FM 2009: Aberdeen Football Club

megafan2005

The Dons

AberdeenCrest1.gif

Aberdeen Football Club (also known as The Dons, The Reds and The Dandies) is a Scottish professional football club based in Aberdeen. They compete in the Scottish Premier League and are one of the most successful teams in their country, having won four league titles and seven Scottish Cups, including a record three in a row during the 1980s, the only time a team has done this outside of the Old Firm in over 100 years. They are also the only Scottish team to have won two European trophies, both in the same year. Despite competing in the Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cup finals, both in 2000, they have not won any silverware since 1995.

[source: Wikipedia]

1 GK Jamie Langfield

2 DF Charlie Mulgrew

3 MF Richard Foster

4 MF Gary McDonald

5 DF Alexander Diamond (vice-captain)

6 MF Scott Severin (captain)

7 MF Jamie Smith

8 MF Mark Kerr

9 FW Lee Miller

10 FW Darren Mackie

11 FW Tommy Wright

14 MF Derek Young

15 DF Jared Hodgkiss (on loan from West Brom)

16 MF Stuart Duff

17 MF Jeffrey de Visscher

18 DF Lee Mair

19 FW Chris Maguire

20 GK Bertrand Bossu

21 DF Andrew Considine

22 FW Sone Aluko

23 MF Sammy Stewart

25 DF Stuart Smith

26 MF Peter Pawlett

27 DF Jonathan Crawford

28 DF Stirling Smith

30 GK John Bateman

Squad Analysis

This is an overall analysis of the squad from my point of view.

The players you start with, with the exception of a select few, are generally not good enough for Aberdeen. They do, however, have decent reputations and will help you generate a decent war-chest.

Goalkeepers:

Jamie Langfield is the first choice, but I do not consider him to be good enough for your Aberdeen side and as he can generate a large amount of transfer money you should sell him as soon as possible.

Bertrand Bossu, as in real life, is terrible. He would be a decent 4th Division Amateurs keeper. Off-load to whichever mug will take him. I you can.

Youth players to watch

Jon Bateman is a promising young keeper. He has the potential to become as good as Langfield. It’s worth keeping Bateman as he will fill one of the u21 slots in your first team squad

Right Backs:

Jared Hodgkiss (on-loan from WBA) is your first choice right-back. He will do a decent job for you but I would bring in a stronger and longer term option. Out-of-contract with West Brom in the summer he will sign for you on a Bosman if you want him.

Youth players to watch

Jonathan Crawford – Right-back who can become a good SPL player

Left Backs:

Charlie Mulgrew should be your left-back. As you will see, he will be on the fringes of the Scotland squad from the start. Can also hit a mean free-kick, so will get you at least half-a-dozen goals per season.

0,,10284~3754649,00.jpg

Charlie Mulgrew

Richard Foster is a decent back up for either left-back or wide midfield. Probably worth keeping as a squad player as he will not generate very much money if you sell him

Youth players to watch:

Stuart Smith – Good potential and will become as good as Mulgrew

Centre Backs:

Zander Diamond is a solid centre-back. He will attract transfer interest from the start but you should try to keep him.

0,,10284~3754687,00.jpg

Zander Diamond

Andrew Considine has the potential to be a good SPL centre-back in a couple of season’s time. Send him out on loan for Season 1 and see how he develops.

Lee Mair should be sold off as he’s not AFC standard. Thankfully you can bring in close to half-a-million for Mair, and this will allow you to bring in a good quality partner for Diamond.

Youth players to watch:

Rogvi Holm – Has potential to be as good as Diamond

Central Midfielders:

Mark Kerr is an FM-series legend. Unfortunately, his real career has not replicated his CM01/02 one. Keep him as back-up, maybe until the end of the season.

Scott Severin starts off as club captain and top wage-earner but is, as in real-life, disappointing. He’ll net you a fair fee when you sell him. Use this cash to bring in a defensive midfielder and also a more offensive one.

Gary McDonald will not be a fixture in your eleven. A new signing so will be difficult to shift. Will probably languish in your reserves until January and then try to move him on.

Stuart Duff is not worth a first-team berth so try to sell him. I sold him to Rangers for £400k in my first game.

Youth players to watch:

Nicky Clark – Potential to become a leading SPL central-midfielder

Ryan Jack – Could become a leading SPL midfielder in the future

Wide Midfielders:

Jamie Smith is a decent right-winger, he’s good enough for a team with ambitions to finish top-six, but not of sufficient standard for a team hoping to challenge for trophies. Smith is also very injury prone and you should move him on.

Sone Aluko is your best left-winger at the start. He’s still young, and has plenty time to develop, but will be a decent option for you on the left.

Jeffrey De Visscher is, at best, a back-up right-winger. You can bring in around £150k for the Dutchman, I recommend that you sell him

Derek Young should be sold to whoever will take him.

Youth players to watch:

Peter Pawlett – Can become a leading SPL right-midfielder

Strikers:

Lee Miller is a good standard striker for the SPL. He should be good for around 20 goals per season. Will also be on the fringes of the Scotland squad, and you may have to see off some interest from English clubs.

0,,10284~3754680,00.jpg

Lee Miller

Darren Mackie will not be worthy of a spot in your team. Amazingly, he will command around £800k from unsuspecting buyers. Use this money to strengthen your squad.

