Squad Management - Ideas / Spreadsheet

Hi All,

I don't see this discussed that much so I just wanted to introduce on how I manage things, so first up what I do for all my squads is create two tiers of filters of attributes, you can call this my club DNA if you like (and I openly admit I got some of these ideas from Rashidi) the ones in yellow are essential for all outfield players, the ones in blue mean they can't be trained so I try to get players in with high values here, now I know it's a lot of attributes but I am playing with Vasco, if this was a lesser team I would alter this each time but the DNA (yellow) remains the same but the list would become shorter. What this does is mean instantly you can look at your squad and start culling people but more importantly it informs training & recruitment:

0Pfg6R.jpg

I then produce my squad sheet for the season, for this I base it one player per role to make it simple but essentially this let's me have a very easy overview of where I need to invest or where we are over subscribed and means I can manage my squad size easily, I think we have all been guilty of having an hugely inflated squad. So for me, green = TOP TALENT , amber = decent prospect/better than average (potentially).

This is my sheet for the coming season:

Z8eM1f.jpg

I am currently playing with a 442 (2 DM's) hence no AMC filled out however as you can see I have some issues at AMR / AML in that on one side I am over subscribed and on the other I have three superstars, Rojas has been awesome so I could sell him and focus on Leo & Kouame but it's stuff like this which is so easy to spot doing it this way.

I then manage how many minutes my youngsters get by capturing 'minutes' in the game as you can see below, it enables me to easily see who needs a few games, it's so useful:

VK2mX1.jpg

I'd love to hear how others manage this.

Incidentally, you can follow my updates on this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/453989-The-journals-of-hampus-widgren/page3

Cheers,

Lee

The games missed column is also a handy one to use, you might also want to consider adding some of the hidden attributes to the list as it helps in identifying those who will be happy/unhappy at being on the fringes of the first team.

I play as Liverpool so I generally get a lot of matches in each season, so my usual practice is to decide on my formation and then make sure I have 2 players in my first team for every position. I then decide on two 11s, one of all the best players in their positions and one which usually has younger/older players. Then I rotate the two squads each match. Usually playing the stronger 11 in the league matches and weaker 11 in cup games. Every player in my u21 squad who has homegrown status get loaned out, but I keep hold of a few, usually a defender, midfielder and forward so if I get any injuries to my main group of 22 players, I have replacements I can call up. If someone from the strong 11 gets injured, his corresponding player in the weaker 11 takes his place and the u21 player moves up to the weaker team.

It helps to have a few players who can play in multiple positions, but this is how I've always played FM.

I play as Liverpool so I generally get a lot of matches in each season, so my usual practice is to decide on my formation and then make sure I have 2 players in my first team for every position. I then decide on two 11s, one of all the best players in their positions and one which usually has younger/older players. Then I rotate the two squads each match. Usually playing the stronger 11 in the league matches and weaker 11 in cup games. Every player in my u21 squad who has homegrown status get loaned out, but I keep hold of a few, usually a defender, midfielder and forward so if I get any injuries to my main group of 22 players, I have replacements I can call up. If someone from the strong 11 gets injured, his corresponding player in the weaker 11 takes his place and the u21 player moves up to the weaker team.

It helps to have a few players who can play in multiple positions, but this is how I've always played FM.

Thanks for your reply :)

No, can be a nightmare to manage the personalities of you do not go far in the cups. I favour a squad that has more versatile players & will plan my match selections for at least the next 3 or 4 matches when the schedule gets busy.

No, can be a nightmare to manage the personalities of you do not go far in the cups. I favour a squad that has more versatile players & will plan my match selections for at least the next 3 or 4 matches when the schedule gets busy.

Based on that, I run 11 first teamers/rotation options and 11 youth prospects. Even as Manchester United or whatever, less issues to deal with in a way.

Anyone else do anything similar?

