FM10: Pescara Calcio

causeforconcern

DELFINO PESCARA 1936

2dm61j8.png

Delfino Pescara 1936 (usually known and referred to as simply Pescara or Pescara Calcio) is an Italian football club based in Pescara, Abruzzo. The club was formed in 1936 and currently plays in Italian Lega Pro Prima Divisione, previously called Serie C1. Pescara has competed in 5 seasons of Serie A (1977-1978, 1979-1980, 1987-1988, 1988-1989, 1992-1993). Its last Serie A stint ended in 1993. The team's colors are white and light blue.

HISTORY

Apart from a spell in Serie B in the 1940s, Pescara had a relatively undistinguished history until promotion to Serie B in 1974. With players like Giorgio Repetto and Bruno Nobili in midfield, they managed to win promotion to Serie A in 1977 after winning a play-off, but finished in their first season in Serie A in last place. A second promotion after a play-off followed, but once more they would be relegated from the top flight and descend to C1 within two years.

Nonetheless returning to Serie B after a year, Pescara would enjoy a revival after the appointment of the charismatic Giovanni Galeone in 1986. His philosophy of attacking football saw the Biancazzurri promoted to Serie A as champions for 1987, where they lasted two years with players such as Blaz Sliskovic among those starring. Galeone would return during season 1990-91 and oversaw another promotion the following year. Despite finishing bottom of Serie A for a third time, it was an attractive and entertaining side which had few problems scoring goals (thanks to midfielders Massimiliano Allegri and Ottavio Palladini) but also conceded them at an alarming rate. They were involved in a number of thrilling games like a 5-4 home defeat to Milan after being 4-2 up, and a 5-1 win over Juventus in the penultimate round (by which time they had been relegated).

After relegation, Pescara remained in Serie B side throughout the 1990s, narrowly missing promotion in 1999. Relegation to C1 followed in 2001, with promotion in 2003 being followed by two revoked relegations in a row, thanks to bankruptcy and scandals affecting other clubs. Pescara were ultimately relegated in the 2006-07 season, with three presidential and managerial changes during the season. Since then the club has been playing Lega Pro Prima Divisione. In December 2008 the debt-ridden club was legally declared out of business, and its control passed to a bankruptcy trustee appointed by the Court of Pescara. On February 2009 a takeover from a group named Delfino Pescara 1936 was finalized, with Deborah Caldora becoming the first woman to serve as chairman for the club. In the meantime, results did not improve significantly, and on March Giuseppe Galderisi was dismissed from the head coaching post, with Antonello Cuccureddu being appointed as new boss.

RIVALRIES

Pescara have many rivals across Italy. Pescara's regional rivals are Chieti and L'Aquila, both team not having being faced since 2002 due to their financial troubles. Pescara share also notable rivalries with Marche clubs AC Ancona, Ascoli and Sambenedettese. During the 1970s, Pescara developed a strong rivalry with Lazio. Other rivalies include Napoli and Lanciano.

Pescara share two friendships with Vicenza and Messina. Pescara and Vicenza's friendships dates back to 1977 when both Ultras joined in alliance with each other. During the 2006-2007 Serie B season, Pescara and Vicenza celebrated 30 years of friendship together prior to their fixture.

THE GUIDE

Okay now with the Wiki cut and pasting out of the way we can move on to why you would want to be a tiny little club in Italy playing in what is the third tier. Well firstly, it’s a challenge. Money is tight, status is low. Bringing in players requires you to be shrewd; you can’t afford to make Veron sized mistakes. In fact you can’t afford to make Voronin sized mistakes so make sure your scouts do their jobs! Secondly, while you are poor and relatively unknown, you actually have some decent talents (We’ll get to the players in the next section) and a more than adequate stadium for the league you’re in. Lastly, and most importantly, it’s a completely different kind of game than managing the big guns. It is much more rewarding when you take a team with little going for it and turn them into real contenders for the big prizes. You’ll develop a team from almost scratch and build up the reputation yourself. It requires patience but in the end it is completely worth it.

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

GK

Gabriele Bartoletti

Salvatore Pinna

Lorenzo Prisco

DF

Nicola Diliso

Stefano Medda

Andrea Mengoni (on loan from Chievo)

Samuele Olivi

Filippo Petterini

Marco Pomante

Tommaso Romito

Emanuele Sembroni

Simone Vitale

Damiano Zanon

MF

Massimo Bonanni

Alfonso Camorani

Salvatore Carboni

Tommaso Coletti

Francesco Dettori

Andrea Gessa

Diego Matarazzo

Luca Tognozzi

Marco Verratti

Giacomo Zappacosta

FW

Mario Artistico

Massimo Ganci

Mario Artistico

Francesco Zizzari

KEY PLAYERS

Samuele Olivi

Your captain and number one defender. Should be one of the first names on the team sheet. Can do a job in Serie B too.

