Very Late Opponents Comebacks

Anyone suffering from repeated late comebacks from opponents like this...

img001zj.jpg

What solutions are best to prevent it?

I'm using Classic tactics so i can't use Shouts, although i thought that the 'Retain Possession' was not all that effective either.

Another annoying thing is when i get told every week that i'm about to be sacked! If i'm doing badly then that is fair enough, but i'm stringing unbeaton runs together yet every week i get the same message again!

img001lpq.jpg

img001t.jpg

img001fw.jpg

Those screens go on and on each week despite these results...

img001hv.jpg

Check the dates as they do match up although i've only actually provided 3 of the many warnings i was given.

I tried playing with Sunderland and suffered the same very late comeback problem...

41k6a4hgd0lss500.jpg

The first 85 mins i looked a class well above Birmingham, but with only 5 minutes left Birmingham suddenly turned into a wonder team and scored two goals from two shots. I find this very hard to believe that Birmingham can suddenly start playing like this and why so effective?

If I'm defending a lead in the last 10-15 minutes I make a few changes:

Switch to "Contain".

Use the "Play even safer" shout.

Change my wingers to the wide midfielder positions and change their role to "defensive wingers".

Put my ball winning midfielder as a DMC.

It usually works. Haven't lost any leads in the last minutes this season.

This late miracle goals shouldnt be happening so often regardless of tactic. Even Barca can not

produce 2 goals in 2 minutes in real life, nor should some mickey mouse club in FM.

This goals often come from screamers from guys with long shot att of 6 or something.

It`s just anoying and its just one of things, that need to be improved in this othervise great game. Match engine is not good....yet.

Sorry, Makmak, I don't have that happening ever on FM10. Literally. Latest goal I've conceded is the 88th minute.

And I'm not a "pro" at this game by any stretch of the imagination.

The reason you're conceding late goals is because you aren't being brave in your decision making, your players are tired and the opposition has adopted a "Last 15 Minutes" tactic that you simply aren't reacting to.

@Tubey84

Thats what i tryed to say. Late goals displayed above shouldn`t be depended on any tactic, because they are just unrealistic. Conceving 2 goals in 2 minutes is unreal, regardless of tactic. I mean we play or played real football right? How many times does 2 goals in 2 minutes hapen? Or goals in 1st minute? Or red cards in 1st minute? Or penalty in last minute of the most important game?

Why should this things be depended upon tactic? Tactic isnt everything...there is also a common sense.

A lot of the time, if I give up late goals it's because I forgot to sub someone out who was fatigued. Around the 75th or 80th minute check and see how tired your team is, if there are players in the 70s or so sub them out for someone fresh. Depending on the score and what tactic I've been running I usually drop back to a defensive strategy with a rigid philosophy...asking your team to retain possession and drop deeper is pretty much always a good idea in my experience, also, regardless of whether you change overall strategy or not. Sometimes a counterattacking approach is good too. Usually I don't bother dropping someone back to the DM spot unless someone's been sent off.

I haven't used contain much to be honest, against most teams a counter or defensive strategy is sufficient to hold the lead. The only times I've used contain were when I was trying to preserve a draw/upset win against teams like the big four.

Sometimes though, even if you've been running an attacking/fluid style, you can keep running it to the end of the game. The biggest factors in my experience are how deep your defensive line is playing and how tired your players are.

ninja edit: also keep in mind that no matter what you do, fluke goals happen. Just because the odds of something happening are something like .01%, it doesn't mean that it won't happen no matter what. It just means it's an outlier...and it has to, statistically, show up eventually. Sometimes you just get unlucky.

It happened today - Cardiff smashed in two in two minutes against Swansea. Arsenal did it against Tottenham - two in about 50 seconds in fact.

It happens - but it can be avoided by using tactical substitutions and having more than one tactic and approach for each game.

Ok what about red cards in 1st minute? Goals in first minute? Goals from the next attack after you score? How is that conected to tactic?

The problem is, that i actualy watch the games and seeing defenders sudenly act stupit just doesnt make sence.

I'll agree with you that the defensive mistakes look ridiculous on the 3D engine, but all those scenarios DO happen in reality! You're always most vulnerable when you score, players lunge in dangerously off the kick off and sides can get a flick on off a kick off leading to a goal a la San Marino vs. England very early on.

Of course, FM isn't perfect - but I honestly think a lot of people find it easier to point a finger at the match engine, when it's actually the players fault 99% of the time!

With the defenders, you are right. I am also watching Nesta, Thiago, or Onienwu running "without head" and make stupid decision, but it happens in some time of the match. I don't know why they get crazy.

I am playing with your tactic, and I was losing against Lyon (H) and Udinese (A), and get a 3:2, and 2:3 goals in min. 70' So after the 75' it begins. The most time you are watching LIVE beacause the opponents gets chances and chances, and my players are comporting stupid. So, change the tactic, change the tactic every two-three minutes. Because you made the opponent think what to do next. I am changing time-by-time the wasting, (after 80' I play full wasting), defense, tackling, middfeld players give more defense duty, AMC gets att.mid with support, MC are more deffense. After 85' I change to 4-1-3--2 tactic, so that I have 3 MC and the strikers are alone.

