FM 10: Official Chelsea Thread - Pride of London

el sid

Hey guys, I started a challenge in the challenge forum, which you can see here. Basically you need to build a team of giants (6ft3 +), I opted to keep a few of the 6ft2ers but bring in no-one smaller than 6ft3. So it meant getting rid of a lot of players, so apologies for destroying your team :D. Anyway, I thought i'd post my progress in here as I think I will get a bit more feedback here rather than in the challenge thread.

So here's my first (and only) post from that thread:

Right... After a VERY eventful transfer window here is how my Chelsea side are looking:

OUTS

José Bosingwa - £12.75m (Man Utd)

Salomon Kalou - £7m (Porto)

Ivanovic - £6.25m (Sunderland)

Carvalho - £21m (Man City)

Ashley Cole - £23.5m (Man City)

Deco - £5m (Bayern)

Daniel Sturridge - Loan fee £500k, agreed price £3.7m (Sunderland)

Malouda - £12.25m (Man City)

Lampard - £37m (Man City)

Anelka - Loan Fee £1.5m, agreed price £8.5m (Werder Bremen)

Joe Cole - £11.75m (Everton)

Total = £138m

Now the interesting part:

INS

Simon Rolfes - £13m (6ft3)

Mats Hummels - £11m (6ft4)

Gilberto Silva - £3m (6ft3)

Edin Dzeko - £20m (6ft4)

Nikola Zigic - £12m (6ft8)

Oscar Cardozo - £7.5m (6ft4)

Bodmer - £20m (6ft3)

Per Mertesacker - £15m (6ft6)

Naldo - £12.5m (6ft6)

Fellaini - £25m (6ft4)

Marko Milinkovic - £1m (6ft6)

Felix Kroos - £3m (6ft3)

Fazio - £11m (6ft5)

Lukas Sinkiewicz - £6.5m (6ft3)

Westermann - £7m (6ft3)

Total = £168m

So a COMPLETE overhaul here. Probably overpaid on a few players, but had loads of cash and really needed to get some players in while I could. I think i've done a decent job transforming Chelsea into a monster side. And also turning Man City into a Champions League team to be feared!

I've made a tactic which i'll stick with for 10 games or so and see how the team gel. Done well in pre-season (which I get my ass. man to do) only conceding once and scoring 15 in 5 games.

My formation is this:

- - - - - - - - - Cech

- - - Naldo - - Terry - - - Alex

- - - - - - - - - Mikel

- - - Ballack - Essien - Fellaini

- - - - - - - - Bodmer

- - - - - - Dzeko - - Drogba

Subs:

Silva

Sinkiewicz

Zigic

Cardozo

Hummels

Kroos

Rolfes

Currently injured:

Mertesacker

Naldo

Matic

I'm thinking of putting someone else at AMC because Bodmer does everything right, but he can not finish. So any suggestions here would be great.

I know Essien isn't 6"3 but I couldn't bring myself to sell him. He can deffo hold his own against these beasts though ;)... I'll be playing narrow and through the middle and hope I don't get caught to often on the wings, although with my CBs I SHOULD be able to deal with any balls that get flung into the box.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, for the youth, I'd keep Mancienne as he's good enough to be backup and doesn't complain, Jack Cork, I made the mistake of selling him then had to bring him back fro the champions league home grown rules. On my game, Sam Hutchinson is a regular for Aston Villa, Bertrand has gone to Man Utd, but Stoch hasn't made the cut for anyone, neither has Woods.

Can anyone think of a young, preferably english, replacement for Lampard who is now 33 in my game? I have Hamsik as my other CM, and I'm usuing Jonjo Shelvey there at the moment, but he's just not cutting it. Any ideas?

ok this is my current team/line-up...

picture1tc.th.png

So far played 6, won 6, drawn 0, lost 0.

Scored 9 Conceded 0.

Top Scorer = Aguero - 3

Best AvR = Essien - 7.40

Worst AvR = Ribery - 6.62

Although my attacking players are very good, im struggling to score! my defence is solid, hence the 0 goals conceded.

How would you change my team? i mean, shall i play Young out wide and drop Gourcuff to the bench? Aguero up front? i dont know... just want some advice as how i may score more with these players!

Oh and i have Zarate on loan with a £10m option to buy... shall i sign him?

I'd drop Zarate to the left, move Aguero up front, the put either Ribery or Gourcuff behind the strikers, with the other playing on the right. Aguero up front as a Trequarista scores bucket loads for me, and I play Gourcuff as the AMC. In the long term, maybe look to getting a new AML? Hope that helps.

Also, meant to say earlier, good luck to Mikal and ChrisCryptic. Come on the Blues!

Jan update on my game guys!

Premier League

npgi2g.jpg

Carling Cup

Ive never had such an easy run in this cup! Following on from Newcastle who i beat 4-1 in the 4th round, i then draw Reading who we comfartably dispatched 3-0. Semi final times and ive been drawn with Bristol City LOL brilliant, just hope i can avoid an upset like Canal.

FA Cup

Just beat Newcastle 2-0 at home and have Stoke next at the Britannia Stadium.

Champs League

Qualified top of our group in the end after spanking Inter 3-0 at the Bridge and drawing 2-2 at Athletico Madrid. Sevilla await in the 1st knockout round.

