FM 10: Official Celtic Thread - Taking Back The Title

southsidecelt

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL FM 2010 CELTIC THREAD

WINNING BACK THE LEAGUE TITLE

THE CLUB

Celtic are a Scottish club with strong Irish roots who play in the Scottish Premier League, at their home ground Celtic Park.

ava_1160594300_Celtic_FC_logo.png

THE HISTORY

Since the club's formation in 1888, Celtic have won the Scottish championship on 42 occasions and the Scottish Cup 34 times. They won the European Cup in 1967, beating Inter Milan 2-1 in the final. Together with their Glasgow rivals, Rangers, they form one of the most famous and fierce rivalries in sport. The club's traditional playing colours are green and white hooped shirts with white shorts and white socks.

In 1967, Celtic became the first British team to win the European Cup, the players subsequently becoming known as the Lisbon Lions and in 2003 Celtic reached the Uefa Cup Final where they lost 3-2 to Porto.

Last season a lacklustre Celtic side, totally devoid of any creativity and guile lost the league title to Rangers on the last day of the season. Gordon Strachan left at the end of the season and has left Tony Mowbray(you) with an average squad in need of a small clearing out and the introduction of two or three top quality players.

CLUB INFORMATION

Club Name: Celtic Football Club

Club Nick-name: The Bhoys, The Hoops

Year Founded: 1888

Legends: Billy McNeil, Danny McGrain, Jock Stein, Bertie Auld, Jimmy Johnstone,

Henrik Larsson

Icons: Tommy Burns, Paul McStay, Roy Aitken, Kenny Dalglish, Neil Lennon, Wim Jansen, Martin O'Neill

Favoured Personnel: Chris Sutton, Lubomir Moravcik

Fierce Rivals: Rangers

Other Rivals: None

Finances: Secure

Average Ticket Price: £28

Average Season Ticket Price: £481

Season Ticket Holders: 53000

Estimated Value: £76 million (Loan Debt £1.5million)

Continental Qualification: European Champions Cup

Media Prediction: 2nd

Squad Personality: Ambitious

Transfer Budget: £8.5 million

Wage Budget: 275K per week

CLUB FACILITIES

Celtic_Park_CL_Matches.jpg

Stadium Name: Celtic Park

Capacity: 60,355 All-Seater

Year Built: 1888

Owned By: Celtic

Training Facilities: Top training facilities

Youth Facilities: Good youth facilities + Youth Academy

CLUB KITS

Untitled.jpg

SQUAD ANALYSIS

In my opinion the main weaknesses in the Celtic squad are central defense and central midfield. The rest of the squad is fairly good in quality and in depth so I would look to spend the transfer budget on two or three key players who will be instant starters for your team. If money permits another striker would be great and the quality of the youth players isn't great so this is something you will have to adress in the first year or two of playing.

Club Captain - Stephen McManus

Vice Captain - Gary Caldwell

Star Players - Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc

SQUAD

GOALKEEPERS

Artur Boruc - The best goalkeeper in Scottish football. Boruc will be a great keeper for the SPl and Europe. The Polish international is 29 so he should be your number one for the next couple of years.

Lukasz Zaluska - Another Pole, he joined from Dundee United in the summer and will make a great back up for the SPL. May be a problem keeping him happy and as he's 27, he probably won't be the man to take over from Boruc.

Mark Brown - On a season-long loan to Kilmarnock and can't be recalled. Isn't good enough for Celtic and should be sold when possible.

Star Man: Artur Boruc

Youth Prospects: None

Recommendation: A very secure position, would think about bringing in a good young keeper with potential who could replace Boruc in a couple of years time, perhaps Lung Jr.

FULL BACKS

Andy Hinkel - A German international who is pretty solid going forward and in his defensive duties. With other positions a priority I would keep HInkel as your number one right back unless you recieve a good offer(3mill+)

Daniel Fox - Another one who is solid if not spectacular. Has always played well and I would have him as the first choice

Mark Wilson - Versatile full back who can also play left-back. His stats are average and with good, young prospects he is a player I look to sell.

