[FM10] Der's More to Amsterdam Dan Dis....

Elrithral

I could do with a bit of what you've got!

Best of luck in the Europa League. I think you'll find it a tougher competition than you realise. I actually think it can be harder than the Champions League. If you're a big club in the Champions League, chances are you'll go far. In the Europa League, it's a more level playing field so you're less likely to come up against easily beatable opposition.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Mike, I know what happens and you're spot on. AB, the loss agaisnt Feyenoord was really frustrating, but like you say, we're still clear and that's more important than rivalry.*

January 2011

Three major moves were made during the Janaury transfer window, one out and two in. After only six months the initially promising Mr Beckham was shipped off to Italy for a loan spell with Lazio. The reason? Well, number one, he had lost his place to Ljajic who was outperforming him and had the pace that was needed on the wing and number two, the two signings were both right wigners.

First up was David Bently, signed from Barcelona for £8.25m, this was a disappointing signing if you were Ljajic as the fee and Bentley’s ability meant that he would command a first team place, but even worse for Ljajic was the return of Aissati. The left winger had left a year earlier to Real Madrid, but had failed to settle, so, for a fee of £700k, I brought him back to the Amsterdam Arena for a six month loan. He had been retrained as a right winger before he moved to Madrid so he would act as backup to Bentley, and Ljajic would act as cover for the creative central midfield role.

RKC 0 – 8 Ajax

RKC had had a torrid time of it so far, only two wins all season and here we were scoring as many goals as they had points! Suarez and Cvitanich were on fire, they are forming a really solid partnership and I’m already considering moving Pantelic on, at the end of the season and promoting Rondon to the bench.

Ajax 3 – 0 Willem II

Another excellent performance from the lads and in particular Cvitanich and Bentley. I’m hoping that Bentley will make the difference on the right wing, it was the final position that I wanted to fill, I’m pretty happy with all other areas of the pitch.

*I’m not going to bother with a monthly review as there were only two games.*

*HunterKiller, many thanks, glad you're enjoying it and glad my enjoyment is showing through. The challenge makes it all the more enjoyable as I have a clear target to aim for, even though it seems unachieveable atm. We'll get there....I hope!*

February 2011

Ajax 0 – 0 ADO Den Haag

Having scored eleven goals in our previous two games you would expect the strike force to be on fire, confidence high and out to add to their tally, unfortunately not. What I got was a strike force who expected to score goals without working for it and the result was chances wasted and a number of offside calls. A point against a mid table team isn’t good enough, especially with AZ up next.

AZ 0 – 3 Ajax

Three goals and Bentley was involved in all of them. He scored two and set up the third, a perfectly weighted corner for Andrade to head home, his ability to pop up with important goals and his potential for assists was what made up my mind when I was thinking about bringing him in. He’s settling in nicely, and his performance in this match meant that we extended our lead on AZ to seven points.

Ajax 2 – 0 Olympiakos

The draw for the First Knockout Round had handed us a very winnable tie against Olympiakos, I was confident that we would claim the win, and we did, though I would have been happier, with a view to our trip to Greece, had we won by a larger margin. Ogararu got a rare goal, the right back is one of the unsung heroes of my defensive four and I thought I better mention his excellent work at the back and down the right flank.

VVV 1 – 3 Ajax

An equaliser from Andrade (yet another Bentley assist) and a double from Suarez were enough to see off VVV. Suarez had a blinder of a game, creating chances and taking both of his with the composure of a striker in top form, unfortunately such form and our team form means that he is attracting the attentions of Manchester United and Barcelona, it will be really difficult to snub their bids and keep him happy.

Olympiakos 1 – 0 Ajax

This was actually quite nerve racking and taught me a lesson for being over-confident. An injury to Ekdal in the 9th minute meant that we would be playing a majority of the game without our creative spark in midfield, Sneijder tried to fill the gap, but he’s still not ready for this level of football and never managed to stamp his authority on the centre of the park. Olympiakos got their goal on 53 and a lack of chances for my team meant that I spent the next 37 minutes on the edge of my seat praying that Olympiakos wouldn’t have enough about them to finish the job. Lucky for me they didn’t and we progressed to the Second Knockout Stage.

Ajax 1 – 0 Vitesse

The injury to Ekdal means that we will be relying on our wingers more than ever. His replacement is Maduro, is more than capable, but is more defensive than creative and playing alongside Diarra makes for a very defensive midfield that looks to control rather than create. Thank heavens for Alderweireld’s early goal, as chances were few and far between.

The Season So Far

We continue to lead the line in the league, building a comfortable lead on our challengers and playing an excellent standard of football. The loss of Ekdal is a biggy, it looks like he’ll be out until the end of the season, but I’m confident that our backup rae good enough to fill in. However, the loss of form of Cvitanich is more worrying than any injury, until now he has been in fantastic form, but a full month and 540 minutes without a goal is worrying as we can’t afford a goal drought at this stage of the season.

In Europe I got my eyes opened a little i.e. Mike7077 was right. Olympiakos were a lot better than I expected and could have embarrassed us, but we struggled through and earnt a second round tie against CSKA Moscow, which would provide a really tough test.

I reckon you have a good eye for signings. Seems like they all work out.

Expect a real challenge against CSKA Moscow. They're a decent side. If you avoid defeat away you'll have a great chance.

Where was Pantelic during your last run of games?

I've been lucky with signings, so far, but then again a majority of them have been big signings, they just didn't cost much because they were out of favour at their clubs, so they're bound to do well in a low rep league. I suppose Beckham didn't really work out, but that was more to do with Ljajic playing well and then Bentley coming in, but it was a waste of £40k pw.

Pantelic's form was awful, he seemed to go through blips of fine form and awful form, whereas (until now) Cvitanich was more consistent. I'll be looking to get rid of Pantleic in the summer.

March 2011

FC Groningen 0 – 2 Ajax

Hardly a stunning game, but a win’s a win and another three points gained is another three points closer to a consecutive title win. Overall it was a pretty sturdy performance, most of my players did quite well, even up front, neither striker scoring, but both involved in the build up to Ogararu’s opener.

