[FM10] Der's More to Amsterdam Dan Dis....

Elrithral

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do, but i'm actually playing season 6 irl, so I can't tell you because i've probably signed them :D I play way ahead of my updates, i'm used to doing that with FMS, it's difficult to drop the habit. I do it in FMS because you have to make sure the save is interesting before writing about it.

There are two major singings next season, a wee taste for ya.

November 2012

Ajax 3 – 0 Willem II

Cvitanich started the new month as he finished the old, another brace to add to his collection and boost his position at the top of the goal scoring charts. Suarez finally got on the score sheet as well, he had gone one month without a goal and we needed him in top form as we anticipate a visit from PSV mid month.

Ajax 4 – 0 Slavia Prague

Rodney Sneijder has really come into his own this season, I’ve spent the best part of two years retraining him as a right winger and he grabbed his chance, in his new position, with two hands. Bentley is warming the bench and making sounds about a January move, but never mind the fact that home grown talent is preferable to moody foreigners, Sneijder looks like he’ll be twice the player David could have been. The win made sure of our place in the First Knockout round, Barcelona would join us and the only thing up for discussion, in the group, was who ended up in the Europa League.

NAC Breda 4 – 3 Ajax

Have a look at the timing of the goals! We were 4-0 down at half time, Idabdelhay played well, but we should have been ten times better. Our second half performance pleased me because the players listened to me and took my criticism on board, but if they hard done that to begin with we would have had another win and wouldn’t be going into the PSV game on the back of a humiliating loss.

Ajax 3 – 1 PSV

Songo’o’s goal in the 8th minute had my heart in my throat and my fists clenched as I braced myself for another heavy loss, but Wellington had returned just in time and the Brazilian, in for the injured Cvitanich, took the PSV defence to task. He scored the equaliser and set up Suarez for number two. If we hadn’t lost against NAC Breda we would have gained three points on the leaders, but as it stood, we had just regained the points lost last time out.

Ajax 2 – 0 AZ

Another excellent performance against one of the tougher teams in the division, though we did, as always, rely heavily on captain fantastic between the sticks. AZ’s red card came late in the game and by that time we had sewn up all three points with a Bentley penalty and Oleguer header. Interesting to note that Andrade and Oleguer, my two oldest central defenders are also my two most solid and dependable defenders. I honestly can’t remember the last time they let me down.

FC Utrecht 1 – 2 Ajax

Another match winning and man of the match performance from Stekelenberg saw us get away with three points. Truth be told, we were lucky and Utrecht, after Wolfswinkel’s goal, were in the ascendency and well worth a point. I’m not going to turn my nose up at three points, which I’m sure it seems like I’ve been doing since the start of the season, but I really want to stress the point that our performances are really poor and I really am worried that we’ve already lost our title.

Ajax 0 – 0 Barcelona

I toyed with the idea of fielding a weaker team in a game that didn’t really mean anything, but then I considered how big a confidence boost it would be if we managed to win against Barca. In the end I settled for the best of both worlds, a majority of the starters were first team, but players like Diarra, Maduro and Rondon got a run out. They did me proud and we deserved to win, unfortunately Suarez was on an off day and Sulejmani continued to struggle for form, but two draws from two games against Barca is an impressive feat for a club like us, especially given our season so far.

The Season So Far

I continue to stress over performances rather than results, we continue to win despite the obvious complacency worming it’s way through the squad, but that really is thanks to one or two top performers who are papering over the cracks. We remain in second, hot on the heals of PSV, or as hot as 7 points behind can be, we’re still in the Dutch Cup and we’ve made sure of participation in the knockout stages of the CL, not all bad, but still not good enough.

*Mike, I really have no idea. One minute he was scoring two agaisnt Inter and dragging us through Europe, the next he's getting 5 ratings :confused:*

December 2012

Feyenoord 3 – 1 Ajax

The opening game of the month dished out another defeat, pushed us another three points behind PSV and worst of all, came against our most bitter rivals. We didn’t actually play badly; we fell foul of two unbelievable long shots from Sergey Krivets, but we should have taken our chances earlier in the game. Bentley put in one of his worst performances yet, I don’t know what has happened to him, but Lyon are sniffing round and if I can recoup what I paid for him I might just bite their arm off.

Ajax 5 – 0 Roda JC

What a way to bounce back from a disappointing loss. The lads were on fire, in particular Sneijder, who continues to settle in well and keep Bentley out of the starting lineup. There is one problem with the youngster though, his natural fitness and stamina are poor and he does tire quickly, with that in mind, if I do sell Bentley, I’ll have to bring in adequate cover to replace Sneijder in the easier games.

FC Twente 1 – 3 Ajax

Another good victory, Suarez continues his fine form and Wellington is starting to look like the prolific striker that I believe we needed. Slight concern regards Agbossoumonde’s form, the American is averaging in the 6’s and I expect a lot better, might have to look at bringing someone in and shaking it up if he doesn’t improve soon.

AEK Athens 1 – 4 Ajax

Busquets turned in a blinding performance against the champions of Greece, qualification had already been confirmed, but it’s still nice to record a comprehensive victory away from home in Champions League. Diarra did really well and he’d given me food for thought, is my midfield too creative and do we lack a tough tackler?

Ajax 5 – 1 ADO Den Haag

Wowsers, cracking display from Wellington, he looks to be the real deal, already drawing comparisons to the Ronaldo of PSV days, he’s smashing them in left right and centre. If he can continue this prolific vein of form I have no doubt that we will be able to catch PSV.

NEC 0 – 3 Ajax

Scoring goals really isn’t a problem this season, we’ve scored far more than at this stage last season and we always look decent value for scoring, regardless of the opposition. Wellington and Suarez are building a very decent partnership, but there’s a problem with players who do well in Holland, they attract attention from bigger and more powerful clubs and leagues. This is the first season we have navigated past the 4th round of the Cup :eek:

De Graafshcap 1 – 3 Ajax

Another brace from the little Brazilian forward handed us victory against a very tricky De Graafschap side. PSV lose only their second game of the season, which sees us reduce their lead to seven points, to make my smile even bigger, our next few games are winnable and their next few games are tricky.

The Season So Far

One thing I notice month in and month out is the lack of clean sheets, we’re scoring goals like no tomorrow, but we’re struggling to keep opposition strikers at bay. We’re still in with a shout in the league, seven points adrift, but in good form and likely to keep it going given the level of opposition we are set to face in the next month or so. That said, the likes of RKC reddened our faces earlier in the season and shouldn’t be underestimated.

League Table Mid Season

Our form in the Champions League has been nothing short of exceptional, we qualified from our group with ease and got a very winnable draw for the First Knockout Round, Shakhtar, the team we beat twice last season, shouldn’t present too much of a challenge and I’m confident of a Quarter Final Appearance.

Champions League Group Final

January/February 2013

Two bits of transfer news and one apology as we get stuck into January. The used to be good, but now abysmally poor Bentley has moved to Lyon for £7.75m, more than I expected to bring in considering his woeful recent form. Coming in to replace him is young Dutch prospect Nacer Barazite, signed from Arsenal for only £1.1m and more than capable of filling in for Sneijder on the right.

