My personal opinion...

Having played the game for about a week, here are a few things I'd like to discuss:

- New features at expense of players in the database.

Why add more features when surely the player database is more important?

- Player attribute numbering

Why change the numbering to something that looks less professional?

- Positional colour change

Why have the natural and accomplished positions colours swapped?

- On loan player colour

Why are on loan players in light blue making it difficult to read their names?

- £60m max bid

Why have transfers been capped at £60m? (On Ronaldo's profile it shows his fee as £60m and not the record of £80m)

- 2D view

Why continue with this feature when it is still so bugged? Surely removing it would create more space.

- Easier this year!

As Southampton using a 451 formation I won League 1, JP Trophy and the League Cup. I went unbeaten in the league and beat Man City in the League Cup final. Thinking this was unrealistic started as Southampton again using a 433 tactic and won League 1, JP Trophy and the FA Cup!? Both times had similar squads which wouldn't have a chance of winning a major trophy. (See Southampton Career Thread)

Also like to mention after winning FA and League Cup in seperate games reputation only increased to Regional, surely this shoud be National?

Does anyone else share my views?

• SI Staff

New features haven't been added 'at the expense' of players to the database - far from it, in recent years we've grown the size of the database in FMH a LOT (consider that the squad spaces in the present game against the number available in the original FMH release).

We could have PHYSICALLY added in a handful of new players for each feature added - however (1) it wouldn't have been a significant amount, (2) one of the other big things we're up against with database size is simply processing speed - the larger the database gets the slower the game processes generally speaking, so we try to offset any database expansion with improvements in code efficiency to ensure that you can play the game at a reasonable speed.

I realise that a proportion of FMH players would love a huge database and be happy to wait 5 minutes for a week to complete - but most wouldn't and we aim to try and keep as many people happy as possible.

Some people love it, some don't - we'll be reviewing all feedback about the game as usual and will tweak things according to this for the next version (similar thing with the icons on menus etc.).

- On loan player colour

Loan players are shown in another colour so you know they're on loan, the light blue was chosen because it was thought to look nice. We didn't get any negative feedback about its readability during testing - but if a lot of people are having problems with it then we will obviously review the colour scheme for the next version.

- £60m max bid

Why have transfers been capped at £60m? (On Ronaldo's profile it shows his fee as £60m and not the record of £80m)

I'll have to double check the code behind this - but I've a sneaking feeling its to do with how the fee's are stored in the game, to compress the data behind the scenes we don't store the 'whole number' for most things in the game and instead store it as 'x' multiplied by a factor (for transfers I think its x multiplied by 1000) or some such. This allows us to pack the game more tightly and include more players and clubs into the database - but it does mean there is an upper limit to values which is lower than would normally be the case.

We've tried very hard to ensure that this doesn't cause issues in the playing of the game itself - but as you've found it appears real-life has changed what is considered an 'upper value' for transfers and that'll be why his visible valuation in the player history is showing as 60m.

If I'm right on this (and I'll be honest I haven't ran up the game to check yet) then we'll consider revising things for next year - however its entirely possible that we might leave it 'as is' rather than cull "x players" from the database just to allow him to have an 80m visible on his history.

- 2D view

Why continue with this feature when it is still so bugged? Surely removing it would create more space.

We're working on improving it each iteration, some people like it - some don't, it'll keep progressing and hopefully one version soon you'll enjoy it also.

- Easier this year!

As Southampton using a 451 formation I won League 1, JP Trophy and the League Cup. I went unbeaten in the league and beat Man City in the League Cup final. Thinking this was unrealistic started as Southampton again using a 433 tactic and won League 1, JP Trophy and the FA Cup!? Both times had similar squads which wouldn't have a chance of winning a major trophy. (See Southampton Career Thread)

Also like to mention after winning FA and League Cup in seperate games reputation only increased to Regional, surely this shoud be National?

That surprises me, I've been off largely working on another project rather than FMH this iteration and if anything I was terrified that Glenn would make the game TOO hard ... as always I'll be monitoring feedback to the game (in all areas) and I'm expecting to be much more hands on with the project next version so if everyone seems to be feeling the same I'll make sure your life is harder next time around ;)

• SI Staff
the database is definately alot worse than last year I think anyway :thdn:

The database is taken directly from the FM PC game, do you mean the research or which players have been retained? - also if possible can you give teams as examples.

(this will help us ensure we improve things going forward - thanks in advance for your assistance with this :) )

I realise that a proportion of FMH players would love a huge database and be happy to wait 5 minutes for a week to complete - but most wouldn't and we aim to try and keep as many people happy as possible.

Is it not possible to have the option of the database size (small/medium/large)?

Personally I would like to see a smaller player database if it meant even more features (maybe even a 2D pitch for the whole match one day). I always intend to manage teams abroad, but I always end up only ever managing teams in the English leagues.