Ajax 1 – 0 NAC Breda

The win and the three points were thanks to Stekelenberg, my steadfast number one pulling off a number of fantastic saves to keep NAC Breda out and have us hold on to the slender advantage that Suarez had given us. It was a strange match because we actually played quite well, we just struggled to hold onto the ball and even though breda were limited to long shots, they got those shots on target.

CSKA Moscow 1 – 1 Ajax

This might look like a decent result against a pretty strong side, but it’s actually one of my most disappointing results so far. Maduro gave us the lead from the spot, on 59 Emmanuelson pulled up with an injury and Bruno Silva replaced him. With a 1-0 lead and ten minutes to play I decided to replace my wingers, all three subs used, it’s sods law that saw Bruno Silva carried off on 87 with a torn calf. Two minutes later CSKA played a long free kick into the box and Ignashevich, who would have been marked by Silva, was free to head in the equaliser.

Roda JC 1 – 2 Ajax

Fixture congestion was a serious problem, a number of players were playing games with condition in the 80’s and it was showing in our performances. Nevermind the rather lengthy injury list that included Emmanuelson, Diarra, Burdisso and Ekdal. That said, it was was Burdisso’s replacement who got the second goal, ultimately the winning goal.

Ajax 2 – 1 CSKA Moscow

An absolutely cracking result, all things considered. Aissati got his first goal since returning to the club, but a mistake in defence saw Alves equalise. A red card for Jorgensen gave us the advantage and it was Burdisso, returning from injury and playing out of position, as left wing back, who delivered the cross from which Suarez would score a sublime bicycle kick and give us the win. A great result, but two further injuries, Ljajic and Suarez joining the injury list, it would be a struggle to see either of them fit for the visit of Aston Villa in the Quarter Finals.

Ajax 3 – 0 Heracles

We had lost Suarez and just in time Cvitanich rediscovered his goalscoring form. I intend to use him as my lead striker next season, alongside Suarez, which means that Pantelic will be sold in the summer. This win meant that we needed just three points from our remaining four games to hold onto the title for another year.

The Season So Far

Bar a blip in form to end all blips in form, coupled with a winning run from AZ, the title is ours. A win against Steve McLaren’s FC Twente will hand us the title for the second year in a row, you wait five years for one to come along and then two come at once :)

Aston Villa will pose a stern test in the Quarter Finals of the Uefa Cup, but I think we are their equal. We also have the advantage of a week off between games, if we beat Twente, as I’ll be able to give the lads instructions to take it easy in the league and focus on European progression.

April/May 2011

Ajax 2 – 0 FC Twente

There we have it, a second consecutive title, a fantastic achievement and the perfect preparation for the Villa game. Cvitanich and de Zeeuwgot the goals that sealed it and with three league games to go we can relax and focus on the Uefa Cup, a double would be quite the achievement, considering our torrid start to the season.

Ajax 0 – 2 Aston Villa

Our first home loss in four months, a terrible time to lose that form and slump to defeat. Aston Villa weren’t even that good, we were that bad. Burdisso’s mistake and a lack of energy from my attackers combined to give Villa an easy win and pretty much guarantee our exit from the tournament. Petrov’s goals were sloppy and even a red card for the midfielder didn’t seem to make a difference in a very, very average performance.

FC Utrecht 4 – 2 Ajax

Yet another red card for Diarra, is that his third this season? We need to nip that in the bud next season, he’s missed 7 game due to suspension this season. I’m not overly bothered by the result, I told them to relax and take it easy, they were playing for fitness and I didn’t want them to over exert themselves, I need a full strength starting eleven if we are to have any chance of overturning Villa’s lead.

Aston Villa 1 – 1 Ajax

Too little, too late, a really good performance from the lads as they tried their best to make up for the home leg, let alone qualify. Unfortunately the only player who didn’t turn up was our most influential, Suarez missed a number of opportunities and still seems to be lacking in fitness. Another season with no European glory, I need to make up my mind now whether or not we focus on the CL next season, if we do, we need to spend big.

Heerenveen 2 – 1 Ajax

A number of reserves got a run out, but nobody other than Sarpong gave me food for thought, and that was to be expected. Suarez had another poor game, he was already on his holidays, but Stekelenberg and Alderweireld continue to perform wonders at the back, I just hope that I can hold onto them.

Feyenoord 1 – 1 Ajax

I fielded a full strength team against our rivals, we may not have anything left to play for, but that doesn’t mean that we should ignore our supporter’s pride. Having lost to Feyenoord at home I was eager to make up for it and give them a good pasting, no such luck as Cisse’s strike had us on the back foot for the majority of the match and we had to rely on a Cvitanich equaliser to save face.

The Season End

It says a lot about how far we have come that I can be disappointed with our season. Champions of Holland, the quarter finals of the Uefa Cup and a decent showing a in a very tough Champions League group, most manager’s would be delighted with that, but not me.

Considering the investments and improvements I have made I expected a whole lot more, but we’ve went backwards. Last season we won the title and managed a Semi Final appearance in Europe, this year we won the title at a canter, but could only manage a Quarter Final appearance in a European competition that I thought we could win. It’s difficult to know where we went wrong and it’s difficult to know which areas I need to improve because I’m pretty happy with my first team and any change will see a player I’ve grown attached to dropped. However, European glory is the aim and if I need to be ruthless then I’ll have to be ruthless, because we’re going for the Champions League next season and I aim to win it…….madness, I know.

The Dutch Cup remains third on the list, but I do expect better, the challenge stipulates treble success before I can move on, so I can’t afford to take my eyes off any of the three prizes.