Chris Maguire may be worth keeping. He can develop into a leading SPL striker. However, he will get you around £450k at the start and you can put this money to good use by bringing in a finished article from the continent.

Tommy Wright will be no more than a back-up striker for your team. Depending on how your dealings go you may want to move him on in January.

Youth players to watch:

Callum McRobbie – A striker with potential to become a leading SPL player

Final Analysis

This side will need improvement if it’s to be strong enough to fulfill the Media Prediction of 3rd place.

Over the first couple of seasons, your goal should be to make league finishes of 3rd or 4th, perhaps even have a wee bonus of winning of a Cup your goal. In seasons 3 and onwards, your young players should have improved sufficiently to make a real push to split the Old Firm’s dominance.

Success on the pitch will also see your stadium almost full to capacity most weeks. In around the 3rd or 4th season you may be in a position to expand the stadium to around 25,000.

Hopefully this will give you a good starting point for your career as Aberdeen manager.

Courtesy of Cadijk van Kaarhandel

STAND FREE

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quick update on how i'm getting on........

9 league games played - 7 won 1 draw (against Rangers) 1 loss (away to Celtic)

Through to the quarter final of the league cup.

Rafael was looking a quality player and was keeping Hodgkiss out of the team, his loan was only for 3 months though and he is away back to Utd, tried to extend the loan but no joy.

Signed Craigan from Motherwell for 120k on transfer deadline day, he has slotted in next to Diamond brilliantly - only Celtic have scored against me in the last 5 games.

Sitting pretty at the top of the league but after the celtic defeat the gap is down to 1 point.

Trying to draft in another free agent midfielder due to an injury to my back up, Duff. Nobody wants to come though :(

anyone been playing Gary MacDonald - is he any use?

i am using an old downloaded tactic from FM08 - it's called MM 4-4-2, working a treat.

Yeah, i kept Mackie and Langfield - Langfield is looking quite assured in goal, although the defence of Rafael, Diamond, Craigan and Insua must help.

transfer window is closed so can only bring in unattached players just now, but not having much luck. should be alright as long as Kerr or Seve don't get injured.

Thats me off and running.

Had a clear out. Severin (800k), Jamie Smith (500k), Mackie (750k), Mair (500k). Best of all was big-spending Man City *****ing £1.1million on Langfield :)

So i brought in Don Cowie, Stephen Craigan, Paddy Cregg, Jason Brown (Blackburn, loan GK) and some Spanish striker that does back-flips when he scores. Oh, and Robbie Fowler on loan when Lee Miller got injured.

Spanish boy was found by Jimmy Nick when i told him to scout for loan strikers. They were only wanting 60k for him so i snapped him up.

Sitting 7th after 6 games. Chris Maguire has been bangin 'em in like, 7 in his 1st 5 games.

Haven't got the game yet but I played all the way to December in the demo and was sitting pretty at the top of the SPL.

Loans in:

Phil Bardlsey (Sunderland)

Michael Chopra (Sunderland)

Iain Turner (Everton)

Walter Lopez (West Ham)

Kelvin Etuhu (Man City)

Gabriel Zakuauni (Fulham)

Transfers in:

Tommy Spurr (Sheff Wed, £150k)

Gary Mackay-Steven (Liverpool, free)

Rúben Palazuelos (Hearts, £140k)

Transfers out:

Bertrand Bossu (released)

Darren Mackie (Preston, £350k)

Derek Young (Peterborough, £110k)

18 games played, 13 wins, 4 draws, 1 loss. 43 points.

Actually might continue this one in the full game. Spurr is outstanding by the way.

Is anyone playing Severin in defence? Mair in midfield? Foster at right-back?

Or is it just the real-life idiot that does that?

I sat at Easter Road for the whole 90 minutes today and coming out of that game I still couldn't work out what actual position Richard Foster was playing. :/

Sorry Evil but they're not up to much. You're not trying to sabotage oor game are ye? ;)

I also signed the boy Touail from Killie. Nae a bad AMC.

Touail is class. Ive seen him play twice already this season. He is quick, good passer of the ball and seems very creative.

Richard Offiong is good in real life but ive not seen his stats in game can someone tell me his and Mehmets?

Hey, keep them all if you like but you'll not win leagues with that lot :)

(PS....Evil Scotsman, Edit your Post there please? No need to quote the entirity of my previous one. Could you? Cheers)

CB - Stephen Craigan - Motherwell - 110k

DMC - Paddy Cregg - Falkirk - 500k

AMRC - Don Cowie - ICT - 350k

AMC - Mehdi Taouil - Killie - 400k

SC - David Aganzo - Rayo Vallecano - 60k (Backup for Miller and Maguire)

Then on loan i've taken

GK - Jason Brown - Blackburn (better than Langfield)

RB - Marciano van Homoiet - Barnsley (as good as Hodgkiss)

MC - Rodrigo Possebon - Man Utd - Class

D/ML - Sjaak Polak - BV Vendeem - Backup for Mulgrew/Aluko

Coming in on Bosmans at the end of the season:

AMC - David Noble - Bristol City - "Decent signing for SPL"

AMC - Alex Marrow - Blackburn reserves - "Potential to be good SPL midfielder"

DR - Jared Hodgkiss - WBA reserves - See above

DC - Brian McLean - Motherwell - Competition for Diamond/Craigan

Archived