FM2009 - Official Wigan Athletic Thread

Teezy.

Wigan Athletic

wigan_athletic-new-crest.jpg

Wigan Athletic Football Club is a professional football team based in Wigan, Greater Manchester, England. They compete in the Premier League, the highest division of football in England, in which they have been playing since their promotion from the Football League in 2005. Wigan's current spell in the Premier League is the only top flight run in the club's history. They play at the JJB Stadium, which they share with the rugby league club Wigan Warriors. The club is the youngest in its division, being only 76 years old.

Football Manager 2009 Information

Nation - England

Year Founded - 1932

Status - Professional

Reputation - National

Chairman Status - Loves The Club

Legends - Arjan De Zeeuw, Andy Liddel

Icons - Robert Martinez

Favoured Personnel - Stuart Barlow, Paul Jewell, Alex Cribley, Lee McCulloch, John Filan, Nathan Elington, Ray Mathias

Fierce Rivals - Bolton, Preston, Stoke

Other Rivals - Burnley, Man City

Finances - Secure

Average Ticket Price - £17

Average Season Ticket Price - £240

Season Ticket Holders - 12500

Estimated Value - £33 Million (Loan Debt £22 Million)

Continental Competition - None

Media Prediction - 16th

Squad Personality - Determined

Captain - Mario Melchiot

Vice Captain - Emile Heskey

Finances

Balance - £9.32m

Transfer Budget - £2m (Avoid Relegation). £2.6m (Mid-Table Finish). £2.9m (Top-Half Finish). £3.1m (Continental Qualification Through League Finish). £3.4m (Title Challenge). £3.6m (Winner).

Wage Budget - £375k (Avoid Relegation). £425k (Mid-Tabel Finish). £450k (Mid-Table Finish). £450k (Continental Qualification Through League Finish). £450K (Title Challenge). £450k (Winner).

Currently Spending On Wages -£368,381 per week.

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers - Chris Kirkland, Mike Pollitt.

Defenders - Emmerson Boyce, Maynor Figueroa, Titus Bramble, Paul Scharner, Mario Melchiot, Ryan Taylor, Erik Edman.

Midfielders - Kevin Kilbane, Lee Catermole, Michael Brown, Daniel De Ridder, Jason Koumas, Wilson Palacios, Antonio Valencia, Oliver Kapo.

Strikers - Henri Camera, Emile Heskey, Amir Zaki.

Squad Analysis

Goalkeeper - In Chris Kirkland you have a very solid goalkeeper, and a replacement is not needed. Although, your back-up - Mike Pollit, is not imo a very good replacement, especially with him being 36 years of age. A replacement should be signed.

Left Back - Your only real recognized left back in the squad is Erik Edman. He is a very solid defensive left-back who is not afraid to attack when needed too. Your other options include Kevin Kilbane, who although is not naturally a left-back, can be relied to play there, although I wouldn't play him consistently through-out the season, and Ryan Taylor, who is more of a right-back. Maynor Figueroa can also play here, but imo is a much better centre back.

Right Back - You have two fairly good right backs in Mario Melchiot and Ryan Taylor, and tbh it justs depends how you play on whom you should select. If you play a defensive game, with full-backs that choose to sit back, then go with Mario Melchiot, as he is far superior to Ryan Taylor in defensive stats. But if you play an attacking game, with attacking full-backs, then choose to select Ryan Taylor, as he as very good attacking stats, and only average defensive stats.

Centre Back - Your two starting centre backs imo should be Paul Scharner, and Maynor Figueroa. Paul Scharner is a very reliable centre-back, and although he is incredibly versitile, his preffered position is at the centre of defence. Maynor Figueroa is a very good centre back, and although some of his defensive stats are not the best, he is very strong. Your other two options at centre back are Titus Bramble - who is probably best known for his mistakes rather than exceptional defending, but can be relied on if any injuries occur, and Emmerson Boyce - who again, may not have the best defensive stats, can always be relied on to cover at centre back.

Centre Midfield (Defensive) - Your best option here is Lee Cattermole, who was signed from Middelsborough for a bargain £3.5m. He is very good at getting the team out of trouble, and marking attacking players out of a game. Another option here is Paul Scharner, and although he is comfortable playing in the centre of the park, I prefer to use him in defence. Your final option is Michael Brown, but I would look to sell him.