The apology comes because I’ve lost the screenshots for Janaury and half of February so this update is a bit thin on the ground as I can’t remember who scored :o The rest of the season is fine though.

Vitesse 0 – 2 Ajax

A nice way to start the new year and a bit of a confidence boost as we get stuck in to an action pack January and February.

Ajax 3 – 0 RKC

Revenge for our humiliating defeat earlier in the season.

Ajax 5 – 0 Heerenveen

A very impressive victory that kept us in with a chance of winning the Dutch Cup and saw us through to the Semi Finals.

FC Den Bosch 0 – 2 Ajax

Our fourth clean sheet in a row, not bad and a good start to the new year.

Roda JC 2 – 2 Ajax

Slightly disappointed with this result, could have done with the three points, but a draw is better than a loss and maintains our unbeaten start to 2013.

Ajax 6 – 1 NEC

Absolutely smashing, 6 of the best and all thanks to a magnificent display from the two wingers and two strikers. Suarez and Wellington are the most prolific partnership in Europe at the moment and long may it continue. Barazite performed well on the right, whilst Sneijder had a chance to play on his favoured left side, he’s a first team regular now.

Shakhtar 0 – 2 Ajax

Two first half away goals from man of the moment Suarez look to have booked us a place in the Quarter Finals. Shakhtar were extremely poor, to be honest I was surprised to see them in the knockout stages and they were probably the easiest opposition we could hope for. The first time in a long while that Wellington goes without a goal, hope this isn’t the start of a bad run of form….

Ajax 1 – 0 Sparta

Bogey team number one dispatched with relative ease. It took over an hour to get on the score sheet, but player of the season, so far, Sneijder scored a delightful chip that made sure of three points. Cvitanich wasted a number of chances, a mixture of competition for places and injury has seen him lose all his early season goal scoring form, which makes life easier for me and basically confirms Wellington’s place week in, week out.

The Season So far

An excellent start to 2013, the goals are still coming, but now they are coming along with clean sheets! Only three goals conceded in eight games, the defence has improved and the midfield are pulling their weight.

However, best news of all….We’ve caught PSV! I’m afraid I don’t have a screen shot to show you, but the Eindhoven club have managed only two wins this side of Christmas and we’re level on points going into the final two months.

*Dal, Barazite is a quality player, but Sneijder is better. He might get more of a run out next season if I decide to sell Sulejmani, who has been underperforming. higgins, I don't know how to describe our form this season, stop start? The new update will explain all.*

March 2013

Heerenveen 0 – 1 Ajax

We start the month with another win and another clean sheet, not bad and hopefully a sign of things to come, as we look to make an impossible comeback and reclaim our title. To be honest, the performance wasn’t all that good and Stekelenberg saved us on more than one occasion, it took a red card and a free kick for Suarez to drill the winner home, but three points is the most important thing and as long as we keep winning I should be smiling.

Ajax 4 – 2 De Graafschap

It took us a while to get going, fifty minutes to be exact, but when we found our feet we rattled them in. Sneijder was an inspiration, the progress this lad has made this season is outstanding, Milan are sniffing around, but I’ve just handed him a rather lucrative contract and hope that he’ll stay. An own goal Agbossoumonde had me sweating a little, but we managed to see out the final few minutes and claim our fifth straight win.

Ajax 4 – 0 Shakhtar

Talk about an emphatic victory against tricky opponents! Shakhtar are a team we should be beating, but not necessarily by this score line and the result proves just how far we’ve come since that dreadful opening month of the campaign. Sneijder produced another man of the match display and Suarez continued his coring run, but I’ve finally lost patience with Wellington. Yet another striker flatters to deceive and fades away after mid season, it gives me a chance to welcome Cvitanich back into the fold and hope that he can recapture his early season form.

Ajax 1 – 1 FC Groningen

Not bad, but not great. Our finishing let us down as Groningen claimed a poijt against the run of play. Their opener caught us off guard and after that it’s very difficult to regain control when you’re playing against an eleven man defence. Cvitanich was particularly disappointing, he really is a morale player and needs games and praise in order to find his form; I hope I haven’t left it too late to bring him in.

Willem II 1 – 1 Ajax

We really struggled in this game, struggled to get the ball into the box and struggled to complete any of our attacks. It took over 70 minutes for us to finally register and even then we had to rely on Sneijder, as usual. We had plenty of possession, the midfield played well, but as soon as the ball entered the final third we fell short and lack of composure cost us. The equaliser was a real kick in the teeth, but hopefully a wake up call as yet another couple of points are dropped and PSV return to the top of the table.

PSV 1 – 2 Ajax

Finally, the Dutch Cup curse has lifted and we book ourselves a place in the final against Feyenoord. Both teams gave the impression that this wasn’t a priority game, but both sides were eager to claim an advantage over their rivals and hopefully knock their confidence/dent their morale. That said, I fielded a weaker side, the league really is priority and I threw caution to wind. So many reserves played so well, Andrade still producing the goods, Eriksen hoping to get a few more games next season and Rondon scoring yet again when given the chance to play. It was an absolutely cracking performance from the lads and I hope that I can return the favour by naming them in the final, but that all depends on how what happens in the league.

Ajax 1 – 1 NAC Breda

This was a must win game, we couldn’t afford to slip up yet again and we couldn’t afford to give PSV the edge with a trip to Eindhoven still to come. Conceding a first half goal wasn’t on the menu and struggling, once again, in front of goal wasn’t what the doctor ordered. The draw left us one point ahead of PSV with four to go, but all three games, plus the cup final and the Champions LeagueL quarter finals would be played with Suarez in the treatment room.

The Season So Far

It all hinges on these final four league games, two Champions League games and Dutch Cup final, it could be the greatest season of a majority of Ajax fan’s lives, but it could just as easily be a complete disaster. Our league form is poor, six points dropped in our last three games, we need goals and we need Suarez. We are set to play Marseille in the Champions League, a tough team, but one that we could beat, if we had Suarez. The Dutch Cup final will test us, Feyenoord are a good side, but I pray to God that we have Suarez!

April/May 2013

Marseille 2 – 0 Ajax

Were Marseille that good? No, not really. Were we that bad? Yes, without a shadow of a doubt. What happened to Wellington? Not even six months ago he was banging them in left right and centre, picking up man of the match awards as he went along, but now he doesn’t look like he could hit a barn door. His wayward finishing cost us the game, though defending let a lot to be desired as well. I can’t help thinking that his goals and the subsequent attention from other clubs has messed with his head and might well cash in during the summer.

PSV 3 – 2 Ajax

Ah well, it’s not mathematical yet, but we’re relying on PSV slipping up for a second time and I don’t see it happening. It took us sixty minutes to get going and by that time we were three down, we can’t keep underperforming and relying on my team talks, we have to start games with passion, not add it an hour later. Too many players are becoming too complacent and expecting things to be handed to them, I predict a massive shake up in the summer.

Ajax 0 – 0 Marseille

The average ratings tell you all you need to know, a really good team performance, let down by poor finishing and off form strikers. The Quarter Finals might be considered a success for a team like Ajax, but having managed the Semis last year it feels like a step backwards. This coupled with our league performance has me seriously worried about our future, not least because I have no idea how tio improve the team.

