New Unique Awesome Defensive System

Thats right i believe i have come up with a truly effective defensive system that is totally unique from anything you have seen before on these forums and no doubt anywhere else.

What it does is negate the need for a defensive midfielder, only employs one centre back yet is fantastically effective against pacey strikers. Your probably thinking at this point that i'm totally mad right?, haha you could be right but please bear with me.

You have probably seen the WM System on these forums and this is kinda inspired by that but is somewhat different.

When playing FM10 i have always favored an attack minded approach, often giving the opposition some clear cut opportunities during a match against me, though easily outmatching them with attacking flair.

I wanted to cut down significantly the amount of clear cut chances the opposition had, with this new system i went 7 games straight without conceding a clear cut opportunity (and this was using players not used to the system yet), this included games away to Arsenal, Chelsea and Barcelona. NICE Huh!!!!

So how did i do this your probably wondering?, well i have always been a fan of the sweeper / libero player but never been able to implement this in FM10 or any other FM effectively (there also isn't too many quality sweepers in the game).

Okay i'm using a sweeper, nothing unusual, strange or unique there right?, yes true enough, but heres the unique part: im using a Sweeper AND a Libero together in conjunction. Along with just the one Centre Back.

Example shown below (do not pay attention to the attacking players, in this example they are irrelevent):

dualliberosweepersystem.png

Now for many of you, your interest has probably been lost but let me elaborate further.

To make this effective you need to play the highest defensive line you have, your two sweepers need good pace, aceleration, heading, tackling, positioning, concentration and reasonable passing (now i know there are not too many good sweepers in the game but any CB, FB, DMC with the above stats can be re-trained to play Sweeper effectively).

Also set your team to Zonal marking.

My centre back also has good tackling, pace and heading.

In regards the full backs / wingbacks you can play them in either full back or wingback position but because you have three defenders anyways they can be set on support instruction or attack without too much trouble.

The left Sweeper is your Libero with Support instruction, when your team is in posession he will step into midfield giving an extra passing option making the team keep posession better. This means there is no need for a defensive midfielder.

The right Sweeper is a Sweeper with a defend option, he will sit behind and mop up anything that comes his way.

Heres a run down of player instructions:

GOALKEEPER: SWEEPER KEEPER / ATTACK

LEFT LIBERO / SUPPORT

RIGHT SWEEPER / DEFEND

CENTRE BACK / STOPPER

FULLBACKS/WINGBACKS / SUPPORT OR ATTACK OR AUTO

You could if you wanted to compensate for your left Libero being more attack minded you could put your left fullback in the left back position with support duty whilst your right full back could be a wingback with support or attack duty. Non Symmetrical formations work well in this years FM.

Heres a defensive template below:

http://www.zshare.net/download/687032624783135b/

Now the full backs can play in wingback positions, the attack is just something i put together in a previous tactic, may or may not work but its the defensive element we are looking at here.

Also please note, depending on the pace of your defenders you may want to lower or higher the defensive line. You may have to test to see what works best for you BUT you need to have a high defensive line otherwise there will be too much space between your defense and attack.

Your comments and thoughts please.

well ive tested with Real Madrid, Spurs, Man City, Valencia, Betis, Deportivo, Zenit, CSKA Moscow, West Ham and Everton.

In regards to your offense, your only using the same amount of players as a back four and a DMC, so you have plenty enough players left to make it offensively effective, and you can have your fullbacks / wingbacks attacking or supporting the attack if you wish so potentially you can have a very effective attack also.

I'm just talking about the defensive setup here and not a whole tactic, but by employing this defensive system you still have plenty of options left to set the rest of your team up.

well ive tested with Real Madrid, Spurs, Man City, Valencia, Betis, Deportivo, Zenit, CSKA Moscow, West Ham and Everton.

In regards to your offense, your only using the same amount of players as a back four and a DMC, so you have plenty enough players left to make it offensively effective, and you can have your fullbacks / wingbacks attacking or supporting the attack if you wish so potentially you can have a very effective attack also.

I'm just talking about the defensive setup here and not a whole tactic, but by employing this defensive system you still have plenty of options left to set the rest of your team up.

i've actully benn thinking about applying a sweeper/ libero myself as it clear says that they are there to break-up clearchances and well how good does that sound

defo be intrested in your tactic

i've actully benn thinking about applying a sweeper/ libero myself as it clear says that they are there to break-up clearchances and well how good does that sound

defo be intrested in your tactic

i'm gonna set this up in my tactic and see where it gets me

Intersting concept. Yes you are mad. But its so crazy it just might work!

ITS ALIVE!!!!

i have tried it for a few games and i think it does work, need to get the balance right because i think pushing right up will leave gaps at the back (from what i've seen anyway)

Sounds very interesting indeed - if correct!

Put a dummy tactic out - then we can play with the rest of the setup and see what works best... leaving the defensive side in place.

Who would you leave in place... according to your screenshot would it be the 2 x DC's & DM?

You mean the two sweepers and centre back? yes leave these in place

i have tried it for a few games and i think it does work, need to get the balance right because i think pushing right up will leave gaps at the back (from what i've seen anyway)

maybe lower the defensive line slightly, but the system definately works.