• SI Staff
Is it not possible to have the option of the database size (small/medium/large)?

It might be at some point in the future - but at present the game has been designed with a single sized database in mind so its not something which could change 'fast'.

To Marc Vaughan,

I hope you dont take comments on forum at face value, but actually check it with your own internal/professional testing team to ensure you get balanced view before making any changes. I mean this especially for difficulty issue.

I found that what makes FMH2010 easy is because, it is very easy to get high quality players, especially for lower league teams. What if you get Premiere League quality players for Coca Cola 1? Total domination of course. And I notice there are so many players around with high stats and also a big portion of them willing to play at lower league.

What I propose is:

1. Make players with 5-7 stars strongly prefer top league teams and would never wanted to play on low league. What is happening now, is just based on salary cap. But this is not working very well as there are some good players are will to play with small salary. I think there is a need to check on the league in which the team is in now.

3. Only star players age 33+ or undeveloped stars (regen with lower CA but high PA) are willing to play at lower league.

So this ensure that in a league, every team has players of similar quality. Plus I'm hoping that a true 7 stars players to be limited to just a handful instead of the plentiful in FMH2010. We want to make them a real prized posession that are not so easily transfered here and there every year. And I want a true 7 stars regen to be created and shaped by training; so please limit the instant high quality regen to max 4-5 stars at peak. this will encourage game players to develop talent or watch talents develop (through scouts) in training, not simply hunt at transfer market and forget development.

And by importing data from PC directly is a mistake I think. Many of the PC stats are missin in FMH and just including the available ones cause the final product to be different. And since FMH is such a small game, I think it would be wiser to adjust the stats further to balance things out. I feel that there are too many over rated players in FMH, and since the database is small, it cause a major impact percentage wise. Some need to be toned down a bit to keep the proportion of good players smaller, which is better for gameplay/fun factor issue and more realistic too (good players = rare players, bad players = abundant).

I've been playing the game for a few days now (Hayes & Yeading ftw!) and enjoying it, props to SI.

As usual, I tend to try and sign u-21 players from abroad whenever possible (domestic bias = 1, lol!) and being a team with literally no money, free transfers are a way of life. In previous editions, negotiating offers with the other clubs either led them to offer what is being asked or bugger off with the player not being upset with a complete rejection. This year, my young players such as Darnel Situ (legend!) are instantly upset that I've decided to negotiate Benfica's measily 90k offer! I mean, come on - even though he's valued as 22k in league 1, I feel he's worth at least 500k. Even my assistant kindly tells me we should retain him at all costs.

Following this (and a few other players) my squad harmony now is almost zero and despite 2 straight league wins/promotions, the board are very unhappy at my management of the club! We have 1m in the bank, 2k below the wage budget and some of the most promising youngsters that will hopefully go on to become premier league stars and it feels that all my efforts are completely unappreciated by a club that let's face it, would be struggling to stay up in the BSP. I mean, what do they want, sell everyone for nothing!? It's not like we need the money (sold a spanish RB -zubiaretta for 1.5m that upset the whole squad but at least gave the club money) and it's not like I could sign a player of equal or better attributes with that money.

In short, sort it out, SI! :D

• SI Staff
I hope you dont take comments on forum at face value, but actually check it with your own internal/professional testing team to ensure you get balanced view before making any changes. I mean this especially for difficulty issue.

When deciding any tweaks and changes we listen to feedback from fans, verify this through our internal QA and then finally also use our own gut-instinct on things.

So no its not something which will be rushed into willy nilly, don't worry.

• SI Staff
And by importing data from PC directly is a mistake I think. Many of the PC stats are missin in FMH and just including the available ones cause the final product to be different. And since FMH is such a small game, I think it would be wiser to adjust the stats further to balance things out. I feel that there are too many over rated players in FMH, and since the database is small, it cause a major impact percentage wise. Some need to be toned down a bit to keep the proportion of good players smaller, which is better for gameplay/fun factor issue and more realistic too (good players = rare players, bad players = abundant).

Do bear in mind that while a all stats aren't displayed in the PSP version they are nearly all taken into account in the game - when the data is taken from the PC game some are 'merged' together for display purposes on the PSP because of the reduced screen space.

This means for example if a player in the PC game was 12 pace and 20 acceleration you'd probably see him as approximately 16 pace in the PSP game because the displayed stat in the PSP game is an amalgamation of the two attributes.

(you'll find on the PSP game that the coach reports will sometimes give you a clue if there is a big disparity like this between two of the stats which make up the visible stats - for example a coach suggesting that a player is especially good at long shots or whatever)

• SI Staff
Following this (and a few other players) my squad harmony now is almost zero and despite 2 straight league wins/promotions, the board are very unhappy at my management of the club! We have 1m in the bank, 2k below the wage budget and some of the most promising youngsters that will hopefully go on to become premier league stars and it feels that all my efforts are completely unappreciated by a club that let's face it, would be struggling to stay up in the BSP. I mean, what do they want, sell everyone for nothing!? It's not like we need the money (sold a spanish RB -zubiaretta for 1.5m that upset the whole squad but at least gave the club money) and it's not like I could sign a player of equal or better attributes with that money.

