Becoming an international manager?

I'm doing a career thread and have managed a number of clubs in the past 4 years, winning 7 trophies including the uefa cup a couple of times, a few promotions etc. I've only been taking over clubs with a few months of the season to go as an experiment to not buy players have to shape the season.

My question however is around international management, I applied for the vacant england manager job which is now just before the 2018 world cup, and I was 'laughed off' with the approach with them appointing Ronny Delia (of Celtic fame). Running on a week I've been offered jobs at Man City, Man Utd and Bayern without even applying. Currently managing at Valencia.

So I've tried faking a number of international roles in a duplicate save and I can't get any of them but I can get any club job in the world who are all flattered to be linked. I've lost to Sam Allardyce for england as well.

Just wondered if this was a known thing, if theres something I'm doing wrong? Just seems odd for Bayern to be flattered with England 'et al' to laugh it off

Odd. I applied for and was offered the (part-time :o ) England job in my sixth season, and I've never won a league, a cup, or anything except the EURO cup thingy (once).

I wonder if it depends who else is available at the time. If your only competition is Steve "Mr Potato Head" Bruce then it's going to be easier than if you're up against Fergie and Brian Clough's ghost.

What nationality are you in the game? Because the FA are heavily favoured towards English managers on FM, so as a foreigner it will be almost impossible to get the England job. "Foreigner" in this case includes Welsh, Scottish, and Irish...

What nationality are you in the game? Because the FA are heavily favoured towards English managers on FM, so as a foreigner it will be almost impossible to get the England job. "Foreigner" in this case includes Welsh, Scottish, and Irish...

I don't think that's true, Hodgson was replaced by Brendan Rodgers (who is Northern Irish), who in turn was replaced by Carlo Ancelotti in my save.

I'm English. So definitely not that, and Zinidene Zindane has been england manager and they picked foreign over me

Just confused really as obviously my reputation is good enough I got offered the Man U job before they gave it to Mourinho but then they give it to Sam Allardyce or Ronny Delia. Same for any of the national teams having run an alternative save to see whats happening.

England have a massively over-the-top idea of who's good enough to be their manager in-game. You basically have to wait for them to come to you. If you keep being successful, different countries will offer you jobs without you having to apply. Once you've got a few of them under your belt then England will come calling.

I've had both experiences, and not just with England. One save I had taken US Colomiers up to Ligue Un, won that league, won the Champions League. I managed to get the France U-19s manager job also, and won the U19 European Championships twice. Three times the France manager job came open and all three times I was turned down, twice for managers I'd never heard of. I also couldn't get jobs with Spain and England along the way.

Another save, after winning the Champions League a couple times, England head-hunted me after they crashed out of the World Cup in 2018. Spain had also crashed out, sacked their manager, and they laughed me off when I applied for that job. I ended up at England, of course.

The one difference I could see was, at that point in the US Colomiers save, was I hadn't gotten my Continental Pro license yet--the board kept refusing me because they wanted me at training. Whereas the other save I had my Pro license at that point. I wonder if that makes a difference?

England have a massively over-the-top idea of who's good enough to be their manager in-game. You basically have to wait for them to come to you. If you keep being successful, different countries will offer you jobs without you having to apply. Once you've got a few of them under your belt then England will come calling.

That tickles me cos they'd hire Graeme Sounness and David Moyes in my game.

Archived