FM10: Official Sport Lisboa e Benfica Thread - O Glorioso

ibra8

Welcome to the thread of:

The Biggest Club in the World

Sport Lisboa e Benfica

E Pluribus Unum

500pxslbenficalogosvg.png

Brief History

Sport Lisboa e Benfica commonly referred to as Benfica, is a multisports club based in Lisbon, Portugal. Although, they compete in a number of different sports, Benfica is mainly known for its football team. Historically, Benfica has been one of the most successful football clubs in Portugal and is one of the "Três Grandes" or Big Three football clubs in Portugal, with FC Porto and Sporting CP being the other two clubs.

Benfica was one of the founding members of the Portuguese Liga in 1933, and, together with FC Porto and Sporting CP, they have never been relegated from the First Division (Primeira Divisão) of Portuguese football.

On 28 February 1904, Sport Lisboa e Benfica (originally known as Grupo Sport Lisboa (Lisbon Sport Group)) was founded during a meeting in the southwest part of Lisbon involving 24 young men, led by Cosme Damião. As a result of this meeting, one of the most popular and successful football clubs in Portugal was created, as well as one of the most internationally recognized football clubs in the world.

Due to the success and popularity of the football club, Benfica has built the biggest fan base among the “tres grandes” or big three clubs (Benfica, Porto, and Sporting) in Portugal. Benfica also has one of the biggest fan bases in the world with many supporters outside of Portugal in countries like Andorra, Angola, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Cape Verde, France, Germany, Guinea-Bissau, Luxembourg, Macao, Switzerland, and United States.[3] Currently, Benfica has the largest number of supporters worldwide for a Portuguese club with a total number of around 14 million.

On 9 November 2006, Benfica was acknowledged by Guinness World Records as having the largest number of paying club members (known as Sócios) in the world with 160,398 paid members.On 30 September 2009, Benfica announced that it had reached the 200,000 mark for paid club members.

The Golden Era

Benfica was the first team to break Real Madrid's dominance in the early European Champions' Cup. Having won two European Cups in a row against FC Barcelona (1961) and Real Madrid (1962).

During this decade, Benfica would reach another three European Champions' Cup finals, but the Lisbon club never managed to win a European trophy again. Having lost against AC Milan (1963), Internazionale (1965), and Manchester United (1968).

In 1968, Benfica was considered the best European team by France Football, despite its defeat in the Champions Cup. Many of its successes in the 1960s were achieved with all-time football great Eusébio playing for the Lisbon side. In fact, the 1960s were the best period of Benfica history, in which the club won an astonishing eight Championships (1960, '61, '63, '64, '65, '67, '68, and '69), three Portuguese Cups (1961, '64, and '69), and two European Champions Cup (1961 and '62).

eusebio.jpg

Symbols

The emblem is composed of an eagle, a shield in the club colours of red and white, and the acronym SLB for "Sport Lisboa e Benfica" over a football, all superimposed over a bicycle wheel, which was taken from the Grupo Sport Benfica emblem. The club motto is "E Pluribus Unum," Latin for "Out of many, one."

Before every home match, an actual eagle named Vitória flies from one side of the Estádio da Luz to the other.

Stadium

The Estádio da Luz, which translated means, "Stadium of Light," is a football stadium in Lisbon, Portugal, the home of Benfica. The term Luz refers, historically, to the parish of the Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Luz (Church of Our Lady of the Light).

The stadium hosted several matches in the 2004 European Football Championship, including the final match. The previous Benfica stadium (also called "Estádio da Luz" and one of the largest stadiums in the world with 120,000 seats) was demolished and the new one was built for the tournament with a capacity of 65,647.

dfhjkskjfhjkdgllljflh.jpg

Team Honours

National Titles

National League 1935/36, 1936/37, 1937/38, 1941/42, 1942/43, 1944/45, 1949/50, 1954/55, 1956/57, 1959/60, 1960/61, 1962/63, 1963/64, 1964/65, 1966/67, 1967/68, 1968/69, 1970/71, 1971/72, 1972/73, 1974/75, 1975/76, 1976/77, 1980/81, 1982/83, 1983/84, 1986/87, 1988/89, 1990/91, 1993/94, 2004/05, 2009/10

Portuguese Cup 1939/40, 1942/43, 1943/44, 1948/49, 1950/51, 1951/52, 1952/53, 1954/55, 1956/57, 1958/59, 1961/62, 1963/64, 1968/69, 1969/70, 1971/72, 1979/80, 1980/81, 1982/83, 1984/85, 1985/86, 1986/87, 1992/93, 1995/96, 2003/04

Portuguese League Cup 2008/09, 2009/10

International Titles

UEFA Champions League 1960–61; 1961–62

Latin Cup: 1949/50

Club Information

Nickname: The Eagles, The Reds, The Glorious One or simply SLB

Chairman: Luís Filipe Vieira

Legends: Eusébio

Club Icons: Mário Coluna, Humberto Coelho, Toni, António Simões, Chalana, Preud´Homme, Rui Costa

Major Rivals: FC Porto, Sporting CP

Minour Rivals: Belenenses

Media Prediction 3rd

Club Captain: Nuno Gomes

Training Facilities: Top Training Facilities

Youth Facilities: Average Youth Facilities + Youth Academy

Finances

Estimated Value: €136M (£119M)

Balance: €17M (£15M)

Transfer Budget: €7,5M that can go up to €9,5M (£6,5M - £8,5M)

Portuguese League Overview

There are 16 clubs in the Portuguese Liga, for a total of 30 games. The league is clearly dominated by the "big three" despite having a couple of other good teams, that are capable of getting in between them, Braga for ex.

It's important that you secure at least a Champions League place, has the money from prizes/tv is quite poor and the tickets revenue isn't much either. So has in real life if you like to bring established stars, without selling yours, you need the Uefa money.

If you like to discover, young gems, develop them and sell for €M i recommend that you load players from brazil, as there are no rule limitations for them. Also the youth system usually generates at least a promising player each year.

So, despite Sporting and Porto competition indoors your biggest challenge will be Europe, fighting agaist the "big sharks", with they're stars and money.