I used to try and organize this in an Excel spreadsheet but then I discovered the power of notes within the game and nicknames. So I will actually label the players with the position they are primary for and what depth they are. So I will add a nickname to Ronaldo set to "11.1 Ronaldo" (Left Wing/Left Midfield .1 is starter.. all based on the 4-3-3 numbering system). I re-evaluate the squad twice a year to adjust if needed and that is also the time I check training schedules. Generally I've identified a position to train each person in that works my Club DNA (yes I stole it from Rashidi too!) and any gaps I need to fill with individual training. I focus on getting the core DNA attributes to a standard before I focus on other areas to round out the player. This is also very helpful when you are trying to develop or recruit tutors for youth players. I generally evaluate a youth player and in this case I might have them labelled as "11.3 Komen" and have them get tutored by "11.1 Ronaldo" because he has the PPMs I desire for that position (with some tweaks here and there depending on the player). The nice thing is that you can use this to SORT players using the in game views and see where your gaps might be for recruiting or who might need to go out on loan and quickly compare all the 11's you have across your squads.

I used to try and organize this in an Excel spreadsheet but then I discovered the power of notes within the game and nicknames. So I will actually label the players with the position they are primary for and what depth they are. So I will add a nickname to Ronaldo set to "11.1 Ronaldo" (Left Wing/Left Midfield .1 is starter.. all based on the 4-3-3 numbering system). I re-evaluate the squad twice a year to adjust if needed and that is also the time I check training schedules. Generally I've identified a position to train each person in that works my Club DNA (yes I stole it from Rashidi too!) and any gaps I need to fill with individual training. I focus on getting the core DNA attributes to a standard before I focus on other areas to round out the player. This is also very helpful when you are trying to develop or recruit tutors for youth players. I generally evaluate a youth player and in this case I might have them labelled as "11.3 Komen" and have them get tutored by "11.1 Ronaldo" because he has the PPMs I desire for that position (with some tweaks here and there depending on the player). The nice thing is that you can use this to SORT players using the in game views and see where your gaps might be for recruiting or who might need to go out on loan and quickly compare all the 11's you have across your squads.

What a FANTASTIC idea, may have to try this, so are you very strict then, in that you'll have one player per role?

For you, what do you class as core attributes? A screenshot would be lovely if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks for the idea :)

So I've been messing around with many philosophies lately really trying to learn the match engine and how it relates to players themselves and development. I get tactics and this site has done wonders for improving my tactical knowledge of the game (and frankly the real game too!). Where I'm at in my learning curve is understanding how different players with different attributes can influence a style and tactical system. So first thing first.. My Football Manager "tactical style" is heavily influenced by two people (Rashidi and Guido (Strikerless). So Rashidi influences how I think about a core system and the players that fit into that system.. so giving him total credit -> here is my ClubDNA I was using to test a tactical theory..

frZn9K.jpg

Totally created a club and hand picked the players based on core attributes. The core of my ClubDNA is Aggression, Bravery, Natural Fitness, Teamwork, and Work Rate. I don't even take any youth unless they have at least 12 in those 5 attributes (keepers are the only exception obviously). From there I have identified types of players that fit my tactical style. When I talk about the 4-3-3 numbering system I'm really talking about a player type not necessarily a role and this is where Guido has influence my tactical systems. I have loved his development of unique player types within the game and so I've stolen them, identified the core attributes for players to fill those roles and then added my ClubDNA on top of that to build a template for each player type within my tactical framework. So for example:

#10 - My creative attacking player.. Dribbling, Vision, Acceleration, First Touch, Technique, Flair, Passing, Finishing, Anticipation, Composure, Decisions.. Tries Killer Balls Often, Plays One-Twos, Arrives late into the Opponent's Area. You know these players.. they are the flash and highlight reels: Hazard, Di Maria, Iniesta. Generally this is my Central Winger to steal Guido's construct.

sirE4z.jpg

But depending on the tactical system I'm using for a particular match they could be in the AMC or CM position and could be in the CM-Atk or AP-Su or AP-Atk role. But notice there is no Hazard or Iniesta in the team.. because they don't have the core ClubDNA to play that role for my club. I'm running 3 tactical systems right now:

1. 2-3-5 Pep vs. Getafe influenced Control/Possession
  2. 3-5-2 Conti Italy vs Belguim Euro 2016 inspired Counter Attacking
  3. 4-2-4 Counter 4 Horseman system stolen from Guido and tweaked just a bit

So to continue with that idea.. I could have a #9 type player filling a typical striker role (although I don't play much with strikers anymore) or more typically these are my SS-AT players. I'll take a #8 box to box type midfielder and put them in that box to box position (in the Conti system they are smack dab in the BBM-Su CM role), but sometimes I'll play them higher up the pitch in the AMC-Su role and use them as my Withdrawn Targetman (another Guido construct). So my player selection and development is all based around an overall team style (core DNA) and then attributes that are important for the particular tactical role they fill in my systems.