I would say the key is adjusting the defensive line depending on the pace of your defenders.

maybe lower the defensive line slightly, but the system definately works.

I would say the key is adjusting the defensive line depending on the pace of your defenders.

would you be able to put a template up of how the defence shouls be I.E closing down passing stuff like that?

Heres a defensive template below:

http://www.zshare.net/download/687032624783135b/

Now the full backs can play in wingback positions, the attack is just something i put together in a previous tactic, may or may not work but its the defensive element we are looking at here.

Also please note, depending on the pace of your defenders you may want to lower or higher the defensive line. You may have to test to see what works best for you BUT you need to have a high defensive line otherwise there will be too much space between your defense and attack.

Okay update guys, after further testing the ideal setup is as follows: (slightly changed from previously)

SWEEPER KEEPER / ATTACK

SWEEPER / DEFEND

SWEEPER / DEFEND

LEFT BACK / SUPPORT

RIGHT BACK / SUPPORT

CENTRAL DEFENDER / STOPPER

Combine this with:

CENTRE MIDFIELD / DEEP LYING PLAYMAKER / SUPPORT

This links the defence and midfield up effectively.

What you do with the remaining players is your decision, but this as a defensive unit is very good.

FURTHER POINTS TO REMEMBER:

Set defensive line to first notch of push up on slider.

Do not play Offside Trap.

Do not play Counter Attack.

Set width team width to last notch of Normal.

Team closing Down on Default setting.

Okay update guys, after further testing the ideal setup is as follows: (slightly changed from previously)

SWEEPER KEEPER / ATTACK

SWEEPER / DEFEND

SWEEPER / DEFEND

LEFT BACK / SUPPORT

RIGHT BACK / SUPPORT

Combine this with:

What you do with the remaining players is your decision, but this as a defensive unit is very good.

im interested in trying this on my game as it sounds like it will give me a decent defence at the same time as allowing me to keep 2 strikers up top with AMR & AML also.

one question though with the updated set up. should i have the fullbacks now as DR & DL instead of WBR & WBL?

also do you choose these using the tactics creator and if so do you change any of the default settings for these players (long shots, through balls etc)

im interested in trying this on my game as it sounds like it will give me a decent defence at the same time as allowing me to keep 2 strikers up top with AMR & AML also.

one question though with the updated set up. should i have the fullbacks now as DR & DL instead of WBR & WBL?

also do you choose these using the tactics creator and if so do you change any of the default settings for these players (long shots, through balls etc)

Default settings for the players, i use full backs (DR & DL) with support option.

Can you post some defensive record screenies/stats etc? Thanks.

SWEEPER KEEPER / ATTACK

SWEEPER / DEFEND

SWEEPER / DEFEND

LEFT BACK / SUPPORT

RIGHT BACK / SUPPORT

Combine this with:

I played it like this for 5 games. I used the original form with 2 sweepers (sweeper&libero) and a DC in front. My fullbacks are set on: 1. suport 2. automatick.

I play with Man UTD (i know every player so it's easier for me to tweak tactics, when i know every player's stats and best position on field).

After 5 games: 2-0;2-0;2-0;2-2;4-1. The draw was made in CL. The teams I played are not important. What is important is, I had previous to this a very good tactic (own creation), which won me almost all games (previous season). The problem was... i scored a lot 4-5/game (rooney had 50 goals on 43 matches), BUT ... i also received A LOT. At the end of the season i was about... for every 10 goals scored, 8 received. So I was not happy. So I bought some defenders and full backs (my own filter was set for every position on the field, i wasn't interested in PA and CA, coz' this doesn't help you much, when you are looking for a specific player; but i was interested in having players with stats above 15 in certain areas)

After I got 4 dc's and fb's ... this tactic helped me considerably. I mean I can see a drop in goals scored but also a very strong impact on my received goals. 3 goals in 5 matches is enormous improvement (2 were from corner anyways... and 1 match was on CL ... so lots of emotional involved there).

I enjoy better FM when I do not receive goals. I mean I love to see my ST and FC receive the golden boot or Footballer of the Year... but i prefer to concede as few goals as possible. Clean sheets make me a lot more happier.

The good results may come from also setting a good tactic all around. I mean I play with 1 MC 2 Wingers (AMR/L) and 2 Strikers. The MC is set on deep lying playmaker set on support (Fletcher, who isn't the best midfielder in the game, but it works wonder with the whole tactic), the wingers are set one on support (the side with the fullback set on support also...so it can cover the midfield area, when my fullback drops to help defenders - right side) and the other one in left position it's set on automatic so it can choose if there is a need for another defender (4th or even 5th with the one on the right side) or to go to an attack when my AML goes to the center of the field in order to position himself. (there my AML is set to advanced playmaker with support .. so it can help the strikers, or to go a little behind when Evra chooses to go way up on the field). THe 2 strikers are set: one on Complete Forward with Attack (i want to have a true forward that can score- Rooney of course <<although i know that's not the way in real life...but that is my opinion on his role>>) and the other one on TargetMan with support (obviously i like him to receive balls... being a target man... but i want him to hold that ball and to pass it to FC or to AMR/L when he feels he cannot go for goal)- Berbatov of course (main reason: he is tall, so i can play with show onto feet or head, and shoutorders pass into space or pass to feet)

Archived