Paul Caddis - Nineteen year old who's stats don't look very good but who has never played badly when been given a chance. Promising player who should be back up to Hinkel.

Milan Misun - Another nineteen year old who the coaches say is almost as good as Danny Fox. Plays well when I've gave him a chance and with a bit of training could be a very good first choice in a year or two.

Lee Naylor - Starts on the transfer list and I would try to move him on. Valued at £1.6 million but anything over 500K and I'd take it.

Star man: None

Youth Prospects: Richard Towell

Recommendation: Look to offload Wilson and Naylor and give Misun and Caddis chances. With other position more of a priority I wouldn't look to spend any money here though you may want to strengthen in the next couple of years.

CENTRE BACKS

Gary Caldwell - A pretty solid centre back who can pass the ball well but who has no pace whatsoever. His contract is up in the summmer and I'd renew it. If you can get the money I'd consider replacing Caldwell but if not he will do a good job, the Celtic coaches rate him the best of the current centre halfs.

Glenn Loovens - A good player but not great. I would look to hold on to Loovens as back up as Celtic start a little short in the centre half department.

Stephen McManus - Starts off injured. 'Big Mick' has fairly average stats and with a price tag of £2.3 million I'd look to sell him(last year you could get 5-7 million for him)

Darren O'Dea - On loan at Reading till January he is a promising young defender who could do a good job and I'd keep him around when he returns from loan.

John Kennedy - A career decimated by injury, he is out for 9-10 months at the start of the game, stats look OK but I would try sell as soon as possible.

Josh Thompson - Eighteen year old who the coaches think can be as good as Gary Caldwell, should be kept around the first team as back up and with some training might be a possible first team player on day.

Star man: None

Youth Prospects: Josh Thompson

Recommendation: I'd say it's essential you bring in one centre half, preferably with a bit of pace. If you have the money, two new centre half's would be ideal, perhaps Otamendi or Kryvstov.

DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDERS

Landry N'Guemo - On loan from Nancy, N'Guemo is a decent player for the SPL, but that level only. I'd keep him around for the duration of his loan but he isn't worth the £1.7 million agreed fee.

Marc Crosas - Rated by the coaches as the best defensive midfielder at the club, Crosas' stats aren't brilliant but he plays well whenever asked.

Star Man: None

Recommendation: If you play a formation with a defensive midfielder I would suggest strengthening as neither of these two are great outside the SPL.

CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS

Barry Robson - Robson is a tenacious midfielder with good technical ability, he is a started for my team but one I will look to replace in the next year.

Scott Brown - Player with average stats who normally plays quite well. I normally look to sell Brown because you can get a good price for him(4-5 million) and there are better players for that price.

Willo Flood - Pretty poor stats and not really good enough for Celtic. Might be useful for back up but I normally try move him to raise some money.

Zheng Zhi - Another who is fairly average, good for back up but I'd be looking for a better player as my number one pick.

Star Man: None

Recommendation: A few average players but I would be looking to spend a good chunk of the tranfer budget on a box-to-box or creative centre mid who can be the focal point of the team.

WINGERS

Aiden McGeady - The star of the midfield, McGeady is a very tricky, speedy player who always performs well in FM. Should be first pick in the midfield.

Shaun Maloney - Another tricky, pacey player Maloney isn't as creative as McGeady but a good player who should also start.

Niall McGinn - Fairly poor stats, McGinn is a pacey winger who could be used as back up but you may also decide to sell should you get a good offer.

Pat McCourt - A good dribbler, McCourt plays is pretty good back up for McGeady and Maloney and could be useful coming off the bench.

Koki Mizuno - Twenty three and he isn't going to make it near you first team add to Mizuno bring one to offload.

Star Man: Aiden McGeady

Recommendation: With McGeady and Maloney you pretty set though you may want to bring in a better standard of back up.