Squad Stats

15nnhvl.jpg

I was dissapointed to lose Drogs for 3 months with a torn hamstring, Pazzini stepped up to the plate wonderfully though and Drogs should be back with us in 3 weeks i hope he can pick up where he left off. Dzagoev also got himself a long term injury, a torn calf muscle, and will be out for a further 2 months :( Joe cole is a genius aswell.

Looking good there ballinisahabit, and you bucket, both with nice looking squads. Mr. Ozio, I would accept the offer, you can replace Joe Cole with a younger alternative who can grow to being a better player, or if you wanted someone immediate, I'd recommend Gourcuff :)

Ok, back from Dragon Age. On to get my second season under way. Defending on four fronts, throw in the Super Cup and world club thingamajig.

A shame about being in the red, cancelled the youth team upgrade. I found in 09 that a new stadium was really needed to get some good gate receipt income.

Anyone seen this before:

i1laxl.jpg

He got a 5.8 rating against Porto so i gave him a warning, he accepted it, then banged in a goal against City in FA cup semi final and i got that message. I done it with Joey Cole aswell he got a 6.0 against the Arse so i gave him a warning, he didnt take too kindly to it and declared unfair treatment, he now has a 'Slt' next to his name but has banged in 3 goals and set 3 up in the next four games!

Also never taken the risk before, but nice one on getting the right reaction from Drogba. Just won the league again in my 3rd season, now 3 in a row, this season was tougher though, I lost and drew more games than before, but luckily so did my nearest challengers Man City, so I maintained a healthy gap throughout. Sunderland have been my bogey team though, they beat me 3-0 at their place and drew 2-2 at mine, Darren Bent scored all 5 of their goals, he's been a real pain!

first time as chelsea and jst after a bit of advice!

firstly, best way to play drogba complete forward or???

also i am looking for a deep lying midield playmaker (mc) i dont believe chelsea have a fabregas, alonso etc so who can do this job?? or maybe a advanced playmaker instead??

would really appritcate help here as other team threads have not been as useful as yourself??????????????? thanks.

first time as chelsea and jst after a bit of advice!

firstly, best way to play drogba complete forward or???

also i am looking for a deep lying midield playmaker (mc) i dont believe chelsea have a fabregas, alonso etc so who can do this job?? or maybe a advanced playmaker instead??

would really appritcate help here as other team threads have not been as useful as yourself??????????????? thanks.

I find Drogba plays best as a sole striker, complete forward role. Not saying he can't play otherwise, but that's just my opinion.

Also I usually pick up Vaart from R.M. and use him as a playmaker, but not in the playmaking role. Him/Deco/Ballack as AMs and Essien/Lampard as Ms are a pretty good force. Matic in my game has been doing very well also.

Well my first exit is League Cup, fourth round against Man U. (Beat them 2-0 earlier in the league) Lost 2-0, at Stamford Bridge.

Rather annoyed since we had 18 chances on goal, 8 on target, 2 clear cut. They also had 8 on target but 4 clear cut. The first goal conceded was horrible. Cech rushed out to clear but scooped it across to the right flank where Vicinic could long shot into an open goal. Pathetic.

Woah that is poor finishing. At least you won the game though, we've all had games like that but usually I end up losing or drawing. Started my fourth season and I'm now seeing a distinct lack of quality young players ready to take over from my aging stars. For example, John Terry is now 31, yet Otamendi still seems in capable of filling his shoes, as he makes mistakes and gets sent off (a problem I hear a lot of people are having), Sakho is better but still cannot dominate the game like JT does. Lampard is 34, and Shelvey is still very hit and miss, though improving. Basically, once these guys retire, I'm hoping that the regens coming through will be good enough. Trying to rush through this season though, desperate to move to my new 57000 seater stadium, Bracken Park! :D

Anyone had experience with J.Cork in the first team? I messed up on my transfers at the start and forgot to bring in cover for my midfield to carry me through the ACN. I was looking to give him a few outings here and there and slowly develop him that way, but now i'm left with little choice than to throw him in the thick of it. Thanks in advance.

Omg drogba cant last for 1 season, hes horrible when hes in the 2nd. Can't even score in one on ones, luckily i have dzeko and cassano =)

Maybe he's going through a bad patch? Or you aren't deploying him the right way? Personally i've never had him this good, he's just gone silly with the amount of goals he's accumulating. Also he seems to score most of his goals in big matches.

11didierdrogba.png

Playing two up top. Drogba and rossi! with lampard behind in an trisquartista role. drogba doing brilliant as a complete forward however rossi not so great. Been playing rossi as advanced forward. anyone else had exspirence with rossi and the best way to play him???????????????????????/

Hey guys, just a quick update, in October season 4, Shelvey has now really stepped up his game, won player of the month every month so far, already on 11 goals for this season, great performance from him. Other standout performer has been Robert Acquafresca, who stepped in when Dzeko got injured and is now keeping him out the team with some great ratings and a lot of goals.

Rayleehammer, I haven't bought Rossi myself, but I'd try him as a poacher, seems like he has the stats to me. Maybe a deep-lying forward too.

No idea about over-confidence, just seems to happen once you're on a good run. Maybe in press conferences start being really negative about keeping the run going?

No idea about players not liking you cause of low-rep. Since I picked former international which is enough to manage Chelsea. I think it is a bug, one that existed in FM09 also. Personal issues, understandable. Low rep, no sense at all.

Archived