So probably the best way to show the idea is the following:

KjlzXT.jpg

#10 is in the Central Winger CM-A role

#8 is in the AMC AM-SU role

#9 is in the AMC SS-A role

That is the idea behind the player numbering system I did. I would have a hard time remembering who filled what role as I switched systems so I just defined my players that way so it was easy for me to say oh yeah hey I need a #9 type player for this position in this tactic system and I have 9.1 Tom, 9.2 Frank, 9.3 Ben that are available and 9.3 Ben has the best Condition level right now so slot in him.

Tactical Philsophy

• Play out of the Back
  • High Counter Press of Attacking Players
  • Control of midfield space
  • GET STUCK IN
  • Able to control a game or sit and hit on the counter
  • Beautiful Team Goals

Thanks so much for sharing, this is awesome, the issue I have even before getting onto tactics is establishing attributes per role.

How do you manage this if you employ various roles per system?

I totally understand the club DNA which is great but let's use a simple example, imagine you had 3 systems all with one striker, for arguments sake, let's say Poacher / DLF / Advanced Forward

On top of the DNA how would you then construct player development / recruitment for a player to fill in each system and also to start with how many 'role attributes' would you focus on? For example, managing a league one side do you think 3 or 4 would be fine until you work your way up when you can focus on say 7 or 8?

Thanks so much for sharing, this is awesome, the issue I have even before getting onto tactics is establishing attributes per role.

How do you manage this if you employ various roles per system?

I totally understand the club DNA which is great but let's use a simple example, imagine you had 3 systems all with one striker, for arguments sake, let's say Poacher / DLF / Advanced Forward

On top of the DNA how would you then construct player development / recruitment for a player to fill in each system and also to start with how many 'role attributes' would you focus on? For example, managing a league one side do you think 3 or 4 would be fine until you work your way up when you can focus on say 7 or 8?

This was answered for you in the other thread already.. Change your thought process to be a PLAYER centered concept not a TACTICS centered concept. How your particular player interprets and plays the position/role you give him in your tactics is the beauty of the game to me. PPM's can tweak how one player plays in the exact same position/role over another. Use the In-Game Editor sometime and focus on one player and one position/role and tweak them and watch how they perform in the game (need to watch matches in Full to get a feel for this). Don't watch anything else but that player. Clear all their PPM's and then add a particular one you want to learn what it does by watching how their play changes in the next game. Don't need to be too controlled or scientific about it because you will see it if you focus on that player. Now do the same thing with the roles in a tactic. Set a DM to be a DM-D and watch what they do. Switch that to a DLP-D and see the difference. That is all the good stuff we got from Cleon.. the trick after that is keeping the roles fixed and changing the players in them now to see how they interpret it. Use the In-Game editor to change a players attributes to all 20s in the things you want them to focus on and 5 in every other stat.. extremes show you the affect. Hence the crafted team above I was using to see if a tactical idea would work. This is the learning tool/process.. once you "get it". Spin up a new save and build a team to reach that ideal.. I sense you are like me in terms of needing to know how things work to understand.. so use the In-Game editor and find out!

I have a vision for the PLAYER TYPE.. I just fit them into a tactical role/position based on what I want that particular tactic to accomplish on the field or what I tweak while watching games (always watch the first 15 minutes on Full). Ultimately the player still interprets that based on their attributes and PPMs..

I want all my #9 strikers to play like Robert Lewandowski.. what attributes does he have in the game that are 18+? What are his PPMs? Do I like those or not? How do I want my #9 to play?