STRIKERS

Marco-Antoine Fortune - The best striker in the squad, Fortune's stats don't look great but he has been on fire both in the SPL and Europe for me and is a great man to lead the line.

Scott McDonald - A potent goalscorer, McDonald is a poacher who has an annoying habit of getting caught offside a lot. Will score goals in the SPL and should definetely be kept around the squad.

Georgios Samaras - Fairly average stats but has good pace and is useful backup, through if you move him on there are better alternatives.

Chris Killen - Killen is a target man in the mould of a Kevin Davies but he's not good enough for Celtic and I'd look to sell him if possible.

Peter Skuletic - Youngster who isn't far from having the potential to be as good as Fortune. I'd suggest promoting him from your reserves let him gain experience in cup and SPL games.

Star Man: Marco-Antoine Fortune

Youth Prospects: Peter Skuletic, Greig Spence

Recommendation: Fortune' is a very good player who should be first pick. McDonald and Samaras are both capable but I'd look to bring in someone to play alongside Fortune' and keep the other two for back up.

I haven't had a lot of game time on the demo so there's a chance some of my analysis will be off the mark. With the squad you have at the start, winning the SPL is a must. The challenge with Celtic is of course Europe. You'll be up against teams with better players and bigger budgets and I've always found it to be a good FM career trying to crack Europe with Celtic.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THE FM2010 CELTIC RECORDS THREAD

Biggest Win - Kirkham88 - Celtic 12-0 Rangers

Proof - http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3092/celticvrangers.png

Biggest Win in Europe - slipknot67 - Dinamo Kiev 0-7 Celtic

Proof - http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u339/slipknot261175/HajdukvCeltic.png

Biggest Win Against Rangers - Kirkham88 - Celtic 12-0 Rangers

Proof - http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3092/celticvrangers.png

Most Goals in a Match By One Player - NA FIANNA - Sophiane Bunel 7

Proof - http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu151/celtic1009/Untitled.jpg

Most Goals In A Season (Player) - McGougan33 - Jo - 65 Goals

Proof - http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/mcgougan33/jo.jpg

Most Goals In A Season (Team) - McGougan33 - 110 Goals

Proof - http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/mcgougan33/goals.jpg

Highest Transfer Fee Paid - Ari Gold - £27.5million for Fellaini

Proof - http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5712/transfersck.png

Highest Transfer Fee Received -

Furthest In Cl - McGougan33 - Winner

Proof - http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/mcgougan33/clfinalwinner.jpg

Furthest In EL - McGougan33 - Winner's

Proof - http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/mcgougan33/eurocupfinal.jpg

Highest Points In Season - southsidecelt - 102 Points

Proof - http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss73/thesouthsidecelt/102points.jpg

Most Leagues In A Row - McGougan33 -5

Proof - http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/mcgougan33/5inarowleagues.jpg

Most Games Won In A Row - southsidecelt - 15 Games

Proof - http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss73/thesouthsidecelt/mostgames.jpg

Most Games Without Losing -

The FM10 Celtic Christmas Challenge

The Aim: To take control of Celtic in the Premiership for one season only and try to achieve as much as possible.

Rules:

• You should download this file http://www.filefront.com/15168053/Prem%20DB.dbc
  • And save it to: sports interactive>football manager 2010>editor data
  • You must load the English Premier League as a minimum, other English leagues if desired. Note that, at the moment, loading the SPL will result in you being placed into the Scottish Cup.
  • Database size is optional, but smaller should mean quicker loading times.
  • Manager starting experience should be set to professional or under.
  • Any achievements must be proven with screenshots.

Points system.