FINAL LEAGUE TABLE 10/11

UEFA CUP

Nice work on another Eredivisie title but tough luck there in Europa League..8th place for PSV. :(

In the years I've managed in the Eredivisie (with Ajax and PSV), I never went past the QF of both European competitions. Aiming to win the CL really is madness! Good luck! :D

I know what you chaps mean, it's looking impossible (without ruining anything i'm in season four and still on the hunt for European silverware) :( I would happily go out and spend vast wads of money on a new first team, a superstar first team who would be able to do something in Europe, but i've grown attached to my current set of players and can't even contemplate letting them go. That's always been my problem in FM, I get too involved and end up paying the price.

Looks like i'll have to keep plugging away and start accepting decent offers for some of the players I could replace, at least that way I can tell myself that they wanted to leave.....

July/August 2011

Let’s start by looking at transfers in, only because I want to talk about the biggest coup of the summer and a move that had the Ajax fans drooling in anticipation of the new season. Barcelona defensive midfielder Sergio Busquets arrives for £6.75m! A hell of a price to claim one of Europe’s most promising, young central midfielders, his arrival may spell the demise of Diarra, but his defensive ability, coupled with his creative edge is too good to ignore. I hope that he will form a stellar partnership with my other midfield signing who cost a massive £10m, Albin Ekdal arrives after two years on loan. It’s an awful lot of money and not a fee I ever expected to pay out, but he has been that good and already lists Ajax as one of his favourite clubs.

Having spent a heft wadge of my transfer budget and being a tight fisted sod, I decided to scrimp on the final few signings; five players for £500k and three of them were free. Mariusz Lewandowski arrives as cover for central defence, Mario Melchiot returns to Holland as cover for Ogararu and 18 year old American, Tony Curtis arrived with a view to being Ogararu’s successor. The two players who commanded fees were Suad Filekovic from Burnley for £200k, the wing back would provide cover for Emmanuelson and Brazilian striker Jo from Manchester City, on loan, for £300k. Three of the five signings were 32+ and only there to cover injuries, but Curtis would get a handful of games and Jo would push Cvitanich for a first team place, I had considered promoting Rondon, but don’t think he’s ready yet. Jo was actually my second choice, I had tried to sign Milevskyi on a free transfer, but I didn’t have enough wage budget left and before I could free some up he agreed terms with PSV.

Players on their way out included Manucharyan, Mitchell and Beckham, who left on a free and provided me with almost £80k worth of wage space, just not in time to bag Milevskyi. Young striker Castillion moved to Haarlem to get a full seasons experience and see if he has what it takes and a number of benchwarmers made way for youth prospects, promoted from the reserves and U18’s team. First up and biggest name was Demy de Zeeuw who moved to Liverpool for £3.2m, he had no chance of displacing Busquets, Diarra or Maduro and there was no point in wasting £25kpw+ on a reserve. Enoh Eyong was in the same boat, fifth choice in central midfield and happy to accept a paycut in order to join America (Mex) in a £1.6m deal. Backup wingbacks Atouba and Bruno Silva joined Everton and Sporting for £850k and £1.2m respectively, they were both good, but too good to sit on the bench and it’s better to move them on than watch them drag down morale. Finally Rob Wielaert joined Werder Bremen for £350k.

Overall, there isn’t going to be any major difference in the starting eleven other than Busquets, but the bench and reserve team will look a whole lot different. I plan to give youth prospects such as Sneijder and Rondon the odd game, they aren’t ready yet, but they need to be ready next year because I can’t afford to keep wasting millions on season long loans.

Ajax 3- 2 PSV

What a game! Cvitanich was on fire, two goals within the first half hour and it looked like we had our hands on the Super Cup once again, but a goal just before the break and an equaliser 8 minutes from time, scored by the striker who had slipped through my fingers, game PSV hope. However, with Jo’s deal not yet complete I decided to throw Rondon in at the deep end, five minutes into added on time and the youngster got the winner and had me jumping out of my seat.

Ajax 2 – 0 NAC Breda

Another brace from Cvitanich gave us an easy win against NAC Breda. Overall it was a strong and consistent performance from the team, everyone seems to be settling in nicely and morale is excellent. Jo made his debut, but didn’t really have enough time to make an impact; he has played roughly 13 games in the last two seasons, so it’s bound to take time for him to adjust and get used to playing again.

Ajax 3 – 0 PSV

The first of three must win games and what a performance as the lads lived up to expectations and destroyed PSV. We were solid defensively and potent up front, but the midfield was where it was at! Bentley, Ekdal and Busquets showing how good they can be and hopefully giving the fans a taste of the season to come.

Feyenoord 0 – 2 Ajax

Two wins from the three games that we have to win, with AZ up next, we are already showing signs of being the team to beat in the league. Our performances have been excellent and a man of the match performance from Stekelenberg means that the big keeper has now gone 360 minutes without conceding.

Confident start. You're building a really good team.

Who did Beckham move to? Have you sold anyone who you'll miss? I don't mean who the team will miss, but who you'll miss in that emotional way we FM players can relate to.

Bekcham retired from football. I haven't let anyone i'm attached to leave yet, but I will be soon, i'm in season four and one or two players are either too old or becoming complacent and it will be really difficult to let them go/replace them, but I have to tell myself that it;s the right thing to do.

September 2011

Ajax 0 – 0 AZ

Stekelenberg got another man of the match award for this game, which tells you all you need to know, we struggled and AZ were unlucky not to get anything out of it. Even a red card and our opponents being reduced to ten men didn’t see our play or chances improve, a very disappointing game. However, 7 points from a possible 9 against our main rivals is not to be sniffed at.

Ajax 2 – 0 Debrecen

Last year we had Barca, Juve and Dinamo in our group, this year we have Debrecen, Spartak Moscow and Shakthtar, it wouldn’t be easy, but it wouldn’t be hard either and I fully expected us to qualify for the knockout stages. The first game of the group produced a solid performance from my lads and a comfortable victory, a great start, but I’m sure Spartak and Shakhtar will be far stronger than Debrecen.

Willem II 0 – 1 Ajax

Another day, another narrow victory, but another clean sheet and, most important of all, another three points. Cvitanic early goal gave us the win, the big striker is in great form and has forged a really strong partnership with Suarez.

