up at the top mind, so not counting my chickens yet. a long way to go and some injuries to key players could see the wheels come off. making a £100k+ profit every month at the moment, thanks to crowds of around 7,000.

really have my fingers crossed for the second half of the season - just hope i don't crash and burn!!

Good luck rlipscombe and I hope you make it up, excellent work being able to get up there. And yeah I was so stressed, ended up just having to finish the league because if I didn't my mind would explode as to whether I was going down or not.

I tried to offer him a contract he currently wants nothing to do with it, but no one is willing to pay $275k for him either so thats a bonus. I am hoping to get my newish team working as a unit through 8 friendlies which I have jammed in.

And then its back into the league, may throw the dice in the cupo again, not sure right now.

beginning to wobble a little in the league. down to 11 left now, and fallen to 2nd, 4 points off the top. need to find my goalscoring boots again soon!!

fingers crossed i turn it around again......

beginning to wobble a little in the league. down to 11 left now, and fallen to 2nd, 4 points off the top. need to find my goalscoring boots again soon!!

fingers crossed i turn it around again......

unfortunately the wobble has continued a little too long... icon_frown.gif with 4 games to go, i have slipped into 3rd, 6 points off Cremonese who are top. to make matters worse, my remaining 4 games are all against top-10 teams, including Cremonese icon_rolleyes.gif

on a positive note, we are 11 points clear of 6th, so a place in the promotion play-offs is all but secure. looks like if i want to gain promotion, i'll have to do it the hard way again.... icon_wink.gif

That makes matters better not worse, if you beat the top 10 then it means a loss for them rather than hoping they slip up. Much better chance of skipping over them, if you can't get results against them then perhaps you don't really deserve to finish higher.

Originally posted by Quacky:

That makes matters better not worse, if you beat the top 10 then it means a loss for them rather than hoping they slip up. Much better chance of skipping over them, if you can't get results against them then perhaps you don't really deserve to finish higher.

yeah, i realise that, and it is possible i can make it, but it's a big ask as struggled against them in other games. Cremonese is the preverbial 'six-pointer' - win that and i have a chance. considering i was happy to survive this season, i can't be too disappointed i guess...

Great to see some interest finally, great work so far guys, I have been following your progress with interest!

Congrats on your promotion and staying up again Des Tiny icon14.gif Also, the bigger stadium should help you at this higher level, good luck mate as you try to build.

Originally posted by JoseRR:

Great to see some interest finally, great work so far guys, I have been following your progress with interest!

Congrats on your promotion and staying up again Des Tiny icon14.gif Also, the bigger stadium should help you at this higher level, good luck mate as you try to build.

Thanks JoseRR, I am working hard on the early season in my second year in Serie C1, finally got my striker to sign a contract extension so that should help icon_smile.gif

Will post a End of Season 2 update soon, just been hugely busy

Domegliara 2009/10 End of Season Update

Well following a great early season, my team was in third after 5 games, the plummet was just around the corner, my team was not up to this standard of play and it was going to be a fight to stay here. I dropped throughout the next 5 games tobe thirteenth with it all to play for as I flirted with the relegation playoffs. Safe from direct relegation as two teams had extremely poor seasons. In January I decided to strengthen the team even more and got in some good players. With seven games remaining we were three points clear of the playoffs for relegation, but a hard set of games coming up.

Playing 4 of the top 6 teams and the three bottom teams it was all on the line.

at Benevento (2nd) 1-2 HT: 1-2

Burgos (34)

vs Torres (18th) 2-3 HT: 1-1 Att: 1196 MoM: Labriola

Labriola (16,70)

at Gallipoli (16th) 2-0 HT: 2-0 MoM: Pinedo

Pinedo (32,43)

vs Pisa (4th) 3-4 HT: 2-3 Att: 1189 MoM: Morete

Morete (41,56) Pinedo (45)

at Grosseto (6th) 2-3 HT: 1-2

Miggliaccio (pen17) Pinedo (89)

</pre>

With two games left I was still only 3 points clear and having to take a win to guarantee my own place, I was now facing Martina who had fallen to the bottom and Pescara who were in 3rd.

at Martina 2-1 HT: 0-1 MoM: Migliaccio

OG (84) Diagne (90)

</pre>

A real nail biter and only a last minute goal from my DM sealed my place in Serie C1 for another season. a final game 2-2 draw with Pescara made it look good as I moved the team into 12th and I had a very happy board celebrating my accomplishments.

