Quad Core................

Originally posted by FMTopFan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulC:

The real benefit of threading in FM comes when you run leagues with matches in full detail....are any of you Quad core users doing that?

Didn't think of that, thanks PaulC icon_smile.gif At least you can change the levels during the game. Something to get the use of my QX6700!

Just checked my game Detail Level. I'm not running all leagues in full detail but here's the info:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>*Worldwide Club: (Later Stages).

*Europe (Later Stages): Champions League (Main Stages); UEFA Cup (Later Stages); Inter-Toto Cup (Later Stages); Super Cup (Later Stages).

*England (Mixed: Premiership (All); FA Cup (Main Stages); others are all on None.

*Italy (Mixed): Serie A: (All); others are all on None.

*Spain (Later Stages): La Liga (All); Copa del Rey (Main Stages); Supercopa (Later Stages); Federation Cup (Later Stages); Under 19s (None).

*World Cup (Mixed): Fifw World Cup (All); Fifa World Cup Quals. EUR (Main Stages); others are all on None.

*International(Mixed): African Cup of Nations (Later Stages); Asian Cup (Later Stages); European Championship (Later Stages); Euro Championship Quals (Main Stages); OCE Nations Cup (Later Stages); Copa America (Later Stages); Confederations Cup (Later Stages); U20 World Cup (Later Stages); UEFA U21 Championship (Later Stages); others are all on None.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't listen to a QPR supporter icon_wink.gif

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bigdirtyjames:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by frogface:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by frogface:

I have £400 to spend on a new hard drive - can this buy me a quad core system?

I am not the best when it comes to computers - so any advice will be great.

I currently have

2.8 ghz intel pentium 4

2gig ram

60gb hard drive

or if my system is ok for now then I can keep saving if £400 is not enough to buy a quad core </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends.

If you're running just a small to medium database and a few leagues - your system will probably cope enough.

If you're looking to run everything - you should upgrade or just buy a new computer. The problem with upgrading is that you may need to change your motherboard, memory etc - then what is the point in doing all that and keeping it in an old case, so maybe you should pay that little bit extra and go the whole hog.

If you're already playing a game, maybe you should just keep saving your money untill FM'09 comes out, and then you can start off with a new computer.

It's really your call. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for your advice - I have seen this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUAD-CORE-2-Q6600-2GB-DDR2-320-GB...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it seems a good price - is this much better than my spec

Originally posted by frogface:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bigdirtyjames:

I currently have

2.8 ghz intel pentium 4

2gig ram

60gb hard drive

or if my system is ok for now then I can keep saving if £400 is not enough to buy a quad core </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends.

If you're running just a small to medium database and a few leagues - your system will probably cope enough.

If you're looking to run everything - you should upgrade or just buy a new computer. The problem with upgrading is that you may need to change your motherboard, memory etc - then what is the point in doing all that and keeping it in an old case, so maybe you should pay that little bit extra and go the whole hog.

If you're already playing a game, maybe you should just keep saving your money untill FM'09 comes out, and then you can start off with a new computer.

it seems a good price - is this much better than my spec </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems like a nice Machine.

The only problem would usually be that it's a lot of money to pay on Ebay, but the guy's own feedback is 99% - so why not.

Make sure you use paypal - goodluck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bigdirtyjames:

I currently have

2.8 ghz intel pentium 4

2gig ram

60gb hard drive

It depends.

it seems a good price - is this much better than my spec </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems like a nice Machine.

The only problem would usually be that it's a lot of money to pay on Ebay, but the guy's own feedback is 99% - so why not.

Make sure you use paypal - goodluck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes I think I am going to get it - why not

new patch

new machine to play it on!!

thanks for your help

ok so it is a bargain

they do the same system but with 4gb of ram instead of 2 gb for an extra £100 - do you think its worth the extra money or is 2gb enough?

Hmmm.

It's a close one. I was going to say no - just leave it, but i've been thinking of pushing my RAM up to 4gb, not that I need it mind you, but just in case.

It's your call, and it's pretty simple to do yourself if you'd prefer to wait for a while and the (Ram) price goes down. You could always save the money and get yourself Microsoft Office or something like that.

ok so it is a bargain

they do the same system but with 4gb of ram instead of 2 gb for an extra £100 - do you think its worth the extra money or is 2gb enough?

Hmmm.

It's a close one. I was going to say no - just leave it, but i've been thinking of pushing my RAM up to 4gb, not that I need it mind you, but just in case.