I think that the players getting upset is fairly reasonable to be honest - imagine that you're playing for a small town club and a scout for Manchester United comes along and wants to sign you as pro but your club decide to mess United around and potentially mess up what would be a life changing transfer for you.

I do agree however that the board should be more pragmatic about this and I'll look into toning that side of things down at some point - however it could be that they are concerned that by getting a reputation for not letting players move onto better things the club might find it harder to attract talented youngsters in the future?

(so yeah in summary, I think that reaction by the board are a bit over harsh - but it can be rationalised away and it isn't totally insane if you consider it this way ... I'll do some play-testing of this kind of scenario over the coming weeks and see how it feels to me in practice and tweak from there for future releases, thanks very much for the feedback)

I think one of the limiting factors for FMH is that the PSP is unlikely to get beefed up hardware for quite a few years. Even though many smartphones have faster processors and a lot more RAM than the PSP. I'm pretty sure that Sony, which is a bit hard up for cash, it going to rush to bring out a genuine PSP2 anytime soon.

I'm not expecting much more from the game to be honest until that happens. It's fine as it is give or take the odd annoying thing.

Having played the game for about a week, here are a few things I'd like to discuss:

- Positional colour change

Why have the natural and accomplished positions colours swapped?

- On loan player colour

- £60m max bid

- 2D view

- Easier this year!

Does anyone else share my views?

these are the three that i agree should be changed. the 2d view doesn't really bother me as much as most, however it does get annoying when it crashes.

"the database is definately alot worse than last year I think anyway"

Hello, giving benfica as an example...

It is always my team and i was disappointed that when i started the game, it didn't have all the players that the team actually has and i chose only portuguese league at start game.

some players missing:

GK julio cesar

DR Luís Filipe (fmh09)

DC miguel vitor (fmh09)

DL shaffer

DL cesar peixoto

DMC Ruben Amorim (fmh09)

MR Urreta (fmh09)

ML Fábio Coentrão (fmh09)

SC Mantorras (fmh09)

SC Weldon

of those 10 players 6 of them were in last year.

you can check on official team site http://www.slbenfica.pt/Informacao/futebol/plantel/plantel.asp

so in the game team has no DL´s! , only one DR, 2 gk no ML and benfica only has a €2m budget!

(little money to buy what already should be there!)

benfica as a top team should have more, especially since in real life it's the third year in a row that it spends over €25m in players, just ramires alone cost over €8.5m this year.

I share some of the complaints of the above posts, of course everything SI does is to improve our gameplay and enjoyment of game the new features are GREAT indeed but why fiddle with what was (in my humble opinion) already well done...

thanks.

I know what people are saying about the database as I dont have Bostock at Spurs, but I have noticed that the database seems to be much better if you only have one national league running at a time and you get a better spread of players accross other nations.

The database is taken directly from the FM PC game, do you mean the research or which players have been retained? - also if possible can you give teams as examples.

(this will help us ensure we improve things going forward - thanks in advance for your assistance with this :) )

I always only load up one league to try and get the best database for the country I am managing in. Last year I could load up England only and start a game there and go to Scotland for example and have 10 to 15 players , sometimes more from each SPL team to try and buy , this year there is 5 players max in each team except Rangers and Celtic. I find this very disappointing as its a step back from last years game.:thdn:

For Example - When English Only Database is loaded and looking for SPl players in FMH2009 and FMH2010.

FMH2009 -------- FMH2010

Aberdeen 17 players loaded -------- 5 players loaded

Hearts 16 players -------- 5 players

Hibs 14 players -------- 5 players

Falkirk 9 players -------- 2 players

Celtic 24 players -------- 15 players

This is a big step back from last year.

• SI Staff
I always only load up one league to try and get the best database for the country I am managing in. Last year I could load up England only and start a game there and go to Scotland for example and have 10 to 15 players , sometimes more from each SPL team to try and buy , this year there is 5 players max in each team except Rangers and Celtic. I find this very disappointing as its a step back from last years game.:thdn:

If you look there are slightly more players in the database than there were last year - however the balance has been altered slightly with more players abroad than in leagues within the active continent, this was in response to people being unable to find players when scouting certain regions all the time.

We might have pushed a little to hard in this area for some people and unfortunately removed players from clubs they'd prefer to have more players at - this is as always a real 'balancing' act in the creation of the game as its not possible to keep everyone happy in this regard at present.

Each year our optimisations tend to allow us to grow the database size slightly and hopefully in next years version it'll get to a size which is sufficient to keep everyone happy and content with its balance :)

Archived