Ajax 1 – 0 Dijkse Boys

I dunno what it is about the Dutch Cup, but my side continue to struggle in this competition. Dijske Boys are an extremely poor side and even though I fielded a weakened team I expected a comfortable victory. We had to rely on an extra time goal to win it and we had to throw on the big guns to get that goal. Jo was particularly disappointing, he failed to take his chances and was caught offside on no less than 8 occasions.

Heerenveen 0 – 2 Ajax

Heerenveen are a tricky side, but Suarez and Cvitanich are in great form, it was a comfortable game and we never looked like getting anything other than three points. Overshadowing the result and our fantastic start to the season is Stekelenberg’s form, the ever present keeper has just broken the Ajax and league record for consecutive clean sheets and has now gone over 720 minutes without conceding a goal!

Spartak Moscow 1 – 2 Ajax

Of course you break a record and then you concede, that’s sod’s law, but we still managed to get the victory. Cvitanich, yet again, coming to our aid with a well taken brace having gone behind to a Welliton header on the stroke of half time. I was delighted with the win, especially away from home, but I was extremely disappointed with Jo’s performance, it was clear that he was struggling to settle in.

The Season So Far

It couldn’t be going much better tbh, we’re sitting pretty at the top of the domestic league and our Champions League group, Cvitanich and Suarez are scoring for fun and the defence are breaking records, it’s the perfect situation for a manager to be in. I’m confident that we can keep this form going, the only problem is; we’re playing so well that I don’t have much to talk about! :D

*Mike, thanks very much, I enjoy writing them, it's a lot quicker and easier than FMS :D Which players do you feel an attachment with, Andrade is the pick of the bunch for me, he came in on a free and has been super solid, i'm dreading having to drop him, but next season he's 34.*

October 2011

Ajax 1 – 1 FC Groningen

You start the season well, quality defensive displays and scoring goals for fun, then you come up against a very average Groningen side and only just sneak a point thanks to a last minute equaliser from Sarpong, go figure. We actually played quite well; we just couldn’t seem to complete that final pass that would give us a chance to get back into the game. A disappointing start to October.

Roda JC 0 – 1 Ajax

I feel a bit sorry for Jose Salomon Rondon, I assumed he wasn’t ready and brought Jo in, basically telling the youngster that he’d be sitting on the bench this season and then he went on to score the winning goal in the Super Cup and against Roda JC. I could tell myself that signing Jo was the incentive he needed and that his form is down to my man management, but that would be ignoring the fact that Jo is on £40k per week and not producing the goods. Seems like my first real mistake in the transfer market and a real waste of resources as my wage budget is quite limited.

Ajax 2 – 1 Shakhtar Donetsk

Phew! Squeaky bum time and we aren’t even half way through the season. Failure to win at home would have been difficult to take, especially if you fail because of an own goal courtesy of the post and your keeper’s back. Thankfully Busquets was on hand to produce a breathtaking 30 yard drive that found the top right corner and maintained our 100% record in Europe.

FC Utrecht 1 – 2 Ajax

Utrecht took the lead on 8 minutes and I did start to worry, but within two minutes Suarez had us back on level terms, after that there was only going to be one winner, especially when Utrecht were reduced to 10 men just after half time. A more convincing win would have been nice, but three points is all that really matters.

FC Eindhoven 1 – 3 Ajax

Yet again we struggled to break down lower league opposition, it took us 30 minutes to score and by that time they already had the lead. I assume it’s complacency, expecting a win and not giving it their all, but my half time team talk seemed to do the trick and we booked our place in the fourth round with goals from Bentley and, once again, Rondon.

Ajax 3 – 0 FC Den Bosch

Cvitanich’s form has dipped in recent games, he was in rich goal scoring form and now he looks like he couldn’t hit a barn door. Alderweireld was on form and got two good headers from two Bentley deliveries, either side of a cool Suarez effort. Only our second clean sheet of the month though, disappointing considering our early run of clean sheets.

The Season So Far

I’m starting to get too used to winning, I’m expecting too much of the players. Five wins in six games, the sixth being a draw, most managers would be delighted with a month like that, but I’ve been spoilt, even when we win I expect something more, I expect perfect performances, goals and clean sheets. We’re still top of the league, already building up a bit of a gap and we’re sitting pretty in our Champions League group, I must seem incredibly ungrateful, but I’m disappointed with this month and I expect better!

Well I liked Pantelic at first but you lost faith in him. I thought it was cool when you signed Beckham and I really like Diarra.

Pick of the bunch for me is Cvitanich.

Rondon looks a prospect.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Albin Ekdal. He looks class. He's at Juve on my game after a season on loan at Siena.

I forgot to mention Pantelic, can't remember where he went to, but he moved in the summer. To begin with he was really solid and worked well with Suarez, but he went through a rough patch and during that time Cvitanich came in an did a really good job, seemed unfair to send him back to the bench, plus he is younger and would probably have replaced Pantelic eventually, so I just promoted him to first choice sooner ratehr than later.

Diarra made a real difference, imo he won us the first title and gave us a bit of grit in midfield. He still egts his fair sahre of games, but Busquets is too good to leave out. Rondon is a real prospect, he has all the attributes necessary to take over from Cvitanich and he's still only 20.

November 2011

Shakhtar 0 – 2 Ajax

Four wins from four games, we’ve basically qualified for the knockout stages which is a heck of an achievement. Admittedly the group wasn’t particularly strong, but Spartak and Shakhtar can be tricky, on their day, so I’m happy to have exceeded the board expectations, but the real hard work starts in February, the knockout stages and the big guns.

Sparta 0 – 0 Ajax

Sparta have turned into something of a bogey team for my troops, either they know how to play against us, or we don’t know how to play against them. One things for sure, regardless of how they play or we play we should be beating them and a draw isn’t good enough.