Centre Midfield (Attacking) - One of Wigans best players, and a personal favourite of mine - Wilson Palacios - is an exceptional player and is a certain to play here. Although his stats aren't the best, he will always perform above them. He has good pace, and can play as a box-to-box midfielder when required. Jason Koumas can also be asked to play here, and although he is better on the wings, if you are chasing a game, he is a nice player to bring on and attempt to change the game. Oliver Kapo is also very good in this position and I can see why some players will prefer him over Wilson Palacios. He has very good attacking stats, but I believe he can be a bit greedy, and this can result in you losing the ball, and sometimes conceding a goal.

Left Midfield - A bit of a problem area for Wigan imo. Kevin Kilbane is the only natural left midfielder, and I don't rate him, also age is not on his side at 31 years old. Another play who can be relied on here is Oliver Kapo, but he prefers to play attacking midfield, and is not natural in this position. I would definately sign a new left midfielder as quick as possible.

Right Midfield - Your best right midfielder by a mile, is Antonio Valencia, and after signing from Villarreal for a bargain £4m, he has made the right midfield spot his own. He has exceptional attacking stats, such as crossing, dribbling, passing, technique and pace. But he also has very good defensive stats such as exceptional tackling, which means he will not mind tracking back, and helping out his right back. Wilson Palacios and Jason Koumas can also play here, but imo, you should not look any further than Antonio Valencia for this position.

Strikers - You have just three recognized stikers in the squad, which imo is not alot. Your first choice should be Emile Heskey, and although he has taken alot of stick down the years, he is finally being accepted has an exceptional target man. Amr Zaki is another striker at Wigan, and has been likened to Alan Shearer. His attacking stats aren't exceptional, but he and Emile Heskey should definately be your starting strikers. Your only other striker is Henri Camera, and although a bit of a fan favourite, I would look to sell him.

Starting Eleven (Without Signings)

GK - Chris Kirkland

DL - Erik Edman

DR - Mario Melchiot

CB - Maynor Figueroa

CB - Paul Scharner

ML - Oliver Kapo

MR - Antonio Valencia

MCa - Wilson Palacios

MCd - Lee Cattermole

STa - Amr Zaki

STd - Emile Heskey

Best Player at Wigan Athletic

AntonioValencia_228x342.jpg

Luis Antonio Valencia Mosquera (born August 4, 1985 in Lago Agrio) is an Ecuadorian football winger. He joined Wigan from Villarreal for a fee of around £4m, and has been a regular on the Wigan right flank ever since. He will attract alot of attention from bigger clubs, but I would keep him at all costs. I would play him with a very attacking mentality, forwards runs, run with ball and cross ball often. I would also consider giving him a free role due his exceptional attacking stats. Although he is only 22 years of age, imo he is Wigans best player.

Most Promising Player at Wigan Athletic

119954054-soccer-barclays-premier-league-aston-villa-v-wigan-athletic-villa.jpg

Wilson Roberto Palacios Suazo (born July 29, 1984 in La Ceiba) is a Honduran football midfielder. He signed for Wigan from Olimpia in Honduras after a loan spell at Birmingham City. Although Wilson Palacios is 23 years of age, he has the most potential out of the entire Wigan squad. Like Antonio Valencia, big teams will become interested, but I would look to keep him. I would play him a with a fairly attacking mentality, run with ball and forwards run mixed. I would ask him to try through balls often.

Recommend Signings

Wigans weakest positions imo are Left Midfield, and up-front. I would also look to sign a back-up goalkeeper, and maybe a new centre back.

Left Midfield - Bobby Convey, Ali Karimi, Marcelo.

Striker - Lee McCulloch, Eidur Gudjohnson, Carlos Vela (Loan)

Goalkeeper - Vincent Enyeama, Justo Villar.

Centre Back - Aquivaldo Mosquera, Alex Song (Loan)

Why Should I Play as Wigan?

Wigan Athletic are an exceptional team, with a very patient chairman, and they do not have the highest expectations. You are expected to keep the club in the Premiership, which imo, anyone should be able to do.

Wow!!!Finally a Wigan thread!!! And a nice one too...Good Job..My first game was dramatic...Liverpool up 3-0 in the first half..But second half..my squad turn the tide and won 4-3 at Anfield..A historic win!!!Record signing Kevin Doyle scored a hat-trick!!Too bad forget to save a screenshot..Btw, in the new patch,the mid-table transfer budget is 6million pounds...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started as Wigan yesterday, seems like every single one of my players is wanted and unsettled though :D

A few wheelings and dealings:

In:

Robert Lewandowski - £1m

Leonardo - £1.2m

Darren O'Dea - £1m

Roberto Lago - £130k

Roland Linz - Loan

Out:

Released five awful reserve team players.

