It's not Terry's, it's mine - An international adventure

Elrithral

I sat at my desk, three empty pages sitting in front of me, the England crest and FA address atop each. I had three letters to write, short letters, to the point letters, I picked up my pen and began.

Dear Press

I’m sure you have heard many a rumour about me and my particular managerial style. It’s a natural assumption that a majority of these rumours will be negative rumours, rumours regarding my ego and my disciplinarian regime; let me assure you that most of said rumours are true.

I have been appointed manager of England for a reason and the reason is not to fill column space, I do not intend to read anything that is written about me or my team and I do not intend to give you sound bites that will help you climb your sleazy little ladders. As such, all future England press conferences and press days are cancelled, a press release will be made before each game and this should provide adequate information to keep the general public abreast of all relevant situations.

Regards

Alfredo Dick

England Manager

Dear Premiership Footballer

I’m sure you have all read various, contradictory articles in newspapers; please ignore these as much as possible. As England manager I will operate one rule and one rule only that will affect player’s position in the squad. Selection for all future England squads will be based solely on ability and club performance. I hope this clarifies the current situation.

Regards

Alfredo Dick

England Manager

Dear Mr Terry

You will no longer be considered for selection in the England national team; as such your captaincy has been revoked.

Regards

Alfredo Dick

England Manager

I sat back in my chair and cracked my knuckles.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England - Czech Republic

Friendly

Goalkeepers:

Robert Green, David James, Paul Robinson.

Defenders:

Leighton Baines, Ashley Cole, Curtis Davies, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, Matthew Upson, Luke Young.

Midfielders:

Gareth Barry, David Beckham, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Steve Sidwell, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Ashley Young.

Forwards:

Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

A friendly against decent opposition was a healthy challenge for my first game in charge and the press weren’t sure about the squad I had named, they claimed it was inexperienced, with four players available to make their England debut. Perhaps they hadn’t believed me when I said that I was only going to select players in form, the players who deserved to get picked, not the household names and world famous faces everyone was used to. Unfortunately my hand had been forced by the lack of matches in the build up to the friendly and I did have to rely on personal opinion for a number of players. However, there was no doubting the major talking point, no John Terry and Gerard named as captain.

The opening goal of the game and my career as England manager came from the spot, in the ninth minute. James Milner’s ball into the area was controlled by Carrick, who was receiving close attention from Jarosik, unfortunately for the Czech’s the attention being paid was a little too forceful and Carrick went to ground after a hefty shove from the big midfielder. The ref pointed to the spot immediately, but it was some time before the penalty was actually taken as I had forgotten to give penalty instructions and the players had to decide amongst themselves who would have the privilege of scoring the first goal in England’s, soon to be, most successful spell in football. Ashley Cole eventually stepped up and slotted it home, his first goal for his country.

The second came from an Ashley Young corner, floated into a packed six yard box, Cech had no chance of getting to it, and big burly centre half Curtis Davies thought he had grabbed a goal on his debut, but Cech, despite not being able to come for the ball, was able to palm it away when the header came in. Rooney was there, in the six yard box, like a proper poacher, exactly as I wanted him to play, to knock in the rebound and give us a comfortable lead going into half time.

The Czechs came storming out of the blocks in the second half, obviously on the end of a brutal half time team talk and eager to make up for an abject performance in the first half. The defence held firm, despite the changes and managed to keep the Czech attack at bay. However, there was nothing the defence or anyone else could do in the 60th minute when Radek Sirl fired a beautiful free kick from 30 yards out, into the top left corner of the net. Green was rooted to the spot, but he wasn’t at fault, the only person anyone could criticise was Beckahm for giving away the free kick in the first place.

It wasn’t long before we had regained our two goal lead and it was down to some beautiful midfield play and one touch football. Wright-Philips picked up the ball just outside our area after a defensive header from a Czech corner; he carried it forward towards half way before laying it off for Sidwell. Sidwell swept the ball out left to Joe Cole who played it back to Ashley Cole, the left back passing inside to Lescott who in turn played it forward to the centre circle for Carrick to run onto. Carrick’s ball forward to Rooney was controlled and slipped out wide to Wright-Philips, who now found himself in an advanced right position. His first time ball into the area was met by the head of Rooney, who had continued his forward run into the box, and nodded down into the bottom corner. In the space of eight passes and 20 seconds since a Czech corner we had found the back of the net and completed our victory.

Final Score

England 3 – 1 Czech Republic

September 2008

Goalkeepers:

David James, Chris Kirkland, Paul Robinson.

Defenders:

Ashley Cole, Curtis Davies, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, Phil Neville, Micah Richards, Jonathan Woodgate, Luke Young.

Midfielders:

David Beckham, Lee Cattermole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Leon Osman, Steve Sidwell, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Ashley Young.

Forwards:

Gabriel Agbonlahor, Peter Crouch, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Theo Walcott.

Andorra - England

World Cup Quals (EUR) Grp 6

Only a short space of time since our friendly win, but a week can change everything in football and the few weeks in between fixtures had given me a chance to watch the players properly and gauge form. It was with form in mind that the squad looked so different to the previous one, with a number of high profile casualties and three low profile possible debutants. Cattermole, Osman and Agbonlahor all had youth on their side and all three of them had made an excellent start to the Premiership season. Cattermole was the only one to make his debut, starting in central midfield against Andorra and coming on at half time against Croatia, playing exceptionally well on both occasions and justifying his selection.

The match against Andorra was one that we were expected to win comfortably, preferably with a hefty score line. The win was comfortable, but the score line, less than convincing. It took us 21 minutes to break down their defence and take the lead. Gerard dispossessing Gutierrez in the centre circle before playing a beautiful ball out to Milner on the right win. Milner showed great pace, creativity and control to take the ball forward, before playing in a centre for Crouch in the middle. Crouch’s control was perfect and his finish delicate.

The second goal came from Milner, getting his toes to a cross from Shaun Wright-Philips and diverting it past the keeper for his first international goal in only his second appearance. 2-0 ahead and I decided to give Beckham another run out in the centre of midfield, hoping his dead ball ability would give us something to work on against an opposition who were noticeably smaller. That’s exactly how our third came about, Beckahm’s corner converted by Woodgate. Unfortunately the scoring stopped there and whether we won or not, the lack of goals would be the focus of attention.

Final Score

Andorra 0 – 3 England

Croatia - England

I may not read the papers and I may not want to know what other people think about performances and/or possible performances, but only a fool wouldn’t be aware of the bad feeling between teams going into this match. Only a fool would be stupid enough to think that this game was anything other than must win.

One shock in the starting line up was the inclusion of Beckham in central midfield, moving Gerard into the defensive midfielder role. I had hoped that, yet again, Beckham may be able to cause problems for the Croatian defence with his corners and free kicks, but no, it didn’t work that way and he was replaced at half time by Cattermole, which gave the midfield a little more girt and freed Gerard to play further forward and support the lone striker.

The first incident of note came in the first minute and it didn’t bode well. Petric latching on to a through ball and smashing a left foot drive at goal, beating Paul Robinson, but slamming against the crossbar and out. We looked nervous, Croatia had us worried and their early effort had made the defence jittery. We got to half time 0-0 and pleased with 0-0, a draw was good based on the first half display.

The introduction of Cattermole changed the game, my selection process vindicated again. His athleticism in the centre of the park, gave Lampard and Gerard the chance to roam and get forward as often as possible. The added threat of Gerard made the difference. It was his ball that put Knezevic under pressure in the Croatian box and his ball that Wright-Philips picked up before being hauled down by Knezevic. The ref pointed to the spot and Lampard slotted home the only goal of the game.

Final Score

Croatia 0 – 1 England

October 2008

Goalkeepers

David James, Paul Robinson, Ross Turnbull.

Defenders

Wes Brown, Ashley Cole, Curtis Davies, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, Phil Neville, Micah Richards, Jonathan Woodgate, Luke Young.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Beckham, Joe Cole, Danny Guthrie, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Steve Sidwell, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney.

England - Kazakhstan

Round two of the group matches and two games that everyone expected us to win. The squad didn’t really raise many surprises and only two players were in line to make their international debut, only one with a realistic chance of getting a game. Danny Guthrie had impressed in the opening two months of the season, with his new club Newcastle. He had fire in his belly and gave everything he could in every match he played, he was a definite starter against Kazakhstan. Ross Turnbull, plying his trade at Middlesbrough, was a solid, young keeper, but James and Robinson were better and their form was superior, so it looked like he was going to have to make do with a call up.

Guthrie’s teammate, Michael Owen, had been in blistering form for his club and many eyebrows were raised when I picked him to start as the lone striker, rather than Wayne Rooney. Within one minute my decision was vindicated, as he picked up Lampards pass, turned and fired past the keeper. Seven minutes later he was on the end of a Guthrie cross to double his tally and our lead, he completed his 10 minute hat trick in emphatic style, dribbling past three defenders before slotting home.

3-0 down and Kazakhstan could be forgiven for letting their heads drop and accepting defeat, but they persevered and their consolation was fully deserved. Tiekhugov on the left, cut back when faced with Young and pulled the ball back to Kusainov. Kusainov set it up on a plate for Kaliev to side foot a 20 yard shot into the bottom corner and give their fans something to shout about.

Goal number four came from Curtis Davies, a header from Milner’s corner. Goal number five was one for the debut boy, Guthrie getting a goal on his international debut. Lampard’s pass in to Rooney on the edge of the area, the burly striker did well to hold off two defenders and hold up the ball before laying it back to Guthrie, in the D, to fire a shot into the top corner.

Final Score

England 5 - 1 Kazakhstan

Belarus - England

Game number four, doesn’t time fly when you’re having fun? Amazingly we are almost half way through the group qualifying stages, with only six games to go after this, a 100% record going into the friendly with Germany would be very nice indeed.

Offering sterner opposition than Kazakhstan, I decided to field a full strength team against Belarus. Guthrie dropping to the bench Gareth Barry coming into the defensive midfielder role and Rooney replacing the now injured Michael Owen.

James Milner got the opening goal, he’s making himself a firm favourite with the crowd and if his club form continues, he’ll be one of the first names on the team sheet for the foreseeable future. Having received the ball from Cole, he tricked his way past two defenders before slotting the ball between the near post and the goalkeeper. Goal number two was just as skilful, a delight to watch from Shaun Wright Philips. He went one better than Milner, going past four players, the end result the same as he fired across the goal and into the bottom corner.

Four games played, four games won, eleven goals scored and one conceded. South Africa here we come.

Final Score

Belarus 0 - 2 England

November 2008

Goalkeepers

Paul Robinson, Ross Turnbull.