Ajax 4 – 1 Ado Den Haag

A fantastic performance from Suarez was enough to make sure of the three points and really take the Den Haag defence to task. Horvath’s red card on 33 didn’t help their cause, but by that time we were already two up and coasting, a Shatskikh consolation took the shine off an otherwise perfect performance.

FC Twente 0 – 3 Ajax

We left it late, but better late than never as we grabbed a three goal win against Maccers Twente. All three goals came in the final fifteen minutes, the opener from Rondon opening the floodgates, the youngster made the break through within 13 minutes of being introduced, replacing Jo who produced yet another lacklustre performance.

Ajax 3 – 0 Vitesse

Vitesse aren’t a bad side, so a three goal win is a pretty good result. Suarez continues his good form and Cvitanich is back amongst the goals, which is just what the doctor ordered as we enter a packed winter schedule in the build up to the winter break.

Debrecen 1 – 6 Ajax

We already knew that we had qualified for the knockout stages, but this result made sure of it. Debrecen are the weakest team in the group, haemorrhaging goals, but six goals in one game should always be considered an achievement. Sulejmani was the star performer and managed to bag a brace, nice to see as the winger hasn’t really recaptured the goal scoring form we were all so proud of last season.

Ajax 2 – 0 Volendam

Two Cvitanich penalties, either side of half time, and a red card for Yildiz made sure that we ended November with a clean sheet and three points. Truth be told, I expected a more comprehensive victory, but we can’t be too picky and as long as we keep winning and continue our unbeaten run, I should be smiling.

The Season So Far

Another excellent month, just two goals conceded, five clean sheets and twenty goals scored, all in the space of seven games. Progression in Europe is particularly pleasing, best case scenario we can continue in the competition and fulfil my dream, worst case scenario we’re guaranteed loads of cash, which I can spend on players in the hope of mounting another challenge next season.

We’re almost five months into the season and we’ve conceded a measly three goals in the league, what more can I say about the league campaign? Title number three, here we come!

December 2011

VVV 0 – 2 Ajax

In five games time we will be starting the winter break and I’ll be thinking about who to sign/whether or not I need to sign anyone. If my squad of youngsters, average age of 23, continue to produce performances like this then there’ll be no need to spend a penny. A committed and efficient performance, another clean sheet and another stellar performance from my rock solid defence.

Ajax 3 – 1 Spartak Moscow

Jo finally got on the score sheet and finally played well, his goal gave us the lead and Welliton equalised, but a quick fire double from Cvitanich made sure that we completed the group stage with a 100% record. Expectations had been set as a Group Stage appearance, but we would be trying our hand in the knockout stages and I couldn’t wait.

NEC 0 – 2 Ajax

We’ve been scoring for fun and keeping clean sheets like no tomorrow, all power to the strike force and defence, but the unsung hero and my player of the season, so far, is Stekelenberg. The ever present keeper has produced match winning display after match winning display and this was another, as we left it late yet again and thanks to his heroics Sulejmani and Cvitanich could grab us the three points with two goals in the final ten minutes.

NAC Breda 2 – 2 Ajax

Something of a wakeup call, our final league game before the break gave us a real kick up the backside. Thankfully Cvitanich was on hand to spare our blushes, but a result like this really isn’t what the doctor ordered, especially considering it’s the last league game we’ll be playing for the best part of a month.

FC Twente 2 – 0 Ajax

What is it about the Dutch Cup? The Breda result was a bad way to enter the second half of the league season, but this result is a disastrous way to enter the second half the season in general. The loss and exit was difficult enough to swallow, but it was the manner of the loss and the fact that so many players appeared to e on holiday already. Sulejmani, in particular, was abysmal, it’s one month until our next game, a league fixture against the team who just thumped us…

The Season So Far

The draw in the league probably isn’t a big deal, we’re still unbeaten and five conceded in nineteen games is an impressive performance, but the draw coupled with the Cup exit and humiliation against Twente might be something to worry about. The games are coming thick and fast, no bad thing because it encourages consistency, but I have quite a small and very young squad, the winter break might have come at just the right time.

LEAGUE TABLE

A fantastic group stage sees us trying our hand at the knockout stages of the Champions League, there were a few teams that I would like to have drawn, Marseille, Galatasary and Genoa are beatable, but we were paired with Valencia. Progression will be a tall order, but I have confidence that we can get revenge for our Europa League Semi Final defeat, back in season one.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGE

January 2012

Ajax 4 – 0 FC Twente

Revenge for our cup exit, I suppose the league is more important, but I still can’t get that cup defeat out of my head and even though we absolutely destroyed Twente, it doesn’t make up for the humiliation of yet another early exit from the domestic cup. The performance was excellent, the lads bounced back with a win and a good performance after a loss and a capitulation.

PSV 4 – 4 Ajax

What a game! 1-0 down, back to 1-1, 2-1 down, back to 2-2, 3-2 ahead, 4-2 ahead, 4-3 ahead, pulled back to 4-4, an absolute cracker. The defending from both sides was really poor, but the finishing and flair was top notch, Jo finally arrived with a brace, but his display was overshadowed by another wonder game from the striker we missed out on because of Jo, Milevskyi. I would have liked to have claimed the win against our rivals, but games like this come once in a blue moon and I’m just going to savour a fantastic match.

The Season So Far

Not much can happen in a month with only two games, but we maintain our position at the top of the table and remain in with a fantastic chance of a third consecutive title. Transfer wise, nothing doing, I decided against bringing anyone in during the mid season window, we’re playing so well, I wouldn’t know who to replace and wouldn’t want to rock the boat.

Up next are Feyenoord, followed by AZ, two challengers and two potential banana skins, if we win both then the title race is pretty much over, three months before the end of the season.

