[FM10] Der's More to Amsterdam Dan Dis....

Elrithral

That table is so close, it's going to be so tense for the last few games. I'm actually quite excited to see what happens.

The Espanyol game was crazy, 11 goal thriller! I bet it was a real rollercoaster for you. Very good win against Zaragoza too.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 2019

Osasuna 3 – 3 Valencia

What is it with teams who have been relegated suddenly turning on the style and why does it have to be against my team? Osasuna have no chance of avoiding relegation and they have endured a pretty terrible season, whereas we are primed for Europe, but that’s not enough to break down the cannon fodder. Peralsta continued to prove himself as the most inconsistent defender in the world with yet another abject performance that gifted Osasuna two goals and it was yet more lacklustre and lazy defending that gave them a late equaliser when it seemed we had the three points in the bag.

Valencia 5 – 1 Xerez

What a difference seven days makes, another relegation certainty, but a more convincing performance from my lads and we come away with an impressive result, albeit one that everyone expected. The difference? I’m not sure, perhaps it’s home support, but when I compare the performances to those given against Osasuna there’s a big difference, but the only major difference in game was the change in venue. Either way, the win puts us in the driving seat for fourth spot, as long as we don’t lose away to Getafe. However, the “away” word scares me.

Getafe 4 – 2 Valencia

It must be away games, it’s got to be, there’s no other reason for a performance like this that condemns us to Europa League football next season. The players that mattered had an absolute shocker and Getafe are the type of team that always capitalise on errors, not a single defender scored more than 6.1. Villalva and Keirrison tired their best to save the day, but it wasn’t enough and Getafe got four easy goals to finish off the most consistent inconsistent season of all time.

Final League Table

Champions League Stages

Season Summary

I’m not entirely sure what to make of that season, on one hand we were 8th when I took over and ended up missing out on Champions League football by a couple of points, but on the other hand we hadn’t lost a game when I took over and finished the season with 5 league games lost. I suppose I have to look upon it as a success because the players seemed to adapt to my style of play quite quickly and half a season isn’t long to try and stamp your authority on a team, but I seemed to do it.

Next season will be make or break and I have high expectations, though the board only expect continental qualification, which takes away some of the pressure. One thing is for sure, there are going to be big changes in the summer and lots of money spent.

I never felt that I could stamp my authority on Valencia in half a season, I had to make do with players that I wasn’t particularly happy with and just plug away until summer arrived when I could try and create a team, not just carry on a team. With that in mind I went on a spending spree during the summer.

First off lets talk about the players that left. Robert Canella is an ok LB, but he wasn’t good enough for a title or Champions League push so I was happy to accept Madrid’s offer of £3.4m. The same goes fro Burak Karakus and Oussama Assaidi, neither were likely to get much first team action and there were better players on the market so I was more than happy to ship Karakus off to Fenerbache for £2.1m and Assaidi to Bordeaux for £3.1m. Babacar was never going to dislodge Villalva or Keirrison, but his wages were high and his opinion of himself even higher so I almost bit Atletico’s hand off when they offered £5.25m. The final transfer was a tough one, van Dam had done well in the few games he played, but I needed someone stronger to act as backup and felt that a %.5m offer from Palermo was too good to refuse. That gave me £18m on top of my £30m budget, which meant I had plenty to work with.

The list of ins is lengthy, so make yourself comfortable. I’ll start with the players that aren’t newgens, Kevin Thomson and Flamini had both left after short term contracts and I made finding a younger and more versatile defensive midfielder my top priority, step forward Ignacio Camacho, an absolute bargain at only £1.7m from Atletico Madrid. Next up was cover for him and a free transfer as Pontus Wernbloom comes in to warm the bench and play the odd cup game. The final non-newgen to arrive is a hero of mine and bound to give Villalva and Keirrison a run for their money, Luis Suarez might be 32, but £6.2m isn’t much for a striker of his quality, even if the signing is 90% sentimental.