Defenders

Wayne Bridge, Wes Brown, Ashley Cole, Curtis Davies, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Phil Neville, Jonathan Woodgate, Luke Young.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Danny Guthrie, Tom Huddlestone, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Peter Crouch, Emile Heskey, Andy Johnson, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney.

Germany - England

Friendly

The old enemy, England’s biggest rival. The war, Italia 90, Euro 96, the 5-1 in Munich, the history between the two sides was rich and, at times, nasty. This wasn’t a friendly; this was bragging rights, just like the 5-1, nothing to do with football, everything to do with one-upmanship, getting one over your rivals.

For a team that had enjoyed reasonable success in recent years, Germany struggled to cope with us. The difference in quality was apparent; a majority of their players plied their trade in the Bundesliga, a decent league, but nowhere near the quality of the English Premiership. They were there for the taking, but chance after chance was spurned and we went in at half time tied 0-0.

The second half came and more of the same. Lescott had replaced Ferdinand in the centre of defence, Rooney in to replace Milner on the right, but we still couldn’t break them down, until the 71st minute. Metzner fouling Rooney on the right of the box, Young with the freekick into the six yard box and Jagielka battling his way through the packed area to nod a header down and into the net. 1-0 with 19 minutes to go.

90 minutes came and we were on course for the win, an injury to Lampard had meant that Guthrie was given another chance in the centre of midfield. 90 minutes and hopefully home and dry. Then he struck, Boll with an unlikely equalizer after Robinson misjudges the cross from Kunert. It’s a sucker punch, we were in command, but the player’s heads dropped and 3 minutes later with the crowd whistling for the end, they struck again. Schadich receives the ball from Fischer and turns in the centre circle before sliding a beautifully weighted ball into the path of Schafer. The tiny striker took Lescott on and beat him fro pace, firing a low shot across the goal and into the bottom corner.

A loss to our rivals in a game we should have won. I’m sure my selection policy will be questioned, would Terry have dealt with that run better than Lescott? I don’t care, the performance outweighs the defeat and loss or not, I’m pleased with how things are going.

Final Score

Germany 2 - 1 England

*Fankoo kindly Mr SCIAG, xxx*

February 2009

Goalkeepers

Scott Carson, Robert Green, Paul Robinson.

Defenders

Wayne Bridge, Ashley Cole, Curtis Davies, Rio Ferdinand, Justin Hoyte, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Jonathan Woodgate, Luke Young.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Bentley, Jimmy Bullard, Michael Carrick, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Leon Osman, Scott Parker, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Peter Crouch, Andy Johnson, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney.

Spain - England

Friendly

A friendly against the reigning European Champions would provide our biggest challenge yet. Their team was filled with world class stars, their squad filled with household names and here we were, about to give Jimmy Bullard his debut. Not the kind of match you want after an embarrassing defeat to your biggest rivals, you want to get back on the horse, but no such luck.

Spain’s opener came from Valencia striker David Villa, who turned 30 yards out and, with Jagielka bearing down, decided to strike an optimistic long ranger that found the top right corner and gave Paul Robinson no chance. Repeat and proceed for goal number two, Villa receiving a throw in before playing it into the centre for Senna to strike first time, top corner, Robinson no chance, England sinking without trace. It was 3-0 and looked like game over, in the 45th minute when Villa got goal number two. He picked up a loose ball, from an offside position, after a defensive error and slid it into the bottom corner.

Then came the half time substitutions, Rooney for Lampard, Bentley for Milner and the might Bullard for Gerard. It worked. On 75 Bentley took on Capdevilla and got to the byline before chipping a delightful ball to the far post for Young to tap in, under pressure from Fabregas. Eight minutes later Rooney found Young on the left, who dribbled into the area before playing it toward the penalty spot where Crouch, who had replaced Owen on 72, stuck out a leg and poked it home. The comeback was completed with three minutes to go, Cole finding Rooney in the middle, whose long drive eclipsed both Vila’s and Senna’s as it found the top left corner.

A surprising second half performance, with no Lampard and Gerard! I had some thinking to do before the qualifiers started again. Perhaps dropping Terry wasn’t enough to give this team enough edge. The knives might have to come out.

Final Score

Spain 3 - 3 England

April 2009

Goalkeepers

Robert Green, Mike Pollitt, Paul Robinson.

Defenders

Wayne Bridge, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, Joleon Lescott, Matthew Upson, Jonathan Woodgate, Luke Young.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, Jimmy Bullard, Steven Gerrard, Danny Guthrie, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Gabriel Agbonlahor, Peter Crouch, Andy Johnson, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney.

England - Ukraine

So far the debuts I had given had roused interest, but not been headline grabbers, Jimmy Bullard probably the most interesting, but things were about to change. Avoid the newspapers and ignore the news, but when you select a 37 year old keeper who has played for almost 20 different clubs during his career, most of which plied their trade in the lower divisions, you’re going to struggle to avoid the media circus.

Mike Pollitt had been in excellent form for high flying Wigan, his performances had been far superior to those of Robinson and Green, so he deserved his cap, there was no doubting that. It was the timing that was being questioned. His first cap, in such an important position, in a make or break game against one of our main rivals?

Lucky for me, Ukraine were off song and we were on our game. As we took them to task, Pollitt enjoyed an anonymous debut, rarely tested and comfortable. Owen gave us the lead after only five minutes. Lampard picking up Young’s ball and passing to Owen 30 yards out. The tiny striker controlled, turned and drove at the defence, getting past Ischenko and drilling the ball into the bottom corner.

The second came after good work from Gareth Barry who worked his socks off to reclaim the ball after a Gerard corner had been headed out. His ball behind the defence was inch perfect for Ashley Young, who continued his fantastic international form as he blasted the ball, left footed, high past the keeper and into the net.

Pollitt’s debut had takent he shine off fellow debutant, Agbonlahor’s, work on the right and it was pressure from Gabby that forced Mykhalyk into an error, as he sliced a clearance into his own net to make it 3-0.

Final Score

England 3 - 0 Ukraine

With 5 games gone and 5 to go, we were in the driving seat.

| Pos   | Inf   | Team       |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | England    |       | 5     | 5     | 0     | 0     | 14    | 1     | +13   | 15    | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Croatia    |       | 5     | 4     | 0     | 1     | 12    | 2     | +10   | 12    | 
| 3rd   |       | Ukraine    |       | 4     | 2     | 0     | 2     | 7     | 6     | +1    | 6     | 
| 4th   |       | Belarus    |       | 4     | 1     | 1     | 2     | 5     | 7     | -2    | 4     | 
| 5th   |       | Andorra    |       | 5     | 0     | 2     | 3     | 3     | 13    | -10   | 2     | 
| 6th   |       | Kazakhstan |       | 5     | 0     | 1     | 4     | 3     | 15    | -12   | 1     | 

June 2009

Goalkeepers

Scott Carson, Robert Green, David James.

Defenders

Ashley Cole, Curtis Davies, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, Paul Robinson, Matthew Upson, Jonathan Woodgate, Luke Young.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, Jimmy Bullard, Michael Carrick, Stewart Downing, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Gabriel Agbonlahor, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Ishmael Miller, Wayne Rooney.

Kazakhstan - England

Time for Scott Carson to get his chance between the sticks. I’m sure plenty has been said about the regularity with which I change keepers, but it’s all down to who I think is performing best at that point in time and Carson is performing miracles at West Brom. Another Player doing his bit for the West Brom, Uefa Cup push is Ishmael Miller, the young forward getting his fair share of goals and fully deserving of his first call up, though he wouldn’t start against Kazakhstan.

Lampard got our opening goal, drilling a shot from just inside the are, between the keeper and near post after good work and a pull back from Cole on the left wing. The second came from the penalty spot, Zarechnov fouling Rooney and Lampard converting the spot kick.

He had a hand in our third goal as well, his slide rule pass into the penalty area, poked home by Young who then turned provider for goal number four, his corner headed home by Ferdinand in the dyeing minutes. Kazakhstan’s misery was compounded on 87 when Kirov was sent off for persistent fouling.

Final Score

Kazakhstan 0 - 4 England

England - Andorra

I made some serious changes for the match against Andorra. Weaker opposition gave me a chance to give fringe players a game. Paul Robinson, Scott Parker, Jimmy Bullard, Gabriel Agbonlahor and Ishmael Miller all started and they did me proud. Bullard and Miller, in particular, producing performances worthy of a man of the match award.

Our opening goal was something to savor. Rooney, plying his magic on the left wing, received the ball from Lampard and, from the edge of the area, chipped it over the keeper and into the net. Scott Parker got number two, a side footed effort, latching on to the rebound of a ferocious tackle from Bullard on Gutierrez. Number three was a textbook header from Ferdinand after a Lampard corner. He repeated the act just before half time to make it 4-0.

In the second half Miller started to show that the big stage and international push hadn’t phased him at all. His mazy dribble down the wing and into the box, a delight, before laying it on a plate for Agbonlahor. He set Agbonlahor up again for number six with a beautiful pass into space, having received the ball from Lampard. Lamps completed the route with a side footed effort in the 76th minute, after a run and cross from Agbonlahor.

An emphatic victory, but it was to be expected and our campaign was right on track. A win against Croatia, at home, in September, would all but confirm our place in South Africa.

Final Score

England 7 - 0 Andorra

September 2009

Goalkeepers

Robert Green, David James, Chris Kirkland.

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Leon Barnett, Wayne Bridge, Rio Ferdinand, Tony Hibbert, Phil Jagielka, Micah Richards, Jack Rodwell, Ryan Taylor.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Beckham, Joe Cole, Kieron Dyer, Steven Gerrard, Jonathan Greening, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Mark Noble, Scott Parker.

Forwards

Dean Ashton, Dave Nugent, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney.

England - Croatia

Leighton Baines, Leon Barnett, Tony Hibbert, Jack Rodwell, Ryan Taylor, Joanthan Greening, Mark Noble, Dave Nugent, Kieron Dyer and Dean Ashton are all names that no-one would expect in a squad for a must win tie against Croatia. Win and we qualify with two games in hand, lose and my selection policy will be ripped to shreds.

Win it is! Regardless of three debuts and Dave Nugent up front. Mark Noble, Tony Hibbert and Leighton Baines join the ranks of players to receive a cap under my management. They all perform well, Baines in particular, giving me food for thought and Ashley Cole incentive to improve.

The opener came after only four minutes, Rio Ferdinand rising high above Corluka to nod Gerard’s corner, back across goal and into the bottom corner. The second required more teamwork and skill. Jagielka headed Pletikosa’s goal kick forward to Nugent, the Pompey forward turned and ran at the defence before laying it off for Gerard. The Captain played it out wide to Rooney, whose dummy pass to the edge of the area was perfect for Lampard, his pile driver finding the top corner, giving us a two goal advantage and giving the fans something to sing about.