February 2012

Ajax 3 – 0 Feyenoord

Feyenoord fans will blame a terrible refereeing decision, in the 32nd minute, that saw Voronin receive his marching orders, for this comprehensive loss, but by that time we were two goals ahead and good value for our lead. It’s my in game birthday, hooray, quite the birthday present, but only one year off my 30th :eek:

AZ 2 – 1 Ajax

Our first loss of the season and it’s taken almost eight months to come, but it’s come against our most capable challenger and having predicted the title if we won this, I’m now looking through our remaining fixtures and hoping that this doesn’t knock us off our stride. Two goals in the final twenty minutes, once again we fell foul of taking the lead and not finishing off the opponent. Injuries to Oleguer and Jo didn’t help, but we had enough chances to win three games, let alone lose one.

Ajax 3 – 0 Willem II

Back on track and a decent win considering our problems up front. Rondon is out will a hamstring injury and Cvitanich hasn’t played since the Twente game in mid January, Jo injured in the AZ match and Sulejmani has to step in and partner Suarez up front. He did a good job, got on the score sheet, but this is only Willem II and in three days time we have to go away to Valenica with only one fit and recognised striker.

Valencia 2 – 2 Ajax

I’d love to say that this cracker of a result was down to a team performance, but it wasn’t, for the most part they didn’t turn up and it was down to two players to give us any hope of progressing to the quarter finals. Stekelenberg produced a goalkeeping master class, the captain lead by example and keeping the score line down so that we had a chance of catching up. This time last year David Bentley was settling in well, now he’s a real force and turning the heads of some of Europe’s top clubs, we might struggle to hold onto him after a brace that resurrected our hope for progression.

Ajax 4 – 1 Heerenveen

The sooner we get another striker back, to partner Suarez, the better! Poor old Sarpong was thrown into the deep end, a left winger playing as a targetman, and did a fantastic job, two goals to his name, but we need someone bigger and stronger. Unfortunately Cvitanich won’t be back any time soon, but Jo should be back for the trip to Groningen.

FC Groningen 1 – 3 Ajax

Jo still wasn’t 100% so he started on the bench and Sarpong remained up front, at half time I introduced the big Brazilian who had struggled for form before Christmas and he gave us the edge that saw us claim victory. Two goals and an assist, it was his best performance since joining the club and I really hope that he can build on it.

Ajax 3 – 0 Roda JC

Another excellent performance from the lads, Bentley, Suarez and Jo on the score sheet, it could have been four, but Bentley’s penalty was saved well by the Roda keeper. A man of the match performance from Ekdal shows that he is turning into the playmaker that I had hoped and he’s reaching the potential that saw me fork out £10m for.

The Season So Far

The AZ match was disappointing, but overall it was a bloody good month. 15 points from a possible 18 in the league and an away draw, along with two away goals, against one of the best teams in Spain, we were entering the business end of the season and we were hitting top form. However, some niggly injuries are hitting certain players, until now we’ve been virtually injury free and an injury to one of my most influential players e.g. Suarez or Stekelenberg, could prove disastrous. Fingers and toes crossed!

March 2012

ADO Den Haag 0 – 2 Ajax

This would be a make or break month, the chance to get our own back on Valencia and the chance to seal a third successive title (ten points and we would clinch it with five games to go). ADO Den Haag didn’t really cause us any problems, Jo made sure of the win with a real poachers effort, he’s found form and started to play really well, however, Cvitanich has just returned from injury.

Ajax 2 – 1 Valencia

We have lift off! Defensively we were fantastic, but this game was all about the Valencia keeper who kept a rampant forward line at bay for more than hour before finally succumbing to two well taken efforts from Suarez and Sarpong. Only my second year in the competition and already a Quarter Final place, I’m absolutely delighted, but I’m absolutely terrified at the prospect of a hammering at the hands of Italian giants, Inter Milan.

Ajax 4 – 0 FC Utrecht

If Jo keeps this sort of form up Cvitanich won’t get back in the side and I’ll be forced to offer him a contract. Another two goals from the big Brazilian front man, I’m not quite sure what happened to him, he was terrible in the first half of the season, but unstoppable, so far, in the second. A convincing win against a decent Utrecht side left us within four points of title number three.

FC Den Bosch 0 – 1 Ajax

One point left, but only thanks to Suarez. We had the chance to take the lead early on, but Bentley fluffed his penalty and it seemed to knock his confidence as the wide man gave his worst performance of the season. Suarez goal came in the 91st minute, but the fact that it came is the most important thing and all we have to do is draw at home against Sparta and we’ll be holding onto the title for yet another year.

Ajax 0 – 0 Sparta

We’ve done it! Just about, but we’ve still done it. A painfully lacklustre performance from the lads saw us hobble over the finishing line and lift the trophy at the end of the game. It would have been nice to clinch it with a win, but in four games time we have the biggest game of my managerial career and nobody wants to miss the trip to Inter.

Inter Milan 1 – 0 Ajax

This result was really difficult to take, we gave a bloody good account of ourselves and Stekelenberg, at the very least, deserved something from the game. In my first season I toyed with the idea of replacing him, thank god I didn’t, he’s now captain of the club and probably our most consistent performer. The goal was a sucker punch, I thought we’d done enough, but a burst of pace and fabulous finish from Tosic, showed why I was so eager to sign him up way back when.

Vitesse 0 – 0 Ajax

This is what I like to call a “filler”, a game between two important games, that doesn’t really mean all that much and will almost definitely command a weakened line up. With the league wrapped up and Inter coming to town I gave some of the backup a run out and they did relatively well, just not enough to nab a win, either way Wednesday is what’s really important.

The Season So Far

Regardless of the result in four days time, this has been our best season yet. We’ve claimed the title with a full month to go and we’re still in the Champions League mix, the performance from the players and particularly the defence has been spectacular. I’d love to go into more detail, but I’m just dying to fill you in on the final month and especially the CL.

:D

April 2012

Ajax 4 – 1 Inter Milan

You couldn’t make it up! Roy of the Rovers stuff as David Bentley bounces back from two abject performances with the performance of his career. Four goals in forty minutes against one of the best teams in the world, let alone Europe, and Ajax Amsterdam have arrived on the continental scene. We will be in the Semis of the Champions League and all of a sudden my continental expectations don’t seem quite so impossible. However, Juventus are going to be tough, but if we can beat Inter, we can beat anyone.