For finishing position:

100: Champions

80: 2nd

75: 3rd

70: 4th

65: 5th

60: 6th

50: 7th to 10th

40: 10th to 14th

30: 14th to 17th

0: relegated

Cups:

50: FA Cup winners

40: FA Cup finalists

25: FA Cup semi-finalists

30: League Cup winners

20: League Cup finalists

10: League Cup semi-finalists

Europe

Champions League

100: Winners

80: Semi-Final's

70: Quarter Final's

60: Last 16

Europa League

70: Winners

60: Semi-Final's

50: Quarter Final's

Bonus points:

30: For remaining undefeated away from home in the league

15: For remaining undefeated at home in the league

15: For having top goalscorer in league

5: For each win against the 'Big 4'

5: For winning home and away against your Old Firm rival

2: For each player from the original squads who plays in more than half of your team's league games that season

In terms of wins against the big four,the big four will be the teams who finish 1-4 in your season, if you finish in one of these positions, the 5th placed team will count.

In terms of players playing in league games, sub app's do count.

Points Leaderboard

McGougan33 - 58 Points

batty1 - 55 Points

He sold Scott Fox for 12k in my game saying it was too good an offer for the club to turn down, I think there might be a problem there.

Who are you playing at right back then Seanydude? I looked at selling Hinkel but I couldn't find anyone better and affordable to bring in.

caddis/ vanderwiel/loic nestor in bigger games and against small clubs odonkor

kinda like didi agathe :)

+ sign smolarek if you can

9 in 9 for me

seanydude

Cheers for they names I'll check them out, I've just been playing Caddis because I sold Hinkel for £3 million and he's been doing well

Looked at getting Smolarek but I thought I had enough strikers after signing Arouna Kone for £3million and he's looking like a good bit of business.

Swell86

Will have to give Samaras a run and try him out, McDonald has been the one of fire for me with 15 goals in 9 starts.

Yeah Griffiths looks promising, so does Craig Thomson the young Hearts RB, also some of the Motherwell and Aberdeen look promising like Forbes, Slane, Pawlett.

If my game's anything to go by, playing with Celtic will be harder this season. I'm still trying to master some tactics but at the moment I'm top(just) and then it's Falkirk and Kilmarnock, Rangers are sixth and really struggling.

I've also been knocked out the league cup 4th round by the Well but Europe's going OK. In the Europa League with Zenit, Toulouse and Staebak and I've won two and drawn one so far to sit top.

i made it to the cl groups.

beat panathinaikos and twente to get there so had it easy,

lost two one away to salzburg in hapoel style taking the lead then messing up

and lost 3-2 home to porto. losing two nil got back to 2-2 then heid scored an own goal.

oh how realistic

Very Realistic Seany, I love how we can coach Caldwell to stop stupid long balls, wish Mowbray would.

Realism for me meant beating twente, then getting Arsenal in the third qualifying, lost 2-0 away from home and 1-0 at home, however should be able to qualify through the Europa group stage.

Oh, we have a thread. :D

I'm nearing the end of demo, so here's some of my thoughts on the squad.

I'm using the asymmetric formation (4-2-3-1, was it? The one where it says Asymmetric, can't be bothered to check what the notation is).

GK: Boruc (Zaluska)

DL: Misun (Fox)

DC: Caldwell (McManus)

DC: Loovens or Reginiussen (Norwegian international bought for 700k)

DR: Hinkel (Wilson)

DMC: N'Guemo in tougher games, Crosas against weaker SPL side.

ML: McCourt (McGinn)

MC: Robson (Flood)

AMR: Maloney (Mizuno)

AMC: McGeady (Zhi, but Aiden has played each game so far)

FC: Fortune' (Samaras)

So no big new signings, as you see (save Reginiussen). I've got Wotherspoon too as he's quite useful for the U21 rule (since Caddis/Crosas don't work).

Danny Fox is really under performing for me, for no apparent reason. He's on a simple automatic fullback role, without any experimental tweaks or anything. He's bad defensively, commits fouls, crosses have been way off, and he made several critical mistakes. Haven't really been able to figure out why, but eventually I was forced to replace him with Misun.

Caldwell plays well as a ball-playing defender.