Pinedo had a great season and worked himself into the Serie C1 Golden boot as my team scored the 2nd most goals of all clubs in the competition, but let too many in to finish 12th.

Severl new players joined in both January and in July leading to a muc stronger squad in the Pre-Season and this Squad at the start of the regular season, with several key players from former seasons leaving the team.

At the end of the 2nd Season in charge the team had shown some stars.

All Time Club Leaders

Goals - Overall (League)

Pinedo 31 (29)

Cammilluzzi 23 (19)

Labriola 16 (15)

Diagne 16 (13)

Migliaccio 15 (12)

Del Sole 10 ( 9)

</pre>

MoM Overall (League)

Migliaccio 10 (8)

Pinedo 9 (8)

Cammiluzzi 7 (6)

Del Sole 5 (5)

Labriola 4 (4)

Merito 3 (2)

</pre>

Games Overall (League)

Migliaccio 83 (72)

Diagne 80 (68)

Aquino 77 (65)

Labriola 76 (65)

Del Sole 75 (64)

Pinali 69 (60)

Marfia 64 (52)

</pre>

So all around a good season, and now aiming to build to a better League position in 2010/11, slow and steady I think is what I am calling for now that I have a squad capable of anything, defense may still need strengthening, but the club is looking much better.

Participants

Player Team Season League Achievements

Rlipscombe Como 09/10 Serie C1 08/09 Promoted Via Playoffs

Des Tiny Domegliara 10/11 Serie C1 08/09 Promoted Via Playoffs

</pre>

If anyone else wants to join come on in. The water in Italy is brilliant, and any of the other big leagues could be just as much fun. See you all soon.

League Reset Dates

Portugal 27th June

Germany 19th June

Italy 30th June

</pre>

These seem to be the only three we have so far, if anyone can find us the reset dates for the other nations it would be great, just quote this and add them to the thread.

Domegliara Serie C Cup Group V Update

Well I started into the season with hopes of improving on 12th from last year. First up were some friendlies. Facing my Reserves so I could test out all my new acquisitions in a game and then a game against my feeder club Olginatese, and against Celano, before I went on a tour of San Marino for some team bonding.

vs Reserves 4-2 HT: 3-2 Att: 62 MoM: Migliaccio

Pinedo (5) Aquino (15) Migliaccio (25) Kluyskens (60) - Kalai (3) Cavalli (39)

at Olginatesee 2-3 HT: 2-1

Del Sole (16) Vallati (22)

at Celano 1-1 HT: 0-0 MoM: Labriola

Labriola (88)

at Domagnano 4-1 HT: 2-1 MoM: Del Sole

Del Sole (4,62) Burgos (16) Nieto (74)

at Faetano 1-1 HT: 0-0

Turkoz (49)

at Folgore 3-1 HT: 1-1 MoM: Pinedo

Morelli (31) Pinedo (66,88)

at La Fiorita 3-1 HT: 1-1 MoM: Pinedo

Pinedo (8,87) OG (46)

</pre>

So reasonably happy after that, we went into the Serie C Cup Group V, with an identical draw to last year again to face Siracusa, Igea Virtus, Gela and Vibonese. Having won this group with ease last season, I was expecting the same again.

Serie C Cup Group V

vs Igea Virtus 2-1 HT: 1-0 Att: 1012 MoM: Morete

Morete (36) Pinedo (46)

at Siracusa 0-0 HT: 0-0 MoM: Morete

vs Vibonese 2-0 HT: 1-0 Att: 745 MoM: Marfia

Marfia (16) Pinedo (65)

at Gela 7-0 HT: 3-0 MoM: Morete

Migliaccio (2) Pinedo (9,49) Aquino (26) Morete (52,62,86)

</pre>

This was enough for 10 points and a comfortable victor in Group V, and direct qualification for Round 1. I celebrated in style with a huge victory setting my teams name up as a team to watch this season, already the new boys and the old boys were combining to make some great moves, stars were clear for Burgos and Morete with Labriola, Pinedo and Marfia showing their skills regularly. And Migliaccio's improvement in goal was outstanding.