Squad

GK: Júlio César, Moreira, Quim

DR: Maxi Pereira, Luis Filipe

DL: César Peixoto, Jorge Ribeiro

DC: David Luiz, Luisão, Miguel Vítor, Sídnei

DMC: Javi Garcia, Rúben Amorim, Airton

MC: Carlos Martins, Ramires

ML: Fábio Coentrão, Angel Di Maria

MR: Balboa, Jonathan Urretaviscaya

AMC: Pablo Aimar, Filipe Menezes

ST: Éder Luis, Nuno Gomes, Javier Saviola, Oscar Cardozo, Mantorras, Weldon, Alan Kardec

Squad Analysis*

*assistant manager feedback

Goalkeeper Benfica has three average GK's so, it doesn't need immediate improvement. You can sell one of them to your criteria for some cash. Later on of course, you should buy a quality one.

Rightback Although you have two players for this position, it needs improvement as the best solution (Maxi Pereira) is an adaptation, and Luis Filipe isn't a decent cover.

Leftback Again the solutions here are just average but you can make it in the early times with what you have.

CentreBack Here you have quality players, with Luisão and David Luiz being the first choice. Has for Sidnei and Miguel vitor, the first has potential to become a very good DC, while Miguel can also turn out a decent player.

Defensive Midfield Javi Garcia takes the place in the first team, with Ruben Amorim and Airton being a decent backup.

Left Midfield Here you have one of the stars of the team in Di Maria, while Coentrão becomes as good as the argentinian.

Centre Midfield Ramires is clearly a quality player so you should find a place for him in the starting XI. Carlos Martins can have a role to play on the team, being a decent option.

Attacking Midfield Pablo Aimar doesn't need introductions, he is the star of the group, so if you can, you should build a tactic around him. As for Filipe Menezes he turns into a fairly decent player.

Strikers Here you have a lot of options. Starting with the club captain Nuno Gomes, despite the age he can be an option for the first season at least.

Cardozo and Saviola are the strongest candidates to the first team, Cardozo is a powerful striker with a killer shot, especially in free kicks. Saviola is a fast forward that can play on Cardozo's back getting him the ball to finish or, side by side with Weldon if you want to play with a faster attack.

Weldon is in my opinion a useful player as backup, possessing great pace.

Mantorras doesn't seem to have space in the team, so you can sell him for some money.

getattachment10g.jpg

Pablo Aimar

Are You Up To The Task of Bringing Back the 60's Glory to Benfica, That's Your Challenge

Good Luck, and above all have fun...

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possible Tactic Formation and Starting XI

sportlisboaebenficasad.jpg

PS: Ass Man Team Report

Achivements

Honours

First to win 6 trophies in one season:

First to win the Hexa(6 leagues in a row):

Team

Most goals scored in one game:

Most goals scored in one season:

Most points in one season:

Least matches needed to win the league:

Most players in the portuguese squad:

Most games without losing:

Highest team value:

Players

Most goals scored in one game:

Most goals scored in one season:

Most assists in one game:

Most assists in one season:

Most MotM awards in one season:

Transfers

Most spent in one player:

Most received for one player:

Most spent over one season:

Most received in one season:

PS: Screenshot needed.

After watching Benfica destroy Everton last week, I decided that I was impressed enough to give them a go on FM2010 demo and I have really enjoyed it so far. I amazed by Di Maria and intended to make him a focal point of my team - was shocked and worried when a bid was accepted of 3 million (or so) due to it being his minimum release fee clause and immediately made him the highest paid player in the team with a contract extension of five years.

This is my squad, I have changed little but the additions I made have been very effective.

squad.jpg

Since Benfica have a relatively small transfer budget I had a good look around before using any of it - I felt the team was rather weak in the RB position and attempted to sign a few players, eventually settled for Andrezinho and he has been in fine form so far. Jorge Andrade was a complete bargain on a free transfer and he was happy to sign for low wages - great first team player in this league.

I wasn't sure whether to bring in another striker or not, but decided that I would ship out Nuno Gomes as Cardozo was superior to him and tried to get Ronaldo from Corinthians, who accepted my 2 mil offer and Ronaldo himself accepted 25k a week to come play at Benfica.

teansfers.jpg

The formation I play is the flat 4-4-2, emphasis on wide play and a defensive minded midfielder (Javi Garcia) to mop things up at the back. Aimar controls the midfield and usually sprays balls out to the right and left to Di Maria and Ramires who have no problem getting a brilliant cross in or cutting inside to have a shot or thread a killer through-ball. I only have one of my fullbacks bombing forward as his stats dictate that's how he should play - Cesar Peixoto being that man.

formation-1.jpg

That's generally my starting 11, unfortunately Angel Di Maria broke his leg several matches ago but he was in deadly form until then - Fabio Coentrao is attempting to fill his shoes with Urretaviscaya coming in when he needs to.

I play with these instructions:

GK, Julio Cesar: Goalkeeper, Defend.

RB, Andrezinho: Wing Back, Automatic.

LB, Cesar Peixoto: Wing Back, Attack.

CB, Luisao: Central Defender, Stopper.

CB, Jorge Andrade: Central Defender, Cover.

RM, Ramires: Winger, Attack.

LM, Angel Di Maria: Winger, Attack.

CM, Javi Garcia: Central Midfielder, Defend.

CM, Pablo Aimar: Advanced Playmaker, Attack.

CF, Javier Saviola: Target Man, Attack.

CF, Oscar Cardozo: Deep Laying Forward, Support.

I have Pablo Aimar set as my primary play maker and Javier Saviola as my targetman with run onto ball settings. If Saviola comes off Ronaldo becomes primary target man with the 'to feet' setting.

My results so far have been brilliant, top of my Europa League group with only a 2-1 loss to Twente being my only blip there so far. I sit at the top of the Liga Sagres a point ahead of 2nd place Porto and two points ahead of third place Sporting. (flat linked these since I can only have four images in the post...)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Uramikir/results.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Uramikir/results2.jpg

So far Cardozo and Saviola have been absolutely prolific, Ronaldo bagging his fair share aswell. I'm getting great ratings from all of the players and tend to rotate my second CB a lot with Luisao being the main rock in the defense.

statistics.jpg

Will post updated results and stats after I finish the demo.

