FM08 For Club and Country Challenge

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Gilbster:

Edit for above, I meant to name that link Profile. It should be a screenshot of my profile. And yes, I did choose the nationality of the league and not my real nationality for this challenge.

i think i might go for Holland as well, although i may go for one of the "better" teams if you like. this i might also be Dutch....

Originally posted by happy slappy:

Let me get one thing straight, if say I am managing Cambridge City and got them to Coca Cola League 2 and then got offered the Ipswich job, am I allowed to take it and then try and use them to try and do the club part of the challenge?

Correct. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by happy slappy:

Let me get one thing straight, if say I am managing Cambridge City and got them to Coca Cola League 2 and then got offered the Ipswich job, am I allowed to take it and then try and use them to try and do the club part of the challenge?

Correct. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome!

icon_biggrin.gif

i've decided to 'go Dutch' and, after debating going with ADO Den Haag, i have gone for the wonderfully named "FC Omniworld"

Information

Initial Squad

i have promised the board a top half finish, and a transfer fund of approx £200k should hopefully help. that and a partnership with Ajax....

the adventure begins.

Good luck to all. icon14.gif

Loving your manager name rlips. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm still in pre-season with my Melbourne Victory side and am currently trying to sign a few aging veterans from Europe, a couple of mention are Vastic, and Roar Strand.

Gilbster - 2007/08 Update - TOP, Dutch First Division

Interesting first season of this challenge. I picked the team TOP Oss, to give them their full name, because I thought it would be amusing to take TOP to the top.

I had a fairly strong team handed to me, and brought in a few new faces, including a good goalie.

I do though have a wage budget that is too low for the amount of players I have. I will need to work on reducing it in the next season or so.

Was happy with the performance in the Dutch Cup. We got to the 4th Round and lost to De Graafschap in a penalty shootout.

League wise we finished 3 points away from the playoff zone.

League Table

Goals for next season:

Reduce wage budget

Strenghen my defence a bit

Sign 1 more striker

Try and finish higher than I did this season

Thats true Quacky. Definitely need to sort the wage budget out. I have just been offered a smaller wage budget than the previous season, so will now be even further in debt. Have a feeling I will have to lose good players, and rebuild completely over the next few years.

Originally posted by Quacky:

You should really scrub finish higher from that list Gilbster. The nacompetitie is so stupid you can qualify for promotion while finishing last in the league icon_biggrin.gif

Apparently winning the first 6 games of the season also gives you a playoff place!

The fact that I need to go to bed in a few mins is blatantly going to break that winning streak, so thought may as well break it completely by posting here first!

I am 21k over my wage budget still, with the board really not happy about it.

I also have signed no new players this season, have sold with sellon clauses some of my youngsters, and have promoted a few others.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to persuade overpaid players to take a wage cut, I'd appreciate knowing.

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

i've decided to 'go Dutch' and, after debating going with ADO Den Haag, i have gone for the wonderfully named "FC Omniworld"

Information

Initial Squad

i have promised the board a top half finish, and a transfer fund of approx £200k should hopefully help. that and a partnership with Ajax....

the adventure begins.

just a quick note to say that this game might well be going on hold a little while, due to my success with Como and how much fun i am having, over on the JoseRR small club from big country challenge.....

i will be back though, and will keep my eye on the thread as usual.

Ok, just thought I'd post a little preview of my Australian journey to stardom (hopefully). icon_wink.gif

I've gone for Melbourne Victory in the Hyundai A-League in Australia. The league itself is Australia's premier soccer league and has only been up and running for a handful of seasons recently. Victory are predicted by the media to finish 1st, so there is no time to build as the Board and the Fans expect success this season. The way the league works isn't at all like your 'run of the mill' top flight league oh no. It consists of 8 clubs; Adelaide United, Central Coast Mariners, Melbourne Victory, Newcastle Jets, Perth Glory, Queensland Roar, Sydney FC and the New Zealand club Wellington Phoenix.

Quoted from wiki; "The top four-ranked teams at the end of the regular season are entered into a finals series based on the Page playoff system, where the first round of matches consists of two legs (with ties decided by the away goals rule). The top two ranked teams play the Major Semi-Final, with the winner progressing straight to and hosting the Grand Final. On the same weekends, the third and fourth ranked teams contest the Minor Semi-Final, which sees the losing side eliminated whilst the winner plays off against the loser of the Major Semi-Final in the Preliminary Final the following weekend. The winner of this match also progresses to the Grand Final, the winner of which becomes A-League Champions. As of the 2006 — 07 season, this team will also contest the AFC Champions League, although if the team that wins the Premiership goes through to Grand Final then the runners-up in the Grand Final are awarded the second spot in the competition, win or lose."