Now, newgens! Starting at the back I bring in another old Ajax colleague, Marco Miguel spent a loan spell with us and did very well, I’m delighted to bring him in from West Ham for £2.7m and he should give Peralta a run for his money. Slavko Horvat has all the potential, but he’s still young and has plenty of time, but £1.8m from Celta is a bargain. We’re thin on the ground in midfield so I spent most of my cash on bringing in three sturdy challengers. I’ll let their atts do the talking; Francisco Torres cost £2.2m from Villarreal, Mariano Pierini was £3.9m from Las Palmas and Ross Bean arrived from Willem II for £6m. Luis Velandia was the final signing, a young Spanish backup striker was a must and £3.8m wasn’t too much to spend on a player who has learnt his trade at PSV.

I keep forgetting how far into the future I am and that some of the players aren’t real :D So here’s a few screenies of my newgen players; Tony Curtis, Kepa Pardo, Maximiliano Peralta and Enzo Vogel.

Now onto the football.

August/September 2019

Wisla 0 – 3 Valencia

The pitfalls of finishing the season in the lower reaches of European qualification include starting your competitive season early and having to make trips to Poland in order to stand any chance of doing something on the continent. When it came down to it we made light work of the opposition and my three most important players got on the score sheet, though Suarez did make a debut to forget, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before he finds his feet and makes the step up.

Valencia 2 – 0 Wisla

Well that’s us through to the group stage and though I bemoaned the early start to the season, a convincing 5 - 0 aggregate win is bound to raise confidence as we prepare for a visit from Barcelona in the opening league game. Horvat made his debut, got on the score sheet and claimed the man of the match award, this guy is one to watch and a definite star of the future.

Valencia 2 – 0 Barcelona

Holy moly Batman! Who saw that coming, not me and I always expect my team to win! Barcelona ripped us apart, but I set the team out to play on the counter and it worked brilliantly as we nabbed a two goal win against the title favourites. Lung Jr performed wonders, but up front we were lethal and Suarez put his nightmare debut behind him with a lovely finish in the 54th minute and a goal on his league debut.

Betis 2 – 0 Valencia

Crash, bang, wallop, back down to earth. Start as we mean to go on, I suppose and the inconsistency always shines through. You beat the would be champions one day and fall to bottom half cannon fodder the next, such is the unpredictable life of a manager. Not to take anything away from Betis, they took their chances well, but we were poor and Monge in particular was poor, Pardo might be getting his place back sooner rather than later.

Valencia 4 – 1 Auxerre

I’ve always had a soft spot for Auxerre, it’s the Guy Roux factor, but I still wanted to beat them and I’m delighted that we managed to win by such a healthy margin. The game started off slowly and the first few attempts fell to the French side, but Suarez and Keirrison took their defence to task and whilst we had fewer attempts on goal and less possession, we made the most of our possession and took the chances that did come our way.

Valencia 2 – 0 Atletico Madrid

This si right up there with the Barca result, Atletico are ahead of us in the odds department and finished higher than us last season, so claiming a win has to be considered a step up. Perhaps most impressive was our ability to maintain the lead and get the win with ten men, Torres receiving his marching orders in the 69th minute and my hand forced as I had to replace a frontman with a midfielder and play more conservatively than I would have liked.

Villarreal 1 – 3 Valencia

Villarreal aren’t the team that they used to be, but they are a rival and always turn it up a notch when playing against us, so the win goes down as a big win. Once again there were three players that made a big difference, Salvio, Villalva and Keirrison have enjoyed great starts to the season and what is essentially a front three are already showing signs of producing the kind of attacking football and scoring potential that I love to see.

Valencia 4 – 0 Castellon

Another three goals for Keirrison, another goal for Salvio, another three points for us and a good win against newly promoted Castellon. It could have been more, but you always take you’re foot off the gas when you’re four ahead after only 61 minutes. It was a very impressive team performance and the players, who do all the work, but get none of the credit, the Camacho’s and Torres’, had great games.

Agree with the two posts above. It feels like they're your player, it's like the Fergie/Giggs/Scholes type thing.

Elrithral

Really good start to the new season, I'm sure if you keep going you'll match your high expectations. I think your first season went really well too considering when you took over, you got your European place and have a really good base to build on. Some solid looking newgens too.

Good to see this save still going strong I have had to catch up quite a bit. Good to see you in Spain it's my favourite place to manage on FM, great start to the new season I always find Atletico Madrid really hard to beat no matter what team I play as.

Really good career here Elrithral, I enjoyed reading the FMS stories from this challenges last year, and have just caught up on this thread. Congratulations on the success with Ajax and nice start to the latest Valencia season!

Archived