FM16: A Terrible Tale of a Youth Only Challenge

Nottingham Forest

So for FM16 I'll be looking to complete this

challenge.

From the title you can already guess what team I am going to be. The team is Salford City. In short terms the club was taken over by five of the class of '92. The five in question were Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Nicky Butt and Paul Scholes. In September 2014, Peter Lim, Valencia Owner and Singaporean billionaire purchased a 50% stake in the club.The club secured promotion to the Northern Premier League Premier Division in the 2014-2015 season.

Full Wikipedia Page Here.

I have holidayed a season and they happened to be one of the promoted teams in the 2015-2016 season as well. So that's where my journey begins, on the 25th June 2016 as I aim to take Salford City up the leagues using youth players only.

?url=images.pitchero.com%2Fui%2F79596%2F1404118920_0.jpg&w=250&h=250&t=frame&bg=fff

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2016-2017 Season

Vanarama Conference North

Beginning

Advanced Set-Up - Initial Manager Profile - Manager Profile - Squad 1 - Squad 2 - Brendan Evans YP0a - Jon Buchanan YP0b - Jamie Robinson YP0c

So it's my first proper attempt at this challenge in a few years and hopefully it'll kickstart the FM bug again. I'm taking charge of Salford City FC and whilst we're expected to finish 11th in the league I'd like to think with the squad we have we could push the for the play-offs. The board are expecting a mid-table finish in the league along with us reaching the Fourth Qualifying Round of the FA Cup and the First Round of the FA Trophy.

As you can see from the squad it's got a North West feel to it. A lot of players who have come through the ranks at 'better' Manchester, Liverpool and other clubs. The squad has some good quality within it from the likes of Robbie Threlfall, Adam Mekki, Danny Webber, Nathan Luscombe, Tommy Miller, James Poole and Lionel Stone. Many of these players have higher league experience so hopefully that will stand us in good stead.

?url=images.pitchero.com%2Fui%2F79596%2F1404118920_0.jpg&w=250&h=250&t=frame&bg=fff

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2016-2017 Season

Youth Intake

So it's that day that I've been waiting for. Youth Intake Day! I was hoping for a striker who would look the part or another full back who could help take the pressure off my first choice. Unfortunately I didn't get a striker who looks like he'll make the grade but I did get a couple of defenders and few other handy looking players.

Salford%20City%20Youth%20Candidates%202016-17%20Season_zpsva6dht6v.png

Possibly not going to be our very own 'Class of '92' but I do have high hopes for Nicholas Walsh, Graeme Adams and Gary Smith. I do believe that Thomas Kenny could have a reasonable career with the club whilst Aaron Bodie will be given a chance. All will be moving into the first team once they've signed their contracts.

All youth players have been offered contracts.

I was thinking of doing something similar too, great idea for a thread and I will definitely be following this! :thup:

Cheer DB. It appears the stadium is too big as well but we don't fill it so I suppose the only detriment it's going to have now is cost for me. We're doing well. Adams has a chance of being number one next season.

Does the game actually list the class of 92 as the board?

Unfortunately not. I don't think they are in real life. I just think they each own 10% of the club with Lim owning 50%. Previous owner Karen Baird has remained as Chairwoman.

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2016-2017 Season

End of Season Review

Pre-Season Results - Results 1 - Results 2 - League Table - FA Cup Results - FA Trophy Results - Transfers - Staff Transfers - Finances - Chairwoman Cash Injection - Finances After Injection - 3rd in Manager of Year Award - Club End of Season Awards - Season Review - Pre-Season Start Date

Staff Transfers: Claire Houston, Andy Watson, Kevin Conrad, Luke Rodgers, Rees Nelson, Sean Riley, Stephen Linger, Steve Hockham and Stuart Coburn

League

Things couldn't have started much better in the league as we secured six wins and a draw from our first seven games. If we'd have won all seven we'd have been top by seven points. Instead it was just four. A narrow loss the Chorley followed. That loss seemed to kickstart a bad run of form where we won one game from seven. Our form remained consistent until the end of the year as we then went on a run where we won two and lost two for eight games. Despite our inconsistent form we were still in and around the play-offs. From New Years Eve until the 10th January we managed to put together a four game winning streak as we fluctuated around the play-offs. Our inconsistent form kicked in again as we only managed to win one game from eight. This dented our play-off hopes and had we won two more of those games it could have been a different story. The FC United game was the first game for us in two weeks as the Harrogate game was postponed. No better way than to beat your fierce rivals to get back that winning feeling. This game also saw us field eight or nine youngsters in the squad. A narrow loss to promotion chasing Harrogate left us with a battle to try and gatecrash the play-offs. We managed to lose only one of our last six games and going into the last game of the season we needed three teams to drop points and us to win in order to sneak 5th place. Unfortunately despite having 20 shots we couldn't break down the door. It didn't matter though as Blyth managed to win to secure the final play-off spot. We ended the season in 8th which is a success in my eyes.