Gerard got in on the act with a spectacular drive from just inside the D, after good work from Nugent down the right. The 3-0 win confirmed our place in South Africa, our record was incredible and hopes were high, but perhaps the most enjoyable aspect for the English fans was the win against Croatia.

Final Score

England 3 - 0 Croatia

October 2009

Goalkeepers

Robert Green, Chris Kirkland, Ross Turnbull.

Defenders

Wayne Bridge, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, Phil Neville, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock, Jonathan Woodgate.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Beckham, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Danny Guthrie, Frank Lampard, Scott Parker, Jermaine Pennant, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Peter Crouch, Emile Heskey, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney.

Ukraine - England

The group was won and qualification confirmed, but we couldn’t take our eyes off the prize and International football is so sporadic that when you achieve any semblance of form/consistency you have to maintain it, or at least try to maintain it. As such, we couldn’t pick a team to give people a chance and we had to continue with the strongest team possible. Of course I still brought a few new faces who had been doing the business in the Premiership, but there weren’t the raft of changes that some might have expected.

Ashley Cole’s Chelsea form left a lot to be desired and Man City’s Wayne Bridge had filled his shoes, but the backup was ever changing, this time it was the turn of Stephen Warnock to plays second fiddle on the left side of defence. Jermaine Pennant earned a call up, but was unlikely to feature and the much maligned Emile Heskey was brought in after 13 goals in 20 league games.

Qualification and lack of match importance was obviously on the player’s minds as there was a serious lack of effort in the first 50 minutes, against a seriously weak Ukranian side. The break through came on 55, Young’s pass inside, picked up by Carrick and threaded through to Owen on the edge of the area, whose turn and curl into the bottom corner was sublime.

Owen added a second as he galloped towards Sir Bobby Charlton’s record. Glenn Johnson’s chip down the right was headed down by Rooney, into the path of Lampard. Lampard played it into the area, where Owen was available tot hook it right to left across the keeper and make the result look more respectable than the performance.

Final Score

Ukraine 0 - 2 England

England - Belarus

The group ended with another weak performance, against very weak opposition, but once again the job was done. The only goal of the game coming from Jagielka after a Beckham corner. More important than the result or performance was the overall performance in the qualifying stages. We had sent a warning shot out about our intentions and ability, 10 wins out of 10 matches, averaging over 3 goals per game and conceding only 1 in those 10 games. We were bang on form.

Final Score

England 1 - 0 Belarus

| Pos   | Inf   | Team       |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   | Q     | England    |       | 10    | 10    | 0     | 0     | 31    | 1     | +30   | 30    | 
| 2nd   | Pl    | Croatia    |       | 10    | 8     | 0     | 2     | 24    | 8     | +16   | 24    | 
| 3rd   |       | Ukraine    |       | 10    | 6     | 0     | 4     | 20    | 13    | +7    | 18    | 
| 4th   |       | Belarus    |       | 10    | 3     | 1     | 6     | 12    | 15    | -3    | 10    | 
| 5th   |       | Andorra    |       | 10    | 1     | 2     | 7     | 6     | 32    | -26   | 5     | 
| 6th   |       | Kazakhstan |       | 10    | 0     | 1     | 9     | 5     | 29    | -24   | 1     | 

The World Cup groups were drawn and we were given a relatively easy group for South Africa 2010.

| 1st   |       | Algeria    |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 2nd   |       | Costa Rica |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 3rd   |       | England    |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 4th   |       | Sweden     |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 

The qualifying group for the Euro Championships threw up some familiar faces in Croatia and Kazakhstan. Whether or not I’d be in charge for this campaign depended on a) our performance in the World Cup b) how other teams performed and their opinion of Alfredo Dick.

| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Kazakhstan    |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Croatia       |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 3rd   |       | Switzerland   |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 4th   |       | England       |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 5th   |       | Luxembourg    |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 6th   |       | FYR Macedonia |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 7th   |       | Slovakia      |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 8th   |       | Montenegro    |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 

• 2 weeks later...

June 2010

Goalkeepers

Scott Carson, Robert Green, Chris Kirkland

Defenders

Ashley Cole, Anton Ferdinand, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Phil Neville, Michael Turner, Stephen Warnock

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Bentley, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Dean Whitehead, Ashley Young

Forwards

Peter Crouch, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney

England - Finland

Friendly

With our World Cup due to start on 16th June, our opening game against Sweden, it was time to give a hint of what my squad would be. Would I continue my risky selection policy? Surely not, not with the games biggest prize up for grabs and surely not, with England touted as potential Champions after their impressive qualification. All that had gone before and all that lay ahead mattered little to me, I would continue my selection policy and those players who deserved a seat on the plane to South Africa would get one.

In a shock move I named my squad in the build up to the Finland game. The option was there to select 26 players and then trim it down to 23, but why wait, what did I stand to gain from having those 3 extra players available for one week? Anton Ferdinand, Michael Turner, Stephen Warnock, David Bentley, Dean Whitehead and Scott Carson were all surprising names on the list, but the biggest shock were the names that didn’t make it. Paul Robinson, Wayne Bridge, Joleon Lescott and Micah Richards hadn’t produced the goods and the likes of Warnock had benefitted from their loss of form.

I took the chance to give some of the lesser players a run out against Finland, but it was the old boys, the usual suspects who produced the goods. Lampard finishing left footed, low past the keeper after a well weighted pass into the area from Warnock.

Gerard got goal number two and it was a little bit special. The captain received the ball 25 yards out and drove forward, powering his way past one and showing excellent skill to get past another two defenders before smashing it into the top corner. It was a superb finish and sublime run, but it was only a friendly and as soon as the referee blew his whistle for the end of the game it was time to start preparing and thinking about more important games and the trip to South Africa.

Final Score

England 2 - 0 Finland

June 2010

Goalkeepers

Scott Carson, Robert Green, Chris Kirkland.

Defenders

Ashley Cole, Anton Ferdinand, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Phil Neville, Michael Turner, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Bentley, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Dean Whitehead, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Peter Crouch, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney.

Sweden - England

World Cup 2010 Group Match

So it begins, the biggest competition in any footballer or manager’s career, the World Cup in South Africa and a grudge match against Sweden. The South African heat would take it’s toll on my players, who weren’t used to such conditions, but the same could be said of Sweden and it was up to us to take the game to an evenly matched side.

Lampard stole the show in the first 45 minutes of my World Cup experience. A driven freekick finding the bottom corner, from 25 yards out and a penalty on 37 after Mellberg handled in the area. So far so good, it looked as though we had carried our form from the qualifying rounds into the competition and without getting too far ahead of ourselves, a win against Sweden would almost guarantee our place in the knockout rounds (no disrespect to Costa Rica or Algeria).

However, Sweden decided to make a game of it and pulled one back on 53. Zlatan’s pass in to Goitom knocked clear by Ferdinand, but not far enough, Goitom was the first to react, curling a beautiful strike into the top corner and giving Green no chance. Five minutes later and out two goal advantage was restored when Owen fired between the near post and the keeper, after good work down the right from Young.

With the clock ticking down, it looked like we could relax, but Zlatan gave us a wake up call just 2 minutes from full time. Larsson’s long ball over the defence was called by Green, but Zlatan was having none of it and hounded the keeper as he shaped to make his clearance. Green’s punt up field rebounded off the tall striker’s back and he managed to get past Green and slot the ball into the empty net, giving Sweden a consolation and leaving Green with a very red face.

That’s how it ended and despite our early superiority Sweden had come back and given us food for thought. Having conceded only one goal during qualification, it had seemed unthinkable that we could concede two in one game and if we could concede two against Sweden, it was obvious that we had to improve before we hit the business end of the competition.

Final Score

Sweden 2-3 England

June 2010

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Ashley Cole, Anton Ferdinand, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Phil Neville, Michael Turner, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Bentley, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Dean Whitehead, Ashley Young.

Forwards

England - Costa Rica

The win against Sweden had given us a commanding position in the group and only a fantastical result against Costa Rica or Algeria could halt our march into the knockout stages. However, the job wasn’t done, just yet, we had to keep our eyes on the ball and even thought the temptation was there to field a weakened side and we couldn’t afford to take the risk. If we won this one, we could try out luck with the backup against Algeria.

Despite his mistake in the Sweden match, which led to Zlatan’s goal, Green kept his place between the sticks and he went some way towards making amends when he produced an assist for Owen to open the scoring. The keeper’s punt down field should have been dealt with, but the Costa Rican defenders dithered and a wayward bounce found a free Owen, who slid the ball between the keeper’s legs with consummate ease.

Goal number two was something of a surprise, Costa Rica equalizing and England on the back foot. Calderon picked the ball up from a throw in and swung a speedy cross into the area, Ferdinand was there to head it clear, but only as far as Borges who hit the ball perfectly, on the volley, and found the top corner. It was a beautiful goal and no keeper or defence could have done anything about it, but despite our reddened faces it would only prove to be a consolation.

Rooney has disappointed me since I took charge of England, in saying that, he’s played a majority of his football, for me, on the wings and such is Micahel Owen’s form that a player of Rooney’s ability doesn’t get that single spot up front. He works well on the wing, but his creativity is lacking at times, not today, today he showed the world how versatile he can be and what skill her has. Receiving the ball on the half way line, he pushed forward, with pace, close control and power. Past three defenders and into the box, cutting back inside and curling past the keeper with his left foot. Goal of tournament and it’s only game number two?

Lampard completed the scoring with a penalty after a foul on Rooney. The win confirmed our place in the next round and meant that I had the lucury of giving my first teamers a rest in the match against Algeria, before going into a game against either Spain or Nigeria.

Final Score

England 3 - 1 Costa Rica

June 2010

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

Algeria - England

The last group game and with qualification guaranteed I took the chance to give some of the backup players a run out and the first teamers a rest. One or two of the players selected had a chance to show me what they could do and make a claim for a starting place in the knockout round. Defence in particular, with Jagielka, Turner and Ferdinand junior battling out for the second central position.

Joe Cole started on the left and he opened the scoring. Gareth Barry managed to break up play in the centre of the park and play it forward to Cole, whose mazy dribble into the area was delightful and only eclipsed by his inch perfect, low curling drive into the bottom right corner. Goal number two came from more good work down the left wing, Ashley Cole getting past his man and playing a low ball into the box for Bentley, the Spurs wide man controlled, turned and flicked the ball into the bottom corner with the outside of his right boot.