There are numerous restrictions in Australia also; You are only allowed a maximum squad size of 23! Minimum of 2 under 20 players, Minimum of 2 Gk's in the squad, maximum of 4 foreign players and finally their is a salary cap. There you go not too complicated now is it. icon_biggrin.gif

Now what Victory players would you of heard of maybe? Well the former Wolves Defender (and hot head) Kevin Muscat is the best known imo, closely followed by former Man City forward Danny Allsopp. The only player I've managed to sign so far is 17yo Aram Khalili who is a Norwegian striker. icon_cool.gif

We are just about to kicko off the regular season as I type, so it's make or break time...

kingrooney - 2007/08 Update - Queretaro, Mexican First Division A

The first season is over in Mexico. An intresting one as Mexico has a Unique League structure and Outcomes.

The First half of the season is classed as the opening stage where the League is split into two groups, Group 1 and Group 2. I was selected to play in group 2. The top four teams in each goup qualify for the champions playoff.

Opening Stage Group 2

A good start to the league only just qualifying for the champions play off on goal difference. So into the Champions Playoff where the winner faces the winner of the champions playoff from the closing stage of the league. Playoffs are over twolegs home and away.

Opening Champions Playoff

So didnt get past the first hurdle lost in the quarters. Always another chance. So onto the second half of the season.

Closing Stage Group 2

So won my group with only one loss, much improved from the first half of the season and hopefully a better chance in the playoffs.

I progressed throught to the final with some solid displays and into the final

Champions Playoff Final

After a win in the champions playoff final i get to play in the promotion playoff to see who gets prometed.

after two very entertaining legs this is how it ended Promotion Playoff

I won and got Promoted

Gilbster - 2008/09 Update- TOP, Dutch First Division

Great start to the season, saw TOP winning the first 6 games of the season and guaranteeing themself a playoff place already. Seems to be a system of 6 periods in Holland where the winner I think of each period gets into the playoffs.

The team then had some runs of mixed form and eventually ended up in 5th place in the table.

I dont fully understand the playoff system in Holland since, it doesnt appear to be on aggregate.

1st Round Playoffs:

RBC 0-1 TOP

TOP 2-1 RBC

2nd Round Playoffs

TOP 1-0 Volendam

Volendam 2-1 TOP

so the decider of the second round playoffs finished

TOP 0 - 1 Volendam.

The main problem I had all season is that I am far too far over my wage budget, so cant really sign any players as my board is restricting me, and also cant renew a lot of contracts as the players dont want to take a pay drop.

Table

Aims for next season include reducing wages, and trying to get back into the playoffs.

I'm only just coming to the end of my first season at Boston..

I didn't realise how long it actually takes to do a season in England after managing about 20 seasons in Northern Ireland in your other challenge, you can do about 3 or 4 in a week easily.

It has been almost a week now and I am still yet to finish my first season icon_biggrin.gif

First update on the way in the next couple of days though icon_smile.gif

Gilbster - 2009/10 - TOP, Dutch First Division

My board are wanting slightly better performances each sseason but without giving me any room for wages. My wage budget is small and im over it and cant really bring in any players.

Somehow managed to get to the playoffs again and we were knocked out at teh same point as the previous season.

The board arent overly happy with me, so feel its only a matter of time before I get the axe, so havTablee kept this update brief!

Away goals don't count in nacompetitie Gilbster so if its tied on aggregate there is a decider match like you played. I can't remember how it choses if its home or away though. Yes there is a period system for qualification to it which works as you say, I think its a very stupid system and so do most people icon_smile.gif

When you do finally do get promoted you will see theres an equally bizarre playoff system for European qualification, again its entirely ridiculous.

Razer82 – Tai Po – Hong Kong First Division

I thought that I’d throw my hat into the ring with your new challenge Gundo and in order to make this as much of a challenge as possible. Off I go to Hong Kong – the league with the lowest reputation on the game.

So here this is me and I’m off to manage Tai Po. These are the players that I’ve inherited.

Here is a quick look at the national side – that ranking will need to improve greatly!

After another half season of incompetence from my players and still losing more money that I should have been, I have been sacked from my job at TOP. I think I will now restart in a different country.

Have a hunch I know where I want to manage but want to see what the league rules are first to see if I can follow them!

