Director of football?

I had a game called 'Ally McCoist Director of Football on the PC. It was shockingly bad. You could do everything from manage the team to getting new advertising on the pitch side boards, to extending the stadium and booking the squad into a training camp. It was horrendous and so boring. I ended up getting a team in the premiership going bust because all I wanted to do was extend all the stands at the same time. It won't work!! Whether SI do it or not I think it's too complicated to add into an already highly in depth game.

Also though, why fix something that isn't broke?

I had a game called 'Ally McCoist Director of Football on the PC. It was shockingly bad. You could do everything from manage the team to getting new advertising on the pitch side boards, to extending the stadium and booking the squad into a training camp. It was horrendous and so boring. I ended up getting a team in the premiership going bust because all I wanted to do was extend all the stands at the same time. It won't work!! Whether SI do it or not I think it's too complicated to add into an already highly in depth game.

the old adage of fix something that isnt broken equates to dont bother and that is not what SI are about. Look at one of the first CMs and compare it to FM10, you'll cry out of how different they are. I am not asking for a DoF role for myself but I want to see it ingame. I dont want to have to do things and imagine its because of something I did that the game doesnt show me. I do like to use my imagination but not in a way that should be covered. If anything having a DoF at clubs that would in their nature have one allows me as Manager to know what the club are thinking and what I should be doing to succeed. Think about Mourinho and as much success as he had the board didnt like him. Why was this? Maybe the media knew and maybe not but im sure Mourinho and the board did know and that is something Id like to see, more interaction at a club between the Manager and the board. A DoF allows for this but only at clubs that demand it. Clubs that wouldnt have a DoF shouldnt have a DoF but the feature would allow for a greater sense of scope within the game and allow you to choose more where to manage as some clubs would have a DoF and some wouldn't, while where they are, some would be more annoying and others less so. Also the level of interference of a DoF should be based on your achievements within the game. Example - I am at Arsenal and win a few trophies, then I move to Barcelona who have a DoF and that DoF would give me less flack because of my success at Arsenal however should I fail to achieve then his interference would enhance.

I'll see your bump and raise you a point of view:

DoF's are necessary in the game. Running away from the fun/realism debate - wich can be eternal -, they are necessary because if they exist ingame, we can have a clear view to what the clubs/players/fans want.

Let's take a look at Wenger. We know that, no matter what, Arsene wants to buy young players and form them. If he leaves Arsenal (ingame), he'll continue to do so in another club. But what happens to the club? Who will they need/want/get?

I have to say that I'm a lot like Wenger - I like to have young players around and make them who they are. It would be very helpfull to know that, if I were to be invited by a club, they could come and say "we know that you prefer a young squad, we have it here, do you want to join us?". Same goes for other clubs and managers! A friend of mine likes to buy well known players who are getting old. A club (Pompey comes to mind) that wanted immediate attention in buying old but known players to profit - in and out of the field - with their experience would want to have a word with him. Or Chelsea, for that matter: they wanted Ancellotti, not only because he's good, but because he has the experience of working with overaged stars - wich Chelsea is starting to become.

But not only that: if you get a new feature in, more things have to appear.

One thing that I used to love im the old CM was choosing the type of manager I was - I would always go with rash (I was young and stupid...). Implementing DoF and giving them attributes could prompt SI to give us one thing that I've been longing for in ages: personal caracter. And not in a sims way, no; I mean like a small resume. The questions that the jornalists make at the first presentation when you join a club are something like that, but we don't know if it's usable. If, at the beggining of the game you could choose 4 or 5 topics (prefered type of play; player buying age preference; etc.) and a few options for each question (passing, direct, mixed; 16-21, 20-25, 23-28, etc.), the game could prompt a variety of things happening that wouldn't happen with a different type of profile. Players choosing club A instead of B, clubs choosing manager A instead of B, etc..

I like this but if anything what you ask for may be too far into the future. You are looking at a total overhaul of the AI since it would have to have the intelligence to not get confused and act unreasonably. However as I said before, the level of inteference should be related to your success ingame. Far too many gamers do well in first season with top club even though they may be low level experience (in game) and if you join a club like Real Madrid, Milan or Barcelona you should have a DoF breathing down your neck in the first few seasons.