Pre-season went quite well, highlights being 3-0 wins over Porto and Club Brugge. First game now against Man City :o

Good luck lads. I played as Wigan on 9.1.0 (my first game is always with Wigan) and while I barely avoided relegation in the first year, I finished 4th the second year and qualified for the CL knockout rounds in the third season before stopping and moving on to a new 9.2.0 game. Lewandowski was a revelation for me, so hopefully you'll have luck with him too. Personally, I sold Heskey after the first season. Signed Zaki full-time to partner Lewandowski. And then when one of my scouts spotted a wonderkid regen... heheheheh.

I don't know how good Gavin Gunning is in your games, but I signed him and he's a rock in defence for me. Also, Razvan Rat from Shakhtar, who should be available for less than £3M.

• 2 weeks later...

well i finished the season a respectable 11th

in january

sold

mario melchiot £1.2 million

paul scharner £6 million (release fee) so couldnt stop it

daniel de ridder £2 million

brought

kikin fonesca £1.8 million

oguchi onyewu £1.5 million

got knocked out of fa cup and league cup early on

hopefully next season i will get a bigger budget to work with and hoping to compete for fa cup aswell as maintain a mid table finish

i have just finished my first season finished in 15th and melchiot contrat is about to expire, thinking of letting him go and putting ryan taylor in his place is this a good move? all the previous season i played taylor on the left wing was alright and filled the hole for a while but am thinking of buyin a new left winger any ideas?

IV. How do I Post a Screenshot?

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager is open

2. Go to the screen you want to show

3. Press 'Prt Sc', normally next to or near F12 on your keyboard

4. Open Paint, or a similar program

5. Paste the image by either pressing 'Ctrl + V' or going to edit, then paste.

6. Save the file as a JPEG

7. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

8. Post the Direct URL onto this site

Or

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager after Football Manager 2008 is open

3. Press Alt+F9

4. A screenshot of what you want will be saved in My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager __\Screenshots

5. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

6. Post the Direct URL onto this site

Tosic isn't that special on 9.2.0, he's decent at best. For £6million? I'd look around first.

I have a good run with Wigan. First ever trophy in my 3rd season winning the uefa cup. No domestic trophies yet. Another silverware is the charity shield in my 4th season. Mid way throughout the 4th season and top of the league and qualified to the knockout stage in CL. The only players left in the team from the default ones are; kirkland, cattermole, valencia and zaki. I sold plentiful of players in the first 2 seasons accumulating about 100m. A great deal to purchase the likes of jovetic, marquinhos, downing, taylor and baines as my core players. Zaki has been the euro top marksman from season 1 -3. unfortunately he might have lost his place in the starting eleven. I have got a stadium of 40k capacity but unable to increase much higher as the "council" thingy is preventing it. Other facilities has been the best with 2 affl teams for commercial benefits. On side notes, are there possibility for capacity to increase with the council preventing it for the past 1 year? This is the furthest i've been for FM09. I also just realised ticket price increases 1 Bux only every year. How can Wigan earn income regularly in order to be one of the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Think Wigan is a good challenge on FM09 -

Here is my team & transfers so far, just finished Jan Transfer Window - 7th in PL, out of LC & in FAC 5th round, not bad so far!!!!!!!!!!!!

GK - Kirkland/Ochoa ( Just got him )/Enyeama

DR - Taylor/M Morton

DL - Mathieu/Masilela

DC - T Silva/Diakhate

DC - Scharner/Yussuf

MC - Palacios/Carioca

MC - Cattermole/Yussuf

AMRC - Obasi/T Todorov

AMC - Valencia/Marquinhos ( Just got him )

AMLC - D Ba/Kapo

FC - Pogrebnyak ( Legend )/Marquinhos

As you can see I sold all the Rubbish inc. Heskey for £9.75m, Koumas £5.75m, Boyce £5.75m, Brown £3m, Bramble £2.9m & got £5m for Edman ( In Jan ) without playing a game, but kept the core of the team which is decent.

Have also loaned a few out to reduce wages and get other clubs interested.

Had a slow start basically W,L,D but won all 6 league games in Nov to shoot me up the table.

Retrained Valencia to play behind the FC and has won player of the month a couple of times.