Scott Parker was doing well as he filled Lampard’s boots in central midfield and deserved his goal. Barry’s cut back from the byline, drilled into the bottom corner, from the edge of the box, by West Ham’s star midfielder. An Ashley Cole penalty meant that we went in at half time with a four goal lead and well on course for a clean sweep in the group stages.

The second half started with West Brom’s Michael Turner making a mistake that could define his international career. A long punt up field from the Algerian keeper and Turner let it bounce, over his head and before he could turn and control Ghezzal was onto it, into the box and firing past Green. The mistake won’t affect my opinion of him, everyone makes mistakes, but I hope it doesn’t knock his confidence too much; confidence and international ability go hand in hand.

The final goal of the game came from the left wing, yet again, and a goal mouth scramble. Joe Cole’s pass to Parker, on the edge of the area, looked set to assist a replica of Parker’s goal earlier in the game, but the Algerian keeper matched his low drive with an excellent save. However, he could only push it a few feet out and the ensuing scramble culminated with a Dean Whitehead finish and a 5-1 score line. Onwards and upwards, Nigeria are waiting for us in the Knockout Round.

Final Score

Algeria 1 - 5 England

June 2010

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

England - Nigeria

World Cup First Knockout Stage

Nigeria and their physicality were always going to be tough opposition to break down. Their goal threat was limited, but in midfield they had skill, athleticism and determination, add in the scalp of one of the biggest names in World football and the incentive was there for an upset.

They battled and we battled, chances were spurned and going in at half time 0-0 it looked like Nigeria’s game plan was working and we knew that we had to up our game if we were to get the job done within 90 minutes. After the break and more of the same, we pushed, but we couldn’t break them down, until the 58th minute when a moment of madness from Obina saw him get his marching orders, after a vicious elbow was aimed at Lampard’s face.

Nigeria were tiring already, heavy legs from chasing and hounding us. Now we had an extra man and now we had the chance to put them under real pressure, but it never materialised. We continued to struggle and Nigeria should be praised for their resolve, finally broken and beaten by Ferdinand’s header from a Lampard corner in the 65th minute, but no-one could take anything away from the opposition.

We had booked a place in the Quarter Finals, but we would have to improve if we were to test the tournament favorites, one of our biggest rivals, Argentina.

Final Score

England 1 – 0 Nigeria

*Glad you're enjoying T3hB3n, only 3 strikers because I only play one up front.*

June 2010

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

Argentina - England

World Cup 2010 Quarter Final

They might not be Germany, but the rivalry with Argentina is just as fierce. The hand of God, Beckham’s red card, the stage was set for a frantic battle, a battle that we could win.

Five minutes before half time and holding our own in the game we came unstuck. Messi’s dribble down the left wing and cross to the far post was converted by Zabaleta. Green should have claimed the ball in the air and Cole should have stayed with his man, but we couldn’t dwell on that. Half time was spent encouraging them, telling them they could do it, but knowing that we faced an uphill struggle.

By the 71st minute it looked like we were starting to run out of steam and with end to end football played, it seemed unlikely that we could keep it up for much longer. Then, in the 72nd minute, a moment of genius gave us the inspiration to push forward. Johnson’s run down the right ended with a cross into the 6 yard box, there was Lampard to control the ball with his chest and fire the falling ball past the keeper. The stadium erupted and we were back in with a shout.

Three minutes into the first period of extra time and Carlos Tevez showed us what he could do. Sorin playing it to him in the centre circle, the stocky forward held the ball well and showed great close control as he rampaged down the right wing, past Cole as if he wasn’t there, before drifting a far post cross in for Lucho Gonzalez to convert. It didn’t kill our hope and from the kick off Bentley found himself with the ball and in plenty of space on the right hand side. Argentina were still celebrating and their lack of concentration gave Bentley a chance to play a long ball to the far side of the area, where Joe Cole was available to smash a sweet left footed volley into the back of the net.

Just two minutes into the second period and disaster struck. We worked hard to keep the ball out of the area and fought our corner, but eventually Sorin got the better of an exhausted Glen Johnson. His left wing cross has flicked by Aguero, but it wasn’t on target and would have bounced wide, had Rio Ferdinand not stuck out a leg and diverted it past his own keeper. It was a cruel blow, for the team and in particular Ferdinand, the hero of the Nigeria game.

The match ended 3-2, Argentina would take their place in the Semis and we would be on a plane back to England, underachievers, yet again. Thank goodness I don’t read the papers, my conversation with the head of the Italian FA, 15 minutes after England’s exit and two days after Lippi’s sacking, is bound to be front page.

Final Score

Argentina 3 - 2 England

September 2010

Goalkeepers

Ben Foster, Robert Green, Paul Robinson.

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Tony Hibbert, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Jack Rodwell, Danny Simpson, Michael Turner, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders

David Bentley, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, James Milner, Leon Osman, Nigel Reo-Coker, Steve Sidwell, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Dean Ashton, Jermain Defoe, Michael Owen, Alan Smith.

Luxembourg - England

European Championship Qualifier

Fabio Capello was the man the Italian FA chose to guide their team into the European Championships, was I bitter? Yes. Were the English fans bitter? Yes. The boos and jeers rang out from the visitors end as we took to the pitch, as much for my lack of loyalty as my team selection, which many had been surprised by. Rooney dropped, Lampard and Ferdinand dropped.

With such a weak squad, expectations of a rout were low, which was good, because it never materialised. The first goal of the game came in the 33rd minute, when Bentley found Owen on the edge of the box. The tiny poacher was closing in on Bobby Charlton’s record, but ignored the glory and pulled the ball back to Young who fired it past the keeper.

We struggled on and never impressed, but eventually got some reward for perseverance when Bentley fired in number two from a ridiculous angle, on the right side of the box, after Jagielka played him in from Spogen’s loose clearance.

I was greeted with more boos and jeers at the sound of the final whistle and tried to kid myself that they were a result of the performance.

Final Score

Luxembourg 0 - 2 England

Kazakhstan - England

Another away trip and this time to Kazakhstan, another victory expected and yet more rumbles from the away support, who couldn’t believe that the English FA had forgiven and forgotten. They expected them to have learned their lessons after Sven-gate, but who could they realistically turn to? Sam Allardyce? I’ll stifle a laugh.

Alan Smith, back in the England squad after a long while in limbo, was really impressing me. His grit and determination, chasing down every ball and hustling their midfield meant that Gerard had the freedom to play how he liked and set up Young for the opening goal and his second in two games. The Villa winger finding the top corner with a peach of a left foot strike after a beautiful through ball from the Captain. He set up the second goal as well, a record breaking goal from Micahel Owen. Gerard’s header forward, from the keepers goal kick, found Owen goal side and through one on one, for a striker of his ability it was all to easy to nutmeg the keeper and claim Sir Bobby’s record.

Gerard was everywhere and behind everything good that we produced. He deserved his goal, our third, a trademark screamer from thirty out, finding the top corner and leaving the keeper with no chance. Owen got his second with a turn and shot from the edge of the box and it was all over, even before Tiekhugov headed in Kusainov’s corner for a consolation in the 70th minute.

There were some cheers this time. Four goals getting them excited, but I hadn’t made an appearance back on home soil yet and I dreaded that moment.

Final Score

Kazakhstan 1 - 4 England

*Thanks lads, really glad you're enjoying it :)*

October 2010

Goalkeepers

Scott Carson, Ben Foster, Robert Green.

Defenders

Wayne Bridge, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, Elliot Omozusi, Matthew Upson

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Bentley, Jimmy Bullard, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Owen Hargreaves, James Milner, Steve Sidwell, Ashley Young

Forwards

Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney

England - Croatia

My saving grace was the resentment English fans still had for Croatia. Two years on and two tournaments later, they were still bitter about missing out on the Euros and the abuse the Croatians received, drowned out the abuse I was receiving, from a select minority.

Not one for the purists, a scrappy game was overshadowed by breaks in play, dives and fouls. We got our goal on 18, the only goal of the game. David Bentley providing the finish, having received a pass from Bullard, striking it left footed, the keeper had the chance to save it, but could only push it into the top corner.

Three wins from three games, we were making steady, but unprolific progress.

Final Score

England 1 - 0 Croatia

England – Switzerland

Switzerland are no mugs, but that doesn’t mean that we weren’t expected to win and win comfortably. However, we made a meal of it and could easily have lost.

We opened the scoring with a lovely Rooney finish after a beautiful through ball that sliced the defence in half, from Gerard. Young added a second, from another inch perfect Gerard assist, just before half time and it looked like we were well on course for our victory.

Just after the break Switzerland pulled one back, a header from Derdiyok after a Behrami run and cross. Green should have claimed it and it was a tame goal to concede. Minutes later Derdyiok turned provider as he played a cross into the box fro Frei to head towards goal and past Green, the bar denying him and saving. Ashley Cole restored our two goal advantage, his penalty after Rooney was fouled, was saved by the keeper, but the rebound found it’s way to him and it was the easiest of tap ins.

With ten minutes to go, having hit the bar a further two times, Switzerland struck again, to give us a nerve racking end to the game. Spycher’s corner and Alex Geijo’s header after a mistake from Green, the tension in the stands and on the pitch was noticeable, squeaky bum time had set in, but we managed to hold them off. The final whistle sounding and the players leaving the pitch to a chorus of home support boos.

Final Score

England 3 - 2 Switzerland

*Cheers CAFCIan75, after this latest match, it looks like we'll need it.*

November 2010

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Wayne Bridge, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, Micah Richards, Matthew Upson.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Bentley, Jimmy Bullard, Joe Cole, Owen Hargreaves, James Milner, Scott Parker, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Dean Ashton, Darren Bent, Chris Porter, Wayne Rooney, Alan Smith.

Slovakia – England

We were making hard work of this group. Yes, it was a bit tougher than our World Cup qualifying group, but it should still have been plain sailing. Defensively, we had already conceded three times the amount of goals conceded in our previous campaign and we had only played four matches. Work was needed, consistency and form had to be recaptured, but right now three points against weaker opposition were essential.

To say that nothing happened in the first hour would be an understatement. Both teams lacked direction and only Slovakia showed signs of posing a threat. We looked tired and weak. Sloppy passing and over indulgent forward play meant that we entered the break without a single attempt on goal.

The turning point, two minutes after the hour, was the sending off of Slovakian captain Miroslav Karhan for a reckless two footed tackle from behind on Joe Cole. Cole suffered a gashed leg and had to be replaced with Young, but the fuss around the foul and subsequent card gave us heart and the bit was back between the teeth.

However, it wasn’t enough. All the huffing and puffing in the world wasn’t going to break down the ten man Slovakian defence, no matter how angry we were. With four minutes to go it seemed like we would have to settle for a humiliating draw and lose our place at the top of the group, but a Bentley corner and a Ferdinand header spared our blushes.