FA Cup & FA Trophy

For most lower league teams they dream of reaching the third round and drawing a big team to earn some cash. Unfortunately for us we went out in the third qualifying round to divisional rivals Alfreton.

The FA Trophy was no different. We managed to get to the second round before collapsing to an embarrassing 3-1 defeat to Lewes.

Finances

As you can see from the screenshots above we haven't been doing to well on the finance front and we've had to rely on an end of season cash injection from the chairwoman. The board have reduced the wage budget for the coming season with their initial budgets. I can't say I blame them but we still have a reasonable amount left in the wage budget. We also had a few weeks where the board stopped any non-contract players receiving their clauses. Luckily this was restored after the cash injection.

Other News

I'm considered favourite for the Lincoln City job but I have no interest in leaving. We've managed to tie down some key players to new contracts as well.

Youth Player Updates

Jamie Robinson YP0c (MC) - Jamie managed to play in 26 games in all competitions this season with 24 of those coming in the league. He actually started 20 league games and scored the first goal by a youth player. He's signed his first full contract for two seasons.

Brendan Evans YP0a (GK) - When first choice Jay Lynch was injured for a short while Brendan stepped in and did well. He only played the four games but managed to keep one clean sheet and only conceding three goals. Never going to be anything more than back up to the back up. I'm confident he'll take that for the time being.

Jon Buchanan YP0b (DL) - Jon is yet to play a first team game due to Robbie Threlfall's good form. However, he's coming on nicely so hopefully in the near future he'll be given a chance to impress.

Gary Smith YP1c (GK) - Gary has taken over the number 1 jersey for the end of the season and has made 8 appearances, conceding 5 with 4 clean sheets.

Graeme Adams YP1b (DR/DC) - Graeme has slotted in a right back where he also played the final 8 games of the season and with each game he's looking more confident.

Thomas Kenny YP1d (MC/ML) - Thomas has looked the best so far as he's made 8 appearances. In those 8 games he's scored 1 and assisted 2.

Aaron Bodie YP1e (AMLR) - Aaron has played 6 games with 1 goal and 1 assist.

Glensworth Jervier(ST) and Paul Cole(MC) have both been given tags. Jervier has made his debut whilst Cole hasn't. Both are being tutored and their determination has improved drastically over the past couple of months. Nicholas Walsh YP1a(DC/DR) hasn't yet made is first team debut.

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2017-2018 Season

Pre-Season

Board, Media Expectations & Other Bits

Vanarama National League North: Mid-Table

Media Prediction: 11th

Title Odds: 40-1

FA Cup: Fourth Qualifying Round

FA Trophy: First Round

Season Ticket Sales: 232

Finances: £17,774

Wage Budget: £5,313(+£2,959)

Profit: £40,000

Results

Pre-Season%20Results%202017-18_zpsrwdc0j8y.png

Salford City 1-0 Stranraer

Salford City 2-0 Long Eaton United

Airbus UK 1-1 Salford City

Salford City 3-1 Abbey Hey

Salford City 2-2 Exeter City Under 21s

Salford City 2-2 Sunderland Under 21s

Salford City 4-0 Eastwood

Player & Staff News

As this is a youth challenge there will of course be no news on incoming players from other clubs. However, we have seen a few players depart the club. They are Gareth Seddon, Nathan Luscombe, Chris Lynch and Jordan Hulme. Seddon has retired to become a coach whilst the other three have departed. Luscombe left the club because of his lack of first team football. Despite him being good enough he wasn't consistent enough to play regularly. Lynch decided he'd moan about his lack of first team football and then be happy. He'd moan again and then be happy. Again he was too inconsistent and old so therefore he was allowed to leave. Hulme was sent out on loan during the first season and didn't impress there either. Despite being able to play in nearly every position apart from keeper he just wasn't good enough. We saw a number of key players sign new contracts to extend their stays until 2019 and they were Tommy Miller, James Poole, Robbie Threlfall, Liam Marrs, Jay Lynch, Sam Coulson, Adam Mekki, Lionel Stone, Sam Livesey, Matt Chadwick and Jamie Robinson. Robinson becomes the first youth player to put pen to paper on a full deal. Danny Webber, Scott Kay and Scott Burton have contracts until 2018. Webber is planning on retiring whilst Kay has retired from professional football.

The board granted some staff increased over the summer which meant I was able to improve on my backroom staff. Incoming we saw Chez Pearce, James Bittner, James Curtis, Jay May, Joe Burnell, Laurence Butroid, Scott Kinch and Thomas Price. We saw three members of the backroom staff depart and they were Andy Watson, Glenn Moses and Phil Priestley. Watson had been my assistant for the past season and he was extremely good. Unfortunately he had no interest in renewing his deal. Moses and Priestley had been on month to month contracts for the past season and now that I have found better they have been allowed to leave.

Other News

The board have allowed me to take my National C Licence along with gaining a pay increase from a contract clause so I am now earning £875 per week. Glensworth Jervier was delighted with his tutoring from Danny Webber which means he's now determined. The club have had a small reputation boost and the World Cup in 2022 has been moved to Argentina due to protests about scheduling.