Exactly as you said jsolloso - the bigger the club, the bigger the pressure.

End of year 4, the contract is ending and I have 4 options: staying in my Notts County championship club, were I rule and do whatever I want - although I'm fighting not to get relegated; going to Zaragoza who just got back to la Liga and getting in a relegation fight, with a board/DoF who gives me some money to spend and want's to renew their ageing squad; Werder, who wants to fight for the bundesliga but doesn't give me that much choice (just enough to buy 3 ou 4 guys and don't want to sell the big stars); or a very old Milan, who wants to win the league with the oldest squad in the world, but where basically all that I do is to train them, since I cannot sell anybody and there isn't any money to spend?

And it would be hard for SI to implement the managers profile idea, but not that hard to make the correlation with the board; after all, there are already hidden attributes in the board/DoF and if one of them has 18 (out of 20) for young players, dinamic, pressure, passing and it correlates with my attributes, i'm sure they would come talking to me at some point.

Exactly as you said jsolloso - the bigger the club, the bigger the pressure.

End of year 4, the contract is ending and I have 4 options: staying in my Notts County championship club, were I rule and do whatever I want - although I'm fighting not to get relegated; going to Zaragoza who just got back to la Liga and getting in a relegation fight, with a board/DoF who gives me some money to spend and want's to renew their ageing squad; Werder, who wants to fight for the bundesliga but doesn't give me that much choice (just enough to buy 3 ou 4 guys and don't want to sell the big stars); or a very old Milan, who wants to win the league with the oldest squad in the world, but where basically all that I do is to train them, since I cannot sell anybody and there isn't any money to spend?

And it would be hard for SI to implement the managers profile idea, but not that hard to make the correlation with the board; after all, there are already hidden attributes in the board/DoF and if one of them has 18 (out of 20) for young players, dinamic, pressure, passing and it correlates with my attributes, i'm sure they would come talking to me at some point.

Basically this is how it should be although I would question option 4 as I dont like the sound of not being able to sign anyone. Since the game in its current format is not that ideal in training, signings are the main feature ppl enjoy so if anything I would say allow to sign but have to fit into the current squad criteria, eg. very old and overpaid.

The opening up of attributes could help although I think they need more interaction between board and manager. I feel that the DoF could be optional to some, having the on/off option at start of game for those who dont want it even though then they cant brag about doing so well :)

Not only optional, but, as someone already said here (too lazy to look into, yes :p) it should be like in the ass man options - the DoF should do the job of renewing contracts, arranging friendlies, etc. - and the scouting as well. Then, if you (as a coach) wanted a certain player, you could say "i want a left back, aged so-and-so, fast, tall, whatever" and he could come with 5 or 6 options.

But that's getting ahead of me...

Please dont bump threads, guys- warning this time
Not only optional, but, as someone already said here (too lazy to look into, yes :p) it should be like in the ass man options - the DoF should do the job of renewing contracts, arranging friendlies, etc. - and the scouting as well. Then, if you (as a coach) wanted a certain player, you could say "i want a left back, aged so-and-so, fast, tall, whatever" and he could come with 5 or 6 options.

But that's getting ahead of me...

The option idea is already there for the scouts so surely transferring it to be the role of the DoF cannot be that difficult, can it?

Where clubs use a DoF, one should be present and take over duties which right now are kind of useless. Also this would help sort out the problem with B teams in those countries as the DoF would be the one to advise you on who is possibly going to be transferred or moved around, playing or not. Then you would have a say in the matter.

Ok. Saw someone else doing it so thought it was the norm. btw, any comment on this issue Mod?

It is a reasonable idea that has been suggested often but on a personal basis, I feel that the game is all about the managerial aspects of the game, which I suppose I have got used to after playing the game for so long. I therefore feel that adding a DOF would either dilute or complicate the issue

It is a reasonable idea that has been suggested often but on a personal basis, I feel that the game is all about the managerial aspects of the game, which I suppose I have got used to after playing the game for so long. I therefore feel that adding a DOF would either dilute or complicate the issue

At no stage did I suggest that we become the DoF though. I am simply saying alongside the original OP that the option should be present where it would logically be present. Should you not want it then simply dont manage such a club. It would add a little more realism to the game and you could have an on/off button at the beginning of the game to disable the option should you wish to do so.