While these games were going on Domegliara faced the first four games of their Serie C1 League challenge, with two away games up first followed by a home game,with all three against top half finishers from last season I was hoping for about 4 points from the three games. But anything else would be a good sign of the times to come. First up was Gubbio, followed by Grosseto and Lucchese.

Serie C1/B League

at Gubbio 3-3 HT: 2-1 MoM: Marfia

Vallati (28) Marfia (31) Pinedo (90)

at Grosseto 3-3 HT: 1-1 MoM: Burgos

Burgos (27,67) Kluyskens (86)

vs Lucchese 3-0 HT: 2-0 Att: 1151 MoM: Labriola

Labriola (10) Morete (27) Del Sole (68)

</pre>

This excellent start to the season had seen the club net 9 goals in 3 games and sitting in 4th overall with 5 points. Only 2 points off the leaders. I was very happy with the first up performances and was looking forward to the season continuing. My team was unbeaten in 7 games having scored 20 goals in the process and the last three straight without conceding. Bring on the tough battles, my team now has the depth to cover any problems.

right, i haven't had enough time to get all of the screenshots together for the end of season review, but i thought i would post this brief summary to the end of my season now.

as mentioned, i went into the final 4 games looking assured of a play-off place. i duly came in 3rd, with a record of 1-1-2 in the final 4 games, losing to the final top 2, Cremonese and Albinoleffe. This meant a play-off semi final against Novara. of the 4 in the play-offs, this was the best draw as i had beaten them twice this season, 4-3 and 3-2. icon_smile.gif The first leg was away, and i decided to do something i hadn't done at any stage this season - i changed my formation slightly. i dropped Novinic, my AMC into midfield, and reverted to a more orthodox 442. This was mainly to try and tighten at the back, something which had cost us dearly on the road the previous couple of months. it was a gamble, but something i felt i had to do.

A fantastic, virtuoso performance from Di Gennaro saw us win 4 - 1, icon_biggrin.gif with the star of the show bagging all 4 goals! i was delighted with the result, and knew i had one foot in the final.

i kept with the same formation for the second leg, and we raced into a 3-1 lead. at this stage, i withdrew Di Gennaro and Novinic to save them for the final. We conceded 2 second-half goals, to draw 3 - 3. We had made it to the play-off final. icon_cool.gif

in the other semi-final, Foggia managed to beat Albinoleffe 3-2 at home in the first leg, whjich i was pleased with, as i had a better record against them. i still fancied Albinoleffe to progress though, so was delighted when the second leg finished 0-0. Foggia it was over two legs for a place in Serie B!!

The first leg again saw us on our travels, and i stuck with the tried and "successful" 442 formation from the semis. Unfortunately i was brought down to earth with a bump as we lost 4 - 2. icon_frown.gif i have to say that the scoreline was pretty fair, and we got what we deserved.

This meant we had to overturn a 2 goal deficit back at the Stadio Giuseppe Sinigaglia. i reverted back to my attacking, 4312 formation, with Novinic behing the front two of Destro and Di Gennaro. in almost certainly the best game as manager of Como, in front of a sell-out crowd of almost 15,000, the boys demolished Foggia 6 - 0, icon_eek.gif which meant that Como had secured back-to-back promotions, and would be again starting a new season in another division! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

i am so overwhelmed with how the season went. after the well-documented financial issues i had at the start of the season, i had settled for a mid-table finish, having once more been forced to build a squad with alot of loan signings. But the boys did me proud, and i can't believe i have made it to Serie B, one stop from the holy land of Serie A... icon_cool.gif

i will do a full update in due course, but i just had to write up the story of my play-offs, as i am still in a state of shock...