After watching Benfica destroy Everton last week, I decided that I was impressed enough to give them a go on FM2010 demo and I have really enjoyed it so far. I amazed by Di Maria and intended to make him a focal point of my team - was shocked and worried when a bid was accepted of 3 million (or so) due to it being his minimum release fee clause and immediately made him the highest paid player in the team with a contract extension of five years.

This is my squad, I have changed little but the additions I made have been very effective.

squad.jpg

Since Benfica have a relatively small transfer budget I had a good look around before using any of it - I felt the team was rather weak in the RB position and attempted to sign a few players, eventually settled for Andrezinho and he has been in fine form so far. Jorge Andrade was a complete bargain on a free transfer and he was happy to sign for low wages - great first team player in this league.

I wasn't sure whether to bring in another striker or not, but decided that I would ship out Nuno Gomes as Cardozo was superior to him and tried to get Ronaldo from Corinthians, who accepted my 2 mil offer and Ronaldo himself accepted 25k a week to come play at Benfica.

teansfers.jpg

The formation I play is the flat 4-4-2, emphasis on wide play and a defensive minded midfielder (Javi Garcia) to mop things up at the back. Aimar controls the midfield and usually sprays balls out to the right and left to Di Maria and Ramires who have no problem getting a brilliant cross in or cutting inside to have a shot or thread a killer through-ball. I only have one of my fullbacks bombing forward as his stats dictate that's how he should play - Cesar Peixoto being that man.

formation-1.jpg

That's generally my starting 11, unfortunately Angel Di Maria broke his leg several matches ago but he was in deadly form until then - Fabio Coentrao is attempting to fill his shoes with Urretaviscaya coming in when he needs to.

I play with these instructions:

GK, Julio Cesar: Goalkeeper, Defend.

RB, Andrezinho: Wing Back, Automatic.

LB, Cesar Peixoto: Wing Back, Attack.

CB, Luisao: Central Defender, Stopper.

CB, Jorge Andrade: Central Defender, Cover.

RM, Ramires: Winger, Attack.

LM, Angel Di Maria: Winger, Attack.

CM, Javi Garcia: Central Midfielder, Defend.

CM, Pablo Aimar: Advanced Playmaker, Attack.

CF, Javier Saviola: Target Man, Attack.

CF, Oscar Cardozo: Deep Laying Forward, Support.

I have Pablo Aimar set as my primary play maker and Javier Saviola as my targetman with run onto ball settings. If Saviola comes off Ronaldo becomes primary target man with the 'to feet' setting.

My results so far have been brilliant, top of my Europa League group with only a 2-1 loss to Twente being my only blip there so far. I sit at the top of the Liga Sagres a point ahead of 2nd place Porto and two points ahead of third place Sporting. (flat linked these since I can only have four images in the post...)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Uramikir/results.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Uramikir/results2.jpg

So far Cardozo and Saviola have been absolutely prolific, Ronaldo bagging his fair share aswell. I'm getting great ratings from all of the players and tend to rotate my second CB a lot with Luisao being the main rock in the defense.

statistics.jpg

Will post updated results and stats after I finish the demo.

What sort of playing style instructions do you use?

I have been leaving it default so far and using Control but sneaking by in games.

Just finished my first season.

At the start of the season with a quick look to the squad my priority was to buy RB and a RW, so i brought Ilsinho (€6.5M) and a young argentinian to develop, Salvio (€3.5M). Plus another youngster that my scouts discovered Verratti (€200m), wich i hope will do Aimar place in the future.

About the sales i only managed to sell Quim, Balboa and Jorge Ribeiro, leaving Luis Filipe, Mantorras and Weldon transfer listed.

After the friendlies a choose a 442 diamond formation which lead to a couple of draws in the league and defeats on the Europa League group.

So i decided to go normal 442.

slbenfica.jpg

Instructions:

On the back Ilsinho and Shaffer with support duty, Luisão limited defender and David Luiz ball playing defender.

Di maria playing as a winger with little defensive work, compensated on the other side with Ramires supporting the midfield. On the center Javi Garcia as ball winning midfielder and Aimar as box to box midfielder.

In the attack Saviola deep lying forward and Cardozo as advanced forward.

Season Highlights

League Cup: Beat Porto on the final 3-2 winning my first trophy.

Portuguese Cup: Lost in the first round away to Braga 2-0.

League: Won very easily 20 points ahead of Porto(2nd) with a total of 84p.

Europa League: Got to the final after two big wins, against Aston Villa(6-4) on the quarter finals and on the semi finals winning away 2-0 against Atl Madrid, losing my home game 1-0.

The final was to my surprise much easier, won 3-0 against Bordeaux.

About the players great season by Luisão, David Luiz, Di Maria and Aimar.

Special reference to Cardozo, by far my best player, top portuguese league(32g) and Europa League(18g) scorer. Total of 54 gols and 14 assists.

On the negative side my bank balance is -€1M, so i don´t think i will have much to spend next season, without selling someone.

Started with Benfica today. Brought in Milan Badelj, Andrej Kramaric, Joao Pereira, Jorge Andrade and Anthony Annan. Got rid of Mantorras, Weldon, Balboa and Jorge Ribeiro.

Only played a couple of friendlies so far but have started with 4-3-3 formation which i sometime adapt to a 4-3-2-1 depending on how the match is going. The attacking options are unreal and i cant wait to get struck into the league campain. Will get some screenshots up eventually to report how im getting on. This surely will prove to be a popular game anongst the fm community.

Just finished my 2nd season with Benfica.

Came 3rd in first season and 2nd in second season.

Should have won the league 2nd season, but somehow managed to throw away a 3-0 lead at home to Porto losing 3-4. Curses.

Seemed to be beat the easy teams without too much trouble but struggled in Europe.

Got smoked in the first season on the Europa League.

Got the the 2nd round in the second season losing on away goals to Palermo.

Haven't really bought too many players, inital squad is present decent to start with.

Good news:- Cardozo scored a crazy 78 goals in the 2nd season.