Pogrebnyak has scored 27 in all comps already and as discussed a million times already is the best FC by a mile - hope he gets to 30 PL goals & 40 in total.

Thiago Silva is also Brilliant and him & Poggy costing £5m together you cannot argue.

Hope I can keep this going a try and get the EuroVase space - Then Mr Whelan can give me a good Transfer budget in the summer.

Im assuming all the Big Guns will start sniffing round my players soon but hope I can keep the team together.

Ive also noticed on FM09 that its critical to change the coaching staff, ive already got 6 of them up to 6/7 stars.

I think thats enough for now, Will keep you updated!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm at a similar stage to Robchamp (halfway through Jan 09) and am 9th in the League. Here's my team, and significant back-ups (some big changes!)

GK: Kirkland

RB: Taylor

LB: Edman (I intended to sell him but he's playing out of his skin!)

CB: Caceres (Loan)/ Wheater

CB: Gary Cahill

DM: Javi Garcia (Dan Gosling back up)

CM: Palacios / Reo-Coker-- bargain at £5.5m!

CM: Cattermole/ Jamie O'Hara

AMR: Valencia

AML: Tosic

ST: Zaki (with Keirrison and Lewandowski as back up)

I've been shcoked by the money I've been able to get for some of the players and had anticipated the kind of rebuilding I've done so far to take 2-3 seasons.

Wigan are a great time to start with on FM09!

Think Wigan is a good challenge on FM09 -

Here is my team & transfers so far, just finished Jan Transfer Window - 7th in PL, out of LC & in FAC 5th round, not bad so far!!!!!!!!!!!!

GK - Kirkland/Ochoa ( Just got him )/Enyeama

DR - Taylor/M Morton

DL - Mathieu/Masilela

DC - T Silva/Diakhate

DC - Scharner/Yussuf

MC - Palacios/Carioca

MC - Cattermole/Yussuf

AMRC - Obasi/T Todorov

AMC - Valencia/Marquinhos ( Just got him )

AMLC - D Ba/Kapo

FC - Pogrebnyak ( Legend )/Marquinhos

As you can see I sold all the Rubbish inc. Heskey for £9.75m, Koumas £5.75m, Boyce £5.75m, Brown £3m, Bramble £2.9m & got £5m for Edman ( In Jan ) without playing a game, but kept the core of the team which is decent.

Have also loaned a few out to reduce wages and get other clubs interested.

Had a slow start basically W,L,D but won all 6 league games in Nov to shoot me up the table.

Retrained Valencia to play behind the FC and has won player of the month a couple of times.

Pogrebnyak has scored 27 in all comps already and as discussed a million times already is the best FC by a mile - hope he gets to 30 PL goals & 40 in total.

Thiago Silva is also Brilliant and him & Poggy costing £5m together you cannot argue.

Hope I can keep this going a try and get the EuroVase space - Then Mr Whelan can give me a good Transfer budget in the summer.

Im assuming all the Big Guns will start sniffing round my players soon but hope I can keep the team together.

Ive also noticed on FM09 that its critical to change the coaching staff, ive already got 6 of them up to 6/7 stars.

I think thats enough for now, Will keep you updated!!!!!!!!!!!

Just started preseason 09/10. Had a great 08/09.

Managed to finish 5th in the league but got knocked out of both cups near the halway stage.

Pogrebnyak finished with 29 league goals & 36 in total, he was signing of the season with T.Silva runner up, worst signings were Koumas & Boyce which made me laugh.

I wanted to keep the team together but knew the vultures were circling.

I said I would qualify for Europe so Whelan gave me £30m to spend.

Hers my main In & Outs -

In -

A.Teixeira - £10m

Guilherme - £11.25m

Hazard - £6.25m

Fellaini - £25m

Sakho - £22m

Gassama - £5m

Bojan yes Bojan - Free

Sturridge - Free

Then a load of Free decent kids

Outs -

T.Silva - £19.5m - Whelan accepted Real Madrid Bid

Kapo - £5m

Appiah - £5m

Enyeama - £2.9m

De Ridder - £2.5m

King - £2.5m

GK - Kirkland/Ochoa

DR - Taylor/Gassama

DL - Mathieu/Masilela

DC - Diakhate/Sakho

DC - Yussuf/Scharner

MC - Palacios/Carioca

MC - Fellaini/Cattermole

AMRC - Obasi/Teixeira/Jankovic

AMC - Valencia/Guilherme

AMLC - D Ba/Marquinhos

FC - Pogrebnyak/Bojan/Sturridge

The board have also given me an extra £17m to spend but im going to save that for now.