Ajax 1 – 1 Feyenoord

We can’t seem to buy a win at the moment, we’re struggling for goals and we’re not closing out games. Feyenoord are a good side, but we’re twice the team they are should be doing better. A drab encounter doesn’t bode well for the upcoming Cup final.

Ajax 4 – 0 FC Utrecht

Too little, too late. Suarez proves how influential he can be and fires us to our first win in five league games, but PSV match our result and claim the title. It’s difficult to describe how I feel about this result, on one hand I’m glad that we are finally being challenged and have a domestic challenge that can keep me interested, but on the other hand I don’t know what went wrong because we played some really good stuff and scored a fantastic amount of goals. Ah well, time to move on and start thinking about next year, two without a title would be too much to take.

Ajax 4 – 2 Feyenoord

The fans have something to smile about and I add another trophy to my mantelpiece. The Dutch Cup is hardly a big deal, but it boosts morale and after three seasons of failure in this competition it’s nice to finally make a go of it. Would I trade in this trophy for a fourth successive league title? Yes, no questions asked. However, the performance is the main thing and a cracking display against our rivals was spurred by Suarez, the double would be ours if it wasn’t for his injury.

AZ 1 – 1 Ajax

No good result to see out the end of the season, we limped over the line with a single point against ten man AZ, a very average point and a very average performance that summe dup our very average season.

Season Summary

What can I say about league performance? Is abysmal too strong a word? We’ve went from three titles in a row to claiming second on goal difference. However, solace can be taken in the fact that we won as many games as last season, lost less and scored 20% more goals (stats can be found in the OP). When you look at it like that you realise that this season is all about how much the teams around us have improved and that should give us the incentive to match them next season.

Final League Table

The Champions League performance was disappointing. Like I said, some people would say that the Quarter Finals is an admirable achievement for a club our size, but we’ve taken a step backwards and Marseille are exactly the type of team we should be beating with relative ease. There’s always next season.

Champions League Knockout Stage

There are going to be mega changes next season, I just hope I’m here to see them through. A takeover started during July and the new buyer wants to replace me with Louis Van Gaal :(

Tough season, that one. But you know, you can't win the league every season. And if you don't win it, finish second. You suffered from key players going off the boil.

I would imagine you'll be there or thereabouts next season. Sneijder looks amazing.

I stumbled across this thread by accident last night and I've just finished reading all the updates and just want to say it sounds like you've done very well. I hope you don't loose your job at Ajax, would be a complete injustice if they sacked you.

I've just started my own file with Ajax which is how I found this, I'm hoping to follow a similar path to what you've done here. Again, great story that I'll make sure I keep following.

*matt, many thanks. Make sure you play Suarez up front and not on the wings, don;t make the same mistake as me :D*

August 2013

The takeover collapses due to lack of funds and I start season five perched on the edge of the Ajax hotseat! :cool:

I promised wholesale changes, so here I go. Players leaving the club include Jose Rondon, who despite looking like one for the future, doesn’t have the quality to take us a step further and I liked the lad too much to deny him a chance of first team football at Standard Liege, he left for £900k. Christian Eriksen, he’s not going to live up to expectations and even if he does he isn’t going to shift Ekdal or Busquets so he made tracks for Panathinaikos in a £650k deal. German Pacheco moved to Chelsea for £2m, a decent profit on a player I brought in for free and who has plenty of potential, but never lived up to it.

The final three transfers out were biggies. Sulejmani, one time fan favourite and sure thing for the left wing has moved to West Ham for £4.2m after a really, really poor and complacent season. Young American right back Tony Curtis has moved to Valencia for £6.5m, I wanted to keep him, but his head had been turned and I had no chance of holding onto him once the big Spanish clubs started bidding. Wellington Silva, the guy who started the season so well, but ended it so badly, moved to Dinamo Kiev for £10m. I was going to give him another season, but their offer represented a bid 10 times what we paid for him and imo it was too good to refuse.

Those sales gave me an extra £24m on top of my £40m budget so I set out on a mega spending spree, but was thwarted by the horrifically poor Dutch league rep and struggled to bring in anything other than youth. First up were two loan signings, Davide Rizzo a teen striking sensation from AC Milan arrived for one season and a fee of £3.1m, David Langkamp a cultured midfielder with all the potential to be the next Michael Ballack arrived for one season from Werder Bremen for a fee of £1.5m. Rizzo would only provide cover up front and I was still eager to bring in a more prolific target man to partner Suarez, David Villalva looks a fantastic prospect and his potential saw me throw £12.5m at River Plate for his services.

One more big money buy, two more players for the future and a backup Dutchman to warm the bench. Yago arrives from Dinamo Kiev, I hand them back their £10m for Wellington and bring in the talented Spanish left winger as a direct replacement for Sulejmani. Vincenzo Camilleri arrives from Reggina for £5m, hopefully he’ll shore up the defence that seemed so leaky last year and Ali Laborde replaces Tony Curtis at right back, a snip at £5.75m for the talented wing back from Lille. The final signing was Ferrie Bodde from Heerenveen, £2.4m for a Dutch international who would provide extra depth in midfield, but spend more time in the reserves than on the pitch.

Ajax 2 – 0 Heracles

A decent start to the season, a good team performance and two goals from our mercurial striker Suarez. Laborde and Yago seemed to fit in well, both producing solid debuts and getting involve din the play. You’ll see Andrade still plugging away in the centre of defence and still producing the goods, he’s turning 36 this season and he’s still better than a majority of the players available for me to sign.

AZ 1 – 3 Ajax

An absolutely cracking result and another brace for Suarez, an early season win over one of our main challengers will do confidence the world of good and hopefully set us up fro a run of form. Yago nabbed a goal and the man of the match award, he’s already looking like a nice piece of business, hopefully he’s the missing piece of the puzzle.

Ajax 2 – 0 Vitesse

Pacheco plays his last game for the club, what a disappointing purchase he was. He has all the potential in the world and I have no doubt that one day he will realise it, but right now I can’t afford a player with such disruptive personality traits and a distinct lack of form. Busquets is performing a lot better than last season, so far and Yago getting another goal gives me hope.

De Graafschap 0 – 1 Ajax

Villalva had a decent debut, but was carried off in the final few minutes and will miss the next couple of matches. After his early form and excellent displays, Yago failed to turn up in this game and as a result we struggled against a very beatable team, eventually Sneijder struck a late winner from the penalty spot. Our first poor performance of the season.

September 2013

Ajax 3 – 1 FC Utrecht

Reminiscent of last season we conceded an early goal and spent the rest of the game making up for our mistakes, if it hadn’t been for Rizzo we might not have had a chance of making up for them. The Italian looks very impressive already and he’s not even 20, I’d love to make him a permanent addition, but hopefully Villalva will be good enough because I couldn’t afford Milan’s £17m asking price.