I was offered this job interview but turned it down.

Aldershot%20Town%20Job%20Interview_zpsnot4iwz2.png

You just want them to beat Notts County this coming weekend.

A decent first season NF.

Not overly fussed if they do tbh. Hopefully it will be a good game.

8th isn't bad but it could have been so much better. Hopefully we can improve on last seasons finish.

The unbeaten preseason should help you get off to a solid start. Good luck for the new season ahead mate! :D

I'm never a fan of an unbeaten pre-season :(. It generally signals that I'm going to have a bad start to the season. I prefer a few losses as it brings the players 'back down to earth as such'.

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2017-2018 Season

August

Results

August%20Results%202017-18_zpsjwmxau9j.png

The month of August was a mixed and frustrating one as we only managed to pick up five points from a possible eighteen. We started off with a trip to Lincoln and we secured a very good point there in an even game. They were two up at half-time but luckily we managed to pull it back with Jamie Robinson YP0c getting the equaliser. Neither side could get the winner but a point away from home against a good side is not a bad start. Our second game of the season was against newly promoted Buxton. Former Nottingham Forest youngster Tom Sharpe put the ball into his own net to give us the lead after forty-one minutes. Unfortunately the lead didn't last as Adam Boyes levelled in stoppage time of the first half. Despite us being the dominant side we just couldn't get a second and ultimately we had to settle for another draw. A trip to Solihull Moors was our third game of the month and we finally came away with a victory. An even game saw us take the lead through Matt Chadwick just after half-time. Nathan Heath was sent off for the hosts on sixty-three minutes as the game stayed at 1-0. Our second away trip in a row saw us travel to Guiseley hoping to keep our unbeaten start going. For whatever reason we just never turned up and the hosts found themselves 2-0 up at the break. Thomas Kenny YP1d pulled one back on seventy-one minutes but we never deserved a draw. That defeat seemed to put us in shock as we lost our remaining two games of the month 4-2. Both games were at home and I wasn't happy with how we played. As with all former players, it's the law to go and score against your former team. Nathan Luscombe did that inside the first five minutes as Blyth beat us. Liam Blake scoring a hat-trick for them including a thirty yard thunderbolt to seal his hat-trick. The one positive for me was Ritchie Allen grabbing a brace in his first ever start during my time as manager. YP1f Paul Cole receiving his marching orders on the stroke of half-time probably didn't help matters. Worcester were our final visitors to Moor Lane. You generally get a jist of whether it's going to be your day or not and when Worcester's right back Clayton McDonald hit an attempted cross over my keeper inside the backpost after fourteen minutes I got that feeling. Ritchie Allen grabbed his third in two games to pull us level after fifty-eight minutes before Sam Walker put them back in front on sixty-four. Lewis Byrne-Hewitt scored a brace with goals on seventy-six and eighty-five minutes which sandwiched Jamie Robinson YP0c's second goal of the season.

Lincoln City 2-2 Salford City

Salford City 1-1 Buxton

Solihull Moors 0-1 Salford City

Guiseley 2-1 Salford City

Salford City 2-4 Blyth

Salford City 2-4 Worcester

League

In the league we sit 20th in the table and in the relegation zone. However, I am not concerned as we just need to put a string of results together and I'm confident we'll slowly climb the table.

Vanarama%20National%20League%20North%20August%202017-18%20Season_zpso7nsarn8.png

I'm never a fan of an unbeaten pre-season :(. It generally signals that I'm going to have a bad start to the season. I prefer a few losses as it brings the players 'back down to earth as such'.

A couple of good results in the preseason is important for the team's morale, it's always best to start the campaign with a happy squad :)

My idea of a perfect pre-season is getting the run-around by some better teams and then hammering both the Reserves and the Youth squad just before the 1st league game. :lol:

A couple of good results in the preseason is important for the team's morale, it's always best to start the campaign with a happy squad :)

Don't get me wrong, I do like a few wins in pre-season but I don't like to be unbeaten.

This looks a fantastic idea and a fantastic challenge.

The only negative is that I didn't think of it myself.

I will be an avid reader. :thup:

Hopefully we get to the stage where we're dominating the Premier League :D. I finally watched the first episode of the documentary about the club on BBC1 yesterday and I have to say it was rather good. Their ground is smaller that the game states but it's a nice ground.

My idea of a perfect pre-season is getting the run-around by some better teams and then hammering both the Reserves and the Youth squad just before the 1st league game. :lol:

I couldn't have that but I know what you mean.