I agree with you. I think it would be a good idea. Another thing that should be added to go alongside is to have an option to change kits at the start of a new season. How many teams keep the same strips for their entire lifespan? It gets boring to watch your team when they have the same kits season after season. As a role of the DoF you should be able to decide if you change the kits of your team.

I think having a DoF as part of the game is a brilliant idea and in true to life situations you would be offered the job as well as manager if you wanted to do it

All these add on's and extra features will just turn the game into FIFA Manager and that would be horrendous

If you want to play around at designing kits, advertising boards, stadiums and have a wife and kids (wtf EA?!) then go buy that

I've been pulling for the addition of a "Director of Football" option for a while, but it 's not a popular idea around here for some reason...

I find utterly pointless having a game where YOU can basically run the whole club, from hiring staff to training the last reserve.

It becomes too easy of a task taking a random club to European and Worldwide Glory when you're in charge of 99% of the club's activities.

In real life, especially outside of the U.K., the "manager" doesn't really exist... He's more like a Head Coach, in charge of the tactical side of the game, but who's almost powerless when it comes down to transfer market, wages, staff hiring etc...

The "Manager" can ASK his board/chairman to buy X or Y, but if they want Z, they'll buy Z, whether the "Manager" likes it or not.

It'd be much more interesting playing FM without total control... It's too easy winning left and right when you can buy whoever you want... Let's try to win with a useless Striker just because the man signing your cheque wants him to play every game...

Let's try to win despite you asking for a Left Winger and getting a DM instead

All these add on's and extra features will just turn the game into FIFA Manager and that would be horrendous

If you want to play around at designing kits, advertising boards, stadiums and have a wife and kids (wtf EA?!) then go buy that

No one suggested we do that. That is the role of the board. I just feel you need more interaction with the board which atm is nonexistant except for news feeds. If anything by adding a DoF onto the game you are minimising the jobs for a manager, think how many times you ignore news items (press conferences, injury news, youth team contracts) at present because you cant be bothered. There issues fall into the job of the DoF where one is present.

As for kit change, yes there needs to be changes but that option falls to the board not the manager and in places where there was a DoF it would be his job. If you wanted to undertake the DoF job then you'd join a club that wouldnt have one. This as previously mentioned in this thread would add to the job offer choices.

No one suggested we do that. That is the role of the board. I just feel you need more interaction with the board which atm is nonexistant except for news feeds. If anything by adding a DoF onto the game you are minimising the jobs for a manager, think how many times you ignore news items (press conferences, injury news, youth team contracts) at present because you cant be bothered. There issues fall into the job of the DoF where one is present.

As for kit change, yes there needs to be changes but that option falls to the board not the manager and in places where there was a DoF it would be his job. If you wanted to undertake the DoF job then you'd join a club that wouldnt have one. This as previously mentioned in this thread would add to the job offer choices.

The vast majority of clubs don't have one, at least in England, and in England the traditional Director of Football role has been limited to youth and training set up and improving facilities as opposed to the Real Madrid 'General Manager' hands on style role.

I wouldn't introduce it to England because they have limited effect, for the chaos Dennis Wise caused he still ended up leaving. Arnesen doesn't have a great deal of impact. There's plenty of them in work, mainly at lower league level and they don't have the same impact as European neighbours

The vast majority of clubs don't have one, at least in England, and in England the traditional Director of Football role has been limited to youth and training set up and improving facilities as opposed to the Real Madrid 'General Manager' hands on style role.

I wouldn't introduce it to England because they have limited effect, for the chaos Dennis Wise caused he still ended up leaving. Arnesen doesn't have a great deal of impact. There's plenty of them in work, mainly at lower league level and they don't have the same impact as European neighbours

there's many other leagues in the agme besides England and SI pay for the license so excluding the DoF simply because he doesnt impact in England is unreasonable. At the moment on continental leagues there are massive problems with the B team, surely introducing a DoF would help find a solution to this? Also if you want to manage abroad it should come with the relevant annoyances, those are a DoF.