Ajax 1 – 3 Getafe

De Graafschap is no longer our worst performance of the season, this is it. The central defence were absolutely abysmal, Agbossoumonde struggled to cope with Getafe’s physical strikers and Alderweireld wasn’t much better. We entered the final 33 minutes a goal ahead and ended up conceding three, two in the final five minutes. I wouldn’t be so annoyed if it wasn’t for the fact that this was a home tie and only our third loss at home, in Europe for three years, the others coming against Juve and Villa. Worryingly though, we have to overcome CSKA Moscow and Marseille if we are to stand any chance of progressing.

RBC 3 – 4 Ajax

Another poor defensive display, we entered the 50th minute two behind against Eredivisie cannon fodder, scraped it back to 2-2 and then handed them the lead again. Thankfully Rizzo was on form and it was his deflected effort, going down as a Coutinho og, thatsaved our bacon.

vv Haaglandia 1 – 4 Ajax

Villalva returns and makes an instant impact in his Dutch Cup debut. The big Argentine looked very impressive, scoring one with his head and the other with a low left footed drive. The entire team did well and looked to have put the Getafe debacle behind them, though it was against lower league opposition who had given us a scare in the opening three minutes.

The Season So Far

Six wins from six games in the league, I’m only three away from my “games won in a row” record. We’re sitting pretty at the top of the league, though PSV have two games in hand and have won all four of their matches, but performances have left a lot to be desired. Carrying on from last season we’re scoring plenty and getting goals from all areas of the team, but defensively we look weak and have conceded 5 in 6. However, I’m confident that we can improve and at the end of the day, at least we’re still willing.

I’m less confident about Europe and the Champions League. Getafe were really impressive, getting a result away to them is going to be difficult, let alone getting a result against Marseille (the team who knocked us out last year). That means that with five games to go I’m not confident of getting a win in three of them and that’s not good enough for second place, which means we have to win against CSKA and make sure of third place.

Just thought I'd point out, a couple of your sreenshots show the opposition's ratings rather than Ajax's.

I also have a question. Is the Yago you've signed the one who starts at Juventus? I have a young Spanish Yago at Juve in my save and I'm just wondering if it's the same guy.

MeLikeFM, I can go for the Europa League, but I have to qualify for it first :o

Mike7077, Indeed it is the Yago from Juve, he is very, very good. I noticed the screenshots were wrong, but it's too late and i'm way past the time period for going back and getting new screenies. Sorry.

I'm sorry because i've let you all down. You come here expecting a relevant career update, not a mish mash of text and random screens. Christ almighty i'm sorry!

Yes, without giving anything away, Yago does very well for me, though that is in the Dutch league. However;

He's a bit of a troublemaker and gets on my wick a bit because he does well and gets too big for his boots. He's had 5 different clubs in 5 years, which says a lot (we're number 4).

October 2013

CSKA Moscow 1 – 0 Ajax

Buggeration, this result means that we have to get a win against either Getafe away or Marseille home or away, which is a tall ask, especially given our continental form so far. Of all the games for Suarez, who until now had been in blistering form, not to show up, it had to be this one. We looked devoid of ideas, plenty of possession, but doing absolutely nothing with it and conceding a goal on the break. It’s not quite disaster point, but a loss to Marseille at home and we could very well be looking at a Champions League humiliation.

Feyenoord 0 – 1 Ajax

How do you from a loss against weaker opposition to a win against one your biggest rivals and title contenders? Stekelenberg got man of the match for a string of saves, but truth be told, we were all over them from start to finish, limiting them to long shots and getting plenty of goalmouth action of our own. Played two of our main contenders, beaten two of our main contenders, the league is going well atm.

NAC Breda 0 – 2 Ajax

This could have been double figures, we absolutely destroyed Breda and peppered their goal with shot after shot, but Villalva seemed to have come down with the curse of the second striker and came up against an on fire Breda keeper. It was up to Suarez to save us and Camilleri to get his first goal for the club.

Ajax 1 – 0 Marseille

You think I’m joking about the curse of the second striker, right? Well have a look at Villalva’s attributes and then tell me how he can miss so many chances? Marseille were awful, nothing like the team that knocked us out of last season’s competition; they struggled to cope with my midfield, which wasn’t actually full strength. Suarez got the only goal of the game and gave us hope.

Ajax 5 – 0 FC Twente

Rizzo and Suarez work well together, every match I think long and hard about giving Rizzo a run in the team, but pride means I’m unwilling to admit that Villalva hasn’t quite worked out. A cracking performance against a good team, Twente didn’t know what had hit them and were brushed aside by a fluid and emphatic performance from my lads. Are we starting to find form and wins?

Ajax 2 – 0 Venray

Two goals in ten minutes and we book ourselves a place in the fourth round of the Dutch Cup. Mo Diarra turns in another excellent performance albeit against weaker opposition, but he’s in line to reclaim the DM position, giving Busquets the chance to move forward into a more creative role. Not sure where that leaves Ekdal though.

The Season So Far

Ten wins in a row, a smashing start to the league campaign and we’re starting to play well, I’m starting to relax, but maybe that’s a bad thing. In Europe we’ve given ourselves hope with a good win against Marseille and we’re making steady progress in the cup. November and December are going to be make or break months as we face PSV and battle for our Champions League survival.

In other news, £12.75m hitman Villalva has gone back to Argentina for a month on leave, he has struggled to settle in and I’m left wondering what I have to do to find a partner for Suarez.

November 2013

Roda JC 2 – 2 Ajax

Suarez got us off to a fantastic start, but three goals in the space of ten minutes changed the game and try as we might, we couldn’t find enough to get a third and claim all three points. Given our 100% start to the league campaign it was a disappointing result, especially considering that we held the lead, but one point is better than none, I just hope we can bounce back against Marseille.

Marseille 2 – 0 Ajax

I didn’t expect to win, but the manner of the defeat was difficult to take. Everyone except the captain, and he was unfortunate enough to concede an own goal as the ball rebounded off the bar, off his back and into the back of the net, seemed to roll over and let Marseille walk away with three points. We had proved at home that we were more than a match for the French Champions, but the players didn’t seem to believe.

Ajax 2 – 2 Heerenveen

Letting go of a two goal lead is unacceptable, especially as you prepare for a game against your biggest challengers and especially against a team like Heerenveen that we should be beating easily. Rizzo got a brace and we looked to be on course for the win, but Heerenveen managed tos teal a point thanks to two wonder goals from 30 yards out.

Ajax 0 – 2 PSV

Ten games won in a row, now three without a win. The loss didn’t see us drop top spot, but it made us a little less comfortable as PSV moved level on points. Sneijder was abysmal and Milevskyi continued his vendetta against me, the Champions were good value for the win and all I can do is hope that this gives us the kick up the arse we obviously need.

FC Groningen 0 – 5 Ajax

What a way to bounce back and look who the architect was! Cvitanich continues to give me the two fingers and produce the goods despite being shunned. I don’t know what this lad has to do to earn a place in my first team, most other managers would have taken the hint by now, but not me, I’m already weighing up my options for next season! I need to wise up.

Getafe 3 – 3 Ajax

This result means that we have to beat CSKA and hope that Marseille take all three points against Getafe, which is about as unlikely as unlikely things go. We’re stuck to the bottom of the group and staring humiliation in the face. I hate Roberto Soldado.