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2017-2018 Season

September

Results

September%202017-18%20Results_zpsxm0de8ng.png

The month of September continued as August finished as we still couldn't find a win. Lowestoft beating us 5-3 at their place. Jamie Robinson YP0c put us in front before Tobi Joseph put them 2-1 ahead. Sam Livesey scored for us just before half-time but straight after the break Lowestoft grabbed two quick goals through Theo Brierley and a Lionel Stone own goal. Sam Livesey scored his second on 88 minutes before Jack Curtis grabbed a fifth for them on 89. Our second game of the month saw us entertain Bradford Park Avenue at Moor Lane. Unfortunately neither side felt like doing any entertaining as the game finished as a boring scoreless draw. I suppose when things are going right for you they just don't go right. A visit to Wetherby Road to face Harrogate followed and we put in a solid display. With the game looking like it was heading for a draw, Jordan Cox popped up to grab his second of the game for Harrogate to secure a 3-2 victory for them and make it six games without a win. Three home games followed and we managed to win two out of the three. First up was Chorley and we managed to beat them 3-1. I'd like to claim a tactical masterclass as I stripped everything back and went to no type of style and just hoped the players would play well. They did, however, despite an even game we managed to score two late goals through James Poole and Sam Livesey. Against Hednesford we weren't actually that bad. They had the better of the chances and took the lead on 24 minutes through Saul Hamer. Lionel Stone decided to make things easier for them when he was sent off for an off the ball challenge on 69 minutes. Ryan Rose scored a late goal for them to give them a 2-0 victory. AFC Telford was the third home game and it was in the FA Cup. We were extremely lucky to win this one as AFC Telford had the better of the chances. Sam Coulson put us one up on four minutes before Ben Jago equalised for the visitors on 37. Star striker James Poole grabbed our second just a minute later before grabbing his second and our third on the stroke of half-time. Our final game of the month was against Nuneaton. Sam Livesey continued his good form as he put us one up on 22 minutes. James Poole grabbed his third in two games on 36 minutes before Aaron Williams grabbed one back for the hosts on 40. Adam Mekki grabbed our third on 79 minutes before Luke McCormick gave us a nervy couple of minutes with their second on 89. Luckily we managed to hold on.

Lowestoft 5-3 Salford City

Salford City 0-0 Bradford Park Avenue

Harrogate 3-2 Salford City

Salford City 3-1 Chorley

Salford City 0-2 Hednesford

Salford City 3-1 AFC Telford

Nuneaton 2-3 Salford City

League

In the league we've moved up to 18th in the league but we still sit just two points above the relegation zone. I'm not worried at the moment as we're playing some good football so if we can continue improving slightly each month we should pull ourselves away from the relegation places.

Vanarama%20National%20League%20North%20September%202017-18%20Season_zpsvg6dmlmr.png

Job Offers

Hayes%20amp%20Yeading%20Job%20Interview%20September_zpstqw7oibn.png

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2017-2018 Season

October

Results

The month of October started off in great fashion as we managed to extend our winning run to four games. Our first visit of the month was to Gainsborough where we managed to secure a 2-1 victory. Dominic Roma scored a flukey crossshot that sailed over Gary Smith YP1c's head on 25 minutes. Aaron Bodie YP1e got the equaliser on 57 before minutes before Sam Livesey grabbed a late winner for us. On the face of things it was the right result but we had to work hard for it. There was another away visit in store for our second game of the season as we faced Kings Lynn in the FA Cup. Louis-Rae Beadle out the hosts ahead before Sam Livesey equalised soon after. James Poole grabbed our second just before half-time before Paul Cole YP1f scored the third to seal the win on 79. Against Boston United we never really got going. Michael West grabbed a brace for the opposition with his first coming from the spot on 10 minutes. Paul Cole YP1f received his marching orders for a second yellow on 58 and just four minutes later West grabbed his second. Our next game was also in the FA Cup as we travelled to Buxton. It was clear from the outset that neither side wanted to defend as we took a fourth minute lead through Sam Livesey. Thomas Kenny YP1d out us two up before Lewis Nuttall got one back for them just after. Adam Mekki restored the two goal advantage for us before Adam Boyes and Lewis Nuttall grabbed Buxton's second and third goals just before half-time. A penalty from Boyes put Buxton ahead for the first time on 47 minutes before Mekki got his second about a minute later to even things up again. Just before the hour mark Aram Soleman put Buxton back in front and I thought that was game over. I decided to go for it and set the team to go for an overload mentality. James Poole decided to score a thirteen minute hat-trick to put us 7-5 up before Sam Coulson rounded off the scoring on 81 minutes. Whether we had a hangover from the Buxton game or not, we had much quieter game against Curzon Ashton. An even game saw us take the lead through James Poole before Enock Likoy-Elumba scored for them just before 60. Ashley Worsfold scored what proved to be the winner with twenty minutes to go as we lost. Our final game of the month was a trip to Aggborough to face Kidderminster. Another even game followed and Diaz Wright got the winner on 15 minutes for the home side.

Gainsborough Trinity 1-2 Salford City

Kings Lynn 1-3 Salford City

Salford City 0-2 Boston United

Buxton 5-8 Salford City

Salford City 1-2 Curzon Ashton

Kidderminster 1-0 Salford City

League

In the league we sit in eighteenth position just one point above the relegation zone. If I didn't think we were in a relegation battle before, I do now. Hopefully we can get enough results to kick on.