Aggression, Bravery, Strength, Technique, First Touch, Heading, Jumping Reach, Finishing, Long Shots, Vision, Passing, Teamwork, Anticipation, Composure, Balance, Decisions, Work Rate. Moves into Channels, Tries Killer Balls Often, Shoots from Distance. Trained with the Target Man role and rotating Quickness, Balance and Finishing as individual training options depending on an individual players weakness.

I have a player squad view for each of the player types in my system and the key attributes I'm looking for in them to evaluate a new squad or where a player needs work.

Some great ideas mate, I never thought to look at established players to see what PPM' s they have, in truth, I have never used PPM's, not in any serious way because I don't really know which PPM's suit certain players plus if I shifted tactics half way through a season, the PPM's learned may well not adhere to that new tactic or shape.

Yes you're right, I like to try and understand how things work.

I've always tended to rely on attributes over PPM's just because I feel it a waste of training if I change formation the next season for example.

Very nice thread. I'm using a spreadsheet so i can calculate for every position/role , the total from x attributes for each player.

I'm doing this for my first team and youth future players .

I thought about doing that but then apparently certain attributes are weighted per role so it's not as simple as that, a mod confirmed that for me earlier today

I thought about doing that but then apparently certain attributes are weighted per role so it's not as simple as that, a mod confirmed that for me earlier today

A mod (me) stated that only SI devs know what the calculations are for role suitability, and that more than just attributes are taken into consideration. Someone else talked about weighted attributes, but that is (at best) an educated guess.

.. I've always tended to rely on attributes over PPM's just because I feel it a waste of training if I change formation the next season for example.

PLAYER centric...

Back to my #10 example.. his PPM's are: Tries Killer Balls Often, Plays One-Twos, Arrives late into the Opponent's Area.

Those are the tendencies I want that particular player type to have. Doesn't matter if he is playing the CM-A, AP-SU, AP-A role or in the AMC or CM position.. I want him to have those tendencies in his play. If I'm going to change my tactical system to such a point where that player doesn't have a home in the system anymore.. I'm going to just sell the player and buy one that does fit! I'd really think that one through though too because to me it is like Jose Mourinho changing his tactical system to match Pep Guardiola's..

I'll refer back to the 2 approaches from another thread I read recently:

1. Fit players to a tactical vision/system
  2. Fit the tactical system to the players

For me the ideal is #1 and what I set out to do.. sometimes you need to tweak systems for #2 until you can get there. But I always build my youth academy with #1 in mind hence the ideal player types I want and how to train and develop them. I can't say I change my approach for Lower Leagues either.. just the ideal attribute number threshold (so instead of 15 in all I drop it to 10-12 and maybe look for youth with 8-10 in my core DNA instead of 12).

A mod (me) stated that only SI devs know what the calculations are for role suitability, and that more than just attributes are taken into consideration. Someone else talked about weighted attributes, but that is (at best) an educated guess.

Not an educated guess, you are pretty much on the money

PLAYER centric...

Back to my #10 example.. his PPM's are: Tries Killer Balls Often, Plays One-Twos, Arrives late into the Opponent's Area.

Those are the tendencies I want that particular player type to have. Doesn't matter if he is playing the CM-A, AP-SU, AP-A role or in the AMC or CM position.. I want him to have those tendencies in his play. If I'm going to change my tactical system to such a point where that player doesn't have a home in the system anymore.. I'm going to just sell the player and buy one that does fit! I'd really think that one through though too because to me it is like Jose Mourinho changing his tactical system to match Pep Guardiola's..

I'll refer back to the 2 approaches from another thread I read recently:

1. Fit players to a tactical vision/system
  2. Fit the tactical system to the players

For me the ideal is #1 and what I set out to do.. sometimes you need to tweak systems for #2 until you can get there. But I always build my youth academy with #1 in mind hence the ideal player types I want and how to train and develop them. I can't say I change my approach for Lower Leagues either.. just the ideal attribute number threshold (so instead of 15 in all I drop it to 10-12 and maybe look for youth with 8-10 in my core DNA instead of 12).

love the way you do it, love organisation in FM

I reallly like this idea!

I often write down my team sheets (and rotated 11) on paper, along with transfer plans and what backroom staff I need

However, I think I might have to copy this. I love the feature on windows 10 where I can have two desktops going so I might have to use that and have the spreadsheet open in one.

Archived