Bad news:- Finances are shocking. £15 mill in the red, hoping the Champions League will get some money.

Cordozo. Haven't got any specific instructions on him, just let him get on with it. He's my penalty taker, so probably about 10 goals from pens.

card78.jpg

Here is my current squad. Going to have to get a few new players in I think. First team squad is very good, back-up players are a bit poor.

squade.jpg

End of season 2.

Changes in the squad:

In january i brought Ochoa for €6.5M wich was without a doubt money well spent, great player.

Sold a few players among them Filipe Menezes, Quim, Yebda and Balboa wich allowed to cover the Ochoa acquisition.

Liga Sagres: Again champion without major competition.

League Cup: Won the final against Sporting 1-0.

Portuguese Cup: Won Paços Ferreira in the final 1-0.

Europa League: After finishing 3rd in the champions league group, i managed to reach the final again, this time losing against Barça 3-1.

Have to mention Cardozo again this season, he was even better than last year, scoring 63 goals in 49 games, wich made in golden boot winner.

Gonna put this save on hold for a while, so i can try other leagues, but i will surely resume it in the future, because there is still a lot to do...

Okay started a week ago (or something like that) with Benfica and I am now at the start of the 2nd season.

First season:

Transfer In: Van der Wiel(RB), Wijnaldum(AMCLR), Vicente(AML); Total: €9,25M

Transfer Out: Urretaviscaya, Ribeiro, Coentrao, Balboa, Montorras, Edcarlos; Total: €7M

Liga Sagres: Won very simple, 81 pts. Porto 2nd with 68pts

League Cup: Lost in the semi final against Nacional de Madeira (was too arrogant with my b-squad)

Portuguese Cup: Won with 3-2 against Vit. Guimaraes

Europa League: Won with 2-1 against Lyon!

Second season

I managed to keep: Cardozo, Vicente, Aimar, Di Maria, Ramires, Wijnaldum, Sidnei, Luisao, David Luiz as they were all wanted by the big european clubs.

Transfers In: Deco; Total: €1M

Transfers Out: Weldon, Pimenta, Patric, Sepsi, Balboa(loan), Yebda, Silva, Bastos, Yartey Total: €7,75M

Super Cup: Won with 3-0 to Vit. Guimaraes

Euro. Super Cup: Won with 1-0 against Barcelona!!!!

Start of the season was poor with a loss against Maritimo, but my squad had a great comeback away against Porto 1-3!! :) and a 2-0 victory against Gil Vicente.

My Champions League group is:

Sampdoria

Chelsea

Metalist

Benfica

So I hope i can make it to the Knock out stage. I'll keep you guys up to date! :)

Oh btw, which cup is more important: League Cup or Portuguese Cup?

I bought Vicente almost immediately, because he's more my kind of a winger. So that's why I sold him.

I'm also looking for a good GK, I'm thinking about Sergio Romero of AZ or Ochoa. Which one would you people pick?

And why isnt Cardozo with a big european club, dude is simply amazing!

Okay basically i didny buy anyone in the 1st season and only sold Quim for 2m and Balboa for 2m.

Won the league by 3 points, and was really unluky on all cup runs with going out mainly cause of injuries and away goals.

Now 2nd season gonna spend, 1st season was really unlucky had tons of injuries :O

2nd season:

Transfers in:

Pato 20.5m (was unhappy at acMilan)

Nelson Rivas Free from Inter

Transfers out:

Julio Cesar 1.5m

Luisao 9m

Aimar 7.25m

Yedba loan

Silva loan

Peixeito loan

Sepsi loan

1st team looks like this:

GK: Moreira

DCs: David Luiz, Miguel Vitor, Nelson Rivas, Sidnei

DR: Patric, Maxi

DL: Ribeiro, Shaffer

DM: Ruben, Javi, Felipe Bastos

MCs: Adu, Felipe Menes, Ramires,

ML: Coentrao, Di Maria

MR: Jonathan Urreta/Adu

FCs: Pato, Cardozo, Saviola, Keirrison, Nuno Gomes.

Won the Super Cup, and so far 3 league games, 2 wins, 1 draw

I started my Benfica save yesterday. Preseason was a bit shaky with all the rotations I was trying, but everyone got their performance and fitness up so that was the most important thing.

So far I've gotten through 2 competitive games (3-0 Maritimo in the league and 4-0 Wisla in the Europa League). Saviola had a hat-trick in both. :)

Basing my tactics off Jorge Jesus is working a treat in the game.

Just finished my 2nd season:

Won everything in portugal, and made it to the semis of euro cup, injuries and Moreira let me down.

Pato took about 6 games to score his 1st goal, but then scored a total of 40 and Cardozo 38, Keirrison who i can seem to sign got 20 and Saviola got injured for 8 months.

Looks like i need a bigger squad a bit stronger to win anything in europe, need a better GK, DR and some more players because of injuries

@ Pipson,

How are your finances? because i really cant afford to spent 20M on a player.

And why did you let Aimar leave? He's a key player for my team.

Nice job though with everything. In the Euro cup i got lucky with away goals against Roma, Fiorentina and Lille :)

just started a benfica league yesterday.

Has brought back the enjoyment i must say quite into even at this early stage.

revamped the coaching staff. bringing in R.Moniz as ass manager.

Also brought in prosinescki, tugay and gatting and leonard from arsenal for a bit of english company.

Sold

Ribierio, quim, mantorass, and let sidnei and contraeo go on loan for good experience on the continent.

Bought

Kameni £5.5m very steady, great shot stopper.

Ansaldi £3.2m from rubin kazam as my RB as this is a very weak area.

Andrade FREE very reliable and a good accuisition as i let sidnei go on loan so provides good cover at CB.

matuidi £6m rock in def midfiled area.

Starting Lineup (4-2-3-1)

Kameni

pexioto Luisao Andrade Ansaldi

Javi garcia Matuidi

De Maria Aimar Martins

Saviola

Good solid start to season playing some very attractive football.

Played 4 won 4 in liga sagres and qualified for europa league.

very satisfying start to life Benfica

@ Pipson,

How are your finances? because i really cant afford to spent 20M on a player.