The Season So Far

A pretty effing horrendous month! Europe looks like a lost cause, money out the window and Champions League quality players without Champions League football to play in, this could have serious repercussions. League form took a serious nose dive, though the win against Heerenveen was pretty impressive and hopefully a step in the right direction. We’re top of the league, but I’m terrified that everything is about to come crashing down around me.

December 2013

Willem II 0 – 2 Ajax

We welcome Villalva back after his break and the Argentine does well, failing to get on the score sheet, but setting up Suarez for our opening goal. It’s nice to get a second win in a row, after a poor November, but we could have come up against tougher teams than Willem II. The winter break is fast approaching and I want to start the New Year in top spot.

Ajax 4 – 0 FC Den Bosch

This win looks a bit more convincing than it actually was, though the team did put in a good performance. Two own goals gave us an emphatic victory and Den Bosch were pretty poor, but a win is a win and three points are the most important thing. Unfortunately we’re coming up to the January transfer window and performances like these attract the attentions of bigger clubs, I might struggle to hold on to Laborde and Angel.

Ajax 1 – 1 CSKA Moscow

We’re out of the Champions League and we’re out of Europe, humiliation complete despite Villalva’s goal in the 40th minute. I’m absolutely devastated, Europe means an awful lot to me and it seems to me that we take two steps back for every one forward in this competition. Perhaps I should kid myself into thinking that it works out well and gives us a chance to focus on reclaiming the title from PSV? Na, not buying it.

Sparta 1 – 3 Ajax

Villalva is having no luck with us, scores a brace and becomes homesick, scores in Europe and ends up spending the next month out injured! Thank goodness we have Suarez to provide the goals, he’s in fine form, his best season so far imo, if it wasn’t for him we’d be struggling. Langkamp got a rare run out, he looks steady, but I don’t think he’s good enough, especially considering the £10m Werder were asking for him.

Heracles 1 – 3 Ajax

We don’t get as many goals from central midfield as I would like, so it’s nice to see Busquets get on the score sheet and nice to see him get two to his name. The win sees us through to the Quarter Finals of the Dutch Cup and in with a chance of the double, perhaps that would make up for the failure in Europe, but there’s a lot of football to be played. Cringe.

Heracles 0 – 3 Ajax

Same again, except we fail to concede and Busquets only scores one this time round. The Spaniard enjoys the freedom of the advanced central midfield roll and if he keeps up this goal scoring form Ekdal will struggle to get back in the side. Suarez adds another couple of goals to his name, who needs a more prolific striker? It might be hard to stave off the interest of AC Milan though.

The Season So far

We continue to hold the edge over PSV in the league, PSV have a game in hand and if they win that they come level on points, but our goal difference is far superior and we hope to keep the run of five straight wins going after the New Year. It’s worth pointing out that our form has improved significantly, we’re actually playing good football now and imo it’s thanks to Mo Diarra. The Malian has taken over the DM roll and his tackling and work rate has given Busquets and Ekdal, either or, the chance to focus on creativity. You might remember me mentioning the possibility that my midfield was too creative, well it seems that I was right and we needed a bit more grit, thankfully I didn’t have to spend a penny and despite his age Mo is still world class :cool:

League Table

Europe? The less said the better.

Champions League Group

Glad to see Diarra doing so well. He's an important player in my Juve team, although he starts on the bench when everyone is fit and playing well. But I have no worries when I do start him. He covers ground, passes well and breaks things up nicely. He's 30 on my game so maybe he'll start to fade soon but if he can cut it in Serie A then there's no reason why he can't play an important role in the Dutch league.

Yago looks a cracking player. I didn't realise he was that good.

January 2014

Not much happening in the transfer window other than two big, big names coming in to shore up the midfield. Alberto Aquilani, who has played a pitiful 18 league games in four and a half seasons at Liverpool comes in for a measly £1.1m. He is only 29 and twice the player Ekdal is, but injuries and lack of natural fitness will limit his appearances, however, when you egt a chance to sign a player of this quality to a club like Ajax you don’t turn your nose up. The same goes for Esteban Cambiasso, he might be 34 and he might not be capable of playing week in week out, but he’s world class and much as I love Mo Diarra Cambiasso is too good to overlook.

Ajax 3 – 0 NEC

We continue our good form into the new year, another three points and Cvitanich proving his worth yet again. All we can do is keep winning, but after the winter break we face all three of our main challengers and biggest rivals, not to mention a Dutch Cup quarter Final against AZ. It really is make or break time!

Ajax 1 – 0 AZ

Our first game against AZ comes in the league and we get nab a win with a long range Suarez effort. All the media attention surrounded Aquilani and Cambiasso’s debuts, both did well and both made a real difference defensively as AZ didn’t look like breaking us down. One down and two to go, a great start to a difficult run of games.

Vitesse 0 – 1 Ajax

Villalva saves our bacon with a goal in the 85th minute. Vitesse frustrated us and defended in numbers, but we should have been better going forward and 1-0 isn’t really good enough. It’s ncie to see Villalva get on the score sheet though, I still hope that he can make it at Ajax, but some Spanish clubs are rumoured to be ready to offer what I paid and I’m tempted to cash in before it’s too late.

Ajax 2 – 0 AZ

Super, smashing, nice, another cracking performance against one of the most difficult opposition in the league takes us through to the semis of the cup and still in with a fantastic chance of a domestic double. Sneijder continues to impress and is fast becoming an iconic member of the squad, I expect him to surpass his brother’s ability, but that probably means that he will follow his brother’s footsteps and if he does he’ll be a massive loss.

The Season So far

A brilliant month, the winter break seems to have done us the world of good and we come away with a semi final place in the cup, nine points in the league, seven goals scored and none conceded. You couldn’t ask for much better especially going into a make or break month.

In other news, I had a look at players with Alfredo Dick listed as favoured personnel and have a massive list of Ajax players who love me :cool: Also, strangely enough, have Montenegran left back Ivan Fatic who adores me! Never heard of him, he looks quite good though and might look into bringing him to his favourite manager's club.

February 2014

Oops. I forgot to mention one transfer deal in January (it didn’t show up on my transfer screeny). After only half a season at the club Ali Laborde has moved on, the teenage right back performed wonders, but that attracted unwanted attention and when Villa came in with a £13.75m bid :eek: I couldn’t say no. It was twice what we paid and he spends the next 6 months on loan at Villa park before making the move permanent. Ogararu will step in, with youth team prospect Jan Schouten acting as backup.

Ajax 4 – 1 De Graafschap

A really good result against a team that tried to stifle our attack, Suarez maintained his magnificent goal scoring form and walked away with the match ball. He was helped by a solid team performance, Sneijder and Yago in particular looked very dangerous on the wings and Busquets enjoyed the freedom that Cambiasso’s work rate provided. One problem though, Ogararu’s injury in the 8th minute means youngster Schouten is going to be dumped in at the deep end.

FC Utrecht 2 – 2 Ajax

A horro display in defence saw us give away a two goal lead and miss out on two valuable points. Busquets was amongst the goals, yet again and Yago’s penalty meant that we went in at half time confident of the win, but a lack of concentration from Angel and a poor show from Alderweireld gave Utrecht the chance to claw it back and dampens the mood as we get ready for the trip to Eindhoven.