Excellent work Rlipscombe, much better than my first effort at Serie C1, now you need to consolidate in Serie B, while I attempt to follow you up a season behind, squad is looking much better now, and the way I have started this season I am hopeful of something better. Can't wait to see all the other screenshots and see what you got up to. Good Luck I shall head back to my game now to face Torres the team lucky to see off relegation last season, I also have a bigger challenge with Nocerina coming up this season being another team that started in Serie D. Can't let them get ahead of me, have released some more players and am hoping to sign a Goalie in January who might be better than Migliaccio, who is finally starting to improve towards his 7 Star Potential rating.

thanks Des, i really am in a state of shock. i had given up on promotion really after the first leg, and just wanted to have a go. hopefully the season review might be up either tonight, or if not, it'll be sunday as i'm out all day tomorrow. i won't give too much away, but Di Gennaro is a legend! icon_biggrin.gif

as for Serie B, i've no idea what to expect. as most of the players are loanees, i haven't got a great squad, and it'll need a lot of work. hopefully the board will give me some cash, and i can get a decent wage budget to play with. finances are about £1.5 million now, so there is money there.

i just want to get back and play the game again!! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tables Des, they look great.

Participants

</pre><hr class="ev_code_hr" />

Rlipscombe Como 09/10 Serie C1 08/09 Promoted Via Playoffs

</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Participants

Rlipscombe Como 10/11 Serie B 08/09 Promoted Via Playoffs

</pre>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif Forgot to change the data! Fantastic season there Rlipscombe, the first to make it to Serie B and in some style icon14.gif

Feel free to update the table season on season and new participants are always welcome! Great work you two!

Domegliara's Serie C Cup Round 1 Update - November 2010

Well the draw for the Serie C Cup First Round was not the kindest, I was due to face Grosseto, who in three games against the best result we had had was a 3-3 draw earlier this season, but knowing how my team performs in cup games I thought what the heck, lets put it all on the park.

Leg 1

at Grosseto 3-2 HT: 2-0 MoM: Pinedo

Pinedo (11,84) Migliaccio (23)

Leg 2

vs Grosseto (8) 5-1 (3) HT: 5-0 Att: 748 MoM: Kluyskens

Migliaccio (15) Pinedo (24) Burgos (26) Kluyskens (39,44)

</pre>

The team were absolutely delighted to have made it to the second round for the second year in a row and my board were even more happy. Glad to be on my way through with some top teams knocked out, I had a look back at my season so far in the League, performing above all expectations, except my own I was hopeful. The board was warning me about money so I was trying to offload all the excess players and sign a few in to replace the dozen I released, I hoped in January to end up back below wage budget and with a much better squad at the same time. Under 20s dominating their league again for the third year running, though I was looking to transfer a lot of their players so I don't know how long that will last.

Serie C1/B

vs Nocerina 3-0 HT: 2-0 Att: 1146 MoM: Morete

Morete (4) Pinedo (29) Kluyskens (70)

at Torres 2-2 HT: 2-2 MoM: Kluyskens

Morete (16) Kluyskens (19)

vs Castelnuovo 2-1 HT: 0-1 Att: 1150 MoM: Migliaccio

Diagne (53) Ingrosso (70)

at Potenza 1-1 HT: 1-1

Labriola (26)

at Benevento 2-2 HT: 1-1 MoM: Turkoz

Turkoz (1,77)

vs Avellino 1-1 HT: 1-0 Att: 1131 MoM: Diagne

Diagne (45)

vs Teramo 0-1 HT: 0-0 Att: 1135

vs Crotone 4-2 HT: 1-1 Att: 1145 MoM: Pinedo

Pinedo (3,86) Morete (67) Vallati (90) - Des Tiny's 100th Game in Charge

</pre>

The team stepped up to celebrate my 100th game with a victory to lift us to 4th place in the league and a real shot at the playoffs, with only one loss so far on the season it was looking pretty good, again the defense appeared to be letting us down, though the squad was constantly improving and with several players now able to run in most positions it looked like there might be a chance for a rotation policy. Bring on the half way point of the season and a chance to sign some new players in defense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoseRR:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Participants

09/10 Promoted Via Playoffs

</pre>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif Forgot to change the data! Fantastic season there Rlipscombe, the first to make it to Serie B and in some style icon14.gif

Feel free to update the table season on season and new participants are always welcome! Great work you two! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the congrats Jose, I am glad to be playing this challenge. I am really connected to these players and delighted with my game, it is the first game I have really got stuck into on FM 08 that I have taken and want to continue, my team is doing well, slowly signing a few more players now, but I believe my squad is good enough for Serie B when I get there. Thanks for working on setting up this challenge and I hope some more join in the fun soon.

looking good Des - keep up the good work icon14.gif good to see you doing well in the cup too. i always bombed in the group stages, due to a mixture of having a tough group / resting players / low cup bonus for the players. may take the Coppa Italia a bit more seriously though!!

