Why the hell does confidence go back to 50% at the beginning of every season?

Regardless of your achievements?

Utterly stupid to have every manager treated exactly the same in that respect. Sure it's a new season, and good feeling may wear off after a promotion or a league win, but basically starting afresh every season?

I have noticed that the confidence bars in the 'Competitions', 'Matches', 'Signings' and 'Players' sections resetting to 50% with each new season, but does that not make sense? Those confidence bars captures your performance over that particular season and therefore previous achievements should indeed have no bearing on them.

What I found is the three bars in the 'Other' section, namely 'Club Stature', 'Wages' and 'Squad Harmony' carry over from past seasons. So if you have been leading your club to glory over the years, your 'Club Stature' confidence would reflect that going into a new season. Similarly with a proper wage structure and good squad harmony observed throughout your reign.

Seeing as I have won a few silverware yearly with my club, I usually start each season with around 60% confidence. Maybe 'Club Stature' could be given more weightage in the overall confidence equation to reflect your outstanding contribution to the club, but the current system of resetting most of the confidence bars for each season is working fine, in my opinion.

Yes, but 50%? Take Roy Keane: He knew that he had a job to do, but if you'd have asked any Sunderland fan, or Niall Quinn, the Chairman, whether they wanted to sack him in December after a relatively poor start, they'd have (in the main) said no, because they understand that it's a marathon not a sprint.

I can understand it with new managers, but I think most people are aware of the bigger picture, and don't just go back to a neutral stance onw hether a guy is good for the club or not at the beginning of each season?

I think it should definitely depend more on the club and the fan expectations, and have variations accordingly. I remember the CM97-98 editor had a section for 'fan pressure' or something. Bring that back imo.

Well I understand where you are coming from, but I think SI meant the confidence indicators as more of a reflection of how you are performing in a particular season, not across your entire duration with the club. That is why most of the confidence bars reset to a neutral 50% each season.

As for what could be a more user-friendly system, there could be an expansion of the 'Other' section of the board confidence to include more confidence indicators, like a fans' counterpart to the board's 'Club Stature' indicator to reflect the fans' views of your accumulated performances over the years.

There could also be an indicator to reflect the amount of outstanding signings you have made whilst at the club. How that might work could be according to the number of signings you have made that end up on the Club's Favoured Personnel screen. The more players are lauded by the fans, the greater the percentage on the indicator, and this indicator does not reset with each new season.

What I don't like is that, after a very good season, I can suddenly be an "under-pressure" manager as soon as the new season starts. That's before a ball's even been kicked. It makes you feel that your job isn't especially safe, which isn't right. If you've built history with a club and done a good job, your job should be pretty secure until things actually start to go wrong.

What I don't like is that, after a very good season, I can suddenly be an "under-pressure" manager as soon as the new season starts. That's before a ball's even been kicked. It makes you feel that your job isn't especially safe, which isn't right. If you've built history with a club and done a good job, your job should be pretty secure until things actually start to go wrong.

There was some kind of a bug with the "under-pressure" description right? Wonder if it had been fixed with 9.3.0. But I do think it is not linked to confidence as I saw myself tagged with the "under-pressure" description during pre-season too and I was enjoying a 65-70% confidence with the board then.

There was some kind of a bug with the "under-pressure" description right? Wonder if it had been fixed with 9.3.0. But I do think it is not linked to confidence as I saw myself tagged with the "under-pressure" description during pre-season too and I was enjoying a 65-70% confidence with the board then.

Maybe we should start thinking outside the box;)

Maybe that simply means that the manager is "under pressure" to continue the success of last season.

Just my opinion

Maybe we should start thinking outside the box;)

Maybe that simply means that the manager is "under pressure" to continue the success of last season.

Just my opinion

I would share that view if one had lost some pre-season friendlies.

If like what Mike mentioned, he had received that description before a single ball was kicked, that would seem to indicate an incorrect coding somewhere. After all, no one claimed Fergie was under-pressure during this season's pre-season tour right? Even after all that success he had with Man Utd last year. :)

Still, this issue is quite different to that which Argel had raised in this thread.

Not really. It's all part of the same grand problem really.

I'd like to see confidence dwindle or pick up depending on your off-season movements. If you buy a big name player, it can reinforce your standing at the club, whilst also increasing expectations of the club in the upcoming season. On the other hand, not making much progress in the summer could be interpreted as inability to attract players.

Having said that, knowing the way SI have implemented things like that in the past, we might find that the game's version of an important signing is completely different to any logical definition.

I think a very good point has been raised here, fair enough if a new manager takes over or in the previous season the manager done what was expected of him I could understand it being at 50%......but what about teams who have under/over achieved in the previous season or players had a good/bad season?

Good point Argel.

Not really. It's all part of the same grand problem really.

I'd like to see confidence dwindle or pick up depending on your off-season movements. If you buy a big name player, it can reinforce your standing at the club, whilst also increasing expectations of the club in the upcoming season. On the other hand, not making much progress in the summer could be interpreted as inability to attract players.

Having said that, knowing the way SI have implemented things like that in the past, we might find that the game's version of an important signing is completely different to any logical definition.

Hopefully if they did introduce something like that, they'd make the position of the player have some significance too, rather than just reputation. For example, you have 4 excellent strikers but your right-winger has been underperforming for a while. Buying another excellent striker shouldn't increase your confidence/popularity unless its one that's far too good for your club (for example, IRL I wouldn't want Spurs to sign another striker this summer unless the opportunity to get David Villa or somebody came along).