And why did you let Aimar leave? He's a key player for my team.

Nice job though with everything. In the Euro cup i got lucky with away goals against Roma, Fiorentina and Lille :)

I didnt buy anyone in my 1st season, and only bought 2 players on the 2nd one, i also sold alot, not to mention that Patos deal was all 48months, always try to get your playrs on installments.

Aimar left cause of age, attributes were going down.

+ Ramires is much better imo. ML: Coentrao, MC: Ramires, MC: Javi MR: Adu/Urreta.

Sell Di Maria when you gt the chance for alot, and keep coentrao imo.

just started a benfica league yesterday.

Has brought back the enjoyment i must say quite into even at this early stage.

revamped the coaching staff. bringing in R.Moniz as ass manager.

Also brought in prosinescki, tugay and gatting and leonard from arsenal for a bit of english company.

Sold

Ribierio, quim, mantorass, and let sidnei and contraeo go on loan for good experience on the continent.

Bought

Kameni £5.5m very steady, great shot stopper.

Ansaldi £3.2m from rubin kazam as my RB as this is a very weak area.

Andrade FREE very reliable and a good accuisition as i let sidnei go on loan so provides good cover at CB.

matuidi £6m rock in def midfiled area.

Starting Lineup (4-2-3-1)

Kameni

pexioto Luisao Andrade Ansaldi

Javi garcia Matuidi

De Maria Aimar Martins

Saviola

Good solid start to season playing some very attractive football.

Played 4 won 4 in liga sagres and qualified for europa league.

very satisfying start to life Benfica

Just approaching the buisness end of the 1st season.

Must say i am really enjoying this league. Am currently still on for the quadrouple, 1st in the league by 7 points with 9 games to go, final of portugese league cup, semi final of the portuguese main cup, quarter finals of europa league.

got a really attractive tactic and style of play to my team, very narrow but creating some beautiful flowing football.

cardozo, saviola and keirrison all performing very well when asked as i often use a rotational role on my forwards.

finances are steady as managed to ship out a fair few of the top earners and stragglers.

will report further after end of 1st season.

Finished my 3rd season with Benfica and won champs :D and that's pretty much thanks to some players i bought.

playing 4-3-1-2 with fast tempo and direct passes. use it almost every game even against big teams, goals come from deadly crosses to both PLs and from AMC penetrating the defense with his speed and scoring lots of goals and from MC long shots. usually that formation is like a fake 4-3-3 since AMC usually shows up as a 3rd striker but also helps getting the ball from MC to PLs when playing throught middle.

Current team

GK: Ochoa, Moreira

DCs: David Luiz,Sidnei,Papadopoulos,Agbossoumonde

DR: Zuiverloon,Van Den Borre

DL: Shaffer, Ley (regen)

MCs: Javi, RUben Amorin

ML: Di Maria,Coentrão

MR: Maximiliano Moralez, Verratti

AMC: Ramires (scored 20+ goals, he's speed is awesome if you put him on AMC with up arrow), Felipe Menezes

FCs: Cardozo, Dzeko,Saviola, Caicedo (yep you read it right :p)

Cardozo scored 50+ goals and 20+ assists

Dzeko scored 40+ goals and 20+ assists

Ramirez scored 20+ goals and 30+ assists

Ochoa is like a wall

feedback about players that arent on my team anymore but that helped my team grow on the first two years:

Jorge Andrade (nice for 1st team choice in 1st season and good backup for 2nd season)

Antonino Barilla (regular player with nice stats and costed 1M, nice while coentrao doesnt improve)

Van der vart (10M on 1st season, my main AMC for 2 years and sold him for 10M cause he was getting old)

Giovanni dos Santos (bought for 5 M first year and loaned him and then sold for 15M after 1st season)

Miguel Victor performs well after being tutored by Jorge Andrade and can play on any spot on defense

Aimar is awesome tutor and playes well on right wing

Edcarlos is also nice backup but i rather sell it for some money

Keirrison is also nice but my tactics are based on strikers with lots of strentgh , jump and heading ability to score goals from crosses and outside the area.

3rd season i spent the money!

3rd.png

1st team looks like this:

GK: Ochoa, Moreira

DCs: David Luiz,Nelson Rivas, Sidnei, Miguel Vitor

DRs: Patrik, Gokhan

DLs: Shaffer, Ribeiro

DMs: Javi, Veleso, Rubem

MCs: Beckham, Ramires, Acosta, Menezes, Adu

AML: Coentrao, Urreta, Adu

AMR: Urreta, Adu, Coentrao

FCs: Pato, Cardozo, Saviola, Nelson Oliveirta

Might sell Cardozo next season and play only a 1 foward tactic, rite nwo i mix it between 442 and 4defenders, 1 DM, 1 MC, 1 MR, 1 AMC, 1AML, 1FC

I'm currently in February of my 1st season doing well in all the competitions, switching between a classic 442 and a 433, Cardozo is a killer in both. I'm also using a few youngsters in the easy games to see how they turn out. Nelson Oliveira and Roderick are making some nice exibhitions so far.

The transfers i made are for the next year only, so for the start of the next season i have Ochoa, Otamendi and Salvio coming. I'm not buying a RB as i'm gonna get Patric when is loan finishes, meanwhile i have Miguel Vitor as backup.

Gonna update at the of the season.

Right, Ive got 2 friendlies left to play and then I can start the actual season.

I made alot of signings in the transfer window. I basically wanted 2 players for each position, e.g. 2 GK\'s, 2 LB\'s, 4 CB\'s, 2 RB\'s, 2 DM\'s, 2 CM\'s, 2 AMC\'s, 2 AML\'s, 4 ST\'s.

Firstly, I shipped out a few players. Maxi Pereira, Ruben Amorim, Balboa, Moreira and Jorge Ribeiro went out for a combined £5.25m. I then also sold Nuno Gomes, Mantorras, Weldon and Felipe Menezes on loan for £500k.

Then My Transfers in:

Kabiru Akinsolacame in from Salamanca for £2.9m. A pacy young forward to bolster my youth options. Went out to Gil Vicente on loan.