I have trouble on the left wing (left midfield actually). McCourt is good technically, can keep the ball glued to his feet and rarely loses it. He also seems to win an odd tackle or two, surprisingly enough, and his passing is usually pin-point. Tends to get overwhelmed in bigger games though when facing off against good players. McGinn's ratings are sadly not reflecting the pace and skill he has irl - he's pretty poor in the game.

Mizuno has also impressed in SPL. Although I never really intended to use him so much, he's won me over and now starts over Maloney from time to time.

McGeady... meh. Not what I would expect on his "favorite AMC role". He ain't bad, but not really standing out either.

Fortune' was the most consistent performer overall. Sammy's a decent enough backup. McDonald was just hopeless in the lone striker role for me.

McDonald and Brown - sold. Incidentally, just what I'd do if I were in charge of real Celtic right now.

Just started my game the other day. Brought in Andy Driver for £1.5 million for more competition on the left and I'v decided to give Henri Camara a second chance. Got him for nothing and is perfect for the SPL. Also managed to get rid of McManus for a couple of million.

Got put out of the CL by Lyon losing on away goals after a 4-4 draw at Parkhead and 0-0 draw away. Doing well in the Europa League now beating Shakhtar 3-0 and D.Moscow 4-0.

Top of the SPL beating Rangers 3-1 , bit disappointed in Rangers again because they have not really proved a challenge and are sitting 10 points behind in 5th after 11 games.

Anyone else seeing Massive improvements in Milan Misun ? His stats are rising by the minute and he's beginning to take Fox's place.

i found the 4321 is amazing with celtic i got to the end of the demo drawing 1 time in league and winning the rest, also managed to beat arsenal away 1-0 but caught a hiding on the away leg. celso borges is really good for the amc role and fortune comes into a league of his own.

gk - boruc

rb/wb - hinkel

lb/wb - fox

cb - otamendi

cb - caldwell

wg -mcgeady

wg - maloney

deep playmaker - crosas

box2box - brown

target - fortune

poacher - fortune

qualified from a group with inter and barca, beat inter home and away

Thats exactly how I set up Brown and Crosas. How did that work for you?

Just so you all know, Riquelme can be picked up for £2m-3m. Patrick Viera for about £500k, but he has very high wage demands... Couple of golden oldies, but inparticular Riquelme is absolutely amazing for at least two more seasons!

Good to see the thread getting going :thup:

I've been playing two games both as Celtic just to try different things out.

Bought Andres D'Allesandro on one game and he's been a big disappointment, have tried playing him MC, AMC and out wide and he's been poor.

McDonald has been brilliant as the second striker to a target man, 15 goals in 15 games and McGeady has been pretty good for me at AMR

How are you all setting up the forwards tactically ?

Im switching between advanced forward and poacher for McDonald ,

Using deep lying forward on Samaras and Fortune.

All 3 strikers have had their fair share of goals but wondering if i could change things around a little.

What formulas have you been successful with ?

Idktalin

Do you have a link to the asymetrical tactic you were talking about?

You mean this?

celticagain.jpg

The actual tactics is here http://talin.nfshost.com/4-2-3-1Celtic.tac

It's pretty straightforward though, mostly on defaults. Then again, I watch full games and use shouts a lot.

What formulas have you been successful with ?

The above has got me to CL groups and top of the league, just started over again. :D

Cheers for the link IdkTalin.

BrianQuinn - I've been playing McDonald as a poacher with Fortune or Kone(signed for 3 mill) as a target man. McDonald has been banging the goals in and while the target man doesn't score as much he has a good number of assist from lay off's and flick on's, mostly to McDonald.

Cheers for the link IdkTalin.

BrianQuinn - I've been playing McDonald as a poacher with Fortune or Kone(signed for 3 mill) as a target man. McDonald has been banging the goals in and while the target man doesn't score as much he has a good number of assist from lay off's and flick on's, mostly to McDonald.

Cheers , I'll give that a try :thup:

Very Realistic Seany, I love how we can coach Caldwell to stop stupid long balls, wish Mowbray would.