Vanarama%20National%20League%20North%20October_zpsxc7vouna.png

Job Offers

Worcester%20City%20Job%20Interview_zpsofbp8sr7.png

Solihull%20Moors%20Job%20Interview_zpsdk61vsk3.png

Most Forest fans don't care about Notts County. They actually take a lot of pity on them due the **** they've gone through over the years. It only becomes something of a rivalry when we play them in a match and even then we aren't fussed. Notts County fans seen the rivalry as a bit more than something.

Derby County on the other hand..................

Really? I laugh my arse off when Port Vale get embarrassed by a non league team (for example Canvey Island and Chasetown).
Most Forest fans don't care about Notts County. They actually take a lot of pity on them due the **** they've gone through over the years. It only becomes something of a rivalry when we play them in a match and even then we aren't fussed. Notts County fans seen the rivalry as a bit more than something.

Derby County on the other hand..................

In twelve hours or so you may get your wish (though Derby are currently the better side) :p

Salford Fc are not on my fm15.

Anyone help?

In FM15, they were not playing at tier six level (Northern Premier League), so they would not get promoted to the Conference North after a season. They won their league to gain promotion to the Northern Premier League last season in real life, hence they are now at tier seven and can win promotion after a season in game in FM16.

In twelve hours or so you may get your wish (though Derby are currently the better side) :p

Last time we were on a bad run we managed to beat them :D. It was also a day where I won a large amount on two football accumulators. I also called the Derby/Forest result right but didn't bet on it. I think I even called the Forest scorers as well.

Sorry i mean FM16, the beta im currently playing

You will have to holiday a season and hope they win promotion from the unplayable English Leagues. Reset date for England is the 25th June. If you holiday until the 24th and save your game. This will enable you to have many attempts at reloading if they don't come up straight away.

Last time we were on a bad run we managed to beat them :D. It was also a day where I won a large amount on two football accumulators. I also called the Derby/Forest result right but didn't bet on it. I think I even called the Forest scorers as well.

You will have to holiday a season and hope they win promotion from the unplayable English Leagues. Reset date for England is the 25th June. If you holiday until the 24th and save your game. This will enable you to have many attempts at reloading if they don't come up straight away.

Nice one!

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2017-2018 Season

November

Results

November%20Results%202017-18%20Season_zps7odnxj0p.png

I can't complain with how the month of November has gone to be honest. Our reward for getting to the first round of the FA Cup was a trip to the seaside to face Blackpool. We were never really in the game and that was down to young Blackpool striker Armani Little who grabbed four goals in the first half to put the home side in full control. James Poole made the score respectable at one point as he made it 2-1 with our only goal in the 22nd minute. That was the only joy we had and Chris Hussey scored Blackpool's fifth in the 86th minute. In the month of November we faced two relegation rivals. One being Alfreton and the other being Redditch. Against Alfreton we fell behind early on before Sam Livesey equalised just before half-time. Just before the hour mark James Poole grabbed the winner to give us an important win. Our first home game of the month was that against Redditch. We scored two goals inside the first 33 minutes which gave us victory in what was a boring game. Our final game of the month was against Northwich in the FA Trophy. It was a weird start as neither side wanted to give much away. However, in the 33rd minute we gave away a penalty. Luckily for us our keeper managed to save it. From that we nearly gave away another penalty as one of our players slid in from behind to clear the ball for a corner. From the resulting corner we did give away another penalty. Northwich didn't miss this one as they took the lead. Sam Livesey hadn't given up and three minutes later we were back on level terms. He then scored his second and third goals mid way through the second half to give us a comfortable lead. Adam Mekki extended that lead further with fifteen minutes to go before Oliver Crossley scored an own goal to make it 5-1.

Blackpool 5-1 Salford City

Alfreton Town 1-2 Salford City

Salford City 2-0 Redditch

Salford City 5-1 Northwich

League

In the league we have moved up to 15th place but we're still in a relegation battle. We had a good month in November so hopefully we can kick on to distance ourselves from the relegation places.

Vanarama%20National%20League%20North%20November_zpsd6bbaen2.png

Job Offers

Boston%20United%20Job%20Interview_zpscxa9iji4.png

Bradford%20Park%20Avenue%20Job%20Interview_zpsfdrvgdgl.png

Other News

I signed a new contract.

New%20Contract_zpswfvqqpdx.png

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2017-2018 Season

December

Results

Results%20December%202017-18%20Season_zpsa4bw31y8.png

The month of December was a dreadful one as we lost all four games. We started off with our only home game of the month as we faced Altrincham. Adam Mekki and James Poole put us two up before half-time. Unfortunately for us we couldn't hold that lead as Johan ter Horst scored goals in the 48th and 65th minute to level. As it looked like the game would finish in a draw, Thomas Powell got the winner for the visitors. In the FA Trophy we faced a higher level opponent in Mansfield Town. Despite giving a good account of ourselves, Warren Clarke got the only goal of the game to knock us out. Against Darlington 1883, Adam Mekki put us one up after 22 minutes. Unfortunately the hosts scored three goals in 19 minutes to seal the win. Buxton were our final opponents of the month and it ended in another defeat. Adam Mekki put us one up inside a minute but unfortunately for us Buxton decided they'd score a goal just after half hour and then another two minutes before half-time.