Sambou Yatabarecame in from Caen for £2.5m. A good creative AMC who should be able to replace Aimar when he leaves in a year or two.

Ricardo Clarkcame in from Houston Dynamo for £500k. The 26 year old American international is my back-up DMC to Javi Garcia, and can also cover MC and RWB.

Pelecame in from Belenses for £2.3m. The young Portuguese DMC is one for the future according to my scouts. Has gone on loan to Gil Vicente.

Marc Muniesacame in from Barcelona for £150k. Hopefully a future starter, has gone on loan to Gil Vicente.

Daniel Oparecame in from Real Madrid for £275k. As above.

Pichu Atienzacame in from Atletico Madrid for £85k. As Above.

Carlos Lazarocame in from Valladolid for £230k. Went out on loan to Olhanense.

Jonathan Dos Santoscame in from Barcelona for £150k. Went out to Gil Vicente.

Cristian Ansaldicame in from Rubin Kazan for £8.5m. My big buy of the summer, who will be starting at RWB.

Frederic Nimianicame in on loan from Moncao for £1.2m, and I can purchase for £3.7m at any time. He wasnt my top choice. I had completed the signing of Alan Kardec from Vasco De Gama. But I didnt realise he wont join until July 2010, so I swooped for Nimiani. If thing\'s go well for Frederic, I\'ll keep him on at the end of the season to cover for the departing Keirrison.

Also future deals are Luis Guilherme from Botafogo, Donny Neyra from Total Chalaco and Alan Kardec.

Just finished my 1st season with benfica i finished 2nd with the same points as porto but they won on goal diffrence reallyy annoyed :@...i came out of the europe league in the quater final stages of the competition and i mangaged to win the portuguese cup. Anyways the real reason im posting is because i am annoyed at how much money i got as my transfer budget for my transmy 2nd season £489k. I havent sold any of my main players despite constant offers from abroad and i didnt spend to much on my 1st season as i only signed andrezinho from v.guimaraes for 1.2 mil and my transfer budget was 10 mil so it dosent make any sence. so wer has the other 9 mil go? and which player can i spend the 489k cause there aint much options around.

Just finished my first season.

League: Won the league without losing a game, 76 points. To my surprise Sporting and Porto were unable of providing competition finishing with 65 and 59 points.

League Cup and Portuguese Cup: Won both competitions defeating Sporting 2-1 for the LC and Guimaraes 1-0 for the PC.

Europa League: Another victory this time against Everton 3-2 with Cardozo getting an Hat-trick. Along the way defeated Porto on the semis:cool:.

Cardozo scored 59 gols in 45 games, including 35 in the league, winning the golden boot award. Aimar, Di Maria and Ramires got 15+ assists each one. Luisão scored 15 gols in all competitions, some of them decisive.

benfica4alex

I finished the season with a balance of -€700.000, with a total revenue of €61M and €62M of expenses. Wich could have been worse if not for the competitions prize money. In some months i lost €2M, wich is normal during 1st season. You have a lot of players on loan that you can sell to raise some money, or also some players that you don't use often. Sell them and bring youngsters to they're place.

If you can't raise money with 500k look for reagens in south america or eastern europe. My scouts have found some good youngsters there already.

Just finished my 1st season with benfica i finished 2nd with the same points as porto but they won on goal diffrence reallyy annoyed :@...i came out of the europe league in the quater final stages of the competition and i mangaged to win the portuguese cup. Anyways the real reason im posting is because i am annoyed at how much money i got as my transfer budget for my transmy 2nd season £489k. I havent sold any of my main players despite constant offers from abroad and i didnt spend to much on my 1st season as i only signed andrezinho from v.guimaraes for 1.2 mil and my transfer budget was 10 mil so it dosent make any sence. so wer has the other 9 mil go? and which player can i spend the 489k cause there aint much options around.

actually it does make sense, benfica finances are terrible, if you check monthly income + outcome it's always negative unless you win money from champs/europe league or tv rights or prizes for playing that league/cup

@ibra8

he came on january and was highly motivated and scored 8 goals in 8 games and most of them were started on bench but he disapointed me on the next pre-season so i sold him XD

and yeah cardozo+dzeko = easy mode but he costed 30 M... they scored a total of 100 goals XD

• 2 weeks later...

My updates that I've been putting on another forum:

Started a game as Benfica, attempting to topple the mighty Porto and Sporting and bring the Liga Sagres back to the Estadio da Luz.

Inherited quite a good squad and managed to put off interest in Aimar and Luisao by just insisting on big fees when anyone came knocking. Only got rid of one or two very poor squad players, and brought in Jorge Andrade (DC) and Stephen Appiah (DM MC) on freebies. Resisted the urge to take anyone on loan - think I should be able to manage with what I have, and could do with saving some money I reckon.

Appiah's been a beast so far, and Keirrison scored 5 in his first 3 games before breaking his arm, the daft ****. He's been missed as we've drawn a few games (including some Europa League ties, missing quite a few chances) although he's just about back from injury now. Think I might blow a wedge on buying him, if I can, because he seems to be the business. Still, with Cardozo, Saviola and Nuno Gomes as back up, it's not a bad position to be in if I can't nab him from Barca permanently. Aimar, however, has been disappointing, and Di Maria often seems like a better option, particularly if I put him out on the wing offering a bit of width, rather than the narrow 4-1-2-1-2 we usually play.

Come on the mighty Reds.

Benfica top of the league after almost half a season, still undefeated which is nice. Got the biggie coming up against Porto, though (having already beaten Sporting Lisbon 2-0). They've lost a few games, but it's my draws that are holding me back, and I'm only just ahead of them on points.

Have qualified from my group stage of the UEFA Cup (Europa League my arse) with a game to spare - Timisoara and Sparta Prague providing 3 wins out of my 4 games with them, as well as a draw against Villa. Last game is away in Birmingham, but will throw out a weakened side for that one I reckon with nothing to really play for, and keep my eyes on Porto before the Xmas break.

Lost my first game in charge of Benfica in the Portuguese Cup semi-final away to Braga. Rather annoying, but still, nobody really cares about the Cup, and I got them back in the semi of the League Cup anyway.