Realism for me meant beating twente, then getting Arsenal in the third qualifying, lost 2-0 away from home and 1-0 at home, however should be able to qualify through the Europa group stage.

i've had the exact same draw as you twice now. twente ws fairly easy. then i miraculously drew 2-2 at emirates & won 2-1 at parkhead to make the group stages where i finished 3rd behind liverpool & inter.

on my 2nd go around i'm just about to take on arsenal. i was thinking the twente and then arsenal was hard coded.

i've had the exact same draw as you twice now. twente ws fairly easy. then i miraculously drew 2-2 at emirates & won 2-1 at parkhead to make the group stages where i finished 3rd behind liverpool & inter.

on my 2nd go around i'm just about to take on arsenal. i was thinking the twente and then arsenal was hard coded.

nah cos i got panathinaikos. remember there's like only 5 or 6 different teams you can get

Just mean it's hard to get in quality players for the wage and transfer budget your given but it does seem to be more realistic and how things are going with Celtic these days. Your right though will be slightly easier with a larger database. Just can't wait for the game.

Very limited the amount of players you can buy! Can't wait for the full version so there'll be more foreign options

I signed Lewandowski from Shaktar to provide backup in defense and also play as an anchor man in midfield

Also got Andy Driver from Hearts who provides good backup since McGinn and Mizuno are not up to much

Signed Vieri on a free who doesnt really play but you need cover up front straight away, he scored loads in pre season though

Can't wait for the full game! And the competition editor!

Going well so far for me:

Top of the league winning every game apart from the game at Ibrox where we lost 2-1

In the europa league with Genoa, Hamburg and Apoel Nicosia

Lost 1-0 to Genoa away, beat Hamburg 1-0 at home(Vieri 30 yard screamer) and 3-0 at home to Apoel so looking good for qualification!

Out of the league cup though losing to Falkirk away but I played a very weak team

Can't wait to play a full career trying to make a team capable of winning the champions league! Didnt manage it on 09' :(

Thats exactly how I set up Brown and Crosas. How did that work for you?
gk - boruc

rb/wb - hinkel

lb/wb - fox

cb - otamendi

cb - caldwell

wg -mcgeady

wg - maloney

deep playmaker - crosas

box2box - brown

target - fortune

poacher - fortune

qualified from a group with inter and barca, beat inter home and away

set up the same way except play josh thompson and beat arsenal 2-0 at cp and lost 2-1 away beat porto away/home slavia prauge home/away drew with barca home lost away finished top after 6 months 12 clear of hibs

set up the same way except play josh thompson and beat arsenal 2-0 at cp and lost 2-1 away beat porto away/home slavia prauge home/away drew with barca home lost away finished top after 6 months 12 clear of hibs

great minds ;)

i just realised i have fortune down twice, one of them is supposed to be mcdonald lol

my starting team is generally:

boruc (sk)

odonkor (awb) /vanderwiel(sfb) dependant on opposition

fox as either awb or sfb

caldenbauer as ball playing cb

andrade

n'guemo( anchorman)

crosas(deeplyingplaymaker) play him in dm next to n'guemo as he finds more space in dm imo

broonie box to box cm in bigger games

mcgeady amr attack winger

maloney aml inside forward scored 7in9 i think

smolarek goal a game ratio as complete forward

sammy against smaller clubs to get more goals as a pairing sacrificing the cm

I started playing a 4 -3-1-2 formation. Went brilliantly in the friendlies but choked on the league. Lyon knocked me out of the UCL. I got beat 2-1 at iPox.

Then in November I pushed the wings up and had a 3man attacking midfield. So playing a 4-1-3-2 formation with Maloney doing really well on the left and McGeady in the middle.

Crossas or n'guemo as the holding mid.

I have sufferred big injuries though. Brown cruciate. Boruc torn hamstring.

I got Camara for nowt and Suchy for next to nothing. Also picked up Viduka but he is crap.I sold Robson for 2.5mil

Archived