I actually like the way the confidence bars are reset each season, as the confidence bars stand now (i.e. relating to the season you are in)

What I would like to see is some additional confidence bars that relate to your career, including career objectives met/not met and good/poor signings.

How great would it be after 10 years to see "The fans are still happy with the European cup win 5 years ago!"

I actually like the way the confidence bars are reset each season, as the confidence bars stand now (i.e. relating to the season you are in)

What I would like to see is some additional confidence bars that relate to your career, including career objectives met/not met and good/poor signings.

How great would it be after 10 years to see "The fans are still happy with the European cup win 5 years ago!"

Good idea. Your general job security could be some combination of the two, so you could build up some credit over your career to allow for a poor run of form or a season below expectations.

The message that the board would look to see you do slightly better in your role a few months after winning an unexpected promotion is extremely annoying.

Interesting, a Mod pointed to this thread, but none of them has actually replied?!

What I want to know is has anyone been under pressure/sacked despite having a great season last year?

I havn't finished my first season yet, and it's not looking like a good season so far!

I came very very close, which was why I made the thread.

With Atletico Tucuman in Argentina's second division, I exceeded expectations of a respectable league position, eventually finishing 3rd and losing in the promotion playoffs.

The year after, I'm expected to get promotion (which is fair, as I'd clearly proved that it was possible), but the confidence was back to 50%, and club stature 54%, despite overachieving massively the season before.

I then started the season poorly, lying 11th after 8 games, at which point my position became very insecure. Only due to a 7 match winning streak did I maintain my job, but it's worrying that I was ever in that position when you consider the progress that the club had made under my tenure.

I'm not asking to be untouchable by any means, and if it was the same situation in December, I'd expect the club to take action, but to just be almost out of the door seems insane.

Interesting, a Mod pointed to this thread, but none of them has actually replied?!
Your point being...?

Mods do not know everything about the game, nor do they claim to. One thing they DO do is to try and keep discussion of a single topic confined to as few threads as possible, which would be why the mod you're on about would be directing people to this thread - in the case of a problem having no conclusion (as you're claiming here), it's still better to have everyone brainstorming in one thread than each doing their own investigations in their own threads, then claiming their findings as fact/proof/whatever even if it contradicts what other people have found in other investigations in other threads...look at the claims of an injury bug, for instance - some people are claiming it exists because they're getting 5+ injuries in a short space of time or losing several key players to long-term injuries (just bad luck, or bad tactics, if you ask me), whereas myself and several others are finding there to be no bug. Even with PaulC saying that he has yet to see a 9.3 saved game where the EPL injury table was significantly larger than the EPL physioroom one, there are still people (even further down in that thread) who insist (without pictorial evidence, mind you) that there is a bug.

Your point being...?

Mods do not know everything about the game, nor do they claim to. One thing they DO do is to try and keep discussion of a single topic confined to as few threads as possible...

you mean like how you just wandered in here talking about a completelys eperate issue?

Well played. Bye.

When it comes to confidence, I have one overriding issue with it resetting to 50%. Basically, by doing this, it detracts from the continuity of football. In real life, memories aren't wiped at the end of every season. Now obviously the game has to go through an update or whatever you want to call when it moves from one season to another, but this shouldn't mean that things need resetting. Confidence should have continuity from one season to another.

The overall confidence does not actually reset to 50%. Confidence based on Club stature is continuous.

First half wrong, second half right, but club stature doesn't seem to count for a great deal.

One other thing: My board were still howling about a 1-0 away defeat that occured a full 4 months beforehand, purely because of pre-season. The game is too literal as far as confidence I reckon. Bases far too much on stats, not takking into account how football fans think.

The overall confidence does not actually reset to 50%. Confidence based on Club stature is continuous.
First half wrong, second half right, but club stature doesn't seem to count for a great deal.

One other thing: My board were still howling about a 1-0 away defeat that occured a full 4 months beforehand, purely because of pre-season. The game is too literal as far as confidence I reckon. Bases far too much on stats, not takking into account how football fans think.

Actually, he is not wrong Argel. I said the same thing in my post way up. Only the confidence indicators in the 'Competitions', 'Matches', 'Signings' and 'Players' sections reset to 50% with the start of each new season. 'Club Stature', 'Wages' and 'Squad Harmony' indicators provide continuity from season to season. As such, the overall confidence indicator does not automatically reset to 50% unless your 'Club Stature', 'Wages' and 'Squad Harmony indicators are low or hovering at 50% themselves.

This is my fourth season with my club and for the past three seasons I have started each season at around 60-70% confidence, due to me having very high 'Club Stature', 'Wages' and 'Squad Harmony indicators.

However, I had agreed that more indicators are needed to provide us with a feeling that our contributions are lasting and appreciated. There is definitely scope for improvement in this area. That as CP had put it, How great would it be after 10 years to see "The fans are still happy with the European cup win 5 years ago!" Something like what Arsene Wenger is afforded at Arsenal where the board trusts him due to his overwhelming success in his earlier years.

Except that IIRC SI did admit it was a bug introduced in patch 9.2.0. Has it been fixed?

Yeah I remembered that it had nothing to do with board confidence, and am wondering if it has been fixed as well. Hopefully it has been! :)

Take the Gimnasia (LP) job at the end of the season after they achieve promotion. A week later, zero games played, literally it's the post-season:

49%

'The board feel you should be performing slightly better...'

Utterly moronic. I'd be literally embarassed to put out a game that fails so spectacularly at such a basic level.

Archived