Crosses to no one

The crossing in this game is dreadful. Every time a winger gets into a good position to cross and manages to not blast it off his full back, it is not aimed at anyone in the team. Instead, the winger crosses either straight to the keeper or into a crowd of defenders, even if you have a striker in space. The crosses never have an actual target, every time it seems to be hit and hope. Oh, and when the wingers cut inside and are running towards goal, 99.999% of the time they will ignore the obvious cut back and just shoot straight at the keeper. Stupid.

What are your wingers stats?

Does he have high creative freedom?

Do you have players in support capable of winning a header if they recieve the ball?

What cross aim do you use?

And the cutting inside thing you mention I don't experience, so again what settings does he have? stats? creative freedom blah blah

In my file, I play either Mata, Valencia, Modric or Gourcuff on the wings, all with fairly high crossing stats. For Modric and Mata, they dont have quite so high so I tend to tell them to cut inside or move into channels and give them high creative freedom. With the other two, Valencia is told to cross often and I usually give him a notch or two below "much" for creative freedom. Gourcuff I encourage to play both crosses and through balls, and I give him a lot of creative freedom. As for cross aim, I usually leave it on mixed to allow my players to make their own decisions, as all have good creativity and decisions. I have also tried to instruct them to cross to a target man, in my case Dzeko, who is an aerial monster, yet rarely scores headed goals for me. They still rarely looked to pick him out, even if he was in a good position. As for the cutback problem, its not just wingers, though they are the worst culprits. Every player on the team tends to shoot rather than pass for an easy finish. And due to the annoying glitch that sees players blast around 90% of their one on one shots straight at the keeper, this rarely brings me goals.

i now never bother telling my wingers to cross the ball , in 5 matches ,,,,50 crosses, only 3 complete. and we are talking people with 16 or more for crossing, far post, near post, target man, drilled or float made no diff,,,,only way to score is rebound of keeper! i set my tactics up for that and that only, and do very well out of it.

sorry to say it, but i have to agree with this, and was contemplating making a similar thread myself (though i was going to wait until the end of my first season). Playing as Arsenal i have two strikers who havevery good stats for heading (Bendtner and Cardozo), and several players in the wide positions more than capable of putting in a quality cross (Obasi being the best). I do see Obasi making the odd cutback, but the crosses into the strikers (either drilled or floated) are never converted, and i do mean never as I have not scored a single header in open play in half a season. I defintely think that changes to the ME in this version have negatively effected crossing success, as I always play with Arsenal and have never had this problem before. In fact in previous versions of the ME, even my smaller players like Eduardo scored a fair few headed goals due to decent heading stats and very good positioning/off ball type stats. Average crossers like Walcott and my fullbacks Clichy and Sagna also provided a number of assists. This too is no longer happening.

So Cleon, if it is our tactics that are the problem for this version, would you be so mkind as to give as some tips that might lead to more success (i play 451 by the way).

cheers

Hmm....funny. I've had great success with crosses, especially when playing with a team full of great headers like Everton. I find that the best targets are actually the deep runners from midfield, like Cahill and Fellaini. Even with just decent crosses, I get on about 25-40% of the crosses, and that's good enough to grab me quite a few goals.

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I am dying to find out how NOT to have my wingers kick the ball into the full-back for a corner every time he jinks down the flank. How do you all set up your wingers to actually get the ball into the box, nevermind accuracy?

Hmm....funny. I've had great success with crosses, especially when playing with a team full of great headers like Everton. I find that the best targets are actually the deep runners from midfield, like Cahill and Fellaini. Even with just decent crosses, I get on about 25-40% of the crosses, and that's good enough to grab me quite a few goals.

the issue though is more about crosses to strikers, as these are generally the main targets of crosses in real football, and previoulsy on FM too. Crosses to midfielders may well be effective, but that doesn't really refute the issue with strikers. For me, the issue isn't so much about the cross going over from the winger or fullback, but that the strikers don't seem to be able to get them effectively. Like i said, i have never had this problem in FM, and i'm not doing anything different tactically, so my assumption is that the ME has changed how these work in the game. As such, i'm prepared to concede that my tactics could need adjusting, and if anyone can provide some suggestions for a 451, then i'd be very grateful.

For the 10.2 patch its clear now that a narrow formation, that plays trough the middle, and, even more important, has 3 CENTRAL STRIKERS, is the way to beat the AI. At least until the next patch.

I find this comment interesting. Why is it that you think the 433 narrow is the established best way to play?

I find this comment interesting. Why is it that you think the 433 narrow is the established best way to play?

By testing! Just follow this thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=175981&page=12

The already very good Complete Dominance tactic by Mr Hough became for me the best tactic around by far when I started using 3 strikers. Just Fantastic!!

How could I do what you see bellow with a quite weak team (just promoted) against Benfica, if it wasn't for the tactic completely beating the AI?

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7866/benficay.jpg

By testing! Just follow this thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=175981&page=12

The already very good Complete Dominance tactic by Mr Hough became for me the best tactic around by far when I started using 3 strikers. Just Fantastic!!

How could I do what you see bellow with a quite weak team (just promoted) against Benfica, if it wasn't for the tactic completely beating the AI?

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7866/benficay.jpg

i have followed that thread off and on, and just looking at the last page, looks like its having some mixed results really. Also to suggest that the realtive success of this tactic means that narrow 433 is the established best way to play ignores the fact that several other tactics seem to be equally as effective. And while the result you achived against Benfica is great, i've seen a large number of similar 'overachieving' results from other tactics too, as has always been possible with FM. Anyway, i wasn't attempting to doubt that the tactic could be succesful (and if its working for you then i'm happy you're having success with it), I was just questioning your statement that its clear that a 433 narrow is THE way to beat the AI. :thup:

i have followed that thread off and on, and just looking at the last page, looks like its having some mixed results really. Also to suggest that the realtive success of this tactic means that narrow 433 is the established best way to play ignores the fact that several other tactics seem to be equally as effective. And while the result you achived against Benfica is great, i've seen a large number of similar 'overachieving' results from other tactics too, as has always been possible with FM. Anyway, i wasn't attempting to doubt that the tactic could be succesful (and if its working for you then i'm happy you're having success with it), I was just questioning your statement that its clear that a 433 narrow is THE way to beat the AI. :thup:

Thats a personal statment of course, as belive me I've tried every tactic in this forum, and none was as strong, consistant and overperferming as this one. The main factor to beat the AI is the 3 central strikers really, as their DC simply can't cope with them! Try it.

ok in the interest of fairness and objectivity, i had better add that i just scored two goals from crosses in my last game! However these were more like chips into the box from which two of my smallest players scored (Eduardo and Rosicky). I'm still not having any luck getting 'traditional' crosses into the box to my big strikers (well i do get a few crosses in, i just can't seem to put any in the back of the net). So once again, i'd really appreciate any tips from those who have managed to get this to work.

Cheers

i think this is a problem with 10.2. in patch 10.1 whenever i needed a goal near the end of a game(stated with 4-3-3). id change to 4-2-4 and bring on di maria(AML) and cardozo(ST) as super subs.this worked as i usually scored like 75%,.(around half of the goals from cardozos head by di marias cross). but in 10.2 whenever i did this,it came back with poor results. something like 5%.

Archived