PSV 2 – 3 Ajax

Yes! In the words of that lanky gimp from The Apprentice, “that’s wot am talking abarrrrt”. Despite an understandably nervous performance from Schouten we managed to win and steal a lea don our title rivals. It was a really good performance, but Milevskyi gave us a good run for our money, I dread to think how good we could have been had I managed to sign him way back when. It was squeaky bum time towards the end as they hammered at the door, but we managed to hold on and claim the advantage.

Ajax 3 – 0 Feyenoord

We have one hand on the title, we’ve dispatched all three of our rivals and our remaining fixtures are all games we should be claiming three points from, it’s ours to lose. Feyenoord weren’t bad, we were very good and we’re on course for one of our most impressive seasons yet. I’m absolutely delighted, but I’m not counting my chickens just yet, remember our capitulation this time last year!

Ajax 4 – 0 RBC

Mmmm goals, goals, goals. We’re scoring more regularly now than we were earlier in the season and the performances have improved as well, it’s a real shame that we weren’t playing like this when we were in Europe because I feel that we have the quality to match anyone and have finally got over our season and a bit blip.

The Season So Far

You want to know what I love about this season and why I think we’ve improved so much? Strength in depth. This time last year if someone got injured or lost form I struggled to fill the void, now I have quality backup and squad rotation that benefits the whole team and limits the chances of complacency. Andrade, Alderweireld, Camilleri and Agbossoumonde are all quality defenders, Barazite, Sneijder, Yago and Sarpong are all more than capable, I have four strikers that can turn a game (even if one of them hasn’t found form) and in midfield I have six players that would walk into most teams on the continent (Diarra, Maduro, Ekdal, Busquets, Aquilani and Cambiasso), not to mention Stekelenberg and Angel who are performing wonders. We’re starting to look like contenders, not just a team that will give you a game, a team that everyone should be worried about and but for the worst injury crisis of all time I can field a world class team week in, week out. Lovely stuff.

You sound really really pleased with your team. As well you might be!

Of course I realise you're a season or so ahead of where these updates are at, but I bet you were feeling pretty excited at this point. League title seems more or less locked on. Shame you can't post updates of the league table.

March 2014

NEC 1 – 2 Ajax

PSV have slipped away of late and we enter March with five league games and fifteen points available that would guarantee us the title. Starting off with a decent win is the best way to go about it and despite putting up some solid resistance NEC eventually gave in to our superior goal threat, which is actually just Suarez, however, injury would see him warming the physios couch for the next two games and Cvitanich and Villalva will need to guide us home.

Ajax 6 – 0 NAC Breda

Suarez out and you still manage to score six! No wonder I was harping on about strength in depth. Sneijder was on fire, two goals to his name and three assists, but Cvitanich and Villalva did fantastically well up front. I moved Villalva into the more creative Suarez role and he seemed to flourish, there are still clubs sniffing round him and I won’t pretend I’m not tempted, but hopefully this was a sign of how good he can be.

FC Twente 2 – 3 Ajax

This looked like it was going to be our second loss of the season, two down after only 24 minutes and struggling to cope with a rampant Twente side, thankfully Yago was on hand to save our bacon. The winger took the Twente defence to task and provided us with the creativity we needed as Suarez was still out and Sneijder having an off day. Rizzo was the hero this time, Villalva unable to keep his form going for more than one match at a time :rolleyes:

Ajax 2 – 1 Roda JC

We made life difficult for ourselves, conceding a late equaliser and breathing a sigh of relief when Yago nabbed a late winner. Suarez returned, but took time to get involved and wasn’t as influential as usual. Roda are a team we should be beating, but you can’t score 6 or even 3 every week and sometimes you have to scrape by with results, as long as you scrape by then you shouldn’t worry, especially when the result takes you to within three points of the title.

Ajax 1 – 2 Feyenoord

Buggeration! I was all set for a domestic double, looking forward to claiming both trophies in one season and perhaps finally winning the Manager of The Year award, for which I have so far been shunned :mad: Against ten men we struggled to convert and Feyenoord created two chances that their Brazilian forward, Marcelinho, converted with ease. The Dutch Cup was second on the priorities list, but it would have been nice to win it and I just hope that the result, against a rival, doesn’t dent morale.

Heerenveen 1 – 4 Ajax

Way back when I started my original GHC challenge I played as Feyenoord and had a long running battle with Heerenveen manager Trond Sollied. He would try and buy my players, mouth off about me in the papers and generally be a bit of a git. How sad is it that reclaiming the title against his old side (he’s no longer the manager) makes me smile?

The Season So Far

What a way to claim the title! Four games to go and the trophy is coming back to Amsterdam, where it belongs. I should never have worried about a dip in morale after the Feyenoord result, the performance was one of our best so far and confidence seemed to flow through the team. Winning it early means that I can give the backup a run out in the final few games and most importantly; give Andrade a chance to say farewell to the fans. The veteran centre back, my first signing for the club and a loyal servant has confirmed his retirement at the end of the season, he’ll be joining me on the bench as my number two.

April/May 2014

Ajax 2 – 3 Willem II

For a second string side Willem II struggled to break us down and only managed a winner towards the end of the game. The entire first team was changed, but for left back, an area I don’t have cover for and the likes of Sarpong and Barazite were given a run out. Agbossoumonde, who impresse din his debut season, but lost out to Camillieri this time round, played well and is making a claim for Alderweireld’s place.

Ajax 1 – 3 Groningen

Rizzo and Villalva struggled up front, but even the reserves are already on holiday. Groningen did well and took their chances, but it was an abject performance from my lads, which is surprising as a number of the backup player shave been attracting attention from other clubs and I would have thought that they would be eager to show off their talents and try and get some first team action elsewhere.

Ajax 1 – 0 Sparta

Saparta might well be in the relegation places, but it’s still quite a feat for reserves to manage a win against an Eredivisie team. Rizzo played really well, he’ll be heading back to Milan soon and I expect that he’ll be staying with them next season as they have bumped his squad status up to rotation rather than prospect. Otherwise it was a decent, solid performance, though the likes of Villalva are still struggling and not taking their chances.

FC Den Bosch 3 – 1 Ajax

Another good performance from Rizzo, he gets our only goal, whilst Alberg shows Villalva how to do it. The loss means we end the season with four games lost, three of which came in the final four games and with a reserve team fielded. Not a bad record for a team who struggled so badly last time out.

Season Summary

I’m absolutely delighted to have reclaimed the title, it might only be the Eeredivisie, but Feyenoord and PSV have improved drastically and to evolve with the times and bounce back from a disaster season ranks up there as one of my best FM achievements. Suarez was instrumental and finished the season as top scorer in Europe and golden boot winner, but other players should be recognised as well. Mo Diarra was the catalyst for our form in the second ahlf of the season and Stekelenberg lead the team expertly, Cvitanich always delivered and Sneijder continued to impress.

