My final try?

Hey guys,

now, I have started many pointless threads asking for tactics, tactics sets and advise on how to create successful tactics. I even spent a whole day on google searching for FM 09 tactics, and as you would of probably guest, I had no luck!

When it comes down to football manager, I truly suck. I have been playing the FM series since it was called championship manager! and I have never once experienced a successful save. At the game itself, I can play football and I'd like to say that I understand it well enough to build a tactic on FM09. But sadly the answer is no.

So.... I am very apparent of the thread "*official* Best Tactic Thread 9.3", but I don't find it useful as many people say that different tactics work and that their isn't one great tactic, and that they are all good. So I don't know which one to use. But i have used some of them due to pure desperation and I agree that they are good. But after a while they fail they are inconsistent.

so I was wondering if anyone who is interesting in helping a struggling FM user, could either give me a link to a thread which helps build or create tactics (not TT&F- used it and it is good, but somehow didn't work for me). Or a thread that is a consistent tactic. Or even just say a couple words of tactical wisdom?

Please help me enjoy FM!

thanks in advance guys:D

Some users have recommended some tactics, feel free to try them out?

Knap's Tactic

This tactic was submitted by Knap and is tactic which functions on the 'set to' menu. give it a go?

http://www.zshare.net/download/5771760913392e43/

Young Nastyman's Tactic

This tactic was submitted by Young Nastyman and it geos by the same philosphy as Knap's tactic. So do fell free to try this one also?

tactic requirements (by Young Nastyman)

- Center Defender right should be best header.

- Center Midfield right is the play-maker.

- Center Forward left is the target-man.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nz24hdie5yt

The Tylerbode tactics are the best I have used they are very solid maybe lack a few goals but defensively are pretty wicked I would give them ago. Just remember that you dont have to win every game even with the top teams and always give the tactic a fair few games to get going.

If you have struggled with tactics that others have had massive success with, especially if with the same team you are using? then chances are its YOU thats doing something wrong.

It maybe something as simple as bad team talks?

Personally i'd stay away from the "we can win today" teamtalk, both pre match and at HT.

Also stay away from the "Pleased" teamtalk at HT, better to say absolutely nothing.

Hope this helps?

May I suggest a different approach to the game, which I've explained in detail in my thread - FM09 Heathxxx Management Approach (Lower League Edition).

Although I have provided information about the tactic I'm using in my current save, the reason for this is moreso to point out that my preferred approach is to design a sensible tactic to suit the style of play I prefer, then build a squad of players who suit each position by having the right "key" attributes.

It's feasable that this approach to playing FM can work for anyone, so long as they at least have a basic understanding of a particular tactic and which player attributes will suit each role best. Once you can get to grips with that way of playing the game, I find that I rarely need to change much tactically and personally only ever use one "core" tactic rather than sets, then only ever make small changes to things like passing, tempo and time wasting with the sliders.

So in summary, you can use any of the tactics from the forums here, or make your own, but getting the right players to suit the tactic is paramount. Theoretically, you could even use default game tactics with the right players.

Think about it from another perspective...

Would the classic Wimbledon tactics of the late 80's and early 90's work if you tried to apply them to the current Man Utd or Liverpool squad? In reverse, would Man Utd or Liverpool type tactics work with someone like Accrington Stanley or Bognor Regis? The answer in reality is probably not.

The biggest single reason why a tactic you might download from the forums doesn't produce the magical results suggested it's designer, is usually down to the players you have compared to the players they have. In most cases, those of us designing tactics will have a good understanding of the tactic itself and therefore buy or use the appropriate players for each position.

Hope that I've helped given you another way of looking at the game. Whenever I see the reply "it's your tactics" to people who are struggling for whatever reason, I tend to think that it's probably not the tactic... "it's your players". ;)

Hammer1000- I don't currently have a team at the moment as i don't have a save. But I'm usually teams like Porto, Marseille and Sporting.

el sid- I have read this also, and I agree with you to say that this is good, and I will now sound very picky, but I've read the comments and some say good things, but some also say bad things

AcidBurn- I actually haven't use these tactics yet, despite all the good feedback i read. My question is that what happens if you are a rubbish team and are facing a team like Inter or Man U, will you lose badly or is the tactic that good that it may be quite close? and also what happens if the team doesn't have the required players to execute the tactic correctly, for example not having the a strong target man?

thanks for the feedback guys, It really helps. keep it coming!