Final Score

Slovakia 0 – 1 England

February 2011

Goalkeepers

Scott Carson, Ben Foster, Paul Robinson.

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Wayne Bridge, Rio Ferdinand, Tony Hibbert, Phil Jagielka, Ledley King, Elliot Omozusi, Matthew Upson.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Bentley, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Owen Hargreaves, Frank Lampard, Scott Parker, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Gabriel Agbonlahor, Darren Bent, Andy Johnson, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney.

Czech Republic - England

Friendly

Despite my best efforts to give a new feel to this England side and turn it into a team of form players rather than superstars, it was becoming apparent that those superstars were superstars for a reason. My preconception of prancing prima donna’s more interested in their wage than the result, remained, but it was clear that the skill to back this up and my squad selections weren’t what I had expected.

There was the odd shock, but for the most part the usual suspects appeared when I named my squad. Gerard remained as Captain, Lampard and Cole were consistently ahead of everyone else in their position in the Premier League. Barry and Ferdinand were always head and shoulders above their opposition and only one or two positions actually needed to be thought about when selecting the starting eleven. Rooney and Owen continued to battle it out for the single forward position and Young, Joe Cole, Upson, Jagielka, Benltey and Milner did battle for the remaining slots. It was same old story, game in game out and getting very, very boring.

The Czech Republic, for some bizarre reason, were our friendly competitors for the second time in just over two years, providing a test while we waited for the next round of qualifying to arrive in March. They were a very similar team, a nice blend of ability and determination and would always provide a stern test for my England side. However, it seemed that we would have the upper hand when Lampard blasted low past Cech in the 3rd minute. Hibbert picking up Owen’s ball on the right wing and playing it in to Fat Frank on the edge of the area, his first touch took him past his marker and into space, with ample time to apply his finish.

It was a false dawn, the Czech’s came back at us and went about passing the ball around our team in a humiliating first half that ended with us lucky not to be behind. They hit the bar twice and finally got their reward in the 43rd minute, a ball to the back post looked to be finding Baros unmarked, but a lunge from Hibbert brought the former Liverpool man down and the referee didn’t hesitate in pointing to the spot. Baros dusted himself down and blasted the ball past Green.

The second half was an improvement and we should have taken the lead in the 59th minute. A long ball forward, chased by Owen and Cech, Owen got the better of the Czech stopper and played it back to Lampard, 30 yards out, he was the man you wanted in this situation, but despite the open net he managed to strike the bar and the red faced keeper managed to pick up the rebound.

They hit the bar again in the 80th minute, but eventually we took control and after a string of corners that caused confusion in the box, but were eventually cleared, Ferdinand managed to get his head on one and gave us a win that we didn’t really deserve.

Final Score

Czech Republic 1 - 2 England

March 2011

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Jagielka, Ledley King, Phil Neville, Micah Richards, Matthew Upson.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Bentley, Jimmy Bullard, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Owen Hargreaves, Frank Lampard, Scott Parker, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Theo Walcott.

England – Montenegro

Back to the grindstone as we return to qualifying and competitive football, so far so good, we’re on course for another clean sweep in another unbeaten campaign. We haven’t lost, in ordinary time, for almost three years, Germany the last team to beat us without the aid of blistering heat and 30 minutes of extra time.

Three minutes into the game and Rooney had given us the lead, a deft flick past the keeper after an excellent pass from Carrick, who was filling in for Gerard and doing just as good a job. Number two was provided by another Manchester United player, Owen Hargreaves, a man who had spent the best part of two season on the bench for his club had suddenly found himself first choice and his displays deserved a recall to the International team. His pass into the box was collected by Joe Cole who danced past the a defender before coolly sliding it past the keeper.

On 55 Frank Lampard made it 3-0 with a powerful low drive, from a 25 yard free kick, it looked like we were home and dry, coasting to victory, but as soon as we took our foot off the gas Montenegro hit us on the break. Jovetic picking up Drincic pass into the D, turning and walking through our back line and firing past Carson.

Rooney restored our three goal advantage with a fantastic long range drive, a contender for goal of the campaign, until Milic went one better and found the top corner of Carson’s net with a 40 yard, left foot, curler. It was a beautiful goal and no-one could begrudge the Montenegro players celebrating such a moment of magic, but points are all important and as the final whistle was blown, we had all three.

Final Score

England 4 – 2 Montenegro

England – Kazakhstan

This was a bizarre match. Action pack, goals flying in, tempers flaring and red cards given. I had never expected Kazakhstan to take the game quite so seriously.

We had the lead within 50 seconds, Joe Cole sliding in to poke the ball home, after a poor headed clearance from Bentleys wide left free kick. After ten minutes the first red card was issued, Ardeev given his marching orders after a two footed lunge on Bentley. Ferdinand got the second and got his 10th international goal in the process, nodding home Bentley’s corner.

Lampard’s breathtaking volley from the edge of the area, Bentley’s turn and finish, Joe Cole’s flick gave us a 5-0 lead at half time and the team talk couldn’t be easier.

It was unlikely that the second half would live up to the first, in terms of excitement, but there was still time for another goal and another red card. Lampard completing his brace with a blasted effort into the bottom corner after a pull back from Rooney. Baizhanov was the second player to receive his marching orders, straight red for a tackle from behind on Rio, a strange decision considering Ferdinand had his back to goal and was passing to half way.

Seven down and seven won, 5 clear of Switzerland and 8 ahead of Croatia, our place in the finals is all but confirmed.

Final Score

England 6 – 0 Kazakhstan

| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| 1st   |       | England       |       | 7     | 7     | 0     | 0     | 21    | 5     | +16   | 21    | 
| 2nd   |       | Switzerland   |       | 7     | 5     | 1     | 1     | 18    | 5     | +13   | 16    | 
| 3rd   |       | Croatia       |       | 7     | 4     | 1     | 2     | 12    | 4     | +8    | 13    | 
| 4th   |       | Slovakia      |       | 7     | 4     | 0     | 3     | 18    | 8     | +10   | 12    | 
| 5th   |       | Montenegro    |       | 7     | 3     | 2     | 2     | 17    | 11    | +6    | 11    | 
| 6th   |       | FYR Macedonia |       | 7     | 2     | 0     | 5     | 5     | 21    | -16   | 6     | 
| 7th   |       | Luxembourg    |       | 7     | 0     | 1     | 6     | 3     | 20    | -17   | 1     | 
| 8th   |       | Kazakhstan    |       | 7     | 0     | 1     | 6     | 2     | 22    | -20   | 1     | 

This is a really good read, I have never posted in here before but will be reading this thread from now on. A quick question, is Bent at Sunderland? Also great to see Bullard in the squad I hope to see some more different players. KUTGW.

*Thanks AcidBurn, glad you're enjoying it. Bent is still at Spurs, I started the save on 9.3 and Bullard might be losing his International place as Hull have just been relegated :(*

June 2011

Goalkeepers

Scott Carson, Ben Foster, Robert Green.

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, Joleon Lescott, Phil Neville, Michael Turner, Matthew Upson.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, Joey Barton, David Bentley, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Darren Bent, Jermain Defoe, Chris Porter, Wayne Rooney, Theo Walcott.

Croatia - England

With Hargreaves injured the only alternative, who had played a decent amount of games and performed well, was Joey Barton. A figure of hate in England, he had a blinkered history and a chorus of boos rang round the stadium when his name was read out and every time he touched the ball. To me this matters little, he is but a pawn in the bigger picture and as long as he does his job on the pitch, I couldn’t care less what he does off it.

A match against rivals couldn’t turn the fans attention to the actual play, until the 12th minute. The ball fired out left to Modric, who had time and space to pick out a cross and find Eduardo, whose diving header in the 6 yard box put us a goal behind. We fought back well and eventually the equaliser came, Lampard getting his sixth of the campaign with a well timed volley on the penalty spot, after good work down the right from Ashley Young.

Finally we took the lead, just after half time, Gerard finding the back of the net with a powerful header from a Young corner. However, the lead lasted only 10 minutes and Croatia came back at us with another Eduardo goal. The Arsenal striker sliding in to finish after Lampard’s poor clearance from a Kalinic cross.

The score line flattered to deceive and we could easily have lost, but we showed great defensive strength to hold them at bay and maintain our unbeaten record in qualification.

Final Score

Croatia 2 - 2 England

Macedonia – England

It was imperative that we claimed all three points in the away tie with Macedonia. The draw with Croatia was disappointing and whilst it still looked like we were a cert for qualification, we had work to do and a knock to confidence or morale could damage us.

We started well, Rooney slamming the ball into the back of the net after just 10 minutes, after yet another fantastic run to the byline from Ashley Young, who was performing wonders on the right. Domination continued, but we couldn’t break them down. Things went from bad to worse in the 35th minute when our captain, Gerard, received his second yellow.

Moving Barton into the gap left by Gerard and ignoring the deep lying midfield role, in order to press for a second, looked like a bad decision when Shumikoski equalised. Nedzipi, with his back to goal, held up the ball on the edge of the area before playing it back to the rampaging Shumkoski, his left foot drive caught Carson unaware and almost ripped the net out of the ground.

My half time team talk left the players in no uncertainty that a win was of the utmost importance and it did the trick. Rooney restored our lead, with his second goal of the game, another through ball from Young and a finish between the keepers legs sealing a superb team move. Lampard made certain of the victory in the 70th minute, a fantastic, curling, drive from 30 yards out finding the bottom corner.

Final Score

Macedonia 1 - 3 England

August 2011

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Mark Beevers, Ashley Cole, Curtis Davies, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, Jack Rodwell.

Midfielders

David Bentley, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Owen Hargreaves, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Nigel Reo-Coker, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Darren Bent, Matt Derbyshire, Wayne Rooney, Theo Walcott.

Luxembourg - England

A squad to be picked before a Premiership ball had been kicked, only Manchester United and Chelsea had played in a competitive match, the Community Shield decided by a penalty shoot out. This made it very difficult to select my players and for the most part I had to rely on reputation, not form, a break from my norm, but a forced break. As such Mark Beevers, Jack Rodwell and Matt Derbyshire found themselves in line for their first cap. Beevers and Derbyshire had provided moving of the biggest transfer stories of the summer to Roma (£11m) and Atletico Madrid (£10m) respectively.

Within 21 minutes we were 4-0 up and the game was over. Our passing was perfect and our movement superb. Rooney got the opener, firing in the loose ball resulting from the keepers block on Hargreaves. Rooney then turned provider, laying it off for Carrick, on the edge of the area, whose neat side foot found the bottom corner. Walcott got in on the act, converting Baines far post cross and Lampard added number four with a flicked header, into the top corner, from Hargreaves cross.