We came so close to a domestic double, but fell at the final hurdle, nothing to be ashamed of, which is more than can be said of our European journey. No doubt changes will be made in the summer, hopefully not too big, because I’m happy with my squad, though I am conscious that our impressive form has attracted unwanted attention and over 75% of my first team are being monitored by clubs in England, Italy or Spain.

One last thing; regardless of success and GH Challenge I’ve decided that next season will be my last with Ajax. I’m listed as an Icon atm and I love the club and players, but I’m growing increasingly frustrated by my inability to attract players to the club and feel that the time is right to move on and test my ability elsewhere. We’ll find out where in 12 months time and hopefully I can leave on a high note and actually make a go of it in Europe.

Final League Table

Champions League Summary

Three titles in four years is good going. Holland is a league where a number of teams are capable of winning it so to be so dominant is impressive.

It must be annoying when your game is so far ahead of your updates because here we are congratulating you and yet this is all ancient history really. Andrade should be long gone in your game by now, for example.

Cheers Fab :thup:

It's four in five, Mike :( Shows how much attention you've been paying!

It is quite frustrating, that's why i've put the save on hold and started a new one in Mehico. Andrade comes in as my number two at the start of next season and Blind moves to U19 manager, but Jorge ends up going it alone at the end of the season when I move on. However, not to give anything away, we are reuinted four years later.

I genuinely made the decision to move on before I even started season six, no hints as to how it went, so you're not really finding anything out. I just wasn't enjoying life with Ajax anymore, I was becoming stale and constantly touted as the new manager at a variety of quite tempting clubs, in season 5 I turned down Ateltico, Villa and Getafe. The nail in the coffin was that I had been temtped and if I was really in it for the long haul with Ajax then I wouldn't have looked twice at another club.

Anyways, there's plenty of twists and turns to come, not just in season 6.

*I'm eager to crack on and catch up, apologies if it's moving too fast.*

August 2014

Massive, massive changes at the club as countless players are either moved in or out, lets start with the out, which produced a small fortune for the club. Ali Laborde completed his move to Villa, he only spent 6 months at the club, but we doubled our money on him. Hedwiges Maduro, now sixth choice for a midfield slot moved to Shakhtar and first team football for £3.7m, I’m sad to see him go because I really liked him, but he deserves to be playing more regular football. Camillieri moves to Valencia for £7.75m, I begrudge letting my best players go, but big clubs were interested and I had no hope of keeping him and no desire to keep a player whose heart lay elsewhere. The same goes for Jose Angel, he’s a world class left back and I would have loved to hold onto him, but I had to cut my losses and accept the £6m bid from Atletico Madrid. Daniel Villalva was the last to leave, probably my biggest mistake so far, but we actually make a profit on him, gaining £1m as he moves to Zaragoza for £13.75m.

I had a big job on my hands replacing some of those players, but I had decent money to work with and spent it on youth. David Tully, the Celtic right back comes in to replace the now retired Ogararu (who joins Andrade in my backroom staff) and will walk in to the first team for only £4m. Joining him in defence is Marco Miguel a young French centre half from Bordeaux who joins on a season long loan for a fee of £1.2m. Further cover included Gabriel Obertan who would challenge Sneijder for the right wing and set me back a paltry £4m and young Dutch attacked Luc Castaignos who arrived from Valencia for £2.2m.

I had plenty of money left to work with when trying to replace Angel and Villalva and set about breaking the club’s transfer record on Brazilian striker Marquinhos, £16.25m is crazy money for a team like us, but it’s my last throw of the dice in the pursuit of a goal a game striker. Claudio Sanchez, a Chilean left back who used to play for AZ, arrives from Benfica for £8.5m and is sure to do just as good a job as his Spanish predecessor.

One final piece of business, done on deadline day and no doubt it will raise a few eyebrows. Left back was the only position that I didn’t have cover for, so I brought in veteran English win back Paul Konchesky for £275k. He’s happy to sit on the bench and despite his age he’s more than capable of filling in for Sanchez.

So, that’s us, wholesale changes and ready to get stuck into my final season in charge.

02.08.14 & 10.08.14

Ajax 2 – 0 De Graafschap & Ajax 1 – 0 FC Den Bosch

My first two games lack screenshots, sorry. A good start to the season, you can’t expect it to be emphatic all the time and a win is always most important when you’re trying out a new squad and waiting for new players to get used to your style of play.

Vitesse 1 – 2 Ajax

This was probably the game that made up my mind to go looking for Marquinhos, Cvitanich’s poor display and our struggle for goals got me worried and perhaps I was a little bit gung ho, but ah well, what’s done is done. Tully and Sanchez seem to be settling in well on either side of defence and Agbossoumonde is starting to recapture the form that impressed me so much when he first joined the club.

Ajax 4 – 1 FC Dordrecht

Dordrecht are a teeny weeny team that bounced up to the top tier and look set to enjoy their limited time in the Eredivisie, but we were far, far too strong for them. An excellent debut from Marquinhos, hopefully a sign of things to come and Sneijder looks to have picked up from where he left off last season. Meanwhile, the defence are playing well, look solid and seem to be forming an understanding already.

Hertha Berlin 2 – 0 Ajax

I know it was away from home and I know that German teams are always difficult opposition, but we shouldn’t be losing to teams like Hertha. This is a horrific start to our European campaign and I have everything crossed that it isn’t a sign of things to come from a group that also includes Man United and Palermo. The defence were woeful; it says it all when Konchesky comes out of the game looking like best of the bunch.

Sparta 2 – 3 Ajax

The home side game us a fright with two goals deep in injury time, but we always looked like worthy winners and only stumbled when we lost Tully to a second bookable offence just after half time. Marqhuinhos got another goal to his name, it’s looking promising, but then again wellington looked promising and then fell to pieces. Obertan looks pretty tasty, he might well give Yago and Sneijder a run for their money, which can only be a good thing as hopefully competition will inspire form.

UDI 3 – 3 Ajax

This was very nearly the most embarrassing result of my career, in the Dutch cup against lower league opposition. We were two down and didn’t equalise until the last ten minutes, even then UDI were still causing us problems and took the lead again in extra time, when I had to throw on the big guns and then rely on a penalty shoot out to scrape through to the next round.

Ajax 4 – 0 Roda JC

I’m not getting my hopes up, promise, but Marquinhos looks like the real deal! Five goals in his first four games, this guy could be the missing link, the piece of the puzzle that really makes the difference. He could be my Milevskyi! Overall it was a good performance from the team and we eased to victory, but would Cvitanich have been as clinical and would we have won as convincingly had I kept my chequebook in my pocket?

Ajax 2 – 2 Man Utd

This looks like a good result, but it’s three points thrown away. We had a two goal lead, but lacklustre defending cost us (look who top rated again!), Koncehsky’s red card came late in the game, but it was up front that let us down. We bombarded their goal and ripped them apart, but Marquinhos, who only three days earlier had reminded me of a young Ronaldo, struggled to get involved and struggled even more when he did get involved.

The Season So Far

A 100% record in the league isn’t to be sniffed at and we’re playing really well. The new signings are settling in and seem to be suited to our style of play, but we remain in second due to games played and I continue to worry about our Champions League future after two inadequate performances. That said, there’s time for continental form to improve and time for Marquinhos to get used to the bigger games and I’m feeling confident that good times are ahead.