Massimo Bonanni

While he may not have the most amazing stats at first glance he is more than a handful for most defenders at this level. In my first season he was named player of the year- this after being trained to play a central midfield position.

Marco Sansovini

The best player at the club, in my opinion. Quick enough with great stats in finishing and heading. Can be relied on to score the goals needed for promotion. Doing the job in Serie B too.

Marco Verratti

Well known to most FM players as a huge talent and rightly so. At only sixteen he can be thrown straight into your starting line-up. He’s got great technique, lots of flair and excels at set pieces. Good luck holding on to this one.

TACTICS

First off I find it best if you develop your own or use someone else’s tactic before going into the transfer market. Don't just go out and buy the best players you can, buy the right players for your tactic. I think Benitez said it best when he said "You don't need to buy the best leg for your table. You need to buy the leg you need for your table."

PRE SEASON

Okay so we've now established who is in our squad and who the key players are. What I'll do next is run you through my first season in charge and what I did. As per usual I start by deciding on a tactic (in this case I used a modified version of Mr Hough’s Complete Dominance tactic) and working out which players will fit in and which players will need replacing. After this I set up my training schemes for the year (I, like a lot of you use Tugs Training for FM10) and replace coaching staff. I like to get the best possible coaches I can regardless of how much it's going to cost me but that's just a personal preference.

With that out of the way I head to the transfer market. After a quick look at my squad I've decided that the defense needs some work. Both full backs are average at best and the tactic I’m using requires them to be much better than they are. Also I’m going to look into bringing in another central defender as I don’t like the look of the on loan Mengoni.

The Midfield looks okay with Bonanni being asked to play in the middle with Dettori. Tognozzi will be playing in just behind them. He’s not a natural defensive midfielder, which grates, but his stats definitely are suited to it. In front of the midfield three I’m playing Verratti, who, while young, is head and shoulders above the competition.

Up front Sasovini is an obvious starter but no one really up to partnering him. I’m hoping to bring in a decent loanee as I doubt I’ll have the funds to buy one.

There is very little money to be made selling players so I’ve only got my transfer budget to really work with. Fortunately it’s around the 800k mark- plenty enough for this league.

The Transfers

Antunes (on loan from Roma)

A bit of a coup this one, didn’t think I had a prayer in getting him in but I suppose he wanted to be a big fish in a little pond. An obvious starter at left back.

Davide Bottone (170k from Torino Reserves)

A solid central midfielder/defensive midfielder. Decent passing and tackling attributes with an amazing 20 for determination. Will walk into this side.

Giommarco Corsino (on loan from Palmero- which is now my parent club)

Seventeen year old right back with fairly rounded stats. Should do the job in this league.

Fabio Borini (on loan from Chelsea)

Would have liked to have brought in some one a little better and experienced but struggled. Hopefully he can chip in with a few goals but I fear I’m relying too much on Sansovini.

Glauber (free transfer)

Wow. I can honestly say I never expected him to agree terms. Great signing and probably the best player in the league. Will hopefully form a decent partnership with Olivi for a few years to come.

This leaves my final squad like this

GK Pinna

LB Antunes

RB Corsino

CB Glauber

CB Olivi

DM Bottone

CM Bonanni

CM Dettori

AM Verratti

ST Sansovini

ST Borini

I’d say I have the best team in the division by some way although I’m wary of the newly relegated Rimini and sleeping giants Verona. It’s mine to lose though I think.

SEASON REVIEW

So my first season at the helm of Pescara Calcio has come to a close. Has it been a success or has my limited managerial experience been exposed? Have the mighty Pescara won promotion or sank without a trace? Will anybody have read this far into my guide or have I wasted half an hour?

Actually it has to be said that the season went much better than I had anticipated. I blitzed the league and won some sort of strange lower league Italian cup. I finished thirteen points ahead of Rimini and scored a credible eighty goals. Many coming from Sansovini but also, surprisingly Borini (who went the first ten games without scoring before ending up on nineteen from thirty-three).