Shortly coming up to my UEFA game against Lazio - thinking that won't be all that easy, and I'm at home first, which I'd rather not be.

Well, I went 3-0 up within 11 minutes.

Then lost 4-3.

Then lost the away game 3-2.

:(

In other news I got the Ivory Coast manager's job. Woohoo.

Managed to win the league with Benfica - drew my penultimate game away to Porto 1-1 which meant I only needed a draw on the last day of the season at home to 14th placed whoeveritwas. Won that 4-0, completed the league season unbeaten and also nicked the League Cup from Sporting for a sort of double. CL football next year, but given my experience at the hands of Lazio in the first knockout round of the Europa League I think that could very much depend on my draw as to whether or not I go through. Either way, the cash will come in very handy.

Keirrison finished top scorer in the league, and Oscar Cardozo finished with the most assists. Despite throwing lots of money at Barca they're not willing to let me have the little genius permanently, so he'll be a big loss for next year (and I doubt they'd be willing to let him go on loan again, but I'll certainly be keeping my eyes peeled - would happily pay a couple of mil to have him for another year). Saviola will definitely have to step up, or one of my reserves will have to prove themselves.

The team's been losing about £2m a month, so I'm going to have to **** the wage bill in the summer and sell as many of the reserves as possible. At the start of the game there's something daft like 24 players out on loan, so will be culling a huge number of these if they're not up to scratch, not renewing contracts of those who are due, and trying to flog as many of the rest as possible. They're not on huge wages, but it'll all help. Hopefully I get some decent prize money from the league win/TV deal/CL deal that'll help boost the balance. I've not paid a penny for anyone yet (apart from signing on fees for two freebies). I can think of a few players who'll need new contracts this summer, too (minimum fee clauses going in all of them!), which is not good news for the bank manager.

A busy summer ahead, not least because I've got to take Ivory Coast to the World Cup. We've got a tricky enough group (includes the Dutch), but hopefully we can progress.

The Ivory Coast managed 2nd place in their World Cup Group, winning their first game in emphatic style 3-0 over Costa Rica (all three in the first half). The return of a suspended Yaya Toure couldn't prevent a 1-0 defeat to the Netherlands in the second game, despite creating a fair few chances and playing pretty well. Happy with the performance after going 1-0 down very early on in the game. This meant we needed at least a draw against Serbia in the final game to progress (they only beat Costa Rica 1-0). An early goal had me cruising to the hour mark, so I removed Drogba, Toure and Kalou in order to rest them for the knockout stages, only for Serbia to equalise with 20 minutes left. Squeaky bum time was avoided with a quick reply, and an 88th minute screamer from Arouna Koné settled matters.

In the second round? Mexico, to whom I lost 3-2 in a friendly in my first game in charge, and who beat Brazil 2-0 in the group stages. Think this'll be a toughie.

Still no signings for Benfica (it's hard to concentrate on club matters when I'm at the World Cup), although I've offloaded a young reserve winger for around £2m + a hefty sell-on clause.

Ivory Coast don't like doing things the easy way. Having qualified 2nd in the group, we managed a 3-0 win against a lacklustre Mexico, who were fortunately reduced to 10 men after half an hour for a horrible tackle on the halfway line. The game was sewn up with more than 30 mins to go, meaning players could be rested for the quarter finals.

We drew Germany, and were predicted to do badly. Things didn't start well, with the Germans taking an 8th minute lead. Visions of the Holland game flashed before me, but some ballsy attacking tactics got a Didier Drogba header back before halftime to level it at 1-1. We were then reduced to 10 men in the second half, and an epic, backs to the wall effort saw us reach full time at 1-1. Koné produced a moment of magic with 10 minutes to go in injury time, and I thought that was that. Kolo Toure had other plans. He decides to hack down a German striker on the edge of the box for a straight red, and my other centre half gets his 2nd yellow of the game for arguing with the ref, seeing us reduced to 8. Germany scored from a quick free-kick with the defence in disarray, and added a 3rd soon after. A minute to go and a long hoof from the keeper was completely missed by all and sundry at the back, allowing Koné to stroll through and equalise from an incredibly narrow angle in the 119th minute for a 3-3 draw. We won 8-7 on penalties, with every playing scoring for us.

Semi-finals, and France. No fairytale here, however. With 3 of my best players suspended and the rest of them knackered it was a lesson in anti-football from the Ivorians. We held the French until the 122nd minute when a move down the right and a great cross outdid the lions in orange for Gignac to net from close range. There was no time for a comeback, we were sunk. Gutted. A defeat on penalties against Italy in the 3rd/4th place playoff followed (another 0-0), but I seem to have stumbled upon a good system for putting in performances against the big boys - we've not been overawed in our games against Mexico (twice), Holland, Germany, France or Italy. This bodes well for the upcoming ACN, for which I've got plenty of time to prepare and hone my squad (most of whom are rubbish).

Back to Benfica, and it's a busy summer now the world cup's over. I'm doing my best to get rid of as many players from the reserves as possible, although one or two stand a chance of promotion to the main squad. The board accepted bids on Yebda without even asking me (only £3.5m he went for in the end - twats), which is a shame as I could've seen him slotting in nicely. Still, onwards and upwards. Dozy ****er that I am, I hadn't noticed that Keirrison was on a 2 year loan from Barca instead of one, so I've got him for another season! Hurrah! Now it's just a case of signing up my players onto new contracts (with hefty release clauses) to stop the sharking ****ers from the likes of United and Madrid from stealing my players. We'll see what we can do. Only transfer activity so far is to bring in two players on trial, who I may sign on frees. Not exactly youthful, but Portuguese, which'll help the squad requirements .

Valenciennes nicked my striker who was in on trial without me having any idea they were even offering him a contract. A shame, as I was looking at him being the replacement for Nuno Gomes after he'd performed reasonably well in pre-season. Gomes is 34 now and his contract runs out at the end of the year. With him and Keirrison on the way I could've done with bolstering my striking options

I've offloaded a couple of loan players to get a few quid in fees (not much, perhaps £1.5m in total, but it all helps), Quim has gone to Inter for £650k and one or two other minor players have gone for very small fees, which was as much about reducing the wage bill as gaining any money from sales. I've got plenty of money in the bank to spend (around £100k leeway in the wage budget, which is a huge amount at Benfica as most players are on less than £20k a week, and around £8m to spend) but the club made a loss of £6.5m last year, so I'm reluctant to fling lots of cash around even though it's there. I've still not paid money for a single player, and the 2010/11 season is now upon us.