Oktober, I never got a late equaliser, but I got a late goal for 4:1, 3:1 or 2:1. But I want it so, beacause I don't want to pay 33.000 € clean sheet bonus :D

play the AI. I got it in FM09. If you make a lot of changes, than the AI can't harm you. And in FM10 the changes happen very quickly, not like in FM09 where you make the tactic change, and the ME don't let you make it, but insteed he give the AI the opportunity to score. And your changes are "for nothing".

Believe me, make AI crazy, and you will hold the score.

These are defensive issues. What about attacking?

Super forwards missing 5 ccc with shots directly to keepers hands. Plus 1 or 2 woodwork hits. How does this relate to tactic? How come teams at the bottom of the league table often score from 1 single shot at the goal? Again, watching the game can make you crazy.

It would make a nice experiment, playing with same players and tactic with 2 different clubs with different reputation. for example Inter against Genoa. Or Barca against Zaragoza. Would you get same or similar resoult? Any bet takers?

I made this thread in FM09, calling it cheating from AI, because it is inpossible to win a match. The AI gets his penaltys, free-kicks, etc... in the last 10 minute of the game.

So, here it has changed. You don't have this, but you have this shoots. It seams really rediculos, but... Now you can say to your player what you want. In FM09 you can't. Ok you, you could, but you had to pull trigger and trigger, to make the right formation. Now, you just say to them to control the ball, to waste time, to don't make stupid fouls, and to some players what they really should do.

And you made all this, but there are still this stupid defenders. And it is nerving me too. It can't be that Thiago and Nesta, lose SOOOO much concatration in the min. 73' that they watch one the other, the ball between them, and the striker goes and takes the ball; or, a long pass and the ball is going toward my 16 metar, and my GK is not going out to shoot it wide, but he stay in his room and let the defenders running with the striker towards a ball, where every GK would make this 4 metar out of the penalty area and take the risk away. We are talking about Abbiati, and not a Coca Cola 2 GK.

And yes indeed, there are this stupid goals, where you have all the chances, and the opposite gets just a single one and scores. But look after it, it happenes in the "confusion" of the defensive line. It is like if they wouldn't know what to do. And the striker gets the ball and score. And this has to do with this "defender stupidity" after min. 70'

But, I am trying to get on it. It has to do with moral, mentality, rating. You have to calm them down

Whilst i do believe that it is caused by tactics rather than cheating i also think SI have got it wrong. Yes it should be possible to score 2 late goals, but look at most of the replies here. Take a striker off, bring an extra defender on, go more defensive etc etc. Should i really need to do this in a home game that i'm winning against Birmingham?

I've read threads where people are saying all sorts of things effect the outcome of a match like... Players morale, lacking in confidence, form, tiredness and it goes on and on. But should all those things not effect Birmingham also?

After being under the cosh for most of the game the tiredness should have effected them more than us as it uses more energy when your chasing the game. Where did they find the confidence as it must have been low. But most of all where did the ability suddenly come from?

Yes it can happen but it is any wonder people claim some results and pre-made?

It appears to me that if you don't change your tactics then your opponents receive a confidence, form and energy boost. Sorry but thats not right.

You are right. But, what do have to lose, if you are losing 2:0? So, attack, and look to do something. And that is why they get the chances. I don't put my striker out. Why should I? If I put them out, they can defend with 3 players, so 1 more is attacking. In this way, there are still 2 strikers, and they can't afford to bring one defender to the attack, because I can score.

BUT!!!!!

All this is ok, but what is when I am down??? This is my problem. Because, when you are down, change what ever you want, but the game don't go on live, the minutes just went away, and at the end you were not able to score. So, is the AI a better manager as me, beacuse he can change so GOOD the tactic, that he is making chances and chances in the last 15 minute, and me, when I want to score in the last minutes, I am not able to create chances, what ever I do. So this is where I think it is a little bit unfair.

And in the end, look the last match: Napoli - Milan. The refree gave them 4 minutes after time, and they score a corner shoot from 18 m. in min. 91' and the next attack, a cross ball, and striker jump above Nesta and scores the equaliser in min. 92'. So, it is possible.

Goals in first minute are prety much as anoying as conseving in last minute. This picture below

is the reason why im sceptical, that all this issues are tactic related. I can dominate the game in all aspects, yet the team from the bottom league table can score in 30 seconds and than again 2 minutes after. Now, i actualy watch the games, so seeing HOW they score, it just feels like one of games i have to loose. And this is a feeling i˙m having often, i can prety much feal when the oponent will score. Both CB suddenly stop at the spot or give away the ball directly to the oposite striker, which of course scores. Yet on the other side my strikers shoot directly in to the keepers hands, with 3-5 ccc of course and i have a feeling that, they can shoot all day and will not score no matter what.

tenerifex.jpg

ahhh makmak, i can understand you. Now there will came more replys to this thread, that your tactic is bad, that you gave a bad instruct to the defender, that your strikers are to free to do what they want, etc...