Ive basically bought quality up & coming players who will blend into the squad as ive managed to keep 10 of my 1st 11 together.

Ive also got all my coaching attributes up to 6/7 stars.

My stadium & facilities are also being upgraded so things are looking good.

Hoping for a similar season to 08/09 with a cup win ( hopefully )!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll on wigan!

Just started as Wigan, 4 games in, won 3, drawn 1 excellent win against Everton 4-0! I've not made many changes . Bought Ross Turnbull and Frank Queudrue and on loan got Carlton Cole(he's been a goal machine so far) and Fabio Ceravolo, also got Thomas Gravesen on free. I decided that Heskey was staying until at least January then if he wants to move on he can. How much have people been paying for Pogrebnyak?

just started as wigan as well, sold emile heskey and brought in pavel pogbrenyak for 4 mil who has been amazing, as well as andrea soncin (bk up striker) on loan, radek sirl - (got linked with him in papers- checked him out - amazing!) for lw and jonny magallon as cb.

sold kilbane, bramble, heskey,camera while de ridder is on a season long loan with view to a permenant transfer.

managed to get ryan taylor to sign anew contract and hes now my highest paid player, but due to his versatility i think hes invaluable for my small squad

had a dodgy start to the season but went on 5 game winning streak involvig wins over local rivals stoke as well as chelsea, before slipping back down. currently on 11th place, 12 points above relegation zone - board aim is to avoid relegation

whats really suprised me are the players - i thought koumas was one of the best players but hes been awfl, i started with palacios and cattermole in the middle but cattermole has been awful, bumped scharner up to cm with palacios and put boyce cb, was a bit wary but hes been really good. sold koumas in januray and got raul bravo in on loan to replace figuerora.

also ridiculous how many other clubs are after my players, i have wanted symbols next to erik edman (rejected 5 mil bid for him), emmerson boyce, paul scharner (rejected 7 from blackburn), mario melchiot, ryan taylor, wilson palcios, antonio valencia, jonny magallon, lee cattermole and pavel pog.

my highlight is beating fulham 6-1 away after roy hodgson sed before the game i was likely to go down, ill post a screenshot but i dont know how to save a screenshot as a picture :S

jonnyd1403

IV. How do I Post a Screenshot?

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager is open

3. Press 'Prt Sc', normally next to or near F12 on your keyboard

4. Open Paint, or a similar program

5. Paste the image by either pressing 'Ctrl + V' or going to edit, then paste.

6. Save the file as a JPEG

7. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

8. Post the Direct URL onto this site

Or

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager after Football Manager 2008 is open

3. Press Alt+F9

4. A screenshot of what you want will be saved in My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager __\Screenshots

5. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack

6. Post the Direct URL onto this site

Might help you.

finsihed my first season in 11th, had a great run towards end of season and was only 6 points off 6th, just wish i hadnt had such a bad start to the season.

got offered a new two year contract, and incredibly considering i got 5 mil to spend first season, got given 20 million to spend, which i got up to 26.5 million after selling some reserves (marlon king, daniel de ridder). signed a czech rb on a free for cover, and segundo castillo on a free also for cover. i beat off competition from shalke to sign bojan :):):) who looks fantastic already, on a free, but got rejected by daniel sturridge who chose relegated hull instead :S signed amr zaki permanently for 4 million as he had a great first season.

i have problems however, sold emmerson boyce for 4.9 million and desperately need a class new cb. newcastle wanted 19 million plus pavel pogbrenyak for coloccini!, while i had a bid accepted for steven taylor, who is class on it, but man city came in and nicked it. frederico fazio and a villeraeal cb both rejected contracts, and im really stuck on who to buy for the position now.

also, my squad is pretty thin, but the unsettling influence on my team is ridiculous with all the bids im getting. ive had bids for kirkland, magallon, boyce(sold), valencia, palacios, ryan taylor, scharner, and my two signigns from last season radek sirl and pogbreneyak. most of that list are now unsettled, and i now have wanted status next to brown, cattermole, and edman.

to summarise, good first season, signed bojan!, 26 million to spend BUT in desperate need of a class cb to come in, squad very thin, huge interest in my players, keep rejecting bids but some now unsettled.

Archived