For attempt two of this challenge I will manage in Peru. It seems to be a league with an opening and closing stage, and allows no more than 6 foreign players into the squad, with only 3 allowed in the match day squad.

There is only 1 division in Peru, but that wont make this challenge any easier. The continental competition will be tough with Brazilian and Argentinian teams in it, and getting Peru to the world cup will be really tricky too!

The club I have chosen is Melgar which has a media prediction of 6th and the board want me to qualify for continental competition and finish just behind the top clubs.

Not entirely sure exactly how many qualify yet or how you qualify for the Copa Libertadores but hopefully will figure it out as I go along.

2007 - Gilbster - Melgar - Peruvian First Division

Look two posts above this for my intro to the club.

Was a tough first season and as you will see from the table the top clubs are miles apart from the rest. This is going to be a very tough division to start winning.

My board havent been compltely happy with me for the season, so no idea how long I will hold onto my job.

I am marginally over my wage budget, but hope to sort that out soon.

Table

Wow, shows how much I know about Peruvian football. I am halfway through my new season and suddenly get told I have a been drawn against Deportivo Cali in the Copa Sudamerica.

I hadnt realised I had qualified for continental competition in the previous season. Fairly sure there was no announcement of Peruvian qualifiers.

kingrooney - 2008/09 Update - Queretaro, Mexican First Division

A good start to my first season in the top flght in after getting myself promoted last season. witha couple of good signings i

Opening Stage - Finished mid table in 11th place overall.

Opening Stage Group - In the first division it is split into three groups again with the top two teams qualifying for the champions playoff to win the stage. Finished 4th out of 6 in my group.

Closing Stage - Again finished 11th place not bad for my first season in the division.

Closing Stage Group - Finished 4th in the group again but went to the last few games finesh three points away from qualifying.

Interliga - The InterLiga is a football competition between Mexican clubs to determine qualifying spots for that country in South America's premier club competition, the Copa Libertadores. Eight teams were selected based on their combined results in the Apertura and Clausura phases of the Primera División, and divided into two groups of four.

I won my group an then the final thus getting into the Copa Libertadores.

Copa Libertadores - After winning the Interliga the club was in the competition for the first time. i was drawn against Olimpia from Paraguay in the prelim round, over two legs i beat them 7-0 on aggregate which took me into the group stage. i was drawn against Gremio, Sporting Cristal and America (MEX). i didnt do too bad came 3rd out of 4 teams.

i did not get through but can hopefully improve on this next season, will need to restructure my wage budget for next season and sign a couple more players as a few playes are leaving after their contracts have expired.

Key signing this year was Jozy Altidore from New York who signed in January for 85k he scored 12 goals in the 15 league games he played, but he has just broke his leg playing for the USA not good out for 6 months lucky the seasons over hopefully he can come back from this and be an integral part next year.

Any questions or requests for screenshots feel free to ask?

Gilbster - 2008 - Melgar, Peruvian First Division

It is hard to manage in Peru, the top teams are miles apart from the rest and the smaller teams are miles apart still.

I have absolutely no idea how to break through here. With foreign restrictions you are more or less reliant on Peruvian players, and I cant see how I can get the good ones to come.

My board arent happy with my position this season and I suspect I will be sacked at some point in the new season.

Table

Just played another half season, team still cant do as expected so I'm quitting before I am sacked. Will restart in yet another country.

Once I get into a game, I should be able to stick at it and get further in this challenge.

Given I seem to be the main regular poster on this topic and this is my third intro post, here are my initial links and see you tomorrow when I have either been sacked or changed country again!

Chosen Hobro in Danish Second Division West, predicted to finish near bottom, and my 2 year goal is survival.

Much prefer challenges where I am attempting the impossible, as least I may actually be able to stuck into this one.

Hobro Info

Originally posted by Gilbster:

Given I seem to be the main regular poster on this topic and this is my third intro post, here are my initial links and see you tomorrow when I have either been sacked or changed country again!

Chosen Hobro in Danish Second Division West, predicted to finish near bottom, and my 2 year goal is survival.

Much prefer challenges where I am attempting the impossible, as least I may actually be able to stuck into this one.

Hobro Info

Good luck in Denmark. icon14.gif

I noticed one of your rivals is Randers FC, that'll be a nice derby to look forward to when you reach the top flight. Former Bolton Manager Colin Todd is their current Boss.

Gilbster - 2007/08 - Hobro, Danish 2nd Division West

Wow playing a season in Denmark is fast. I may like this league!

Holbro are a club that were predicted 13th in the league and I was asked to survive in the division by the end of the two year plan.