With success though comes unwanted attention from bigger clubs. Sadly Verratti was taken from me for a paltry 375k from the almighty Basel. It was a crying shame as he’d been in terrific form all season and I had high hopes of taking him to the Serie A. Perhaps I’ll look to sign him back in the future. Glauber was the next to go for a much more satisfying 775k. Can’t blame him really as he was obviously far too good for the division, leaving with an average well above 7.5.

The worst thing about the two exits was that they left before the season ended. Verratti in the January transfer window and Glauber a month or two after. I replaced the former with Ariel Montenegro for 100k, which was an astute signing as he managed five goals and eight assists during the rest of the season. Glauber wasn’t replaced as I was confident I had the league pretty much sown up at that point. I was also fortunate enough to land both fullbacks, Antunes and Corsino, on permanant deals from their clubs for a combined amount of 800k. Also Damiano Tommasi was brought in on a free to add experience for the run in to the title.

Roll on Serie B…

SEASON TWO REVIEW

With the majority of the players I began the game still at the club with I'm going to have to strengthen in order to compete in this division. A quick glance at the squad tells me that almost every position could do with an upgrade bar perhaps the fullbacks. Fortunately my lovely chairwoman has been generous with the purse strings, allowing a two and a half million pound budget for new players. This was increased substantially buy selling Bonanni to Piacenza for 1.5 million pounds. He was my player of the season but I figured for that price he was easily replaced. A lot of other players followed him out the door but all were surplus to requirements and wouldn't have got a game this season. Time to enter the transfer market...

Firstly I needed to replace the departed Borini (back to Chelsea) and I think I found a fantastic like-for-like replacement. Yes, I loaned back Borini again! I don't quite think he will be as effective this season in a harder division but he'll provide great back up should he be needed. Next in was attacking midfielder Alen Stevanovic on a free from Inter. Young, well rounded and promising. Had planned on using him as a starter but managed to sign Mourad Meghni from sworn enemies Lazio for 450k. While the fans had their reservations I was stoked as I'd signed the creative spark I needed to support the front two.

My spending wasn't complete though, next to join the mighty Pescara was Giampiero Pinzi on a free. This one time Italian international is set to play as starting defensive midfielder and tutor to the young. At only twenty-nine I'm hoping he'll still be around when we get into Serie A. Next I brought in the very creative Andrea Poli on loan from Sampdoria. He'll complete the midfield four and add what I lost when I sold Verratti; great set pieces.

Still I wasn't quite satisfied with the team. It needed some serious firepower up front and a solid defender to partner Olivi at the back. Lucky for me I found both in what were my two signings of the season. First off Marko Arnautovic came in on loan from Twente (which caused McClaren massive public backlash) and next I managed to bring in Nemanja Pejcinovic from RAD for a cool 1.1 million. These two would soon become my best players.

I brought in a couple more youngsters primarily for back up but managed to stummble upon a young keeper called Carlo Pinsoglio on a free who is now my number one. Stats aren't great but he's been brilliant so far. I have Ivan Pelizzoli coming in on January to help him out too.

THE FUTURE

Well I'm at mid point in season two at the moment and I'm in a respectable third place in the league. Sansovini and Arnautovic are gelling beautifully and scoring up a storm while Pejcinovic is dominating at the back. My only issues are Corsino at right back who hasn't quite developed how I'd like yet and Borini who has played his fair share of games with only a single goal to show for it.

I'm torn whether being promoted to the Serie A would be a good thing at this stage. Part of me likes the challange but I think, deep down, the team isn't quite up to it yet. I'd like more depth and promising youngsters before we hit the big time.

HINTS AND TIPS

If you try to sign Glauber in the first season and he rejects you have a look at the Brazilian Gladstone who is also on a free. He looks the business and was going to sign if Glauber didn't.

Perhaps sell half of Verratti (with you keeping him at the club). Maybe this will allow you to hold onto him for a longer period.

Ask the board to improve the training and youth facilities as they usually comply with at least one of them.

THE END?

Well that pretty much sums up my guide to Pescara Calcio. I hope you gained something from it even if it was laughing at my inability to grasp the English language. I'd also like to add that I don't play this game as a lot of you do. I play this game for realism and immersion and for those two reasons I shy away from buying players who I don't think would sign in real life. Hence I have a huge domestic bias for whichever country I'm managing. So for all of you who ridicule me for bringing in a player like Borini when I could have bought Johnny McAwesome who's ten times better and half the price you're wasting your time.