I can only agree with jsollo's latest reply. While this game is being developed mainly from and for Englishmen and offers the largest league system of all countries, it still is only a small part of the football world, FM includes. It has been noted earlier in this thread that outside of England, the manager position you're familiar with is traditionally a head coach which has at times very limited influence on the club beyond it's current squad, its training and control over match tactics and setup. So, why should other - quite possibly foreign - people and fans of FM forgo an added piece of realism just because it's apparently not that important, convenient or popular in England?

Personally, I've read quite a few fantastic ideas in this thread and I'd LOVE to see some of them included in future FM's. I've long since wanted to have more complicated manager contracts with clubs and adding DoF into the mix is just the thing to do it. Will the club grant me full power over the transfer budget or will I have to convince the club's DoF of my need for this or that signing? After performing well for a season or two, I may want to ask for a contract extension that allows me more control over my domain, including selling and buying players and developing my own system and expressing character. The idea to have clubs with penchants for different signing philosophies is great and doc_ summed up nicely how that will have an effect on my position as manager.

While this idea will allow for much more communication with the board or the DoF working alongside the manager, it needs to be carefully implemented. One this is for sure: for this to work, the transfer AI will need to be improved upon, because the realism of giving up some of your power over a club will quickly turn to frustration if the board and the DoF are idiots. As soon as that has been dealt with, I would love to play with DoF's - and to answer to all critics out there, making this an option to enable/disable at the start, it won't bother you guys with your English saves at all :)

In a bit of a rush so I didn't go through the entire thread - apologies if I'm repeating some of the points.

Count me in as a supporter of this idea, though I certainly do see the arguments in not having a director of football. In fact, I've always had the most fun trying to find bargains on the transfer market and build a team around a bunch of uncovered gems bought for cheap, so to have that option taken away does negatively impact the experience for me.

...However, not all teams will have a director of football and it will make it more interesting when you apply for a manager job and have one more factor to consider - for example Real Madrid (they have money, but you're not spending it) or Everton (2 million signing, but hey, at least he's yours!) In fact if I ever become an expert tactician in the game (seeing how it's almost March already... so not bloody likely), this can be a nice and refreshing change because I am forced to work with these players the director brings in.

That said, two things I'd like to suggest about the implementation:

- The position should be dynamic. The director can resign, change teams, or be fired. Or the position can be removed entirely, with the likelihood of this tied to the owner's personality. The creation of the position should also be linked to the owner - so I'm envisioning a scenario where a takeover occurs and a tycoon owner (who doesn't see much in the current manager) installs a managing director.

- The position should also be linked to the experience of the manager. It will be much less likely to see a successful manager agree to a job where a director is present, and vice versa. This can also be a fun addition to when you negotiate your contracts too, as in having the option to ask the board to remove the director. (I know I'm teetering close to office politics territory, but if it does get implemented, it's only reasonable that it affect all aspects of the team).

In a bit of a rush so I didn't go through the entire thread - apologies if I'm repeating some of the points.

Count me in as a supporter of this idea, though I certainly do see the arguments in not having a director of football. In fact, I've always had the most fun trying to find bargains on the transfer market and build a team around a bunch of uncovered gems bought for cheap, so to have that option taken away does negatively impact the experience for me.

...However, not all teams will have a director of football and it will make it more interesting when you apply for a manager job and have one more factor to consider - for example Real Madrid (they have money, but you're not spending it) or Everton (2 million signing, but hey, at least he's yours!) In fact if I ever become an expert tactician in the game (seeing how it's almost March already... so not bloody likely), this can be a nice and refreshing change because I am forced to work with these players the director brings in.

That said, two things I'd like to suggest about the implementation:

- The position should be dynamic. The director can resign, change teams, or be fired. Or the position can be removed entirely, with the likelihood of this tied to the owner's personality. The creation of the position should also be linked to the owner - so I'm envisioning a scenario where a takeover occurs and a tycoon owner (who doesn't see much in the current manager) installs a managing director.

- The position should also be linked to the experience of the manager. It will be much less likely to see a successful manager agree to a job where a director is present, and vice versa. This can also be a fun addition to when you negotiate your contracts too, as in having the option to ask the board to remove the director. (I know I'm teetering close to office politics territory, but if it does get implemented, it's only reasonable that it affect all aspects of the team).