If you have struggled with tactics that others have had massive success with, especially if with the same team you are using? then chances are its YOU thats doing something wrong.

It maybe something as simple as bad team talks?

Personally i'd stay away from the "we can win today" teamtalk, both pre match and at HT.

Also stay away from the "Pleased" teamtalk at HT, better to say absolutely nothing.

Hope this helps?

Another very good point there Hammer1000 :thup:

When people jump on the "tactics are flawed" bandwagon, they fail to recognise that there's much more that influences the outcome of matches. Player selection, team-talks, media interaction, fitness levels, etc... etc...

There's much more involved than just tactics.

Arguably it depends in how detailed a way you want to play the game, as there's many factors involved which can require some considerable attention to detail - and I'm not just referring to the match engine and how you view it or not, nudge-nudge Hammer1000 :p:D;) (you know I'm having a bit of fun with you there fella!)

heathxxx- thanks for your reply, interesting points, one question though about 'building tactics. I don't know how to create tactics, as in the sense I don't know which things go well together. for example, If I want my team to play wide, I don't know what type of passing style I need to use?

thanks for your reply, really helpful!

Arguably it depends in how detailed a way you want to play the game, as there's many factors involved which can require some considerable attention to detail - and I'm not just referring to the match engine and how you view it or not, nudge-nudge Hammer1000 :p:D;) (you know I'm having a bit of fun with you there fella!)

No problem mate! ;)

123hello - Try Tyler Bode's 4-4-1-1, but like others have said, DO NOT expect to go out and win every match!

heathxxx- thanks for your reply, interesting points, one question though about 'building tactics. I don't know how to create tactics, as in the sense I don't know which things go well together. for example, If I want my team to play wide, I don't know what type of passing style I need to use?

thanks for your reply, really helpful!

If you're not too confident building your own tactics, then obviously it's best to have a look at what other forum users have uploded. I find the better discussions will often feature indications of what types of players suit a particular tactic or style. Obviously given my approach, I've done this in my own thread. You should find this sort of information in posts by other people, if not, then I would hazard a guess that their success may be more luck than judgement.

In particular reference to your example about passing and width, unfortunately there's really no "default" or perfect answer. I have had successful tactics that have used width, but have worked with short, mixed and direct passing. Again, I lean towards what types of players suit the different types of tactics. I also split passing mentalities throughout the team. I may want my defenders to use short "simple" passing, rather than getting into trouble attempting to play Beckham-esque passes to other players and give the ball away if their passing's not to good.

The safest option to start with I believe, is mixed passing, mixed width, mixed tempo. From there you can experiment with the different settings and see how comfortable your players are with each.

The key I'm afraid is understanding why and how a tactic works. Any good tactical post on the forums should explain this. One way to learn is to look at real life teams and try to see if you can interpret this into the game. You suggest in your original post that you have some onderstanding of the real game of football, so try putting that to use. In my younger days, I played semi-professionally for a few years, then at a senior amateur level. I've also had some involvement in coaching to a small extent. Some of the principals I try to apply when building tactics for the game are based on real life understanding and knowledge.

As a follower of Manchester United, in one save or another, I have tried to emulate the kind of tactics that Sir Alex Ferguson employs with his team. As I feel that I know and understand these tactics, I also know what players work best. As an example you may notice from time to time, United like using attacking full-backs. Have you ever noticed that when Patrice Evra is unavailable, United usually use John O'Shea. Clearly he's a different type of players and in my opinion, is never as effective in the role as Patrice Evra.