Ajax 2 – 0 NEC

A decent game and a decent result, Rondon continues to do well when he gets a game, but the game and performance is blighted by a petulant and unnecessary red card or Sneijder. The lad has so much potential, he could be one of the best, but only if he calms down and improves his temperament, that said, he is still only 20 and has plenty of time to mature.

Volendam 1 – 0 Ajax

It’s quite a feat to record only your second league loss of the season in your 33rd game, the strange thing is, I played a pretty strong team. However, ignore the result and look at the injury, three days before Juventus are welcomed to the Arena Suarez, our biggest and best player, picks up an injury that will see him miss the remainder of the season. The injury couldn’t have come at a worse time and Cvitanich will have to suddenly recapture his early season form.

Ajax 1 – 3 Juventus

Bloody hell they were good! I’ve no doubt that we just played against the best team in Europe and more than likely the eventual winners of the Champions League. Oleguer gave us an early advantage, but there was no stopping JUve and Diego was on fire, he set up Chiellini for both of his goals and started the move that lead to Giovinco getting on the score sheet. I don’t think we played badly, but I hope that we can at least keep it respectable in Turin.

Juventus 3 – 1 Ajax

Excuse my French, but Jesus H Christ, Juve are immense on my save (a vision of the future Mike;)). The scoreline flattered us, and they could have scored double figures, but for another man of the match performance between the sticks from Stekelenberg. I know we missed Suarez, but he wouldn’t have made any difference, we’ve made major strides, but we’re still lacking when you see a team perform like this.

Ajax 1 – 2 VVV

Loss number three of the season, no big deal, the title is still ours and a couple of youngsters/backup got a run out. I gave Andrade the captain’s armband for this fixture, I’m sitting here imagining him lifting the trophy on home turf, his 99th appearance for the club, not bad for a 30+ free transfer back in season one and he has at least two more seasons left in him. After the game I offered Jo a contract (he’s available on a free in one month’s time), but I can’t afford to give £40k per week to someone that will share a first team place with Cvitanich.

Season Summary

What an absolutely smashing league campaign, we averaged two goals scored and 0.5 conceded per game, won the title with five games to go and filled 9 of the team of the season spots. Perhaps I’m being greedy, but I think we could have been more prolific in front of goal, two per game is great, but we were creating more than enough chances per game to be scoring at least three. Defensively we were impeccable, Alderweireld has really come into his own, however, Andrade is 34 next year and has lost a lot of pace so we’re likely to see a new face in the centre of defence next season.

FINAL LEAGUE TABLE

The European campaign was unbelievable, not sure what else I can say, so I’ll just leave you with a screenshot and then sit back with a big smug grin on my face. :D

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Remarkable season, really. I hate Inter on FM, though not in real life. They're unrealistically good so fair play for getting past them. I hope I can get my Juventus team playing the way the Juventus you came up against played!

I wonder what next season will bring you...

July/August 2012

After such a fantastic third season I couldn’t think of too many changes that I wanted to, or needed to, make for season four. There was interest in a number of my stars, but I managed to fend off the big clubs and hold on to a virtually unchanged squad for season four and only one big change was made.

Emanuelson had been a loyal servant to the club, but he had caught the eye of Inter and wasn’t a natural left back, the position he had played for the past three years, he was a left winger and wasn’t going to be stealing Sulejmani’s place. I wanted to bring in a more defensive left back and so I accepted a £6M bid from the blue half of Milan, I spent £5.5m of that fee on his replacement, Jose Angel, aged only 21 and joining from Sporting, he should fit in perfectly and is just as good as Emanuelson going forward and better in defence.

Other than that there were three other summer signings, German Pacheco, the Argentinean striker arrived on a free transfer and Wellington, the teenage Brazilian striker arrived from Benfica for £1m. We now had five strikers battling out for two positions; however, three of them are the right side of 23. The final signing was 20 year old American centre back Gale Agbossoumonde, he’s set to replace the aging Andrade, and will benefit from sharing a position with the veteran Portuguese.

A focus on youth, as you can and a focus on building for the future and adding to an already incredibly gifted squad, I couldn’t wait for kick off.

FC Groningen 1 – 3 Ajax

We got the season off to a cracking start with another Super Cup win and my sixth piece of silverware in three years in charge. Opening the scoring, in his 100th game for the club, Jorge Andrade, I can’t do this man justice; he’s a legend and one of those special players who will live long in my heart because of FM. One blot on the result though, potential wonderkid Wellington was carried off with a torn muscle and will miss a hefty chuck of the first half of the season.

Ajax 3 – 1 FC Twente

As soon as you have five strikers three get injured and your forced to give fifth choice a run out, thankfully Rondon is fifth choice and the Venezuelan has proved in the past that he is more than capable of stepping up to the task. I should point out Tony Curtis at right back, the American has replaced Ogararu at right back and has settled in well, another young star, the average age of the squad is roughly 22.

ADO Den Haag 1 – 1 Ajax

My hero came up with a match saving header in the 93rd minute, it spared our blushes and made up for the lack of firepower up front. Suarez didn’t turn up, but more worrying than that is how the team didn’t turn up because he didn’t turn up, are we relying on him too much?

Ajax 1 – 2 Vitesse

Won one, drawn one, lost one, an indifferent start to the season. Vitesse are the kind of team that we should be hammering, I’d love to blame the result on Ekdal’s red card, but it came in the 89th minute and we had 45 minutes in which to find an equaliser let alone a winner. Slightly concerned by our form, particularly our defensive form as we’re yet to keep a clean sheet.

RKC 2 – 0 Ajax

Did anyone see this coming? I certainly didn’t. Title holders humbled by newly promoted RKC and when I say humbled, I mean humbled, they tore us to shreds and we never got going. We’ve already lost 66% of the games we lost last season and we’re only four games into this campaign. Alarm bells are starting to ring.