There's a couple of young reserves who definitely look like making the step up next season, but they'll have to seeing as Aimar's not getting any younger, and Jorge Andrade and Nuno Gomes will both be seeing out the last year of their contract with us this season.

Pre-season's not been the best for me, as I've not won any of my 4 games (3 draws and a 3-0 home defeat by Udinese in my last game). Not sure what's up with the players, or whether a slight tweak of the system is required or what. A bit disconcerting heading in to the Super Cup against Braga next week, but hopefully it's just down to playing severely unfit players and not having a settled side, trying to make sure everyone's match fit before the season starts.

In amongst all this I was offered a year's extension on my contract with Benfica, which I took.

Lastly, I managed to **** off the Mancs who were sniffing around Oscar Cardozo. Result.

Defensive issues seem to have vanished somewhat at the start of Benfica's second season under my stewardship - we won the Super Cup 3-2, and only conceded from a penalty and a fluke own goal (cleared off the line onto another defender which rebounded in). I was happy enough with that, and have gone on to win the opening games 4-0 at home and 1-0 away without too much trouble.

The squad is larger this year, and so I'm already struggling for a bit of match-fitness from a few of the reserves who've been promoted. Not to worry, I'll just keep playing reserve football with them until they're up to scratch. Hopefully the few extra bodies will mean I can compete across all fronts this year - I've not checked the board's expectations, but I'd like to repeat the Liga Sagres Championship and qualify from the CL group if possible. It all depends on the draw, which is to come next week.

A couple more ressies have been binned off or loaned out - with an increase in season ticket sales from last season (up by about 2.5k or so, but still, an increase is an increase) and my parsimonious relationship with the chairman's money (still not paid for a single player) hopefully we'll get to a point where the club are self-financing and not losing the best part of £2m a month all the time. The CL money will definitely be a bonus, especially if I can win a few games and get some prize money for that, too.

Onwards and upwards for Glorioso SLB.

Real Madrid, Man City and Omonia Nicosia in the Champions League Group.

Bugger.

Ivory Coast, meanwhile, have an ACN qualifying group of Burundi, Swaziland and Sudan.

Tidy.

Madrid at home - go 1-0 up early on, they level by half-time, and nick a winner in the 75th minute. Bugger.

Omonia away - twatted them 3-0.

Man City at home - go 1-0 up early on, they nick an equaliser later on. Bugger.

Man City away - go 1-0 down, pull 1 back before the break. Score two second half goals, only to conceded two late goals to draw. Bugger.

Elsewhere City managed a draw with Madrid, which means that I have to do the same now (at the Bernebeu) to ensure that I go through (as my 3 away goals at City will see me with a better head to head), or hope beyond hope that Omonia nick a point off City (which given their first game ended 7-0 and they're bottom with 0 points, I can't really see happening).

Bugger.

44 games into my little experiment with Benfica and I've finally lost in the league. And what makes it 100 times worse is that it was at home to Porto, 3-2. I was moderately happy with a draw having gone 2-0 down early on, but a late freekick sealed my fate. Still, I'm progressing nicely in all the domestic cups, and still top of the league by 2 points now (end of January), so I can't really complain.

As for the Champions League, with two games left I found myself behind Man City in 3rd place thanks to those pesky draws. They predictably snotted Omonia, and so I needed something out of my game at the Bernebeu. I went for shock and awe, and set up initially my normal attacking team and went for 'overload tactics' straight out of the gate. Oscar Cardozo notched a lovely header 7 minutes in, and from there it was a pure retreat for the boys in red. We made it to halftime unscathed, but Madrid scored early in the 2nd half to give me that sinking feeling. A valiant rearguard action, however, kept them at bay, and kept me in the CL.

Last game up, and we were at home to Omonia and fully expected to win with Man City 3 points to the better of me and at home to the already qualified as Group Winners Real Madrid. We laboured to a 1-0 lead over Omonia and frmo then on I spent more time checking the score from City as I did watching our game. Madrid took a 25th minute lead, only for it to be cancelled out on the brink of half-time. My heart sunk. Ronaldo slotted in for the whites in the 74th minute, and I metaphorically leapt for joy, only for that ugly c*nt Tevez to score 3 minutes later to restore parity. We beat Omonia, but all looked helpless as the clock wound down, with no further goals. I was sunk. I gave the lads a positive teamtalk for another home win and went to see the damage.

Clicking through to the results screen, and it read 2-3 in favour of Madrid. I rubbed my eyes. Kaka had notched a 94th minute winner, that saw me qualify at the expense of City. Gerrin.

Oh, and I've finally (finally) brought the moths out of the wallet and made a signing. Neto, an 18 year old Brazilian central midfielder from Vasco de Gama whose stats already look better than most of my midfielders, for a princely sum of £3.9m (a lot of which is over a period of months). He played 45 games for them at an average of 7.45 last year. Very excited for the lad, who scored a goal on his debut (coming off the bench), but who needs to get up to match pace having not played for a few months as it's the end of the Brazilian season. Still, in his three games so far (2 sub appearances) he's managed 7.5, 7.0 and 7.1 so it looks like a good start to me.

Oh, and we drew Chelsea in the CL round of 16, home first, and Ivory Coast have comfortably won both their qualifiers to nil, as well as a 3-2 win over Japan in a friendly with a fairly experimental side (no Drogba, Kalou, Keita, Yaya Toure or Kolo Toure).

I've also been mentioned in dispatches as favourite for both the Fiorentina and the Roma jobs, both of whom sacked their managers after poor starts to the season found them in the bottom half. I'm happy at Benfica for the while, though, although a trip to Italy or Spain might be next on the cards for me, because I could do with being fluent in a fourth language (currently speak English, Portuguese and French perfectly). Another string to the bow, and all that.

Archived