I apologise for not having any swish logos on this guide. My computer skills only go as far as typing and even then I'm pushing it. Anyways you shouldn't

be picking your team on what their logos look like!

Quick thanks to Tug for providing me with really decent training templates. I'd recommend them to anyone and everyone.

Also thanks to Mr Hough for his fantastic 4-1-2-1-2 formation. For someone who craves realism this was a godsend.

Finally huge thanks to Sports Interactive for making a brilliant if horribly addictive game.

Excellent post dude! And your English is great! No need to worry there. We share the same philosophy in that we shy away from buying players who our clubs wouldn’t sign in real life. I’m the same.

I haven’t had the guts to go down and manage in Serie C yet. I currently got 2 saves going with Livorno and Parma so I might have choose Pescara next!

Good luck in B :)

DELFINO PESCARA 1936

Anyways you shouldn't

be picking your team on what their logos look like!

Awesome post, and I singled out this comment b/c ironically that's exactly the reason why I've thought about starting a game with them in the past! Just think it's funny b/c dolphins aren't fish now are they? Anyway, will definitely be starting a game with them here within the next week or so.

Awesome post, and I singled out this comment b/c ironically that's exactly the reason why I've thought about starting a game with them in the past! Just think it's funny b/c dolphins aren't fish now are they? Anyway, will definitely be starting a game with them here within the next week or so.

END OF SEASON TWO

After a slump just after Christmas that had my team languishing mid table I had assumed promotion was a no go. Probably a good thing as the squad was no where near Serie A level yet. Sansovini and Arnautovic were still banging in goals but I couldn't seem to hold on to a lead. With little depth I was forced to keep playing what I had. Fortunately my faith was repaid with a late surge in the season which left me in fifth spot and games against Bari and Empoli in the playoffs. At this point my team were firing on all cylinders, Meghni was absolutely unplayable scoring some amazing goals and creating a huge amount of chances. My defense had picked up their game and were not letting in soft goals like early in the season either. Promotion was now a real possibility.

In the first leg, home against Bari, we continued our unstoppable form beating them 5-2 with Arnautovic scoring a stunning hat trick. The return leg was a nervous affair which we just managed to scrape through going down 2-0 but winning on aggregate. We'd face Empoli in the final who'd disposed of favourites Chievo with ease. Empoli had inflicted two losses on me during the season with Mchelidze and Eder running my defenders ragged. While I was torn on whether or not I wanted to be promoted, I have to say, I wanted some vengeance.

It ended 2-2. We battled hard but in the end were lucky to come away with the draw. Eder's pace once again destroyed us and the return leg away was going to be the hardest match of the season with a win most likely required. Matters were made worse by our Chairwoman agreeing to sell one of our best players right before the game. Antunes moving to Ajax for, admittedly a decent return, of 3.1 million pounds. I liked the 2.7 million profit but I certainly didn't like the timing. Fortunately our loan players had finished their spell and were back at the club, this included a promising young left back by the name of Tabacco. He'd play his only game of the season in the play-off final.

Serie B leading scorer Arnautovic opened the scoring in only the second minute with a diving header from a Meghni cross. Things got even better in the 42 minute as Empoli and former Italian defender Legrottaglie was sent off for a last man foul on Sansovini. Despite the dominance in possession and player advantage Empoli equalized in first half injury time. Pozzi was given too much room and fired in a low drive past Pelizzoli. The second half was extremely tight with next to no chances. The half dragged on, players tiring, chances still not coming. 93rd minute a free kick was awarded to us 30 yards out. Poli steps up, takes his time, and smashes in a rocket of a free kick top corner. We win 4-3 on Aggregate and will be plying our trade in the Serie A next season.

SEASON THREE

My team was obviously going to need some serious upgrading if I had any chance to stay in the Serie A and this was helped by the 30 million (this seems waaaay toom much in my opinion) dished out by my chairwoman. While the tempatation was there to bring in a couple of really big name players (I came very close to bringing in Defederico for 15 million) I decided to play it low-risk and look for bargains.

Michel Morganella (1 million from Palermo)

Right back I'd signed the season before finally joins the club. Young with pace to burn. He'd be competiting with Corsino.

Guiseppe Biava (on loan from Genoa)

Experienced centre back. Will mainly be used for cover but I'd have no issues starting him.

Ritchie Kitoko (signed from Udinese and AC Milan for a combined cost of 800k)

Absolutely amazing physical skills. Will be my starting defensive midfielder. In my eyes a great bargain. Time will tell...