Most of the team were out of contract and some players were poached before I got round to evaluating everyone.

I managed to sign a scout (after mine was stolen) and then sign some players on free transfers.

Was fairly happy with how the team was performing in the division, I felt we had a chance in most matches and the league was a lot more open than my experiences in Peru.

I hope to be at Hobro for a long while and turn the club into a major contendor in Danish football.

Table

Aims for next season

Strengthen squad, especially defence, goal and strikeforce.

Try and put up a better fight in first round of Danish cup

Get a new parent club if possible

kingrooney - 2009/10 Update - Queretaro, Mexican First Division

With another season in the top flght this is how i done

Opening Stage - Not a good opening phase losing more games than i won, finished 12th overall.

Opening Stage Group - Finished 4th in my group out of six teams quite a way behind the two teams that qualified for the playoff phase.

Closing Stage - Done much better than the opening stage finished 7th overall.

Closing Stage Group - with a good closing stage i had a chance of coming in the top two if the other teams in my group did not perform, with atlas the previous years winners underachieving in the stage i finished seciond qualifying for the champions playoff phase. Group Stage

Champions playoff - i was drawn against Pachuca in the uarter finals, with the first leg being played at home a good performance and the game ended a bore draw 0-0, with the second played away it would be tough, the game did not start too well i was 4-1 down at half time, so i thought the game was over the but another goal after half time i thought i could get back into it, they scored straight after to make it 5-2, it stayed like this until 10 minutes to go where i scored two goals before the final whistle, final score 5-4. Nearly a heroic comeback there heres the screenshot, 2nd Leg

Interliga - DId not qulify for

Copa Libertadores - Did not qualify for

An impressive second half to the season in getting into the champions playoff made up for the poor first stage performance, Altidore recovered well from his broken leg to impress in the second half where he was fully match fit. Signing of Colombian youngster Nazarith was a particular highlight of the season as he made an impression on the team. A low in the season was the loss of one of my best players Costa Rican Marvin Angulo who was one of my first signings for the club was sold for 4m to Sunderland after the board accepted the offer. with many foreigners being signed, and the restriction of only 5 of them to be given a number to play for the season its hard to get the right balance of players. The ledgend of Ronaldo has accepted a contract offer from me as he is unattached, at 33 and decreasing stats should i waste one of my foriegn spaces in him??

Not sure why but i was allowed to scout the whole world in January but now the board will only pay for scouting trips within the continent.

Any questions or requests for screenshots feel free to ask?

Gilbster - 2008/09 - Hobro, Danish Second Division West

Well I was optimistic going into this season, falsely so. The team just didnt get going at all. Managed to stay in the division and the board are happy at that.

However my players are all not that good, and my scouts are barely finding me any players, let alone players that may actually help the club.

Table

Aims are same as previous season. Basically rebuild squad and hope for improvements.

Gilbster - 2009/10 - Hobro, Danish Second Division West

By the looks of this, I havent done anything but play FM all day, or the Danish seasons just play fast!

Managed to get some good loan signings in this season and signed a couple of good new players.

Danish cup got to the fourth round, after beating a first division club in the third round. Fourth round saw me with a home tie against Brondby. Needless to say I rolled over 5-1 to them.

Have a feeling that progress with this club to get them out of this division is probably at least a 10 season plan!

Table

Aim for next season:

Renew good players contracts before other teams take them on bosmans again!

morning people.... i am just about to start the challenge as havent and waterlooville.. will keep you all posted as i go... slow at this will prob take me 3 weeks to complete a season..keep me posted on how you are all doing!!

andy

Gilbster - 2010/11 - Hobro, Danish Second Divison West

Well the season started well, with a great unbeaten streak and us hitting the heights of the top 4 in the table. However then our typical mid season form kicked in and its been hard to get a win since. As a result it was another mid-table finish.

I seem to have trouble keeping hold of players for more than a season, as a result its hard to really build on anything, and my ass man keeps rating the whole team as rubbish.

Really hard to compete in a division which has the second teams of some of the bigger Danish clubs which are able to dominate.

Table

Gilbster - 2011/12 - Hobro, Danish Second Division West

I believe I am starting to get to grips with this division. I now understand that the way to make money and win matches is to have a team made up of mainly loan players from better clubs.

I made a couple more decent real signing as well as 7 players in on loan to boost my squad.

We finished in our highest ever position of 5th, and were just 3 points away from a playoff place.

If anyone can take a look at the table and explain exactly why the bottom clubs arent always the ones relegated, I'd appreiciate it. I believe it is something to do with reserve teams of top division clubs.