I stoped with this, and just play on. Try something, Look where they are strong, and go on the other side (middle, go on side. right side, go from left; on the sides, put strong DR,DL and use your best MCs and play throug the middle with control - exploid middfield, and work the ball in to the box.

But your team were unlucky :(

I've found that making tactical changes hinders the team, I prefer to just bring on fresh players in key Positions in order to keep the lead, which is what the Assistant suggests doing anyway.

This works every time I have a comfortable lead, it's 1-0 leads that I've found are better for tactical changes, if you are up by a few goals then obviously your tactics are fine, just bring on some fresh legs.

I agree that there is something seriously wrong with the match engine.

It's sucked all the fun out of the game for me.

The players start to play like muppets, even players like beckham misplace a pass a few feet, where as opponents centre backs launch defence splitting passes whilst under pressure and have a passing skill of 6.

Yet I have to change my tactics..... Not the fact that I tell my full backs to stay wide and man mark their wingers yet evertime the ball comes to them they have yards of space. Not the fact that even with run forward run often run from deep run run run selected a winger on my side will just will not try to beat his man for pace, where the opposition are more than happy to dance through all my squad. Nor is it a problem with tackling and heading, where the ball just always lands in space the opponents occupy, or the fact that the opposition can bend a ball like beckham from 30-40 yards but beckham himself can't even clear the opponents wall.

All in all, I aint all that best pleased with the match engine, I think it sucks for all of the above reasons.

Goals in first minute are prety much as anoying as conseving in last minute. This picture below

is the reason why im sceptical, that all this issues are tactic related. I can dominate the game in all aspects, yet the team from the bottom league table can score in 30 seconds and than again 2 minutes after. Now, i actualy watch the games, so seeing HOW they score, it just feels like one of games i have to loose. And this is a feeling i˙m having often, i can prety much feal when the oponent will score. Both CB suddenly stop at the spot or give away the ball directly to the oposite striker, which of course scores. Yet on the other side my strikers shoot directly in to the keepers hands, with 3-5 ccc of course and i have a feeling that, they can shoot all day and will not score no matter what.

tenerifex.jpg

I just conceded after 36 seconds in my first league game of the season.

Hi makmak

Here you have a prove of a nice comeback. So, it is possible to end the game for you, you only have to know what do you want and what to do.

http://rapidshare.com/files/304706694/A.C._Milan_v_Bari_comeback.pkm.html

So, I got a fast goal in min. 6'. Wow, but I still believe in them. And then min. 14' it was 0:2 for Bari. My attack is not working, nothing seams to go as I wish. So what should I do? First, I need goals, so I overload them. I have nothing to lose, they are Bari, so I can risk to put more players in attack. To understand: I am playing the whole 90 min the same tactic: 4-1-2-1-2

I have allways the monitor: player rating and the mentality. Bring ball forward, and exploit the middfield.

Half time: 0:2 ; I attack the team without pardon, you are letting the team down. So, at min. 55' Di Gennaro has a 0 moral, so I change him for Ambro, and changed Ambro to his position (DMC) and Flamini on MC. Strikers didn't work, I mean Dzeko can't score, so I swaped him with Pato. I am still pushing them to overload the box, to get the ball forward, and to do it trough middfield. Quick after the swap of STs, there is the goal of Pato, 1:2

Now, I don't change tactic? Why? They are under schock! They hold the result, and now they got the 1:2. So I think they are telling to them selfs, ok, it is just the one, we can do it. So I let my team do the same again, the same aggresive tactic, and 2 min. after the 1:2 there is Seedorf with 2:2 woooow!!! Man I am back. What to do? To go just attack or controle the game? Nooo, they are now crazy, Bari player can't believe what is happaning, because so it is in the real life. Overload them. I think Beckenbauer said this: when the opponent recieve a goal, in the next 5 minutes, they are so vulnerably in the defense, that if you press them down, you have 85% of chance to score the second too. And that is what I did, and 2 min. after the 2:2 Pato strikes again :) From 0:2 to 3:2 in just 5 min. That is football, that is confusion, that is attacking and demoralising the opponent.

And now, I went to the normal mode controle the game. I got later a 4:2, but the 3 goals were "something" that I missed since years in FM. It proves that you can do unbelievable things, if you know what to do. And it is true: attack is the best defence ;)

hehe :)

yeah indid, I don't do that now :) Why should I? The players are doing that what I want. And if I lose, i will accept it, becuase the players have done that what I asked them, but the opponent was better.

But, I played only 8 matches, and like I said, Palermo, Fiorentina, Juventus, and Inter has to come :( So, I don't think that I will hold my unebatibel run. But I will try to hold it until these matches :)

So, guys, I must go sleep, I have work tomorow, so, see you tomorow evening

cheers, and keep play

Archived