So, try a few more tactics you see on the forums here and look out for suggested player attributes. SIMPLICITY - How to make a SOLID & SIMPLE 4-4-2 set by crouchaldinho is a very good example of a detailed tactical post with all the right information and a good discussion with further advice. Although I don't use his tactics or settings, I enjoyed reading his thread because he is attempting to simplify understanding of tactics in FM.

Sounds to me like you´re overcomplicating the tactical side of the game. I did the same thing myself in an effort to understand the "gurus" on these boards. Once I deleted all downloaded tactics and forgot all about the advice offerede by many people here, I finally had some success.

To keep it simple I decided to beat the game on its own terms - using default tactics and individual "set to" instructions. All I did was select the default "4-4-2 Attacking" and use the "set to" instructions for all positions. One cm is set to "defensive midfielder" and the other to "attacking midfielder (and assigned as playmaker). One forward is set to "striker" and the other to "targetman" (and assigned as tagetman - but the box isn´t ticked).

So far it´s resulted in the best run of results in any of my games since CM 2 (Spain 95), and in two different saves (Liverpool and Fiorentina) I have a total of 2 lossses (both cup games) in some forty or fifty matches.

Hammer1000- Thanks for your reply, I will try this, but just a quick question, what happens if I do not have the required players to perform the tactic??

Depending on what team your going to be, you should find that you have the core of players required for a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1?

You dont have to have "perfect" players for each position to start with.

No matter what tactic or formation i use, i will usually look for the following player types...

GK - Any

FB's - Some pace if possible, but also decent defensive attributes and crossing stats

DC's - Good defensive attributes, pace if possible but since the new patch not a priority

Midfield - Box to box if possible, some defensive attributes as well as passing etc

Wingers - Decent dribbling and crossing, plus pace if possible.

AMC - Dribbling, Creativity etc

STR - Either pace, finishing and dribbling, or strong, jumping finishing.

Depending on what level of success you hope to achieve, you do not have to have players with perfect stats for each position.

heathxxx- great advice their mate, I will have another read of crouchaldinho's thread.

Young Nastyman- Interesting point their, One question, Does that system work better than other tactics on this forum?

Hammer1000- Thanks for replying mate, and I will use your advice and maybe give Tylerbode's tactic a try?

Keep the advice coming guys, It's really appreciated!

Sounds to me like you´re overcomplicating the tactical side of the game. I did the same thing myself in an effort to understand the "gurus" on these boards. Once I deleted all downloaded tactics and forgot all about the advice offerede by many people here, I finally had some success.

To keep it simple I decided to beat the game on its own terms - using default tactics and individual "set to" instructions. All I did was select the default "4-4-2 Attacking" and use the "set to" instructions for all positions. One cm is set to "defensive midfielder" and the other to "attacking midfielder (and assigned as playmaker). One forward is set to "striker" and the other to "targetman" (and assigned as tagetman - but the box isn´t ticked).

So far it´s resulted in the best run of results in any of my games since CM 2 (Spain 95), and in two different saves (Liverpool and Fiorentina) I have a total of 2 lossses (both cup games) in some forty or fifty matches.

You're approach is actually quite a good way for people who are struggling with tactics, or to understand the "gurus", to get to understand how tactics work in the game. Many people seem to forget that the default tactics are there and keep looking for a "super" tactic, which simply does not exist.

With your approach in mind, do you then look for the players most suitable to each position though? I imagine you must do given the success you seem to be having. This therefore highlights my thoughts that building a team around tactics rather than trying to shoehorn a tactic around a squad of unsuitable players, is a much easier way to play FM. :thup:

I´m in 2015 so I´ve made quite a few transfers - only Gerrard, Torres and Insúa still play for the club...

... and yes the table is looking rather good :D

Current squad: squadr.th.jpg

I use a 433 formation but like you use the set to on each player and this has been the best results for me after trying to use my own settings on each player.

By the way thats one hell of a squad with Messi,Aguero and Gerrard,Torres already at the club

Yeah a tycoon bought the club in 09 and boosted the transferbudget to 200 M. :) A lot of good players have been through the club since.