Table

Gilbster - 2012/13 - Hobro, Danish Second Division West

Following on from last season, in the pre-season, I made sure to try and resign some of my loan signing from last season as well as track down some more signings for myself. The "sucess" of the previous season must have made Hobro a slightly more attractive proposition for good players, as I managed to sign quite a few players that both my scouts and ass man agreed on.

For the first season since I took charge, I had been asked to get a safe mid-table position instead of just avoiding relegation. This gave me some confidence that the club does expect progress, just at a slower rate than other clubs might.

After a bit of a dodgy start in the division and losing to a same division rival in the second round of the Danish cup, Hobro found some form.

I have sat and watched, not completely believing that my team of loan signings, youngsters that have come from my youth system and some signings have been performing miracles.

The downside of the season was that we weren;t named chammpions due to goal difference and a harder last match of the season (against 3rd place) than the champions.

As you may have guessed it was a good season, and in fact Hobro finished 2nd. Which is normally a playoff position, however since the team above us cant be promoted, we got the only automatic promotion spot!

See for yourselves here - table

Aims for next season

SURVIVAL - well what else was I going to say?

Get more loan signings or get some of these guys permanently

Pray that I can stay up for a year and that players will actually want to start coming to a Danish First Division club.

I think I may start this challenge. The combination of Club and International Management is something I really enjoy. I'll probably start in Holland, due to never having managed there, and immensely enjoying watching their match against Italy last night. I'll post up profile screenies a bit later on.

Profile Pic

There's my profile, as you can see, I've chosen Go Ahead (or to give them their full title Go Ahead Eagles). Predicted to finish 6th by the media, I told the board I'd give them promotion. As such I was given a whopping transfer budjet of £27k, and a wage budget of £43k p/w. This should be fun, and I have some home friendlys against Premier Division sides to boost finances. I did choose an automatic reputation as Sunday League wasn't available, and as you can see it's given me a national reputation. Maybe it's due to me taking 3 of their most famous names icon_wink.gif. There should be a season update in a couple of days.

Gilbster - 2013/14 - Hobro, Danish First Division

While still recovering from the heroics my team performed last season for promotion, I was offered a new 3 year contract with a 5 year plan of survival in the First Division. Had a huge pay rise included too and of course I accepted it.

This lead me to have to build for my first season in the First division. I had a mass clearout of players and by the time the loanees went home, I barely had a first team let alone a squad. None the less with new wage budget and deciding to overwork my scouts with repeated trips around Denmark, I managed to get some new quality players.

Also bolstered my squad with a load of loan signings, since without them I was definitely going to lose every game by large margins.

After a predictable start of the season of 2 losses, Hobro started to find their feet in the division. We did manage to mess up our first round Danish Cup tie, and although the board werent happy with that, they havent complained too much.

I am still not exactly sure how, but somehow when the dust settled at the end of this season, Hobro had managed to avoid the drop comfortably and in fact finished in 6th place.

Table

Aims for next season:

Consolidate my survival in First division, and then for future seasons try and get promotion

Keep trying to improve the backbone of my squad, and get in loan players.

Gilbster - 2014/15 - Hobro, Danish First Division

I'm still not sure how, but I managed to accidently for the second season in a row, sell my top striking prospect. And with other first team players leaving the club I was left without a first division quality striker.

In my haste to correct this issue I took 2 random strikers in on loan from the loan list that were awful, and managed to sign for myself 1 other good striker on loan. The one striker I signed in pre-season it turned out I couldnt play until April, since he wasnt an EU national (bought him from another Danish club).

I spent the entire first half of the season wondering why I wasnt rock bottom of the table, given I didnt have 2 players up front, and adjusted my formation to match this.

Second half was marginially better when I got more loan signings in and also 1 more good striker for my squad. And my previous signing could actually start playing too once he turned 18.

Somehow despite all this I managed to finish 7th in the league.

By the end of the season the team I was fielding 10 loan players and 1 of my team.

Hopefully I wont need so many loan players next season. Maybe I will remember to sign some real ones for myself!

Table

Aims:

Sign more players that arent on loan

Stay in the First Division

Gilbster - 2015/16 - Hobro, Danish First Division

I didnt overly get into this season, and didnt really enjoy it that much.

One positive was that I stayed up and another is that I now have just over £1Million in the bank.

I'm starting to struggle to get my scouts to find useful players for me, and need to figure out how to persude my board to let me scout more than just Denmark.

Table

Aims:

Do better than this season

Archived