League Table

October 2014

Excelsior 0 – 1 Ajax

A poor performance from Yago and a lacklustre showing from Marquinhos didn’t help and we limped home to a one goal win against very beatable Excelsior. The rest of the team continued to work well together, Agbossoumonde has filled in the gap left by Camillieri with ease and youth product, Willem Buys, has grabbed his chance and pushed Alderweireld out of the first team. Suarez continues to keep us ticking over and nabbed the goal that won it.

FC Twente 2 – 3 Ajax

With Yago’s form dipping I brought Gabriel Obertan in on the right and moved Sneijder to the left, the Frenchman was doing well until he pulled up with a straim just after half time. Otherwise, the defence played well and only conceded due to Dinei’s long shots ability. Suarez bagged another two goals, but Marquinhos “enjoyed” yet another game without a goal. Have you ever had déjà vu?

Palermo 0 – 0 Ajax

An error on my part means that Sanchez wasn’t registered for the Champions League, which means I’m having to play loanee Miguel on the right and first choice right back Tully on the left. We’re coping with it, but it would be a whole lot easier if we had a left footer on the left. Injuries to Agbossoumonde and Cambiasso didn’t help, but it was up front that let us down, a really horrific display from Marquinhios had me wondering what happened to the player who started so brightly.

Ajax 3 – 0 FC Groningen

Bouncing back from midweek disappointment to a comfortable win in the league is always nice, but it’s less comfortable when you accept the fact that Sneijder and Suarez are dragging your side, kicking and screaming, to victory most of the time. I honestly don’t know what state we would be in if it wasn’t for our two most influential players and both are players I inherited, whilst my signings continue to flatter to deceive.

Ajax 3 – 0 VVV

You wait for a bus and then…blahdyblahdyblah. Marquinhos of old returns and gets on the scoresheet before being replaced by Cvitanich, who also gets on the score sheet, you won’t be surprised to hear that having all three strikers, especially the two less consistent strikers, bag a goal brought a real smile to my face. Yago seems to have recaptured some form over the last few games, but rumour has it that Barcelona are interested and his morale reads as a rather disappointing “good”, January’s not too far away and I might have a fight on my hands.

The Season So Far

We continued our cracking start to the season, a 100% record after nine games is more than I could have hoped for, though we are yet to face any of our challengers and have had a pretty easy ride of it. That said, we have the best defensive record and the best offensive record in the league, so we must be doing something right.

The same can’t be said of the Champions League, where we continue to falter and find ourselves bottom of the group with two points from a possible nine. If we are to stand any chance of progressing, or even making the Europa League, we are going to have to get something out of the games against Hertha (whop thumped us) and Palermo (who stifled us).

Current League Table

November 2014

NEC 0 – 2 Ajax

A workmanlike performance, but championship seasons are often built on workmanlike performances and it’s the teams that manage to get three points despite a lacklustre performance that walk away with the trophy. It took over an hour to register and Sarpong was the man that got it, substitute Cvitanich got our second and made it look a whole lot more convincing than it actually was. Aquilani got a rare start and did well, but Busquets and Ekdal appear to have regained their central midfield form and will more than likely hold on to their positions.

Ajax 1 – 1 Palermo

Bugger, bugger, bugger. This result left us needing points against the two toughest teams in the group, a 91st minute equaliser undoing all our hard work and Agbossoumonde turning in a woefully poor performance when we needed him to be strong. It appears I was talking crap about Sanchez not being registered, perhaps he was injured (the pitfalls of playing so far ahead). Either way, we should have won, but now we’re up against it and staring at another disappointing European season.

Ajax 2 – 1 NAC Breda

Agbossoumonde made up for his Palermo horror show and headed home what would turn out to be the winner. Marquinhos played well in the creative striker role that is usually filled by Suarez, but the Uruguayan was trying his hand at right wing in this game, he would also pick up an injury that could ruin our excellent start as it means he misses the PSV game and our first real test of the season.

Ajax 0 – 0 PSV

Thank heavens for mahoosive-Stekelenberg miracles! Not for the first time since I took charge the big goalkeeper saved our bacon and kept us in the game. A lack of creativity up front and certain high profile stars not performing meant that we spent most of the game on the backfoot, but PSV’s striekrs were equally wayward and Stekelenberg was in inspired form as we dropped our first league points of the season and held on for a draw.

Willem II 0 – 0 Ajax

I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come; we follow up a poor performance against PSV with a really poor performance against Willem II. We lacked imagination and once again the players that mattered didn’t turn up, Suarez returned to the starting line up, but failed to impress. Until now Buys has been exceptional, in his debut season, but today he struggled and has me thinking twice about his involvement in an incredibly important game against Hertha next week.

Ajax 1 – 0 Heerenveen

Not great, but it’s not a draw and it certainly isn’t a loss, we can’t be too picky and three points on the back of two really disappointing performances is a nice change. Suarez produced another abject performance; he was in fine form before taking that knock against NAC Breda and he’s really struggled in the past two games, hopefully the dip in form won’t last because we need him at his best if we are to progress in the Champions League.

Ajax 4 – 0 Hertha Berlin

When I was 8 or 9 I went to a fair and tried my hand at hoopla (throwing the rings around a cone), I got really into it and when I won I shouted out “hoopla!”, to this day it is the single most cringeworthy moment of my life, but the phrase has become synonymous with moments that I’m very excited about and it goes my way. This game was a true “hoopla” moment, Marquinhos and Suarez were on fire and ripped the Berlin defence apart, we’re in with a chance, but we have to get a positive result against United and that’s no easy task.

AZ 1 – 0 Ajax

Feckity feck! After blowing one of the top teams in Germany apart we struggle against fourth placed AZ and end up losing our first domestic game of the season, dropping our seventh point in twelve in doing so. Marquinhos and Sneijder were particularly poor, perhaps it was fatigue after their midweek exploits, but nevertheless we shouldn’t be dropping points as frequently as we currently seem to be.

The Season So Far

Despite our poor form we remain top and look pretty comfortable, one point ahead and a game in hand, however, one point doesn’t last too long if poor form continues and we have to pull our finger out as we edge towards mid season. In Europe we turned a corner with the win against Hertha Berlin, we’re in with a chance of progressing, but we have to do something against Untied, though they have nothing to play for as they have already qualified and that is bound to be to our advantage.

It’s worth noting my player of the month, I don’t normally do this, but I’m making an exception for a player that I expected to warm the bench at best and grind out performances at worst, Paul Konchesky. The veteran left back has been a model professional, happy to relinquish his place to Sanchez and totally reliable when I need him to step back in. I wasn’t sure about signing him, but I’m glad I did and he’s quickly edging towards a place on my favoured personnel list with Mo Diarra and Jorge Andrade.

Current League Table

I am....seriously worried in fact. Feyenoord have Walter and Marcelinho, both nothing up roughly a goal a game, Milevskyi continues to smash them in and PSV have some other Brazilian who is scoring plenty of goals, we have Suarez....

It's an ongoing problem though, every season I try to bring in a striker who will match the likes of Milevskyi and it never works out :(

Archived