It's your call, and it's pretty simple to do yourself if you'd prefer to wait for a while and the (Ram) price goes down. You could always save the money and get yourself Microsoft Office or something like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes you are right I can always add the extra if I need it - probably wond do though the system should be more than adequate for my needs.

Will be a shame to put my old system to rest - we have been through alot together over the last 7 years!!

waiting now for the new quad Cpu's but good to read they seem to help out running the game.

By May hope to have Quad Core and 10MBs Virgin BB to help with the old Clan game....

I'm not convinced spending a fortune on a quad is worth the investment ..

Unless you are using the machine to compile a lot of bins from src or encoding video etc.

FM 2008 threading is so lame it doesn't justify the outlay ..

I mean, even with max detail on several leagues you aren't going to see 100% core utilisation for more than 20% of the game experience.

Originally posted by gubbs:

I'm not convinced spending a fortune on a quad is worth the investment ..

Unless you are using the machine to compile a lot of bins from src or encoding video etc.

FM 2008 threading is so lame it doesn't justify the outlay ..

I mean, even with max detail on several leagues you aren't going to see 100% core utilisation for more than 20% of the game experience.

I have no idea mate - just know I had £400 to spend on a new tower - I have spent it and I am hoping for the best - lol

Hehe wasn't suggesting you aren't getting a damn nice PC. Just that I don't think FM takes real advantage of it.

In fact I only know of two games that use threading currently on the market ..

UT and FEAR ..

I spent £300 on a AMD x2 4000+, 2gb of ram and a mobo psu etc last month.

So £400 for a quad sounds good.

Originally posted by gubbs:

Hehe wasn't suggesting you aren't getting a damn nice PC. Just that I don't think FM takes real advantage of it.

In fact I only know of two games that use threading currently on the market ..

UT and FEAR ..

I spent £300 on a AMD x2 4000+, 2gb of ram and a mobo psu etc last month.

So £400 for a quad sounds good.

yep I hope it does the job and lasts me a good few years just like my old faithful has.

Quad cost £383 inc delivery so I am hoping its a bargain

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

TBH you couldn't build one retail and ship it for that price.

Just hope it arrives now!!!!

£383 is cheap if it comes and more importantly works

very expensive if the item doesnt turn up or turns up but doesnt work - lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok quad core arrived this morning - however without no operating system!

After scouting arount I found a supplier that offers vista premium for £70 so need to wait for that to arrive now before I can post comment on the new system

That takes the total spend to £453

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

very expensive if the item doesnt turn up or turns up but doesnt work - lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After scouting arount I found a supplier that offers vista premium for £70 so need to wait for that to arrive now before I can post comment on the new system

That takes the total spend to £453 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have MSM?

mrgubbs@hotmail.com

Maybe give you some software tips to get the best out of it. icon_wink.gif

Guest orfordlee

I Have just brought a new desktop from dell 4gb ram 2.66 DUAL core processor 250 gb HDD. Im Playing with 6 Countries and about 15 or 16 different leauges on a large db and im having no trouble with any speed or lag issues.

Originally posted by FMTopFan:

I'm wondering - now that I have 8Gb of PC2-6400 RAM - would it run faster running ALL leagues or does it not using this much RAM to running so many leagues?

Hope your on Vista 64 Bit... otherwise you do realise 32 bit systems are limited to the fact it can only use 3.5GB. And I guess as your playing a game your not. icon_eek.gif

That’s why on my new system I’m only going with 4GB and even then I'm only getting 3.5Gb use.

My quadcore comes tomorrow, shame really as I ordered it yesterday to be delivered today, last time I order from Overclockers tbh, regular occurance. icon_frown.gif Back to Ebuyer.

I ordered a Q6600 with an Abit motherboard, 2Gb of OCZ RAM and a big cooler thing, with a guide to overclock it from 2.4Ghz to 3.3Ghz.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-101-OK

Is the link if anyone is considering buying one, all you'd need is a case, a power supply and a graphics card.

In theory that's 13.2Ghz of raw processing power. :O

Some people have overclocked it to 3.6Ghz and 4.0Ghz but anything over 3.3Ghz can be unstable if you have over 2Gb RAM and would require a 12 hour stress test to make sure the system is totally stable. Some people have reached temperatures of 100+ when trying such a stress test though.

Although, with good enough cooling you should be able to get below 65 which tbh I reckon is the absolute safe limit to not damage your processor.

I've heard some people's Q6600's idling at 19! Just gotta ensure a good airflow.

I'll report back my findings on Friday night or Saturday morning depending on how much FM sucks me in. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by trekman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have £400 to spend on a new hard drive - can this buy me a quad core system?