Salford City 2-3 Altrincham

Mansfield Town 1-0 Salford City

Darlington 1883 3-1 Salford City

Buxton 2-1 Salford City

League

In the league we sit in the bottom three. We have a few games in hand over a couple of teams so hopefully we can turn our fortunes around to get ourselves out of this mess.

Vanarama%20National%20League%20North%20December%202017-18%20Season_zpss1sijiaw.png

Finances

Finances%20December_zpss1yq3xjy.png

Player Contract Renewals

In December I decided to start the process of offering key players new contracts. We saw eight players sign new contracts and they were Sam Coulson, Robbie Threlfall, Lionel Stone, Adam Mekki, James Poole, Sam Livesey, Glensworth Jervier YP1g and Jamie Robinson YP0c. All players signed new deals until 2020.

Other News

I passed my first coaching badge.

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2017-2018 Season

January

Results

Results%20January%202017-18%20Season_zpsq07su6p7.png

The month of January was a good one but it could have been better. We got off to a great start winning our first two games before losing two. Four games in the space of seven days is always going to be tough for any side. But for a part-time non-league side it's going to be nigh on impossible to maintain a good run. Either way we started off with AFC Telford visiting us at Moor Lane. Despite us being the better side we couldn't break the deadlock until the 83rd minute when Adam Mekki scored. The Guiseley game was the complete opposite. They had the chances but we still came out winners. With five goals coming in the first 32 minutes it was a hectic start. Sam Livesey grabbing the first on thirteen minutes before Danny Webber got our second on seventeen. Guiseley pulled level with two goals in four minutes but Sam Livesey decided to get another less than a minute after Guiseley's equaliser which secured us a crucial victory. The games against Blyth and Solihull Moors were absolute shambles as we were tore apart by two hat-tricks. Dan Maguire got a hat-trick for Blyth as they ran out comfortable 4-1 winners. Jamie Robinson YP0c scoring our only goal. In the game against Solihull Moors we couldn't deal with Florent Bojaj as he got himself a hat-trick as they ran out 4-0 winners. Against Lincoln City we didn't actually play that badly. Had the assistant not made a horrendous call early on it could have been a different result. Thomas Kenny YP1d had looked to play a good pass to the man squared here. Unfortunately my player was ruled offside. Lee Angol then put the visitors one up shortly after that before Jonathyn Quinn got two goals on 43 and 73 minutes respectively. Sam Livesey got our only goal of the game with twelve minutes left. This prompted the board to call a meeting where if I failed to attend they would sack me. They weren't happy with how we'd played against Lincoln City. I tried to blame the players twice but they weren't having it. I begged to be allowed to stay and they agreed on one condition. I win my next game. That next game was against Worcester. I decided to change tactics and go for a more defensive 4-4-2. It worked a treat as James Poole got the only goal of the game after 56 minutes. I got this notification after the game which was nice to see. The board were also happy and decided that they wouldn't sack me. Our final game of the month saw me stick with the same tactics from the Worcester game. That game was against Lowestoft as we recorded a 3-1 victory. Adam Mekki put us one up inside five minutes before Nicholas Walsh YP1a scored our second on seventeen. James Poole got our third ten minutes later. We never looked like losing and even when Ben Birch scored one for the visitors with twenty minutes to go we still didn't look like losing.

Salford City 1-0 AFC Telford

Salford City 3-2 Guiseley

Blyth 4-1 Salford City

Salford City 0-4 Solihull Moors

Salford City 1-3 Lincoln City

Worcester 0-1 Salford City

Salford City 3-1 Lowestoft

League

In the league we have managed to climb back up to 15th but we're still only two points ahead of 20th. It's going to be close so we need to start winning.

Vanarama%20National%20League%20North%20January%202017-18%20Season_zpskahlnxyz.png

Player Contract Renewals

In January we saw four players sign new contracts. All of them youngsters. The players in question were Thomas Kenny YP1d, Brendan Evans YP0a, Jon Buchanan YP0b and Paul Cole YP1f.

Great thread, you have inspired me to try the same! :)

Thanks Searley60. I have to say it's one of my most enjoyable saves in recent years. Even if we are a little poor at times. Hopefully we can get away from trouble and stay up.

Really enjoying the save already. :thup:

Polite request though. Is there any chance you could add a goal-scorers column to your result pics? (Maybe even attendances too). ;)

Cheers Jimbo. I like the green, yellow and red dots though. Obviously the green ones more. I link a screenshot of the match stats page as well which has all the attendances on :D. Just means more looking for people.

Cheers Jimbo. I like the green, yellow and red dots though. Obviously the green ones more. I link a screenshot of the match stats page as well which has all the attendances on :D. Just means more looking for people.

Are you aware that you can customize is so that it shows exactly what you want it to show?