I agree with your points in the main. The option of adding a DoF role to the takeovers makes perfect sense as atm takeovers dont really do nothing other than bring in a tycoon chairman or a pauper. There doesnt seem much logic as to why this happens. Regarding abroad, eg. Real Madrid, the election system would add to this. A chairman would bring in a certain DoF while another would bring another type. So surely if you bring success you should have the option to ask for his removal. Also these DoF could clearly be past players as they are still roaming around the database and therefore it would be entirely possible.

I think that this is a must for FM 11.It would bring another element to FM and make it more fun.And for those that dont like the idea you should be able to choose before starting a game if you want this or not.

Agreed. This would be a great feature. Unsure if they could implement it all for FM11 though as they are probably looking in other directions but that would be a shame because as I mentioned before, SI have a license for some of these leagues and adding a DoF would give them kudos with whoever grants the license since they would be adding more realism than their rivals.

The vast majority of clubs don't have one, at least in England

Then shall we ignore the DoF role just because in ONE league/nation it doesn't exist ot doesn't have a huge impact? :confused:

Last time I checked FM had plenty of leagues based outside of the U.K., leagues where the DoF is present and very relevant, much more than the actual "manager"-head coach.

What happened to realism?

If I manage Real Madrid or AC Milan, I don't want to be able of buying whoever I want, because in such clubs the "manager" doesn't buy players... He suggests players, but it's the DoF who takes care of business, with, of course, the final word of the board...

If the DoF doesn't think that Jamaican striker is needed, or if the board feels 4M for the 5th keeper isn't a bargain, you won't get those players. End of story.

Aborted signings, unwanted sales, useless additions... occurrences every "manager" in football has endured... Things that in FM we never witness, except when the board sells your Top Star for big bucks. But at least there's a reason.

It's not the same as "we know you wanted Xabi Alonso but he was too expensive, so here is Christian Poulsen..." or "Fabio Cannavaro and Fabio Grosso aren't young but we need experience" or "We sold Kaká for a lot of money but we're not going to fork it out for another star player. What about a former top striker you don't really need and who doesn't fit our style?"

In the game it's IMPOSSIBLE not having things going your way unless YOU screw it up... You want a player you can afford and who's willing to move there --> you'll have him.

You want to get rid of the deadwood --> you will

You want to sign a friend of yours, a random guy you like, the 12th winger because he looks promising... --> you can.

Just like real life eh? ;)

FM is great, sure, but we're basically playing as an almighty figure which in real football doesn't exist.

Not even in England! :p

You should have a choice when you sign your contract to be either the (General) Manager or Head Coach.

With the Manager contract you are in charge of everything.

As a Head Coach you get stuck with a Director of Football. The DoF does not have to go and buy players without your approve. I don't believe Shevechenco (sp!) was bought without Mourouho's knowlege. I am sure he was asked "we might be able to get him, do you want him?", Jose would have said "yes!".

The DoF can help you sign players at the best possible deal and contract. You could ask for a player X and the DoF will try to sign him. If they can not they will suggest and sign someone similar. Think the create filter based on player option.

I remember playing the version with interferring chairmans. It was only furstating because I would be making transfers and then the chairman would make transfers. This would come out of the same transfer funds. However, the players he would sign would be very high reputation, for example, Ronaldinho. This made for an interesting game. Having players that I could not get playing in my team normally, I needed to adapt and change my tactics.

Then shall we ignore the DoF role just because in ONE league/nation it doesn't exist ot doesn't have a huge impact? :confused:

Last time I checked FM had plenty of leagues based outside of the U.K., leagues where the DoF is present and very relevant, much more than the actual "manager"-head coach.

What happened to realism?

If I manage Real Madrid or AC Milan, I don't want to be able of buying whoever I want, because in such clubs the "manager" doesn't buy players... He suggests players, but it's the DoF who takes care of business, with, of course, the final word of the board...

If the DoF doesn't think that Jamaican striker is needed, or if the board feels 4M for the 5th keeper isn't a bargain, you won't get those players. End of story.

Aborted signings, unwanted sales, useless additions... occurrences every "manager" in football has endured... Things that in FM we never witness, except when the board sells your Top Star for big bucks. But at least there's a reason.

It's not the same as "we know you wanted Xabi Alonso but he was too expensive, so here is Christian Poulsen..." or "Fabio Cannavaro and Fabio Grosso aren't young but we need experience" or "We sold Kaká for a lot of money but we're not going to fork it out for another star player. What about a former top striker you don't really need and who doesn't fit our style?"