Man the international season hurts me, with losing up to 5 players at a time for games, and having a couple of injuries and then my team needs to gel again, but hoping to get through to the middle of the season fighting for the playoffs and make a big push once I have shored up my defence slightly. I love the cup and I would love to win it before I make the step up, so I have all fingers crossed on my team doing well in it this season. I have to perform well in the League and Cup as otherwise I will get fired because of the finances situation, losing now 100k per month and have no way to regain it pretty much selling out every single home game but this is not helping. I must say the players being spread in nationalities though has meant a longer period to gel, though they are starting to work great as a unit. In particular loving the work of Pinedo (Bolivia), Kluyskens (Netherlands), Burgos (Spain?), Morete (Argentina), Del Sole (Italy) and Diagne (Italy). These 6 are just able to keep the team working at a top rate. Then the backups are not a disappointment either, and my defense is a huge step up this season, with all my players still mid twenties and most of them on longer term contracts so long as I can keep working them I have a great chance at future success.

sounds like the small ground situation is really starting to hamper you a bit now... that must be a major problem for you. i'm fortunate in that i'm making about £100k per season, due to us having approx. 7000 for home games. the play-off home games saw sell out crowds of 15,000....

i expect crowds might go up again next season, so again that will help.

fingers crossed you win the cup and promotion. you might need it. good luck

Como - Serie C1/A - Season 2009-10

As you will be aware, i achieved my second successive promotion via the play-offs, to make it into Serie B. i have to say first of all that this was probably my best season on FM for a long time. At the start of the season, i'd have been happy simply to survive. especially after the finance bug struck and i was robbed of my transfer budget and a hefty slice of my wage budgt. this meant that once more, i would have to rely on loan signings to see me through the season.

First things first, the final league table. the table doesn't actually do me justice, as for a long part of the season i was battling for 1st place, before the wheels came off in the final straight. that meant the play-offs, and that has been documented already up the page.

Next up, the squad that made it all happen.

GK's and defenders

midfield and attack

Transfers 1

transfers 2

and the key players that made it happen:

Davide Di Gennaro. - what more can you say? an absolute legend, averaging just over a goal a game in the league. Returning to the club for a second season, Di Gennaro was moved up front from the wing, and never looked back. True star. Unfortunately he has decided to go on loan elsewhere this season icon_frown.gif a tough act to replace.

Davide Astori - the rock at the back of our creaking defence. Without him, promotion probably wouldn't have been possible.

Rincon - another season, another brazilian full-back. i thought it would be hard to replace Leandro Grimi as far as quality full-backs go, but this boy did it. great going forward, and weighed in with anumber of assists.

Roberto Massaro - following his loan deal from the previous season, and his subsequent release by Milan, Roberto was snapped up on a free transfer. made the left wing role his own. Good signing.

Mitja Novinic - another back for a second season, and picked up where he left off. great season in the hole behind the front two. would like him back for another season.

Matteo Ardemagni - good season from the Milan loanee. interchanged in the team nicely with Destro.

Mattia Destro - top goalscorer for me in Serie C2, Mattia came back for a second season, and took the step up a division well. A potential star in the making.

On the finances front, a great season, with a profit of nearly £1.3 million made. the was thanks mainly to bumper crowds of nearly 7,000 at home. We received great support, and hopefully that will grow further in Serie B.

>>> Aims for next season <<<

- SURVIVE! i said it last time, and i'll say it again. survival is the only option.

- build up my 'permanent squad' and be less reliant on loan signings.

- keep finances looking ok.

- replace Di Gennaro. he'll be badly missed.