The second half, and more of the same. Rooney controlling Walcotts pass into the 6 yard box and finishing, grabbing yet another brace. Baines got a header from Hargreaves corner, before Hargreaves got one of his own, a free kick into the top right, from just inside the D.

Luxembourg were weak opposition and a win was always expected, but such a convincing win seemed unlikely, but the players couldn’t be faulted and if anything, there could have been more.

Final Score

Luxembourg 0 - 7 England

*Grrrr Mark, you put the scud on! :(*

September 2011

Goalkeepers

Mark Bunn, Scott Carson, Robert Green.

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Wes Brown, Gary Cahill, Jack Hobbs, Phil Jagielka, Michael Mancienne, Phil Neville, Stephen Warnock, David Wheater.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Matt Jarvis, Frank Lampard, Steve Sidwell, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Gabriel Agbonlahor, Jermain Defoe, Dave Nugent, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck.

Switzerland – England

Two more qualifiers, quickly after the Luxembourg match, but this was no bad thing and I hoped that a 7-0 win would give the players the momentum needed to come up against our biggest challenger, in the group. It was still early days, in the Premier League season and as a result a number of players got their first call up and were in line to make their first appearance for their country.

With Hargreaves and Carrick injured we were thin on the ground in the centre of the park and a training injury for Gareth Barry meant that I was limited to selecting three from three in my central midfield formation. However, there was another option, which could work, but could backfire and I decided to go with it, moving Rooney into a central role, alongside Lamaprd and Gerard, the latter would assume defensive midfield duties and Rooney would assume Gerard’s attacking duties, whilst Welbeck made his debut up front. It was a bold move, but I was confident that the Swiss would struggle to cope with the skill in our midfield.

We were left stunned, in the 27th minute, when Senderos headed in the opener. A glancing header finding it’s way past Green after an inch perfect free kick from Magnin. The goal knocked our confidence and Hobbs, making his debut in the centre of defence, didn’t recover. It was his poor defensive header that Inler picked up and fired past the keeper to double their lead and leave us with an uphill task, going in at half time.

A foul mouthed tirade, tempers flared, slaps were given and bits of kit thrown, at half time and it seemed to do the trick. Two minutes after the break and we got back into it with a perfectly driven Agbonlahor finish after a sweet through ball from Jagielka. We continued to press, but the Swiss were defending in numbers and holding us at bay. On 75 it looked like Rooney had put us on level terms, his volley from Agbonlahor’s corner, cannoning off the bar and over the line, but the referee was having none of it and the linesman’s flag stayed down. The players protested furiously, two yellows given and Ole Solskjaer, my right hand man, sent to the stands.

That was the final blow and you could visibly see the heads drop, the players run out of the huff and puff that had given us a chance and as the final whistle sounded, the Swiss celebrated, the boos rang out and the players trudged from the field.

Final Score

Switzerland 2 – 1 England

England – Slovakia

Despite the humiliating loss against the Swiss, the fans were in fine voice for our third to last game of the qualifying campaign. Having drawn with Croatia and lost to Switzerland, we were in the middle of our worst patch of form since I had taken over, which left us tied on points with Switzerland, but guaranteed a place at the finals if we managed to beat Slovakia. That said, the ignominy of coming second in the group, despite qualification, could prove disastrous and it was imperative that we found form again and won each of our final three games.

The tension was there for all to see and a series of misplaced passes and poor play meant that on 30 minutes we were still on level terms. On 38 we finally made a break through, Hubocan fouling Gerard in the area and Gerard finding the back of the net, with the resulting penalty, via the right hand post. We probably didn’t deserve it, but it did give us the confidence we needed to take control of the game and minutes before half time, Gerard struck again, a sweet left footed side strike into the top right hand corner.

With the crowd relaxed, a little, and our place in the finals all but confirmed, we could enjoy half time and the second half. The third and final goal came from Jagielka, rising high above Skrtel to nod it past the keeper from Young’s corner.

We were now guaranteed a place in the European Championships, but it should never have been in doubt and qualification should have been confirmed long ago. With that in mind, my decision was easy, though the players and FA were far from happy when I informed them of my intention to step down at the end of the competition and hopefully on high note.

Final Score

England 3 – 0 Slovakia

*Hopefully something a bit more interesting, AB. I just hope I can get another International job, my rep is still national and my choices might be limited.*

October 2011

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Mark Beevers, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Tony Hibbert, Phil Jagielka, Ledley King, Danny Simpson, David Wheater.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Beckham, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Owen Hargreaves, Frank Lampard, Scott Parker, Steve Sidwell, Scott Sinclair, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Jermain Defoe, Dave Nugent, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney.

Montenegro - England

Qualification was confirmed, but a group win would do wonders for confidence and fan morale, which had dipped of late. We needed to win both games, or hope that the Swiss were less interested in the group win.

It was a game of two halves, and the first half was ours. Owen, back in the team after a poor run of form, got the opener. His first touch and calm side footed finish, past the keeper, from a Lamaprd pass, showing that he still had what it takes to perform at this level. His second was just as good. Owen receiving the ball from Gerard, to the right of the penalty spot, and firing low past the keeper. Jagielka completed our scoring with a header from a Young corner and with news coming through that Croatia were ahead against Switzerland, it looked like the group was ours.

The second half was a completely different kettle of fish. We took our foot off the gas and Montenegro came at us. Vucinic got the first, a cool control, turn and finish from a Vukcevic cross on 55. Ten minutes later and there was only one goal in it, Vucinic again, this time finding space and with the defence standing off, plenty of time to pick his spot in the top corner.

With the clock running down we still had the lead, but Montenegro were all over us. Milic hitting the bar on 89, with a thunderous header and Batak rattled the post with a 30 yard drive, but we held on. The final whistle was a God send and despite the three points, the players knew that they hadn’t performed and much more was expected.

Final score

Montenegro 2 - 3 England

England – Macedonia

Croatia had beaten Switzerland, which meant all we needed was a point against Macedonia. With that in mind, I fielded a weaker team, Beckham coming in for Gerard, Wheater making his debut and Scott Sinclair getting the nod, ahead of Joe Cole.

We started well and 36 year old David Beckham showed the youngsters how it’s done, with a trade mark free kick, finding the top corner in the 11th minute. Lampard got the second, from the penalty spot, after Young was hauled down in the area.

Young continued his rampaging runs, down the right wing, and he got his reward in the 30th minute. Fantastic pace and trickery saw him to the byline, before he cut back inside and fired past the keepers near post. Beckham got a second, our fourth, with another beautiful free kick on the stroke of half time.

4-0 up and cruising, it was Macedonia who scored first in the second half, albeit a consolation. Pandev latching on to a long ball downfield and laying a well placed cross into the box for Nedzipi to head home. The clock ran down, but there was just enough time for Lampard to score a trademark long ranger, from 30 yards out, and the rout was complete.

The group ended on a high, though performances overall had been sloppy and inconsistent. Change and practice was needed, however, the English FA, in all their wisdom, had decided against pre tournament friendlies and our next match would be in 7 months time, the opening group match of the Euros and hopefully my 6th last match in charge.

Final Score

England 5 – 1 Macedonia

| 1st   | Q     | England       |       | 14    | 12    | 1     | 1     | 45    | 13    | +32   | 37    | 
| 2nd   | Q     | Switzerland   |       | 14    | 11    | 1     | 2     | 36    | 9     | +27   | 34    | 
| 3rd   |       | Croatia       |       | 14    | 9     | 3     | 2     | 32    | 12    | +20   | 30    | 
| 4th   |       | Montenegro    |       | 14    | 7     | 2     | 5     | 34    | 22    | +12   | 23    | 
| 5th   |       | Slovakia      |       | 14    | 6     | 2     | 6     | 39    | 23    | +16   | 20    | 
| 6th   |       | FYR Macedonia |       | 14    | 3     | 1     | 10    | 14    | 39    | -25   | 10    | 
| 7th   |       | Kazakhstan    |       | 14    | 1     | 2     | 11    | 3     | 44    | -41   | 5     | 
| 8th   |       | Luxembourg    |       | 14    | 0     | 2     | 12    | 7     | 48    | -41   | 2     | 

We were placed in Group B for the European Championships.

| Pos   | Inf   | Team    |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Ukraine |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | England |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 3rd   |       | Israel  |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 4th   |       | Russia  |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 

The World Cup Qualifiers, though it was almost certain I wouldn’t take part, threw up an interesting challenge against The Republic of Ireland and a chance to get revenge against Switzerland.

| Pos   | Inf   | Team        |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Switzerland |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Iceland     |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 3rd   |       | Ireland     |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 4th   |       | Lithuania   |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 5th   |       | England     |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 
| 6th   |       | Luxembourg  |       | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 0     | 

Montenegro was a bit more difficult than it should have been, good to see Owen bagged a brace though. I always find it best to load a game with the Ultimate Player Retain file if doing International management, means there are loads of nations to choose from. BE a challenge if you ended up as Bulgaria or Scotland manager lol. Good luck.

*I really wish i'd known about that retain all players file before I started this save! I left England, but the nation I took over had hardly any active players, so i've restarted the game, with retain all, and am currently holidaying through to July 2012. That means that the WCQ table will change, but that's a small price to pay to help the save and save the story :)*

June 2012

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Mark Beevers, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Phil Neville, Ryan Taylor, Jonathan Woodgate.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Bentley, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Isaiah Osbourne, Nigel Reo-Coker, Scott Sinclair, Ashley Young.

Forwards

Jermain Defoe, Dave Nugent, Michael Owen.

Ukraine – England

European Championships Group Match

Wayne Rooney would play no part in the tournament, a broken foot meant that he stayed in Manchester and forced my hand up front. Nugent and Defoe could do a job, but if we suffered any injuries, we would definitely struggle for goals.

Our campaign got off to the worst possible start, Mykhalyk heading past Bunn from Aliev’s corner in the 5th minute. The Ukraine were no mugs, but trailing to them was embarrassing for a team of our ability. We came back, but it took us over an hour to break them down. Gerard’s pass into the box, flicked on by Young and finished by Owen.

The goal restored some confidence and we started to show our superiority, first to every loose ball, our passing giving us the edge. However, Bogush was in inspired form and the tough Ukraine defence were limiting us to long range efforts, that were either pushed away or well wide.

Jagielka summed up our performance. Four chances, from four corners, in the last ten minutes, only one on target and that was straight at the keeper. I told myself that it was a slow start and that we could come back from this, but the limited quality in the squad means that I’m far less optimistic than I like to pretend.