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2017-2018 Season

February

Results

Results%20February%202017-18%20Season_zpsr2codoyw.png

I was hoping we could continue our run from January into February but how wrong I was. We started off the month with a trip to Bradford to face Bradford Park Avenue. Paul Marshall put the hosts in front after one minute before Glensworth Jervier YP1g equalised after ten minutes. Just before half-time Adi Yussuf put BPA two up. Rai Simons got the hosts third goal of the game as they secured a good win. The Harrogate was similar to much of the season to be honest. We can't defend and they scored first as James Yates put them in front six minutes after the restart. James Poole equalised shortly after before Dany N'Guessan got the winner for them nineteen minutes from time. Against Chorley we didn't do that badly, but neither did they. Both sides cancelled each other out as it ended in a scoreless draw. The final game of the month saw us entertain Nuneaton at Moor Lane. We had the worst possible start as Robbie Threlfall tried to pass the ball back to our keeper. Unfortunately it was a wayward pass into the far corner which our keeper couldn't stop and we found ourselves one down through a comical own goal. The next nine minutes were just as bad as Billy Daniels smashed a hat-trick to all but secure win for the away side. We tried our hardest to get back into the game and even though we scored two goals through Nicholas Walsh YP1a and Adam Mekki, we were never really in it.

Bradford Park Avenue 3-1 Salford City

Salford City 1-2 Harrogate

Chorley 0-0 Salford City

Salford City 2-4 Nuneaton

League

In the league we're back down to 20th after an horrific month where we only managed to pick up one point from a possible twelve.

Vanarama%20National%20League%20North%20February%202017-18%20Season_zpstaesbq0e.png

Other News

There was one player departure this month as Gary Stopforth left the club as he was unhappy with his lack of first team football.

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2017-2018 Season

Youth Intake

Whilst my staff don't think we've had as good an intake as last year. I think we have. I do believe we've got a number of youngsters who could well be challenging for first team places in years to come.

Salford%20City%20Youth%20Candidates%202017-18%20Season_zpsmlojmqtv.png

All of the youngsters have been offered youth deals but I believe that ten of the players could prove to have reasonable careers with us. They are Lewis Thomas, David Holmes, Jack Linley, Joe Lockett, Jon Ledsham, Lee Smith, Stephen Robinson, Steve Redmond, Thomas Bowen and Tim Backhouse

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2017-2018 Season

March

Results

Results%20March%202017-18%20Season_zpsvps3x7d4.png

We started off the month how we finished last month. Losing! Our first game was away against Hednesford. I have to say I'm starting to dislike Saul Hamer. He decided that he'd open the scoring on fifteen minutes. A Lionel Stone own goal and Charlie Scott finish put the home side three up. We clawed one back five minutes later through an own goal ourselves through Lloyd Ransome. Saul Hamer grabbed his second with just over twenty minutes to go before Adam Mekki made it 4-2. Hamer got his hat-trick with two minutes to go. Another change in tactic happened as I went back to my 4-2-3-1 formation but we were more attacking now. Boston United were the unlucky side as we recorded a 4-1 victory. Adam Mekki scoring the first and fourth goals as they sandwiched goals from Matt Chadwick and James Poole. Former Arsenal youngster Craig Eastmond got Boston's only goal of the game in the 83rd minute. An even game at home to Gainsborough followed as we managed to secure a 2-0 win. Robbie Threlfall putting us ahead after 25 minutes with a delightful free-kick. Sam Coulson picked up two yellow cards in quick succession as we had to play the remaining thirty minutes or so with ten men. I decided to go defensive and whilst Gainsborough pushed for an equaliser they just couldn't get it. With a minute to go we were awarded a penalty which James Poole converted to give us a crucial victory. Our third away game of the month saw us visit Curzon Ashton. Jamie Robinson YP0c put us one up after just seven minutes before Thomas Kenny YP1d doubled our lead after 26. Both goals being great long range strikes. Aaron Knight made it nervy for us as he pulled one back after 68 minutes. Luckily for us James Poole grabbed our third with eight minutes left to secure another victory. Four away games in one month. Who'd have thought it. We travelled to Redditch for the final game of the month and what a start we had. James Atkinson and Adam Mekki put us three up after just seventeen minutes. Curtis Bateson pulled one back two minutes later before Martin Wilkinson made it 3-2 after 33 minutes. Bateson grabbed his second with just five minutes of the first half to go. Much to my annoyance. Former Liverpool youngster Craig Lindfield put Redditch in front with a converted penalty with sixteen minutes to go. Thinking we were beat I was delighted when Jamie Robinson YP0c equalised with just five minutes to go. I would have taken the draw but we got a bit of luck in stoppage time when Redditch passed the ball back to their keeper who tried to clear it. James Poole was closing down and it ricocheted off him and into the net to give us an unlikely victory.

Hednesford 5-2 Salford City

Boston United 1-4 Salford City

Salford City 2-0 Gainsborough Trinity

Curzon Ashton 1-3 Salford City

Redditch 4-5 Salford City

League

In the league we're back up to 15th and we're now six points clear. It's one of the biggest gaps we've had over some of our relegation rivals and if we can get a few more wins we should be fine.