*** update to live in Serie B ***

following promotion, and due in part to over £1million made from TV rights, i have £1.3 million to spend in the transfer market, and a wage budget of £24k p/w, which dwarfs my previous £6k p/w. This was provided for me guaranteeing survival. i could have pushed the board for more, but chose not to. it'll be interesting to see how i handle having money to spend, and hopefully it is wisely spent. A number of players have already been signed, and i'll post more on this later.

that's it for now. all that is left to say is FORZA COMO!!

Well guys after my San Marino file failed to ignite any sort of passion inside (sorry aaberdeenn!) I decided to give this a try. I chose Germany and holidayed through a season. My side?

SpVgg Bayreuth! Rolls off the tongue doesn't it? The only reason I chose them was because their name vaguely sounds like Babe Ruth. Although I have absolutely no interest in baseball icon_biggrin.gif.

Anyway here's my profile - introducing Karlheinz Baden icon_cool.gif and proof of the job beinning in the appropriate manner - click!

If there are any extra screenshots you want to see just ask. Update coming soon just to introduce my squad and what I did in my first few months.

Originally posted by iacovone:

Well guys after my San Marino file failed to ignite any sort of passion inside (sorry aaberdeenn!) I decided to give this a try. I chose Germany and holidayed through a season. My side?

SpVgg Bayreuth! Rolls off the tongue doesn't it? The only reason I chose them was because their name vaguely sounds like Babe Ruth. Although I have absolutely no interest in baseball icon_biggrin.gif.

Anyway here's my profile - introducing Karlheinz Baden icon_cool.gif and proof of the job beinning in the appropriate manner - click!

If there are any extra screenshots you want to see just ask. Update coming soon just to introduce my squad and what I did in my first few months.

welcome iacovone.... good to see you here!! good to see aaberdeenn couldn't stir your passions icon_wink.gif hopefully Germany will.

good luck - look forward to seeing how you do. icon14.gif

Thanks! Just read up on this thread and it seems you and Des have set the benchmark with promotion in your first season! Judging by my start its looking very unlikely I'll be able to follow you! That di Gennaro looked class - very good for the league you were in icon14.gif

So what's happended at Bayreuth so far?

I have to admit I spent more time in the pre-season than I ever have on FM. When I joined, I had about 12 players, no staff and strangely the expectation to finish 7th(!) out of 18. So the pressure was on to bring in some half decent players. My first move was to turn all the amateurs into part-time footballers (something I don't think you have to worry about in Italy iirc?). I then acquired some coaches, a physio and a couple of scouts. It was a real struggle competing for players - I have a small rep and had zero funds to splash around Germany. So I relied mainly on my own eyes for the out of contract players. To make matters worse, I lost 3 of my current squad to league rivals - particularly Plauen, a team I can tell I'm going to hate!

I ended up signing 17 players (3 on loan) and sold or released 13. The squad was taking shape as I planned to impose a 4-1-3-2 formation on them. Unfortunately this required some form of creative influence - something completely lost on Germans by the looks of things so I may have to readdress that at some point. However given the positional nature of my signings, the formation is kind of dictated by them at this stage of Bayreuth's growth icon_biggrin.gif.

I didn't win any of my 4 friendlies (1 draw, 3 losses) and experienced a tough opening to the season (3 losses out of 3). However as I type now, we have gone 5 games unbeaten! Shame they've all been draws!! icon_frown.gif

But so far so good for Karlheinz Baden. His managerial life at Bayreuth is underway and here's hoping for a bright future!

Di Gennaro was quality - too good for the leagues i had him in. he helped get us where we are today though. although i may have shot up the leagues, i'm slightly concerned we may have got a bit above our stations! we shall see.

looks like you've had a tough start. still, at least you seemed to have slightly turned the corner. hopefully a few of those draws will be wins soon.

Welcome to the challenge iacovone, as rlipscombe has already said, I hope you enjoy the challenge as much as the others have thus far! The first challenger outside Italy as well, I will be interested to see how you get on.

Participants

iacovone SpVgg Bayreuth 08/09

</pre>

I don't know which division you are in so feel free to add it to the table.

Participants

iacovone Bayreuth 08/09 Regional Div North

</pre>

There we go icon14.gif

Archived