Final Score

Ukraine 1 – 1 England

June 2012

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Mark Beevers, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Jagielka, Joleon Lescott, Phil Neville, Ryan Taylor, Jonathan Woodgate.

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, David Bentley, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Isaiah Osbourne, Nigel Reo-Coker, Scott Sinclair, Ashley Young.

Forwards

England – Russia

Russia had beaten Israel in the opening match and it seemed almost certain that the Ukraine would take all three points against them as well. That would leave the Ukraine with 4 points, going in to their game against Russia, and almost certain to qualify. With only 1 point, we couldn’t afford to lose against Russia, three points was a must.

The loss of Lampard meant that Gerard was our only creative force in the centre of midfield, Reo Coker and Barry both preferred deeper roles, and it was obvious from the kick off. An over reliance on Gerard meant that we looked like one trick ponies and Russia broke down our passing game easily.

On the stroke of 20 minutes, just as we were beginning to settle, Pogrebnyak struck. The lanky forward stretching to meet Zhirkov’s free kick, and forcing it home with his forehead. Bunn could and should have cut it out, Jagielka should have been closer to his man and Ashley Young should never have given the free kick away. Our heads dropped and going in at half time, we had it all to do.

The following 45 minutes were crucial and in our time of need I decided to try our luck with a new set up. Moving Gerard to the right, Barry in the centre, with Reo Coker in the gap between midfield and defence. Joe Cole remained on the left, and Defoe replaced Young and moved forward to partner Owen up front. The change in system and support for Owen worked and on 73 we got our equalizer. Defoe chasing a long punt downfield and just about managing to keep it in play, swinging in a cross first time, for Owen to volley home.

The relief was plain to see, but three points is what we needed and unfortunately, when the final whistle sounded, we only had one. Russia and Ukraine were two points ahead and both had better goal difference, which meant that we had to beat Israel and pray there was a winner when the two leaders met, a draw and we’re on a flight back to London, humiliated.

Final Score

England 1 – 1 Russia

June 2012

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

England – Israel

With 4-1-3-2 having caused the Russian’s so many problems; it was an easy decision to continue with the formation in the crunch match against Israel. Truth be told, my preference for a five man midfield was impossible due to the lack of attacking quality in central midfield and we were better placed to operate more defensively and rely on wing play, with two forwards leading the line.

Only ten minutes had passed when we took the lead, Gerard leading by example with a rampaging run from central midfield, towards the corner flag, swinging in an inch perfect cross for Owen to side foot home. It was Owen’s third goal of the tournament and even at this early stage it looked like he was going to be as influential as ever, if we managed to progress.

Joe Cole added a second and gave us breathing space, despite our dominance there had been some nerves evident until the second went in. His twisting and turning, slalom run inside and into the box, was only surpassed by his cool finish, left footed past the keeper. Our support roared, as much for the goal as the news that Ukraine had taken the lead against Russia.

As the clock ticked down news came through that the Ukraine led 3-0 and going in to the 93rd minute, our place in the Quarter Finals was secure. My sigh of relief coincided with Cole’s second of the game, set up by Owen.

It had been a group stage to forget, but I had to take solace in the fact that we had succeeded despite such woeful performances, heaven knows what we could do if we actually played well.

Final Score

England 3 – 0 Israel

June 2012

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

Sweden - England

Euro Championships Quarter Final

Owen had broken down in training, which left me in quite a pickle regards tactics. With a view to playing 4-5-1 I had only selected three strikers, but now, playing two up front and with Owen out, we had to hope that Nugent and Defoe could remain fit.

We were all over them, in the first 45 minutes, but limited to long shots as the Swedish defence held strong. At half time there was quiet confidence that we could break them down, but that was destroyed within one minute of the second half. The Swedish left back had the ball near the corner flag, getting ready to clear, when Ashley Young slid in, two footed and swiped his legs. The referee went for his pocket straight away and the red card was brandished. There could be no complaints, it was a vicious foul.

Bentley came on for Nugent, leaving Defoe up front by himself. Things went from bad to worse, in the 76th minute, when Gerard was shown a second yellow, for persistent fouling. He left the pitch to a chorus of boos, from our fans and rightly so. In our time of need, our captain let us down. 9 men against 11 in the European Championships Quarter Final.

We battled and defended, there was no chance of us nicking a goal now. On 90 it looked like Sweden were set to take the lead, Ibrahimovic swinging his foot at a loose ball, 6 yards out, Bunn threw himself in front of it, pushing it out, clambering up and throwing himself in front of Andersson’s drive.

Extra time was a wash out, camped on the edge of our area, Sweden unable to break us down and us unable to string more than two passes together. The match was destined for penalties and after watching my players, seemingly, throw it away, we had been handed a lifeline.

Barry, Andersson, Bentley, Ibrahimovic, Jagielka, Granqvist, Beevers, Goitom, Taylor, Kallstrom and Joe Cole, all converted their spot kicks. It was Hallenius versus Bunn, Hallenius drive down the centre of the goal was expertly diverted by Bunn’s outstretched legs, despite diving to his right. We’d done it, somehow, we’d done it and the young keeper, from Camden, only recently an international prospect had turned the game from disaster to delight and booked us a place in the semis.

The Semi Finals would pit us against our biggest rivals, Germany. We would be the underdogs, not least because Gerard would miss the game and Young would miss the rest of the tournament, a 1 match and 3 match ban respectively.

Final Score

Sweden 0(5) - 0(6) England (aet & p)

June 2012

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

England - Germany

Euro Championships Semi Final

We had stumbled into the Semi Finals of the competition. This was the least the FA had expected, though I doubt anyone had expected it to be such a struggle. We had won one of our four games, in ordinary time and that was against weaker opposition. Germany would provide a tougher task and with Gerard, Young, Lampard and Owen, all out, it seemed unlikely that we had any chance of a dream final place at the expense of our bitter rivals.

The crowd were in good spirits, this was our final, nobody expected us to win and the odds were stacked firmly against us, so you can imagine the delight and jubilation when Jermain Defoe gave us the lead after only 6 minutes. The tiny striker, in to fill the boots of England’s all time record scorer, Micahel Owen, took his chance with consummate ease. Barry’s corner wasn’t dealt with and the ball landed at the feet of Defoe, who fired a pile driver past the German keeper.

8 minutes before half time and we were giving a good account of ourselves, holding our own and the second string doing themselves proud, whilst the shamed Gerard and Young, watched from the stands. However, all our good work and commitment went to pot with a moment of genius from Gohlert. The German striker receiving the ball 30 yards from goal, turning and taking our defence to task. A neat sidestep saw him past Ferdinand and a quality nutmeg, past Taylor, Bunn had no chance of stopping his left footed drive and we went in, at half time, level at 1 – 1.

The second half was a wash out, the German players were tired and lacked the energy to really push us, whilst we sat back and repelled wave after wave of long balls forward. The match entered extra time and another 30 minutes of this, which in truth, was as much as we could ever have hoped for. Within 30 seconds of the kick off, Nugent had rattled the post. Screams of delight rang round the stadium as our fans began to believe.

They were vindicated in the 118th minute. Nugent controlling a long ball forward from Bunn and flicking it into the box. Defoe was offside, everyone in the stadium knew he was offside, but as the German backline stepped forward and raised their arms, the flag stayed down. Jermain looked almost embarrassed as he controlled the ball and slotted it, left footed, into the bottom corner. Everyone looked at each other, the Germans furious, the English dumfounded, but as it sunk in the celebrations began and within 90 seconds the whistle had been blown and we had somehow reached the final.

Nobody was more surprised than me and as we made our lap of honour the fans sounded their appreciation. We would meet Spain in the final and if we thought Germany was hard and hadn’t been expected to beat them, we had no chance against Spain. Despite the celebrations, there were negatives. Bentley would miss the final due to a calf strain and with Young suspended, our task would be even more difficult. Owen and Lampard wouldn’t recover in time, but Gerard would be available, but worst of all, Mark Bunn had sprained a wrist in the final minutes of the semi final and it was unlikely that he would make it. This was hugely disappointing, especially considering how influential he had been throughout the tournament and his double save against Sweden had kept us in it and given us this chance.

Final Score

England 2 – 1 Germany (aet)

*For those interested, I have now reverted to the new save using the retain all players DDT, as such the WCQ Group for England and 2014, has been changed*

June 2012

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

England - Spain

Euro Championships Final

If people had been shocked to see us in the semis, given our pre tournament and early tournament form, they were going to be flabbergasted that we had reached the final. That said, our performance against the Germans had given some of our doubters a kick up the backside and raised belief in the camp. However, Spain were reigning European Champions and should never be underestimated.

Within three minutes Spain had taken the lead. World player of the year (as voted by me) Andres Iniesta splitting our defence in two with a perfectly timed pass into the path of Fernando Torres. Liverpool’s star forward took a touch before sliding it beyond the flailing grasp of Green. Within ten minutes it was two, Cesc Fabregas sliding in at the far post and converting a deep cross from Sergio Ramos.

Spain were all over us and it was like men against boys, but it was our men that were letting us down. Gerard was non-existent, his power and athleticism had waned in the 4 years I’d known him. It was difficult to watch the backbone of your team disintegrate, even if it wasn’t my problem come the referees whistle.

The second half started with a glimmer of hope. Our one and only attack ending in a goal. Scott Sinclair showing his pace as he burst past his marker and down the right wing, getting to the byline and floating a cross over Casillas to Barry at the back post. The hope and belief lasted all over 5 minutes, Spain restoring their two goal lead with a peach of a volley from Vicente, connecting with Arteta’s cross and firing it past Green.

That’s how it ended, a 3-1 defeat, but a tournament that surpassed expectations. Hands were shook, hugs given and pats on the back received. The trip home was relaxed and enjoyable, the welcoming committee excessive. As the celebrations, despite defeat, calmed I decided on my new challenge. To Canada with a view to 2014 and a substantial bonus if we make it..

I wonder if Terry will get his place back?

Final Score

England 1 – 3 Spain

August 2012

Goalkeepers

Pablo Alvarado, Asmir Begovic, Adam Street.

Defenders

Nana Attakora, Derrick Bassi, David Edgar, Dejan Jakovic, Michaël Klukowski, Kevin McKenna, David Ricketts.

Midfielders

Alon Badat, Julian De Guzman, Marcel de Jong, Kyle Hall, Kevin Harmse, Atiba Hutchinson, Will Johnson, Kevin McLellan, Jaime Peters, Robbie Porter, Tyler Rosenlund.

Forwards

Lee Birch, Ali Gerba, Iain Hume, Olivier Occean, Alen Scicluna.