The Season So Far

An absolutely awful month, four points from a possible twelve. The Super Cup win was the calm before the storm and we’ve been left shell shocked, we have to regain composure quick or we could find ourselves out of the running before the running has even started. I’d love to blame injuries, but I thought my signings had added to the depth of the squad and I believed that we had decent enough cover to cope with injury problems. Complacency is the real problem, we expect to win games and we’re being punished for it, perhaps this run of form will give the players the wake up call they need.

Very good end to the last season in winning the league and having a great run in the Champions League as well. How has Sergio Busquets been overall since you signed him, I had a £7 million offer accepted in the first season with Everton but he wouldn't sign. Just wondering if he would be worth bringing to the EPL or not.

He's good, but for the most part I play him as a DM and I think he plays better as an MC. Alongside Ekdal he provides some good passes from deep, but at times I think the midfield is quite vulnerable because neither of them have the bite or detemrination of someone like Mo Diarra. Depends on how you want to play and who you have in your squad, if you want a flamboyant, creative midfield, bring him in as a creative defensive midfielder, but if you already have a creative midfielder and want your DM to break up play, then I think there are better options.

September 2012

Ajax 2 – 0 FC Den Bosch

Our first clean sheet of the season, but more importantly our first win in four, it was a good performance, nothing better, but nothing less. Sneijder scored a cracker, I hope to give him a fair amount of games this season as it’s do or die time for the youngster, do and he might make right/left wing his own, die and he’ll be on his way at the end of the season.

Barcelona 0 – 0 Ajax

An excellent performance from the lads, it might have been played out against ten men, but when you lose to RKC you expect to struggle against Barca, regardless of how many they have on the field. Stekelenberg had a cracking game, but it was a real team effort and Busquets did excellently against his old club.

Sparta 0 – 1 Ajax

We were thankful of the early goal netted by Cvitanich because we could and should have scored more, but spurned a weeks worth of chances. Sarpong did well, he’s getting a run in the team thanks to Sulejmani’s abysmal form.

OJC Osmalen 1 – 3 Ajax

Even at this early stage of the season I’m conscious of fixture congestion, especially considering the ground we have to make up. PSV have a 100% record in the league, there are six points to claim back and the Dutch Cup is bottom of the agenda, however, the backup did well and notched up a convincing win against a spirited Osmalen side. Maduro had an excellent game playing alongside Mo Diarra, reuniting the 10/11 midfield, might consider giving them a run of games in the hope that we can string some clean sheets together.

The Season So Far

A decent month, back to winning ways in the league and nabbing an unlikely point at the Nou Camp, however, there’s still a lot of work to be done because performances aren’t up to scratch. PSV are starting to build up a head of steam and it looks like it’ll take quite a performance to knock them off track and we have to be ready to take our chance. It’s only September, but we cannot afford to lose again this side of Christmas!

I have tonnes of bite in my midfield with Felipe Melo, Diarra, Gago and Sissoko. I think flair is what I lack in all honesty. Marchisio is average and Beckham is old.

Then Busquets is your man, he's very creative. You can pick up better, but they are going to cost twice as much, for the money involved he'd be a good signing.

October 2012

Ajax 3 – 1 AEK

Yet another ok performance, we’re getting the wins, but it’s the manner of the victory that is worrying me. Pachecho got a chance to show me what he’s made of and ended up being subbed at half time after a hat tricks worth of opportunities were wasted. That said, AEK and Slavia Prague are the teams that we have to beat if we are to progress, so I can’t complain too much.

NEC 0 – 0 Ajax

With Bentley injured and Sulejmani off form, Sneijder and Suarez are patrolling the wings. Sneijder is doing well and might cement himself a first team place, but Suarez is wasted out wide and we seem devoid of ideas up front when he’s not partnering the target man. NEC are the type of team that we should be beating, especially considering the fact that PSV continue from strength to strength and every point dropped is a point further behind the early pacesetters.

Ajax 2 – 0 Heerenveen

Finally Sulejmani delivers! The Serbian had been in excellent form until this season, but it’s taken him almost four months to get going and we’ve suffered because of it. It’s no coincidence that his return to form result sin a good win against decent opposition, he’s just what we need, especially on a Suarez off day and gives us width and flair. If he can keep this up I’m sure we’ll be ok.

Slavia Prague 1 – 5 Ajax

Yet another record is broken during my tenure with Ajax as Cvitanich bags five goals in a single game. The Argentinean has been in electric form so far this season and continues o prove me wrong, I know that I shouldn’t look elsewhere, but no matter how well he performs I’m always on the hunt for a more clinical front man to partner Suarez. It really isn’t fair on someone who has been a loyal and consistent servant.

FC Groningen 0 – 1 Ajax

Groningen aren’t a bad side, but surely I have to expect better from my team, especially when we’re up against ten men?! Cvitanich saved the day, yet again, with a goal just before the break, but the overall performance was nothing short of average and we were lucky to come away with all three points.

Ajax II 1 – 4 Ajax

Nine goals in three games, even Suarez hasn’t managed that! Cvitanich produced another stunning display in a very odd match. It’s strange playing against your reserves and both teams having to take it seriously, however, it’s embarrassing conceding an equaliser against your reserves in a supposedly competitive match. We progress in the cup, but it’s bottom of the agenda, unless our poor form gets even worse at which point we may have to shift focus in the hope of claiming some silverware.

The Season So Far

Five wins and a draw, a pretty emphatic month, but the performances left a lot to be desired. The problem is that I don’t know what went wrong! It’s the same team that walked through the league last season, but they just aren’t performing, perhaps it’s complacency, perhaps the other teams have improved drastically, I don’t know. Right now it looks like we’ll be relying on a rival dropping form, rather than us finding form, if we are going to stand a decent chance of defending our title.

It's weird seeing you play your reserves. I mean, theoretically your the manager of the whole club (on the playing side) and as such, you're supposed to want the reserves to do well. You basically had a situation where Ajax are trying to knock Ajax out of the cup!

Archived