closer definiton of short and direct passing

hi guys,

am wondering what exactly these two types of passings are.

what exactly does direct passing mean? is it one touch passing or long balls?

what about short passing?

does it mean that they prefer to play easy and safe passes?

and how should my playmaker play? i do want him to make the game quicker and to allow him deadly or more dangerous and difficult passes, cause he might have the ability to do it better than a holding middfielder

would be nice if someone could help me.

ps: another question about creative freedom

when i allow a player a lot creative freedom, does it mean, that he will completely ignore my individual settings, or does it just mean, that he sometimes will use his own 'brain' to find a solution in difficult situations.

have a nice day

As far as I know short passing doesn't mean that the player tries to play easy and short passes. They are more likely to play short passes than long passes, but these passes are not easy. Short passing games require more technical abilities. Usually, when I play with a top team, I play a short passing game with a low tempo to tire the opponent out and wait for the changes to come.

About the playmaker: I usually put him on high normal passing (about 3 notches to the right from the middle) so he could play the killer pass.

These are my thoughts about passing, but they may be utter nonsense. :p

from what i know direct passing is trying to the ball forward as quickly as possible while short passing players opt to play it to a teammate close to them than just trying to get the ball forward all the time.

hope that helps

As far as I know short passing doesn't mean that the player tries to play easy and short passes. They are more likely to play short passes than long passes, but these passes are not easy. Short passing games require more technical abilities. Usually, when I play with a top team, I play a short passing game with a low tempo to tire the opponent out and wait for the changes to come.

About the playmaker: I usually put him on high normal passing (about 3 notches to the right from the middle) so he could play the killer pass.

These are my thoughts about passing, but they may be utter nonsense. :p

I agree. Short passing is more suitable for players of higher quality.

I prefer to use varied passing on almost the whole team.

Its actually quite strange, because for me Direct passing has two differing meanings dependant on what side you are.

For a weaker side, it's "Route One" playing up top - usually to a Target Man - so you look for flick ons etc. The weakness is that you lose possession if it doesn't come off.

But for stronger sides, it doesn't mean "long ball", it means looking for the forward pass as soon as it becomes available. When a really good side plays like this, they don't lose possession as often because the players have the skill to "make it stick" with precise passing.

It's all about interpretation; as is the use of tempo with your passing style. The general theory is that short passing combines with a slow tempo, but really good sides utilise a swift tempo with a short passing game to link nice interchangable passes. Direct can be combined with a slow tempo for counter attacking tactics where you launch suddenly into an attack.

As well as the link above it's also important to know that;

Passing Style

Passing style is fairly simple – this dictates the range of passing your team will adopt. The slider ranges from Short to Long and the notches in between will gradually ask your team to play a more expansive passing game. When deciding upon the style of passing you want your team to use, you’ll need to consider how everything else will affect it, both in terms of tactics and personnel. Have your players got the required attributes to keep the ball comfortably over short distances? Does your passing style suit the tempo and mentality of your team? If you’re looking to play a direct game with an attacking mentality, your players may be launching longer passes from positions further up the pitch, which may prove wasteful.

Archived