Canada - Honduras

World Cup Qualifiers Second Phase

First things first, the squad was weak, the national pool was weak, a number of players didn’t even have clubs and after a 1-1 draw away, we had to beat Honduras to stand any chance of qualifying for the World Cup. The North American system meant that we had to qualify for a second round group stage, First or second in that group and we would go into a six team group stage, the top three qualifying and fourth place entering a playoff against a South American team. The possibility of nineteen qualification matches, not to mention the Gold Cup in the middle. I was going to be a busy boy.

Honduras might not be a world power, but they were expected to beat us. In Palacios, Suazo and Guevara, they had three players who could control a game, the majority of their squad would be a welcome addition to my team.

I set out my team in the 4-5-1 that had served me so well, initially, with England. The five in midfield made it difficult for Honduras to break us down and the width gave us a chance down either flank. On 33 Olivier Ocean hit the post, the crowd sounded their appreciation, we were playing well. Minutes later Occean missed the post and found the net. A ball into the box, he let it run across his body, before finishing it with his right foot and really giving the crowd something to cheer about. Dejan Jakovic made it 2-0 with a powerful header from a Hutchinson corner; it was no surprise that the two goal scorers and so far top performers were based in Europe.

On 70 minutes McKenna was sent off, for persistent fouling. The crowd whistled as the captain left the pitch, in our time of need, with so much at stake, he had let us down. Down to ten men, we held on for dear life and as the clock ticked down, the Hondurans pushed further forward. Rosenlund clearing one off the line on 88 to maintain our two goal lead, before Palacios’ long range pile driver gave them hope.

The reception from the crowd when the referee called time, was amazing. They were happy, not just because we had qualified for the next round, but because of the football we had played, which in truth had surprised me too. There is hope.

Final Score

Canada 2 – 1 Honduras

*Cheers guys. AB, i've played further than i've written and i've moved to a bigger nation. Hoping to go one big, one small, from now on and hoping to manage all nations available, but that could mean the save runs into the 2100's :D*

September 2012

Goalkeepers

Pablo Alvarado, Asmir Begovic, Adam Street.

Defenders

Nana Attakora, Derrick Bassi, David Edgar, Dejan Jakovic, Michaël Klukowski, Kevin McKenna, David Ricketts.

Midfielders

Alon Badat, Julian De Guzman, Marcel de Jong, Kevin Harmse, Atiba Hutchinson, Will Johnson, Kevin McLellan, Issey Nakajima-Farran, Jaime Peters, Robbie Porter, Tyler Rosenlund.

Forwards

Lee Birch, Ali Gerba, Iain Hume, Olivier Occean, Alen Scicluna.

El Salvador - Canada

World Cup Second Round Qualifying

I had obviously got confused when trying to work out the qualification system for North America, Honduras, the team I thought we had eliminated, were in our third round group!!!! Along with El Salvador and Jamaica. There was no discussing it, we still had to beat them, no matter how confusing it was, but first we had to beat El Salvador and with Jamaica the odds on favourites to claim top spot, it was clear that we would have to claim maximum points, home and away, against the other two, if we were to stand a chance.

Iain Hume’s mazy dribble, into the box, was halted by Alexander Escobar. The referee pointed to the spot and Hume stepped up to fire the penalty into the bottom right hand corner. Eight minutes in and with the lead, we would have our work cut out holding on to such a slender advantage for the next 82 minutes.

We held our own, we had chances to extend the lead, but wayward finishing and shoddy crosses limited any clear cut chances. El Salvador had chances of their own, but suffered from the same problems; their strikers and wingers were largely wasteful throughout. When the final whistle eventually came we had managed to hold on and claim all three points and won the first of four games that we needed to claim at least a point from.

Final Score

El Salvador 0 - 1 Canada

Canada – Jamaica

I’ll keep this short and sweet. Nobody on earth expected my squad of misfits to claim victory against a Jamaican team of professionals, most of whom plied their trade in England. They were odds on favourites to win the group and expected to qualify for the World Cup. Nobody expected us to score two goals.

Will Johnson’s effort, on 25, might have been ruled out for offside, but the fact that we had broken them down and had the chance to score, gave us the confidence. Confidence that saw Johnson twist and turn, down the left wing, Salt Lake’s Johnson leaving the mighty Sunderland’s Nosworthy for dead, floating a well weighted ball into the area and Klukowski bounding in from the edge of the box to smash a bullet header past the keeper.

Nobody, myself included, expected us to win, but win we did and the players could be proud. I was proud of them and the nation were proud of me. This was a big scalp, we now had a cushion, a luxury within our group, we could drop points against El Salvador or Honduras and survive because of this momentous win. Third round, here we come!

Final Score

Canada 1 – 0 Jamaica

October 2012

Goalkeepers

Pablo Alvarado, Asmir Begovic, Lars Hirschfeld.

Defenders

Nana Attakora, Nicholas Baisden, Derrick Bassi, David Edgar, Dejan Jakovic, Michaël Klukowski, Kevin McKenna, David Ricketts.

Midfielders

Alon Badat, Julian De Guzman, Marcel de Jong, Kevin Harmse, Atiba Hutchinson, Will Johnson, Issey Nakajima-Farran, Andrew Ornoch, Jaime Peters, Robbie Porter, Tyler Rosenlund.

Forwards

Lee Birch, Ali Gerba, Iain Hume, Olivier Occean.

Honduras – Canada

Ok, so I made an almighty boob and my first game in charge was actually the first group game of the second qualifying round. Rather than two matches played, we’d actually played three matches and three wins meant nine points and more than a sliver of hope in making it to the next round. A win, in our second game against Honduras, would all but confirm our place in the Third Round.

In the fifth minute we were given a penalty for an innocuous challenge on Occean. The fans still hadn’t forgiven McKenna for his red card in my first game in charge and as his penalty, low to the bottom corner, rippled through the net, there was barely a sound from the visiting supporters.

On 23 it looked like Honduras were going to level. Suazo was played through and the defence were too slow to react, he scooped the ball up over Begovic, but lucky for us it bounced just wide. They finally got their equalizer, four minutes into the second half. More sloppy defending and another through ball had Martinez one on one with Begovic. The big keeper from Middlesbrough stood his ground and parried Martinez’ shot, but Andres Morales was on hand to slide the loose ball into an empty net.

The game petered out and neither side looked like claiming all three points, until a moment of madness from Avila. The centre back hacking down Hume, who was making his way out of the box. McKenna stepped up once more, but this time to a chorus of cheers. Score this and we’d be through, all would be forgiven. McKenna’s cool side footed shot, down the centre of the goal, made sure of our progression and reinstalled his position as a fan favourite.

Final Score

Honduras 1 – 2 Canada

Canada - El Salvador

Having qualified and realised my expectation of 4 games won, we could relax for the final two group stage fixtures. I still couldn’t experiment though, the lack of half decent cover meant that I was almost forced to play the same first eleven, week in, week out. That’s no bad thing, consistency is important, but a loss of form or morale, sweeping through such a thin squad, could be disastrous.

From start to finish, we controlled the game, but it took us over 30 minutes to break the deadlock. Hume’s pass into the centre was controlled by Occean and smashed past the keeper, via the post. Occean hadn’t performed as well as I would have liked and I had toyed with the idea of dropping him, but decided against it, at the last minute.

The second came from Hume, the man I had wanted to move up front. Hutchinson split the El Salvador defence in two, with a pinpoint pass and the Barnsley winger ghosted into the box to slide it past the keeper. Minutes later, despite our dominance, there was cause for concern. A long ball forward, misjudged by the defenders, and Calderon was free to pull one back, lobbing the onrushing Begovic.

However, El Salvador were the makers of their own downfall and minutes before full time Alas stuck out a leg, trying to block Jakovic’s header, but diverting it past the keeper and restoring our two goal advantage.

The result made top spot ours, we had qualified in style, but I still hoped that we could beat Jamaica in the final group game. The third round included Mexico, USA and Costa Rica, teams I didn’t expect us to beat, but we did have a chance of beating Panama and if El Salvador qualified at the expense of Jamaica, we could aim to claim at least 12 points in the third round, which I guessed was just enough to make it through the group and into the World Cup.

Final Score

Canada 3 – 1 El Salvador

November 2012

Goalkeepers

Pablo Alvarado, Asmir Begovic, Lars Hirschfeld.

Defenders

Nana Attakora, Nicholas Baisden, Derrick Bassi, David Edgar, Dejan Jakovic, Michaël Klukowski, Kevin McKenna, David Ricketts.

Midfielders

Alon Badat, Julian De Guzman, Marcel de Jong, Kevin Harmse, Atiba Hutchinson, Will Johnson, Issey Nakajima-Farran, Andrew Ornoch, Jaime Peters, Robbie Porter, Tyler Rosenlund.

Forwards

Lee Birch, Ali Gerba, Iain Hume, Olivier Occean.

Jamaica – Canada

The final Second Round, group game, gave us a chance to limit the teams capable of beating us in the decisive Third Round. A win against Jamaica and a Honduran win against El Salvador, would take ourselves and Honduras into the next round, which was going to be a hell of a lot tougher.

Things didn’t start well and within 15 minutes Jamaica had taken the lead. Mears with a dummy free kick, shaping to send the ball into the box, but sliding it to his left where Nosworthy was waiting to smash a prefect strike into the top corner. It was a sucker punch, not least because the defence shouldn’t have been so easily fooled. However, within three minutes, completely against the run of play, we had leveled the scores. Hume driving into the box, shaping to shoot, the Jamaican defenders fooled as easily as ours had been minutes earlier, cutting back inside and sliding it beyond the keeper with his left peg.

Half time came and went, but by the 56th minute Jamaica had gained a commanding lead. A header from Shelton on a Mears corner and a 6 yard tap in from Doyley after tantalising wing play, down the left, from Hutchinson. On 77 our very own Hutchinson gave us a lifeline, driving home a neat volley from a Klukowski free kick, but it wasn’t enough and Jamaica held on to claim victory.

I prayed to God that this result wouldn’t come back to haunt us. In a cruel twist of fate we would be drawn against Jamaica in our final game of the Third Round and it’s at times like these that you wish your players had done their job. I’d far rather that game was against Honduras.

Final Score

Jamaica 3 – 2 Canada

| Pos   | Team        | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Canada      | 6     | 5     | 0     | 1     | 11    | 6     | +5    | 15    | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   | Jamaica     | 6     | 2     | 1     | 3     | 9     | 9     | 0     | 7     | 
| 3rd   | Honduras    | 6     | 2     | 1     | 3     | 6     | 8     | -2    | 7     | 
| 4th   | El Salvador | 6     | 1     | 2     | 3     | 5     | 8     | -3    | 5     | 

Archived