In the game it's IMPOSSIBLE not having things going your way unless YOU screw it up... You want a player you can afford and who's willing to move there --> you'll have him.

You want to get rid of the deadwood --> you will

You want to sign a friend of yours, a random guy you like, the 12th winger because he looks promising... --> you can.

Just like real life eh? ;)

FM is great, sure, but we're basically playing as an almighty figure which in real football doesn't exist.

Not even in England! :p

I agree with this, we need a bit more depth. Those who dont like it I suggest an on/off option at the start of the game but then they cant brag about how much they won or how easy it is because irl management is not easy.

Also wouldnt team talks involve the DoF instead of simply the players by themselves?

You should have a choice when you sign your contract to be either the (General) Manager or Head Coach.

With the Manager contract you are in charge of everything.

As a Head Coach you get stuck with a Director of Football. The DoF does not have to go and buy players without your approve. I don't believe Shevechenco (sp!) was bought without Mourouho's knowlege. I am sure he was asked "we might be able to get him, do you want him?", Jose would have said "yes!".

The DoF can help you sign players at the best possible deal and contract. You could ask for a player X and the DoF will try to sign him. If they can not they will suggest and sign someone similar. Think the create filter based on player option.

I remember playing the version with interferring chairmans. It was only furstating because I would be making transfers and then the chairman would make transfers. This would come out of the same transfer funds. However, the players he would sign would be very high reputation, for example, Ronaldinho. This made for an interesting game. Having players that I could not get playing in my team normally, I needed to adapt and change my tactics.

I believe that was FM06, not sure though. I still would like to know why this feature was abandoned.

I think the contract issue should be more random however I dont want to be DoF but I want a DoF within the game.

As I said before, I'm not against the idea in the slightest, but, is it one that's going to be worth programming?

I've gone on about the effect of the AI on the transfer market not being good enough to be able to make such an idea feasible at present, but what about the general interest of the consumer? Whilst I know that these forums represent only a small percentage of the total FM fanbase, this thread does really only has a very small number of members actually expressing an interest in this. And to add to that, this idea usually (and unfairly) gets torn to shreds on these boards. The truth is, people love being in control of their transfers and based on how this is usually received on these boards, I'd guess that very few people would have an interested in using such an option. What I'm getting at is would it really be worth SI coding what would be a major aspect, which would likely use up a lot of time and resources, for it to quite likely be an option that only a small number of people would likely use?

As I said before, I'm not against the idea in the slightest, but, is it one that's going to be worth programming?

I've gone on about the effect of the AI on the transfer market not being good enough to be able to make such an idea feasible at present, but what about the general interest of the consumer? Whilst I know that these forums represent only a small percentage of the total FM fanbase, this thread does really only has a very small number of members actually expressing an interest in this. And to add to that, this idea usually (and unfairly) gets torn to shreds on these boards. The truth is, people love being in control of their transfers and based on how this is usually received on these boards, I'd guess that very few people would have an interested in using such an option. What I'm getting at is would it really be worth SI coding what would be a major aspect, which would likely use up a lot of time and resources, for it to quite likely be an option that only a small number of people would likely use?

Well I feel that it is worth it. Most ppl who do not access the boards will use whatever is available. Should the DoF role be implemented, they would get used to it and it would become a part of the game for them. Also those who destroy these threads are the same ppl who likely gave us all those great ideas which they then criticise for being bugged and start to blame anyone and everyone. I think its unfair to suggest most ppl wouldn't want a DoF within the game. They seem to like the 3D engine, the advertising boards, the stadium info and the takeovers, all of which were not traditionally in the game and came under the same intense criticism you suggest will be given to this idea.

I don't mean this in any kind of racist way, but I think if this game had originally been produced by a German company, or a Spanish company, or even an American company (most of our sports involve DOF-type hierarchies), this option would have been included the whole time. There are few English clubs that have a true Director of Football, and even fewer that have been successful. But it's almost completely the opposite on the continent. Guys like Horst Heldt, Michael Zorc, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Predrag Mijatovic, etc., have pretty much full power over transfers.