I very much doubt it. I looked at various sites and the cheapest quad core system I could see was for £600.

You might be able to get a quad core processor for your current maching assuming the motherboard can take it. Looking on the manufacturers website should answer this for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

erm... i got my oem version at 160? Q6600 works fine all u need is a £30 fan/heatsink and ur sorted

Originally posted by Neil Roberts:

I have a quad core pc overclocked running at 3.2mhz, 4gb ram on visa 64bit and FM uses all four cores according to the vista gadget that shows the core & ram useage.

vista, aswell as it also saying.. 4gig ram.. GIVE ME MORE!!!! FEED MEEEEE lol

xp ftw always

Ah, sorry to hear that. Can someone not lend you their vista copy, and then when yours comes - key in the registration code of your own version?

I've been waiting all week for your post. Damn icon_wink.gif

Got E6300 (1.8gz overclocked to 3.1gz,better than E6850 hehe) 2Gb PC5300 and 4GB Readyboost, Vista Home Prem.

Ive loaded up huge database:

Arg,Brazil,Belguim,France,Germany,Portugal,Spain,USA,S.Africa,Mexico,Holland<scotland and England.

Poss missed a few out of there, run the top 2 leagues for each country except scotland n england where run them all.

I then load all players from all Scandinavian Countrys and other Euro leagues.

Game runs nice n smoothly, alot better than previous versions, and new games load a hell of alot quicker.

Im very happy with it

Ah, sorry to hear that. Can someone not lend you their vista copy, and then when yours comes - key in the registration code of your own version?

I've been waiting all week for your post. Damn icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vista arrived today so will play fm over the weekend after finishing work today and report back!

Ok played my new quad core 2 6680 at the weekend for the first time and it made a maiive difference to the speed of the game - I used to play 4 nations 7 leagues and this time I played 20 odd countries and about 40 ish leagues and the game ran much quicker than when I had 7 leagues - incredible.

I would advise anyone thinking of upgrading to do it because a quad core should be able to cope with the most demanding of games for years to come

Ok played my new quad core 2 6680 at the weekend for the first time and it made a maiive difference to the speed of the game - I used to play 4 nations 7 leagues and this time I played 20 odd countries and about 40 ish leagues and the game ran much quicker than when I had 7 leagues - incredible.

I would advise anyone thinking of upgrading to do it because a quad core should be able to cope with the most demanding of games for years to come

Good man. Glad it's going well.

I was just happy that the maych engine ran properly on my new computer - as it took a 1/2 hour for the old engine to run at its quickest.

Glad it all worked out well Frogface icon14.gif

Looks like i am going to have to hit my credit card now. Has anyone on these boards had dealings with pc specialist as i am thinking of getting a custom stack built by them.

hi all, great thread. buying a PC for me always revolves around how quickly i can play FM! lol

I've bought the following and am awaiting its delivery. its not a quad core but its a dual core penryn laptop

https://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NNB-597

could anyone tell me how it is likely to far on FM. how many divisions/leagues i could run on medium database (i like to zip along in FM and knock out a season every 8-12 hours playing time.

cheers guys. (reading this thread im kind of wishing i had waited for the quad core laptops (rock etc)) I really hope i havent made a misktake!

Originally posted by valencia:

hi all, great thread. buying a PC for me always revolves around how quickly i can play FM! lol

I've bought the following and am awaiting its delivery. its not a quad core but its a dual core penryn laptop

could anyone tell me how it is likely to far on FM. how many divisions/leagues i could run on medium database (i like to zip along in FM and knock out a season every 8-12 hours playing time.

cheers guys. (reading this thread im kind of wishing i had waited for the quad core laptops (rock etc)) I really hope i havent made a misktake!

Not to sure Valencia as a quick speed for one person is slow for another, but that laptop is pretty damn fine so i am sure it will run a fair few at quick speeds.

Wish i had that sort of money to spend icon_frown.gif

Anyway when you get it update this thread on how well it does icon14.gif

Originally posted by bod1035:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by valencia:

Not to sure Valencia as a quick speed for one person is slow for another, but that laptop is pretty damn fine so i am sure it will run a fair few at quick speeds.

Wish i had that sort of money to spend icon_frown.gif

Anyway when you get it update this thread on how well it does icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(thats what credit cards are for!) icon_wink.gif

the new penryn processors are getting good reviews, so im hoping i can run between 30 and 40 Divisions (not leagues!) and get through a season in about 8 hours. i've found i lose interest if it takes much longer than that (on my old system it took me 24 hours game time to get through a season with around 30 divisions running - the girlfriend was not amused!)

Archived