Ricardo Oliviera (1 million from Al-jazeera)

Experienced striker. Took a huge pay cut and cost very little. Should hopefully lead the line for my first season in the top flight.

Marco Verratti (5 million from Basel)

The prodigal son returns.

Marco Andreolli (free)

Absolute bargain. Will start next to Pejcinovic.

I also signed Arnautovic on a free and a couple of promising regens. I'd like to bring in a starting left back but other than that I'm happy with what I've got. To make way for Verratti I sold the in-demand Meghni for a tidy 5 million and aside for a few reserve players no one else was sold.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My transfers are done. First in was Uruguayan veteran midfielder Marcelo Tejera on a free, who looks excellent for this level. Next was Italian left back Angleo Raso from Bellinzona for £100k, who is better than both my current left backs. Then midfielder Andrea Tricarico from Salernitana for £30k. Young right back Andrea Torno joined from AC Milan for £5k, to back up my current right backs. Then gained Palermo as a parent club, who sent me midfielder Guido Davi, and I also snapped up striker Marco Giovio on loan for the season.

The my best transfer, which I was not expecting to work, the 2 year co-ownership of AC Milan's Gianmarco Zigoni, an 18 year old striker with huge potential, and at £230k, a bargain.

I only sold one player, Emanuele Sembroni.

Glad to see you guys playing as Pescara. Probably one of my favourite saves until I was given ridiculous sums of money.

Quick hint, if you're playing on 10.3 make an enquiry for Sampdoria's Fiorillo (he's currently on loan at Reggina). You should be able to pick him up for less than 50k which is amazing considering his potential.

I've almost finished my 1st season, and I am in the Playoffs :(

After Sansovini started the season with 9 goals in 9 games, he only notched 1 more goal throughout the rest of the season. Zigoni however stepped up and scored 19. Verratti was next best with 12. Zigoni will become legendary for me, I can just tell.

These may not be accurate stats, I am just firing up FM to find out, will edit soon.

Yeah, 2 games left of the season, I'm 5th on 57, and the team below is on 52, so I should get into the playoffs.

I am also playing with Pescara, I have just started the 8th season. They are a great sleeping giant, because al the sponsors you got. When you get better you get more money. I have been champions for 2 times and I have won the Champions League 2 times. I really enjoy this save.

Play off semi final first leg

Pescara 5-3 Virtus Lanciano

Romito x3 (:D, he's a centre back), Sansovini, Verratti

Playoff semi final 2nd leg

Virtus Lanciano 0-1 Pescara

Sansovini

Play Off Final 1st Leg

Pescara 3-3 Ravenna

Romito, Giovio, Verratti

Play Off Final 2nd Leg

Ravenna 3-1 Pescara

Verratti

Ravenna were lucky to have Ciro Immobile, who scored all 6 goals over both legs.

Fell at the last hurdle :(:(

Signed Luca Caldirola and Joel Chukwuma Obi on frees after being released by Inter Milan.

The rest of my season 2 transfers are as following.

Andrea Mengoni - Free

Daniele Pedrelli - Free

Matteo Darmian - Free

Cody Arnoux - Free

Edgar Cani - Loan

Nelson Rivas - Free

Ciro Immobile - £550k Co-Ownership

Steve Pinau - £28k loan.

Unfortunately, I didn't understand the Co-Ownership rule, and lost Zigoni back to AC Milan, so made a move for Immobile, after ending our promotion push last season.

• 1 year later...

bumping an old thread but no current one exists.

started a new game with Pescara on FM12 as ive always been a fan of Verratti and wanted to try and build a team around him.

Pescara are sitting in Seria B in the latest game and although predicted 18th have a decent enough squad, a surprising amount of cash and some great parent clubs to take players in off loan.

Taking the pre season objective of avoid relegation you get a healthy transfer budget around the 1mil £ mark and a wage budget of about 150k. with you currently only shelling out around 50k you can adjust the budgets to get a net budget of around 4mil! not too shabby for a second division team.

Parent clubs in Juventus and Fiorentina also enable you to get some decent yougsters in on loan.

im about 5 games into season 1 now and havnt not lost and got a meorable Itallian cup win over Seria A team Catania.

Luckily the only offers i got for Verratti in the transfer window were co-ownership ones which i was able to stave off. soem notable additions are Rafael Tolio at the back for about 1.6mil and Daniel Kofi-Agyei (sp) for 1mil.

Looking forward to playing more tonight. Anyone else playing as them?

Archived