I think this idea appeals to me more because I play Out of the Park Baseball, where you take on the role of a general manager (essentially the same as a director of football). Of course, with baseball it's a little different because it would be really time-consuming to play out all 162 games each season.

Gotta love how the "crusaders for realism" suddenly retreat as soon as a new, realistic yet ignored, feature gets proposed...

I can totally see how the DoF figure would be a HUGE roadblock on the way to total domination in FM universe, but that's actually another big reason for adding it pronto!

Thus far I've been reading countless threads about how easy the game gets after just a couple of seasons... of course it is!

All you need is a reasonable budget and then you can pretty much buy whoever you damn please, with little or no competition from the AI. And you can also sell deadwood as if it's solid gold... Incompetent AI+money+user's competence=easy and boring game.

Now, with a DoF you'll basically stop being Einstein in a world of Forrest Gumps, as the same flaws that affect the AI clubs will partly affect YOUR TEAM as well.

Sure, you could still try to guide your DoF and your board, but if they just WANT that 19yo "prospect" or that mediocre 29yo Colombian striker, you'll get them and will also pretend you like them.

And THEN go work the magic you've been gloating about for years :p

Unless you're Mourinho and your Chairman is loaded, you'll hardly be able to buy players "for the sake of it", and actually the most likely scenario will be like "we got you this and that, now go out and win the league".

And good luck if the board's idea of "good players" is different from yours...

P.S. I agree the transfer system needs to be fixed, and I also concur it's better having the pre-existing flaws/bugs to get sorted out before adding new ones...

However I think the DoF is a priority for the sake of realism. And I don't think it's that hard to implement.

Just like we have the Assistent Manager taking care of friendlies, contracts, team talks etc, why can't we have the option "Assistent Manager buys and sells players"?

Then from there it's just a matter of adding some sort of interaction between him and us, but the final word should ALWAYS be the board's.

P.S. Currently, the total lack of a DoF figure is a huge huge flaw in the quest for realism. Much more than the presence of nice touches, unnecessary additions etc...

Basically it's like having a RPG with an uber-detailed character building system but where Warriors can learn and cast Wizard spells and Wizards can wield the most badass sword of the game...

Details and attention to the smallest cosmetic thingy are awesome, but it all goes down the gutter the moment all of that is made null and void by a major flaw that gives the player a vast and unfair advantage

I feel that adding a DoF is essential to the game in its current format. It would add an extra dimension and would deal with the typical complaint from ppl that its either too easy or a useless AssMan problem. I hope SI are looking into this as its the logical way forward.

I don't think the transfer system really needs to be "fixed" before DoFs can be introduced.

The AI teams will face the same problem so you wouldn't be at any disadvantage. And the whole point of working under a DoF is that you don't always get the players you want.

Exactly. This adds to the challenge which in itself is what improving the game is all about. This thread has some great ideas, lets hope SI take note.

Seeing as Barcelona are in election year over in Spain, I hear that whoever takes over may change the DoF. That would be another cool feature within the game. Say a new president comes in and he wants David Beckham as his DoF for example, then if its a club where you have him as favourite personnel he may just let you get on with things. If instead he hates you then he may not let you do much. All this would add to the challenge.

• 1 month later...

Its called FIFA manager

you can build youth camps, a new stadium, build facilities e.g. training grounds or a youth academy, hire CEO's, buy or create a club, negotiate with sponsors, etc.

Just a shame that Football manager doesn't have these features and FIFA manager doesn't have Football managers good features.

But this just brings up arguement of the games called Football Manager.

Director of Footballs could may well play a bigger part in future versions but I wouldn't expect that being allowed to become a director of football would be brought in.

Theres so many threads like this with people wanting different positions implemented, and everyone of them is answered with its called Football Manager.

Good idea but it'll never happen.

It might happen in 10 to 20 years time! You never can predict the future! :D

Its called FIFA manager

you can build youth camps, a new stadium, build facilities e.g. training grounds or a youth academy, hire CEO's, buy or create a club, negotiate with sponsors, etc.

Just a shame that Football manager doesn't have these features and FIFA manager doesn't have Football managers good features.

That is being the DoF. Op was about implementing a DoF, but not being Dof yourself. You'd still be the manager.

If you were answering another post in this thread, or i've misunderstood, then my bad :cool:

Archived