Vanarama%20National%20League%20North%20March%202017-18%20Season_zpsonqj1ylg.png

Other News

Aaron Bodie YP1e signed a new contract to keep him at the club until 2020. Shrewsbury manager Micky Mellon has been seen at our ground and is interested in signing Gary Smith YP1c. Due to this interest I decided to offer Gary Smith YP1c a pre-contract which he has agreed. Sam Livesey and James Poole both picked up injuries which could rule them out for the rest of the season. Tim Backhouse YP2b picked up a long term injury. Danny Webber announced during pre-season that he would retire. I decided to try and persuade him to re-consider his decision but he still wants to retire at the end of the season.

You have a follower here, I'm currently playing as King's Lynn for dafuge challenge and did a youth challenge last year with Dulwich Hamlet and Bury Town on FM14. Salford are a great club to start this with :)

Loving the versatility of Lewis Thomas too. :thup:

He is but it's a shame he's not more of a central midfielder. Although if Thomas Kenny YP1d continues to play as he is doing then Lewis Thomas will have difficulty getting into the side.

You have a follower here, I'm currently playing as King's Lynn for dafuge challenge and did a youth challenge last year with Dulwich Hamlet and Bury Town on FM14. Salford are a great club to start this with :)

Cheers smp20. I'm enjoying it. Even if we are a little frustrating at times.

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2017-2018 Season

April

Results

Results%20April%202017-18%20Season_zpspz4ipnrv.png

What a horrific month and a gutting way to go. The Kidderminster game came too soon after our epic victory against Redditch and half of the squad weren't fit enough for the game. I still decided to play them in the hope that they could find something to get us over the line. The 3-0 defeat flatters them as they weren't that good. Two suspicious penalties from Stephen Turnbull and a late goal from Brian Barton. Going into the Alfreton game we were still six points ahead of them. Had we won, it would have left us nine points clear with three games left. So all but safe. Unfortunately we capitulated. Monty Patterson grabbing himself a hat-trick with goals in the 36th, 77th and 88th minute. Matt Chadwick and Adam Mekki had got our goals with Connor Dimaio and Peter Vernon getting Alfreton's other goals. Against Altrincham we weren't much better as they took an eighteenth minute lead through Dominic Collins. James Horsfield added another with a converted penalty after thirty-two minutes before Anthony Barry put them three up. Sam Livesey pulled one back for us four minutes after the hour mark before James Atkinson picked up two yellows soon after to leave us chasing the game. Thomas Powell scored a fourth with five minutes to go. Against AFC Telford we weren't at our best. It looked as though the game would be heading for a draw until we conceded a penalty that Isaac Buckley converted after 73 minutes. Adam Mekki equalised with five minutes to go meaning it went down to the final game. Against Darlington 1883 we didn't turn up. Mich'el Parker put the visitors one up with a penalty after 23 minutes before Freddy Tracey added a second a few minutes later. As we pushed to try and get something from the game Louis Robles rounded off the scoring on 70 minutes to condemn us to relegation.

Salford City 0-3 Kidderminster

Salford City 2-5 Alfreton Town

Altrincham 4-1 Salford City

AFC Telford 1-1 Salford City

Salford City 0-3 Darlington 1883

League

We finish 20th the league and we're relegated.

Vanarama%20National%20League%20North%20April%202017-18%20Season_zpsegvaussq.png

Finances

Finances%20April%202017-18%20Season_zpsb9dl2qlg.png

Other News

Scott Kay and Brian Smith both signed new deals. The board decided to call a meeting to discuss my future. For now I have kept my job.

mosa1.jpg

Salford City FC

2017-2018 Season

End of Season Review

League: 20th(Relegated)

It was always going to be a tough second season and with the added pressure on the youngster we knew we would have to take our chances when they came. Unfortunately some of the senior players didn't stand up when we needed them to which meant I was having to play youngsters in certain games where a bit of experience may have helped. With a media prediction of eleventh I was hopeful that we would have enough firepower to finish just above the relegation places and then look to push on the season after. That never materialised and we were constantly looking over our shoulder. Conceding 91 goals in the league is embarrassing and part of that is down to myself but a lot of it is down to the players. Maybe I shouldn't have been playing a minimum of four or five youngsters in the majority of matches of the season. Maybe I'll never know.

Either way it's a shame and I'll never get to see how the likes of Gary Smith YP1c and Thomas Kenny YP1d develop especially. The latter having an outstanding season as he played in every league game bar one with an average rating of over 7.

Top Goalscorer: James Poole - 21

Top League Goalscorer: - Adam Mekki - 15

Most Assists: Robbie Threlfall - 21

Cups

If we'd have had an FA Cup run then maybe things would have be different. Getting to the FA Cup 1st Round was an achievement whilst we got to the FA Trophy North 1st Round.

End of Season League Table - Transfers

Ultimately I was sacked.............

Salford%20Sack%20Daly_zpsvup9amyg.png

Archived