How´s the 4-3-3 working? And how do you set up the midfielders?

I am in season 3 with Newcastle and have won the league and the league cup i am also in the final of champions league and fa cup so its working very well.

I use the central of the 3 midfielders as the defensive and the other two as attacking

nufcsquad3rdseason.jpg

nufcleaguetable3rdseaso.jpg

Fantastic work Young Nastyman, have you thought about publishing it in the main forum???

Let´s see if it works for anyone else first ;)

Publishing it in the main forum will most likely result in a lot of questions and/or abuse, which I don´t really want to spend my time on. I´m by no means a tactical know-it-all, and if this tactic doesn´t work for someone, I won´t be able to figure out why - so my answer to all questions will be "buy better players" :D

I won all 4 cups but only won fa cup on pens.

Young Nastyman is Messi worth £35.5m as he is interested in coming and he has that as his buyout clause i would play him as a attacking midfielder not a winger like you.

I won all 4 cups but only won fa cup on pens.

Young Nastyman is Messi worth £35.5m as he is interested in coming and he has that as his buyout clause i would play him as a attacking midfielder not a winger like you.

I´ve use him as mc playmaker aswell, and he´s done a terrific job getting quite a few goals and assist. It´s the first time on any FM I´ve bought a player of his calibre, and I think he´s worth every penny - especially when he scores one of his trademark goals after skinning 4 or 5 opponents :)

Let´s see if it works for anyone else first ;)

Publishing it in the main forum will most likely result in a lot of questions and/or abuse, which I don´t really want to spend my time on. I´m by no means a tactical know-it-all, and if this tactic doesn´t work for someone, I won´t be able to figure out why - so my answer to all questions will be "buy better players" :D

Fair enough :DYoung Nastyman, do you want me to publish the tactic in the opening post??

Knap- thanks for replying:thup:, i used it against ajax and had krajncar at Mc, and at play-maker and I found that they kept losing the ball and that it was to rushed. But your reply explained why that happens and I will try again without a play-maker. Also would you to, like me to publish the tactic in the opening post??

Keep the advice and discussion coming in guys, really appreciated

It would be interesting to see how those that use a "set to" tactic perform in the game with their teams. With a top table team the tactic should work fine but with a mid table team it may need to be tweaked to reduce forward runs for away games etc and may need a SUS tactic.

Edit the opening post and see how it turns out. The corners are tweaked on mine.

With the 433 working as well, then plenty of scope with these.

It would be interesting to see how those that use a "set to" tactic perform in the game with their teams. With a top table team the tactic should work fine but with a mid table team it may need to be tweaked to reduce forward runs for away games etc and may need a SUS tactic.

Edit the opening post and see how it turns out. The corners are tweaked on mine.

With the 433 working as well, then plenty of scope with these.

I'll add yout tactic to the opening post Knap, great work mate, really appreciate it!:D:D

I´ve use him as mc playmaker aswell, and he´s done a terrific job getting quite a few goals and assist. It´s the first time on any FM I´ve bought a player of his calibre, and I think he´s worth every penny - especially when he scores one of his trademark goals after skinning 4 or 5 opponents :)

I have just bought him and quite a few other players so hopefully he will do a great job i might as well be the Argentina Manager as i have loads of Argies in my squad.

Lets see if i can win all 6 trophies this year as my squad is strong or will fm figure out a way to stop the set to tactics

:D

Have you tried it yet?

no, haven't got round to it yet. What I'm aiming to do is to understand how tactics work, and build my own successful and consistent so that i get a sense of accomplishment.

Then I will start to use others

no, haven't got round to it yet. What I'm aiming to do is to understand how tactics work, and build my own successful and consistent so that i get a sense of accomplishment.

Then I will start to use others

Good luck :thup:

I´ve done a small holiday test with Fulham and Newcastle to try the tactic with lesser teams, and as Knap pointed out these clubs will struggle away from home. Overall though both teams did better than expected, with Fulham in 13th and Newcastle in 5th position after 20 games.

Archived